Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Frontrunners Sanders and Warren get the edge in the latest Dem

1235»

Comments

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114
    Byronic said:

Am I allowed to ask how Brexit will financially benefit you? Genuinely curious.

I work in finance so the pot I am paid out of is essentially in USD. A weaker GBP as a result of Brexit means I will probably get paid more in GBP terms, and in real terms since a lot of my consumption basket is domestic services. Of course it is possible that Brexit is such a clusterfuck that I lose my job. I suspect that is more likely if Corbyn gets in, but I will still vote Labour because I think they will do more to help the less well off and I can probably look after myself.
    It's not that hard to see why Brexit was funded by many people in this sector, they are all short GBP by the nature of having USD revenues and GBP costs (plus they want more freedom to do whatever they want and think that is more likely outside of the EU). Bamford is similar, as I believe they sell mostly outside the EU and so the loss of market access issue is not such a problem for them, unlike the auto sector.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

At a particularly tedious meeting this morning, I was musing on the notion we currently have FIVE ex-Prime Ministers still alive and seemingly all in rude health:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

When was the last occasion in recent times there were as many as five ex Prime Ministers still alive?

I was thinking the same just yesterday! They are also all against No Deal Brexit and certainly pre TM against any Brexit...
    Thatcher would been pro Brexit
    She was a one world globalist. Trump would have thought she was the devil.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

At a particularly tedious meeting this morning, I was musing on the notion we currently have FIVE ex-Prime Ministers still alive and seemingly all in rude health:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

When was the last occasion in recent times there were as many as five ex Prime Ministers still alive?

I was thinking the same just yesterday! They are also all against No Deal Brexit and certainly pre TM against any Brexit...
    The psychiatric wards are full of men who claim to be Napoleon, or who believe that Thatcher would have been pro-Brexit.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

Thatcher, Callaghan, Wilson, Heath, and Douglas-Home were all alive in 1995
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

kinabalu said:

the whole of Brexit was totally avoidable if UK politicans had not ignored large slices of the electorate. This is simply the modern version of the Peasants revolt.

The peasants may well be revolting but so is middle England and the whole thing is led by the nobs.

To me, Brexit is above all a project of the reactionary right of politics. Its core appeal is to identity not economics - hence its power.
    the middle classes are having a tantrum because the electorate is saying they doint like policies which only favour the middle classes.
    If by middle classes you mean anyone working for a living then yes we have had enough of being squeezed further at the expense of those relying on state support, especially the demographic that is far richer than us, owns acres of land, voted for Brexit and now want us to fully compensate them for their loss in income from Brexit whilst our jobs become more risky and stressful.
    then maybe you should have spent more time listening to the other demographics and you would have avoided the problem.
    How exactly? Pensio anything and nothing happens.

They are even planning to bring down the court system to stop paying a tv license they can perfectly well afford. How would that help law and order which they claim to care about?

Older people voted for Brexit for a wide range of reasons, but common to many is that the economic case was secondary to the emotional and political case.

youre simply suffering the penalties for the mistakes made 10-15 years ago and which the people you vote for implemented. the Breo party has graped the nettle.

-
    The people in charge of society 10-15 years ago are the same people I am complaining about!! It was not up to me, my cohort or those younger than me who tended to vote remain, because jobs and the economy are important to our future.
    why do you think jobs and the economy arrent important to older people ?

Because they voted Leave!!!

So age and wisdom gets the result.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

Early 1980s, Macmilan, Home, Wilson, Heath, Callaghan
    Fake news. The last occasion was 1995.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Byronic said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

the whole of Brexit was totally avoidable if UK politicans had not ignored large slices of the electorate. This is simply the modern version of the Peasants revolt.

The peasants may well be revolting but so is middle England and the whole thing is led by the nobs.

