Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Plus ça change …..Boris’s first few days have followed TMay’s

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    Sean_F said:

Boris' first polls are awful compared to Theresa May's. He's possibly scraping 30%. Hers were 40%.

I think we need to take a step back and look at all this another way, bracketing for a moment that pesky sideshow called Brexit.

The Conservatives have held power for 9 years. If they do win the next General Election outright they will have been in power in one form or other for between 14 and 17 years depending on the timing of the election. That would be almost on a par with the Thatcher-Major years and longer than the Blairites. Is this really likely? No.

Either bet on the apparent improbability of a Labour victory or some other make-up for other parties. But NOT on a Conservative majority.

Apples and oranges.

The Tories had been polling in the 40s earlier in 2016 and were routinely polling 36-38 in the weeks prior to May's election. So getting a bounce back into the 40s was not a mammoth task.

I think the Tories under Boris are more likely to poll above 40% than under 30% at the general election, probably high 30s like Cameron's majority-winning 2015 election.
    I expect that the Conservatives' numbers will rise into the mid thirties in coming weeks.
    And hit the mid teens in the coming months?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

AndyJS said:
    The hunch is correct. The Brexit supporting media who instigated the ousting of May by giving coverage to the Brexit party in the run up to the European elections are trying to sell us their creation. I think they misjudge people as it is easy to spot the flaws in Boris Johnson. Some people like him at the moment despite his personal inability to execute the role as PM. However, overtime people who currently support him will turn on him and these flaws will be amplified and will metamorphose into objections.
    That analysis may be right as a response to polling you don't like - sometimes hunches are......
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    The hunch is correct. The Brexit supporting media who instigated the ousting of May by giving coverage to the Brexit party in the run up to the European elections are trying to sell us their creation. I think they misjudge people as it is easy to spot the flaws in Boris Johnson. Some people like him at the moment despite his personal inability to execute the role as PM. However, overtime people who currently support him will turn on him and these flaws will be amplified and will metamorphose into objections.
    Do you also know the lottery numbers for next week? :)
    kle4 said:

Excellent thread.....however, not necessarily everything is the same....

https://twitter.com/maps_election/status/1155227017295663106?s=21

Does rather show up those salivating at Johnsons feet for mere words and unexceptional polling.
    The circumstances are so different it's hardly a good comparison.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:
    Do you also know the lottery numbers for next week? :)
    No, experience over a life time and cynicism of the Tory media message.
  • Options
    I don't remember TMay hiring an extra 20k coppers so they could hassle our young blacks off the street.

But heh, maybe you liked that part.
  • Options
    Who's Vassal state would we be? The EU, Russia's or the USA's - you've not made that clear.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited July 2019
    Well, then, more remain doesn't seem to fit the tease:

"The results go well beyond ‘gosh’ territory, or even ‘blimey’: by some way the most dramatic poll I have ever analysed."

If this poll just shows the same trend as the last poll, then it isn't "gosh" territory or even "blimey" territory !

My guess is it is a historic low for Labour, and probably shows them in 3rd place as their Leave and Remain voters switch to TBP and the LDs/PC.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Pulpstar said:

Bad day for Mercedes !

That’s an understatement!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Don’t like what’s happening now ?

Furious at the way things are progressing ?

Simply state with confidence that it will all go tits up in 3 months time - no one can prove you wrong.

Carry on.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Simply state with confidence that it will all go tits up in 3 months time - no one can prove you wrong.

Carry on.

Halloween No-Deal Brexit Nailed On.

I only realised there was a market for it yesterday - I've dipped my toes in but if the signals from the EU continue I might go large.

I don't even think it will go tits-up anyway, a few more soup cans will be bought just in case but I reckon it'll be a breeze
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,467
    TGOHF said:

Carry on.

:lol: It's all they have.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    IanB2 said:

Fourth like Labour

Credit to Cycle for a shorter piece with bullets, if still right justified

I genuinely don't understand what you mean by "right justified" nor what the problem is. I type it like any normal document (from left to right) and put it into WordPress.

