Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden drops to second place in California while his lead’s dow

Comments

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    rcs1000 said:

Bojo fair clear he supports an indefinite transition until such time as "other measures" are available in Ni

Well, I can see the EU going for that. But it's massively less Brexit than the previous Withdrawal Agreement, so why would Francois and Baker go for it?

(I can see why the DUP might.)
    I have been saying this will happen for a couple of weeks now. Like you I think the EU will greedily bite his hand off when he offers it.

We declare brexit, but UK and EU avoid the horrors of no deal by just carry on talking with nothing much actually happened.

It looks like a complete win for Boris on Brexit, the only difficulty I can see for Boris with this plan, and genuine pressure on him from BP and ERG is money, the fact we will still be paying it or some of it for the no immediate change element, however that only becomes real pressure the longer it goes on without agreement moving on the position.

The real loss in this scenario is on the EU side, after all the sticking heels in on their agreement with May, and the fact that destroyed her, they will then move for Boris. But they are already paving the way to this outcome with the “but that agreement was all about the red lines the British insisted we negotiate within” which we have heard this week, havn’t we?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,651
    dr_spyn said:

You can understand his objection - he has a thing for rancid kippers.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Boris pledges magic money raising tax cuts

Voodoo Economics!

Boris is an optimist, personally, I think he is a complete idiot. I cannot understand his appeal to people. I don't think he will be making anyone laugh after a few weeks of his incompetence...
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    TOPPING said:

We discussed this some time ago on PB. No deal brexit means the National herd gets it.

As we all know that farm animals do not exist outside of the EU.

Do Remainers realise how stupid they sound?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Zephyr said:

rcs1000 said:

Bojo fair clear he supports an indefinite transition until such time as "other measures" are available in Ni

Well, I can see the EU going for that. But it's massively less Brexit than the previous Withdrawal Agreement, so why would Francois and Baker go for it?

I have been saying this will happen for a couple of weeks now. Like you I think the EU will greedily bite his hand off when he offers it.

We declare brexit, but UK and EU avoid the horrors of no deal by just carry on talking with nothing much actually happened.

It looks like a complete win for Boris on Brexit, the only difficulty I can see for Boris with this plan, and genuine pressure on him from BP and ERG is money, the fact we will still be paying it or some of it for the no immediate change element, however that only becomes real pressure the longer it goes on without agreement moving on the position.

The real loss in this scenario is on the EU side, after all the sticking heels in on their agreement with May, and the fact that destroyed her, they will then move for Boris. But they are already paving the way to this outcome with the “but that agreement was all about the red lines the British insisted we negotiate within” which we have heard this week, havn’t we?
    Transition, to all intents and purposes, is the EEA, replete with Freedom of Movemement.

So we're in a perpetual EEA state with the EU, with no fixed time for leaving it. And negotiations will never actually be finished because there's no deadline.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

Not really. Someone trawls the archive to get the mails. An ex- minister with good journalistic contacts and with a reputation for leaking is a good conduit or source of advice as to how one might go around getting such stuff into the hands of a journalist.

He has reason to get his revenge on the civil service and Mrs May. He has reason to help Boris. He is now, apparently, in line for a plum position in government. If Boris is PM the chances of any action being taken against him are low. Boris gets deniability but gets the benefit of such a leak. The Brexiteers are delighted. Gavin gets his revenge.

Not that implausible.
    Do you think the leak benefited Boris? I don't see how. It embarrassed him, brought the video of him saying similar back to the fore, put him under the spot and cross-examination regarding backing Darroch.

Considering Boris's strategy to date was to play it smart and not rock the horses, that was more like lighting a stick of dynamite and chucking it at the horses to see how they run. Made no sense whatsoever with his strategy.
    Yes, I do think it benefited Boris. He knew he was highly likely to win. And it opens up a plum position for someone more to the liking of the Brexiteers/pro-US gang. The fuss about the emails and his answer is a three-day wonder. The long-term benefits of having his man in Washington are more long-lasting.

That doesn't mean he was behind it or knew about it. But it may have been the calculation of whoever did do it or encouraged it.
    But the Ambassador was due to retire at the end of the year anyway, so Boris was always going to pick his successor.
    True. But if you're in a hurry - see the reports of Boris wanting a quick win with the US on trade - then not getting someone in place until January 2020 is a long time to wait.

I can't see how a US trade deal would get through Parliament.

No LibDem, SNP or Labour MP would back it because of "the NHS". And rural Coneservative MPs are going to hate it too.

Or am I missing something?
    Won’t get through Westminster.

