Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Plus ça change …..Boris’s first few days have followed TMay’s

13»

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:
    Boris is more Berlusconi than May, May was more Gordon Brown
    I have my reservations on Boris but he is no Berlusconi

Indeed he is on the liberal social left
    Who, Boris or Berlusconi? Boris was on the liberal social left when he wanted to win in London. Not now. Priti Patel as HS? He may go there again, if it suits him, as with everything else. If you mean Berlusconi, apologies.
    He's still on the social left.
  • Options
    Last week, I was honoured to be asked by our new prime minister to lead on this government’s No 1 priority — preparing the country to leave the EU, come what may, on October 31. Three years after an historic and decisive referendum vote by the British people, the United Kingdom is finally on the cusp of leaving the European Union.

With a new prime minister, a new government, and a new clarity of mission, we will exit the EU on October 31. No ifs. No buts. No more delay. Brexit is happening.

Unequivocal.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,327
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Who, Boris or Berlusconi? Boris was on the liberal social left when he wanted to win in London. Not now. Priti Patel as HS? He may go there again, if it suits him, as with everything else. If you mean Berlusconi, apologies.
    Boris still is on tne social left as you will see as he unveils more of his domestic agenda

I oppose Boris on no deal but not the policies he is putting forward
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    Sounds as if the government is outsourcing No Deal to the public - if it all goes horribly wrong it'll be our fault for not following their wonderful advice.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,151

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

As with everything else seemingly you’re just wrong about that. Sorry.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,740
    edited July 2019
    Genuinely interesting. Ruth Davidson doesn't bother to hide that she thinks Johnson a turd. Her argument: never mind that, I get to decide what happens in the Scottish Conservatives, I don't sign up to the No Deal pledge, and in any case the Union is the key thing.

Not wholly convincing, but interesting nevertheless. We also learn that she has no plans to quit and she won't instigate a Scottish Conservative party that is independent of the English party (Although she does allow for the Scottish membership to overrule her on the last point).

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonMSP/status/1155414194981916672
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    edited July 2019

IanB2 said:

Yep, the Brexif Bus apparently arrived Friday and has been abandoned in a layby.

The Labour candidate has been seen out on his own, but otherwise no obvious campaign. The LDs reckon they have the backing of even Labour members.

Bozo may not be brave enough to visit, but he has written an awful lot of direct mail letters warning voters that if they don't vote Tory they will get a LibDem MP. The Tories are also out doing mass canvasses.

Since the campaign started there has apparently been a steady flow of Tory remainers to the LibDems and another from BXP to Tory. The ascent of Bozo may have accelerated the latter but otherwise there isnt yet any sign of a Bozo bounce. In particular he isn't doing anything for Tory remainers, and I spoke to a few of these today.

The Tories will have to adapt to their changing support base, which the country landowner types who run the Tories in these parts might find difficult.

I think a LibDem win but not overwhelming.
    I am from Eastbourne and was in town the afternoon of the by election there caused by the death of Ian Gow. A liberal I knew who had been campaigning said they'd put up a good effort and been rewarded with some traffic in their direction. But he said it wasn't anything spectacular and he thought there wasn't the slightest chance of doing anything more than eroding the Tory majority a bit. This was back in the 'dead parrot' days when they'd actually managed to score 0% in one opinion poll not so long before.

As we all know they took the seat with about 4,000 votes.

It's easy to underestimate the impact of solid door knocking, not least when you are doing it. Look at what the ground game did for Labour last general election.

I was going to hazard a fiver on the Tories, but in the light of this I'll keep it in my wallet.
    If the BXP vote completely collapses it isn't impossible. But a lot of the pensioners sent their PVs in a while back.
  • Options

Sounds as if the government is outsourcing No Deal to the public - if it all goes horribly wrong it'll be our fault for not following their wonderful advice.

