Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The July local by-elections see the LD surge continuing

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited July 2019

AndyJS said:

Joe Root: wicket was sub-standard for a test match.

That's nonsense. 303 in England second innings. 92 for nightwatchman. Ireland top order all getting a start but not pushing on in first innings. None of these point to batsman's graveyard.

What we had was England mental fragility in their first innings, Ireland showing inexperience in first innings, England posting adequate total balance n second but some not turning up, and total emotional collapse by Ireland chasing a gettable total for first Test victory. Nothing to do with the man in charge of the roller, for goodness sake.
    Also the wickets (especially today) weren't due to uneven bounce / crazy spin, it was classic English overcast conditions where the ball nips around....and lots and lots of terrible shots.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Fake growth.

https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1154732465711435777

Q4 adjusted from 2.2% to 1.1% seems pretty substantial.

WTF!? How do you make such a mammoth error?
    Aren't those annualised figures, so the difference between growth on the quarter of 0.5% and 0.3%? That's larger than a normal revision, but not that much larger.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

Shouldn't you be watching FP2 ?

And remember - don't forget to tip whoever's quickest in FP3 for pole.

The forecast for tomorrow is thunderstorms. It could be a long day for teams and drivers. Sunday is also looking wet, but not so severely so.

Hot and sunny today though.
    Thanks for the intel - Hamilton's good in the wet I know that much.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Some of these swings from CON to LD are phenomenal. As was the swing from Lab to PC. As I said before, some of those switching to the LDs are Remainer Tories in addition to many from Labour.

It would be interesting what Brecon & Radnorshire throws up.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,000
    Mr. Indyref, tricky though as timing of rain could prove critical.

As with others, I agree today's results, in consistent sun with significantly higher temperatures, mean very little.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Fake growth.

Aren't those annualised figures, so the difference between growth on the quarter of 0.5% and 0.3%? That's larger than a normal revision, but not that much larger.
    100.5 and 100.3 are basically the same number.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Considering Labour have so many members all over the country, why don't they do better in local elections?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Artist said:

Considering Labour have so many members all over the country, why don't they do better in local elections?

Remainers do not want to vote for them ? Leavers , of course, won't.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

The Lib Dems have had half an hour to outline a five year programme... and managed to come up with one piece of legislation: PR. Which was the only well-known LD policy back in the 1980s.

You guys have a problem: we all know what you are against, Brexit. But what on earth are you for? Short and snappy, a la Tony. Don’t be shy.

You haven't been listening Stuart .....

"BOLLOCKS"
    Oki doki, so far the Lib Dem pledgcard has:
    1. PR
    2. take a toke of this Camberwell Carrot man
    3. BOLLOCKS!

What does PM Vicky Pollard do with the other 4 years 8 months in government?
    Monthly alternate referenda on STV and compulsory beards for males over the age of 16.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,934

Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

The forecast for tomorrow is thunderstorms. It could be a long day for teams and drivers. Sunday is also looking wet, but not so severely so.

Lewis has won all of the last eight races in which rain tyres featured. He’s definitely worth a look but I fear he’ll be evens or so if he’s close to the front of the grid, which is definitely too short for a wet race. I’d also look at safety car odds, looking for 10/1 or thereabouts for No SC.
  • Options

Fake growth.

Yes, the US quarterly figures are annualised, so as you say it’s not quite the huge difference those figures suggest.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's an impressive run. Whether it shows more than the fact that the Lib Dems have got a well-oiled campaigning machine I'm not sure.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    JackW said:

JackW said:

The Lib Dems have had half an hour to outline a five year programme... and managed to come up with one piece of legislation: PR. Which was the only well-known LD policy back in the 1980s.

You guys have a problem: we all know what you are against, Brexit. But what on earth are you for? Short and snappy, a la Tony. Don’t be shy.

You haven't been listening Stuart .....

"BOLLOCKS"
    1. PR
    3. BOLLOCKS!

