Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Three paths to instability

13»

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

The US is going to do a great FTA with England!! Trump may be being more accurate than he realises here ...
    https://twitter.com/brexitcentral/status/1155028419077427201?s=21

Fascinating. Trump made a very clear point of emphasising England. He has probably had briefings on the way the wind is blowing regarding the Union.
    Have you ever been to the US or been in the company of Americans

They always call UK England and to be honest it annoys both my wife and I so much that we correct them whenever we get the chance. It is very apparent on the many cruises we have been on and we do say that we come from the UK and is wrong to refer it as England.

It is fair to make political observations from your own point of view, but on this I disagree with you
    Doesn't only happen in the US. As I'm sure Mr Sandpit will agree.
    Yup. UK, GB, Britain and England are pretty much interchangeable to everyone who doesn’t hold a “UK of GB and NI” passport.

The Brexit discussions have actually changed the way I use the various terms in conversation, I now always start with UK (until the discussion inevitably moves on to cricket).
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    edited July 2019

AndyJS said:

The US is going to do a great FTA with England!! Trump may be being more accurate than he realises here ...

Fascinating. Trump made a very clear point of emphasising England. He has probably had briefings on the way the wind is blowing regarding the Union.

They always call UK England and to be honest it annoys both my wife and I so much that we correct them whenever we get the chance. It is very apparent on the many cruises we have been on and we do say that we come from the UK and is wrong to refer it as England.

It is fair to make political observations from your own point of view, but on this I disagree with you
    Do they intend to cause offence by saying England instead of the UK? Probably not. If offence isn't intended, I think it's wrong to take offence. (And quite often, even if offence is intended, is best to ignore it rather than getting offended).

Most English people wouldn't get offended if a foreigner accidentally called them Scottish, Welsh or Irish. So why do some people from those three countries get offended to be accidentally described as English?
    Because my wife is a Scot and I am half Welsh and we are proud of the Union.

We both object to being called English and try to explain it in a respectful manner
    It can be habit. My wife’s a Connecticut native who has lived here for 13 years, a regular visitor her whole life, fully aware of the differences between the UK, Great Britain and England (if nothing else you need to know them for your “Life in the U.K.” citizenship test) but she still reflexively occasionally says England when she means Britain. And she’s a whole lot smarter than Trump who seemingly struggles to walk and chew gum at the same time.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Do they intend to cause offence by saying England instead of the UK? Probably not. If offence isn't intended, I think it's wrong to take offence. (And quite often, even if offence is intended, is best to ignore it rather than getting offended).

Most English people wouldn't get offended if a foreigner accidentally called them Scottish, Welsh or Irish. So why do some people from those three countries get offended to be accidentally described as English?

We both object to being called English and try to explain it in a respectful manner
    What's so bad about accidentally being referred to as English?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:

It can be habit. My wife’s a Connecticut native who has lived here for 13 years, a regular visitor her whole life, fully aware of the differences between the UK, Great Britain and England (if nothing else you need to know them for your “Life in the U.K.” citizenship test) but she still reflexively occasionally says England when she means Britain. And she’s a whole lot smarter than Trump who seemingly struggles to walk and chew gum at the same time.
    I do agree
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

https://youtu.be/VwGZinTeodc
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Because we are not English. Our family all use British
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    eek said:

eek said:

You can argue that the particular office and secretarial allowance should not have been made available to Clegg post-2015. But, given it was, I fail to see what is wrong in him making a lawful claim for expenses actually incurred. And nobody has ever suggested that it went to Clegg personally rather than paying for a larger office to carry on his work than he'd otherwise have had.

Somehow, my opinion of him might be higher if he had stopped short of doing something that was technically within his rights.

Still, he is a fantastic advert for the LibDems, as he now lies professionally for Facebook.

Remind me, how much tax does Facebook pay? Enough to pay Nick Clegg's expense claims?
    Probably a lot more in Employers National Insurance and from the employee taxes than it does in a lot of other EU countries.