It’s awesome. Just awesome. I’m currently spending 50% of my time advising companies undertaking collective redundancy programmes as they move to the EU 27 and the other half advising financial services people on their severance packages. But I always reassure them “This is not really happening. It’s just PROJECT FEAR! It’s in your head and redundancy is really a sunny upland.”
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Yep, the Brexif Bus apparently arrived Friday and has been abandoned in a layby.
    The Labour candidate has been seen out on his own, but otherwise no obvious campaign. The LDs reckon they have the backing of even Labour members.
    Bozo may not be brave enough to visit, but he has written an awful lot of direct mail letters warning voters that if they don't vote Tory they will get a LibDem MP. The Tories are also out doing mass canvasses.
    Since the campaign started there has apparently been a steady flow of Tory remainers to the LibDems and another from BXP to Tory. The ascent of Bozo may have accelerated the latter but otherwise there isnt yet any sign of a Bozo bounce. In particular he isn't doing anything for Tory remainers, and I spoke to a few of these today.
    The Tories will have to adapt to their changing support base, which the country landowner types who run the Tories in these parts might find difficult.
    I think a LibDem win but not overwhelming.
    Do voters in B+R really need the PM to tell them that if they don't vote Tory they'll get a LD MP?
    I don`t think they really need him to say that, but it is very kind of him to reinforce the Lib Dem message.
  • Options
    Quite.

The supposed logic of ramping up preparations for a no-deal outcome is that this will induce the EU to blink and drop the repeated insistence of its leaders that the agreement can’t be reopened. They will then buckle and give him concessions that they wouldn’t offer to Mrs May. Now ask yourself this: how likely are Europe’s leaders to make themselves look very stupid in order to make Boris Johnson look very clever?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/28/mr-johnson-swears-off-early-election-sweaty-aroma-says-otherwise
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Dawning, what?

Boris, campaign for something he doesn't want, then have that outcome happen despite wanting the opposite to occur?

Impossible.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

No, as usual I'm right and you're wrong.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    FF43 said:

Genuinely interesting. Ruth Davidson doesn't bother to hide that she thinks Johnson a turd. Her argument: never mind that, I get to decide what happens in the Scottish Conservatives, I don't sign up to the No Deal pledge, and in any case the Union is the key thing.

Not wholly convincing, but interesting nevertheless. We also learn that she has no plans to quit and she won't instigate a Scottish Conservative party that is independent of the English party (Although she does allow for the Scottish membership to overrule her on the last point).

So what actually is her strategy, just quietly tutting and shaking her head in a corner?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:
    The hunch is correct. The Brexit supporting media who instigated the ousting of May by giving coverage to the Brexit party in the run up to the European elections are trying to sell us their creation. I think they misjudge people as it is easy to spot the flaws in Boris Johnson. Some people like him at the moment despite his personal inability to execute the role as PM. However, overtime people who currently support him will turn on him and these flaws will be amplified and will metamorphose into objections.
    Brexit is the Monorail and Boris is Lyle Lanley. It’s about to crash and Homer is still looking for an anchor.
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:
    The hunch is correct. The Brexit supporting media who instigated the ousting of May by giving coverage to the Brexit party in the run up to the European elections are trying to sell us their creation. I think they misjudge people as it is easy to spot the flaws in Boris Johnson. Some people like him at the moment despite his personal inability to execute the role as PM. However, overtime people who currently support him will turn on him and these flaws will be amplified and will metamorphose into objections.
    Brexit is the Monorail and Boris is Lyle Lanley. It’s about to crash and Homer is still looking for an anchor.
    As things stand at the moment it's very hard to see how Johnson's premiership can last beyond the end of October. If we don't leave he's stuffed and if we leave without a deal he is also stuffed. And those seem to be the only available options now.
    He gets a 'lipstick on a pig' deal through the Commons using Lab leavers (and those who don't want a GE now)?
    No chance. Both sides are entrenched, the EU are not going to move and Boris will be eaten alive by Farage if he shows any sign of backsliding.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Who's Vassal state would we be? The EU, Russia's or the USA's - you've not made that clear.

Tip briskin , try to point to previous post you are replying to so we do not think you are just howling at the moon
    Tip MalkyG, try to read the thread header before you start your rants
    Although I think you can be somewhat forgiven, given it's a Cyclefree thread - but at least she tried to make it readable this time.
    You have a strange idea of a rant and WTF looking at the header means I have no clue. However a random answer somewhere in the thread that does not point to the post it refers to is for morons and pointless.
    Unless you are lucky you just have to pass over it.
    LOL - I do agree Cyclefree's thread's can be hard work.
    Is it the written English you struggle with? Or can understand the words but struggle with the concepts?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760

That is why we will shortly launch one of the biggest peacetime public information campaigns this country has seen, so that citizens, communities and businesses can prepare for what will happen if there is no deal.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Who's Vassal state would we be? The EU, Russia's or the USA's - you've not made that clear.

