Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 13 days to go until the Brecon and Radnorshire by election and

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,249
    Cyclefree said:

Reselecting Chris Davies is going to look utterly idiotic a couple of Friday mornings from now.

Whatever feelings there were among local members of loyalty and that he'd been hard done by will absolutely not get across in a campaign where everyone else just has to prefix his name with "convicted fraudster".

The evidence of his recall ballot (and Onasanya's) is that enough voters are willing to give "criminal MPs" a good hard kicking, whatever the mitigation.

He is not, of course, a convicted fraudster. As the judge who sentenced him said, he did not benefit financially in any way from his actions. As the law stands that means it was stupid but it was not fraud.
    No. You don’t need to benefit financially to be convicted of fraud. He was dishonest not simply stupid.

Stupidity is not (yet) a criminal offence. If it were, the prisons would be full to bursting.
    They are. Mainly as a result of stupidity in my experience.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    RobD said:

eek said:

JohnO said:

If Johnson asked for an election in the first week of September with the intention that polling day would be early/mid October, why would seeking an extension as a condition be legitimate? If the Tories lost, then the new government would have enough time to do it themselves, which would presumably be its very first act.

Parliament takes 7 working days to be formed. No Deal requires about 3 weeks of Parliamentary time for the paperwork to be sorted even if it's just Negative Statutory instruments that are nodded through.

For things to be clear cut you really need an election by the end of September - which means an announcement next Thursday or little chance of an election...

Surely no deal requires zero days. It just happens.
    The executive can ask for an Extension before Parliament assembles.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,352
    edited July 2019
    RobD said:

eek said:

JohnO said:

If Johnson asked for an election in the first week of September with the intention that polling day would be early/mid October, why would seeking an extension as a condition be legitimate? If the Tories lost, then the new government would have enough time to do it themselves, which would presumably be its very first act.

Parliament takes 7 working days to be formed. No Deal requires about 3 weeks of Parliamentary time for the paperwork to be sorted even if it's just Negative Statutory instruments that are nodded through.

For things to be clear cut you really need an election by the end of September - which means an announcement next Thursday or little chance of an election...

And nothing will have been done to mitigate the impact, so we would have the hardest of hard landings - for instance will flights to able to take off from the UK on November 1st (it may be that UK registered planes aren't certified to land anywhere as the flag is no longer recognised)...
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

btw it's not of particular interest to anyone else but as PB is a group of people I associate with (internetically) I think you should know that I have now successfully transitioned.

Edit: sorry, I mean from iOS to Android

Do you now have a *ahem* headphone jack?
    I had an ancient iPhone so I have never been jackless.
    Likewise, it's the main reason I'm sticking with my old one :p Not sure what I'll do when it breaks.
    I'm liking the android and it is all down to OGH as he recommended a Xiao Mi poco f1 and it seems great.
    Just don't post anything negative about China. :D
    Even if it's the Wong number?
    okay that is very funny.
    Did you hear about the new mobile phone factory being planned in Newcastle?

"Huawei the lads!" exclaimed the local MP.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997

There's probably only one course of action that could save Boris but it's very high risk.

And that's on Thursday to call a General Election. Go straight for the jugular: a do-or-die Brexit mandate. Election date in early September.

He won't because like most politicians he loves the trappings of power and he thinks he's got some Churchillian destiny about him. Which will be one of a myriad reasons for his downfall.

FTPA
  • XtrainXtrain Posts: 341
    It's very liberating giving up on brand loyalty.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited July 2019
    Xtrain said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

btw it's not of particular interest to anyone else but as PB is a group of people I associate with (internetically) I think you should know that I have now successfully transitioned.

