Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the CON race continues to be about character them it might

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s no wonder Johnson is stay out of site listening to his foot soldiers trying to defend the indefensible it would be hilarious if not serious. He won’t worry about the members hustings as they believe his crap, think stories about his private life are politically motivated and most have made up their minds anyway. To avoid wider public scrutiny is his best tactic and costs him nothing in terms of the members.

Stories about his private life ARE politically motivated.

If it wasn't for politics then "lovers argue after man spills wine on sofa" would not be news.

Yep, if Johnson was not running to be PM the fact the police were called because the row was so violently noisy would not have been news.

ported if he farted in bed so should have been more careful.

wn homes. Of course it’s news.

Be honest, do you you only repeatedly use ‘violent’ because you’d like someone to point out that there was no violence, so you can reply that violence doesn’t have to be physical?

The throwing and smashing of plates and glasses in the context of a heated row is physical violence.

Arguments where no one is hurt is physical violence?
    Assault does not require anyone to be hurt. Also suggestions of domestic violence or the possibility of, are normally followed up by police I think.
    Yes, but it’s been three days since it’s been shown that there was no violence, assault or case for the police to consider.
    I'm pretty sure that it is common for spouses who suffer abuse whether physical or otherwise to refuse to press any claims or charges against their abusive partners and often seek to reunite with them. Plod turning up at the door where there was evidently a fracas of some sort and being told "we're ok here thanks" is evidence of nothing. It is certainly not evidence of no abuse or violence.
    "evidence of nothing"?
    Seems that if you have a row with your partner, and neighbours that hate you call the police, you are marked as a violent abuser with the fact that no charges were pressed, evidence of abuse found or complaint made by either party immaterial.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Always we come back to "belief".

Johnson's supporters do not want to deal with reality, so they cling to belief.

If they believe hard enough then all will be well.

Not a Cult...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    148grss said:

Do we think if the Queen doesn't offer Johnson the opportunity to form a government because it is clear he doesn't command the confidence of the House that those who use the language of "traitor" will say the Queen is traitorous, or will it convince them it is a bridge too far even for these trying days of the UK constitution? I personally think they'll say she's a traitor to the UK as some do when she didn't veto joining the EC in the first place.

The Palace will be desperate to avoid this happening. At moment though I don't see how it doesn't unless Remain Tories accept they will have put up with Johnson for a few weeks before pulling the plug when it is clear he is heading for No Deal.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    isam said:

Mais bien sur.

I throw a haymaker at you. You dance like a butterfly and it merely grazes your cheek. No harm done.

But I'm still coming. You run off, call the cops.

"I would like to report a violent physical assault on my person. I can give you the geezer's name. Hard Left Social Democrat goes by kinabalu."

Are you lying to the police?

Certainly not.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

The media briefing is the issue

There is potentially another angle to that: the police were heard saying "restrict it", and later it appears they did. If you had reported something like this, and you heard the police say that, might you be concerned about a cover-up?

(As I think I've said before, the police aspect of this is much more interesting and important than Boris's sid.)
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s no wonder Johnson is stay out of site listening to his foot soldiers trying to defend the indefensible it would be hilarious if not serious. He won’t worry about the members hustings as they believe his crap, think stories about his private life are politically motivated and most have made up their minds anyway. To avoid wider public scrutiny is his best tactic and costs him nothing in terms of the members.

If it wasn't for politics then "lovers argue after man spills wine on sofa" would not be news.

Yep, if Johnson was not running to be PM the fact the police were called because the row was so violently noisy would not have been news.

I’m not saying the reporting of the event was not politically motivated but that many people actually discredit the story using that phrase. If nothing else it shows that he should of realized it would be reported if he farted in bed so should have been more careful.

Johnson is running for PM. He was involved in a violent row audible to a number of neighbours in their own homes. Of course it’s news.

Be honest, do you you only repeatedly use ‘violent’ because you’d like someone to point out that there was no violence, so you can reply that violence doesn’t have to be physical?

The throwing and smashing of plates and glasses in the context of a heated row is physical violence.

Assault does not require anyone to be hurt. Also suggestions of domestic violence or the possibility of, are normally followed up by police I think.
    Yes, but it’s been three days since it’s been shown that there was no violence, assault or case for the police to consider.
    If someone hears or sees what they believe is a fight, and is concerned for the safety of one or more of the individuals involved, wouldn't you rather they err on the side of caution and call the police - even if it turns out they were wrong?

