Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The looming fork in the road and the path many MPs will have t

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

As discussed at length on PB for weeks now! Good to see others catching us up :smiley:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1145272739919519744

It’s a very well-researched article.
    It is a top team at UCL. I met Robert Hazell once, a few years ago. Deeply impressive knowledge.
    I noticed this at the end:
    "The Unit is recruiting a Research Assistant to assist Meg in her work on parliament and Brexit. Applications close on 14 July. Additional details can be found here."

I'm sure there are a few people here who could teach them a thing or two ;-)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,103
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

For example unlimited immigration from the EU. To focus on 3 impacts:

(1) increased

1 - blaming immigrants for government cuts

2 - blaming immigrants for government failures in education

3 - blaming immigrants for government failures to reform the welfare system

We will still have high-levels of immigration post-Brexit and immigrants will still be blamed for all the problems our own choices and our politicians create.

With the exception of the Fens, the areas that voted Leave are areas of low inward EU migration. They are either places like the Welsh valleys with net population decline or Northern towns where the migrants are nearly all non EU.

The idea that stopping EU migration would improve economic prospects in Ebbw Vale or Wigan is poppycock. The only way it would help would be if those Britons fancied pulling cabbages in the Fens or working in Social Care in the South East, by internally migrating.

The answers lie elsewhere, not least in the form of redistributive regional policies like those of the EU. There seems little enthusiasm for that amongst PB Brexiteers, and in any case it does not require Brexit.
    So the thousands of Eastern European Roma who have migrated to Rotherham and other parts of South Yorkshire don't exist ?

Now you might be right that restricting immigration might not improve things in Ebbw Vale or Wigan but it might very well stop things from getting worse.
    No but the Roma are numerically small compared with the Non EU migrants.

How will stopping EU migration slow the decline of Ebbw Vale? I do not follow.
    I'm not saying that stopping EU migration will slow the decline of Ebbw Vale rather that not stopping it may speed the decline.

And the Roma are not numerically small in the areas they move to - have thousands of them moving to Rotherham benefited Rotherham or not ?

As I've said before immigration is a class issue.

How many of those earlier non-EU immigrants to northern mill towns were of low education working class origin ?

Now compare those immigrants who were of educated middle class background - the Ugandan Asians for example.

Which group of immigrants have been more successful in this country ?

So does allowing free migration of low educated deprived people to areas of the UK with problems of deprivation and low education help or not ?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

People who say “Brexit won’t solve this” are both right and missing the point.

As things stand, our politicians are restricted in their ability to fix the problems and are insulated from the consequences of their failure (it’s very easy for them to blame “Europe”)

Post Brexit they will have nowhere to hide. I hope the voters will hold them accountable for their failures.

How are out politicians restricted in fixing the problems?

(1) increased from other uses

(2) limitation generation

(3) interplay to reform

1 - blaming

So wh

Nope - rights.

So how do thousands of East European Roma migrating to Rotherham put less strain on public services ?

And I'm not sure how many people take up the reciprocal right to migrate to Slovakia.

EU immigration is a class issue - the further up the socioeconomic scale the more advantages you receive from it while suffering the fewer disadvantages.

Support for it is a willingness for economic power to be transferred to the wealthy at the expenses of the deprived.

Very few migrate to Slovakia. Many migrate to other parts of Europe. That's the great thing, you see, the reciprocal right covers 30+ countries.

As for the class thing - a working class pensioner being looked after by a young migrant from Poland is benefiting hugely from EU immigration, as is the working class factory worker being treated by a Dutch doctor.

EU immigration is not all about gypsies and nannies. In fact, they are a vanishingly small part of the picture.

We have been extraordinary lucky to attract the best and brightest of migrants from across Europe.

Apart from anything else they have helped with our demographics. Without migrants, the country will age more rapidly and there’ll be less workers to support the retired.

Having said that, successive governments have shown no interest in addressing the “downsides”: the need for more infrastructure, the uptick in the “Roma with a Big Issue” syndrome, and the undoubted ease with which our non-contributory welfare system can be gamed by a very small minority.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

I voted for an
    It’s indirect but that’s the way the system works here.

If I don’t like what Cecilia Malstrom does how do I change my vote to indicate that?
    You voted for an MEP. In the same way as voting for an MP, voting for an MEP helps select the ultimate make-up of the European Parliament, which in turn has control over the next Commission president, who in turn chooses the Commissioners.

It’s a strikingly similar system. You just have an irrational visceral hostility to the EU which leads you to make such idiotic remarks.
    Except that we do not have pan-European

So lay off the personal invective. It’s unpleasant and diminishes you.
    It’s not clear whether you would prefer “pan European parties with single programmes”, but there’s nothing in the E.U. setup to prevent that.
    I believe they don’t exist because we don’t have a single European demos.
    We don’t.
    Which I think you’d suggest is a good thing?

So basically, you’re kvetching about something which follows from a condition of which you approve.
    No - I’m saying that we don’t have effective democratic oversight of the Commission. I think that’s a problem, but the conditions don’t exist for an appropriate resolution
    As pointed out above, we elect MEPs to do that.

Unfortunately, our media is totally uninterested in the goings on in Europe (unless myth-making about banana curvature) and we elect MEPs with the worst attendance records in Europe.

Lift the lid on any Brexit myth and it turns out the problem is actually in our own control.

(With the noted and significant exception of immigration, but even that is not a one-way story).
    “Effective” is the key word.

If 100% of British voters voted for a Marxist government we could still end up with an EPP-led Commission.

That’s a problem in my view.

If we had a single demos then that wouldn’t arise. But we don’t, and without one I don’t see how that issue is resolved.
    A convincing case for Scottish independence there.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

As discussed at length on PB for weeks now! Good to see others catching us up :smiley:

This line stood out: The Commons could choose to hold a last-minute vote to change the summer recess, but it would be more sensible to face this reality now.

