Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Robert Peston suggesting that the battle between Hunt and John

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

I was clearing out my computer last night and came across this header I'd done featuring Boris Johnson. I was far too kind to him but some of the early comments particularly by Eagle were prescient. I was also surprised by how little had changed in three years.....

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/13/the-big-euref-advertising-news-is-that-the-saatchis-are-back/#vanilla-comments

He famously invited the board of British Rail to his agency for a pitch. When they arrived they found ashtrays overflowing a stained carpet and a receptionist filing her nails. After being kept waiting half an hour Marsh appeared and told them that now they knew what it felt like to be a British Rail customer…..they won the account and ‘The Age of the Train’ had arrived.

Not sure I agree with that. He should ave kept them waiting for four hours, given them false information about his progress, blocked up all the toilets and caused the sprinkler system to come on repeatedly while feeding them stale sandwiches and cold tea.

Then he could have said, 'Now, some of your customers experience this. However, if you are not one of the lucky few in London it's much worse.'
    I thought this exchange was interesting. (XXX's to keep JohnO's reputation intact)

XXXXX said:

» show previous quotes
    I think we should wait and see what happens on June 23rd, shouldn't we? My best guess is that the result will be Remain by something like 55-45 (almost identical to the Scottish result). Both Cameron and Salmond had agreed that that settled the matter of independence for a "generation" which is about 15 years or so.

So a narrow victory and a comfortable victory amount to the same thing.

Or are you contending that 55-45, or even 60-40 would mean no re-vote for 41 years?

My point is that if remain win, the leave side can call foul on so many issues. It would have to be a thumping win to put it off for more than 15 years.

That is not a good place to be, as the whole idea of the referendum was to settle the matter for good.
    Who are these Cameron and Salmond characters of whom they speak?
    The post got a bit mangled so I'm not sure who was answering XXX. But in answer to your question...a good time Charlie (by all accounts). Had a one night stand with pig and the other one is out on bail.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:
    What the heck does May think she is doing

It’s not that this - or other of her recent announcements - are bad in themselves but she’s in the process of stepping down

It is utterly inappropriate for her to make these commitments
    Why? She is still PM and has more of an electoral mandate, having fought a general election and emerged as leader of the largest party, than her successor will.
    Because, in all probability, she will not be PM at the end of this month

She's not going to constitute the review panel, set its terms of reference, be there to assess its output or implement any conclusion.

So all she is doing is announcing something, getting people's hopes up, and creating a potential problem for her successor
    Well, considering the problems her successor created for her you can hardly blame her for wanting to hit back.

Johnson has created more problems for the UK than any other politician in the modern era (though Cameron helped him on the way).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2019

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

It’s not that this - or other of her recent announcements - are bad in themselves but she’s in the process of stepping down

It is bizarre.
    I cannot think of a precedent.

That Private Eye cover of May’s achievements - a blank sheet of white paper - must have stung her into action.
    White paper? Plain brown would have done.

She has two legacies. 1. The phrase Brexit means Brexit 2. Boris Johnson
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited July 2019
    Roger said:

Ed Davey on radio 4 is VERY good indeed. A difficult upbringing with a handicapped child. A sympathetic and articulate man. A wonderful contrast to the self absorbed Johnson

I still haven't decided between Jo and Ed.

I agree Ed is very good. I think there is much more room for improvement with Jo. If elected leader, she will get a lot of support and training on voice, difficult questions etc that Ed doesn't need. She will also have Ed's support as the two seem to get along very well.

As the pros and cons are currently finely balanced, and there is upside on Jo's performance I think I favour Jo. Am I over analysing this?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

I don't have a particular problem with either the Brexit party's stunt in the European Parliament yesterday or the Lib Dems'. Nobody was hurt, nobody died. Both sets of attention whores got what they wanted.

A lot of righties seemed DEEPLY hurt that folk were drawing comparisons between the BP Broederbond and NSDAP pols in the 1920s Reichstag.