Likewise, it's the main reason I'm sticking with my old one :p Not sure what I'll do when it breaks.
    I'm liking the android and it is all down to OGH as he recommended a Xiao Mi poco f1 and it seems great.
    What did you pay?
    £259 from ebay.
    I have my Honor (Huawei) Play for about the same and very happy with it. One or two quirks, but headphone jack and excellent battery life.
    I switched to Android a few months ago...never going back to iCrap.
    I switched to Huawei P20 last year after being Apple from the beginning. Love the camera, don't have headphone jack but I got the pre order wireless Bose Headphones free promotion, which was pretty amazing!
    The screen on my AMOLED Samsung is superior to iPhones...probably because Samsung make the screens for both their own and iPhones and for unknown reason they decide to keep the latest and greatest versions of their tech just for them.

In all seriousness, Apple need to up their game. Other companies are now making just as good "ultra" laptops, better phones, and their famed rock solid build / software quality has been lacking over the past 2 years.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Bluetooth headphones.

Honestly it was like when Apple ditched the CD/DVD drive from the laptops, then everybody followed suit.
    Thing is, does the quality match wired headphones?
    Bluetooth much better, Airpods are awesome, but currently I'm using these, they are awesome, really good on the noise cancelling front.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MV6Y2ZM/A/powerbeats-pro-totally-wireless-earphones-black
    thanks I'll take a look.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475

I'd imagine that the family of Lyra McKee may disagree with you, but I daresay you're of the 'Jo Cox, move on, nothing to see here' mindset.

It does seem to occupy the thoughts of those of a less blithe outlook though.

Fears of return to Troubles

About 16,600,000 results (0.40 seconds)

And you don't have to go far into the list to see that very many of those 16,600,000 aren't about Ireland. These are the ones from 61-80 with non-Ireland pages in bold..

Northern Ireland sees its worst riots in years - Brawl on the ...

Mark Daly: 'Unionist fears must be addressed before ...

Austerity Measures In Cuba Spark Fears Of A Return To Dark ...

Fears of Returning Home | ESNblog

Anxiety, Fear, and Depression - American Cancer Society

[PDF]The Anxious Child - Mental Health Foundation

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-By-Step Program

Huawei's Many Troubles: Bans, Alleged Spies, and ... - Wired

Who's Most Vulnerable to Italy's Troubles? Europe's Banks ...

To You by Walt Whitman - Poems | Academy of American Poets

The Corner | National Review

Global fears knock FTSE, 'Boris block' boosts pound - Citywire

The Trouble With Fear | Psychology Today

The Guardian: 2019-07-18 - Unionists 'fear ... - PressReader

Understanding the Causes of Bathmophobia - Verywell Mind

What will happen to the Irish border after Brexit, when is the ...

The Trouble With Wilderness; or, Getting Back to the Wrong ...

German far right fuels Muslim 'takeover' fears – POLITICO

Thanks for correcting my loose search criteria.

Fears of return to Ireland Troubles

About 18,300,000 results (0.30 seconds)

• MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

There's probably only one course of action that could save Boris but it's very high risk.

And that's on Thursday to call a General Election. Go straight for the jugular: a do-or-die Brexit mandate. Election date in early September.

He won't because like most politicians he loves the trappings of power and he thinks he's got some Churchillian destiny about him. Which will be one of a myriad reasons for his downfall.

FTPA
    No idea why you posted that.

There's not the slightest remotest vaguest Martian chance that if Boris asks Parliament for a GE he wouldn't get it with near 100% support.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    Xtrain said:

It's very liberating giving up on bland royalty.

:innocent:
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    Can't be doing with any sort of headphones personally when I'm out, waiting for a direct neural interface via smart watch to come out.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,038
    edited July 2019

How can Boris be forced to ask for an extension if he does not want to? Parliament has no power to force him to do so against his wishes. The only thing they can do is VoNC him.

If he wants an election, Labour can impose any condition they like, and as Alastair pointed out in his article a couple of days ago, this is a rare case where naked political calculation, the national interest and democratic principle would all work together.