To me, Brexit is above all a project of the reactionary right of politics. Its core appeal is to identity not economics - hence its power.
    the middle classes are having a tantrum because the electorate is saying they doint like policies which only favour the middle classes.
    If by middle classes you mean anyone working for a living then yes we have had enough of being squeezed further at the expense of those relying on state support, especially the demographic that is far richer than us, owns acres of land, voted for Brexit and now want us to fully compensate them for their loss in income from Brexit whilst our jobs become more risky and stressful.
    The upper middle classes voted Remain and the lower middle classes were split, it was working class C2 and DE voters who won the referendum for Leave
    If Goodwin is correct, Leave was a coalition between the poor, the retired, and wealthy social conservatives. Two by themselves is not enough, all three had to be present.
    Simplistic. How does a Leaver like Rob Smithson, of this manor, fit into any of those categories?
    @rcs1000 is a fine gentleman who makes many interesting YouTubes that I will one day watch and who kindly approves my articles, so I will not hear a word against him.

However if you do wish to complain about Goodwin's categories, Matthew Goodwin does have his own Twitter and I assume he would respond.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If by middle classe and stressful.
    There are very few "far richer than us", owning "acres of land". Not enough to account for 52 per cent of the Referendum vote.

To win the referendum, Leave had to get the votes of the poor.

Middle class remainers lost because they forgot how many poor people there are.
    and didnt give a shit about them
    That's bollocks. Your average middle class Remainer is much more concerned about the poor than the billionaire disaster capitalist funders of the Leave campaign, who simply saw them as useful idiots that could be convinced to vote for their project on the basis of xenophobia and lies. Look at the Dominic Cummings quote on the Tories, poor people and the NHS - the mask slipped for a second there. Stand by for turbocharged Thatcherism in the event of no deal - and a repeat of the increase in inequality that happened then.
    I have always supported policies to help the less well off, like a more generous safety net, better public services, more social housing, higher minimum wages and higher taxes on the better off to pay for it. Much more effective than scapegoating immigrants and trashing the economy.
    Brexit will probably make me better off financially. So don't pretend that Remainers are all motivated by some kind of middle class self interest. I am anti Brexit because (a) I think it is a project designed to screw the poor and (b) I don't think liars should prosper.
    I sincerely doubt Leave are the only people who have billionaires backing them, Remain based on the corporate vote have more than their fair share. As for the policies you support that;s fine, but the people you are supporting arent implementing them. Its just as easy to say you have been duped and lied to by well off corporatists.
    The people I have supported lost the last 3 elections, they were certainly promising to do most of those things.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

I can remember when MacMillan died in 1986. So back then we still presumably had him, Wilson, Heath, Sunny Jim and Douglas-Home as living pre-Thatcher former PMs.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Pulpstar said:

The amount of people that only consider the big two when they're deciding their vote is amusing.

But not very funny in the long run.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

I have no problem with those who voted leave who have been left out of the econony and society over the last 20 years and unlike others I dont think they will be the worst hit by Brexit. An orderly Brexit need not even be a disaster but no deal will be.

I do have a problem with those who have benefitted enormously through their life with free university education, opportunities to work and live abroad, generous final salary pensions, govt led asset boom boosted further by QE and govt subsidies, then wanting to take all of those opportunities, to study, to build up assets, to have a secure retirement, to be able to work and live abroad away from the next generations because of how they feel.

Ebbw Vale is the main town in Blaenau Gwent, the most Leaver-y constituency in the country.

It is hard to find somewhere there with GCSEs, let alone BAs and MAs from a "free university education."

It is hard to find someone who enjoyed "working and living abroad" (like so many of the Remainers). Many in Ebbw Vale will have never been abroad at all.

It is hard to find someone with any assets. They are the people that prominent Remainers on this board (Gardenwalker) sneeringly refer to as living in "Valleys dunghills".

The problems in our country have been building for many, many years.

The Referendum simply and finally and irrevocably brought the problems to the attention of the middle class in the South East, who have largely been immune from such matters.

The middle class in the South East largely voted Leave, didn't it?

Out of interest, what percentage of the 16 million plus Remain voters do you think have lived and worked abroad?

A Leaver relative of mine claimed, the other day, that the Brexit vote was “a vote against London” and I think she was on to something.