Yes - it probably should be a lot more but no-one has worked out how to tax global corporations locally yet..
    My point is that Nick Clegg did not need to accept a job with Facebook.

Nick Palmer is an ex-MP. He is not working for a tax-avoiding multinational.
    It is a person's right to legally minimise the tax they pay.
    I'd go further. It is the moral obligation of the directors of a firm to do all they legally can for shareholders. If a director chose to let a firm pay tax that they did not have a legal obligation to pay, then they should forfeit their position.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

Chris said:

He probably just had a briefing to try to knock into his thick skull what the "pieces" of the UK were - and perhaps even the difference between the UK and GB - and just about managed to remember one of those pieces of information (with difficulty).
    His mother was Scottish and he spends a lot of time in Scotland. I think it highly unlikely that he is unaware of the difficulties the Union is in.

Many years ago a First Minister (Jack McConnell?) appointed Trump an Ambassador for Scotland. He was forever turning up at Tartan Days etc
    OK - maybe he was really showing off his encyclopaedic knowledge about the UK by telling people England was part of it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Its like calling a Canadian an American.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Its like calling a Canadian an American.
    Good example
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Seriously though - nothing. With my softened accent it happens in the pub to me all the time.
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    When we expecting any polls??? should be interesting

I'd guess a 12 point Tory lead with YouGov
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

Mr. Dickson, either that or lots of people overseas regularly say England when they mean Britain or the UK.

Still, I'm amused you have such faith in Trump's political antennae when it comes to the UK.

It wasn’t an accident. Watch the video. He went out of his way to emphasise the term England, which he claimed was a word you don’t hear that often nowadays.
    I think if you're trying to make any of Trump's statements sound reasonable, it's wise not to go into too much detail.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    My first day in Brecon. Clearly hard fought between LibDem and Tory. The Tories are winning the poster war in the fields and the LibDems in the houses. Delivering the constituency is an immense challenge, due to its size and a certain eccentricity in housing design and numbering. Judging from the doormats of those on holiday the LDs have been churning out the literature, and their HQ is like a Liberal by-election of old with people arriving from far and wide and being sent out with leaflets or canvass cards within minutes.

I saw one Labour poster in town but otherwise there is no sign of any campaign. And the BXP, from first impressions, doesn't exist as a campaigning force on the ground.

No sign of Bunnco so you'll have to put up with me on the spot.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    eek said:

You can argue that the particular office and secretarial allowance should not have been made available to Clegg post-2015. But, given it was, I fail to see what is wrong in him making a lawful claim for expenses actually incurred. And nobody has ever suggested that it went to Clegg personally rather than paying for a larger office to carry on his work than he'd otherwise have had.

Somehow, my opinion of him might be higher if he had stopped short of doing something that was technically within his rights.

Still, he is a fantastic advert for the LibDems, as he now lies professionally for Facebook.

Remind me, how much tax does Facebook pay? Enough to pay Nick Clegg's expense claims?
    Probably a lot more in Employers National Insurance and from the employee taxes than it does in a lot of other EU countries.

Yes - it probably should be a lot more but no-one has worked out how to tax global corporations locally yet..
    Ireland has.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Seriously though - nothing. With my softened accent it happens in the pub to me all the time.
    Are you the same person who's never heard anyone in England conflate being English with being British?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Are you the same person who's never heard anyone in England conflate being English with being British?
    Yes - what's you point Mr boring question man?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yes,surely with all this publicity for Boris, 12 point lead with Yougov is a shoe in.
    Hard to imagine Labour Mps voting for a GE.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yes,surely with all this publicity for Boris, 12 point lead with Yougov is a shoe in.
    I do not expect more than a modest increase in the polls but I concur that I cannot see labour wanting a GE this side of the 31st Oct
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

What's Boris playing at? Is he trying to discredit the Tory Right by giving the wackiest of their number positions of authority that they're bound to muck up? Is this all about making Nigel an utter irrelevance? It's an interesting strategy.
    He is making sure the Govt all sings from the same hymn sheet and shows unity from day one. May had two problems Govt infighting between fractions and back bench infighting. Boris will only have the pro-EU swivel-eyed fraction on the back benches causing trouble.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Nadine Dorries. A government minister. Gavin Williamson in Cabinet. Just let that sink in. This is, unquestionably, the lowest calibre government of all time.
  • Options
    Not sure who was quoting the crappy odds on Hamilton for the win tomorrow but I've just bet on him at 1.66

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/motor-sport/market/1.160449219
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

Nadine Dorries. A government minister. Gavin Williamson in Cabinet. Just let that sink in. This is, unquestionably, the lowest calibre government of all time.