(That doesn't excuse going to the media, which is another issue.)
    Isn't that more of a question of whether the media should have published?
    both
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

It’s not unreasonable for neighbours to call the police if they think someone next door is being attacked, no.

But as there was no case to answer, why are people still trying to make out it was more than it was?

Because it is the participants who have said there is no case to answer and sadly the history of domestic abuse is such that such statements can't be relied on as proof that there has been no domestic abuse.
    So you think there was? On what evidence?
    I have absolutely no idea if there was. And I have absolutely no idea if there wasn't. Neither do you. I'm sure that when Plod turned up and looked into the eyes of Cazza and Bozza they knew but that's irrelevant. They also know what it takes to get, say, a conviction in a domestic abuse case if neither party wants to take things forward.

But something happened. There is a recording of it, apparently. And it involved someone who might be our next prime minister. So it is eminently newsworthy. And that person has either avoided or made a hash (by avoiding) a sensible response which as I now find out, plenty of PB-ers could have helped him with along the lines of "this happens all the time it's just a row and I tried to hug it out..."
  • Options
    'Bottler Boris' might take off as a meme.

But not amongst those who can vote on this.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

isam said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s no wonder Johnson is stay out of site listening to his foot soldiers trying most ublic scrutiny is his best tactic and costs him nothing in terms of the members.

I’m not saying the reporting of the event was not politically motivated but careful.

Johnson is running for PM. He was involved in a violent row audible to a number of neighbours in their own homes. Of course it’s news.

"violent"? That would surely require something more than "nothing to see here" from Plod.

aotic individual in a time when we could perhaps do with stability.
    You've obviously led a sheltered live

Same here. I’ve been married for 30 years. Before last weekend I thought it was normal that the police had never been called to our place when me and my wife argued. But I now know we’re the exception not the rule.
    Youre not a celebrity going for a top job, who lives next door to people who want you to be seen in a bad light, plaster your car and letterbox with abusive posters, or have protestors camped outside your house though are you?

Does it really not cross your mind that the neighbours might have been trying to make as much of this as possible?

All stories are leaked for a purpose. A number of witnesses have said there was a violent row. That is a story when it involves the next PM. If it wasn’t it would not be all over every newspaper.

Witnesses?

Several times you have posted your mock amazement that you and your wife's rows haven’t been violent enough for the police to be called, when you must know that a major reason the police were called was because the neighbours hate him and want to publicly embarrass him, and were you famous living next door to haters this might happen too. Yet you write as if this probability was zero.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

148grss said:

Do we think if the Queen doesn't offer Johnson the opportunity to form a government because it is clear he doesn't command the confidence of the House that those who use the language of "traitor" will say the Queen is traitorous, or will it convince them it is a bridge too far even for these trying days of the UK constitution? I personally think they'll say she's a traitor to the UK as some do when she didn't veto joining the EC in the first place.

The Palace will be desperate to avoid this happening. At moment though I don't see how it doesn't unless Remain Tories accept they will have put up with Johnson for a few weeks before pulling the plug when it is clear he is heading for No Deal.
    Politically I think they have to give him a few weeks to prove that his renegotiation has nothing behind it.
  • Options

"evidence of nothing"?

As I have said I have no idea what happened apart from that there was a fracas involving the favourite to become our next prime minister. Apparently several people heard it and one recorded it and the police were called.

On what planet is this not newsworthy? You seem almost obtusely to want this to melt away as though it is the most natural thing in the world for the police to be called to "a domestic".
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

I'm pretty sure that it is common for spouses who suffer abuse whether physical or otherwise to refuse to press any claims or charges against their abusive partners and often seek to reunite with them. Plod turning up at the door where there was evidently a fracas of some sort and being told "we're ok here thanks" is evidence of nothing. It is certainly not evidence of no abuse or violence.
    "evidence of nothing"?
    Seems that if you have a row with your partner, and neighbours that hate you call the police, you are marked as a violent abuser with the fact that no charges were pressed, evidence of abuse found or complaint made by either party immaterial.
    "neighbours that hate you".

Unlike your normal forensic analysis of situations, there, Sam.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    kjohnw said:

Boris will put a motion through for a general election, and will go on to win on deal or no deal by 31/10 mandate . Most constituencies voted leave , remain voters are in London and Scotland , under FPTP Boris will beat Corbyn hands down

He will win by cowering in a corner, hiding from his opponents, refusing all requests for public debates and allowing minor mishaps in his private life to dominate the headlines for days on end.

