Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 64 LAB peers pay for Guardian ad to tell Corbyn that he fails

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    What struck me about a very uninspiring PMQs was the sheer range of topics and detail covered. Telford Council, Northern Rail, pancreatic cancer robots, asylum seeker accommodation in Glasgow to name but a few.
    You have to either know the detail, or convince with a plausible answer. And treat the topic with the appropriate register. Sometimes a light hearted response will suffice. At others with great gravitas. And to identify correctly which one.
    How will Boris do?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Anyhoo. I note the kerfuffle about @HYUFD . Whilst I acknowledge that in terms of rhetoric escalation he is about two weeks away from creating the Daleks, and that it is often difficult to separate his headcanon[1] from his analysis, his thesis that Boris will become PM, leave on time (sic) regardless of deal, and that with the Leavers united and the Remainers split between the Libs and the anti-Semites he will win the coming election, is basically sound. It is also supported by the available evidence with Con recovering in the polls, albeit weakly.

I don't think that last sentence is true. If anything there's been a slight Con -> Lab swing in recent polls, though it's pretty much M.O.E. stuff.
    Only from Tory to Brexit Party which Boris will reverse and more
    I'm talking about the period from about Jun 10th ish. Over that time it looks like there's been a Con -> Lab swing and, at the same time, a TBP -> Con swing. (And unsurprisingly given the above, also a LD -> Lab swing)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    Dura_Ace said:

Choking clouds of charnel smoke blanketing the post-Brexit New Jerusalem should do wonders for the national mood.
    Blair won a landslide in a similar situation.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

Full on attack by TM on Corbyn antii semitism

Anyone who calls Corbyn racist but won’t call Trump racist doesn’t have the credibility to launch a powerful attack on him. That’s fair to say isn’t it?
    True enough. Very difficult though for our head of state to call the American head of state a racist. Personally, if I was PM, I would, but that's probably why I would never make it up the greasy pole.
    The US House of Representatives voted last night to call Trump racist by a majority vote but it is now controlled by the Democrats, May and Boris might criticise Trump's words like Mitt Romney has but like Romney they will also not go so far as to call him racist
    The politics he’s using here is fascism. Call him a fascist.

We stood up to them in the 1930s and 1940s and beat them, we will do so again. There can be no US UK special relationship whilst there is a fascist in the whitehouse, is what the PM should say.
    Trump is a Nationalist not a Fascist, if he was a Fascist he would have tried to arrest Nancy Pelosi last night and banned the Democratic Party
    Picking on minority groups and minority ethnic groups in the country and calling them unpatriotic and enemy’s of the people for electoral gain is fascist politics.

You don’t think he is doing that?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    justin124 said:

Corbyn will not resign if Labour lose the next election. He will stay until there is a far left alternative to him that can be confident of winning a leadership election.

Until recently, I'd assumed that too but his standing has surely been hit within the Party by his Brexit stance and would be tarnished still further if Labour lost again. I get that for the likes of McClusky and Milne, controlling the Party machine matters more than winning an election but wouldn't by that point it be safer for the far left to dump their failure on Corbyn personally and risk an election with a candidate of their choice, than face another challenge from the centre which they might lose against Corbyn?

And I do think he's beginning to look old. Is he really up for another 5+ years?
    But Labour's polling position in relation to the Tories is nothing like as dire as was the case at the outset of the 2017 election. Corbyn massively outperfprmed expectations then - and might do so again. I say this as a non-Corbynite.
    No, in absolute terms, both Labour's and Corbyn's positions are worse now than they were in 2017. However, the Tories' position is a *lot* worse than it was then.

However, the chances of Corbyn pulling off another miracle are low.
    - The Tory campaign should not be relied upon to be the complete shitshow it was then. There will be demands not to allow the secrecy given Nick Timothy.
    - Boris hasn't covered himself in glory this leadership campaign but he can't be as bad as May was.
    - Corbyn has two more years' water under the bridge and people who were prepared to give him a second chance might not give him a third.
    - His personal ratings are not just at their lowest ever but the lowest for any LotO ever.
    - Corbyn's actions in the 1980s might not have been relevant in 2017; his (in)actions as leader are relevant now though.
    - The Lib Dems are in a far stronger position than they were in 2017 and will soon have a new leader.
    - Corbyn is out of touch with him members and voters on Brexit.
    - Labour's top team is no better than it was in 2017 and the media will happily chase Abbott into saying something arrogant, patronising and stupid.

Now, as you say, maybe all this won't matter as much as the Tories and Brexit. But if it does - if Labour does form a government - things will go downhill very very quickly; Labour's fundamentals are exceptionally weak.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712
    HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

Anyone who calls Corbyn racist but won’t call Trump racist doesn’t have the credibility to launch a powerful attack on him. That’s fair to say isn’t it?
    True enough. Very difficult though for our head of state to call the American head of state a racist. Personally, if I was PM, I would, but that's probably why I would never make it up the greasy pole.
    The US House of Representatives voted last night to call Trump racist by a majority vote but it is now controlled by the Democrats, May and Boris might criticise Trump's words like Mitt Romney has but like Romney they will also not go so far as to call him racist