Won’t get through US Senate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/no-chance-of-us-deal-if-brexit-leads-to-hard-border-1.3835621?mode=amp
    I get the US Senate point but, geniune question, do UK trade agreements have to be passed by Westminster?

(It's so long since we've done one, can anyone remember?)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Zephyr said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a much better deal for the EU then the backstop compromise that May forced out of them, under which there would have been an end to payments from the UK and free movement and yet the UK would still have retained full freedom to trade goods within the EU - splitting the famous four freedoms.

I personally think that it's a better deal for the UK too - so the only losers are the Leavers who argue for a more distant relationship with the EU. I'll promise not to point it out too often if they will vote for it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,330
    edited July 2019
    Viceroy said:

TOPPING said:

We discussed this some time ago on PB. No deal brexit means the National herd gets it.

And you evidently do not understand how the global tariff system works.

If you’re going to troll then at least do your homework. Or look at the pictures if that’s too taxing.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

I get the US Senate point but, geniune question, do UK trade agreements have to be passed by Westminster?

Well, any trade agreement with the US would require an ISDS capable of overruling Westminster, so I can't see how we could avoid Parliament ratifying it.
  • Options
    Viceroy said:

TOPPING said:

Stupidity is subjective, do Brexiteers realise how stupid the rest of the population think they are still wanting Brexit given the sunlit uplands have transitioned into a deep swamp?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Lambs to the slaughter for the death cult Leavers.

If you are a meat eater by definition most lambs will be raised for your consumption, if you are a vegetarian they will not be and indeed most would probably never be raised at all if all followed your lead, whether a Lamb is slaughtered in the UK post No Deal Brexit or slaughtered in the UK and eaten in France or Germany or sent outside the EU to New Zealand or the US to be eaten the lamb is still facing the same fate regardless
    Ah, the Marie Antoinette approach: let them eat lamb.

I suspect the sheep pyres would be a more doleful sight on television.
    As I said earlier, Boris will spin it as a Brexit hecatomb.

‘A necessary sacrifice...’
    I’m just glad I’ve got plenty of mint in the garden.
    I've heard it runs absolubtely riot if planted into soil outwith a pot !
    Never ever plant mint directly into the ground. It's an absolute thug of a plant and will take over. Always in a pot.
    I once planted mint in an old wooden drawer outside, but the roots escaped and it made its way into the soil. Madly impressive.
    Eucalyptus does the same thing. Never ever plant it near foundations or drains.

And daffodil bulbs and others will push up brick paving if the latter is not laid properly. Nature is a fearsome thing.
    Willows too.

We had a willow in our front garden in Yorkshire which manged to get its roots into our drain, sceptic tank, and through the concrete wall lining our pond. We only realised when we started to see the roots emerging from crack in the wall underwater.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466

Viceroy said:

TOPPING said:

Stupidity is subjective, do Brexiteers realise how stupid the rest of the population think they are still wanting Brexit given the sunlit uplands have transitioned into a deep swamp?
    Oh, have we left?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    Nigelb said:

Boris: Trump's language unacceptable, but I wouldn't use that word ('racist')

‘Cos it’s too close to home ?

Of course it was effing racist.
    Yes. It's as bad as people using the word "inappropriate" instead of the word "wrong". A particular bugbear of mine.

Johnson is just..... yuck..... on every level.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well, any trade agreement with the US would require an ISDS capable of overruling Westminster, so I can't see how we could avoid Parliament ratifying it.
    Fair point.

Will Leavers be filing that ISDS under the 'taking back control' heading?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Yes. It's as bad as people using the word "inappropriate" instead of the word "wrong". A particular bugbear of mine.

Add to which: apologising "...for any offence caused".

Just apologise ffs!

(Not you @Cyclefree, obvs!)
  • Options

Viceroy said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, have we left?
    No but we can all see the swamp ahead. Sunlit uplands? - not so much.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

rcs1000 said:

Fair point.

Will Leavers be filing that ISDS under the 'taking back control' heading?
    Within the Trump Admin there seems to be at the very least a questioning of as to whether the ISDS is beneficial to the US. Lighthizer made some comments to a senate committee. Basically they think that robust ISDS stops foreign investment in the US and so costs the US jobs because the investment goes to another country that then exports the goods to the US.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Viceroy said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, have we left?
    No but we can all see the swamp ahead. Sunlit uplands? - not so much.
    Tbf, the uplands may be sunlit. There won't be flocks of sheep getting in the way.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Nigelb said:

dr_spyn said:

"We sea Brexit as an opportunity. Carp-e diem. Let us turbotcharge the economy..." (cont p94)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,330

Viceroy said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, have we left?
    We haven’t left and the way you can tell is because you don’t yet get a free leg of lamb with every copy of the Daily Telegraph you buy.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

If I caused offence grates...if you didn't then why are you apologising?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Every Prime Minister in living memory has come to the office with a certain amount of goodwill, is seen by many as a refreshing change to his/ her predecessor - benefits from that honeymoon period, even if it's been quite short for one or two recently. But now for the first time, we're going to have a PM who is utterly loathed by a majority of the population from day one. That fact in itself does not augur well.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

eek said:

eek said:
    Gove also said after we voted to Leave we’d hold all the aces.