Of course I don't have a problem with that either.
    While it was a silly protest, that was a silly comparison. There are plenty of instances of back-turning, from NYPD policemen turning their backs on Bill de Blasio to Palestinian protestors turning their backs on the Dutch Chief Rabbi.
    Also Manchester City fans, as a celebration. An act which I believe was originally derived from a protest of some kind.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Roger said:

Ed Davey on radio 4 is VERY good indeed. A difficult upbringing with a handicapped child. A sympathetic and articulate man. A wonderful contrast to the self absorbed Johnson

Mmm. And I bet if he were asked how he relaxes he would just answer the question rather than attempt a facetious 'surrealist comic' routine. I personally can do without that from a politician and it's nothing to do with that politician being the ghastly Johnson. If Barry Gardiner did something similar I would say the same.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    edited July 2019
    Endillion said:

I don't have a particular problem with either the Brexit party's stunt in the European Parliament yesterday or the Lib Dems'. Nobody was hurt, nobody died. Both sets of attention whores got what they wanted.

A lot of righties seemed DEEPLY hurt that folk were drawing comparisons between the BP Broederbond and NSDAP pols in the 1920s Reichstag.

While it was a silly protest, that was a silly comparison. There are plenty of instances of back-turning, from NYPD policemen turning their backs on Bill de Blasio to Palestinian protestors turning their backs on the Dutch Chief Rabbi.
    Also Manchester City fans, as a celebration. An act which I believe was originally derived from a protest of some kind.
    They copied it from the supporters of Lech Poznan who have been doing it since the 60s.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

As I say I don't really have much of a problem with any of it, though robust, thick skinned enemies of political correctness having prolapses at a bit of Godwinism raises a wry smile. Farage's implication that the back turning was a spontaneous yet collective response to Tajani referring to a 'country' (clumsy language rather than some Freudian rush to a United States of Europe) is also most entertaining.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Barnesian said:

I agree Ed is very good. I think there is much more room for improvement with Jo. If elected leader, she will get a lot of support and training on voice, difficult questions etc that Ed doesn't need. She will also have Ed's support as the two seem to get along very well.

As the pros and cons are currently finely balanced, and there is upside on Jo's performance I think I favour Jo. Am I over analysing this?

Neither have I. Ed is very good, no question. He reminds me of Paddy but without all the energy and machismo. Jo is also very good - my concern is if we pick Ed and the Conservatives pick Boris, all three main party leaders will be white men in London seats which will give the Farages of this world a stick with which to beat us. He is already developing a strong anti-London manifesto.

That's not a reason to pick Jo - rather, that's not a reason not to pick Ed (pardon the double negative before some pedant points it out). I just wonder if Jo will get a better hearing beyond the party's core vote. I don't believe for a nanosecond those who voted LEAVE and want a No Deal are irretrievably lost to the LDs - there's more to life than Brexit.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited July 2019
    Barnesian said:

Roger said:

A famous lib dem luminary used to take the private view that if the two candidates are equally as good then why waste the older one when you can keep the younger one for the future.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    stodge said:

Barnesian said:

Neither have I. Ed is very good, no question. He reminds me of Paddy but without all the energy and machismo. Jo is also very good - my concern is if we pick Ed and the Conservatives pick Boris, all three main party leaders will be white men in London seats which will give the Farages of this world a stick with which to beat us. He is already developing a strong anti-London manifesto.

That's not a reason to pick Jo - rather, that's not a reason not to pick Ed (pardon the double negative before some pedant points it out). I just wonder if Jo will get a better hearing beyond the party's core vote. I don't believe for a nanosecond those who voted LEAVE and want a No Deal are irretrievably lost to the LDs - there's more to life than Brexit.
    "there's more to life than Brexit"

Mr Stodge - heresy !
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Endillion said:

They copied it from the supporters of Lech Poznan who have been doing it since the 60s.
    Yeah, I thought I'd read somewhere that they in turn nicked it from someone else who did it as a protest, but can't find the source anymore. Oh well.