There aren't many certainties in politics at the moment, but I'm confident that the MPs will bury their heads in the sand for the next three weeks.
    One of the complications is that the required later recess could be a day or two, if the new PM achieves confidence at least for the time being, or up to two weeks if he doesn’t.
    The article goes on to suggest that confidence may be more likely to be granted in July because the MPs want their holidays. That's probably a fair assessment.
    Yep. I was fully expecting Johnson not be given PMship because he doesn't command confidence, but I had not factored in the holiday issue. The never-Boris Tories will come up with an excuse, I think, to delay until the hols are over.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Jonathan said:

Loving Charles’ argument that we needed to leave the EU because it wasn’t integrated enough.

The smell of straws clutched. The truth is simpler, he (and many others) are nostalgic for a utopian view of the past. They want their country back. They want to take back control. They want to make Britain great again.

Sure. With the current set up there is a lack of democratic oversight. You either need to be much more integrated with greater oversight or to have a much looser relationship.

I wish we could have ended up with some form of associate membership but because of the failings of politicians on all sides that opportunity had been lost (for now)

Given the choice of complete integration or separation, I thought the latter was in the UK’s best interests
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:
    I never voted for her or the alternative candidate for the position

You believe there is a European demos. I disagree.
    Did you vote for Liam Fox?
    I voted for an MP

If a majority of MPs support an individual they become PM

The PM selects his/her government

If I don’t like what Liam Fox does then I vote against the MP who supported him.

It’s indirect but that’s the way the system works here.

If I don’t like what Cecilia Malstrom does how do I change my vote to indicate that?
    You voted for an MEP. In the same way as voting for an MP, voting for an MEP helps select the ultimate make-up of the European Parliament, which in turn has control over the next Commission president, who in turn chooses the Commissioners.

It’s a strikingly similar system. You just have an irrational visceral hostility to the EU which leads you to make such idiotic remarks.
    Except that we do not have pan-European parties with single programmes. I dislike coalitions because people don’t get to make an informed choice.

Incidentally, you claim I have a “visceral hatred of the EU”. I don’t - as it happens I don’t hate anything or anyone as it is an entirely negative emotion - I just don’t think it was the right political structure for the U.K. going forward

You don’t think it’s the right structure but just about everything you say about the EU is based on gross inaccuracies or lazy simplifications. eg your latest error is to ignore the fact that the European Parliament has pan-European groupings with common prospectuses. See, eg:

https://www.epp.eu/files/uploads/2019/05/EPP-MANIFESTO-2019.pdf
    https://www.aldeparty.eu/sites/alde/files/40-Resolutions/2019_freedom_opportunity_prosperity_the_liberal_vision_for_the_future_of_europe_0.pdf
    https://www.pes.eu/en/manifesto2019/

For a man who affects to be a desiccated calculating machine about the decision to Leave, you sure give the impression of someone working on irrational visceral feelings.
    How many votes in the last E.U. election were cast on the basis of those manifestos in your view?
    It would be more graceful to admit that you were wrong.

I’m not. You’re arguing form. I’m arguing reality.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Good article this, with one key insight - Farage is in charge of Tory Brexit policy, not Johnson:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/29/passions-blowing-boris-johnson-into-no-10-could-yet-bring-him-down

The other perceptive insight is the sense of euphoria the tory members must be feeling as they lurch right and tool up for the culture war. For decades the members, who are mainly old, white, fucked-in-the-head men, have seen their opinions on multi-multiculturalism, LGBTQ+ issues, feminism and whether the Rover 800 is a good car swept away by waves of progressive liberalism. Now they are free to dismiss such notions as the deliria of the woke.
    So after brexit what is next? Obviously a war on red tape which limits rich people from getting richer by imposing standards. An excuse for dramatically lower personal and corporation tax in the name of stimulating the bank accounts of rich people probably ...and then what?
    Your own prejudices are showing through

I’d expect a cut in DfID’s budget (although this can be funded through eliminating the c £1.5bn contribution to the E.U. international development aid, but who cares about double counting)

Probably increased defence spending, reform of business rates (to help small businesses), support for farmers, transport infrastructure investment that sort of thing.

Small town England is instinctively suspicious of “big ideas”
    Like Brexit?
    The “big idea” was ever closer union.

Small town England said “no thanks”
    We should leave them to wallow in their own muck
    You should.
    You could.
    But you didn't... :(
    But we hopefully will soon
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

As for the class thing - a working class pensioner being looked after by a young migrant from Poland is benefiting hugely from EU immigration, as is the working class factory worker being treated by a Dutch doctor.

Though if we opened up our medical schools, the working class factory worker might become a doctor herself, and not need the Dutch quack.

One reason the NHS is so dependent on immigrant doctors and nurses is simply that we do not train enough of them here.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    This is the critical paragraph of that article:

As the Cabinet Manual puts it, ‘governments are expected by convention to observe discretion in initiating any new action of a continuing or long-term character in the period immediately preceding an election’ (paragraph 2.27). Paragraph 2.29 explains that this means deferring major policy decisions. Since the only way to defer ‘no deal’ would be to ask the EU for an extension, convention would demand that the Prime Minister do this – even if he chose to go into the election campaigning for ‘no deal’.

I disagree with this. The Commons voted for No Deal by default when they voted to trigger A50. Requesting a further extension to A50 would be a major policy decision.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Except that we do

It’s not clear whether you would prefer “pan European parties with single programmes”, but there’s nothing in the E.U. setup to prevent that.
    We don’t.

So basically, you’re kvetching about something which follows from a condition of which you approve.
    No - I’m saying that we don’t have effective democratic oversight of the Commission. I think that’s a problem, but the conditions don’t exist for an appropriate resolution

Unfortunately, our media is totally uninterested in the goings on in Europe (unless myth-making about banana curvature) and we elect MEPs with the worst attendance records in Europe.

Lift the lid on any Brexit myth and it turns out the problem is actually in our own control.

(With the noted and significant exception of immigration, but even that is not a one-way story).

If 100% of British voters voted for a Marxist government we could still end up with an EPP-led Commission.