We stood up to them in the 1930s and 1940s and beat them, we will do so again. There can be no US UK special relationship whilst there is a fascist in the whitehouse, is what the PM should say.
    Trump is a Nationalist not a Fascist, if he was a Fascist he would have tried to arrest Nancy Pelosi last night and banned the Democratic Party
    Yes, because a fascist movement in it's infancy has to look exactly the same as it would do at it's height of power. Trump is fascistic, he just doesn't have the power to do some of the things he wants to, because the structures of the US government make it difficult to do so. But considering those structural constraints, he is making the likelihood of a future full on fascist american government more likely with every norm and law broken.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,098
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Anyhoo. I note the kerfuffle about @HYUFD . Whilst I acknowledge that in terms of rhetoric escalation he is about two weeks away from creating the Daleks, and that it is often difficult to separate his headcanon[1] from his analysis, his thesis that Boris will become PM, leave on time (sic) regardless of deal, and that with the Leavers united and the Remainers split between the Libs and the anti-Semites he will win the coming election, is basically sound. It is also supported by the available evidence with Con recovering in the polls, albeit weakly.

I don't think that last sentence is true. If anything there's been a slight Con -> Lab swing in recent polls, though it's pretty much M.O.E. stuff.
    I'm talking about the period from about Jun 10th ish. Over that time it looks like there's been a Con -> Lab swing and, at the same time, a TBP -> Con swing. (And unsurprisingly given the above, also a LD -> Lab swing)
    Since 2017 the movement has mainly been Labour to LD and Tory to Brexit Party, very little movement between Labour and Tory.

Boris partly reverses the latter, Corbyn is unlikely to reverse the former

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804
    dixiedean said:

What struck me about a very uninspiring PMQs was the sheer range of topics and detail covered. Telford Council, Northern Rail, pancreatic cancer robots, asylum seeker accommodation in Glasgow to name but a few.
    You have to either know the detail, or convince with a plausible answer. And treat the topic with the appropriate register. Sometimes a light hearted response will suffice. At others with great gravitas. And to identify correctly which one.
    How will Boris do?

PMQs is the least of his worries, he will be better than Corbyn and that is enough.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

1. There’ll be a No Deal Brexit
    2. The Tories will win the next GE
    3. Jeremy Corbyn will remain leader even after Labour lose
    4. Boris Johnson will be the last Tory PM in my lifetime
    5. If I live my three score & 10 I’ll see the UK break-up
    6. It’s bleak
    7. Flee, you fools

I hope those predictions turn out to be as accurate as those you were confidently making just a few minutes before polls closed on 8th June 2017. Indeed I recall a state of denial continuing for a good 2 hours beyond the Exit Poll!
    Yes Southam is not one to watch on predictions.
    Day after day he told us Mitt Romney was going to win.
    @SouthamObserver got the Brexit referendum prediction prize though.
    He was not one to follow on the Scottish referendum result.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1141033849390084096
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Choking clouds of charnel smoke blanketing the post-Brexit New Jerusalem should do wonders for the national mood.
    Was that not unfortunate disease outbreak, not calculated and controversial political decision making?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    ydoethur said:

My awesome cricket powers continue undimmed.

Arriving at Cheltenham I said Glos would be all out in half an hour.

The two batsmen not out overnight have now put on 106.

Titter ....

The "Rogerdamus" of the willow and leather strikes himself lbw .... :smiley:
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019

Dura_Ace said:

Boris is no Blair.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Since 2017 the movement has mainly been Labour to LD and Tory to Brexit Party, very little movement between Labour and Tory.

Boris partly reverses the latter, Corbyn is unlikely to reverse the former

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20
    If that's your prediction, then fine. It's not an unreasonable one, though your level of confidence in it is.

As I said, I was specifically arguing against viewcode's assertion: "It is also supported by the available evidence with Con recovering in the polls, albeit weakly."
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,942
    Zephyr said:

This is the simple truth that Labour members like Nick Palmer refuse to accept ...

https://twitter.com/SpaJw/status/1151452385782456320

Some of them have become so pro Palestinian they have become anti Israel and anti Jew. It doesn’t matter if they are like a drunk who doesn’t realise they have a drink problem, or that political opponents inside and outside the party are exploiting it for political gain, the racism allegations are justified. To be Jewish is not a choice of religion but a matter of race.

Opponents of Corbyn, having a field day with this, if they truly hate all anti semiticsm and wish it to go away, need to be open about when and how this started. Five years ago the leader of the Labour Party was of Jewish descent, and there was no whiff of anti Semitic when he and his brother mopped up the leadership election votes or through his time in office, was there?

There was a very, very different membership back then. If I recall correctly, pre-2015 members mostly opposed Corbyn in 2015 and 2016. They knew exactly what he would allow into the Labour party. And they were spot on.

• Options
    Zephyr said:

Zephyr said:

TM called Trump out as recognised by Ian Blackford

Zephyr said:

Well I’m not calling Trump a racist. He’s gone far beyond that. The politics he is practicing with this is fascism.
    Some of us called that out in 2016

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/11/12/its-not-neo-fascism-its-the-classic-variety/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,098

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

Trump is very pro Israel
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

How do you know there hasn't been a TBP-> Lab swing instead? The cosying up of the Tories to TBP supporters and vice versa may have driven left wing leavers back in that direction.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

148grss said:

On the topic of the British / Israeli states and their constitutional religiosity (or lack thereof) and or racism.

I assume no one disagrees that the UK is constitutionally a Protestant state, even if it's people and governance is mostly secular / pluralist.