I don't think.

• Options
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

"evidence of nothing"?
    I agree. I'm not a BJ fan but if you're going to nail him, do it legitimately.
  • Options

I agree. I'm not a BJ fan but if you're going to nail him, do it legitimately.

No one is nailing him. Something happened, a "domestic". Neighbours called the police. Happens all the time.

Doesn't happen all the time to the presumptive next prime minister.
  • Options

148grss said:

Politically I think they have to give him a few weeks to prove that his renegotiation has nothing behind it.
    Yeh. Although I have said before that Boris wont make it to be PM, I am beginning to wonder whether even the two who spoilt their ballots might step back from causing the Queen such grief and let him take office for a few weeks at least.

It may come down to whether they trust him not to just run the clock down in the early autumn, in which case they need to strike in July.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s no wonder Johnson is stay out of site listening to his foot soldiers trying most ublic scrutiny is his best tactic and costs him nothing in terms of the members.

I’m not saying the reporting of the event was not politically motivated but careful.

"violent"? That would surely require something more than "nothing to see here" from Plod.

aotic individual in a time when we could perhaps do with stability.
    You've obviously led a sheltered live

Same here. I’ve been married for 30 years. Before last weekend I thought it was normal that the police had never been called to our place when me and my wife argued. But I now know we’re the exception not the rule.
    Youre not a celebrity goinghouse though are you?

Does it really as possible?

All stories are leaked for a purpose. A number of witnesses have said there was a violent row. That is a story when it involves the next PM. If it wasn’t it would not be all over every newspaper.

Witnesses?

Several times you have posted your mock amazement that you and your wife's rows haven’t been violent enough for the police to be called, when you must know that a major reason the police were called was because the neighbours hate him and want to publicly embarrass him, and were you famous living next door to haters this might happen too. Yet you write as if this probability was zero.

Neighbours who did not call the police also confirmed it was a violent, very noisy row. One said she was thinking of calling the police but then saw they had already arrived.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    TOPPING said:

"evidence of nothing"?

As I have said I have no idea what happened apart from that there was a fracas involving the favourite to become our next prime minister. Apparently several people heard it and one recorded it and the police were called.

On what planet is this not newsworthy? You seem almost obtusely to want this to melt away as though it is the most natural thing in the world for the police to be called to "a domestic".
    lots of them

President of France nips out for a quickie with an actress no one cares

this is middle class England at its hypocritcal best

Im working on a project atm where I have 8 mancunian electricans as sub contractors. Their main concern was are there any good strip clubs in Birmingham.

No one is interested in Boris.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

It’s no wonder Johnson is stay out of site listening to his foot soldiersnd costs him nothing in terms of the members.

"evidence of nothing"?
    "neighbours that hate you".

Unlike your normal forensic analysis of situations, there, Sam.
    Well they’ve been sticking two fingers up in his face then boasting about on Twitter, leaving posters on his car attacking him and putting hate mail through his girlfriends letterbox. Hardly Margo and Jerry.
  • Options

There is potentially another angle to that: the police were heard saying "restrict it", and later it appears they did. If you had reported something like this, and you heard the police say that, might you be concerned about a cover-up?

(As I think I've said before, the police aspect of this is much more interesting and important than Boris's sid.)
    Are you implying a procedure where Plod sanctions media briefing, naming individuals unless specifically authorised? Even with my low opinion of Plod, I find that hard to believe, the procedure therefor hat is.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472

148grss said:

Yeh. Although I have said before that Boris wont make it to be PM, I am beginning to wonder whether even the two who spoilt their ballots might step back from causing the Queen such grief and let him take office for a few weeks at least.

It may come down to whether they trust him not to just run the clock down in the early autumn, in which case they need to strike in July.
    Has anything been heard from Lee or Greening recently?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Pissing it down here.

Still, bloody better than in a few days when it'll be hot and humid.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:
    Always we come back to "belief".

Johnson's supporters do not want to deal with reality, so they cling to belief.

If they believe hard enough then all will be well.
    Tinkerbell Brexit.
  • Options
    isam said:

Well they’ve been sticking two fingers up in his face then boasting about on Twitter, leaving posters on his car attacking him and putting hate mail through his girlfriends letterbox. Hardly Margo and Jerry.