Yup. But with 150 posts to fill (didn't he say he was going to cull this number?) from 312?MPs, minus the number he's fired, minus the number who have resigned, or won't serve, minus the number he personally hates, does not leave a lot of choices.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

I think Boris was bruised by the accusations that he was a bumbling, useless incompetent as Foreign Sec. By promoting these zanies he makes himself look a political colossus in comparison.
  • Options

WTF!?

No chance! 4-5 points would be an excellent lead. 5 points hasn't been achieved since March.
  • Options

What's Boris playing at? Is he trying to discredit the Tory Right by giving the wackiest of their number positions of authority that they're bound to muck up? Is this all about making Nigel an utter irrelevance? It's an interesting strategy.
    He is making sure the Govt all sings from the same hymn sheet and shows unity from day one. May had two problems Govt infighting between fractions and back bench infighting. Boris will only have the pro-EU swivel-eyed fraction on the back benches causing trouble.
    Well, I get that about - for example - the Treasury, Trade/Business, and Foreign Office. But is that true of, for example, education? Or defence?

• Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Steve Baker and Mark Francois got out of this sinister embrace. When the betrayal comes, as it will, Dorries can't vote against the government.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

I do not expect more than a modest increase in the polls but I concur that I cannot see labour wanting a GE this side of the 31st Oct
    Yes it makes no sense to me a GE for Labour before 31st Oct.
  • Options

I would rather have Dorris than Patel. Did I write that ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well, I get that about - for example - the Treasury, Trade/Business, and Foreign Office. But is that true of, for example, education? Or defence?

I might add that Boris Johnson found room for Gavin Williamson, but not Penny Morduant. Which suggests doctrinal purity and ability are less important than loyalty.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

WTF!?

No chance! 4-5 points would be an excellent lead. 5 points hasn't been achieved since March.
    Ah yes, back in the times before Brexiteers completely stopped May from seeing is Brexit. If they wanted 5 pt leads they could have followed through on the policy delivering those leads!
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Let's wait and see. May also had a 25 point lead.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856
    I'm glad to see that Nadine is now a minister.
  • Options

WTF!?

Yes but the Conservatives have had in esscence a week of a campaign.
    With no opposition in the msm , as they would in a GE.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I noticed on the Daily Mail website an interesting story about Boris Johnson and Russians. Apparently he was unsteady on his feet. But the very fact he was recieving Russian hospitality from a Russian billionaire should ring alarm bells...
  • Options
    if its only a 5 point lead Boris would be in big trouble
  • Options
    kle4 said:

WTF!?

Ah yes, back in the times before Brexiteers completely stopped May from seeing is Brexit. If they wanted 5 pt leads they could have followed through on the policy delivering those leads!
    Alternatively back before May flaked on exiting come what may on 29 March like she had promised and caved in to getting an extension.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I might add that Boris Johnson found room for Gavin Williamson, but not Penny Morduant. Which suggests doctrinal purity and ability are less important than loyalty.
    I think he is mixing both together, some are loyal, some doctrinal and some both.
    I hope that in the Sundays there are some decent explanations for the Morduant decision. If it was based on the fact that she refused to say she would back a no deal brexit if it came to that and every other cabinet minster had too, then you can not have one rule for one and let others off.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I guess this posh boy she supports knows the price of milk.
  • Options