If we had a single demos then that wouldn’t arise. But we don’t, and without one I don’t see how that issue is resolved.
    As far as I’m concerned it’s the only argument for Scottish independence that matters.

I think we have a single GB wide demos (sometimes not sure about NI 😉) but ultimately that’s up to the Scots to decide.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2019
    England vs India:

England 202/1, 30 overs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/47483578
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

As the Cabinet Manual puts it, ‘governments are expected by convention to observe discretion in initiating any new action of a continuing or long-term character in the period immediately preceding an election’ (paragraph 2.27). Paragraph 2.29 explains that this means deferring major policy decisions. Since the only way to defer ‘no deal’ would be to ask the EU for an extension, convention would demand that the Prime Minister do this – even if he chose to go into the election campaigning for ‘no deal’.

I disagree with this. The Commons voted for No Deal by default when they voted to trigger A50. Requesting a further extension to A50 would be a major policy decision.

One of those statements that reflects one view of the formal position but not the political or real world reality. Carrying on as we are for a little longer isn’t a major change; crashing out is.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2019
    AndyJS said:

England vs India:

England 202/1, 30 overs.

Where have they been hiding all tournament?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,735
    Hard to imagine we would not have had significant influence in this choice:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/merkel-backs-real-lead-candidates-tipping-timmermans-and-weber-for-top-eu-jobs/

The reality is that the EU will continue to wield outsize influence on us after we have left. In whatever manner.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/merkel-backs-real-lead-candidates-tipping-timmermans-and-weber-for-top-eu-jobs/

The reality is that the EU will continue to wield outsize influence on us after we have left. In whatever manner.

We didn’t in the past
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited June 2019
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Except that we do not have pan-European parties with single programmes. I dislike coalitions because people don’t get to make an informed choice.

Incidentally, you claim I have a “visceral hatred of the EU”. I don’t - as it happens I don’t hate anything or anyone as it is an entirely negative emotion - I just don’t think it was the right political structure for the U.K. going forward

You don’t think it’s the right structure but just about everything you say about the EU is based on gross inaccuracies or lazy simplifications. eg your latest error is to ignore the fact that the European Parliament has pan-European groupings with common prospectuses. See, eg:

https://www.aldeparty.eu/sites/alde/files/40-Resolutions/2019_freedom_opportunity_prosperity_the_liberal_vision_for_the_future_of_europe_0.pdf

For a man who affects to be a desiccated calculating machine about the decision to Leave, you sure give the impression of someone working on irrational visceral feelings.
    How many votes in the last E.U. election were cast on the basis of those manifestos in your view?
    So, to conclude, the European executive is controlled in a strikingly similar way by the European Parliament to the way the UK Parliament controls the British executive (contrary to your first airy assertion) with groupings elected under pan-European manifestos (contrary to your second airy assertion). But because you don’t pay attention to any of this stuff, you’re justified in disregarding it.
  • Options

So how do thousands of East European Roma migrating to Rotherham put less strain on public services ?

And I'm not sure how many people take up the reciprocal right to migrate to Slovakia.

EU immigration is a class issue - the further up the socioeconomic scale the more advantages you receive from it while suffering the fewer disadvantages.

Support for it is a willingness for economic power to be transferred to the wealthy at the expenses of the deprived.

Very few migrate to Slovakia. Many migrate to other parts of Europe. That's the great thing, you see, the reciprocal right covers 30+ countries.

EU immigration is not all about gypsies and nannies. In fact, they are a vanishingly small part of the picture.

We have been extraordinary lucky to attract the best and brightest of migrants from across Europe.

Apart from anything else they have helped with our demographics. Without migrants, the country will age more rapidly and there’ll be less workers to support the retired.

Having said that, successive governments have shown no interest in addressing the “downsides”: the need for more infrastructure, the uptick in the “Roma with a Big Issue” syndrome, and the undoubted ease with which our non-contributory welfare system can be gamed by a very small minority.
    Are the thousands of Eastern European Roma who have migrated to Rotherham the 'best and brightest' ?

And though they are at the extreme end of the scale few of the working class areas of the UK will be seeing many of the 'best and brightest' either.

Make it easier for the 'best and brightest' from around the world to move to working class areas while restricting the less desirable immigrants and you'll see a changed view on immigration and an improvement in the economy in those areas.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,924
    tlg86 said:

I’m inclined to agree with you on this, which gives a very narrow window at the start of September for a late-October election.

An early-November election, with no clear direction indicated by Parliament of the extension question before dissolution, would be yet another constitutional nightmare - there might even be pressure on the opposition parties to abstain on the dissolution vote.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

One of those statements that reflects one view of the formal position but not the political or real world reality. Carrying on as we are for a little longer isn’t a major change; crashing out is.
    By September the MPs would have had over five months to "do something" that avoids No Deal on 31 October. They cannot complain if the incumbent PM lets the clock run out when they've had plenty of time to change the direction of travel.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

England vs India:

England 202/1, 30 overs.

That’s gonna be close to 400.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

England vs India:

England 202/1, 30 overs.

No, we could easily lose momentum from here.
    India have realised how to bowl on this pitch.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

England vs India:

England 202/1, 30 overs.

If they don't, you better get ready for a month banished to ConHome...

Jonny out...pack your bags...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

We didn’t in the past
    And ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

rks.
    Except that we do

hat.
    We don’t.

As far as I’m concerned it’s the only argument for Scottish independence that matters.

I think we have a single GB wide demos (sometimes not sure about NI 😉) but ultimately that’s up to the Scots to decide.
    The reality is that you can’t apply that logic by bundling all decisions into the same framework; some matters (a lot more, as it happens) should properly be decided at local or even hyper-local,level; other issues require international co-operation. At all levels, the more there is democratic accountability the better.

Our current setup is deficient principally because there are insufficient or flawed mechanisms for ensuring that accountability at both EU and national level, and because our system of local government remains under national government control in terms of its structure, governance and financing.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941

Though if we opened up our medical schools, the working class factory worker might become a doctor herself, and not need the Dutch quack.