On topic, I still have no idea who to vote for. Johnson is clearly a rotten candidate for PM, but I just don't see the point in Hunt, given that he has effectively no workable plan for Brexit, whereas it's just about possible that Johnson gets us all out of this mess through sheer bluster and bravado. Would welcome attempts to convince me otherwise.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Round 1 of election of EU Parliament president

Ska KELLER (Greens, Germany) 133
    Sira REGO (GUE, Spain) 42
    David-Maria SASSOLI (S&D, Italy) 325
    Jan ZAHRADIL (ECR, Czech Republic) 162

73 blanc or invalid

Majority required was 332

New ballot now

I assume the EPP didn't put up a candidate as a result of the deal done this week?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

73 blanc or invalid

New ballot now

I assume the EPP didn't put up a candidate as a result of the deal done this week?
    That's right.
  • Options

As I say I don't really have much of a problem with any of it, though robust, thick skinned enemies of political correctness having prolapses at a bit of Godwinism raises a wry smile. Farage's implication that the back turning was a spontaneous yet collective response to Tajani referring to a 'country' (clumsy language rather than some Freudian rush to a United States of Europe) is also most entertaining.
    The incoming Commission President is on record as calling for a United States of Europe. Presumably that was also "clumsy".
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's the eye for detail that is particularly reassuring:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1146355111792394241
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Why? She is still PM and has more of an electoral mandate, having fought a general election and emerged as leader of the largest party, than her successor will.

She's not going to constitute the review panel, set its terms of reference, be there to assess its output or implement any conclusion.

So all she is doing is announcing something, getting people's hopes up, and creating a potential problem for her successor
    (a) it is unlikely anybody's hopes will be raised by this; (b) this will be the absolute least of Boris Johnson's problems, most of which are self-created.

If May wants to engage in some light trolling of Johnson, given his behaviour, I am not going to seek to deny her.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Charles said:

If you force someone out against their will, you can't reasonably complain if they do things that their potential successor may find inconvenient. That is so not her problem.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

It's the eye for detail that is particularly reassuring:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1146355111792394241

Wasn't Lynton involved with Big Tobacco back in the day? :D
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Back in 1998 former POWs turned their back on Emperor Akihito when he drove through London on a State visit.

It was dignified and made a point.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Charles said:

If you force someone out against their will, you can't reasonably complain if they do things that their potential successor may find inconvenient. That is so not her problem.
    Given the state of the leadership process, I think the Tories should seriously consider keeping her.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Endillion said:

Dura_Ace said:

Endillion said:

Yeah, I thought I'd read somewhere that they in turn nicked it from someone else who did it as a protest, but can't find the source anymore. Oh well.

On topic, I still have no idea who to vote for. Johnson is clearly a rotten candidate for PM, but I just don't see the point in Hunt, given that he has effectively no workable plan for Brexit, whereas it's just about possible that Johnson gets us all out of this mess through sheer bluster and bravado. Would welcome attempts to convince me otherwise.
    It's a very dire choice especially as Hunt has windsocked into mini-Boris. I mean we have to take each candidate and what they say at face value (right, @HYUFD ?) so that leaves bad and worse.

So the question becomes are they duplicitous or just plain stupid.

Gah!!

But I have a vote and I could never vote for Boris so that being said, reluctantly, it has to be hunt. Oh hold on there's a slogan in there...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    stodge said:

Barnesian said:

I'm of the same view. Can't decide and am leaning towards Jo just because she is female which seems like a poor justification.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited July 2019

Charles said:

It's rather undignified though.

I can't remember Fatch, Blair or Cameron behaving like this. It's more the way El Gord would have behaved if one of those Labour Plots had actually been successful [no laughing]
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Completely off topic but interesting: Oregan.

I don't know how many of you have been following Oregan politics recently, but it looks ripe to open up what could easily be the 2nd American Civil war.

