Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s first net approval ratings are 33 points lower than

124»

Comments

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317

Foxy said:

Mauve said:

At a time when I suspect polls tell us nothing, this one tells us loads: they're fucking useless.

It tells you how many people haven't been watching the news recently. With 36% don't knows that's a lot of votes available for anyone who has a clear, simple message. Of course, "no view" in this context might translate in to "sack the lot of them"
    I reckon many, many people never watch the news, ever. How many don't knows would you get on a poll about Love Island?
    *raise hand*

I couldn't name a single Love Island contestant. Never watched it.
    Mrs Foxy is a fan, but she chucks me out when it starts. The sarcasm gets too much. See you 2100 tommorow...
    Tommy and Molly Mae massive favourites but Amber and Gregg could have a chance. India and Ovie the outsiders.
    Molly-Mae 50k
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    kle4 said:

I'm not opposed to outgoing PMs giving out a few gongs to supporters, I don't think it that unreasonable that the outgoing head of government in some small way can reward their staunchest supporters in such a way as it is only a title at the end of the day.

A peerage is a different kettle of fish, even if latitude is granted with honours given while the PM resigns, raising someone to the legislature is pretty substantial.

House of Unelected Has-Beens!
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067

Foxy said:

Mauve said:

At a time when I suspect polls tell us nothing, this one tells us loads: they're fucking useless.

It tells you how many people haven't been watching the news recently. With 36% don't knows that's a lot of votes available for anyone who has a clear, simple message. Of course, "no view" in this context might translate in to "sack the lot of them"
    I reckon many, many people never watch the news, ever. How many don't knows would you get on a poll about Love Island?
    *raise hand*

I couldn't name a single Love Island contestant. Never watched it.
    Mrs Foxy is a fan, but she chucks me out when it starts. The sarcasm gets too much. See you 2100 tommorow...
    Tommy and Molly Mae massive favourites but Amber and Gregg could have a chance. India and Ovie the outsiders.
    They were but have drifted a lot tho still odds on. I think ovie is value.
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    edited July 2019
    Good paper choice, reaching out beyond his comfort clique for a change... Oh.
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Tomorrow’s headline really ought to be A Whole Lot of Spaffing Going On.
    And Brexiters were criticising Cameron ?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    The biggest threat to the union is Bozos lunatic no deal .

He needs to STFU and stop peddling this care for the Union guff . If he cared about the UK he’d not have been the architect of Brexit .

According to Opinium today 34% of Scots back No Deal Brexit and 11% back delaying Brexit to get a Deal through the Commons but only 39% want to cancel Brexit altogether

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-24th-july-2019/

(I also see Opinium is now polling diehard Remainers and diehard Leavers)
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Looks like we’re going to end up with a policy announcement a day through August as Bozo is desperate to keep his face on the front pages .

I’m still waiting for him to cure cancer and make plans to fire off an orbiting mission to Mars .

The desperate to dupe the plebs magic money tree is turning into a forest, at this rate we’ll be re oxygenating the planet at a rate to combat climate change.

Bozo realizes that just wanking off about no deal for the next few months might begin to grate with the public so in a desperate attempt to hoodwink the public he’s decided to just keep spending .

Whatever you want Bozo has the cash to spare . Bizarrely the public who all seemed to like fiscal probity and who were deficit experts in 2015 and who fell for the “ We can’t leave the debt for the grandkids “ worn out mantra , now have thrown that off after of course voting their grandkids hopes and dreams down the toilet in 2016 !

The Tories previous concerns about debt and the deficit have been ditched , similar to what Trump has done in the USA.

Of course one can conclude that the Tories vomit inducing hypocrisy on this subject will last as long as the need to bribe the public into no deal enthusiasts.

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    edited July 2019
    nico67 said:

Looks like we’re going to end up with a policy announcement a day through August as Bozo is desperate to keep his face on the front pages .

I’m still waiting for him to cure cancer and make plans to fire off an orbiting mission to Mars .

The desperate to dupe the plebs magic money tree is turning into a forest, at this rate we’ll be re oxygenating the planet at a rate to combat climate change.