One reason the NHS is so dependent on immigrant doctors and nurses is simply that we do not train enough of them here.

Yep - that's a decision that we have made.

• Options

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

People who say “Brexit won’t solve this” are both right and missing the point.

As things stand, our politicians are restricted in their ability to fix the problems and are insulated from the consequences of their failure (it’s very easy for them to blame “Europe”)

Post Brexit they will have nowhere to hide. I hope the voters will hold them accountable for their failures.

How are out politicians restricted in fixing the problems?

(1) increased from other uses

(2) limitation generation

(3) interplay to reform

1 - blaming immigrants for government cuts

2 - blaming immigrants for government failures in education

3 - blaming immigrants for government failures to reform the welfare system

We will still have high-levels of immigration post-Brexit and immigrants will still be blamed for all the problems our own choices and our politicians create.

So what you're advocating is control of immigration and forcing UK governments to take responsibility for the failure of UK education and welfare systems.

You can add failures of housing policy as well.

Nope - rights.

I suspect that Dutch doctors migrating to the UK are an even smaller part of the picture.

And just because Eastern European Roma are a vanishingly small part of the picture from Royal Leamington Spa doesn't mean that applies in Rotherham.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

England vs India:

England 202/1, 30 overs.

Betfair’s over/under is 347. I’ll go over.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

By September the MPs would have had over five months to "do something" that avoids No Deal on 31 October. They cannot complain if the incumbent PM lets the clock run out when they've had plenty of time to change the direction of travel.
    I don’t see that being relevant to the provisions of the cabinet manual at all? You have moved from trying to interpret the rules to pushing your personal viewpoint.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

England vs India:

England 202/1, 30 overs.

Where have they been hiding all tournament?
    Don’t ignore the element of luck. Roy could have been out quite cheaply earlier on had India reviewed. We had a similar sliding doors moment against Australia when an appeal for a wicket early on went against us.
    Clearly the absence of Roy and the failure of Vince also unsettled things.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

England vs India:

England 202/1, 30 overs.

Jonny out...pack your bags...
    Exactly my thinking.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

We didn’t in the past
    Define we.
  • Options
    Think England are still going to need Jos and Ben to fire at the end here.
  • Options
    And Morgan gone...350 is the dream now...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    edited June 2019
  • Options

That over/under just went down to 320! Whoops
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That over/under just went down to 320! Whoops
    Good job England bat deep.....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,295
    IanB2 said:

You can lay a 2022 next GE at 4.1 on BFE, which looks like an outstanding bet that covers quite a few angles. AFAICS the only scenario where we run to 2022 is if the Tories (and DUP) cling to Boris and Boris clings to office until the end, both for fear of the electorate.

I agree. I much prefer that bet to backing a 2019 GE at 2.5.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

So, to conclude, the European executive is controlled in a strikingly similar way by the European Parliament to the way the UK Parliament controls the British executive (contrary to your first airy assertion) with groupings elected under pan-European manifestos (contrary to your second airy assertion). But because you don’t pay attention to any of this stuff, you’re justified in disregarding it.
    That's a deliberate misrepresentation of my position.

But, as I have learnt in the past, you are so smugly convinced of your own moral superiority that there is no point in debating with you.

Have a nice Sunday.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    COME ON, INDI....er, I mean ENGLAND!

:lol:
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

We didn’t in the past
    And ?
    Therefore it is not "hard to imagine" that "we would not have had significant influence in this choice"
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    DougSeal said:
    Given the Turkish regime's response to the coup against Erdogan, EU membership talks have effectively been frozen.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,295

Are the thousands of Eastern European Roma who have migrated to Rotherham the 'best and brightest' ?

And though they are at the extreme end of the scale few of the working class areas of the UK will be seeing many of the 'best and brightest' either.

Make it easier for the 'best and brightest' from around the world to move to working class areas while restricting the less desirable immigrants and you'll see a changed view on immigration and an improvement in the economy in those areas.

The best way to boost neglected regions is substantial state directed investment.

Money.

This is Labour policy. These people should be flocking to Corbyn. That they are not indicates that Brexit for them is more about identity than economic self-interest.

Not a criticism - just a logical deduction from the evidence.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084
    edited June 2019
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

September election is still 12 on Betfair. I think that’s huge value.
    October election is in to 4.7, which is probably too short now.
    Yes, I think so. I dont think many MPs are looking forward to Conference. In any case even @HYUFD must realise that post a Boris landslide (joke!) some preparation time is needed before the Day of the Dead.
    If @HYFUD is right and Boris intends to throw NI under the bus, then we’re going to get a VoNC called by Corbyn within hours of the Con leadership announcement if Boris wins, as the DUP withdraw their confidence.

Bercow will of course be happy to extend Parliament, or do anything else required to facilitate Parliament frustrating Boris.

There’s also the chance of Dominic Grieve, Ken Clarke and a couple of other older Tory remainers being happy to resign the whip, vote against a Boris government and retire at the election.

I think we get a massive constitutional mess in the last week of July, and have an election in September with Mrs May still PM.

For this reason, Jeremy Corbyn at 75 for next PM is also massive value on BF Ex.
    Except Boris will only throw the DUP under the bus once he wins a Tory majority and then can pass the Withdrawal Agreement with the temporary Customs Union for GB removed and with the backstop for Northern Ireland still present (perhaps subject to confirmatory referendum in NI).

If Boris does it beforehand the Withdrawal Agreement still would not pass as the DUP would vote it down even if every Tory MP and a handful of Labour rebels like Flint voted for it.

If Grieve and Clarke etc VONC a Boris Government no bother as the only way now to deliver a real Brexit Deal or No Deal is with a Boris Tory majority on that ticket before October.

The current Commons as has been clear will not vote for the Withdrawal Agreement and will always vote for extension and most likely Revoke over No Deal
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The reality is that you can’t apply that logic by bundling all decisions into the same framework; some matters (a lot more, as it happens) should properly be decided at local or even hyper-local,level; other issues require international co-operation. At all levels, the more there is democratic accountability the better.