Monthly alternate referenda on STV and compulsory beards for males over the age of 16.
    Ginger beards?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

Lewis has won all of the last eight races in which rain tyres featured. He’s definitely worth a look but I fear he’ll be evens or so if he’s close to the front of the grid, which is definitely too short for a wet race. I’d also look at safety car odds, looking for 10/1 or thereabouts for No SC.
    He's 1.77 at the moment. I might have taken evens
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, Verstappen (each way) would be very tempting at 10 or so for the win, but that only went to top 2 last time I checked (for qualifying it's same odds but top 3).
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Through the indifference of English Tories and the repudiation of Remainer centrist dads, that's how the Union will end.

https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1154722746217226240

64% of Scottish Leave voters still oppose Scottish independence even if 51% of Scottish Remain voters now back it, putting No to Scottish independence still narrowly ahead despite Brexit

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2019/07/could-brexit-yet-undermine-the-future-of-the-british-state/
    I think there's quite a bit wishful thinking at work. A lot of people seem to think that the breakup of the UK would be a fitting punishment for having voted to leave the EU.
    I don’t want the break up of the Union.

What I want is Brexit is seen as such an error that UK ends up rejoining the EU replete with membership of the Euro PDQ.

The reaction of Leavers would be awesome.
    The break up of the UK is the most plausible way that England could end up in the Eurozone. I don't see the UK rejoining as the UK if we leave.

The break up of the union in the case of no deal Brexit is seen by a group of Scots including myself as making the best of a bad situation. I still intend to vote Tory for MSPs and council elections but need the certainty for my business. It is the movement of key voters such as businessmen and farmers which could tip the balance in the end. The Scottish economy cant afford to take a further hit based on long term notions of taking back control.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,311

1. PR
    3. BOLLOCKS!

Speed bumps.

Construct where none currently exist.

And where they do, construct more.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Through the indifference of English Tories and the repudiation of Remainer centrist dads, that's how the Union will end.

64% of Scottish Leave voters still oppose Scottish independence even if 51% of Scottish Remain voters now back it, putting No to Scottish independence still narrowly ahead despite Brexit

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2019/07/could-brexit-yet-undermine-the-future-of-the-british-state/
    I think there's quite a bit wishful thinking at work. A lot of people seem to think that the breakup of the UK would be a fitting punishment for having voted to leave the EU.

What I want is Brexit is seen as such an error that UK ends up rejoining the EU replete with membership of the Euro PDQ.

The break up of the UK is the most plausible way that England could end up in the Eurozone. I don't see the UK rejoining as the UK if we leave.

The break up of the union in the case of no deal Brexit is seen by a group of Scots including myself as making the best of a bad situation. I still intend to vote Tory for MSPs and council elections but need the certainty for my business. It is the movement of key voters such as businessmen and farmers which could tip the balance in the end. The Scottish economy cant afford to take a further hit based on long term notions of taking back control.
    Welcome!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

The Podsmead local by-election result is very interesting. It's an example of exactly what I, and others, were arguing about in terms of tactical voting. If a few voters who had voted Lib Dem had decided to vote "tactically" for Labour, because Labour won the ward at the previous election, then the Conservatives would have sneaked it just ahead of the Lib Dems.

I think that potential for confusion gives Johnson a great chance of winning a majority.

Let me get this straight.

Podsmead (Gloucester) result:
    LDEM: 30.0% (+30.0)
    CON: 29.6% (-18.5)
    LAB: 18.0% (-33.9)
    BREX: 16.4% (+16.4)
    GRN: 4.3% (+4.3)
    UKIP: 1.6% (+1.6)
    Liberal Democrat GAIN from Labour.

You are basing your argument on what might have happened if people had voted differently - but didn't.
    Is that correct?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

1. PR
    3. BOLLOCKS!

Speed bumps.

Construct where none currently exist.

And where they do, construct more.
    Oh lordie. A pet hate of mine.