Alternatively, if Boris doesn't want to go down that route, then he's stuck with the parliament he's got and the sensible Tories now have a perfectly respectable, non-nuclear way of ensuring that the UK asks for an Article 50. All they now need to do is to follow the excellent example of Steve Baker, Boris, IDS, Jacob Rees-Mogg etc and vote with the opposition in what they see as the national interest, in this case to mandate that we ask for an extension. If Boris is unwilling to do this, that's not a big problem. Parliament is sovereign, it can change the rules as much as it likes and appoint someone else to deliver the message to Brussels.
    It can only appoint someone else to deliver the message by removing Boris through a VoNC. The legal power to conduct these negotiations lies with the Executive not the Legislature.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    edited July 2019

FTPA
    Corbyn wouldn’t refuse. FTPA is a useless piece of legislation, and should be binned.

Poor government borrowing figures June-on-June but a positive revision to previous months, meaning that borrowing in April and May was up c.10% but no more.

An extra £400m to the EU compared to June last year. No doubt those MPs who stopped us leaving in March will be proud of that. Going to a good cause or something.

I'd imagine that the family of Lyra McKee may disagree with you, but I daresay you're of the 'Jo Cox, move on, nothing to see here' mindset.

And you don't have to go far into the list to see that very many of those 16,600,000 aren't about Ireland. These are the ones from 61-80 with non-Ireland pages in bold..

Don’t you need to put it in quotation marks for an accurate count?
    I have a feeling these days Peston is like Uncle Vince. Specify every single option is a possibility, then you can always claim in the future told you so.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,055
    eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

JohnO said:

And nothing will have been done to mitigate the impact, so we would have the hardest of hard landings - for instance will flights to able to take off from the UK on November 1st (it may be that UK registered planes aren't certified to land anywhere as the flag is no longer recognised)...
    How about we just really really believe we are flying but stay at the airport with a virtual reality headset? Better for the environment too.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    JohnO said:

That presupposes a government could be formed quickly. If Parliament were, as currently seems entirely possible in the circumstances of such an election, very hung, that might not be the case.

It would also give Boris Johnson the opportunity to sit out 14 days in Downing Street after any vote of no confidence. That might be enough to impose no deal on the country even if that were indefensible on the basis of the election result.

So yes, it would be an entirely reasonable condition.
    RobD said:

FTPA
    Corbyn wouldn’t refuse. FTPA is a useless piece of legislation, and should be inked.
    Agreed. It has been one of the coalition's worst enactments. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Which is presumably what Cameron tells himself at night about the Referendum.
  • JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019

So just to be clear - you don't think the unionist/nationalist divide is helping to create the land of milk and honey on the island of Ireland. But the land of milk and honey will be available in Scotland if they vote for independence?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited July 2019

How can Boris be forced to ask for an extension if he does not want to? Parliament has no power to force him to do so against his wishes. The only thing they can do is VoNC him.

If he wants an election, Labour can impose any condition they like, and as Alastair pointed out in his article a couple of days ago, this is a rare case where naked political calculation, the national interest and democratic principle would all work together.

Alternatively, if Boris doesn't want to go down that route, then he's stuck with the parliament he's got and the sensible Tories now have a perfectly respectable, non-nuclear way of ensuring that the UK asks for an Article 50. All they now need to do is to follow the excellent example of Steve Baker, Boris, IDS, Jacob Rees-Mogg etc and vote with the opposition in what they see as the national interest, in this case to mandate that we ask for an extension. If Boris is unwilling to do this, that's not a big problem. Parliament is sovereign, it can change the rules as much as it likes and appoint someone else to deliver the message to Brussels.
    It can only appoint someone else to deliver the message by removing Boris through a VoNC. The legal power to conduct these negotiations lies with the Executive not the Legislature.
    You are right in your second sentence. Now consider the next question: from what body does this legal power derive?
    Beats headphones are rated as overpriced for what they are (& One of the greatest marketing succeses on the planet), so a collaboration between them and Apple is only going to appeal to a certain type of consumer I think.