Portland has always been a hotbed of fash and antifash clashes, but recently some bad things have gone on. A recent cap and trade bill proposed at the state level had GOP politicians walk out and refuse to provide quorum for the vote. Why is this interesting? Well, the governor has powers to force politicians back to vote. In this case the gov did just that, only to learn the GOP not only had left the state, but had got 3%, Proud Boys and other right wing armed militias to defend them. One elected GOP member said that any state troopers sent after them had "better be bachelors and come heavily armed".

This weekend riots occurred when two different far right groups held rallies in Portland. In what seems to be a coordinated attempt to justify lethal violence against antifascist protesters, some far right people started spreading the currently unevidenced rumour that milkshakes were being prepared with quick drying cement and acid in them to harm people. This led to the police cracking down on anyone with a milkshake AND calls for pre emtive violence on anyone with a milkshake by the far right.

It also seems to be the case that the Proud Boys decided to fly in members from across the US to go to people's houses they had learned were members of antifa and intimidate them. (https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1146160415052902401)

This sort of stuff isn't happening everywhere in the US. Yet. But I think it will become more common, and will spill over to the culture wars brewing here in the UK.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

What it reminded me off was Mexico City. 1968. The Olympic Games and the medal ceremony for the men's 400m. Who can forget John Carlos and Tommie Smith, heads bowed, fists raised in black gloves? A major symbolic moment in the struggle of America's black community for emancipation from structural racism.

So here, the struggle may be different - the emancipation of every freeborn Englishman from the yoke of Brussels - but it is every bit as noble and important.

We salute these brave men.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1146326433222012928

Not sure I understand these numbers. Maybe it is my hangover this morning (a few ales over the footy), but how can 37% of men and 37% of women have voted BXP, when they polled 30%?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

... reluctantly, it has to be hunt. Oh hold on there's a slogan in there...

Every time I see it I find myself wondering what Toby Hunt may have done.

I tend to agree with your analysis. Mostly so when Johnson's premiership turns out to be a disaster I can at least take comfort in the fact that I didn't vote for it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Charles said:

She 'resigned'. Its not for her to determine the future, if she wanted to she shouldn't have resigned and should have stayed to fight.

It is utterly inappropriate to be announcing things now, she should be batting away issues as being for her successor to determine and if she wanted to really be awkward suggest that the candidates to be her successor get asked about these subjects.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Endillion said:

The incoming Commission President is on record as calling for a United States of Europe. Presumably that was also "clumsy".
    Fuck knows, but I was referring to a particular incident and context. If Farage & Co want to walk around backwards for their entire tenure to protest further EUrification, I implore them to fill their boots.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I don't know how many of you have been following Oregan politics recently, but it looks ripe to open up what could easily be the 2nd American Civil war.

Portland has always been a hotbed of fash and antifash clashes, but recently some bad things have gone on. A recent cap and trade bill proposed at the state level had GOP politicians walk out and refuse to provide quorum for the vote. Why is this interesting? Well, the governor has powers to force politicians back to vote. In this case the gov did just that, only to learn the GOP not only had left the state, but had got 3%, Proud Boys and other right wing armed militias to defend them. One elected GOP member said that any state troopers sent after them had "better be bachelors and come heavily armed".

This weekend riots occurred when two different far right groups held rallies in Portland. In what seems to be a coordinated attempt to justify lethal violence against antifascist protesters, some far right people started spreading the currently unevidenced rumour that milkshakes were being prepared with quick drying cement and acid in them to harm people. This led to the police cracking down on anyone with a milkshake AND calls for pre emtive violence on anyone with a milkshake by the far right.

It also seems to be the case that the Proud Boys decided to fly in members from across the US to go to people's houses they had learned were members of antifa and intimidate them. (https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1146160415052902401)

This sort of stuff isn't happening everywhere in the US. Yet. But I think it will become more common, and will spill over to the culture wars brewing here in the UK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/us/portland-protests-mayor-cruz.html
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

Dura_Ace said:

Endillion said:

It's a very dire choice especially as Hunt has windsocked into mini-Boris. I mean we have to take each candidate and what they say at face value (right, @HYUFD ?) so that leaves bad and worse.

Gah!!