Luckily compulsory speed restrictors on vehicles will soon make physical bumps and barriers redundant.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

He's 1.77 at the moment. I might have taken evens
    That’s way too short, even for a driver of Hamilton’s ability, given the weather is likely to be highly variable. I’d be tempted to initially lay at that price, then keep a careful eye on the in-play prices on Saturday and Sunday.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The Scottish economy will take an even bigger hit on the break up of the union. Lay off the kool aid.
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    I am wondering if the plan of BJ is to extend the backstop to include Scotland under agreement that Scottish MPs don't vote on English trade issues with EC. This gets him his Brexit without hard border in Ireland.
  • Options

It's an impressive run. Whether it shows more than the fact that the Lib Dems have got a well-oiled campaigning machine I'm not sure.

I'm guessing here, but I'd suspect that every party that has gone on to win a general election has done well in local elections beforehand, but that not every party that has done well in local elections has then gone on to win the general election.

In a technical sense you would call this a necessary, but not sufficient condition.

So, it's good, as far as it goes, for the Lib Dems, and bad for Labour.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    edited July 2019
    OK -

Piece from the @MSmithsonPB gang at Political Betting. Well worth reading in full. https://t.co/ouTlHy0omz

— Nick Cohen (@NickCohen4) July 26, 2019
    Someone whose books I have is reading and liking what I write.

I think I need a lie down .........
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, that'd be demented. It'd be even worse than the backstop. It'd put the border in Great Britain and institutionalise another divide between Scotland and England/Wales.

Given how daft it is, the blonde fool might do it.
  • Options

I am wondering if the plan of BJ is to extend the backstop to include Scotland under agreement that Scottish MPs don't vote on English trade issues with EC. This gets him his Brexit without hard border in Ireland.

Look we all like being Scottish but there's no need to break up the political union of the these islands of the north atalantic cus you like singing Flower of Scotland.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776

Sandpit said:

Just turned on the cricket thought it was rained off for today.

Did anyone seriously think England would let Ireland win this one?

How close to a record is getting 85 first time out and still winning a completed match?
    According to BBC it is "the fifth-lowest first innings score to then win a Test and the lowest since 1907."
    But back then you could encounter some really bad wickets - think a thin crust on a pitch of mud. The range of conditions a batsman might encounter was rather more extreme than today.
  • Options
    To move from sport to politics, does anyone agree that Boris’s idea of a binding commitment on EU citizens’ rights is going to be a useful way of eating up Parliamentary time in September?

He’ll propose something with clear cross-party support, and the Grievers won’t be able to amend it - as doing so would explicitly deny those rights to EU citizens in the event of no deal?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,291

Artist said:

Remainers do not want to vote for them ? Leavers , of course, won't.
    This. Our position is absurd and both sides are avoiding us like the preverbial
  • Options

The Podsmead local by-election result is very interesting. It's an example of exactly what I, and others, were arguing about in terms of tactical voting. If a few voters who had voted Lib Dem had decided to vote "tactically" for Labour, because Labour won the ward at the previous election, then the Conservatives would have sneaked it just ahead of the Lib Dems.

I think that potential for confusion gives Johnson a great chance of winning a majority.

You are basing your argument on what might have happened if people had voted differently - but didn't.
    Is that correct?
    Yes. Labour have dropped from first to third, so it would have been mistaken to see them as best placed to defeat the Tories.

I think they could drop to third in some of the marginal seats they currently hold, given present opinion polls.
  • Options
    Bad, but worse than murder?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

No one other than Hamilton has won a wet race since 2014.
  • Options

ttps://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1154746796352122881
    18 years....ouch. Paging Tom Watson.