Our current setup is deficient principally because there are insufficient or flawed mechanisms for ensuring that accountability at both EU and national level, and because our system of local government remains under national government control in terms of its structure, governance and financing.

I agree.

We should reform local government. There's a good case for a federal UK (at the risk of unleashing the wrath of @Morris_Dancer).

Certainly many issues require international cooperation.

However, in my view, with the established direction of travel, the only way to make the EU effective and democratically accountable is to integrate completely and form a new single state.

I don't think that the peoples of the EU are ready for that, and therefore we are better off being a friendly neighbour and cooperating where appropriate.

There was another path that could have been taken by the EU as a whole, but once the Euro was established the choice has been made for good or ill.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, I think so. I dont think many MPs are looking forward to Conference. In any case even @HYUFD must realise that post a Boris landslide (joke!) some preparation time is needed before the Day of the Dead.
    If @HYFUD is right and Boris intends to throw NI under the bus, then we’re going to get a VoNC called by Corbyn within hours of the Con leadership announcement if Boris wins, as the DUP withdraw their confidence.

Bercow will of course be happy to extend Parliament, or do anything else required to facilitate Parliament frustrating Boris.

There’s also the chance of Dominic Grieve, Ken Clarke and a couple of other older Tory remainers being happy to resign the whip, vote against a Boris government and retire at the election.

I think we get a massive constitutional mess in the last week of July, and have an election in September with Mrs May still PM.

For this reason, Jeremy Corbyn at 75 for next PM is also massive value on BF Ex.
    Except Boris will only throw the DUP under the bus once he wins a Tory majority and then can pass the Withdrawal Agreement with the temporary Customs Union for GB removed and with the backstop for Northern Ireland still present (perhaps subject to confirmatory referendum in NI).

If Boris does it beforehand the Withdrawal Agreement still would not pass as the DUP would vote it down even if every Tory MP and a handful of Labour rebels like Flint voted for it.

If Grieve and Clarke etc VONC a Boris Government no bother as the only way now to deliver a real Brexit Deal or No Deal is with a Boris Tory majority.

The current Commons as has been clear will not vote for the Withdrawal Agreement and will always vote for extension and most likely Revoke over No Deal
    So 11/1 for an election in September is good value?
  • Options
    "Network Rail bids for part of British Steel"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48816458
  • Options
    Charles said:

We should reform local government. There's a good case for a federal UK (at the risk of unleashing the wrath of @Morris_Dancer).

However, in my view, with the established direction of travel, the only way to make the EU effective and democratically accountable is to integrate completely and form a new single state.

Contradiction alert. Why can a federal UK work but a confederal EU cannot?
  • Options
    This is going really badly now for England....need something special from Stokes / Buttler.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

But, as I have learnt in the past, you are so smugly convinced of your own moral superiority that there is no point in debating with you.

Have a nice Sunday.
    In what way is it an inaccurate representation of your position as you have developed it on here today?
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Nigelb said:

Hunt says Fuck Business. Johnson believes in the Magic Money Tree. They do not seem to have worked out just what a gift this is to the Labour party. And the Labour party has yet to work out that to exploit such a gift it needs a new leader.

If Johnson was planning to borrow to invest in infrastructure that would be one thing. Bond rates are excellent for long term borrowing at moment. UK 50 year gilts at about 1.3%. Surely decent infrastructure projects would beat that as a return with increased productivity and knock on effects?

Borrowing for tax cuts and trying to out Ireland on corporation taxes is a different kettle of fish.
    Absolutely - and that argument is the same one we had under Brown.
    Inflating borrowing for tax cuts is the same bad policy.

It was like listening to Shadow CoE Ed Balls. Thumbs up to “investment borrowing” that is what the Conservative party successfully argued in 2015 the same as “borrowing creating more debt”.

The key thing is what Boris didn’t say this morning. He didn’t say no.

"I don't want to prorogue parliament nor do I expect to. I don't think that's going to be necessary and I think that it's far more important that MPs focus on where we are."

Anyone think that = no?

Stopping Brexit, having a peoples vote, all that is dead in the water once we Brexit. Once we Brexit it’s a whole different ball game. Once Boris is in number ten his mission will be to take us out into that new ball game. Does anyone here think parliament is actually going to stop him? You really believe that?

• Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On the basis of that Ridge interview Johnson has no meaningful strategy beyond unicorns and when it all goes pear-shaped he will take no responsibility whatsoever. A complete charlatan who will soon be deservedly exposed for the fraud he is.

It hasn't worked that way with Trump and it won't for Johnson.

Trump is working within a completely different system that shields him despite the large majority of Americans opposing him. The dynamics are different in the UK.

I don't think that they are. Johnson's back-story supports me too, from Darius Guppy, the zip wire, through the garden bridge to Carrie-gate. The chaotic personal life, the profligate Mayor, the dangerously incompetent Foreign Secretary.

Any one of these issues should sink a career, but Johnson gets a free pass. 'Boris will be Boris'!

This is the first time he has come under sustained and critical scrutiny. Trump can win despite being hugely unpopular. I doubt Johnson can because the UK system is very different. And Johnson is entirely dependent on Farage, so cannot pivot.

No, the UK system is exactly the same as the US system ie FPTP.

Boris could win even while losing the popular vote given 2/3 of constituencies voted Leave

Nope, there is no scope for tactical voting in the US system. Johnson is totally dependent on Farage.

What an absolutely ridiculous point. Hillary got 48% of the vote in 2016, far more than Labour or the LDs have ever got but Trump still won

I'm sorry you don't understand the point I'm making. Though I'm not surprised.

You clearly do not understand 2/3 of constituencies voted Leave even if only 52% of voters did
    I think the point re tactical voting was in relation to the US has little opportunity for it as it is rare to have a significant third party.
    Nader and the Greens arguably cost Gore the 2000 US presidential election and Perot arguably cost Bush Snr the 1992 presidential election
  • Options

Charles said:

Demos.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Residency requirement for welfare would be one

OK. But that is another 'immigration' issue. And contribution based welfare is possible in the EU. Its biggest member, for example - Germany.
    Germany has a basic level of welfare and a contributory higher level of welfare
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

If Grieve and Clarke etc VONC a Boris Government no bother as the only way now to deliver a real Brexit Deal or No Deal is with a Boris Tory majority.