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Anecdata department - a fellow-councillor and I went out for a couple of hours on doorsteps this morning, mainly to work towards fulfilling a promise to stay in touch and ask about local issues if we won.

But we mostly also asked people how they'd vote in a GE. Labour was marginally up on the local elections, but by far the most frequent reply was "I honestly have no idea". Some may have been shy of telling us, but most seemed entirely frank. I doubt if anyone can rely on polls at the moment.

It’s funny how we all get excited, or worried, about polls. I do too, despite knowing full well that polls this far out from Polling Day bear only a passing resemblance to the actual results.

Why do we all do it? I think it’s because polls give a semblance of science to a sphere that is really more of an art. We don’t trust our own powers of criticism, so we farm off judgement to some pseudo scientists.
  • Options

"The results go well beyond ‘gosh’ territory, or even ‘blimey’: by some way the most dramatic poll I have ever analysed."

If this poll just shows the same trend as the last poll, then it isn't "gosh" territory or even "blimey" territory !

My guess is it is a historic low for Labour, and probably shows them in 3rd place as their Leave and Remain voters switch to TBP and the LDs/PC.
    The Official Monster Raving Loony Party on about 20%.

And Lord Sutch's mob above them in third?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215

Mrs May's initial footsteps were the correct ones to make, the problem is what happened afterwards. She reneged on her pledges, she was thoroughly dishonest, nobody believed a word she said, she called an unnecessary election then choked during it.

If Boris sticks with the path he is setting out for himself he can be a great success. If he chokes, retreats and it was all a facade he will fail.

Mrs May's first footsteps were hubristic. So are Boris's. Nemesis will surely follow.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170
    TGOHF said:

Carry on.

Lord Digby seems to be following your mantra.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Mrs May's initial footsteps were the correct ones to make, the problem is what happened afterwards. She reneged on her pledges, she was thoroughly dishonest, nobody believed a word she said, she called an unnecessary election then choked during it.

If Boris sticks with the path he is setting out for himself he can be a great success. If he chokes, retreats and it was all a facade he will fail.

Mrs May's first footsteps were hubristic. So are Boris's. Nemesis will surely follow.
    With BJ we're slightly ahead as nobody believes a word he says anyway.
  • Options
    The only filthy commie song I know is this one, when I'm world king it's between this and land of hope and glory as the Official anthem-

https://youtu.be/t8EMx7Y16Vo
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,013

'The visits to adoring fans'

I believe Boris is still intending a visit to Glasgow tomorrow avec cabinet.

https://twitter.com/AngryScotland/status/889400054326452224

I've never understood these cabinet away days.

Do they actually learn anything new by having a meeting in a government office in Glasgow instead of a government office in London ?

And is anyone in the 'real world' impressed by it ?
    Usually empty symbolism, BJ and his buds going to Glasgow the absolutely worst sort. I hope someone gets the rickshaw & loudhailer out, though I'm sure it'll be in some secret location with select fawners.
    For sure there will be no public involved
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

This is coming as no surprise. Only Brexiteers and Corbyn believes in the Leave shit. The ground has shifted.
    I think a UK poll would have similar figures. That's why Brexiteers want to finish off the job quickly. The lies have come back home.
    Pro-Leave parties slightly outpolled pro-Remain parties in May, but I'd accept there is not a lot in it.
  • Options
    Best prices - A second vote of no confidence in the government during 2019?

Yes 1/4
    No 7/2
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

As a millennial I feel more bitter towards Gen X than Boomers. Some of the latter, like my parents, experienced rationing as children. Gen X have had a decade of ultra low interest rates to prop up house prices. But no generation is to blame really, it’s the stupid politicians who are at fault.

And who rewards those politicians? We do.

There's no point blaming people for being alive from 1950 to 2000, when economic growth was a good deal higher than today.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Digby Jones peddling yet more lies .

Ireland does not do 90% of trade with the UK. And then to add to that all this war bullshit.