Gove is usually wrong on Brexit or has he started using again?
    Note - he doesn't say where Jenny's statement is wrong. It might be that it's not 9m but 17.4m
    Yes. The right thing for Michael to do is not go on a rude trump type attack, but explain the inaccuracy by explaining what the no deal plan is for sheep.
    I think he was attempting a pun.

But as he is not very bright he bombed baaadly.
    No need to ram it down our throats.
    Ewe asked. I remain the tup punner.
    I know you enjoy the punning limelight, but there's no need to hogget all.
    That's a pig to respond to. Sow I shan't attempt to.
    If you're going to branch out into other farmyard animals, I shall have to cry technical fowl.
    Behave. There is a serious point here. With these rumours flying around there are a lot of worried sheep out there this evening. Gove knows what the no deal plan is for the sheep, what is the problem making public that part of the plan and putting the worried sheep to bed? It’s a darn smarter leadership than being rude to people misrepresenting the plan and not clarifying it. Come on Michael, you can stop all tonight’s sheep worrying.
    I'm disappointed you missed the chance to write 'dam smarter leadership...'
    Still hogging the pun stream, I see.
    Indeed yes. Should I feel sheepish?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Tabman said:

HYUFD said:

Tabman said:

HYUFD said:

Tabman said:

Lads it’s on.

Full blown constitutional crisis this year, maybe even next week.

Wha'ppen?
    So I reckon there’s at least six Tories that will VONC the government to stop No Deal and I think that number will rise.

Boris needs to tell the Commons he will not prorogue Parliament to deliver a No Deal Brexit.
    Boris will of course not say that and see mass defections of Tory Leave voters to the Brexit Party, if any Tory MPs refuse to back Brexit Deal or No Deal on October 31st as Boris will get a mandate for from Tory members next week then they can join the LDs before they are deselected
    How many new MPs can we expect?
    Up to 30, a new pro Boris Tory candidate for every MP who votes against an October 31st Brexit Deal or No Deal
    You think 30 current Tory MPs should join the lib Dems?
    Getting rid of the chaff. The Conservative Party will be down to a pure core of both MPs and members before you know it. Sadly, that number won't include @HYUFD who, as a Remainer, will be excluded from that band of brothers.
    He's like the PB version of Owen Jones, desperately trying to make up for not being part of the cult at the beginning.
    Classic Stockholm Syndrome. But he is by his own description in the wrong party.
    For a Tory, HY spends an awful lot of time and energy bigging up the Brexit Party.

Someone needs to gently point out that the Brexit Party are opponents of the Conservative Party, not best buddies.
    I fear that the Conservatives see their former supporters over with the BXP as the wife and children having taken a temporary break, more like a holiday really. In ten years time they will wake up and notice that they are living in a bedsit over a flower shop eating beans out of a can.

(Similar can probably be applied to those who have left LibDemwards.)
    Scottish Labour are in the same state of denial. Kirk Van Houten syndrome.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

Oh, I know. Why does no-one know how to bloody apologise these days?!

Just repeat after me: "I am sorry." Then shut up.

Apologising for any offence caused is just a passive-aggressive way of pretending to apologise while doing no such thing.

Time to give this one - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/11/06/the-pb-cynics-dictionary-especially-complied-for-the-times/ - another airing I think.
    Rather prescient in some respects; note the reference to whistleblowing, for instance.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Every Prime Minister in living memory has come to the office with a certain amount of goodwill, is seen by many as a refreshing change to his/ her predecessor - benefits from that honeymoon period, even if it's been quite short for one or two recently. But now for the first time, we're going to have a PM who is utterly loathed by a majority of the population from day one. That fact in itself does not augur well.
    Not true. Macdonald was more widely loathed than Johnson. So much so that senior Tories seriously canvassed a coup to keep him out of power.

That questioner on education needs to go easier on the drugs.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Not true. Macdonald was more widely loathed than Johnson. So much so that senior Tories seriously canvassed a coup to keep him out of power.