That’s a severe sentence! Did he not claim mental illness or diminished responsibility? Even if he did what he did maliciously, he didn’t actually kill anyone.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

How close to a record is getting 85 first time out and still winning a completed match?
    According to BBC it is "the fifth-lowest first innings score to then win a Test and the lowest since 1907."
    But back then you could encounter some really bad wickets - think a thin crust on a pitch of mud. The range of conditions a batsman might encounter was rather more extreme than today.
    England actually won the match in which they made their lowest ever score of 45.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/17702/scorecard/62420/australia-vs-england-1st-test-england-tour-of-australia-1886-87
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Artist said:

But the members are bunched in the big cities like Bristol and Brighton.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Sandpit said:

That’s a severe sentence! Did he not claim mental illness or diminished responsibility? Even if he did what he did maliciously, he didn’t actually kill anyone.
    The Courts do hand down severe sentences for people who try to undermine the proper administration of justice.

As far as I know, he did not claim diminished responsibility.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,390
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

OK -

Piece from the @MSmithsonPB gang at Political Betting. Well worth reading in full. https://t.co/ouTlHy0omz

Bravo - was a great piece as well.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

Verstappen was having a good race in the wet in Brazil a year or so ago - back when I was a pleb and had to listen on the radio so can't remember if he was leading or not.
  • Options

Bad, but worse than murder?
    Pour encourager les autres? Given that it is entirely pre-meditated and yet murder often isn't?

(IANAL, obvs)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

OK -

Bravo - was a great piece as well.
    He obviously meant below the line as well where my sparkling banter was at it's best.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,016
    edited July 2019

Isn't there a ferry from Belfast to Liverpool
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Sandpit said:

How does “Parliament stop no deal”? What are mechanics of how this comes about?

VONC if nothing else works. It's clear that some Tories will vote to bring down their own government if its the only way of stopping no deal. Though I suspect something slightly less drastic will be cooked up in Sept/Oct. I'm not an expert in procedure but at least 400 of 650 MPs, a huge majority in the Lords and a large majority of voters oppose no deal - the politics of that are clear. The Commons will find a way I have no doubt.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Entirely well deserved. He obstructed justice, led the police on several wild goose chases, harmed in an appallingly cruel way those who were wrongly accused and diminished the suffering of those who have been genuinely abused.

Yeah: 18 years is about right.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

So is the cricket some sort of political omen?

Under PM May the Irish were crushing the English.

Under PM Boris the tables were swiftly turned and led to an Irish collapse.

T May was in the stands yesterday for the best day of English batting. Perhaps she's a good luck charm for the team (and the nation?)
    I completely agree!

Her being retired, out of Westminster, out of Downing Street and enjoying the cricket is a very good luck charm for the nation.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

The Courts do hand down severe sentences for people who try to undermine the proper administration of justice.

Going to be an interesting judgement to read.

Also serious questions to answer from a lot of people involved with ‘Nick’ over the years - yes, including Tom Watson.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Entirely well deserved. He obstructed justice, led the police on several wild goose chases, harmed in an appallingly cruel way those who were wrongly accused and diminished the suffering of those who have been genuinely abused.

Tom Watson should be tried as an accomplice, be given half of that.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

Verstappen was having a good race in the wet in Brazil a year or so ago - back when I was a pleb and had to listen on the radio so can't remember if he was leading or not.
    He came from the back to the podium, but Lewis still won the race.
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019

So is the cricket some sort of political omen?

Under PM May the Irish were crushing the English.

Under PM Boris the tables were swiftly turned and led to an Irish collapse.

T May was in the stands yesterday for the best day of English batting. Perhaps she's a good luck charm for the team (and the nation?)
    I completely agree!

Her being retired, out of Westminster, out of Downing Street and enjoying the cricket is a very good luck charm for the nation.
    Didn't Major set this precedent and you eventually won the ashes in 05
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

It is difficult, because anyone contending he is sane is faced with the question: "OK, so give me just one example of a sane motive for doing what he did." There was afaik no suggestion of blackmail.