Leavers not content with Brexit are intent on trashing relations with the EU. And those wallowing in the war analogies have no experience of actually living through the war but have some deluded romanticized view.

The real heroes spoke during the D Day commemorations and they’re not Brexiters .

• Options

Who's Vassal state would we be? The EU, Russia's or the USA's - you've not made that clear.

Tip briskin , try to point to previous post you are replying to so we do not think you are just howling at the moon
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,327

Anecdata department - a fellow-councillor and I went out for a couple of hours on doorsteps this morning, mainly to work towards fulfilling a promise to stay in touch and ask about local issues if we won.

But we mostly also asked people how they'd vote in a GE. Labour was marginally up on the local elections, but by far the most frequent reply was "I honestly have no idea". Some may have been shy of telling us, but most seemed entirely frank. I doubt if anyone can rely on polls at the moment.

It’s funny how we all get excited, or worried, about polls. I do too, despite knowing full well that polls this far out from Polling Day bear only a passing resemblance to the actual results.

Why do we all do it? I think it’s because polls give a semblance of science to a sphere that is really more of an art. We don’t trust our own powers of criticism, so we farm off judgement to some pseudo scientists.
    Good observation
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Tip briskin , try to point to previous post you are replying to so we do not think you are just howling at the moon
    Tip MalkyG, try to read the thread header before you start your rants
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Yes, I think you are right.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    nico67 said:

Digby Jones peddling yet more lies .

Ireland does not do 90% of trade with the UK. And then to add to that all this war bullshit.

Leavers not content with Brexit are intent on trashing relations with the EU. And those wallowing in the war analogies have no experience of actually living through the war but have some deluded romanticized view.

The real heroes spoke during the D Day commemorations and they’re not Brexiters .

90 % of containers exiting Ireland travel to or through the Uk.

An incredible position to put your country in over decades - so reliant on the virtually free infrastructure of a country your leader rails against daily.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,012

Forget the bus, we are now going to get government funded propaganda.

The new Prime Minister is planning to show Brussels he is serious about taking Britain out of the bloc without a deal by ramping up preparations.

The information push will see an everything-you-need-to-know leaflet sent to 27 million households and the broadcast of TV ads as part of a campaign which is expected to cost £10 million.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7294389/Every-home-Britain-leaflet-prepare-No-Deal-Brexit.html

Now? We've got government funded propaganda for as long as I can remember, including a puff piece for Remain pre-referendum.
    Dave enabled the referendum so was entitled to make his case. Boris is ramming through No Deal, which only cranks and eccentrics on the fringe have dabbled in.
    It takes two to tango. We can't have a deal if the EU won't negotiate a good deal and that means no backstop.

The choice is the EU's to make. If they drop the backstop demands there is no reason we can't have a deal. If they don't, then so be it we have no choice but to proceed without one.
    Have you read this thread?

https://twitter.com/DLidington/status/1155149491764436994
    There's near perfect correlation between not reading the Withdrawal Agreement, and hating it.

• Options

malcolmg said:

Although I think you can be somewhat forgiven, given it's a Cyclefree thread - but at least she tried to make it readable this time.
  • Options
    Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson goes to war with Boris Johnson: 'I won't support no-deal Brexit'

Ms Davidson, who has previously been highly critical of Mr Johnson, added: "As leader of the party in Scotland, my position exists independently of government. I don't have to sign a no-deal pledge to continue to serve."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ruth-davidson-boris-johnson-brexit-no-deal-war-cabinet-michael-gove-a9024191.html?amp
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    F1: Williams might end up with a point.

https://twitter.com/brxn_/status/1155508227481767937
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I'll take the bait. My guess is the poll ordering goes something like:

1. Plaid Cymru
    2. TBP
    3. Labour
    4. Tories
    5. LibDems.

This is the result from the Euros, but with the top two switched.