But I have a vote and I could never vote for Boris so that being said, reluctantly, it has to be hunt. Oh hold on there's a slogan in there...
    I don't have a vote, though I did in the past and voted for Cameron. But I have to say that if you're backing Hunt that re-emphasises why he is inappropriate and lets hope the members back Boris. Is there a slogan in there?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1146326433222012928

Not sure I understand these numbers. Maybe it is my hangover this morning (a few ales over the footy), but how can 37% of men and 37% of women have voted BXP, when they polled 30%?

Yes it looks very odd - BXP can't have scored 38% in England and 37% in Wales if they only got 32% overall.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    stodge said:

Because no-one would mistake Nigel Farage for a White, male Londoner?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
    Endillion said:

Oh dear, not the old United States of Europe paranoia again! why not mention bananas? There will never be a "United States of Europe" while a country called France and a country called Germany exist, and seeing as they are both the driving forces behind the whole project it is not going to happen. It only exists in the minds of a minority of Euro-enthusiasts. It is about as real as the crap that most Brexiteers come out with.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

Dura_Ace said:

Endillion said:

Gah!!

I don't have a vote, though I did in the past and voted for Cameron. But I have to say that if you're backing Hunt that re-emphasises why he is inappropriate and lets hope the members back Boris. Is there a slogan in there?
    Yes there is: Philip Thompson is a twat.

Not as catchy but covers most things.
  • Options

148grss said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/us/portland-protests-mayor-cruz.html
    Scary. The far right is on the march, and needs to be faced down with absolute resolution. I have nothing but disgust for people like Farage or Johnson who sit down with Bannon and other 'ethno nationalists'.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Endillion said:

Pretty much what you'd expect - it's a common belief in Brussels.

That's basically what's on offer: ever-closer union, and a gradual abolition of the nation states of Europe. Frankly, there's an argument for it ..... but nobody here is making it. We just get the pretence that remaining would mean the status quo.
  • Options
    Can anyone confirm that Nigel Farage has got German passports for his kids? If that is so it is the ultimate in hypocrisy. He wants to deny the rights of millions of young Britons to membership of the EU, but wants to keep them for his kids?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

Dura_Ace said:

Endillion said:

Gah!!

I try not to go to personal insult, but for you I will make an exception. You really are very intellectually challenged!
  • Options

Quite but that isn't the point. TBP are going on a very anti-London platform - apparently all the problems of the glorious UK are vested in this thriving cesspit of eight million or so people.

It's hard for me to say but is there really such strong feeling against "that London" ? We are, apparently, the hotbed of metropolitan elite liberalism so my betters tell me.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Foremain, jein, that's a dual national issue (I once had an odd but pleasant evening chatting in German to a Chinese-German fellow in a tapas restaurant in Shanghai).

For those wondering, Chinese dual nationals are exempt from the one-child policy.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed, it's irresponsible.
    I wonder if she is planning to be a more activist former PM than Cameron and others.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Andrew said:

Endillion said:

Pretty much what you'd expect - it's a common belief in Brussels.

That's basically what's on offer: ever-closer union, and a gradual abolition of the nation states of Europe. Frankly, there's an argument for it ..... but nobody here is making it. We just get the pretence that remaining would mean the status quo.
    The nation states of Britain were abolished a long time ago, so perhaps people here just take it for granted.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    stodge said:

Barnesian said:

My mental processes are going like this:

- Jo seems to have more "pull" to the less involved (showing the campaign videos to my daughter and my wife, both of whom are non-political-obsessives, both plumped for Jo (although saying Ed seemed good as well).

- Gaining media coverage is a perennial issue for the Lib Dems. Although Jo does well when covered, the media deciding to cover her is a challenge. As Leader, that becomes easier.

- Ed does well when covered as well, and with the climate change issue becoming more prominent and his role during the Coalition (decarbonising the UK faster than any other developed country while not damaging growthand getting other countries (especially the EU) to sign up to more challenging targets than before), he has a good shot at getting that coverage even if not Leader

- The media love covering Layla already, so if Jo was Leader, and Ed and Layla had prominent positions, we'd have (if all went well) no fewer than three good shots at getting strong coverage, by people with good prospects at getting cut-through.