So 11/1 for an election in September is good value?
    Yes
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    tlg86 said:

The Cabinet Manual was only drawn up during Gordon Brown's time as PM. As such , it is a Civil Service document of very recent years and is not obviously binding in constitutional terms. Essentialy it amounts to a series of recommendations in a range of possible scenarios.
  • Options

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

We didn’t in the past
    Define we.
    Previous PMs representing the UK's interests. We've managed the occasional negative veto, but I'm not aware of any positive choice we've made since the days of Peter Smithers and Roy Jenkins.
  • Options

Charles said:

A federal EU could work - I didn't mean "single state" to be interpreted as "unitary"

I don't think a confederation would work. Essentially with a single currency you need fiscal transfers - this requires a high level of democratic oversight which I don't believe would be possible with a voluntary confederation.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I agree.

I don't think that the peoples of the EU are ready for that, and therefore we are better off being a friendly neighbour and cooperating where appropriate.

There was another path that could have been taken by the EU as a whole, but once the Euro was established the choice has been made for good or ill.
    I am not sure you’re fully engaging with the point.

“We should reform local government”, although true, conjures up a government thrusting down its own view of how councils should be organised and managed, which has always been the British way. What is really needed is independence from central government, which necessitates a written constitution protecting the position and rights of local government, as most democracies have, together with an independent tax base, and fair voting to ensure accountability and avoid one-party states. Once the constitution has defined in which areas councils have autonomy, we let them get on with it.

Further, if the UK becomes federal there is no reason why the same logic cannot apply at EU level. The growing necessity for international co-operation on issues such as security and the environment cannot effectively be dealt with simply on an inter-governmental basis.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.
    The word 'demos' is misleading. I don't think it is even meaningful to apply it to a state like the UK, where the politics of Northern Ireland are a world away from the politics of Northern Essex.
  • Options

Charles said:

Have a nice Sunday.

In what way is it an inaccurate representation of your position as you have developed it on here today?
    Enjoy your afternoon. Have a nice walk and get some fresh air.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

We didn’t in the past
    Define we.
    Previous PMs representing the UK's interests. We've managed the occasional negative veto, but I'm not aware of any positive choice we've made since the days of Peter Smithers and Roy Jenkins.
    Then you should learn about the great work of Arthur Cockfield under Thatcher for one thing. Peter Smithers was involved in the Council of Europe, not the EEC/EU.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

We didn’t in the past
    Define we.
    You hugely underestimate the influence the Uk has had, particularly on shaping EU economic policy and trade.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I agree.

“We should reform local government”, although true, conjures up a government thrusting down its own view of how councils should be organised and managed, which has always been the British way. What is really needed is independence from central government, which necessitates a written constitution protecting the position and rights of local government, as most democracies have, together with an independent tax base, and fair voting to ensure accountability and avoid one-party states. Once the constitution has defined in which areas councils have autonomy, we let them get on with it.

Further, if the UK becomes federal there is no reason why the same logic cannot apply at EU level. The growing necessity for international co-operation on issues such as security and the environment cannot effectively be dealt with simply on an inter-governmental basis.
    I didn't want to get sidetracked onto local government, but I suspect that we would agree on a lot of the structural issues. I'm not convinced a written constitution is a good idea - I heard Lord Sumption give a great lecture on Radio 4 the other day on this. Essentially it would be a document of its time.

A federal government for the EU could work. I just don't believe it is necessary or desirable. I do see it as inevitable, so chose to get off the bus at this point.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.
    The word 'demos' is misleading. I don't think it is even meaningful to apply it to a state like the UK, where the politics of Northern Ireland are a world away from the politics of Northern Essex.
    Okay then. The problem is that UK citizens don’t consider themselves to be primarily European, and don’t wish to be ruled from Brussels (and Strasbourg for one week a month).

Some people might say something similar about Scottish people not wanting to be ruled from London.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

We didn’t in the past
    Define we.
    Then you should learn about the great work of Arthur Cockfield under Thatcher for one thing. Peter Smithers was involved in the Council of Europe, not the EEC/EU.
    Cockfield was a Commissioner but not the top job, which is what we were discussing specifically.
  • Options
    GazGaz Posts: 45
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I agree.

Are people of the UK willing to accept that? Independence of tax base means a lot of winners and a lot of losers. Are our local councillors skilled enough to manage true autonomy? Making their own decisions rather than choosing from a carefully selected list of options...

Speaking as a current Deputy Council Leader, I'm not sure we have the necessary skills across the country in local representatives.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

If Grieve and Clarke etc VONC a Boris Government no bother as the only way now to deliver a real Brexit Deal or No Deal is with a Boris Tory majority on that ticket before October.

Unpleasant though they are, the DUP don’t strike me as the innocent dupes as whom you paint them. The current parliamentary arrangement suits them hugely and I expect they’ll be thinking through the steps and threats they need to make to protect their current leverage.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

We didn’t in the past
    Define we.
    You hugely underestimate the influence the Uk has had, particularly on shaping EU economic policy and trade.
    we were discussing a relatively narrow point on the top jobs in the EU Commission
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The city isn’t working
    Westminster isn’t working
    Whitehall isn’t working
    The party system isn’t working
    The regions aren’t working.

Apart from that, the British political system is in rude health and primed for the challenges ahead.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The best way to boost neglected regions is substantial state directed investment.

Money.

This is Labour policy. These people should be flocking to Corbyn. That they are not indicates that Brexit for them is more about identity than economic self-interest.

Not a criticism - just a logical deduction from the evidence.
    They've had Labour governments, they've had Labour councils, they've had Labour MPs ** and how much help did they get from them ?

Observing from one such area I can tell you that the Blair and Brown governments were far worse for manufacturing employment and road building than those which followed afterwards.