It gives Roger Awan-Scully his "gosh" factor as it is the first time PC have ever topped an All-Wales poll.
  • Options

Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson goes to war with Boris Johnson: 'I won't support no-deal Brexit'

Ms Davidson, who has previously been highly critical of Mr Johnson, added: "As leader of the party in Scotland, my position exists independently of government. I don't have to sign a no-deal pledge to continue to serve."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ruth-davidson-boris-johnson-brexit-no-deal-war-cabinet-michael-gove-a9024191.html?amp

It seems to me it's the cybernats that frott over Davidson
  • Options
    What a change in the weather. Just put the heating on
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,265
    rcs1000 said:

The new Prime Minister is planning to show Brussels he is serious about taking Britain out of the bloc without a deal by ramping up preparations.

The information push will see an everything-you-need-to-know leaflet sent to 27 million households and the broadcast of TV ads as part of a campaign which is expected to cost £10 million.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7294389/Every-home-Britain-leaflet-prepare-No-Deal-Brexit.html

Now? We've got government funded propaganda for as long as I can remember, including a puff piece for Remain pre-referendum.
    Dave enabled the referendum so was entitled to make his case. Boris is ramming through No Deal, which only cranks and eccentrics on the fringe have dabbled in.
    It takes two to tango. We can't have a deal if the EU won't negotiate a good deal and that means no backstop.

The choice is the EU's to make. If they drop the backstop demands there is no reason we can't have a deal. If they don't, then so be it we have no choice but to proceed without one.

There's near perfect correlation between not reading the Withdrawal Agreement, and hating it.

Not wanting to be a customs union with the EU, or an arrangement that is effectively a union, is economic folly of the highest order.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Not wanting to be a customs union with the EU, or an arrangement that is effectively a union, is economic folly of the highest order.
    And not wanting to be in a customs union in all but name which gives us the overwhelming majority of benefits with barely any of the costs is bizarre.

Getting out of the Commission, Parliament, ECJ and the rest of it while trading freely? Isn't that what Brexiteers claimed they wanted?
  • Options
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Although I think you can be somewhat forgiven, given it's a Cyclefree thread - but at least she tried to make it readable this time.
    You have a strange idea of a rant and WTF looking at the header means I have no clue. However a random answer somewhere in the thread that does not point to the post it refers to is for morons and pointless.
    Unless you are lucky you just have to pass over it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    At half past eleven?
  • Options

At half past eleven?
    Brunch then
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,152

AndyJS said:
    Brexit is the Monorail and Boris is Lyle Lanley. It’s about to crash and Homer is still looking for an anchor.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You have a strange idea of a rant and WTF looking at the header means I have no clue. However a random answer somewhere in the thread that does not point to the post it refers to is for morons and pointless.
    LOL - I do agree Cyclefree's thread's can be hard work.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You guys should stop carping.. and if you think you can do better, submit a thread to the site owner. I am sure your comments will not be in the least bit as illuminating at the thread itself.
  • Options
    "(*Yeah: I made that bit up. No filthy foreign Commie songs for global Britain. Still, the wartime meme will insist on breaking out and La Pasionaria’s cry that it is better to die on one’s feet than live on one’s knees should surely be appropriate for a country free at last and not a Vassal State, no sirree.)"

For Malky and possible other's benefit - I'm made two comments relating to this paragraph.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

1. Plaid Cymru
    2. TBP
    3. Labour
    4. Tories
    5. LibDems.

It gives Roger Awan-Scully his "gosh" factor as it is the first time PC have ever topped an All-Wales poll.
    So the OMRLP is second? :smile:
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You guys should stop carping.. and if you think you can do better, submit a thread to the site owner. I am sure your comments will not be in the least bit as illuminating at the thread itself.
    Yeah okay, I will,

What's the remit - I work better under constraints
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:
    Brexit is the Monorail and Boris is Lyle Lanley. It’s about to crash and Homer is still looking for an anchor.
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:
    As things stand at the moment it's very hard to see how Johnson's premiership can last beyond the end of October. If we don't leave he's stuffed and if we leave without a deal he is also stuffed. And those seem to be the only available options now.
  • Options
    +1 I have never thought much of him. When he was a Goat and able to decide things he only stuck at it for a year IIRC. What does he bring to the House of Lords I ask myself?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:
    As things stand at the moment it's very hard to see how Johnson's premiership can last beyond the end of October. If we don't leave he's stuffed and if we leave without a deal he is also stuffed. And those seem to be the only available options now.
    He gets a 'lipstick on a pig' deal through the Commons using Lab leavers (and those who don't want a GE now)?
  • Options
    The veneer is really coming off brand UK.