Thus I'm leaning towards Jo.
  • Options

stodge said:

No point trying to rationalize these things when it comes to BXP. They harp on about the elite and career politicians and yet leading figures include Mogg's sister, Anne Widdecombe (god knows how long she was a career politician!) and Richard Tice.
  • Options

I try not to go to personal insult, but for you I will make an exception. You really are very intellectually challenged!

Ouch that really hurt. Or not.

Either way though like Avengers we seem to be coming to the Endgame now. And while you diehard Remainers may be wannabe Thanos's wishing to write off half the population I think we shall find that those who believe in freedoms will win.

(I've not actually seen Avengers Endgame so apologies if I totally mangled that).
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
  • Options

Endillion said:

Oh dear, not the old United States of Europe paranoia again! why not mention bananas? There will never be a "United States of Europe" while a country called France and a country called Germany exist, and seeing as they are both the driving forces behind the whole project it is not going to happen. It only exists in the minds of a minority of Euro-enthusiasts. It is about as real as the crap that most Brexiteers come out with.
    To be clear: I didn't invent the term "United States of Europe", nor was I even the first to mention it in this exchange. It is an actual policy that actual politicians holding actual senior jobs within the EU and nation state governments actually (say they) want to happen. You may think they're unlikely to get their will, or dismiss them as an irrelevant minority or whatever. But that doesn't translate into the rest of us being paranoid, just because we're taking them at their word and you're much too clever for that.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/charles-michel-profile-youngest-belgian-pm-since-1845-1.3944635

I don't think "Little Louis" is going to be as concerned about the UK as Tusk was. He will want the UK out aussi vite que possible.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

The manner of her departure defines her

Previously she was limited, unimaginative and out of her depth. Now she’s foolish and vainglorious as well.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200

Either way though like Avengers we seem to be coming to the Endgame now. And while you diehard Remainers may be wannabe Thanos's wishing to write off half the population I think we shall find that those who believe in freedoms will win.

(I've not actually seen Avengers Endgame so apologies if I totally mangled that).
    Infinity War, but they meet Thanos again in Endgame.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Endillion said:

In the Elysée and the Chancellery, they don't fantasise abotu an USE.

But in Brussels, the whole concept gets a life of its own. There are many more people fully committed to the unity of the EU there than in any national government.

The failure to distinguish between the two is a matter of constant frustration.
  • Options

In a nutshell.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Every other metric shows support for Brexit declining, so it would be logical that there is a corresponding shift among Tory Party members.

Yesterdays display by Farage in the EU was unnnecessarily provocative but what on earth were the Lib Dems thinking off with their childish and crass t shirts.

They also need to grow up
    Totally agree - in some respects the LibDems are just as extreme as the Brexit Party and ERG MPs as reflected in their unwillingness to compromise.
  • Options

If it helps, Thanos gets his way in Infinity War, initially wins, and does write off half the population.
    The moaning Avengers don't like this and get to undo it for a second shot at Thanos in Endgame.

Analogy-wise, it might not be pointing in the best direction for you.
  • Options

If it helps, Thanos gets his way in Infinity War, initially wins, and does write off half the population.
    The moaning Avengers don't like this and get to undo it for a second shot at Thanos in Endgame.

I assumed that, which is why I said that the Remainers were Thanos . . .
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    justin124 said:

Every other metric shows support for Brexit declining, so it would be logical that there is a corresponding shift among Tory Party members.

Yesterdays display by Farage in the EU was unnnecessarily provocative but what on earth were the Lib Dems thinking off with their childish and crass t shirts.