Not too many of us with a 'living memory' of that. JackW perhaps ...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

Apologising for any offence caused is just a passive-aggressive way of pretending to apologise while doing no such thing.

Time to give this one - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/11/06/the-pb-cynics-dictionary-especially-complied-for-the-times/ - another airing I think.
    Rather prescient in some respects; note the reference to whistleblowing, for instance.
    Ah yes - I must have missed that 1st time around. Most of your list is perceptive and well-said but...

...I can't agree with you on 'Addiction'; no one chooses to be an addict imo, whereas bad behaviour is always a choice. Sorry to be po-faced on that one.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

You’re obviously unfamiliar with Scottish politics. Goodwill towards PMs in London is usually nil from day one. Honeymoons are non-existent (Broon excepted). Utter loathing of upper-class twits is bog standard.

Maybe England is becoming jockified.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

eek said:

eek said:

Note - he doesn't say where Jenny's statement is wrong. It might be that it's not 9m but 17.4m
    Yes. The right thing for Michael to do is not go on a rude trump type attack, but explain the inaccuracy by explaining what the no deal plan is for sheep.

If you're going to branch out into other farmyard animals, I shall have to cry technical fowl.
    Behave. There is a serious point here. With these rumours flying around there are a lot of worried sheep out there this evening. Gove knows what the no deal plan is for the sheep, what is the problem making public that part of the plan and putting the worried sheep to bed? It’s a darn smarter leadership than being rude to people misrepresenting the plan and not clarifying it. Come on Michael, you can stop all tonight’s sheep worrying.
    Wether or not is up to ewe, of course.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Not too many of us with a 'living memory' of that. JackW perhaps ...
    Hmm - I didn't automatically assume 'for the first time' still meant 'within living memory.' I'll allow it though.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

http://www.basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2007/2/25/how-to-apologize-without-accepting-any-blame.html
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

eek said:

eek said:

I was just trying to ram a point home.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

You’re obviously unfamiliar with Scottish politics. Goodwill towards PMs in London is usually nil from day one. Honeymoons are non-existent (Broon excepted). Utter loathing of upper-class twits is bog standard.

We could do a lot worse than take a lesson or two from north of the border.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

And also behaviour is wrong regardless of whether offence is caused. The wrongness of behaviour does not depend on the reaction of the victim.

When I am dictatrix of this blessed isle, as well as nudging people into not turning their coffee into Ovaltine, I will tell people in no uncertain terms that the words "right" and "wrong" are very useful words and concepts and euphemisms like "unacceptable" and "inappropriate" are not substitutes.

Clear blunt speaking is needed. Eg Trump is a racist arse. Johnson is a superficial fool whose mental and emotional age got stuck at 14. And so on.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

Though Trump never has, and never will apologise for anything.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

English voters loathing Scottish PM. A pattern?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

But they continue to lionise Salmond and Sturgeon? Not so much a honeymoon as a full-on marriage.

Does Salmond still show off his SNPness on RT?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    @SandyRentool

Made a quick out and back to Sheffield today to do the new "tram-train" service along the new chord from Meadowhall South to the mainline at Rotherham Central and then on into the new tram terminus at Parkgate :)
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Yet they were happy to serve under him in a notionally National Government for nearly six years!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

Ah yes - I must have missed that 1st time around. Most of your list is perceptive and well-said but...

...I can't agree with you on 'Addiction'; no one chooses to be an addict imo, whereas bad behaviour is always a choice. Sorry to be po-faced on that one.
    I was poking fun at those who pretend that the bad behaviour they have chosen is an "addiction" not those who are genuinely addicted. I.e. men who feel up women or assault them and then claim that they are "addicted" to sex or ill when the reality is that they are dirty old men with no manners or sense of decency.

Sorry to be po-faced back. :)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dr_spyn said:

"Smoke me a kipper! I'll be back for breakfast!"

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

And also behaviour is wrong regardless of whether offence is caused. The wrongness of behaviour does not depend on the reaction of the victim.

When I am dictatrix of this blessed isle, as well as nudging people into not turning their coffee into Ovaltine, I will tell people in no uncertain terms that the words "right" and "wrong" are very useful words and concepts and euphemisms like "unacceptable" and "inappropriate" are not substitutes.

Clear blunt speaking is needed. Eg Trump is a racist arse. Johnson is a superficial fool whose mental and emotional age got stuck at 14. And so on.
    The coffee remark was gratuitous.

But otherwise, spot on.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Animal_pb said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

eek said:

eek said:

I was just trying to ram a point home.
    Bah!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Yet they were happy to serve under him in a notionally National Government for nearly six years!
    Seven years later, when he had abandoned almost all his previous positions (and I think you will find it was four years - 1931-35).