Bozo realizes that just wanking off about no deal for the next few months might begin to grate with the public so in a desperate attempt to hoodwink the public he’s decided to just keep spending .

Whatever you want Bozo has the cash to spare . Bizarrely the public who all seemed to like fiscal probity and who were deficit experts in 2015 and who fell for the “ We can’t leave the debt for the grandkids “ worn out mantra , now have thrown that off after of course voting their grandkids hopes and dreams down the toilet in 2016 !

The Tories previous concerns about debt and the deficit have been ditched , similar to what Trump has done in the USA.

Of course one can conclude that the Tories vomit inducing hypocrisy on this subject will last as long as the need to bribe the public into no deal enthusiasts.

I think you have broken the embargo on the news of the Mars mission. That was scheduled for Wednesday.
    I'm liking the sound of the Boris Mars mission. How many of the new Cabinet can the capsule hold?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687

Scott_P said:
    By, those money taps are turned on.
    Surely you can bribe some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time, but if you try to bribe all of the people all of the time they'll realise you're doing with their own money ...
  • StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

nico67 said:

I think you have broken the embargo on the news of the Mars mission. That was scheduled for Wednesday.
    There’ll be no Mars Bars after Brexit. We learned that last week.

I'm liking the sound of the Boris Mars mission. How many of the new Cabinet can the capsule hold?

If we just send their brains, about 10,000.

Streeter said:

nico67 said:

There’ll be no Mars Bars after Brexit. We learned that last week.
    Fake news surely? Boris assured us that there would be Mars bars no matter what.

And drinking water.

Vital medication is another matter.
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    By, those money taps are turned on.
    Surely you can bribe some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time, but if you try to bribe all of the people all of the time they'll realise you're doing with their own money ...
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out in GE.

I may be mistaken, but my memory is that during my entire adult life the battle over whose tax/spending plans were more dangerous was the centre of an election campaign.

This time it seems it will be who can spend the mythical gold egg from Brexit fast enough...
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,116
    Mauve said:

DavidL said:

On-thread: Pretty impressive poll for Swinson, as she’s hardly been in the media and even her election was crowded out by the Boris effect.

Appalling for Corbyn. Simply appalling.
    Is this the lowest Preferred PM % for a LotO ever?

Personally I find it shocking that 15% of the population think he is the best qualified to be PM, even amongst that rather rum bunch. What are these people thinking?
    Approximately 20% want to nationalise everything.

There's a poll that shows that?
    I've seen a poll here with over 20% support for the nationalisation of supermarkets, travel agents and car factories.

I can't find it at the moment but this relates to the issue:

Nationalisation fever also appears to be infectious. Royal Bank of Scotland, you might assume, is not a powerful advert for the delights of state ownership but the country is apparently evenly split on whether all banks should be nationalised. There was even 27% support for nationalising airlines, as if the budget airline revolution never happened.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/01/jeremy-corbyn-nationalisation-plans-voters-tired-free-markets
    Further information:

According to a recent poll published by The Times (in association with the Legatum Institute, conducted by Populus), 23% of Brits support the nationalisation of Travel Agents

23% travel agents
    24% car manufacturing
    27% airlines
    33% mobile phone network
    35% food

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2017/10/23-brits-want-nationalise-travel-agents/
    I know it's an old poll, but I doubt the numbers have changed much since it was published. What amazes me is that a third of people want nationalised mobile phone networks. What would that achieve? Other than higher bills and worse service for everyone. I have to tolerate a pseudo-public telecoms monopoly on my internet connection via BT Openreach and it's awful. Any fault takes forever to fix and needs three weeks notice before they send anyone out.
    If anyone's in the one-third of people who want a National Food Service, could they get straight on Amazon and buy a history of Soviet collectivisation? Robert Conquest's The Harvest of Sorrow is a good start for anyone who ought to be disabused of this madness. Short version; about seven million people starve to death.
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:
    Corbyn supporters: suddenly we care what LibDems are doing because our f**ked up leader and his side kick Seamus have screwed up the Remain vote from millions. We thought we would be fighting class war, now it seems we are fighting a cultural war.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:
    But Swinson was a member of the Coalition - and favoured errecting statues of Thatcher.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    HYUFD said:
    Well we've had £350m for the NHS, German car makers, global free trade deals, why not which country will Leave next?
    The Greatest Hits please the crowd when the difficult second album doesn't go down so well.
    Drutt said:

Mauve said:

DavidL said:

On-thread: Pretty impressive poll for Swinson, as she’s hardly been in the media and even her election was crowded out by the Boris effect.