They also need to grow up
    Totally agree - in some respects the LibDems are just as extreme as the Brexit Party and ERG MPs as reflected in their unwillingness to compromise.
    What compromise? back in 2016;EEA/EFTA would have been acceptable, just, but it was not pure enough for those who claimed to represent the 52%. The WA is not compromise and disliked in many different places. So how are remainers supposed to compromise?
  • Options
    I mean, if the UoE were somewhat like the USA or Germanies federal system, what would be the downside? Texans, Californians and Floridians all have their own unique identity, cultures and even legal frameworks, and can work together to be the USA and have clout across the globe. Sure, that means Cali has to listen to Nebraska, but for Nebraska it's a pretty good deal. The only reason people propose against an ever closer union is culture; well we're different and can't / shouldn't be closer and really if my vote and a Frenchies vote goes to the same place, what's the point?

But a Stokie and a Liverpudlian could also make that argument of England; why does England exist? A Scot or Welshman could make that case (and do); why is there a Britain or UK (and why was there a British Empire)?

I think a UoE in some form or other is inevitable, as is a united world (as long as civilisation doesn't collapse due to climate change or war with nukes).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Not much talk about the dismal PMIs on here this morning:

https://twitter.com/WilliamsonChris/status/1146336633358364672
  • Options

Yeah, I don't think that works. Thanos won in Infinity War.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Brexito sclerosis.
  • Options

Yeah, I don't think that works. Thanos won in Infinity War.
    Indeed with the Infinity War being our ongoing membership of the EU which we still haven't been able to escape yet, with the Leave half of the population consistently written off by the Thanos-Remainers.

When it comes to the Endgame hopefully Boris and the Avengers can save us. ;)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I hadn't realised the EU had a national anthem which you're meant to stand for. Does NATO?

Highlighting the fact won't do any harm.

For a bit of light relief …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kXIGvB1uU
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    England won the toss and elected to win
  • Options

Personally, I'm reaching the 'what's the point' point with all this. We could be eating our own pets and drinking dirty rain water and still the ultra Brexiteers would be saying it is fake news and Project Fear.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    stodge said:

Quite but that isn't the point. TBP are going on a very anti-London platform - apparently all the problems of the glorious UK are vested in this thriving cesspit of eight million or so people.

It's hard for me to say but is there really such strong feeling against "that London" ? We are, apparently, the hotbed of metropolitan elite liberalism so my betters tell me.

London is the new Europe. You could blame all of your ills on the Evil European Empire. After Brexit that becomes more difficult, so you start blaming London instead.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

England won the toss and elected to win

About time, better than constantly electing to choke on the chase.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited July 2019
    The ditching of the spitzenkandidaten system reinforces the power of the Council versus the Commission/Parliament.

In turn, that moves the needle back toward the “nation state” model of Europe.

From my limited reading, I suspect Von der Leyden will not be a success - just has Juncker has not been - but that’s a separate point.
  • Options

stodge said:

London is the new Europe. You could blame all of your ills on the Evil European Empire. After Brexit that becomes more difficult, so you start blaming London instead.
    It'll end up it all being the fault of anyone who is not an active member of BXP.
  • Options

Personally, I'm reaching the 'what's the point' point with all this. We could be eating our own pets and drinking dirty rain water and still the ultra Brexiteers would be saying it is fake news and Project Fear.
    Memo to self: buy a dog.
  • Options

stodge said:

Even Londoners blame London.

There is no doubt that London / Southern centric policies, media etc are fostering animosity, but then people will make that animosity mean whatever they want. Many try to make it London versus "real England" (ie working/middle class small c conservative white people) when actually outside of London is still pretty diverse and willing to be lefty too.

The fact the North of England doesn't have a decent train system from getting east to west and HS2 is being built is a travesty. The fact we talk about the housing crisis is solely because of the South, in may cities in the North the issue is empty houses no one wants to buy because why would they, where are the jobs meaning people can afford to own them and hold down a family? These are things lefty policies are more likely to deal with than the market.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Has anyone asked Phil about whom he prefers in the current Dem line up?

https://twitter.com/darrenrichman/status/1146163741383376896
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Interesting thread header.