I would not be amazed if there were a kernel of truth underlying his claims (emphatically *not* involving any of the individuals named by him) and this was an attempt to get some kind of retribution from the universe.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

VONC if nothing else works. It's clear that some Tories will vote to bring down their own government if its the only way of stopping no deal. Though I suspect something slightly less drastic will be cooked up in Sept/Oct. I'm not an expert in procedure but at least 400 of 650 MPs, a huge majority in the Lords and a large majority of voters oppose no deal - the politics of that are clear. The Commons will find a way I have no doubt.
    Bringing down their own government isn't enough unless they're prepared to install a new government . . . and Corbyn looks in no mood to endorse anybody else, not when he can either let the Tories own a crash out and still get his election or be installed himself as the only alternative.

So are there enough Tories and other MPs willing to install Corbyn as PM?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Going to be an interesting judgement to read.

Also serious questions to answer from a lot of people involved with ‘Nick’ over the years - yes, including Tom Watson.
    Exaro have rather more questions to answer than Watson. And may also have committed offences as well.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Tom Watson should be tried as an accomplice, be given half of that.
    He is now trying to claim that he had nothing to do with anything beyond encouraging him to contact the plod....him standing up in HoC talking about VIP paedo rings and being on the news seemingly every other day about this must be my imagination.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,799
    HYUFD said:

By sticking to polls with the 'standard' referendum question, that neatly excludes the only poll (Panelbase) to specifically put Indyref2 in the context of No-Deal and WDA Brexit scenarios. This poll put the Scottish Remain voters for independence at 63/62% respectively.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

might be worth a punt if it does rain then.

I've kept my F1 betting on break-even for a good few years just by backing Hamilton so it would be quite a change of style for me.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting comment, thanks. To a lay person it seemed harsh, even given the obvious gravity of the offences.

Oh, and many congratulations on the well-deserved praise for your excellent piece the other day :)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

England actually won the match in which they made their lowest ever score of 45.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/17702/scorecard/62420/australia-vs-england-1st-test-england-tour-of-australia-1886-87
    What do the crosses next to Sherwin and Blackham mean? Normally a cross means somebody has died, but I presume everyone from 1886 has died.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Sandpit said:

Bringing down their own government isn't enough unless they're prepared to install a new government . . . and Corbyn looks in no mood to endorse anybody else, not when he can either let the Tories own a crash out and still get his election or be installed himself as the only alternative.

Why not? He won't be able to pass any legislation they don't approve of and can vonc him any time
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

What do the crosses next to Sherwin and Blackham mean? Normally a cross means somebody has died, but I presume everyone from 1886 has died.
    He was the wicket keeper.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    A Government of All the Fuckwits.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    My PT was talking this morning about the really hot weather and got onto a discussion, a monologue really, about global warming. He then talked about how this might lead to the gulf stream breaking down (I understand that this is in fact quite unlikely but when you're in the middle of a set of split squats you don't feel inclined to argue). Pursuing his thesis, he suggested that the earth may have stabilising mechanisms to counteract our actions.

Recovering between sets, I rummaged around the lumber room of my memory and retrieved the Gaia hypothesis, which is the idea that the earth is a single self-correcting system. He had not heard of this before and was intrigued.

I got back to my desk and refreshed my memory about the Gaia hypothesis. It was originally proposed by James Lovelock.

James Lovelock is 100 today. I have not thought of him or his theory for at least 20 years. For him to come back to mind today on his 100th birthday is quite a coincidence.

Anyway, happy birthday Mr Lovelock.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

I've kept my F1 betting on break-even for a good few years just by backing Hamilton so it would be quite a change of style for me.
    Oh he’s certainly the favourite, just not odds-on with a weekend of thunderstorms forecast.

One mistimed red flag and he might start at the back, to be involved in someone else’s accident during the race.
  • Options
    Mr. Indyref, a good tactic, and for next year as well, most likely.

There's more potential for a big change to the pecking order when the regulations are significantly changed, though.
  • Options

My PT was talking this morning about the really hot weather and got onto a discussion, a monologue really, about global warming. He then talked about how this might lead to the gulf stream breaking down (I understand that this is in fact quite unlikely but when you're in the middle of a set of split squats you don't feel inclined to argue). Pursuing his thesis, he suggested that the earth may have stabilising mechanisms to counteract our actions.