The Israeli state, from my understanding, is not constitutionally a Jewish State, although I understand Netanyahu's government has tried to pass legislation of that kind (I am unsure how that panned out).

As for racism, I don't think either state is constitutionally racist, although both are practically racist, in that the British state's policies and the method of enacting said policies seem to disproportionately target and discriminate against ethnic minorities. As for Israel, the current state as governed by Likud are obviously racist, with Bibi often talking about opposition parties bussing in Arab voters and other dog whistle rhetoric, as well as clearly expansionist and aggressive settling policies and disproportionate responses to Palestinians protesting.

It does still interest me that antisemitism is only discussed when coming from left wing areas. Much of the anti Soros, New World Order, Farage and Trumpian language is patently antisemitic, but we are spending more time talking about Corbyn and co. Again, during Ed's time as Labour leader it was obvious the party was happy being led by a (culturally) Jewish man, and Ed still seems somewhat popular amongst the members, even Corbyn supporters, and the many antisemitic attacks on him by the mainstream press and Tories were not considered a problem.

The lords trying to use this as a stick to beat Corbyn do a disservice to the issue. They are right he hasn't done enough to deal with the issue. But saying the only thing left he can do to put it right is to resign will immediately have 2/3rds of the Labour membership see this as another attempted stitch up of Corbyn, and treat this issue with less seriousness because of it.

I wouldn't say the UK is a practically racist state, unless one is arguing that every political entity is practically racist.
    I would say that pretty much all of the post imperial powers and their colonies are practically racist states. Laws in this country are not universally applied; illegal drug usage is about even split across racial lines, for instance, yet arrests are higher amongst non white people. Non white people are disproportionately likely to be affected by austerity and cuts to public services. Courts are more likely to hand down harsher sentences for the same crime. And when the media talks about the working class, there is always an assumed "white" before hand, making the working class seem a monolith whereas the working class in this country has a large number of non white people. We could talk about further structural inequalities in education, healthcare and elsewhere...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    To tory no dealers I know you will disagree with Hammond, and perhaps think little of him, but does him being "terrified" and he doesnt seem one for unnecessary strong language, especially blue on blue, not make you think perhaps it is okay to slow down and think this through a bit more before jumping off the cliff?
    Not for a second. This was the debate that was held before the referendum and since then Nothing Has Changed. Leaving the Single Market and Leaving the Customs Union was officially what the Treasury and others said would happen if we voted to Leave the EU. Since he represents the Treasury, what has changed since then from the Treasuries pre-referendum comments?

If that's his opinion it just shows he was the completely wrong person to take charge of the Exchequer after the referendum result and no wonder we're in this mess. Sooner he's on the backbenches or gone completely the better.

For those of us at the back who are slow on the uptake, can you explain how making it harder and more expensive to trade with our biggest export market helps the UK?

By better controlling our own laws and destiny which matters far more.
    I’m not going to argue control that is important to have has been lost, in my lifetime the British government has lost control, we do need to take back control. Anyone who claims that control was 100% lost to the EU is completely wrong though, some of it was, some lost to globalisation and MNC, some lost to non EU global obligations, some control where government stood back and let the market take control.

I read your posts, Thomo you are smart, so you don’t believe all the control was % lost to EU do you?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Jezza tries to get back to climate change, rather than Jews.

Is there an environmentally friendly solution to Labour's Jewish problem ..... chimneys are so last century.

The Labour Party 2019 -

FOR THE NOT SO MANY ESPECIALLY THE JEWS
    I wrote spoof Red Flag lyrics for each of the four contenders in the 2015 Labour leadership contenders. The one I did for Corbyn might have been a bit complacent but it still stands fairly well.

The Corbyn flag is deepest red
    It flies for heart but not for head;
    To fight oppression everywhere
    (unless it's Jews - then we don't care)
    Another day, another cause
    But it's a futile task because
    In five years' time the world will see
    Another Tory victory.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

On the topic of the British / Israeli states and their constitutional religiosity (or lack thereof) and or racism.

I assume no one disagrees that the UK is constitutionally a Protestant state, even if it's people and governance is mostly secular / pluralist.

It does still interest me that antisemitism is only discussed when coming from left wing areas. Much of the anti Soros, New World Order, Farage and Trumpian language is patently antisemitic, but we are spending more time talking about Corbyn and co. Again, during Ed's time as Labour leader it was obvious the party was happy being led by a (culturally) Jewish man, and Ed still seems somewhat popular amongst the members, even Corbyn supporters, and the many antisemitic attacks on him by the mainstream press and Tories were not considered a problem.

The lords trying to use this as a stick to beat Corbyn do a disservice to the issue. They are right he hasn't done enough to deal with the issue. But saying the only thing left he can do to put it right is to resign will immediately have 2/3rds of the Labour membership see this as another attempted stitch up of Corbyn, and treat this issue with less seriousness because of it.

I wouldn't say the UK is a practically racist state, unless one is arguing that every political entity is practically racist.
    I would say that pretty much all of the post imperial powers and their colonies are practically racist states. Laws in this country are not universally applied; illegal drug usage is about even split across racial lines, for instance, yet arrests are higher amongst non white people. Non white people are disproportionately likely to be affected by austerity and cuts to public services. Courts are more likely to hand down harsher sentences for the same crime. And when the media talks about the working class, there is always an assumed "white" before hand, making the working class seem a monolith whereas the working class in this country has a large number of non white people. We could talk about further structural inequalities in education, healthcare and elsewhere...
    Has there ever been anywhere in the history of the world where there hasn't been inequality? Not sure it is a particularly useful way of deciding which states are racist if the answer is all of them.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353
    TOPPING said:

<

@HYUFD provides a useful and interesting pov. It is when he starts ascribing views and political homes to other posters that is the issue.