For decades non-Londoners have had to sit there and grin as Londoners got obscenely wealthy simply by owning London property. Brexit was, in part, a howl of outrage at the unfairness.
  • Options

Byronic said:

I work in finance so the pot I am paid out of is essentially in USD. A weaker GBP as a result of Brexit means I will probably get paid more in GBP terms, and in real terms since a lot of my consumption basket is domestic services. Of course it is possible that Brexit is such a clusterfuck that I lose my job. I suspect that is more likely if Corbyn gets in, but I will still vote Labour because I think they will do more to help the less well off and I can probably look after myself.
    It's not that hard to see why Brexit was funded by many people in this sector, they are all short GBP by the nature of having USD revenues and GBP costs (plus they want more freedom to do whatever they want and think that is more likely outside of the EU). Bamford is similar, as I believe they sell mostly outside the EU and so the loss of market access issue is not such a problem for them, unlike the auto sector.
    I take it you live in London\South East ?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

kinabalu said:

then maybe you should have spent more time listening to the other demographics and you would have avoided the problem.

They are even planning to bring down the court system to stop paying a tv license they can perfectly well afford. How would that help law and order which they claim to care about?

Older people voted for Brexit for a wide range of reasons, but common to many is that the economic case was secondary to the emotional and political case.

youre simply suffering the penalties for the mistakes made 10-15 years ago and which the people you vote for implemented. the Breo party has graped the nettle.

-
    The people in charge of society 10-15 years ago are the same people I am complaining about!! It was not up to me, my cohort or those younger than me who tended to vote remain, because jobs and the economy are important to our future.

Age, for sure. As for wisdom, we'll see. The first three years of our Brexit journey have not exactly been triumphant.

• Options

Byronic said:

Yes. To the poor, the retired, and the wealthy social conservatives, we must add the ideological libertarians, the disaster capitalists, and the pound speculators.

These last three are too small to represent clear demographic groupings, and certainly too small to be polled, but they appear to be largely driving Brexit now.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Yes. To the poor, the retired, and the wealthy social conservatives, we must add the ideological libertarians, the disaster capitalists, and the pound speculators.

These last three are too small to represent clear demographic groupings, and certainly too small to be polled, but they appear to be largely driving Brexit now.
    you forgot about the Jews
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744

kinabalu said:

There are very few "far richer than us", owning "acres of land". Not enough to account for 52 per cent of the Referendum vote.

To win the referendum, Leave had to get the votes of the poor.

Middle class remainers lost because they forgot how many poor people there are.
    I have no problem with those who voted leave who have been left out of the econony and society over the last 20 years and unlike others I dont think they will be the worst hit by Brexit. An orderly Brexit need not even be a disaster but no deal will be.

I do have a problem with those who have benefitted enormously through their life with free university education, opportunities to work and live abroad, generous final salary pensions, govt led asset boom boosted further by QE and govt subsidies, then wanting to take all of those opportunities, to study, to build up assets, to have a secure retirement, to be able to work and live abroad away from the next generations because of how they feel.
    Then you need to vote for people who would change that.

can you point out who they are, Id like to vote for them too ?
    My username should give a clue
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

The interesting point is what sort of Brexit in that case would she have been in favour of executing? I suspect given her involvement in creating the Single Market she might have wanted to have stayed a member of that. One can only speculate of course but I think she would have wanted out of the political structures. I wonder if she would have gone for the Customs Union as well? Sadly she was not in command of her faculties in the closing part of her life. I always remember her taking the oath in the H of L in her last few years and she did not seem well at all...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Byronic said:

Ebbw Vale is the main town in Blaenau Gwent, the most Leaver-y constituency in the country.

It is hard to find somewhere there with GCSEs, let alone BAs and MAs from a "free university education."

It is hard to find someone who enjoyed "working and living abroad" (like so many of the Remainers). Many in Ebbw Vale will have never been abroad at all.

It is hard to find someone with any assets. They are the people that prominent Remainers on this board (Gardenwalker) sneeringly refer to as living in "Valleys dunghills".

The Referendum simply and finally and irrevocably brought the problems to the attention of the middle class in the South East, who have largely been immune from such matters.

Out of interest, what percentage of the 16 million plus Remain voters do you think have lived and worked abroad?

A Leaver relative of mine claimed, the other day, that the Brexit vote was “a vote against London” and I think she was on to something.

For decades non-Londoners have had to sit there and grin as Londoners got obscenely wealthy simply by owning London property. Brexit was, in part, a howl of outrage at the unfairness.
    What proportion of Londoners are born and bred in London?