Tip briskin , try to point to previous post you are replying to so we do not think you are just howling at the moon
    Although I think you can be somewhat forgiven, given it's a Cyclefree thread - but at least she tried to make it readable this time.
    You have a strange idea of a rant and WTF looking at the header means I have no clue. However a random answer somewhere in the thread that does not point to the post it refers to is for morons and pointless.
    Is it the written English you struggle with? Or can understand the words but struggle with the concepts?
    Eh? I don't exactly struggle with English words or concepts. I think it's just a bit of a personality clash.

Feel free to evaluate my alternative thread header I've posted down thread btw.
  • Options

Last week, I was honoured to be asked by our new prime minister to lead on this government’s No 1 priority — preparing the country to leave the EU, come what may, on October 31. Three years after an historic and decisive referendum vote by the British people, the United Kingdom is finally on the cusp of leaving the European Union.

With a new prime minister, a new government, and a new clarity of mission, we will exit the EU on October 31. No ifs. No buts. No more delay. Brexit is happening.

Unequivocal.
    “Ah sweet the air with curly smoke
    From all my burning bridges.....”

Dorothy Parker
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,740

FF43 said:

So what actually is her strategy, just quietly tutting and shaking her head in a corner?
    I would say Davidson's strategy, which is to pitch the Conservatives as the natural inclusive party of the Union, has been utterly undermined by her English colleagues.

She is reduced to arguing that the Good need not be the enemy of the Utterly Crap, if the alternative is Unnecessary Catastrophe.

Not a particularly compelling argument IMO
  • Options
    edited July 2019

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

No, as usual I'm right and you're wrong.
    I’m not always right but, based on what you write on here, you wouldn’t know how to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel. My wife is still laughing at your attempt to explain to us the voting patterns of her country and ethnic group yesterday.
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    HYUFD said:
    The latest yougov had Lib Dem’s on twice the Tory vote in Scotland. Where is Fraser getting his data from? As a Scottish Tory member I would vote Lib Dem for Westminster.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Eh? I don't exactly struggle with English words or concepts. I think it's just a bit of a personality clash.

I have done so. I disagree with your conclusions.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Not sure I'd consider someone who uses the the terms bum boys and piccaninnies as socially liberal, but we're all different I guess.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    The latest yougov had Lib Dem’s on twice the Tory vote in Scotland. Where is Fraser getting his data from? As a Scottish Tory member I would vote Lib Dem for Westminster.
    I bet he's plucked the first sub sample that suited his proposition, something of a thing for BJ supporters it seems.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    edited July 2019

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Boris still is on tne social left as you will see as he unveils more of his domestic agenda

Whilst I would love that to be the case I find it very difficult to reconcile that view with the appointment of Patel as HS. That is not the sign of a socially liberal position. To be honest I think Doug is right. Boris is basically in Boris land and would slaughter the first born if he thought it would keep him in power. He is neither liberal nor authoritarian right. He is Boris. And I don't say that approvingly.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I have done so. I disagree with your conclusions.
    Well thank you for taking the time to read it.

You like Cyclefree's writing style - I don't.

It's not a bit deal
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,013

HYUFD said:
    Fraser is an arse of the first order
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

A couple of weeks ago you could not bring yourself to vote for Boris, now you are applauding warmly on all but one policy.

Incredible!
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Whilst I would love that to be the case I find it very difficult to reconcile that view with the appointment of Patel as HS. That is not the sign of a socially liberal position. To be honest I think Doug is right. Boris is basically in Boris land and would slaughter the first born if he thought it would keep him in power. He is neither liberal nor authoritarian right. He is Boris. And I don't say that approvingly.
    It is very rare that you and I agree (even though it has happened before).

I guess this is one of our stopped clock moments :dizzy:
  • Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 129

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You guys should stop carping.. and if you think you can do better, submit a thread to the site owner. I am sure your comments will not be in the least bit as illuminating at the thread itself.
    I cannot believe anybody finds Cyclefree's headers hard work. Unlike a lot of stuff on this site, they are thoughtful, well written and thought provoking. The antithesis of Agent Orange (who I presume to be an Internet Research Group troll) or other pod people.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

A couple of weeks ago you could not bring yourself to vote for Boris, now you are applauding warmly on all but one policy.

Incredible!
    Why? Is he not allowed to change his mind?

One way of showing you have a mind is being prepared to change it.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

HYUFD said:
    Today's YouGov showing the Scottish Brexit Party vote collapsing back to the Scottish Tories
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,343

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!
    Boris has that effect on wo... men. Oh...
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!