Half the country still think it’s 1945 .

And are lapping up the Bozo UK Tour , aided by a right wing press . Even Putin would be happy with the level of fawning afforded by the so called free press.

• Options

+1 I have never thought much of him. When he was a Goat and able to decide things he only stuck at it for a year IIRC. What does he bring to the House of Lords I ask myself?
    A hearty appetite?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:
    Britain will only move on when the Brexit supporting media dial down the Brexit issue. The Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph, The Sun and The Daily Express keep turning the knife in the British body politic. Maybe Johnson has to fail for them to move on, no disruption to the economy is worthwhile and even Johnson is going to have to choose between reality and fantasy as will his media outriders...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

You see, without all those extra pounds of padding on you, you've gone nesh!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:
    As long as he actually wins the election who cares! :D
  • Options

A hearty appetite?
    As good as Baron Eatwell ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Eatwell,_Baron_Eatwell

A positively Dickensian name for a member of the HoLs.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:

You are overlooking the fact that Boris will do anything to ensure he stays in office

Expect a massive fudge along the way
  • Options

It's like November out there Big G.

Hope you amd Mrs G are able to keep warm. :D
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

To what purpose. There is no point in reporting back on something daily unless one is talking about actual warfare.
    Identify problems, identify solutions, implement solutions.

If there are no problems to identify then we're ready to leave.
    If you're in a meeting, you're probably not actually any implementation.
    For one thing I doubt Gove is actually doing any implementation himself, there is a chain of command and other people will be doing the implementations.

For another I imagine that the meetings might be with different departments or on different subjects on different days. So today might hypothetically be a meeting to discuss preparedness of the NHS which identifies an issue regarding medicine ABC, tomorrow might be a meeting to discuss preparedness of DEFRA which identifies issue XYZ, so on and so forth, a week later you might get an update on the state of dealing with issues ABC and XYZ etc
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Can someone please help me? It has been reported today that the Gov't majority with DUP may shortly fall to zero if someone else is charged. Why? Because the Cons whip would be removed.

But surely this is a phantom fall? The two new independents would surely still be MPs and, presumably, still vote with the Conservatives?
  • Options

Can someone please help me? It has been reported today that the Gov't majority with DUP may shortly fall to zero if someone else is charged. Why? Because the Cons whip would be removed.

But surely this is a phantom fall? The two new independents would surely still be MPs and, presumably, still vote with the Conservatives?

Exactly . It’s just the press trying to be over dramatic .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The veneer is really coming off brand UK.

Half the country still think it’s 1945 .

And are lapping up the Bozo UK Tour , aided by a right wing press . Even Putin would be happy with the level of fawning afforded by the so called free press.

Opposition politicians can fight the "right wing press". If they do not do that just adopt a newspapers policy on X. The LD for instance can just jettison it as they are unlikely to ever win a majority and have to implement it. It is pretty simple and will be affective....
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

What do you mean by you guys you half witted cretin. I was chastising Brisket for being a moron. Along comes another one that cannot read
    and spouts bollocks. Get stuffed you thicko.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Thanks Gin.

We keep warm in our twilight years by enjoying being together and having our loved ones close by, and social media helps to keep our eldest and his wife close even though they are in Vancouver

We have so much to be grateful for and are very conscious of our good fortune
  • Options

ydoethur said:

1. Plaid Cymru
    2. TBP
    3. Labour
    4. Tories
    5. LibDems.

My go.