PB is always at its worst when we get mostly anonymous posters hassling other mostly anonymous posters. Nobody really cares what ZYXWV thinks about ABCDE.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

How do you know there hasn't been a TBP-> Lab swing instead? The cosying up of the Tories to TBP supporters and vice versa may have driven left wing leavers back in that direction.
    A swing is the net change in support between two parties. It doesn't mean that the voters are moving directly between those two parties. So yes, there has also been a TBP -> Lab swing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

Trump is very pro Israel
    Your point?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

theakes said:

See Lib Dems won the Cardiff by election by 30%, in 2017 neck and neck with Conservative. Is this a sign of what will happen up the road at Brecon in a fortnight. Whatever it is it appears to be another one in the eye for "Team Boris"

Cardiff voted Remain, Brecon voted Leave
    48% of Brecon voted Remain, and that is the side getting recent swings.
    Only because the Brexit Party is taking Tory votes, Boris will reverse that
    We want the poll! We want the poll! We Want the poll!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
  • Options
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353
    AndyJS said:

There's no point in Labour getting rid of Corbyn if they replaced him with another person most voters would regard as very left-wing, like RLB. They need to replace him with a moderate like Yvette Cooper or Tom Watson.

Actually I think a lot of voters who are anti-Corbyn are willing to accept a pretty left-wing programme as preferable to the current Government - I think Southam for one has said as much. What is less clear is what that group will do if they live in marginal Con-Lab seats and it's Boris vs Corbyn.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Or, biggest Halloween BBQ ever.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

How will Boris do?

PMQs is the least of his worries, he will be better than Corbyn and that is enough.
    Are you completely sure of that?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Corbyn will not resign if Labour lose the next election. He will stay until there is a far left alternative to him that can be confident of winning a leadership election.

But Labour's polling position in relation to the Tories is nothing like as dire as was the case at the outset of the 2017 election. Corbyn massively outperfprmed expectations then - and might do so again. I say this as a non-Corbynite.
    No, in absolute terms, both Labour's and Corbyn's positions are worse now than they were in 2017. However, the Tories' position is a *lot* worse than it was then.

- The Tory campaign should not be relied upon to be the complete shitshow it was then. There will be demands not to allow the secrecy given Nick Timothy.
    - Boris hasn't covered himself in glory this leadership campaign but he can't be as bad as May was.
    - Corbyn has two more years' water under the bridge and people who were prepared to give him a second chance might not give him a third.
    - His personal ratings are not just at their lowest ever but the lowest for any LotO ever.
    - Corbyn's actions in the 1980s might not have been relevant in 2017; his (in)actions as leader are relevant now though.
    - The Lib Dems are in a far stronger position than they were in 2017 and will soon have a new leader.
    - Labour's top team is no better than it was in 2017 and the media will happily chase Abbott into saying something arrogant, patronising and stupid.

Now, as you say, maybe all this won't matter as much as the Tories and Brexit. But if it does - if Labour does form a government - things will go downhill very very quickly; Labour's fundamentals are exceptionally weak.
    I agree with much of that, but in truth we will not know whether Corbyn has lost his campaigning mojo until he is back in action in that environment. Boris will not have May's awkwardness and is naturally much more charismatic - but , on the other hand, is likely to be taken much less seriously by voters.. Regarding Labour's polling position, I would point out that for most of April 2017 Labour's poll ratings were in the 23% - 29% range - with the latter being out of line with most. Currently Labour appears to be polling in the 25% - 29% range - with Yougov having them lower. Overall,though, not much different from April 2017 .
  • Options

AndyJS said:

There's no point in Labour getting rid of Corbyn if they replaced him with another person most voters would regard as very left-wing, like RLB. They need to replace him with a moderate like Yvette Cooper or Tom Watson.

Actually I think a lot of voters who are anti-Corbyn are willing to accept a pretty left-wing programme as preferable to the current Government - I think Southam for one has said as much. What is less clear is what that group will do if they live in marginal Con-Lab seats and it's Boris vs Corbyn.
    If I was in a Con-Lab marginal with no hope for other parties, I would be open to voting for either if the candidate was anti no deal, non racist, non extremist and their opponent had the opposite characteristics.

If they were both "acceptable" or both "unacceptable" I would vote for a third party.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    No way! Galloway might well take votes otherwise destined for the Brexit Party.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I agree with much of that, but in truth we will not know whether Corbyn has lost his campaigning mojo until he is back in action in that environment. Boris will not have May's awkwardness and is naturally much more charismatic - but , on the other hand, is likely to be taken much less seriously by voters.. Regarding Labour's polling position, I would point out that for most of April 2017 Labour's poll ratings were in the 23% - 29% range - with the latter being out of line with most. Currently Labour appears to be polling in the 25% - 29% range - with Yougov having them lower. Overall,though, not much different from April 2017 .
    Corbyn supporters are sometimes accused of complacency in assuming that he will repeat his 2017 comeback. And while that is true, I also think there's incredible complacency among many Corbyn haters here in assuming that he won't.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Boris is no Blair.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

How will Boris do?