Many of us, like Norman Tebbit’s father, “got on our bikes”.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Byronic said:

Londoners like Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn have got extremely wealthy on the back of property. That does not apply to most Londoners, though. The London reality is very different to the London perception. But I do agree that the perception is widely held.

• Options

Byronic said:

Very interesting. Thanks. I don’t believe leavers are quite as selfishly scheming as all that, but it’s an intriguing perspective
  • Options

Byronic said:

I take it you live in London\South East ?
    You should be able to tell exactly where I live from my name on here, unless you are unaware of the work of CarterUSM!
    I am not from London and the South East though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

No she wasn't, she backed the common market but post Bruges Group speech became increasingly anti EC and anti EU, hence why she backed IDS over Ken Clarke in 2001 when Major and Heath backed Clarke
  • Options

Byronic said:

I resent the implication.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

Mrs Thatcher would probably have favoured something like the Cameron deal (if you can call it that): in the EU for the single market but with various opt-outs from the rest.

Mrs Thatcher grew up politically in the 1960s when Britain was not prospering outside the EEC, far from it, and was desperate to join. Mrs Thatcher might not have been keen on the social chapter but she helped create the single market.

Mrs Thatcher was not a Brexiteer.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Very interesting. Thanks. I don’t believe leavers are quite as selfishly scheming as all that, but it’s an intriguing perspective
    Ha ha how charmingly naive.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Not entirely as we are still leaving the single market and ending free movement
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If by middle classesand stressful.

-
    The people in charge of society 10-15 ye important to our future.

Age, for sure. As for wisdom, we'll see. The first three years of our Brexit journey have not exactly been triumphant.

it has simply highlighted how utterly useless our political class is at present. It strikes me that if the same people are so bad at managing Europe now, then just how bad were their decisions over the last 40 years ?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744

I said I have no problem with the left behind who voted for brexit. In other parts of the country there are millions of the lifestyle I have described that did vote for brexit.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

Early 1980s, Macmilan, Home, Wilson, Heath, Callaghan
    Also 1923-24: Bonar Law, Lloyd George, Asquith, Balfour, Rosebery

Granted that's not especially 'recent times.'

In 1964-65 Churchill, Attlee, Eden, Macmillan and Home were all still alive.

So it's not that uncommon.

A rarer event is only one former PM left alive. March-July 1945 (Baldwin only) 1896-1902 and again from 1902-1905 (Rosebery only) 1881-1885 (no Prime Minister living other than Gladstone) 1878-80 (Gladstone only) but after that I really begin to struggle.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

I can remember when MacMillan died in 1986. So back then we still presumably had him, Wilson, Heath, Sunny Jim and Douglas-Home as living pre-Thatcher former PMs.
    And before Eden died in 1977 there were also 5 -Eden, MacMillan, Home, Wilson & Heath.

Though we did not have 5 in good health in either 1977 or 1986 - Eden was not well, arguably, even when he was PM, and Wilson was suffering from dementia by 1986 even though he lived until 1995.
  • Options

Byronic said:

and will get on your bikes again to get out of the dump and live somewhere else in a real sized house.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Byronic said:

I resent the implication.
    would it have been better if I said the Welsh ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

Mrs Thatcher would probably have favoured something like the Cameron deal (if you can call it that): in the EU for the single market but with various opt-outs from the rest.

Mrs Thatcher grew up politically in the 1960s when Britain was not prospering out side the EEC, far from it, and was desperate to join. Mrs Thatcher might not have been keen on the social chapter but she helped create the single market.

Mrs Thatcher was not a Brexiteer.
    She was as she was anti EU and opposed the Maaastricht Treaty, she backed the single market before it included free movement from Eastern Europe and so many ECJ regulations, she would have been happy with the Canada style FTA Boris wants with the EU
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

No she wasn't, she backed the common market but post Bruges Group speech became increasingly anti EC and anti EU, hence why she backed IDS over Ken Clarke in 2001 when Major and Heath backed Clarke
    So she would have been a Brexiteers once senility had begun to set in. Thanks for making that clear. Interesting that you personally didn’t find the arguments quite so compelling though.