1. Tories
    2. PC
    3. Labour
    4. Lib Dems
    5. BXP

Though it wouldn't surprise me if Lib Dems were 2nd or 3rd.
  • Options

You see, without all those extra pounds of padding on you, you've gone nesh!
    Possibly but our temp is 30 degrees down from Friday - 87 v 57
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Yep, the Brexif Bus apparently arrived Friday and has been abandoned in a layby.

The Labour candidate has been seen out on his own, but otherwise no obvious campaign. The LDs reckon they have the backing of even Labour members.

Bozo may not be brave enough to visit, but he has written an awful lot of direct mail letters warning voters that if they don't vote Tory they will get a LibDem MP. The Tories are also out doing mass canvasses.

Since the campaign started there has apparently been a steady flow of Tory remainers to the LibDems and another from BXP to Tory. The ascent of Bozo may have accelerated the latter but otherwise there isnt yet any sign of a Bozo bounce. In particular he isn't doing anything for Tory remainers, and I spoke to a few of these today.

The Tories will have to adapt to their changing support base, which the country landowner types who run the Tories in these parts might find difficult.

I think a LibDem win but not overwhelming.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Sandpit said:

Does anyone still think that F1 is boring?

Yes
  • Options

Yes
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

... and even if the polls are pretty accurate, extrapolating to seats is much more dodgy when 4 parties are within a few percent of each other.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

What do you mean by you guys you half witted cretin. I was chastising Brisket for being a moron. Along comes another one that cannot read
    Hey Malc - it is the sabbath !!!!!!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Good evening Malc. :D
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019
    Okay here's my thread header that I scribbled on the full moon but didn't bother bothering Mike with-

The Biggest Side Show in History

Brexit is the biggest side show in history. A farce of a democracy and a large bureaucratic expense its benign malign influence was rarely felt by the average citizen; the EU was and is simply a capitalist supra-national body to facilitate trade.

Indyref1 and the upcoming 2 are quite a different matter.

England and Scotland have been joined since James I of England & VI of Scotland in 1603 before the Glorious Revolution and the now active Act of Union in 1707.

Although all my life people up here have thought of themselves as Scottish first and British second, an independent Scotland was seen as being deeply unpragmatic by the famously described "canny" populous.

This changed with Tony Blair's devolution settlement leading, after a decade of relative calmness, albeit with silly headline grabbing "Free Uni", SNP election wins (they promised more free stuff; err, canny, I guess). The "sophisticated Scottish electorate" (copywrite Curtice) have voted nationalist* for over a decade now.

*nice "civic nationalism" obviously, not nasty "BNP-style nationalism.

The UK, having recently voted for its own independence, is now to consider splitting itself in two.

First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon has made it clear she wants indyref2 to happen in 2020 (little more than 5 years after the first; sore loser syndrome existed before the term "remoaners" entered the lexicon.)

The battle for unity on this small island of the north atlantic is to begin again shortly.

Are you ready?

[There are currently no betting markets that relate to an independent Scotland but one would expect Sterling to be affected]
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Apolgies G, some of these idiots just make you lose the plot.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Evening Gin, Hope all well with your goodself.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    IanB2 said:

Yep, the Brexif Bus apparently arrived Friday and has been abandoned in a layby.

The Labour candidate has been seen out on his own, but otherwise no obvious campaign. The LDs reckon they have the backing of even Labour members.

Bozo may not be brave enough to visit, but he has written an awful lot of direct mail letters warning voters that if they don't vote Tory they will get a LibDem MP. The Tories are also out doing mass canvasses.

Since the campaign started there has apparently been a steady flow of Tory remainers to the LibDems and another from BXP to Tory. The ascent of Bozo may have accelerated the latter but otherwise there isnt yet any sign of a Bozo bounce. In particular he isn't doing anything for Tory remainers, and I spoke to a few of these today.

The Tories will have to adapt to their changing support base, which the country landowner types who run the Tories in these parts might find difficult.

Do voters in B+R really need the PM to tell them that if they don't vote Tory they'll get a LD MP?
  • Options

Okay here's my thread header that I scribbled on the full moon but didn't bother bothering Mike with-

Brexit is the biggest side show in history. A farce of a democracy and a large bureaucratic expense its benign malign influence was rarely felt by the average citizen; the EU was and is simply a capitalist supra-national body to facilitate trade.