People can change their views. You were happy to support Labour until Blair came along.

In the case of Macdonald, he was also fairly astutely used by Baldwin as a human shield for unpalatable financial and social measures - e.g. the means test - that if he had brought in would have caused rioting.

And finally, by 1933 he was pretty well incapable of functioning anyway due to dementia.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Macdonald ended up being despised by his own party. I am not aware that Douglas-Home, Campbell-Bannerman and Balfour were particularly loathed.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

But otherwise, spot on.
    All coffee is gratuitous. When I become dictator, we shall all drink hot chocolate.

And on that note, good night.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Seven years later, when he had abandoned almost all his previous positions (and I think you will find it was four years - 1931-35).

People can change their views. You were happy to support Labour until Blair came along.

In the case of Macdonald, he was also fairly astutely used by Baldwin as a human shield for unpalatable financial and social measures - e.g. the means test - that if he had brought in would have caused rioting.

And finally, by 1933 he was pretty well incapable of functioning anyway due to dementia.
    It was indeed nearly four years - after which he swapped with Baldwin to become Lord President of the Council.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

But otherwise, spot on.
    I was being mischievous and teasing you. :)
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    A lot of the population want Bozo to fail . I detest him however .

If miraculously he manages a deal I’ll be the first to come on here and hold my hands up to say I was wrong .

The one thing I will say about him is he’d manage to proclaim the smallest concession from the EU as a great victory and I think many Tory Leavers would go along with it .

The reason being , so far the excuse is May wasn’t a true believer . If a so called believer still can’t make Brexit work then it might start dawning on people that Brexit itself might be the problem !
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

@SandyRentool

Made a quick out and back to Sheffield today to do the new "tram-train" service along the new chord from Meadowhall South to the mainline at Rotherham Central and then on into the new tram terminus at Parkgate :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuj_bTMoAqs
  • Options
    Next week we will lose this man - making a serious point about the spread of ebola in Africa -

Arguing in the House of Commons today that we must be serious as a nation - and in particular at the moment - serious about the Ebola response. pic.twitter.com/yYjgGRUpw9

— Rory Stewart (@RoryStewartUK) July 17, 2019
    and get a man who waves a kipper around during a speech instead.

It makes me want to weep with rage.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    edited July 2019
    I have just returned from Manchestsr Airport having picked up my son , his partner, and two of our grandchildren from their holiday flight

However, I must recount this extraordinary tale.

While waiting at Terminal 3 arrivals I observed several people using the car park pay machine. One of these was a lady with her husband/partner who was seeking assistance from the help phone. No one answered and a queue formed. The lady did not seem to know where to put in her parking token and I stepped forward to show her the slot to which she put in her token. Seconds later the fee came into view causing a gasp of horror from the lady and activating the camera phones from various people in the queue. The reason was the price displayed.

£675,000 yes six hundred and seventy five thousand pounds

She explained that she had booked their holiday with Thomas Cook who had arranged for a meet and greet service which did not turn up. She alleged Thomas Cook had told her to just leave her car in the car park. She disappeared for some time after the charge showed and returned with various pieces of paper, no doubt explaining the fee and the appeal process.

The obvious lessons in this is not to leave your car in the absence of meet and greet representatives taking it from you, and parking machine can make extraordinary errors
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Following his feet of clay performance at the first debate, the 'inevitability' of Biden's candidacy disappeared in a flash. There are 11 debates left.

If he has another sub-par performance at the next one in a couple of weeks, he could be toast.

Regardless I feel he is not going to be the eventual candidate. He is spending far too much time explaining, apologizing, and defending his 40 year political record.
  • Options

@SandyRentool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuj_bTMoAqs
    That's the one!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

I have just returned from Manchestsr Airport having picked up my son , his partner, and two of our grandchildren from their holiday flight

While waiting at Terminal 3 arrivals I observed several people using the car park pay machine. One of these was a lady with her husband/partner who was seeking assistance from the help phone. No one answered and a queue formed. The lady did not seem to know where to put in her parking token and I stepped forward to show her the slot to which she put in her token. Seconds later the fee came into view causing a gasp of horror from the lady and activating the camera phones from various people in the queue. The reason was the price displayed.

She explained that she had booked their holiday with Thomas Cook who had arranged for a meet and greet service which did not turn up. She alleged Thomas Cook had told her to just leave her car in the car park. She disappeared for some time after the charge showed and returned with various pieces of paper, no doubt explaining the fee and the appeal process.