Appalling for Corbyn. Simply appalling.
    Is this the lowest Preferred PM % for a LotO ever?

Personally I find it shocking that 15% of the population think he is the best qualified to be PM, even amongst that rather rum bunch. What are these people thinking?
    Approximately 20% want to nationalise everything.

There's a poll that shows that?
    I've seen a poll here with over 20% support for the nationalisation of supermarkets, travel agents and car factories.

I can't find it at the moment but this relates to the issue:

Nationalisation fever also appears to be infectious. Royal Bank of Scotland, you might assume, is not a powerful advert for the delights of state ownership but the country is apparently evenly split on whether all banks should be nationalised. There was even 27% support for nationalising airlines, as if the budget airline revolution never happened.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/01/jeremy-corbyn-nationalisation-plans-voters-tired-free-markets
    Further information:

According to a recent poll published by The Times (in association with the Legatum Institute, conducted by Populus), 23% of Brits support the nationalisation of Travel Agents

23% travel agents
    24% car manufacturing
    27% airlines
    33% mobile phone network
    35% food

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2017/10/23-brits-want-nationalise-travel-agents/
    I know it's an old poll, but I doubt the numbers have changed much since it was published. What amazes me is that a third of people want nationalised mobile phone networks. What would that achieve? Other than higher bills and worse service for everyone. I have to tolerate a pseudo-public telecoms monopoly on my internet connection via BT Openreach and it's awful. Any fault takes forever to fix and needs three weeks notice before they send anyone out.
    If anyone's in the one-third of people who want a National Food Service, could they get straight on Amazon and buy a history of Soviet collectivisation? Robert Conquest's The Harvest of Sorrow is a good start for anyone who ought to be disabused of this madness. Short version; about seven million people starve to death.
    We didn't starve during the War, put some spine into folk, etc, etc, etc.
    HYUFD said:
    This lot deserve the biggest trial since Nuremberg.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,618
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Boris is what Jay of the Inbetweeners looks like as a middle aged man with a paunch.

https://youtu.be/wUDhuxyu3ao
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,038
    dixiedean said:

No. It took 5 days for Talk Talk to run a test, to show the problem was between the telegraph pole and the house. And therefore BTs responsibility. They were round in an hour and done in 2.

My experiences with BT Openreach have been uniformly atrocious including them lying repeatedly to both myself and my service provider about having visited my house to fix problems. I would love to see them go out of business.
    edited July 2019
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    Godwin.

dixiedean said:

No. It took 5 days for Talk Talk to run a test, to show the problem was between the telegraph pole and the house. And therefore BTs responsibility. They were round in an hour and done in 2.

My experiences with BT Openreach have been uniformly atrocious including them lying repeatedly to both myself and my service provider about having visited my house to fix problems. I would love to see them go out of business.
    McDonnell is working on that.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

He needs to STFU and stop peddling this care for the Union guff . If he cared about the UK he’d not have been the architect of Brexit .

According to Opinium today 34% of Scots back No Deal Brexit and 11% back delaying Brexit to get a Deal through the Commons but only 39% want to cancel Brexit altogether

You see what you want to see. I see what I want to see.

Opinium net approval, Scotland:
    Sturgeon +2
    Swinson -3
    Johnson -33
    Farage -42
    Corbyn -49

Opinium VI, Scotland:
    SNP 46%
    Con 23%
    Lab 14%
    LD 11%
    Bxp 5%
    Grn 2%

dixiedean said:

Fair enough. Merely my experience. Which was very good. Other experiences are equally valid. :)
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:
    Well we've had £350m for the NHS, German car makers, global free trade deals, why not which country will Leave next?
    The Greatest Hits please the crowd when the difficult second album doesn't go down so well.
    No country will leave next.