FTPA

There's not the slightest remotest vaguest Martian chance that if Boris asks Parliament for a GE he wouldn't get it with near 100% support.
    Still have to go through the motions. IIRC someone here with better knowledge of the system calculated that even if he did, even if all the ducks fell into line, we'd still be looking at early October.
    RobD said:

FTPA
    Corbyn wouldn’t refuse. FTPA is a useless piece of legislation, and should be inked.
    He might only be prepared to agree on a conditional basis.
    Damn. I really thought the election was going to happen.
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

FTPA
    I seriously doubt it.
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,337
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Reselecting Chris Davies is going to look utterly idiotic a couple of Friday mornings from now.

Whatever feelings there were among local members of loyalty and that he'd been hard done by will absolutely not get across in a campaign where everyone else just has to prefix his name with "convicted fraudster".

The evidence of his recall ballot (and Onasanya's) is that enough voters are willing to give "criminal MPs" a good hard kicking, whatever the mitigation.

He is not, of course, a convicted fraudster. As the judge who sentenced him said, he did not benefit financially in any way from his actions. As the law stands that means it was stupid but it was not fraud.
    No. You don’t need to benefit financially to be convicted of fraud. He was dishonest not simply stupid.

Stupidity is not (yet) a criminal offence. If it were, the prisons would be full to bursting.
    I should imagine you'd know better than me, but the actual charges in this case.. although pointing to fraudulent behaviour with a small f.. don't appear to have fraud in the title or be under a fraud law. So while prh47 may be wrong to use financial gain as a test, I accept he's right that CD isn't a 'convicted fraudster'.

"one count of knowingly submitting a false expenses claim, and one count of attempting to knowingly submit a false expenses claim, contrary to section 10 of the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009."
  • XtrainXtrain Posts: 341

Xtrain said:

It's very liberating giving up on bland royalty.

:innocent:
    Cheeky ;)
    Pulpstar said:

Beats headphones are rated as overpriced for what they are (& One of the greatest marketing succeses on the planet), so a collaboration between them and Apple is only going to appeal to a certain type of consumer I think.

The PR / marketing they do makes Paddy Power look like amateurs.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,055

JohnO said:

That presupposes a government could be formed quickly. If Parliament were, as currently seems entirely possible in the circumstances of such an election, very hung, that might not be the case.

It would also give Boris Johnson the opportunity to sit out 14 days in Downing Street after any vote of no confidence. That might be enough to impose no deal on the country even if that were indefensible on the basis of the election result.

It presumably is also not solely a question of being reasonable. If it is unreasonable but considered tactically advantageous, the leader of the opposition (clue in the name) may well choose to be unreasonable.
    DavidL said:

Damn. I really thought the election was going to happen.
    I've moved my green over to 2020 onward, so nice to see this tweet coming from Peston.

FTPA

Still have to go through the motions. IIRC someone here with better knowledge of the system calculated that even if he did, even if all the ducks fell into line, we'd still be looking at early October.
    Not if it is called the day he gets into No 10.
    RobD said:

FTPA

Not if it is called the day he gets into No 10.
    Exactly. That's what he should do. I don't believe he will. But he should.

JohnO said:

It presumably is also not solely a question of being reasonable. If it is unreasonable but considered tactically advantageous, the leader of the opposition (clue in the name) may well choose to be unreasonable.
    There is that too. But any politician will want at least a veneer of reasonableness.

Of course, if Boris Johnson were to seek an election and find that he could only get one if he agreed to a condition that sabotaged his entire prospectus, he would look more ridiculously stuck than during his zipwire antics.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Surely that's not real?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,367

JohnO said:

There is that too. But any politician will want at least a veneer of reasonableness.

Of course, if Boris Johnson were to seek an election and find that he could only get one if he agreed to a condition that sabotaged his entire prospectus, he would look more ridiculously stuck than during his zipwire antics.
    Talking about his zipwire antics, from another PB

This time next week, it is highly likely that Boris Johnson will be Prime Minister of the UK – even after his prediction that nobody would ever "elect a prat who gets stuck on a zipwire".