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Byronic said:

and will get on your bikes again to get out of the dump and live somewhere else in a real sized house.
    Yes. Increasingly my peer set are looking for options to take their talents (and tax) away from the U.K.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

That might be the case if I didn’t personally KNOW a fair selection of Leave donors and politicians.

They might be horribly misguided, there might be secondary hopes for personal gain, but they all genuinely believe a self governing Britain will ultimately do better outside the EU
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

kinabalu said:

How exactly? Pensioners have never been richer, yet they want to trash the economy? They have a triple lock, own a bigger a share of assets than ever before, own huge stocks of residential housing which those working and under 50 have to rent from them as well as pay their taxes. What else should we have done to improve the lives of pensioners further? If we try to fund care properly, as govts have flirted with, pensioners go up in arms over them paying anything and nothing happens.

-
    More to the point, why don't older people think jobs and the economy aren't important?
  • Options
    Project fear fails again. The pound was only the second weakest currency last year.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1155877627418370049
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

May 1995 prior to Harold Wilson's death when we had
    Harold Wilson
    Alec Douglas-Home
    James Callaghan
    Edward Heath
    Margaret Thatcher.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Yes. Increasingly my peer set are looking for options to take their talents (and tax) away from the U.K.
    thats the thing with hot money, it never stays put
  • Options

kinabalu said:

How exactly? Pensioners have never been richer, yet they want to trash the economy? They have a triple lock, own a bigger a share of assets than ever before, own huge stocks of residential housing which those working and under 50 have to rent from them as well as pay their taxes. What else should we have done to improve the lives of pensioners further? If we try to fund care properly, as govts have flirted with, pensioners go up in arms over them paying anything and nothing happens.

-
    The people in charge of society 10- to our future.
    More to the point, why don't older people think jobs and the economy aren't important?
    Ive yet to meet an oldie in that category
  • Options
    Byronic said:

But that wealth has been gained mainly by older people living in London at the expense of younger people who live or want to live in London. If you have no intention of ever living in London, which presumably the London haterz don't, then it's kind of dumb of them to resent it. In fact it is people like me - who live in an expensive London house that they actually had to pay for - who should be most pissed off!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

-
    Random observation. I don't know anyone who supports leave who actually has a job.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

kinabalu said:

To mepower.

-
    They’ll have some serious thinking to do in around 3 months then
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2019

@Byronic is not being naive at all. In fact, quite the opposite.

Perhaps you don't know many Leavers. I do - a lot. Many of the people I know are Conservative-voting, relatively wealthy or at least comfortable, approaching retirement or retired, living in a lovely part of the South-East in mostly nice, detached houses. A lot of them voted Leave, for various reasons. Not a single one is selfish, scheming, or doesn't care about the economy or jobs for young people - in fact, they are extremely concerned about the latter. What's more, although I can think of a couple of exceptions, almost none of them are xenophobic, little-Englanders or racists or bigoted in any way.

You have fallen into the classic error of the left of ascribing bad motivation to people whose political views you disagree with.

If I were to generalise, what I would say is that the economic dangers of Brexit, and now no-deal Brexit, are not very obvious to some of those amongst this group. That is because they have had little direct contact with how the economy operates in the twenty-first century.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

How exactly? Pensioners have never beeional and political case.

-
    Random observation. I don't know anyone who supports leave who actually has a job.
    I know lots of remainers who dont have one either
  • Options
    stodge said:

John Major
    Tony Blair
    Gordon Brown
    David Cameron
    Theresa May

Life is good when the taxpayer has made you very, very wealthy.
  • Options
    alex. said:

kinabalu said:

To mepower.
    If by middle classes you mean anyone working frisky and stressful.
    How exactly? Pensioners have never been anything and nothing happens.

-
    They’ll have some serious thinking to do in around 3 months then
    bit late theyll have done that 3 years ago,
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Byronic said:

But that wealth has been gained mainly by older people living in London at the expense of younger people who live or want to live in London. If you have no intention of ever living in London, which presumably the London haterz don't, then it's kind of dumb of them to resent it. In fact it is people like me - who live in an expensive London house that they actually had to pay for - who should be most pissed off!
    Except that middle aged Londoners are cashing in and moving out and settling all over the country.
  • Options

@Byronic is not being naive at all. In fact, quite the opposite.