Yes pretty sure, he can bluster, has plenty of experience from London mayoral questions, when he didnt know the topic he blustered and promised a report back.

Whilst it is impressive that May might be so well briefed on asylum seeker accommadation in Glasgow, no-one thinks it is essential knowledge for a PM, saying something broad and we will get back to you on that would be fine.

Indeed if May spent less time on the detail and more time selling the big picture we might not be in this mess.

His problems are that he doesnt have the numbers, doesnt have a plan and is incapable of getting either.
  • Options
    eek said:
    Forgive me if I am being a bit thick, but, if your flock is slaughtered, and you receive compensation, aren't you still out of a job? Because you then become a sheep less sheep farmer?

• Options

dixiedean said:

How will Boris do?

Corbyn has often bettered May at PMQs.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

eek said:
    Forgive me if I am being a bit thick, but, if your flock is slaughtered, and you receive compensation, aren't you still out of a job? Because you then become a sheep less sheep farmer?

Yes with hundreds of thousands in the bank. Hard life for the Tory supporting Brexit loving benefit scroungers. All to be paid for by the workers who voted remain.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Afternoon all :)

This is the bear pit @HYUFD knows that, I know that and most of us know that. Sometimes the claws come out sometimes they don't. If you're frightened of getting scratched don't come in.

IF Boris gets his majority @HYUFD will have a jolly good gloat and then spend the next five years desperately defending the Government at every turn. IF Boris fails, I don't know what he'll do - he'll oppose any Corbyn Government I'm certain but as a Conservative or a TBP member or an independent I don't know - it's his business. He'll hopefully take some of the lumps that will come his way - he normally does without going too ad hom. He has never crossed the line with me though he did call me a Lib Dem the other night.

Beside the point...I'm still stuck with this notion that Boris will be able to get a majority in favour of prorogation. I suppose he's relying on the fact Labour and the LDs may think they have a chance to nobble Boris before he gets started. I'm also slightly dubious about an election taking place in a potential period of economic dislocation.

I suppose the line will be to blame the Europeans and invoke the Blitz spirit. The problem will be if the EU offer us another extension - it will be hard to accept it's their fault if they offered us a lifeline and Boris threw it back at them.

I do note Farage is warming toward Johnson - I think the pre-31/10 electoral pact is there but if the deadline slips the gloves will be off.
  • Options
    9 million sheep slaughtered on the altar of No Deal Brexit.
    Of course, it isn't a quasi-religious cult. No siree.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

dixiedean said:

How will Boris do?

Mays govt has been a disaster. Occassionally scoring a win is a pretty low bar. Any competent Labour leader would have caused the govts collapse by now.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

dixiedean said:

How will Boris do?

Heh.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

Trump is very pro Israel
    Your point?
    And a great example about why "Pro Israel" does not equal "not an antisemite". Literally said to a group of American Jewish donors that Bibi was "your Prime Minister" and in the same speech mentioned how he hated that his casino's used to have black people count money when he would have preferred "men in yamakas". Take with that the whole Soros conspiracy theory of one rich Jew importing immigrants to cuck the white race, and you have literal Nazi talking points.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

This is the bear pit @HYUFD knows that, I know that and most of us know that. Sometimes the claws come out sometimes they don't. If you're frightened of getting scratched don't come in.

IF Boris gets his majority @HYUFD will have a jolly good gloat and then spend the next five years desperately defending the Government at every turn. IF Boris fails, I don't know what he'll do - he'll oppose any Corbyn Government I'm certain but as a Conservative or a TBP member or an independent I don't know - it's his business. He'll hopefully take some of the lumps that will come his way - he normally does without going too ad hom. He has never crossed the line with me though he did call me a Lib Dem the other night.

Beside the point...I'm still stuck with this notion that Boris will be able to get a majority in favour of prorogation. I suppose he's relying on the fact Labour and the LDs may think they have a chance to nobble Boris before he gets started. I'm also slightly dubious about an election taking place in a potential period of economic dislocation.

I suppose the line will be to blame the Europeans and invoke the Blitz spirit. The problem will be if the EU offer us another extension - it will be hard to accept it's their fault if they offered us a lifeline and Boris threw it back at them.

I do note Farage is warming toward Johnson - I think the pre-31/10 electoral pact is there but if the deadline slips the gloves will be off.

Once again how do you get a pre 31/10 election through Parliament. For Boris to do that he needs to do it next Thursday..
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

The Open this week, do you like golf?

In all seriousness what do you think of the new stadium move?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Nick, is there such a thing as living in the past left wing, and living in the 21st century left wing? In that it’s the end result you are trying to achieve, and non prescriptive on what achieves that quickly, cheaply and effectively?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

There is no way the Govt would pay compensation for sheep to be culled. It would be really stupid politics. If they paid compensation it would be to keep the sheep alive and say it was protecting the beauty of the countryside or they would buy the meat for the NHS, Army etc.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,878
    148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

The Israeli state, from my understanding, is not constitutionally a Jewish State, although I understand Netanyahu's government has tried to pass legislation of that kind (I am unsure how that panned out).