All of the sets of neighbours as I believe more than one had concerns? I hadn't clocked that.
  • Options
    BXP to challenge Peterborough result says Guardian.
  • Options

Are you implying a procedure where Plod sanctions media briefing, naming individuals unless specifically authorised? Even with my low opinion of Plod, I find that hard to believe, the procedure therefor hat is.
    No.

I'm saying if you were a random member of the GBP, who had reported what you feared might be a crime, and then you heard an officer say :"Restrict it," you wouldn't have concerns? Especially if you know someone famous is involved?

It's the cover-up that gets them - and it does appear that the police did try to cover it up by denying.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

"evidence of nothing"?

lots of them

Im working on a project atm where I have 8 mancunian electricans as sub contractors. Their main concern was are there any good strip clubs in Birmingham.

And are there?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

All of the sets of neighbours as I believe more than one had concerns? I hadn't clocked that.
    If he's now holed up in a Ukippy part of Sussex he might be more safe
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Apparently the ones who called the police and the Guardian were thise who stuck their fingers up at him then boasted on Twitter about it, but not the ones putting the posters on his car etc, so yes seems more than one set of motivated neighbskies
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

If he's now holed up in a Ukippy part of Sussex he might be more safe
    Is that a wheat field behind them?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    When Boris promises X surely he delivers X plus 10?
  • Options

I read on here the other day that an absolute majority of Conservative Party members voted for Farage at the Euros.

Given that, it is IMO impossible for quisling Remainer Hunt to win barring a Johnson scandal of gigantic proportions. 18 illegitimate children in Thailand, something like that.

And even then ...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"evidence of nothing"?

lots of them

And are there?
    do what I told them, look them up in the internet
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I read on here the other day that an absolute majority of Conservative Party members voted for Farage at the Euros.

Given that, it is IMO impossible for quisling Remainer Hunt to win barring a Johnson scandal of gigantic proportions. 18 illegitimate children in Thailand, something like that.

And even then ...
    I doubt we will get such a byronic conclusion
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The article is incorrect imho.

The leader will announced on 23rd (after overnight counting).

They will not be PM until they have been to Palace which is 24th.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

No.

I'm saying if you were a random member of the GBP, who had reported what you feared might be a crime, and then you heard an officer say :"Restrict it," you wouldn't have concerns? Especially if you know someone famous is involved?

It's the cover-up that gets them - and it does appear that the police did try to cover it up by denying.
    I think there's a simple explanation for that, which is that they don't trust normal police officers not to sell that sort of information to the public. It sounds similar to the situation at HMRC where high net worth or public individuals are dealt with by a specialist unit and aren't on the main database. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that. I would expect the police to try and prevent leaks of that information.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Apparently the ones who called the police and the Guardian were thise who stuck their fingers up at him then boasted on Twitter about it, but not the ones putting the posters on his car etc, so yes seems more than one set of motivated neighbskies
    What bad luck having a girlfriend living on one of the most politically engaged streets in the UK.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

And even then ...
    There's an estimate that 40% of membership have joined since 2017 election.

Quite a churn rate for a very stable party supposedly full of people who have been members for decades.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

"evidence of nothing"?

What is newsworthy is determined by the media with how/ if onward presentation proceeds being heavily flavoured by its biases and how many newspapers it will sell. This doesn't seem to be the issue on here. So far as MSM is concerned, the exposure has been totally justified on several fronts, regardless of any non-commercial issues.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Can the opposition table a pre-emptive VoNC?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

And even then ...
    Rest assured that, were that to be revealed, an army of PBers would be saying, "Personal matter... invasion of privacy... what happens on tour stays on tour... why didn't these women take precautions... why are these politically motivated youths emerging from the woodwork now... 99% of people have done far worse..."
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,176

TOPPING said:

"evidence of nothing"?

lots of them

Men who frequent strip clubs uninterested in questions of moral character shocker.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    We might finally have an argument to win over Sean F.

https://twitter.com/bobthe_dolphin/status/1143060459458834432
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

What bad luck having a girlfriend living on one of the most politically engaged streets in the UK.
    Seems so.

If it were an ardent Remainer accused by some kind of Colonel Blimp next door of no good, and he reported them to the police then the Telegraph, we’d see hilarious posts and tweets with ‘I am convinced this is true’ next to the story.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Can the opposition table a pre-emptive VoNC?
    I don't think they need to. If say a dozen anti-Boris Tories let it be known via the usual channels that they will not give Boris confidence, then May can't recommend him to the Queen.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:

Summer recess begins on 25th July so the question for MPs will be whether they'll want to miss out on their holidays by dealing with the fallout from a VONC on 24th/25th.