England and Scotland have been joined since James I of England & VI of Scotland in 1603 before the Glorious Revolution and the now active Act of Union in 1707.

Although all my life people up here have thought of themselves as Scottish first and British second, an independent Scotland was seen as being deeply unpragmatic by the famously described "canny" populous.

This changed with Tony Blair's devolution settlement leading, after a decade of relative calmness, albeit with silly headline grabbing "Free Uni", SNP election wins (they promised more free stuff; err, canny, I guess). The "sophisticated Scottish electorate" (copywrite Curtice) have voted nationalist* for over a decade now.

The UK, having recently voted for its own independence, is now to consider splitting itself in two.

First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon has made it clear she wants indyref2 to happen in 2020 (little more than 5 years after the first; sore loser syndrome existed before the term "remoaners" entered the lexicon.)

The battle for unity on this small island of the north atlantic is to begin again shortly.

Are you ready?

[There are currently no betting markets that relate to an independent Scotland but one would expect Sterling to be affected]

Good summary Briskin , you have a few brain cells working I see. The die are cast, UK NO More is coming.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Do voters in B+R really need the PM to tell them that if they don't vote Tory they'll get a LD MP?
    I guess they think the message has already got through to the non-Tories and they want to crush the BXP on the back of Bozo's no surrender strategy
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Apolgies G, some of these idiots just make you lose the plot.
    No apology needed Malc.

We love you the way you are and at times it takes a lot of my will power not to launch full on attacks on some posters
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Weather's been shocking this weekend but I'm all good thanks. :D
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    AndyJS said:
    Boris is more Berlusconi than May, May was more Gordon Brown
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Weather's been shocking this weekend but I'm all good thanks. :D
    Yes rain horsing down here at present
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Brexit bus abandoned and blocking a lay by. Has some mysterious metaphor generating machine been invented?
    Another triumph for British engineering!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Exactly. It's bizarre that we are even debating it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Are you ready?

Good summary Briskin , you have a few brain cells working I see. The die are cast, UK NO More is coming.
    I'll take the compliments where I find them - thanks Malky
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Brexit bus abandoned and blocking a lay by. Has some mysterious metaphor generating machine been invented?
    Another triumph for British engineering!

No - they have all fled to Boris !!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:
    I have my reservations on Boris but he is no Berlusconi

Indeed he is on the liberal social left
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Lovely day in mid Wales today. Not a cloud in the sky early this morning. Warm and cloudy with sunny spells and light winds all day. Still warm this evening
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Yes he's very much like Cameron actually which is why I like him.

Of the international comparison the best one to compare him to IMO is Ronald Reagan.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,152
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Who, Boris or Berlusconi? Boris was on the liberal social left when he wanted to win in London. Not now. Priti Patel as HS? He may go there again, if it suits him, as with everything else. If you mean Berlusconi, apologies.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Lovely day in mid Wales today. Not a cloud in the sky early this morning. Warm and cloudy with sunny spells and light winds all day. Still warm this evening
    I think we have been under the depression moving up the country as seen in the golf at Lytham and as Malc reports in Ayrshire.

Is has been cold and miserable all day
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I am from Eastbourne and was in town the afternoon of the by election there caused by the death of Ian Gow. A liberal I knew who had been campaigning said they'd put up a good effort and been rewarded with some traffic in their direction. But he said it wasn't anything spectacular and he thought there wasn't the slightest chance of doing anything more than eroding the Tory majority a bit. This was back in the 'dead parrot' days when they'd actually managed to score 0% in one opinion poll not so long before.

As we all know they took the seat with about 4,000 votes.

It's easy to underestimate the impact of solid door knocking, not least when you are doing it. Look at what the ground game did for Labour last general election.

I was going to hazard a fiver on the Tories, but in the light of this I'll keep it in my wallet.
This discussion has been closed.