As for racism, I don't think either state is constitutionally racist, although both are practically racist, in that the British state's policies and the method of enacting said policies seem to disproportionately target and discriminate against ethnic minorities. As for Israel, the current state as governed by Likud are obviously racist, with Bibi often talking about opposition parties bussing in Arab voters and other dog whistle rhetoric, as well as clearly expansionist and aggressive settling policies and disproportionate responses to Palestinians protesting.

When everywhere is racist, nowhere is. This is pretty small beer.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

Plenty of options if you have the land.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

Even fascists have to work within the rule of law, at least for as long as they don't control the law.

Structurally, the US political system makes it very difficult for a fascist administration to take over - which is fortunate given how susceptible US political culture is to nationalist rhetoric, witchhunts, populism and the like.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Why the feck would we compensate farmers?

Those 🛎 ends voted for Brexit.

Brexit means Brexit and they should reap what they sow.

We should spend that money on the NHS.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    Brexit dividend. Thank goodness Leave voting pensioners are protected, but Brexit leaves the Left Behind further behind than ever.
    https://twitter.com/TorstenBell/status/1151402205657935872
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

In the fells of Cumbria for example? Other than rewilding, which wouldn't be a bad option in my view, not immediately obvious what the demand would be.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
  • Options

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Ha ha. I'll believe the new stadium when I am in it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

As for racism, I don't think either state is constitutionally racist, although both are practically racist, in that the British state's policies and the method of enacting said policies seem to disproportionately target and discriminate against ethnic minorities.

When everywhere is racist, nowhere is. This is pretty small beer.

If your definition of "practically a racist state" is simply a literal apartheid state, sure, hardly anywhere is racist. If your definition is instead one that takes the view that the policies of policing, the judiciary, education, healthcare and welfare mean that white people come out much better than non white people (on average, controlling for class), yes most of the old colonial powers and the US are very much racist.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

In the fells of Cumbria for example? Other than rewilding, which wouldn't be a bad option in my view, not immediately obvious what the demand would be.
    That is true. But on the whole the farming community is pretty phlegmatic about what it grows or raises. It will wait to see where the demand is and adapt.

Of course this will be a process of years not weeks or months and there will be winners and losers but on the whole if you have an acre or two of land you can be pretty adaptable.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Hunt thinks it will cost £6bn see https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/jeremy-hunt-announces-no-deal-funding-for-british/ and https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/a-no-deal-brexit-must-be-avoided-at-all-costs-uk-farming-roundtable-warns/ which basically confirms that we won't be able to export anything thanks to red tape...

As for why - these things are only an issue due to a No Deal exit, if we leave with a Deal we can still export food to the EU - without a deal we can't...

And remember Boris promised during the referendum that we wouldn't leaving without a deal - BMW, Mercedes and VW would make sure of that..
  • Options
    Meanwhile, the Telegraph, Daily Mail, Express Guardian thinks that Theresa won PMQs.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,942
    edited July 2019

AndyJS said:

I will vote LibDem or Green and I am in a Tory/Lab marginal. I cannot vote for a party led by a racist. I would happily vote for a party espousing left-wing policies led by a non-racist, but sadly that option is not on offer.

That said, I do think that Johnson will be Labour's best chance to keep a large part of its 2017 coalition together. A lot of people will hold their noses to vote Labour because they find Johnson so repellent.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2019
    148grss said:

If your definition of "practically a racist state" is simply a literal apartheid state, sure, hardly anywhere is racist. If your definition is instead one that takes the view that the policies of policing, the judiciary, education, healthcare and welfare mean that white people come out much better than non white people (on average, controlling for class), yes most of the old colonial powers and the US are very much racist.

And which countries (ancient or modern) aren't or weren't?
  • Options
    DixieDean does know what happens to the Sheep the Sheep farmers normally raise doesn't he???
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Ha ha. I'll believe the new stadium when I am in it.
    My Everton supporting friends are like you.

They also don’t think Joe Anderson will get the funding for it either.

For the last few years you can’t pick up a paper or switch on the telly without him bemoaning Tory austerity but he’s managed to find a few hundred million for Everton’s new stadium.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

AndyJS said:

Nick, is there such a thing as living in the past left wing, and living in the 21st century left wing? In that it’s the end result you are trying to achieve, and non prescriptive on what achieves that quickly, cheaply and effectively?
    Well for example, if the best deal with EU is the current one (not that I believe it is) to what extent will a left wing programme as you called it run into trouble with the EU?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114
    TOPPING said:

Meanwhile, the Telegraph, Daily Mail, Express Guardian thinks that Theresa won PMQs.

The Guardian failed to endorse Corbyn in the 2016 leadership election so it's practically a Tory paper anyway.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I will vote LibDem or Green and I am in a Tory/Lab marginal. I cannot vote for a party led by a racist. I would happily vote for a party espousing left-wing policies led by a non-racist, but sadly that option is not on offer.

That said, I do think that Johnson will be Labour's best chance to keep a large part of its 2017 coalition together. A lot of people will hold their noses to vote Labour because they find Johnson so repellent.

Yep - my seat is definitely Labour v Tory and I won't be voting Tory this time around... Given the NFU tweets below it wouldn't surprise me if the 2 Tory seats to the south of me also go Labour...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    FF43 said:

Brexit dividend. Thank goodness Leave voting pensioners are protected, but Brexit leaves the Left Behind further behind than ever.
    https://twitter.com/TorstenBell/status/1151402205657935872

Worthy of furthe rinquiry, I think.