I think that's unlikely... They'll want to go on holiday and then return 5th September to work out what they're all going to do.

No VONC before 5th September, IMO.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The fact that the Boris campaign is issuing soft-focus pictures of the two happy lovers suggests they are a bit worried.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

The fact that the Boris campaign is issuing soft-focus pictures of the two happy lovers suggests they are a bit worried.

Which is what they should have done at the weekend, preferably pre-briefed it.
  • Options

No.

I think there's a simple explanation for that, which is that they don't trust normal police officers not to sell that sort of information to the public. It sounds similar to the situation at HMRC where high net worth or public individuals are dealt with by a specialist unit and aren't on the main database. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that. I would expect the police to try and prevent leaks of that information.
    That's not how I'd expect a random member of the public to see the phrase.

Besides, when asked by the Guardian, they denied it twice. They didn't 'no comment', or 'can we get back to you?' whilst they sought out a PR person to give a proper answer: they lied.

That's not good.

(This has no bearing on Boris or his conduct: I see the police's reaction as the important story.)
  • Options

Which is what they should have done at the weekend, preferably pre-briefed it.
    No plates can be broken when your sat in a park.
  • Options
    The ice cracks

CDU forms its first coalition with AfD

and in Merkels back yard too

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article195783749/CDU-bildet-in-Penzlin-Zaehlgemeinschaft-mit-AfD.html
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Nabavi, it's wryly amusing that he's hiding from debates, interviews, and so forth, yet manages to sneak out photos that are convenient. Still, nice of him to get a few minutes of fresh air and not spending the whole day hiding in the cupboard under the stairs.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Scott_P said:
    Looks to e like she's havin a fling wiv Ed Sheeran - no wonder theyre's been rows!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kinabalu said:

And even then ...
    Rest assured that, were that to be revealed, an army of PBers would be saying, "Personal matter... invasion of privacy... what happens on tour stays on tour... why didn't these women take precautions... why are these politically motivated youths emerging from the woodwork now... 99% of people have done far worse..."
    How about we discuss politics rather than character?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    "The Brexit party is to launch a formal legal challenge against the result of this month’s Peterborough byelection, where it was narrowly beaten by Labour, alleging that allegations of corruption connected to postal votes need to be investigated.

Nigel Farage, the party leader, insisted the challenge was about more than the loss to Labour by 683 votes, saying the wider use of postal votes was open to abuse and needed to be investigated. Speaking at a press conference in London he said:

I know people will say, ‘Oh, but it’s sour grapes.’ It isn’t.

Actually, as far as I’m concerned, this is about a lot more than Peterborough. It is about a system that is wide open to corruption, to intimidation, to bribery, to abuse on a whole number of levels. I have mentioned this a number of times in the past.

The party plans to issue a petition under the 1983 Representation of the People Act, which allows election results to be challenged retrospectively for reasons including errors or corruption connected to the polling."

Am afraid the Farage party may have a strong case here.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1143115085273022464

Commentators starting to catch up with PB debates!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

kinabalu said:

And even then ...
    Same thing. ἦθος ἀνθρώπῳ δαίμων (Heraclitus).
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Icarus said:

"The Brexit party is to launch a formal legal challenge against the result of this month’s Peterborough byelection, where it was narrowly beaten by Labour, alleging that allegations of corruption connected to postal votes need to be investigated.

Nigel Farage, the party leader, insisted the challenge was about more than the loss to Labour by 683 votes, saying the wider use of postal votes was open to abuse and needed to be investigated. Speaking at a press conference in London he said:

Actually, as far as I’m concerned, this is about a lot more than Peterborough. It is about a system that is wide open to corruption, to intimidation, to bribery, to abuse on a whole number of levels. I have mentioned this a number of times in the past.

The party plans to issue a petition under the 1983 Representation of the People Act, which allows election results to be challenged retrospectively for reasons including errors or corruption connected to the polling."