I spoke to a Tory member on Sunday who had favoured Boris Johnson, however after seeing Boris Johnson in the media and his poor speaking style, my friend now favours Hunt. This is because Hunt is articulate, looks and behaves like a statesman and has a good temprement. My friend talks about these things with other members who are also members of the Tory party. Things may well be moving toward Hunt!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618

You did mangle it. Thanos wins in Infinity War but loses in Endgame.
    (Oh, spoilers, whatevs... :) )
  • Options
    Jezza asks a decent question shock!
  • Options
    148grss said:

I mean, if the UoE were somewhat like the USA or Germanies federal system, what would be the downside? Texans, Californians and Floridians all have their own unique identity, cultures and even legal frameworks, and can work together to be the USA and have clout across the globe. Sure, that means Cali has to listen to Nebraska, but for Nebraska it's a pretty good deal. The only reason people propose against an ever closer union is culture; well we're different and can't / shouldn't be closer and really if my vote and a Frenchies vote goes to the same place, what's the point?

But a Stokie and a Liverpudlian could also make that argument of England; why does England exist? A Scot or Welshman could make that case (and do); why is there a Britain or UK (and why was there a British Empire)?

I think a UoE in some form or other is inevitable, as is a united world (as long as civilisation doesn't collapse due to climate change or war with nukes).

The foundation of democracy is the deme. A deme comes from shared history, culture and language.

The problem with the EU is that it is a top down project rather than coming from the bottom up. Everyone does a good talk about solidarity but when it goes pear-shaped each nation is for themselves. The Germans are not willing for fiscal transfers to the Greeks. The East Europeans were not willing to share Germany's migrants.

The US was much more culturally homogenous than Europe but even then it had a civil war.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Due to a lack of time today I haven't read the comments on here but many Tory members are concerned about Boris for the exact reasons mentioned in the header piece. Some I have spoken to say in an ideal world he wouldn't even have been their second or third choice let alone first. However despite all that they have nowhere else to go so my reading is it will still be Boris or bust.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

And walks into his own trap.

No deal will be disaster, and he voted for it 3 times
  • Options
    viewcode said:

You did mangle it. Thanos wins in Infinity War but loses in Endgame.
    (Oh, spoilers, whatevs... :) )
    And I was suggesting that Remainers have won to date in frustrating Brexit to date and in writing off half the population, but would lose in Endgame as we actually exit.
  • Options
    Blimey. A PMQs that covers proper urgent issues.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Scott_P said:

And walks into his own trap.

No deal will be disaster, and he voted for it 3 times
    Only by the same logic that says he voted to Remain 3 times.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Norm said:

Due to a lack of time today I haven't read the comments on here but many Tory members are concerned about Boris for the exact reasons mentioned in the header piece. Some I have spoken to say in an ideal world he wouldn't even have been their second or third choice let alone first. However despite all that they have nowhere else to go so my reading is it will still be Boris or bust.

Surely Boris and bust?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    PMQs would be better without the PM & LotO making speeches.
  • Options
    Jezza giving a hint of the way a decent parliamentary performer like Brown or Cook would have destroyed this shower of a government by now.
  • Options
    Did Jezza just commit to a 2nd vote?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Scott_P said:
    So both Boris and Hunt ahead of both Corbyn and Farage as preferred PM, the most accurate measure of general election success
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    TM did well today putting Corbyn back in his box

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Only by the same logic that says he voted to Remain 3 times.

Voting against the deal hasn't led to remain, it has led to no deal.

So no, not by any logic did he vote for remain 3 times
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2019

73 blanc or invalid

New ballot now

Yes. Same for Renew.
    Deal was actually for an Eastern European Socialists (a Bulgarian was the likely candidate they had in mind). But Socialist group was quite pissed last night because of the other nominations and they stick with their original choice.

Round 2

Ska KELLER (Greens, Germany) 119 (-14)
    Sira REGO (GUE, Spain) 43 (+1)
    David-Maria SASSOLI (S&D, Italy) 345 (+20)
    Jan ZAHRADIL (ECR, Czech Republic) 160 (-2)

Sassoli is elected

This discussion has been closed.