Brexit has at least shown the rest of europe what a f**king stupid idea leaving is.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    Not all Telegraph journalists deserve to go on trial. Peter Foster has been one of the best.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

Sturgeon +2
    Swinson -3
    Johnson -33
    Farage -42
    Corbyn -49

Opinium VI, Scotland:
    SNP 46%
    Con 23%
    Lab 14%
    LD 11%
    Bxp 5%
    Grn 2%
    Did you not suggest last night that there was a new Scotland poll which gives Labour 19% and the Tories 16%?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,460
    Mauve said:

I'm in favour of private competition where it produces genuine choice (who needs British Cereal, for example?), but rival utilities delivering the same thing under different labels are just a waste of space. The classic example is the phone number lookup service, for which a perfectly good BT service was replaced by umpteen dodgy outfits charging you ridiculous amounts per number and trying to get you to dial through them at a premium rate as well.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Wouldn’t referring to someone as “Priti Patel-Aviv” break at least some Twitter guidelines?

Pretty unpleasant undertone
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

Sturgeon +2
    Swinson -3
    Johnson -33
    Farage -42
    Corbyn -49

Opinium VI, Scotland:
    SNP 46%
    Con 23%
    Lab 14%
    LD 11%
    Bxp 5%
    Grn 2%
    Did you not suggest last night that there was a new Scotland poll which gives Labour 19% and the Tories 16%?
    Nope, that was just the Scottish sub-sample of one of yesterday’s four GB-wide polls. ComRes I think (it was the only one which seemed to have published detailed tables immediately, which I found surprising as YouGov are usually pretty good at that).

https://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Sunday-Express-ComRes-Poll-July-2019.pdf

Mauve said:

I'm in favour of private competition where it produces genuine choice (who needs British Cereal, for example?), but rival utilities delivering the same thing under different labels are just a waste of space. The classic example is the phone number lookup service, for which a perfectly good BT service was replaced by umpteen dodgy outfits charging you ridiculous amounts per number and trying to get you to dial through them at a premium rate as well.
    Telecoms is an interesting case in that respect. In the age of rotary dial telephone and poles at the end of each street, then there was a natural monopoly.

But no more. Even before you start to think about over-the-air delivery, you have the ability to dig up roads and lay fibre to the end of street. The last few yards is a monopoly but the rest of the network isn't.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    edited July 2019

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    Godwin.
    Andy Wigmore: "The propaganda machine of the Nazis, for instance, if you take away all the hideous horror and all that kind of stuff, it was very clever, the way they managed to do what they did. In its pure marketing sense you can see the logic of what they were saying, why they were saying it and how the were presenting things - the imagery. Looking at that, in hindsight now, having been at the sharp end of this campaign you see, crikey, this is not new."

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1154965991664881665
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

Sturgeon +2
    Swinson -3
    Johnson -33
    Farage -42
    Corbyn -49

Opinium VI, Scotland:
    SNP 46%
    Con 23%
    Lab 14%
    LD 11%
    Bxp 5%
    Grn 2%
    Even on that poll SNP still 4% below their 2015 score and the Tories 8% above their 2015 score in Scotland and just 5% below their 2017 score.

Unionist Tories + Lab + LDs + BXP = 53%.
    Nationalist SNP + Greens = 48%

(Assuming rounding up so does not =100% exactly)
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

Sturgeon +2
    Swinson -3
    Johnson -33
    Farage -42
    Corbyn -49

Opinium VI, Scotland:
    SNP 46%
    Con 23%
    Lab 14%
    LD 11%
    Bxp 5%
    Grn 2%
    Even on that poll SNP still 4% below their 2015 score and the Tories 8% above their 2015 score in Scotland and just 5% below their 2017 score.

Unionist Tories + Lab + LDs + BXP = 53%.
    Nationalist SNP + Greens = 48%

(Assuming rounding up so does not =100% exactly)
    Yes, of course you are right. How foolish of me. I really wish that my party was on 23% of the vote and that my party leader had a negative 33 point rating. That would be a much better position than to have a measly 46% VI after 12 years in government, and a leader with a positive approval rating (that is simply embarrassing).