The last six months (perhaps too recent for the chart) have seen wages outstrip the cost of inflation. That being the case I query the effect on household incomes. Unless it is something about the tax or benefits element.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Yes with hundreds of thousands in the bank. Hard life for the Tory supporting Brexit loving benefit scroungers. All to be paid for by the workers who voted remain.
    Do you talk out of your arse often? Most sheep farmers would be better off working on minimum wage. I'd like to see a lily-livered towny twat like you swap for their life style. you wouldn't know what hit you.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Did you vote Labour in 2017 when the party polled 41% across GB?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

How will Boris do?

A dead sheep would be better than Corbyn, and a half dead one better than Boris.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    eek said:

Hunt thinks it will cost £6bn see https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/jeremy-hunt-announces-no-deal-funding-for-british/ and https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/a-no-deal-brexit-must-be-avoided-at-all-costs-uk-farming-roundtable-warns/ which basically confirms that we won't be able to export anything thanks to red tape...

As for why - these things are only an issue due to a No Deal exit, if we leave with a Deal we can still export food to the EU - without a deal we can't...

And remember Boris promised during the referendum that we wouldn't leaving without a deal - BMW, Mercedes and VW would make sure of that..
    The NFU are fighting two things 1) They want current subsidies to continue. 2) They do not want the Govt to let in food from around the world quota and tariff free to mitigate the effects of food price inflation.

The Govt has guaranteed the subsidies until 2022. The one thing that they still keep taking about is that after brexit we could get food cheaper from the RoW by not applying the CET and removing the food safety standards. The Govt needs to clarify their position on this for example they could say they will only reduce tariffs food we do not make i.e olive oil and that they will not reduce standards for food safety.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    How many Tory MPs represent highly agricultural seats ?

Surely they must be getting a little worried .
  • Options

DixieDean does know what happens to the Sheep the Sheep farmers normally raise doesn't he???

Indeed I do. There are sheep in the field next door but one, and all around my village. But the flock re-populates itself every Spring. It doesn't if it doesn't exist any longer.
  • Options
    This popped up on an episode of world war weird.

https://news.sky.com/story/calls-for-probe-into-us-govt-weaponising-insects-to-spread-disease-11764918

My understanding is Tricky Dicky shut the programme down, but Bolton and Trump started it up again, despite the fact the US government given so many of their own citizens the very nasty limes disease via these experiments.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The Guardian failed to endorse Corbyn in the 2016 leadership election so it's practically a Tory paper anyway.
    Plus it's run by the Rothschilds so it's no real surprise.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

eek said:

The NFU are fighting two things 1) They want current subsidies to continue. 2) They do not want the Govt to let in food from around the world quota and tariff free to mitigate the effects of food price inflation.

The Govt has guaranteed the subsidies until 2022. The one thing that they still keep taking about is that after brexit we could get food cheaper from the RoW by not applying the CET and removing the food safety standards. The Govt needs to clarify their position on this for example they could say they will only reduce tariffs food we do not make i.e olive oil and that they will not reduce standards for food safety.
    Your points 1 and 2 are a given - but this has nothing to do with either of them - a No Deal Brexit means most farmers will suddenly have no market to sell their product to...

For instance 7m sheep are exported every year to the EU and if you can't export them who buys them...
  • Options

eek said:

When the inevitable post Brexit food shortages come, those on here that think farmers have an easy life on subsidies will be demanding the subsidies are reinstated. The reality is that consumers have subsidised food, and they like it that way, but they just don't quite realise it yet.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Somebody posted an NFU members poll showing 52% remain 26% leave and 22% don’t know so the myth of all farmers voting leave maybe a bit out. Also the president of the NFU talks more sense on brexit than the ERG/TBP/Johnson and Hunt put together.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

When the inevitable post Brexit food shortages come, those on here that think farmers have an easy life on subsidies will be demanding the subsidies are reinstated. The reality is that consumers have subsidised food, and they like it that way, but they just don't quite realise it yet.

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1151378804193013761
  • Options

148grss said:

I mean, most ancient states weren't racist in the sense we discuss today because their ideas of race were completely different. In ancient times distinction wasn't about skin colour, or even country of origin, as much as barbarian or civilised. Even pre Empire you had notions of Christendom and such that kind of transcended race as such, and the obsession with skin colour and other "biological" metrics of race were an invention of the Empire and scientific racism. Indeed, the first "inferior race" English scientists discussed were the Irish, who have only recently been welcomed into whiteness. They were known as white n-words for that reason.

My main contention is that saying "well if all these things are racist, racism doesn't mean anything" isn't true. It just means that when people hear the word racist they go "well that is bad, anything that is good can't be racist, and I think x is fine, so it isn't racist". It's like people accepting that Trump says racist things, but the idea he is personally racist is a bridge too far. Racism isn't something you are, it is evidenced by actions and outcomes.
  • Options
    Which suggests they are even more f***ed than they think.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Note - my post isn't about subsidies remaining - it's about the sudden destruction of the export market resulting in an additional significant loss of sales...

1 and 2 are given - this has nothing to do with either of them - a No Deal Brexit means most farmers have no market to sell their product to...
    We import 40% of the food we eat. Imports are far larger than exports by a long way. The only significant food that we export more than we import is Lamb.