One of our readers went on that same zipwire the day after that little photo opportunity. In the course of making small talk while she was being fastened into her harness, our reader made a passing joke to the two operators that she hoped she wouldn’t get stuck like Boris had – which caused the operators to roll their eyes.

They then explained that if Johnson really had got 'accidentally' stuck, then they would have had to shut the ride down immediately as it wouldn't have been safe. Confused, she asked why it had happened if it wasn't an accident, and they told her "because he asked us to do it".

She didn't get a chance to ask if it was Boris or someone from Boris's team who made the request before her descent – but she made it down the line without getting left to dangle. As did everybody else that day.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,497

JohnO said:

He'd have to go for a late abortion.

I understand he has some experience of managing those.
    edited July 2019

RobD said:

FTPA
    Agreed. It has been one of the coalition's worst enactments. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

It was probably essential given how much the LibDems, apparently other than those around Clegg, mistrusted the Conservatives. The trust the other way was pretty limited, too.
    Not sure the alternative is much better, though.
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

FTPA
    I seriously doubt it.
    Why would he not say 'Yes, but only provided you ask for an extension til 31st December'. If Boris declined that offer, Corbyn could table a VNOC and invite the other opposition parties to install him as PM for the express purpose of requesting that Extension.
    edited July 2019
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

FTPA
    I seriously doubt it.
    Why would he not say 'Yes, but only provided you ask for an extension til 31st December'. If Boris declined that offer, Corbyn could table a VNOC and invite the other opposition parties to install him as PM for the express purpose of requesting that Extension.
    Because Corbyn wants a GE, as he has said time and time again.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,038

You are right. Now consider the next question: from what body does this legal power derive?
    It derives from the Crown.

Now Parliament can of course decide to change the Constitutional arrangements but to do so would require Primary legislation passed by both Houses. I am sure that as someone who rightly opposed any idea of abusing Parliamentary process by proroguing Parliament you are not suggesting similar abuse by forcing through major constitutional change without proper consideration and debate just to achieve a particular short term political objective?
    Thomas (Last year's winner) should move into the lead in the Tour today I think so might be the last chance to get on him for Sports Personality.

Even if Stokes wins and say Hamilton finishes 2nd, you can get 14-5 on him coming in the top 3 as the each way prices right now are generous. Always a strong vote for cyclists !

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2019 - BBC SPOTY 2019 (1/5 Odds. 1,2,3 Places)
    2 line(s) at £7.15 per line
    Geraint Thomas (E/W)
    14/1
    Stake:
    £14.30
    Potential returns:
    £134.42
    edited July 2019

FTPA

If asked on Tuesday 3rd September its October 10th otherwise its the 17th. It's possible the 4th but there needs to be 25 working days before election day so I think it ends up being the 3rd otherwise its the 17th.

In all those cases with the pressing deadline it's reasonable to ask for an extension just to cover any unexpected issues...

Oh and only 1 election has been called early under the TFTP act and it had a 7 week campaign...

RobD said:

FTPA

It was probably essential given how much the LibDems, apparently other than those around Clegg, mistrusted the Conservatives. The trust the other way was pretty limited, too.

Yet more constitutional outrages from the LDs. They are the reason we are stuck with constituency borders drafted in (what seems like) the dark ages.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504
    RobD said:

RobD said:

FTPA

Yet more constitutional outrages from the LDs. They are the reason we are stuck with constituency borders drafted in (what seems like) the dark ages.
    The Tories are the reason why we are stuck with a voting system from the dark ages.
    eek said:

FTPA

If asked on Tuesday 3rd September its October 10th otherwise its the 17th.

In all those cases with the pressing deadline it's reasonable to ask for an extension just to cover any unexpected issues...
    That may be true, but the scenario we were discussing was if it was called when he stepped into No 10. It’d happen a lot sooner than the 10th October in that case.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

FTPA

Not a fan of Blair, but I wouldn't go so far as to call his premiership 'the dark ages.'

It was a duff government, not the fall of the Roman Empire.