Perhaps you don't know many Leavers. I do - a lot. Many of the people I know are Conservative-voting, relatively wealthy or at least comfortable, approaching retirement or retired, living in a lovely part of the South-East in mostly nice, detached houses. A lot of them voted Leave, for various reasons. Not a single one is selfish, scheming, or doesn't care about the economy or jobs for young people - in fact, they are extremely concerned about the latter. What's more, although I can think of a couple of exceptions, almost none of them are xenophobic, little-Englanders or racists or bigoted in any way.

You have fallen into the classic error of the left of ascribing bad motivation to people whose political views you disagree with.

If I were to generalise, what I would say is that the economic dangers of Brexit, and now no-deal Brexit, are not very obvious to some of those amongst this group. That is because they have had little direct contact with how the economy operates in the twenty-first century.
    You are right, I know almost nobody who voted Leave. Even my working class made good Tory granny voted Remain just before she died, a result of having lived in Spain for many years I imagine, plus perhaps the memory of the War. I don't know any of the demographic you describe.
    I was speaking specifically about some of the very wealthy people who bankrolled the Leave campaign, where I think there is a strong element of self interest at work. Sometimes indirectly, eg their dislike of the EU often stems from times it prevented them making more money.
    I think the habit of ascribing bad motivations to people you disagree with is fairly universal to be honest.
    I do struggle to see how anyone can imagine leaving the EU will help any young person get a job, except via reduced immigration. And opposition to immigration is frequently motivated by xenophobia. But you know your milieu better than I do, and so I will accept your account of their motivations, if you can accept that not all London based Remainers just want a cheap nanny.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

Except that middle aged Londoners are cashing in and moving out and settling all over the country.
    Thus spreading the wealth by increasing other people's house prices.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

Project fear fails again. The pound was only the second weakest currency last year.

1. That was based on one day, not one year.
    2. 1.34% is quite a lot for a one day currency move, but it's far from a crash
    3. Someone doesn't know how to use a Bloomberg terminal: Palladium, as far as I know, is not a currency
  • Options

Byronic said:

I don't think that's the case. Unless I'm mistaken, and admittedly I haven't enquired upon it, the probability of being a Leaver does not increase with being Jewish, and arguably decreases.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

1. That was based on one day, not one year.
    2. 1.34% is quite a lot for a one day currency move, but it's far from a crash
    3. Someone doesn't know how to use a Bloomberg terminal: Palladium, as far as I know, is not a currency
    You might like to look at the discussion philip-thompson and I had last night. Insofar as we came to a conclusion, the pound has fallen, in both the recent and distant past, but the implications of such are open to debate.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

From BBC Business

Eurozone economic growth halves and inflation slows

Eurozone grows by 0.2% in second quarter

Fed expected to cut rates for first time in a decade

Pound rebounds from 28-month low

Honestly Big_G, I think calling a 0.1% rise a 'rebound' is pushing it a bit.
    I don't normally bet on currency markets but I'm prepared to bet a tenner with BIG G that the pound will be lower than its current value one month from now. My point being, that claiming a 0.1% rise at 9.55am, which has already evaporated, really pays no attention to the short and medium sterling trend. Which we all should know ... is south.
    Can we get this right.

I did not do anything than post a 'BBC business' headline.

Additionally I do not bet and I have no idea where the currency will be in three months time anymore than anyone else

It depends on far too many variables
    Can you post the link to where the BBC mentioned 'rebound.'?

And can we get this right. This is a betting site. Variables are our metier.
    BBC on line
    Where? Can you post the link please. I follow the BBC carefully and haven't seen any such comment this morning about the pound rebounding.

I notice that Malcolmg has risen up in your support (presumably still not forgiving me for calling him out over his SNP-driven hatred of all things Jo Swinson) but if you're going to post something as fact, and then castigate others on here for questioning your position and stating 'don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger' you need to be sure of your facts.

So can we take it that, in fact, the BBC did not report that the pound has "rebounded?" I'd genuinely like you to correct me. So please do.

LOL , savaged by a dead lamb
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited July 2019
    Ladbrokes are offering 6/1 on the turnout being 60%+ which I think is cracking value.
This discussion has been closed.