Indeed, but it is quite the volte face.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You guys should stop carping.. and if you think you can do better, submit a thread to the site owner. I am sure your comments will not be in the least bit as illuminating at the thread itself.
    I cannot believe anybody finds Cyclefree's headers hard work. Unlike a lot of stuff on this site, they are thoughtful, well written and thought provoking. The antithesis of Agent Orange (who I presume to be an Internet Research Group troll) or other pod people.
    Thank you for that view from the prefect's office, Grabber.

Actually, the prose is stale & heavy with cliches ("The Bard", "chaps", "no sirree", "Do or die", "cast-iron promise").

Like Joe Orton, I just find it funny that people write like that.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Not sure I'd consider someone who uses the the terms bum boys and piccaninnies as socially liberal, but we're all different I guess.
    He uses inappropriate language at times but look at the record with policies. He was one of the first politicians to back equal marriage and he was the leading Tory to endorse equal marriage, before Cameron himself did.

I'd rather a politician that uses inapproprate words on occassion but leads the way with socially liberal laws, than an authoritarian who uses entirely PC language 100% of the time but opposes liberties.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848

The only filthy commie song I know is this one, when I'm world king it's between this and land of hope and glory as the Official anthem-

https://youtu.be/t8EMx7Y16Vo

Naah. Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsC2ETsZL0g

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited July 2019
    Opinium data now out and has Leave voters seeing a 12% swing from the Brexit Party to the Tories since Boris became Tory leader and PM.

Amongst Remain voters the Greens are down 6% and Labour and the LDs up 3% each.

A plurality of voters, 45%, now back Leaving on October 31st with No Deal according to the poll, 28% want to cancel Brexit and Remain in the EU, just 13% want to delay Brexit and extend again until a Deal can get through the Commons.
    42% think the UK government should keep close ties with the US and Trump administration, 35% do not. 63% of LDs and 46% of Labour voters want the UK to distance itself from the Trump administration.
    https://www.opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Opinium-Political-Report-24th-July-2019.pdf
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!

Not really, Boris is putting forward the kind of policies Big_G himself supports so why shouldn't he be applauding those policies?

It would be rather hypocritical or closed-minded to oppose a politician putting forward what you've previously suggested, because of who it is.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!
    I have always opposed no deal and I resign if Boris ends up with no deal

His domestic policies, however, are much in line with my views

So it may be inconvenient but I have not changed on Boris brexit position

I have never opposed conservative social left policies
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Opinium data now out and has Leave voters seeing a 12% swing from the Brexit Party to the Tories since Boris became Tory leader and PM.

Amongst Remain voters the Greens are down 6% and Labour and the LDs up 3% each.

A plurality of voters, 45%, now back Leaving on October 31st with No Deal according to the poll, 28% want to cancel Brexit and Remain in the EU, just 13% want to delay Brexit and extend again until a Deal can get through the Commons.
    42% think the UK government should keep close ties with the US and Trump administration, 35% do not. 63% of LDs and 46% of Labour voters want the UK to distance itself from the Trump administration.
    https://www.opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Opinium-Political-Report-24th-July-2019.pdf

Europe - The final countdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!
    Boris has that effect on wo... men. Oh...
    Sunil hun.... I hope to find Boris a source of intense amusement over the coming weeks. I cannot see what else he might be useful for ;)
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!

Hypothetically if we leave without a deal but the problems from no deal are mitigated/overblown and it turns out to be like a Y2K scenario . . . would you rejoin afterwards do you think, or would that burn bridges even if we're fine afterwards?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!

Not really, Boris is putting forward the kind of policies Big_G himself supports so why shouldn't he be applauding those policies?

It would be rather hypocritical or closed-minded to oppose a politician putting forward what you've previously suggested, because of who it is.
    So why not express that support with a vote?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

The only filthy commie song I know is this one, when I'm world king it's between this and land of hope and glory as the Official anthem-

Naah. Try this:

"Comrades, this is your Leader. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honored to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our Party's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The Conservative Party! For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Attlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our Nationalisations. Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our opposition to a No Deal Brexit! The order is: engage the Corbyn drive!

"Comrades, our own Parliamentary Party don't know our full potential! They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarassment. We will leave our MPs behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their tittering and braying... while we conduct Austerity Debates. Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Liverpool, where the sun is warm, and so is the... comradeship.

"A great day, comrades. We sail into history!"
  • Options
    edited July 2019

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!

A vote on what?

We're not due another vote on anything until after 31 October now at which point Schrodinger's Brexit should have been resolved.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    viewcode said:

Naah. Try this:

No, this is the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63X-Hfrais
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!