RobD said:

FTPA

Such an odd sentiment. It seems to derive from the idea that governments should be allowed to scoop up the cards and redeal whenever life is getting too taxing for them. There's a lot to be said for giving MPs more power.
    edited July 2019
    RobD said:

eek said:

FTPA

If asked on Tuesday 3rd September its October 10th otherwise its the 17th.

That may be true, but the scenario we were discussing was if it was called when he stepped into No 10. It’d happen a lot sooner than the 10th October in that case.
    If he calls it next Thursday then there are 2 months between the election on September 5th / 12th and deadline day. Yep then no one needs an extension but Boris is going to find things difficult.

And if Boris doesn't call an election next week the first day parliament is setting is September 2nd / 3rd.. Once again that's an election in October which is late enough for things to be awkward so an slight A50 extension is justifiable..
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

FTPA
    I seriously doubt it.
    But he would still get one - having first asked for an Extension!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475

So just to be clear - you don't think the unionist/nationalist divide is helping to create the land of milk and honey on the island of Ireland. But the land of milk and honey will be available in Scotland if they vote for independence?
    It's only in binary Yoonworld that the terms of reference can solely be dystopian hellhole or land of milk and honey.

I'm aiming for better, and as long as we don't get a mass migration of NI Loyalists who no longer feel comfortable in a united Ireland pursuing their kulture of burning SF pols in effigy and daubing 'Taig' on Caflicks' houses, better is definitely attainable.
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

FTPA
    I seriously doubt it.
    And if he lost the VONC, then what?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

You use crap headphones if you think bluetooth is much better. Bluetooth is much improved, the likes of Sennheiser and Sony make some very good ones, but the quality still doesn't match high end wired ones.

It's not as simple as that though.

There are 2 components.

How well do the drivers convert the analogue signal into sound pressure waves?

How well do the A/D converters create the analogue signal from the digital data?

Wired headphones plugged into your phone are limited by the crappy converters. Bluetooth headphones have their own converters.

Wired headphones with an external DAC are currently the "best" option though.
    Betting style question -

Is anyone else looking forward to the Leadsom dividend being returned when Boris is announced the winner or have you all bought her back at 1000 ?
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

FTPA
    I seriously doubt it.
    And if he lost the VONC, then what?
    The Tory Remainers would have a problem - and any opposition MPs who failed to support it.
  • Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

RobD said:

FTPA

Such an odd sentiment. It seems to derive from the idea that governments should be allowed to scoop up the cards and redeal whenever life is getting too taxing for them. There's a lot to be said for giving MPs more power.
    ...only if we can find some way of improving the quality of the useless f*cktards...
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,582

RobD said:

FTPA

Good point. And do we really want to return to days of Gordon and his childish political games that backfire?

• Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited July 2019

Now Parliament can of course decide to change the Constitutional arrangements but to do so would require Primary legislation passed by both Houses. I am sure that as someone who rightly opposed any idea of abusing Parliamentary process by proroguing Parliament you are not suggesting similar abuse by forcing through major constitutional change without proper consideration and debate just to achieve a particular short term political objective?

I don't think that parliament exercising its sovereignty can possibly be abuse, and this wouldn't be to achieve a short-term political aim but to keep options open for parliament to consider the matter further without an artificial deadline imposed entirely by Boris trying to curry favour with a party which has gone bonkers. Anyway, the main point is not about the merits of this approach, but that it is not the case that a VONC is the only option open to parliament.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,141

You are right. Now consider the next question: from what body does this legal power derive?

You are being a little pedantic Richard. Yes technically it derives from the crown and we are all simply the Sovereign's "subjects", but in practice the constitutional monarchy does not work that way. In practice the Executive derives its delegated power through the Legislature, that is partly elected, and ludicrously, partly not. All of this should be reformed, but we have chosen to argue about one part of our constitutional settlement that needed much less reform; namely our relationship with the EU
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

FTPA

The Tories are the reason why we are stuck with a voting system from the dark ages.
    Not so. The Labour Party has long retained FPTP when it easily had the opportunity to change it
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

FTPA

They've been out of Government with minimal numbers of MPs for over four years. You might have had a point in 2014, but you don't now.
    edited July 2019

RobD said:

FTPA

Good point. And do we really want to return to days of Gordon and his childish political games that backfire?