The obvious lessons in this is not to leave your car in the absence of meet and greet representatives taking it from you, and parking machine can make extraordinary errors

My word :o Did she manage to get her car out?
  • Options

Or you can just use the train or tram to Manchester Airport.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Next week we will lose this man - making a serious point about the spread of ebola in Africa -

Arguing in the House of Commons today that we must be serious as a nation - and in particular at the moment - serious about the Ebola response. pic.twitter.com/yYjgGRUpw9

Rory was very good today but Boris did surprise me on the upside with his pro diversity and pro entreprenuers attitude. I have not voted for him, and have very low expectations, but he did say he would not deal with Farage and he will take chunks out of Corbyn; also he may just get Brexit over the line

The point about the kipper and ice brace was well made and is a nonsense regulation
  • Options
    RobD said:

I have no idea but she/they were very flustered
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    nico67 said:

If miraculously he manages a deal I’ll be the first to come on here and hold my hands up to say I was wrong .

The one thing I will say about him is he’d manage to proclaim the smallest concession from the EU as a great victory and I think many Tory Leavers would go along with it .

The reason being , so far the excuse is May wasn’t a true believer . If a so called believer still can’t make Brexit work then it might start dawning on people that Brexit itself might be the problem !

Nixon in China.

The Brexiters will only stomach being sold out by one of their own.

Just a shame that Bozo isn’t that.
  • Options

RobD said:

What's the parking daily charge?
  • Options

I wonder if the others with the mobiles have sold the story to a newspaper? I doubt you would but they might! Interesting story all the same. Watch the Daily Mail etc for it!
  • Options

Indeed but not taken on board by many. I drove all 5 floors in the short stay car park and not one space available. In the end I waited patiently on the top floor (5) and eventually one person came and took his car away providing one space for me with cars queuing behind me.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

RobD said:

I'm guessing its a short-term car park that charges per half hour or something like that, but still that's insane.
  • Options

RobD said:

Must have been a few weeks at an extortionate hourly rate surely?
  • Options

RobD said:

I paid £10 for two hours but I think it is £40
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Cyclefree said:

Rory was very good today but Boris did surprise me on the upside with his pro diversity and pro entreprenuers attitude. I have not voted for him, and have very low expectations, but he did say he would not deal with Farage and he will take chunks out of Corbyn; also he may just get Brexit over the line

The point about the kipper and ice brace was well made and is a nonsense regulation

In response to @Big_G_NorthWales:-

Sorry but no: the kipper point is a pathetic one. Leave the EU to avoid sending fish in a way which does not make it rot and smell. It's an unbelievably trivial and frivolous way of approaching an important subject. Just about good enough for a column but no way for a potential PM to think about a policy which could destroy or seriously harm many sectors in this country.

Your beloved Tory party is no longer a serious party, I'm sorry to say. It has become frivolous, unserious, contemptuous of others and self-indulgent. And a menace to good governance in this country.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited July 2019

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Lambs to the slaughter for the death cult Leavers.

If you are a meat eater by definition most lambs will be raised for your consumption, if you are a vegetarian they will not be and indeed most would probably never be raised at all if all followed your lead, whether a Lamb is slaughtered in the UK post No Deal Brexit or slaughtered in the UK and eaten in France or Germany or sent outside the EU to New Zealand or the US to be eaten the lamb is still facing the same fate regardless
    Ah, the Marie Antoinette approach: let them eat lamb.

I suspect the sheep pyres would be a more doleful sight on television.
    As I said earlier, Boris will spin it as a Brexit hecatomb.

‘A necessary sacrifice...’
    I’m just glad I’ve got plenty of mint in the garden.
    I've heard it runs absolubtely riot if planted into soil outwith a pot !
    Never ever plant mint directly into the ground. It's an absolute thug of a plant and will take over. Always in a pot.
    I once planted mint in an old wooden drawer outside, but the roots escaped and it made its way into the soil. Madly impressive.
    Eucalyptus does the same thing. Never ever plant it near foundations or drains.

And daffodil bulbs and others will push up brick paving if the latter is not laid properly. Nature is a fearsome thing.
    Willows too.

We had a willow in our front garden in Yorkshire which manged to get its roots into our drain, sceptic tank, and through the concrete wall lining our pond. We only realised when we started to see the roots emerging from crack in the wall underwater.
    Did it make you weep?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

RobD said:

Unless there's a malfunction then it would take 44 years to get that fee.

Then again even at £5 per hour it would take nearly 15 years so I'm assuming some malfunction.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

I wonder if the others with the mobiles have sold the story to a newspaper? I doubt you would but they might! Interesting story all the same. Watch the Daily Mail etc for it!
    I did not think of that one to be honest but while the most I intend doing is sharing it with my fellow *posters someone else may see an opportunity

*quick edit !!!!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited July 2019
    Just coming back from the London Hustings at the Excel centre.