Recovering between sets, I rummaged around the lumber room of my memory and retrieved the Gaia hypothesis, which is the idea that the earth is a single self-correcting system. He had not heard of this before and was intrigued.

I got back to my desk and refreshed my memory about the Gaia hypothesis. It was originally proposed by James Lovelock.

James Lovelock is 100 today. I have not thought of him or his theory for at least 20 years. For him to come back to mind today on his 100th birthday is quite a coincidence.

And if you listen to him these days he remains perfectly lucid (notwithstanding your view of Gaia Theory).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    All these "principled" resignations are from people who served under "No deal is better than a bad deal" May for years.

Why is no deal 2.5 years into the 2 year window of Article 50 so unacceptable, but it was acceptable to state as your option for years?

Or was it just on an assumption that May was lying to everyone and would never follow through whereas Boris might be telling the truth?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon Morris,

Oh he’s certainly the favourite, just not odds-on with a weekend of thunderstorms forecast.

One mistimed red flag and he might start at the back, to be involved in someone else’s accident during the race.
    As I said - I might have taken evens - we're not in disagreement - and even Bottas fan Morris likes my tactics
  • Options

Is that correct?
    Yes. Labour have dropped from first to third, so it would have been mistaken to see them as best placed to defeat the Tories.

I think they could drop to third in some of the marginal seats they currently hold, given present opinion polls.
    This council seat was probably a bad example to choose because the LibDems didn't have a candidate last time. This makes their achievement even more impressive.
    I think you're right that we could see some really interesting results in a General Election, but not just on the Labour side.
  • Options

Mr. Indyref, a good tactic, and for next year as well, most likely.

There's more potential for a big change to the pecking order when the regulations are significantly changed, though.

Am I right that you have an old bet at good odds, on Hamilton beating Schumacher’s all-time wins record of 91?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

He was the wicket keeper.
    So only 1 player of the 40 out was out caught by wicket keeper?

That seems unusual too!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    I have to admit I'm a bit confused about the lib dem position. Labour wants to try to renegotiate a softer Brexit, then put that to a referendum. As far as I understand the difference with the lib dems is they want to do just the referendum, not the renegotiation.

Given that, if Leave wins this second referendum, do the lib dems want us to leave under May's deal? If so, surely that makes Labour the more remainy party. And if not, what deal would we be leaving under? One that has no democratic mandate because they decided to vote for it before deciding what it was, which is surely the mistake the Tories made that put us in this mess in the first place.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Sounds like one for Rupert Sheldrake.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

Scott_P said:
    All these "principled" resignations are from people who served under "No deal is better than a bad deal" May for years.

Why is no deal 2.5 years into the 2 year window of Article 50 so unacceptable, but it was acceptable to state as your option for years?

Or was it just on an assumption that May was lying to everyone and would never follow through whereas Boris might be telling the truth?
    May's No Deal threat was only ever in the absence of a deal, not in the absence of a majority. Read the manifesto.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I fully expect all of these will have opted in previously.

If you'd opted in to receive emails from the Conservatives under May or Cameron that will continue through to Boris.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, it's entirely legitimate if they believe May's deal to be better than no deal.

Mr. Sandpit, yeah, from last year. I got 9 on Hamilton amass 92+ wins. He's about 11 shy at the moment. I expect to collect in the first half of next year.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That is the key question.

IMO, the number of Tories for Corbyn would be in very low single figures.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Ooh, what a surprise! A Guardian hit-piece on Dominic Cummings, that could mostly have been written three years ago after he masterminded the Vote Leave campaign.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,016
    Cyclefree said:
    That's not true - there are Fuckwits on the oppostion bench who aren't in the Government.
  • Options

Mr. Thompson, it's entirely legitimate if they believe May's deal to be better than no deal.