I see nothing wrong wrong with a government going to the people to seek a mandate. And the Act itself seems to do nothing to prevent such a thing, so it seems a bit useless. My major gripe with it is nothing can be treated as a confidence issue. Had the first meaningful vote been a confidence issue, we’d probably be in a completely different situation right now.
  • Pulpstar said:

Betting style question -

Is anyone else looking forward to the Leadsom dividend being returned when Boris is announced the winner or have you all bought her back at 1000 ?

Layers are for hardcore PBers doubt you'll get much response to this. But I got a 50p cash back! on my Gove bet to give you my information.

RobD said:

FTPA

It's not 'odd.' I think most people now realise that far from strengthening MPs' hands it actually does the opposite. It has introduced constraints and some genuinely curious constitutional anomalies e.g. the 14 day cooling off period. Rather than empowering MPs through a VONC, that is no longer viewed as the inevitable downfall of a Gov't. The fixed 5-yr rule has introduced a sterility to proceedings and made MPs and the Govt in particular less, not more, accountable.
    edited July 2019

Pulpstar said:

Betting style question -

Layers are for hardcore PBers doubt you'll get much response to this. But I got a 50p cash back! on my Gove bet to give you my information.
    Yep Gove was layable after he was knocked out weirdly in the low hundreds.

Along the same vane, Hilary Clinton's price is now weirdly low in the Democrat nominations.

Real hardcore players who have no fear will be sitting with the same red on Hunt as Leadsom right now given the polls. Not for me, Hunt at zero a little while back.
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729

If you limit that search to pages since the 1st Jan 2016 it only returns 10 pages of hits.
    Scott_P said:
    Experts? EXPERTS?!! What do we need experts for?

And even for those of us saner and more intelligent than Gove, surely we don't need an expert to tell us that.
  • JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019

It's only in binary Yoonworld that the terms of reference can solely be dystopian hellhole or land of milk and honey.

I'm aiming for better, and as long as we don't get a mass migration of NI Loyalists who no longer feel comfortable in a united Ireland pursuing their kulture of burning SF pols in effigy and daubing 'Taig' on Caflicks' houses, better is definitely attainable.
    Why would loyalists move to iScot? Out of the frying pan into the fryer.

Don't worry - there will be plenty of real problems to deal with - and I seriously doubt it will be "better"
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Scott_P said:
    Jesus: we were saying this stuff on this forum months ago.
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Months? More like years.
    Scott_P said:
    Anyone who has the slightest understanding of leadership can see Boris doesn't cut it. He is, as I said earlier, a follower, and a clown to boot. You will find better leadership qualities in a primary school playground than you will find in the person of Mr Johnson, God help us.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526

Don't worry - there will be plenty of real problems to deal with - and I seriously doubt it will be "better"
    You support Brexit. Do you think it will make the UK better, worse or have no effect?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    edited July 2019

If you limit that search to pages since the 1st Jan 2016 it only returns 10 pages of hits.
    There are two sectarian-related stories on the front of the online Belfast Telegraph. Today.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,972

RobD said:

RobD said:

FTPA

They've been out of Government with minimal numbers of MPs for over four years. You might have had a point in 2014, but you don't now.
    And since the Lib Dems want to end the current system of changing boundaries and institute multi-member seats on fixed boundaries, they are especially innocent of the "outrage" alleged.

No one can say things are going well in the UK, but only the Lib Dems are demanding a change in the system... this may finally be giving them a degree of traction, especially over Labour, that have have never had before.