** who are often parachuted outsiders who show no interest in their constituencies
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    Jonathan said:

The city isn’t working
    Whitehall isn’t working

Apart from that, the British political system is in rude health and primed for the challenges ahead.

Only Holyrood seems to be working, funnily enough.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The city isn’t working
    Whitehall isn’t working

Yet the country just chugs along nicely. It's working.
  • Options
    Gaz said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

financing.

tablished direction of travel, the only way to make the EU effective and democratically accountable is to integrate completely and form a new single state.

Are people of the UK willing to accept that? Independence of tax base means a lot of winners and a lot of losers. Are our local councillors skilled enough to manage true autonomy? Making their own decisions rather than choosing from a carefully selected list of options...

Speaking as a current Deputy Council Leader, I'm not sure we have.
    You’re right to identify that one of the obstacles to financial independence has always been the need for redistribution between richer and poorer areas; even within a ‘rich’ area like London, funds are redistributed from Westminster to other Boroughs, given the former’s massive business rate base.

One option is that the government would continue to manage this, as it does now through the local government grant process. A better option is that this be put in the hands of the LGA, which has a good track record of advocating in the interests of all authorities and less likely than government to bias the formula one way or the other depending on which party is dominant.

On this basis it would be possible to devolve the tax base to local government without any winners or losers - they take over the current council tax and business rate tax bases as is.

One of the challenges to my suggestion is of course that it would be better to replace both with some sort of land value tax.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Afternoon all :)

I've long thought the only two coherent positions are fully autonomous nation states co-operating and collaborating as and when desirable and practical and a fully integrated European Federation (EuroFed) with the big issues settled at European level but devolution for other issues to much lower levels.

Anyway, that matters little if at all.
    HYUFD said:

We're back to this "Tory majority" theory - it's true, some polls have predicted this but only, and this needs repeating, once we have left the EU on 31/10. Given the EU have said they won't change the WA it seems odd to assert that even with a majority the WA will be changed. It won't. It may pass with a Boris majority but it will pass as it is not as an amended document.

Back to the "majority" - it occurs only once Brexit has been achieved so in other words we have to leave in order to vote in a majority which will enable us to leave - yes, I'm confused too.
    HYUFD said:

If the current WA goes through the current Commons even with Boris as PM, it'll likely fail. I don't know if a Johnson led Government will fall to a Vote of No Confidence - the numbers are not clear and it's not even clear a VoNC will be proposed as early as July 25th and especially not if the House votes to rise for the summer recess.

I don't know the strength of anti-No Deal feeling in the Conservative Party - it clearly exists but whether it will manifest in anything other than noise by the usual suspects remains to be seen.

So Boris has to change the parliamentary arithmetic or do nothing and hope the EU don't offer another extension. If the EU offer an extension and Boris refuses it the endgame will begin as he is outvoted by the Commons and compelled either to break his word, agree to an extension and perhaps end the Conservative Party in its current form or seek a GE. That election will be a huge gamble but it will be the last throw of the dice.
  • Options
    Gaz said:

Jonathan said:

The city isn’t working
    Whitehall isn’t working

Unless you take the view that the growing crisis we find ourselves in is evidence that, actually, it hasn’t been “working” for some time.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

The reality is that you can’t apply that logic by bundling all decisions into the same framework; some matters (a lot more, as it happens) should properly be decided at local or even hyper-local,level; other issues require international co-operation. At all levels, ng.

I agree.

I didn't want to get sidetracked onto local government, but I suspect that we would agree on a lot of the structural issues. I'm not convinced a written constitution is a good idea - I heard Lord Sumption give a great lecture on Radio 4 the other day on this. Essentially it would be a document of its time.

A federal government for the EU could work. I just don't believe it is necessary or desirable. I do see it as inevitable, so chose to get off the bus at this point.
    A constitution protects local government in other democracies from the whim of central government; in the UK the government is able to merge or abolish councils, change their funding, remove or curtail their powers, direct their internal organisation, all at whim of whichever party has a majority based on 35%+ of the popular vote at the time.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Worry not brothers, Boris/Jeremy will save us, have faith in his plan. Brexit is the one truth. The solution to all things. Believe!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    As far as local Government is concerned, the one indefensible now is the two-tier system of counties and boroughs/districts. We have seen Councils merge and amalgamate but in some areas the ludicrous anomaly persists. The next round of local Government re-organisation needs to challenge this.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Gaz said:

Jonathan said:

The city isn’t working
    Whitehall isn’t working

Unless you take the view that the growing crisis we find ourselves in is evidence that, actually, it hasn’t been “working” for some time.
    What crisis?
    We have a parliament that doesnt wish to honour the obligation it agreed to impose upon itself when triggering our leaving the EU. That is the start and end of it.

A paralysed government and parliament is a quirk that we are not used to in the UK. But a function of pretty much every parliament in the world, handling a fractured bickering legislature is a skill every european leader learns early on. Even other FPTP electoral systems can create paralysis. The US system is a perpetual paralysis but seems to function fairly well as the world's super power.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.
    Okay then. The problem is that UK citizens don’t consider themselves to be primarily European, and don’t wish to be ruled from Brussels (and Strasbourg for one week a month).

Some people might say something similar about Scottish people not wanting to be ruled from London.
    Houston we have a problem...

If only people who considered themselves to be primarily British voted in the referendum, Remain would have won. Brexit was carried by people who don't think of themselves primarily as British but as English.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.

If only people who considered themselves to be primarily British voted in the referendum, Remain would have won. Brexit was carried by people who don't think of themselves primarily as British but as English.
    and welsh.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.

Which in no way changes the truth of what Sandpit was saying.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    stodge said:

As far as local Government is concerned, the one indefensible now is the two-tier system of counties and boroughs/districts. We have seen Councils merge and amalgamate but in some areas the ludicrous anomaly persists. The next round of local Government re-organisation needs to challenge this.