We lose the exports to EU27 because of the CET being applicable. If we put exactly the same tariffs up to the EU27 then according to your argument the EU will have no UK market to sell too. Therefore there is a significant lack of supply to the UK (with the exception of Lamb). But we must have the food so the food will come the prices will rise and the main beneficiary if those price rise will be UK farmers. Which is why the NFU does not want the Govt to reduce tariffs to zero, because they want their members to have these price rises.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Note - my post isn't about subsidies remaining - it's about the sudden destruction of the export market resulting in an additional significant loss of sales...

1 and 2 are given - this has nothing to do with either of them - a No Deal Brexit means most farmers have no market to sell their product to...
    We import 40% of the food we eat. Imports are far larger than exports by a long way. The only significant food that we export more than we import is Lamb.

We lose the exports to EU27 because of the CET being applicable. If we put exactly the same tariffs up to the EU27 then according to your argument the EU will have no UK market to sell too. Therefore there is a significant lack of supply to the UK (with the exception of Lamb). But we must have the food so the food will come the prices will rise and the main beneficiary if those price rise will be UK farmers. Which is why the NFU does not want the Govt to reduce tariffs to zero, because they want their members to have these price rises.
    Did I mention tariffs? It's red tape that will kill us - sorry that meat can't leave the ferry it's not certified....
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    148grss said:

148grss said:

I mean, most ancient states weren't racist in the sense we discuss today because their ideas of race were completely different. In ancient times distinction wasn't about skin colour, or even country of origin, as much as barbarian or civilised. Even pre Empire you had notions of Christendom and such that kind of transcended race as such, and the obsession with skin colour and other "biological" metrics of race were an invention of the Empire and scientific racism. Indeed, the first "inferior race" English scientists discussed were the Irish, who have only recently been welcomed into whiteness. They were known as white n-words for that reason.

My main contention is that saying "well if all these things are racist, racism doesn't mean anything" isn't true. It just means that when people hear the word racist they go "well that is bad, anything that is good can't be racist, and I think x is fine, so it isn't racist". It's like people accepting that Trump says racist things, but the idea he is personally racist is a bridge too far. Racism isn't something you are, it is evidenced by actions and outcomes.
    Sorry, but that is utter tosh, based entirely on irrational prejudice, I imagine against the British Empire. You cannot seriously argue that China, or Ancient Rome (with its many thousands of slaves), or ancient Greece, or modern Greece, or pre-Imperial India, or the Aztecs, or tribes in pre-colonial North America, or the Ottoman Empire, or the Russian kingdoms, weren't 'racist' in the sense you describe.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Somebody posted an NFU members poll showing 52% remain 26% leave and 22% don’t know so the myth of all farmers voting leave maybe a bit out. Also the president of the NFU talks more sense on brexit than the ERG/TBP/Johnson and Hunt put together.
    Yes, I posted that. The "farmers voted Brexit" is yet another Brexit falsehood.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Many farmers, incidentally, genuinely do think it would be a good idea if we went back to seasonal eating. Quite whether the Aldi-visiting British public would be as supportive we do not know.
  • Options

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sorry, but that is utter tosh, based entirely on irrational prejudice, I imagine against the British Empire. You cannot seriously argue that China, or Ancient Rome (with its many thousands of slaves), or pre-Imperial India, or the Aztecs, or tribes in pre-colonial North America, or the Ottoman Empire, or the Russian kingdoms, weren't 'racist' in the sense you describe.
    yes, but you could argue that they were not chosen as slaves because they were a different race, simply that they were from a different "tribe", or maybe spoke a different language, or were from a lesser social order. Race as we understand it now is almost certainly a very modern concept.
  • Options

yes, but you could argue that they were not chosen as slaves because they were a different race, simply that they were from a different "tribe", or maybe spoke a different language, or were from a lesser social order. Race as we understand it now is almost certainly a very modern concept.

Isn't it just a difference of the size of the groups which are defined as 'us' vs 'them'?
  • Options

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sorry, but that is utter tosh, based entirely on irrational prejudice, I imagine against the British Empire. You cannot seriously argue that China, or Ancient Rome (with its many thousands of slaves), or pre-Imperial India, or the Aztecs, or tribes in pre-colonial North America, or the Ottoman Empire, or the Russian kingdoms, weren't 'racist' in the sense you describe.
    See, Rome is an interesting one. Their idea of people were "Romans" and "non-Romans". If you were a Roman citizen, that was regardless of the colour of your skin, religion or whatever, as long as you obeyed the rules. Their class system was nuts, and seriously difficult for us modern people to understand, and their notion of race was just completely different to ours.

Modern racism is just that, modern.
  • Options
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    148grss said:

On Trump, although this applies to many others too, it is clear that by 'vice signalling' (i.e that he has racist views) he seeks career advantage - in his case the career being US presidential politics, whereas, for example, with some of our homegrown varieties such as Tommy Robinson or Katie Hopkins it is ego and money.

It is often difficult, and sometimes impossible, with such people to ascertain how racist they actually are (in their hearts and minds) as opposed to it being a front that they have chosen because it profits them.

Questions then begged -

Is it worse or better if you are not as racist as you make out you are?

Or does it not matter because (as you say) it is purely about words and behaviour and outcomes?

My view (I think) is that it does not really matter but, if anything, a non-racist pretending to be racist for personal advantage is that little bit worse than the authentic racist. Because of the added dose of a most appalling brand of cynicism.
This discussion has been closed.