No, a 5 point lead would be a very good start. The immediate polls just after May became leader showed a few percentage point increase, which then continued to build after that. It could be 5 points this weekend, then be 10 points within a month.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    Nadine!!!!!!!!! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Reverse expectations management?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    If the Lib Dems aren't on 25% in at least one poll tonight Swinson has to go.
  • Options
    Artist said:

LOL
  • Options
    I'll join in the fun, if Labour aren't on at least 25% Corbyn has to go.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    What polls are we expecting today?
  • Options
    Actually on second thoughts, if on at least 15% then Corbyn is the greatest thing since Marx, keep him.
  • Options

I noticed on the Daily Mail website an interesting story about Boris Johnson and Russians. Apparently he was unsteady on his feet. But the very fact he was recieving Russian hospitality from a Russian billionaire should ring alarm bells...

Those bloody Russians :o Next they'll be interfering with our elections.
  • Options

This story is also interesting given the billionaire in question owns the Evening Standard. It might point to an electoral endoursement of the Tories by that paper in a snap GE. It might also explain the ES political advice to readers since 2016...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Reverse expectations management?
    please... as some random on the internet I'm not sure theres any point to expectations management
  • Options
    RobD said:

Those bloody Russians :o Next they'll be interfering with our elections.
    Russians and the Soviet Union before the end of the cold war have meddled in the UKs affairs. In the miners strike the SU bunged a union some cash for instants...
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    IanB2 said:

My first day in Brecon. Clearly hard fought between LibDem and Tory. The Tories are winning the poster war in the fields and the LibDems in the houses. Delivering the constituency is an immense challenge, due to its size and a certain eccentricity in housing design and numbering. Judging from the doormats of those on holiday the LDs have been churning out the literature, and their HQ is like a Liberal by-election of old with people arriving from far and wide and being sent out with leaflets or canvass cards within minutes.

I saw one Labour poster in town but otherwise there is no sign of any campaign. And the BXP, from first impressions, doesn't exist as a campaigning force on the ground.

I live in a similar constituency to B&R. Chez nous, "posters in fields" are an indication of who landowners support: but most agricultural votes come from the farmers renting those estates - whose mild Brexit support three years ago has now morphed into hard-baked Remainery.

And remember: 95% of Welsh lamb is exported, mostly to the EU. The day after a no-deal Brexit, that lamb attracts a 40% tariff into Europe - because that's what the WTO requires the EU to do.

I've not met a single B&R farmer with a good word to say for Johnson and his deranged gibberish about trade policy.
  • Options
    As an aside, I've met Nadine, and found her charming and helpful.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Con up, BXP down, but nothing too amazing since nobody has tweeted any "amazing poll tonight" teasers.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

This story is also interesting given the billionaire in question owns the Evening Standard. It might point to an electoral endoursement of the Tories by that paper in a snap GE. It might also explain the ES political advice to readers since 2016...
    Though given the Conservatives’ fortunes in the capital, many years of support by the London Evening Standard appear not to be worth much.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IanB2 said:

Excellent. It is entirely counter-productive.

I remember one General Election morning being woken at 6.00 am by some LibDem fanatic, posting a leaflet noisily through my letter box, saying "Good Morning. Remember to Vote LibDem today".

When I got to the polling booth that evening, I was tired and I remembered some bastard had woke me up really early and I voted accordingly.

Nothing will help the Tories more than LibDems clattering through Welsh lanes with their English accents.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    This is interesting from Isabel Hardman.

Johnson has made clear to the moderate ministers that, if he does strike a deal, he will expect them to go forth and sell it to their faction within the Conservative party. On this, they are quite optimistic, pointing to Oliver Letwin telling the Commons on Thursday: “I personally will certainly vote for any arrangement he makes for an orderly exit from the EU.” They see an appetite from the anti-no deal camp for any deal at all, which will make trying to sell even a poor deal much easier.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/26/cabinet-tories-moderate-worrying-boris-johnson-no-deal-brexit

What's this 'poor deal' that Boris is going to get and attempt to sell? I think the ground is being prepared to resurrect Theresa's WA here.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The deer farmers and fishing fleet of Richmond upon Thames will be delighted to have their MP fighting their corner.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Scott_P said:

So BoZo, the "winner", could lose his first 2 by-elections...