Boris gave his usual tour de force full of bravado and optimism about infrastructure and technology as well as post Brexit Britain plus his usual quips and jokes (including a brilliant one featuring a kipper complete with prop). As usual Boris committed to deliver Brexit on October 31st and beat Corbyn, however he ruled out a pact with the Brexit Party despite Farage being a former drinking companion. Both he and Hunt wanted to remove the backstop but both also promised to prevent a hard border in Ireland.

Hunt also had some good ideas about social care and young people and was smooth as usual.

One thing I certainly felt was both would be miles better than Corbyn and Boris Leader and Hunt Deputy would be an ideal combination
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Let’s hope his pledge this week of an extra £50m funding is honoured by whoever it is that takes his post.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

True, but I overheard a conductor telling a woman who had not planned for extra time between the train arrival at the airport and flight departure being told the train services between a city centre and an airport had been suspended and so she was panicked as it was rush hour and a taxi would not get her to the airport on time.

I tend to catch Trains to airports all the same!
  • Options

I've spent that much in hospital car parking fees recently!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

Nixon in China.

That might be true but Brexiters are so heavily invested in him that they’ll filter out the bits they don’t like .

For them Bozo has to succeed even if he doesn’t ! May overcompensated from the start to show her Brexit credentials .

If anyone can dupe Leavers into thinking they got a great deal then Bozo can and that really is the only crumb of comfort .

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

[snip]

One thing I certainly felt was both would be miles better than Corbyn ...

There was a time - not very long ago, actually - when the Conservative Party had higher aspirations than being better than a has-been, anti-Semitic, economically illiterate, terrorist-sympathising, manifestly incompetent far-left extremist.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Both he and Hunt wanted to remove the backstop but both also promised to prevent a hard border in Ireland.

Did they say how?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Blair was born in Edinburgh, Cameron comes from a Scottish family, both won majorities in England
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Both he and Hunt wanted to remove the backstop but both also promised to prevent a hard border in Ireland.

Did they say how?
    Don't be facetious.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Cyclefree said:

Are you really sure there is such a regulation Big_G?

Seems to conflict with this from Parcelforce:

"Packages of fish should be smoked or chilled, and sealed in vacuum packs before sending. In all cases they must be enclosed in adequate polystyrene containment to prevent contamination."... "Frozen water and dry ice are prohibited. "

https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/prohibitions-and-restrictions
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

Nixon in China.

That might be true but Brexiters are so heavily invested in him that they’ll filter out the bits they don’t like .

For them Bozo has to succeed even if he doesn’t ! May overcompensated from the start to show her Brexit credentials .

If anyone can dupe Leavers into thinking they got a great deal then Bozo can and that really is the only crumb of comfort .

Brexiteers are not invested in BoJo. BoJo gets this job because of Tory MPs and Party members.

The vast majority of leavers will support BoJo at the ballot box or not depending on his actions and results if he gets the job. BoJo and Hunt both seem to understand this.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

Nixon in China.

Maybe future generations will write an opera about it? Or maybe not.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,999
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

But they continue to lionise Salmond and Sturgeon? Not so much a honeymoon as a full-on marriage.

Salmond was a brilliant politician and great FM of Scotland, sorely missed.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The Isle of Man is not in the EU, is it?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In response to @Big_G_NorthWales:-

Sorry but no: the kipper point is a pathetic one. Leave the EU to avoid sending fish in a way which does not make it rot and smell. It's an unbelievably trivial and frivolous way of approaching an important subject. Just about good enough for a column but no way for a potential PM to think about a policy which could destroy or seriously harm many sectors in this country.

Your beloved Tory party is no longer a serious party, I'm sorry to say. It has become frivolous, unserious, contemptuous of others and self-indulgent. And a menace to good governance in this country.

I do accept your comments as I have great respect for your views.

The ERG in my party are appalling but as much as I have doubts on Boris, the alternatives of Farage or Corbyn are far worse

Also Brussels do make stupid laws from time to time. The EU is far from perfect
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Did they say how?
    Don't be facetious.
    I do apologise for my most inconvenient question. I do hope it hasn't caused offence. I realise now that asking politicians to come up with an answer or a plan for how they intend to achieve things is an absolute impertinence which a mere voter should try and avoid.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris gave his usual tour de force full of bravado and optimism about infrastructure and technology as well as post Brexit Britain plus his usual quips and jokes (including a brilliant one featuring a kipper complete with prop). As usual Boris committed to deliver Brexit on October 31st and beat Corbyn, however he ruled out a pact with the Brexit Party despite Farage being a former drinking companion. Both he and Hunt wanted to remove the backstop but both also promised to prevent a hard border in Ireland.