Postal votes are an absolute hornets nest. They should be stopped.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

This tweet suggests a bit more than that:
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1143118936319365121
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

kinabalu said:

And even then ...
    You don’t care about the good character of the next prime minister?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Ed Davey calling for a Labour backbencher in govt of national unity. Interesting he did not say senior backbencher, imagine they have someone in mind.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

The ice cracks

CDU forms its first coalition with AfD

and in Merkels back yard too

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article195783749/CDU-bildet-in-Penzlin-Zaehlgemeinschaft-mit-AfD.html

I expect that AKK will take action against the local party.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Meanwhile somewhere in Brussels Donald Tusk is sitting at his desk, head in hands, quietly muttering to himself: “What part of ‘Don’t waste this time’ did the British not understand?”

as I was once told by a lawyer the first rule of negotiation is therre's always more time
    That’s just an excuse for more billable hours.
    :)
    Am I still banned from making gags about paying £400 an hour plus VAT and disbursements for some good S & M work?
    Yes. It should be at least £900 per hour. 😜
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

kinabalu said:

And even then ...

Johnson's pitch is his character. He sells a persona, not policies.

• Options

We might finally have an argument to win over Sean F.

https://twitter.com/bobthe_dolphin/status/1143060459458834432

Imagine it is very age specific, a lot more <45s than the 55-75s that love Brexit on OK Cupid
  • Options

kinabalu said:

And even then ...
    If you promise one team unicorns, another that we wont no deal, and say that you will get it done in an unrealistic timescale, can the public not enquire as to his honesty and character? Seems essential to me.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Tabman said:

Icarus said:

Scottish Labour vote would collapse in some areas.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Icarus said:

A longer voting window from Thursday to Sunday would be sensible as well. How much of the retired voting and young not voting is due to the young working on Thursdays? Probably explains less than a half of the difference but will be a factor and becoming more unfair as the retired further squeeze those working.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Seems so.

If it were an ardent Remainer accused by some kind of Colonel Blimp next door of no good, and he reported them to the police then the Telegraph, we’d see hilarious posts and tweets with ‘I am convinced this is true’ next to the story.
    HYUFD levels of foresight.

Can you help us out with the 2.30 at Chepstow?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

Tabman said:

Icarus said:

A longer voting window from Thursday to Sunday would be sensible as well. How much of the retired voting and young not voting is due to the young working on Thursdays? Probably explains less than a half of the difference but will be a factor and becoming more unfair as the retired further squeeze those working.
    How about simply switching to voting on Sunday like a lot of countries?
  • Options

lots of them

I would imagine there are. Big city like that.

Might run into a Tory Leadership contender. Not saying which one. Could be either.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    Rafa has gone. Now the depression sets in.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Seems to me BoJo`s best move would be to call a GE immediately on taking office in anticipation of a no confidence vote. Make it a manifesto pledge to leave on WTO terms if necessary and rely on Salisbury Convention to get past parliament (assuming he wins the GE).

Thoughts?
  • Options

There's an estimate that 40% of membership have joined since 2017 election.

Quite a churn rate for a very stable party supposedly full of people who have been members for decades.

Really? Gosh. That sounds like they are getting well & truly kippered.

Very lucky for Boris that The Man - il Duce - cannot stand.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    He thinks Boris can process that level of detail?
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Stocky said:

Seems to me BoJo`s best move would be to call a GE immediately on taking office in anticipation of a no confidence vote. Make it a manifesto pledge to leave on WTO terms if necessary and rely on Salisbury Convention to get past parliament (assuming he wins the GE).

Thoughts?

FTPA means he cant do that............still needs support from Parliament
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    That settles it. Wasn't sure if I'd go there on the opening day, but if there's a chance of the natives kicking off it'll be well worth going to have a good laugh.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Seems so.

HYUFD levels of foresight.

Can you help us out with the 2.30 at Chepstow?
    Probably
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
  • Options

Stocky said:

Thoughts?

FTPA means he cant do that............still needs support from Parliament
    He might have to engineer his own No Confidence Vote in himself. :lol:
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    I have every sympathy with the neighbours. Imagine if you didn't report the distressed screams of the lady next door and she was hospitalized or even murdered. You'd never forgive yourself. Something similar happened to friend of mine. He didn't like his particular neighbour - a known drug dealer and vagabond - but felt compelled to call the police when he saw a group of hoodlums storming through the guy's front door with baseball bats.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    All going to shit: Ken Clarke on WATO to say Johnson not taking it seriously, JRM quoted as calling neighbours "curtain-twitching Corbynistas." What an arse.
  • Options
    If Boris had any serious tactical nous he would very publically go around to the neighbours and thank them for their concern when there was a lot of noise last Friday.

Whole thing would be dead by tomorrow evening.
This discussion has been closed.