RobD said:

FTPA

It's not 'odd.' I think most people now realise that far from strengthening MPs' hands it actually does the opposite. It has introduced constraints and some genuinely curious constitutional anomalies e.g. the 14 day cooling off period. Rather than empowering MPs through a VONC, that is no longer viewed as the inevitable downfall of a Gov't. The fixed 5-yr rule has introduced a sterility to proceedings and made MPs and the Govt in particular less, not more, accountable.
    I agree. I don't see how any government could possibly have survived the massive defeats sustained by Mrs May in relation to her deal which was almost her entire legislative program without the FTPA. Any government before would have fallen which might have made some of the more self indugent twats who voted against it on the government side think twice.

Whether they are capable of thought or not there should have been a greater consequence of their actions than the continuation of a zombified government.

• I'd imagine that the family of Lyra McKee may disagree with you, but I daresay you're of the 'Jo Cox, move on, nothing to see here' mindset.

You support Brexit. Do you think it will make the UK better, worse or have no effect?
    I've stated I'm ambivalent on Brexit. Nobody knows if the UK will be better or worse off.

We can be pretty sure that an iScot would be worse off.
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    TOPPING said:

There are two sectarian-related stories on the front of the online Belfast Telegraph. Today.
    I'm not surprised by that, and I'm not disputing that fears of a return to the Troubles in Northern Ireland are a real, Brexit related, thing. But claiming that 16,600,000 or 18,300,000 hits on vague google searches are an indication of that is pretty dumb.

I've stated I'm ambivalent on Brexit. Nobody knows if the UK will be better or worse off.

Under what form of Brexit could the UK be better off?

• I'd imagine that the family of Lyra McKee may disagree with you, but I daresay you're of the 'Jo Cox, move on, nothing to see here' mindset.

Soft Brexit/Hard Brexit/No Deal Brexit.

If it caused the collapse of the EU and individual member states struck deals with us, but not each other.

Also if pigs learn to fly.

RobD said:

FTPA

There surely has to be a middle way, between letting the PM toddle off to see HM whenever s/he wants to, and requiring parliament to do what it was elected to do; manage the affairs of the nation for a specified period.

"nobody knows"? Well unless one follows the moronic "had enough of experts" mantra, or ignores the vast swathes of opinion from economists, the CBI, the TUC etc. it is very difficult to say that there are not very strong indicators FFS! You could apply the same lack of logic to Scottish independence. The balance of probability is that Scotland will be considerably worse off, certainly for a while, but, then, no-one "knows"!
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    There are some bright, and even competent AND bright, people on this forum.
    ydoethur said:

If it caused the collapse of the EU and individual member states struck deals with us, but not each other.

Mark Francois may well have his private pilots licence
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,972
    "Mummy, mummy, why is that toothpa..."
    "Shut up, Felicia"
    "Bbbut why is that tooth.."
    "SHUT UP FELICIA!!!!"
  • Nigelforemain-

We'll be saving 350 mil p/w(gross) for a start - So I guess you're right -I'm being too cautious - We'll be better off.
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

FTPA

I agree. I don't see how any government could possibly have survived the massive defeats sustained by Mrs May in relation to her deal which was almost her entire legislative program without the FTPA. Any government before would have fallen which might have made some of the more self indugent twats who voted against it on the government side think twice.

Whether they are capable of thought or not there should have been a greater consequence of their actions than the continuation of a zombified government.
    Both of you regret that the government didn't have additional power to bludgeon MPs into submission. Your complaint is about the poor quality of MPs, not the balance of power.

ydoethur said:

Mark Francois may well have his private pilots (sic) licence
    Unfair to pigs (and missing an apostrophe).

Great so let’s have a No Deal Brexit. It could strengthen the union and give you what you want.

Nigelforemain-

We'll be saving 350 mil p/w(gross) for a start - So I guess you're right -I'm being too cautious - We'll be better off.

What's the net figure?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited July 2019

Within three mins who knows if we are going to be better off or not after brexit to any form of brexit will make us better off!
  • eek said:

Nigelforemain-

What's the net figure?
    It's about 250 mil p/w isn't it ?
This discussion has been closed.