Hunt also had some good ideas about social care and young people and was smooth as usual.

One thing I certainly felt was both would be miles better than Corbyn and Boris Leader and Hunt Deputy would be an ideal combination

How many times did the audience laugh? You do realise that in contrast to IDS who had the amount of times the audience gave standing ovations as leader, Boris will be judged by how many times he can make the audience laugh? People are actually voting for the idiot because "he makes them laugh", not his stoicism in getting a deal or optimism to the point of stupidity.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I think it is likely now that the Democrats will prefer the small chance of beating Trump with Harris and Warren to the strong chance of beating Trump with Biden

Did you see my proposal on the last but one thread? I suggested how we can test your hypothesis with science, and even offered to pay for it.
    If you somehow believe a poll you pay for will disprove every other poll (including those taken after the first Democratic debates where Harris and Warren got plenty of coverage) and show Harris and Warren trouncing Trump but Trump trouncing Biden, be my guest and do one!
    Firstly, the whole point is that you and I would both work together to create the poll. The goal isn't for one of us to be proven right, the goal is to find out the truth.

Secondly, the hypothesis that we're testing is about how people feel about Biden relative to other candidates once they are exposed to them via watching a 30 second video clip. Can you think of a better way to understand how people will react to the candidates once they know them better?

At the end of the day either you are a centrist like Biden with a rustbelt background from Scranton able to take on Trump in the key rustbelt and Midwest swing states or you are not but a left liberal from a wealthy coastal state, no matter how brilliant your TV package
    Trump is an out-and-out member of the coastal elite who beat a centrist with a background in Illinois and Arkansas last time. The theory that being from a wealthy coastal state dooms you in the rustbelt is disproven by 2016.
    Hillary was Senator from New York but she did win the popular vote, however she lacks the folksy appeal of Biden
  • Options

RobD said:

Unless there's a malfunction then it would take 44 years to get that fee.

Then again even at £5 per hour it would take nearly 15 years so I'm assuming some malfunction.
    It has to be but the process of disputing it and agreeing the correct price is the last thing you want on returning from holiday
  • Options

HYUFD said:

[snip]

There was a time - not very long ago, actually - when the Conservative Party had higher aspirations than being better than a has-been, anti-Semitic, economically illiterate, terrorist-sympathising, manifestly incompetent far-left extremist.
    Well if they don't deliver Brexit that or PM Farage may be the result
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,989

True, but I overheard a conductor telling a woman who had not planned for extra time between the train arrival at the airport and flight departure being told the train services between a city centre and an airport had been suspended and so she was panicked as it was rush hour and a taxi would not get her to the airport on time.

I tend to catch Trains to airports all the same!
    I need to fly from Manchester on Monday morning (as the flights from local airports are full). Given that I'm not driving at 3am and I'm not paying for it -it's the train on Sunday night and the a night at the Crowne Plaza...

• Options
    HYUFD said:

The secret revealed. Boris is adding another day to October
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Did they say how?
    Oh come on you know . Just believe in it !
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Salmond was a brilliant politician and great FM of Scotland, sorely missed.
    First Minister wasn't what first came to mind in the context of Salmond
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,999
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Blair was born in Edinburgh, Cameron comes from a Scottish family, both won majorities in England
    Neither Scottish though
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I turned on the Sky coverage of the hustings to see Hunt taking questions from the audience, asked the member of the audience who'd just asked a question to wave so he could see who asked the question and he said "ah there you are sir...I mean, madam. Ah...you are a long way away".

Probably a very easy mistake to make, but, still, got a laugh from me. I am easily amused though when it comes to these hustings events.

How long did it take Hunt this time to mention that he used to be an entrepreneur you know?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Did they say how?
    Technology
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Just a continuation of what he did for years at the Telegraph.
    It served him - and no one else - well.

He might surprise us, but I’d be utterly amazed.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Just apologise ffs!

Because it bridges the gap between your belief that it was fair comment and the offence taken by some of the recipients
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

[snip]

Well if they don't deliver Brexit that or PM Farage may be the result
    Indeed so (at least the Corbyn bit, I don't see the Farage bit). That will also be the outcome if they do deliver Brexit in the worst conceivable way, crashing us out in chaos. The main differences between the two disasters are that the former would be better for the country, and the latter would take many more years for the Conservative Party to recover from.
This discussion has been closed.