It is a pleasure for us Jock scum to be crushed by you mighty Unionists. You are undoubtedly a better class of people. I’m away off to hum Land of Hope and Glory.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,972

Prepared apparently. And yet, terrified of Swinson:

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1155544456529158144

We are actually afraid: 1/10
    We are going to kid ourselves that Corbyn can win anything other than a manhole competition: 1/999

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,532
    Charles said:

Wouldn’t referring to someone as “Priti Patel-Aviv” break at least some Twitter guidelines?

Don't think so, what do you think the undertone is???
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "As police forces prepare for the government’s ambitious recruitment drive, they have identified a formidable new challenge: hiring millennials.

The Home Office has been told that rookies have been “wrapped in cotton wool”, are routinely shocked that police are expected to work nights and weekends and “do not like confrontation”.

Police officers and staff told the Front Line Review that such expectations “may be a generational phenomenon related to people who have recently reached adulthood — a ‘millennial thing’ — and not unique to policing”."

(£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/millennials-they-aren-t-much-cop-at-police-work-7nxvsqx3s
    AndyJS said:

"As police forces prepare for the government’s ambitious recruitment drive, they have identified a formidable new challenge: hiring millennials.

The Home Office has been told that rookies have been “wrapped in cotton wool”, are routinely shocked that police are expected to work nights and weekends and “do not like confrontation”.

Police officers and staff told the Front Line Review that such expectations “may be a generational phenomenon related to people who have recently reached adulthood — a ‘millennial thing’ — and not unique to policing”."

(£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/millennials-they-aren-t-much-cop-at-police-work-7nxvsqx3s

This type of thing is scaring the shit out of HR people the world over: these youngsters are just not interested is crap schedules, crap pay, crap holidays, crap parental leave, workplace bullying, thick management and all the other things that previous generations took for granted. Good on them. Only employers who can provide attractive work environments will succeed in recruitment.
    Brexit and babies: UK to run out of contraceptives during 2019?

7/1 (PP)
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,656
    Foxy said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Boris is what Jay of the Inbetweeners looks like as a middle aged man with a paunch.

https://youtu.be/wUDhuxyu3ao
    Neil = Gavin Williamson
    Will aka 'Briefcase Wanker' = Gove
    Simon = Hunt
  • Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    No. This type of overstatement devalues real evil and makes people look like idiots. Real horrors were caused by Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Mugabe, etc.

There are political outcomes we all dislike passionately based on our life experience and world view. That doesn't give us the right to put Johnson or Corbyn in that group.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

Mauve said:

I reckon many, many people never watch the news, ever. How many don't knows would you get on a poll about Love Island? These people probably vote tribally, or maybe used to.
    What is Love Island?
    Big Brother on a beach I believe.
    LOL. None the wiser. What is Big Brother?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited July 2019

Charles said:

Its antisemitic to make someone's name Tel Aviv.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,972
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Mauve said:

I reckon many, many people never watch the news, ever. How many don't knows would you get on a poll about Love Island? These people probably vote tribally, or maybe used to.
    What is Love Island?
    Big Brother on a beach I believe.
    LOL. None the wiser. What is Big Brother?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VgwxKW0J6I
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

An implication that she is a mouthpiece for the Israeli government. Implication that there is some global Jewish conspiracy...
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,184

AndyJS said:

(£)

This type of thing is scaring the shit out of HR people the world over: these youngsters are just not interested is crap schedules, crap pay, crap holidays, crap parental leave, workplace bullying, thick management and all the other things that previous generations took for granted. Good on them. Only employers who can provide attractive work environments will succeed in recruitment.
    We're in a globalised world - there's no shortage of people willing to accept traditional western work practices.

Meanwhile those millennials will be okay as long as they have both a useful skillset and a satisfactory work ethic.

For some that might be a problem.
  • PendduPenddu Posts: 265

nico67 said:

Those Martians....coming here...taking our jobs....
This discussion has been closed.