Mr. Sandpit, yeah, from last year. I got 9 on Hamilton amass 92+ wins. He's about 11 shy at the moment. I expect to collect in the first half of next year.

That’s an awesome bet, well done!

P2 finishing early, after Pierre Gasly gives his mechanics a very long evening.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

It is difficult, because anyone contending he is sane is faced with the question: "OK, so give me just one example of a sane motive for doing what he did." There was afaik no suggestion of blackmail.

I would not be amazed if there were a kernel of truth underlying his claims (emphatically *not* involving any of the individuals named by him) and this was an attempt to get some kind of retribution from the universe.
    Two young women told lies about Stefan Kizcko that got him wrongly imprisoned for murder. For some reason, they were never prosecuted.

Some people just seem to take pleasure from making purely malicious allegations against innocent people.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

May's No Deal threat was only ever in the absence of a deal, not in the absence of a majority. Read the manifesto.
    No, it was in the absence of a good deal. Parliament has three times dismissed the deal as a bad deal and now the PM has killed it off, so there is no deal. No point flogging the dead horse anymore.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Ooh, what a surprise! A Guardian hit-piece on Dominic Cummings, that could mostly have been written three years ago after he masterminded the Vote Leave campaign.
    The Vote Leave campaign is one of the main reasons that Brexit has been a complete car crash for the last three years. Nigel Farage has far more political nous than Dominic Cummings.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's a good question. I think it was that once reality hit May it became obvious that the rhetoric couldn't be sustained. But yes, it was a f***ing stupid thing to have said.
  • Options

Spooky. This is my favourite personal coincidence. I once inexplicably forgot my cashpoint PIN; however, the friend I was with was able to tell me it because he'd looked over my shoulder and memorized it on a previous occasion (for some strange reason). Anyway, with cash in hand we went to the pub. As we sat down with our drinks 'Roxanne' by The Police was playing on the jukebox. The disc number/track number was also being displayed. It was the same number as my PIN.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    The Vote Leave campaign is one of the main reasons that Brexit has been a complete car crash for the last three years. Nigel Farage has far more political nous than Dominic Cummings.
    That's just sour grapes because Vote Leave ran circles around your side and won.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    I wouldn't call that a hit piece. It's balanced and fair.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,292
    Scott_P said:
    Do I need to see an optician or does Dominic Cummings look like some sort of Star Trek alien?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

It's a good question. I think it was that once reality hit May it became obvious that the rhetoric couldn't be sustained. But yes, it was a f***ing stupid thing to have said.
    But she kept up with the rhetoric until she left. Fair enough to change your mind, but was she lying when she continued to say it even recently she was still insisting no deal must be an option.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    That's just sour grapes because Vote Leave ran circles around your side and won.
    I was disenfranchised in the referendum. Cameron's Remain was a Eurosceptic campaign.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    The Vote Leave campaign operated under the parameters of the question and legislation they were given by the 2015 Parliament. It’s not a campaigner’s fault that Parliament left the question so open-ended.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

But she kept up with the rhetoric until she left. Fair enough to change your mind, but was she lying when she continued to say it even recently she was still insisting no deal must be an option.
    Boris Johnson is also lying about it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    The Vote Leave campaign operates under the parameters of the question and legislation they were given by the 2015 Parliament. It’s not a campaigner’s fault that Parliament left the question so open-ended.
    Vote Leave came up with a very clear, clean and straightforward way of leaving. Lets hope we finally do it now.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,292
    Scott_P said:
    That really is depressing, but then if we have a superhero PM why would we need an everyday hero?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    The Vote Leave campaign operates under the parameters of the question and legislation they were given by the 2015 Parliament. It’s not a campaigner’s fault that Parliament left the question so open-ended.
    Vote Leave came up with a very clear, clean and straightforward way of leaving. Lets hope we finally do it now.
    You sure about that? This was their laughable 'plan':

https://twitter.com/vote_leave/status/744138949384278016
This discussion has been closed.