"Bring 'em on! I'd prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around!"
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Actually, the prose is stale & heavy with cliches ("The Bard", "chaps", "no sirree", "Do or die", "cast-iron promise").

If you're going to go in for criticism of my English, bearing in mind that I am a lawyer, a word of friendly advice: be accurate.

The piece does not use the word "chaps". "Do or die" and "cast-iron promise" are direct quotes of Boris. I agree that they are stale and cliches but blame Boris not me. He's meant to be the great communicator and paid columnist.

I just bash this stuff out in between work and gardening. Try it for yourself. It's not quite as easy as it seems. I have now done 69 of them and every time I send one I think: "This time, Mike will just say no - not good enough". So I'm immensely grateful for the platform and that people do pay attention to them.

So you don't like the other two phrases. Fair enough. Life would be awfully dull if we all agreed with each other all the time.

PS I find Jo Orton rather dated now. I can see that it was shocking at the time but his stuff has not aged well, IMO.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!

Hypothetically if we leave without a deal but the problems from no deal are mitigated/overblown and it turns out to be like a Y2K scenario . . . would you rejoin afterwards do you think, or would that burn bridges even if we're fine afterwards?
    I cannot make a judgment on a hypothetical case to be fair
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

If you're going to go in for criticism of my English, bearing in mind that I am a lawyer, a word of friendly advice: be accurate.

The piece does not use the word "chaps". "Do or die" and "cast-iron promise" are direct quotes of Boris. I agree that they are stale and cliches but blame Boris not me. He's meant to be the great communicator and paid columnist.

I just bash this stuff out in between work and gardening. Try it for yourself. It's not quite as easy as it seems. I have now done 69 of them and every time I send one I think: "This time, Mike will just say no - not good enough". So I'm immensely grateful for the platform and that people do pay attention to them.

Yeah, you stand up for yourself girl. Anyway, this "vassal state" - who's vassal state will the UK be?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

He uses inappropriate language at times but look at the record with policies. He was one of the first politicians to back equal marriage and he was the leading Tory to endorse equal marriage, before Cameron himself did.

I'd rather a politician that uses inapproprate words on occassion but leads the way with socially liberal laws, than an authoritarian who uses entirely PC language 100% of the time but opposes liberties.
    The Damascene conversion over gay marriage that changed his mind after writing 'If gay marriage was OK – and I was uncertain on the issue – then I saw no reason in principle why a union should not be consecrated between three men, as well as two men, or indeed three men and a dog' didn't seem to prevent Boris hand-picking nine cabinet members who had voted against same sex marriage. His social liberalism will rub off on them no doubt.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

So you don't like the other two phrases. Fair enough. Life would be awfully dull if we all agreed with each other all the time.

PS I find Jo Orton rather dated now. I can see that it was shocking at the time but his stuff has not aged well, IMO.

You used the word "chaps" below when making a correction to the header. I always find it an anachronism, now.

Joe, not Jo, Orton. Of course, it was really John. The early plays don't work so well now, but I still love "Entertaining Mr Sloane".

But he saved his best writing for the Diaries.

Of course, Joe was a complete shit. That is his charm.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    DougSeal said:

It’s awesome. Just awesome. I’m currently spending 50% of my time advising companies undertaking collective redundancy programmes as they move to the EU 27 and the other half advising financial services people on their severance packages. But I always reassure them “This is not really happening. It’s just PROJECT FEAR! It’s in your head and redundancy is really a sunny upland.”
    So in other words, Brexit has created lots of work for you and your firm, and we haven't even left yet?
  • Options

...Boris still is on tne social left as you will see as he unveils more of his domestic agenda...

I'm not sure that's true: somebody socially liberal would not have made Priti Patel Home Secretary. I think he will be more fiscally liberal instead of socially liberal, although I dislike such modern terms.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

You used the word "chaps" below when making a correction to the header. I always find it an anachronism, now.

Joe, not Jo, Orton. Of course, it was really John. The early plays don't work so well now, but I still love "Entertaining Mr Sloane".

Jesus: now people are criticising the English used in BTL comments......!

Do other thread header writers get the same level of textual analysis I wonder? I ought to be flattered I suppose.