Possibly 3: B&R, Dover, Hallam. But surely not even Johnson's dad thinks Johnson's perversion of Conservatism will get anywhere in Hallam?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

IanB2 said:

I remember one General Election morning being woken at 6.00 am by some LibDem fanatic, posting a leaflet noisily through my letter box, saying "Good Morning. Remember to Vote LibDem today".

When I got to the polling booth that evening, I was tired and I remembered some bastard had woke me up really early and I voted accordingly.

Nothing will help the Tories more than LibDems clattering through Welsh lanes with their English accents.
    Certainly there are residents clearly suffering campaign fatigue and refusing to take any more leaflets. But that’s true of very hard fought by election,

You are wrong about early morning leaflets. They make a real impact. I doubt however that B&R is the type of constituency that lends itself to one; even the LibDems don’t have that much help.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    rcs1000 said:

I saw David Milliband today in Primrose Hill, walking with his elderly mother.

And I saw Monty Panesar in Waitrose. The one in Finchley Rd.

Think yours is a bit better.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

WTF!?

Come off it, it has been wall to wall Boris all week.Eye catching new expenditure commitments. Tweaking the noses of both Iran and the EU. What more could you want?

I genuinely believe a 10 point plus lead should be easy. It might not be there next week but today, nailed on.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

IanB2 said:

I live in a similar constituency to B&R. Chez nous, "posters in fields" are an indication of who landowners support: but most agricultural votes come from the farmers renting those estates - whose mild Brexit support three years ago has now morphed into hard-baked Remainery.

And remember: 95% of Welsh lamb is exported, mostly to the EU. The day after a no-deal Brexit, that lamb attracts a 40% tariff into Europe - because that's what the WTO requires the EU to do.

I've not met a single B&R farmer with a good word to say for Johnson and his deranged gibberish about trade policy.
    There are a lot of sheep here, for sure. Some of the fields don’t even have fences so they wander out onto the road.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

IanB2 said:

r/thathappened
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

You're a very naughty fellow Sean .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Artist said:

Indeed.

Shares in Auchentennach Fine Pies will plummet quicker than a Boeing 737 !! .... :anguished:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    The deer farmers and fishing fleet of Richmond upon Thames will be delighted to have their MP fighting their corner.
    Goldsmith is very genuine on environment and animal welfare - I spoke (obviously in my non-partisan job) alongside him at the last Tory animals fringe meeting.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Johnson has made clear to the moderate ministers that, if he does strike a deal, he will expect them to go forth and sell it to their faction within the Conservative party. On this, they are quite optimistic, pointing to Oliver Letwin telling the Commons on Thursday: “I personally will certainly vote for any arrangement he makes for an orderly exit from the EU.” They see an appetite from the anti-no deal camp for any deal at all, which will make trying to sell even a poor deal much easier.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/26/cabinet-tories-moderate-worrying-boris-johnson-no-deal-brexit

What's this 'poor deal' that Boris is going to get and attempt to sell? I think the ground is being prepared to resurrect Theresa's WA here.

MV4? This’ll be fun.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    rcs1000 said:

IIRC, you've also met Anne Coulter. You be weird, dude... :)
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

IIRC, you've also met Anne Coulter. You be weird, dude... :)
    Our very own Louis Theroux!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Opinium in the Observer has

Con 30 +7
    Lab 28 +3
    LD 16 +1
    BP 15 -7
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Best PM

Johnson 38
    Corbyn 17
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    @HYUFD likes this
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Opinium in the Observer has

Con 30 +7
    Lab 28 +3
    LD 16 +1
    BP 15 -7

30%? Someone pass the smelling salts :o
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655

Exactly. The deal Bozo voted for is the deal he will present, just with added bluster and bullshit.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    On that opinium:

Flavible: Con 289, Lab 246, LD 41, SNP 51, BXP 1
    Baxter: Con 301, Lab 253, LD 37, SNP 37, BXP 1

https://flavible.com
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.