Having sat at both county and district level, it is indeed a wasteful system... The absence of a wide scale social housing responsibility has left the districts them twiddling their thumbs.
  • Options
    Gaz said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.

and welsh.
    I don’t think that’s right. People identifying as Welsh voted Remain.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.

Who mentioned British, or English (or Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish?). I was talking about UK citizens not seeing themselves as primarily European and not wanting to be ruled by Europe.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I've long thought the only two coherent positions are fully autonomous nation states co-operating and collaborating as and when desirable and practical and a fully integrated European Federation (EuroFed) with the big issues settled at European level but devolution for other issues to much lower levels.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Boris does it beforehand the Withdrawal Agreement still would not pass as the DUP it Deal or No Deal is with a Boris Tory majority on that ticket before October.

If the current WA goes through the current Commons even with Boris as PM, it'll likely fail. I don't know if a Johnson led Government will fall to a Vote of No Confidence - the numbers are not clear and it's not even clear a VoNC will be proposed as early as July 25th and especially not if the House votes to rise for the summer recess.

I don't know the strength of anti-No Deal feeling in the Conservative Party - it clearly exists but whether it will manifest in anything other than noise by the usual suspects remains to be seen.

So Boris has to change the parliamentary arithmetic or do nothing and hope the EU don't offer another extension. If the EU offer an extension and Boris refuses it the endgame will begin as he is outvoted by the Commons and compelled either to break his word, agree to an extension and perhaps end the Conservative Party in its current form or seek a GE. That election will be a huge gamble but it will be the last throw of the dice.
    Loath as I am to play devil’s advocate for the site yurodivy, the challenges to your conclusion appear to be:

- the WA might get through if the 26 Labour leavers who signed that recent letter support it and the ERG is willing to eat some humble pie and give Boris the benefit of the doubt;
    - the Tories could do well in a GE where there is some understanding between them and the BXP and the opposition parties don’t co-operate or tactical voting fails.

I regard these both as long shots and hence am as amused at HY’s overexuberance as the rest of you; nevertheless this isn’t to say that they can’t happen.

In particular it is frightening that so much hangs on what exactly Farage is aiming to achieve and whether he is playing for the short or longer term.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.

Who mentioned British, or English (or Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish?). I was talking about UK citizens not seeing themselves as primarily European and not wanting to be ruled by Europe.
    I mentioned it... because if the logic applies to the EU, it also applies to the UK. The only way to deliver what they voted for, if you are right, is for the UK to break up.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Jonathan said:

The city isn’t working
    Whitehall isn’t working

Only Holyrood seems to be working, funnily enough.
    Implementing independence would put an end to that.....
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.

I mentioned it... because if the logic applies to the EU, it also applies to the UK. The only way to deliver what they voted for, if you are right, is for the UK to break up.
    Not at all. It’s up to the people to decide who rules them.

I believe one part of the UK might even have attempted such a change in the last few years.

(Grand Prix to watch. Laters).
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338

Gaz said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.

and welsh.
    Welsh remainders blaming English immigrants!
  • Options
    India need their 5th highest run chase in ODIs to win the match, and second highest against England.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/93518.html
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532

NEW THREAD

• Options

Gaz said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Demos.

and welsh.
    Anthony Hopkins identifies as Welsh but lives in LA, so what?

A majority of voters living in Wales voted Leave
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

We're back to this "Tory majority" theory - it's true, some polls have predicted this but only, and this needs repeating, once we have left the EU on 31/10. Given the EU have said they won't change the WA it seems odd to assert that even with a majority the WA will be changed. It won't. It may pass with a Boris majority but it will pass as it is not as an amended document.

Back to the "majority" - it occurs only once Brexit has been achieved so in other words we have to leave in order to vote in a majority which will enable us to leave - yes, I'm confused too.
    HYUFD said:

Comres had a Boris majority now
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

You’re right to identify that one of the obstacles to financial independence has always been the need for redistribution between richer and poorer areas; even within a ‘rich’ area like London, funds are redistributed from Westminster to other Boroughs, given the former’s massive business rate base.

One option is that the government would continue to manage this, as it does now through the local government grant process. A better option is that this be put in the hands of the LGA, which has a good track record of advocating in the interests of all authorities and less likely than government to bias the formula one way or the other depending on which party is dominant.

On this basis it would be possible to devolve the tax base to local government without any winners or losers - they take over the current council tax and business rate tax bases as is.

One of the challenges to my suggestion is of course that it would be better to replace both with some sort of land value tax.

The trick is to allocate responsibilities and resources appropriately.

It seems to me that local councils should be largely about local service delivery - bins etc - plus mandated service delivery (e.g. social care).

Where it is local service delivery they should set council tax (or whatever) to fund this. If they want to have any pet projects they should justify them and fund them through tax. Mandated service delivery should be funded in full by central government.

If you are going down a federal route, you need to have an interim government level as well, which is much more challenging. But that could be funded by things like business rates and a local sales tax (replacing VAT). You can have a mechanism for redistribution as well from business rates.

And then regions could choose the balance of tax and spending that suits their needs and desires best.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

A constitution protects local government in other democracies from the whim of central government; in the UK the government is able to merge or abolish councils, change their funding, remove or curtail their powers, direct their internal organisation, all at whim of whichever party has a majority based on 35%+ of the popular vote at the time.

I would go for a much more narrow technical document with supermajority or dual consent provisions to change it. A broader document is going to end up reflecting the concerns of the day and will cause no end of trouble in future.

An example would be the right to bear arms in the US constitution. It was a very important issue when it was passed, but today it is less appropriate but very difficult to change
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I would go for a much more narrow technical document with supermajority or dual consent provisions to change it. A broader document is going to end up reflecting the concerns of the day and will cause no end of trouble in future.

An example would be the right to bear arms in the US constitution. It was a very important issue when it was passed, but today it is less appropriate but very difficult to change
    The “narrow technical” bits of the US Constitution (Arts 1-7) do protect the rights of the States. It was broadened by the first 10 amendments (the Bill of Rights) which does, as you say, contain the problematic 2nd Amendment, which I am convinced is missing a comma.
This discussion has been closed.