Never read Orton's diaries. Have seen a couple of his plays. OK but not something I'd rush to see again. The Alan Bennett film about him and his lover was quite good.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Yeah, you stand up for yourself girl. Anyway, this "vassal state" - who's vassal state will the UK be?
    Dunno. Ask the diehard Brexiteers. They're the ones always using the term. Jacob Rees-Mogg, in particular. I'm poking fun at them not agreeing.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

The Damascene conversion over gay marriage that changed his mind after writing 'If gay marriage was OK – and I was uncertain on the issue – then I saw no reason in principle why a union should not be consecrated between three men, as well as two men, or indeed three men and a dog' didn't seem to prevent Boris hand-picking nine cabinet members who had voted against same sex marriage. His social liberalism will rub off on them no doubt.
    I disagreed with Boris when he wrote that but he wrote that many, many years before any politicians were endorsing equal marriage and then he was a trailblazer for equal marriage.

Actions speak louder than words.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!

"Bring 'em on! I'd prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around!"
    I see you are still channelling your inner Harrison Ford ... :)
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    edited July 2019
    @Sunil_Prasannan : do you mean us to "engage the Corbyn drivel" ?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Incredible!

A vote on what?

We're not due another vote on anything until after 31 October now at which point Schrodinger's Brexit should have been resolved.
    Perhaps you missed the recent voting by Tory members?

*sigh!*
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I thought Boris's gay credentials rested on his voting for the repeal of Section 28 rather than any championing of gay marriage.
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019
    (editing issues; long thread - see above)
  • Options
    RE: Vassel state

Well it it's JRM and the diehard brexiteers then they're probably referring to the EU. Don't you think?

And it's you that likes the WA agreement. So you're sarcastic nonsense at the end is just nonsense after all. Who'd have thunk it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus: now people are criticising the English used in BTL comments......!

Do other thread header writers get the same level of textual analysis I wonder? I ought to be flattered I suppose.

Never read Orton's diaries. Have seen a couple of his plays. OK but not something I'd rush to see again. The Alan Bennett film about him and his lover was quite good.
    The film wasn't good. It was mushy, muddle-witted Stephen Frears at his worst.

There is a great film to be made of his life. But, Frears' film is the wrong way round.

Joe callously exploited his lover. Kenneth was right to smash his head in.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    This is a mighty fine piece of writing. Thanks Cyclefree!!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

...Boris still is on tne social left as you will see as he unveils more of his domestic agenda...

I'm not sure that's true: somebody socially liberal would not have made Priti Patel Home Secretary. I think he will be more fiscally liberal instead of socially liberal, although I dislike such modern terms.

I think the ERG are going to be very surprised on his attitude to immigration and I expect he will introduce the real living wage nationally.

His confirmation yesterday that he will work with Andy Burnham to overhaul the Manchester bus services in line with his work in London bringing together private companies and the LA to provide a cheap and effect bus services is excellent news

He is to invite cross party talks on social care and will introduce changes irrespective of labour's co-operation. Add in the 20,000 police officers and up lifting the pupil premium these are very sensible and long overdue changes
  • Options

viewcode said:

Naah. Try this:

I...I don't know what to say about that. It's quite jolly and fun. It doesn't come across as Soviet at all. Am now puzzled. Entertained, but puzzled... :(
  • Options

They do indeed. A majority of Conservatives in Westminster and Holyrood voted against same sex marriage. I'm not really getting the vibe that social liberalism among Tories has increased since then.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

DougSeal said:

So in other words, Brexit has created lots of work for you and your firm, and we haven't even left yet?
    Indeed, there are acres of new opportunities. Sheep corpse burners, border guards...never waste a good crisis.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Endillion said:

DougSeal said:

Indeed, there are acres of new opportunities. Sheep corpse burners, border guards...never waste a good crisis.
    "My friends, as I have discovered myself, there are no disasters, only opportunities. And, indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters."
    - Boris, 2004.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I disagreed with Boris when he wrote that but he wrote that many, many years before any politicians were endorsing equal marriage and then he was a trailblazer for equal marriage.

They do indeed. And the people who are remembered and thanked are those who were at the vanguard, who risked reputations, jobs and livelihoods. Those who came afterwards, when it was politically expedient... not so much.

Y'know. A bit like Amber Rudd for the Leavers... :)
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Naah. Try this:

I...I don't know what to say about that. It's quite jolly and fun. It doesn't come across as Soviet at all. Am now puzzled. Entertained, but puzzled... :(
    I'm not sure how it came into my life. I like singing it while hiking. I had the sheet music for a while, but I already knew the song from somewhere before I got it. I must have heard somebody sing it and it just stuck.
This discussion has been closed.