Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Happy anniversary. Brexit three years on from the referendum

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Is it me or is the discourse getting more depressing and divisive day by day, both on here, and in the Country with not an end in sight

I do wonder just how long this painful environment is going to go on with no one acting as a peacemaker.

Maybe we need a GE or a referendum to break the Gordian knot but even that is uncertain.

Time to turn attention to the joys of our grandchildren and step back from the constant and unsettling problems with our Country

Your lot started it. It’s your monkey.
    Excuse me. Everyone is as bad as everyone else and your remark just makes my point. Childish
    No. Brexit was not a salient issue until Cameron made it one by arrogantly calling a referendum he thought he couldn’t lose. Now it defines UK politics in the same way that the relationship with the UK defines Northern Ireland politics. We are in thrall to a larger and more powerful neighbour.

This dreadful condition has been imposed upon us because of the long-held obsessions of one wing of the Tory party, indulged by a weak Prime Minister. Your party will rightly be held responsible and will never be forgiven.
    It became a salient issue once enough of the voters decided that it was a salient issue.

Once 10% of population start voting on a single issue, they can start throwing a system based on First Past the Post into turmoil, even without winning a single seat, because they force other parties to move towards their position.
    More than 10% of the population are committed Remainers. Brexit is unsustainable, no matter what happens in the next 6 months.
    And more than 10% of the population are convinced that the EU is a hostile power against which they need to fight for their freedom.

So how do we resolve this?
    Defeat them.
    Defeat the remainers?

We did that but you will not accept it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    rcs1000 said:

Sorry to belabour the point, but is Bannon a proven liar?

(Yes, I know he's a scumbag. But that's a different question.)

No idea about his track record, but in the clip he mentions it was a text conversation with Boris, so it should be easy to establish what was said.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Shoot the messenger you mean. Carole Codswallop is a witness to nothing.

As for the ludicrous video she is touting, it is a onesided video where the egomaniac Bannon claims [emphasis on claims] to be more important than he is recognised for. Something categorically denied by Johnson. Now is Bannon a paragon of virtue or honesty? Or is he an egomaniacal self-publicising pathological liar who is not above making stuff up?

Are we supposed to take Bannon's word for it?

...and there's another trope. I pointed this out a few weeks ago: people slap words before or after a term to tilt the argument, eg "clean" Brexit or "technical" recession. You piled in there: not "video" but "ludicrous video", not "Bannon" but "egomaniac Bannon", not "liar" but (deep breath) "egomaniacal self-publicising pathological liar". I think "weasel words" is the term for this, tho' no doubt somebody will correct me or suggest a better one.

So. Let's strip your point of the weasel words and look at it calmly.

"...As for the video, it is a video where Bannon claims to be more important than he is recognised for. Something denied by Johnson. Now is Bannon lying?.."

I don't know. You might be right, you might not. But in order to get to this point, we had to get you off repeatedly attacking Cadwalladr and strip out the weasel words for your statement . And the fact that I had to do that was my point: people don't examine the point any more, they just attack the witness.

No weasel words is the wrong term. A weasel word is deliberately ambiguous. My words couldn't be less ambiguous. I think the correct word is perhaps adverb? I am not an English teacher.
    Damn, I thought "weasel words" was the right phrase. OK, PB Brains Trust. What are is the phrase for the trope whereby words are adjoined to a term to make that term seem more/less attractive? The examples are "clean" Brexit, "technical" recession, or "ludicrous" video, tho' there are others.
    Surely adjective? Or adverb?

Clean is surely an adjective?
    All of those examples are adjectives, not adverbs.

The term @viewcode is after is surely "spin".
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Is it me or is the discourse getting more depressing and divisive day by day, both on here, and in the Country with not an end in sight

I do wonder just how long this painful environment is going to go on with no one acting as a peacemaker.

Maybe we need a GE or a referendum to break the Gordian knot but even that is uncertain.

Time to turn attention to the joys of our grandchildren and step back from the constant and unsettling problems with our Country

Excuse me. Everyone is as bad as everyone else and your remark just makes my point. Childish
    No. Brexit was not a salient issue until Cameron made it one by arrogantly calling a referendum he thought he couldn’t lose. Now it defines UK politics in the same way that the relationship with the UK defines Northern Ireland politics. We are in thrall to a larger and more powerful neighbour.

This dreadful condition has been imposed upon us because of the long-held obsessions of one wing of the Tory party, indulged by a weak Prime Minister. Your party will rightly be held responsible and will never be forgiven.
    Im afraid this is correct.

The Conservative Party will long be tarnished by this scandalous malfeasance.
    And it would have failed if Corbyn had backed a referendum and campaigned to remain from day 1.

Corbyn has as much to answer for as the brexiteers
    Corbyn campaigned more than any other Labour MP, grow up and blame your own side rather than others for failing to stop you.
    In fairness to Corbyn, I've never thought he owed any obligation to anyone to campaign hard for Remain. Labour members cannot have been unaware of his voting record when they elected him.
    You could argue there is some responsibility as party leader to campaign for the parties position, which he more than fulfilled. It is telling that those who criticise Corbyn for this don't criticise the Labour MPs who did less than him for remain, which is every other Labour MP*

*The 2016 ones.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

It became a salient issue once enough of the voters decided that it was a salient issue.

Once 10% of population start voting on a single issue, they can start throwing a system based on First Past the Post into turmoil, even without winning a single seat, because they force other parties to move towards their position.
    More than 10% of the population are committed Remainers. Brexit is unsustainable, no matter what happens in the next 6 months.
    And more than 10% of the population are convinced that the EU is a hostile power against which they need to fight for their freedom.

Defeat them.
    Defeat the remainers?

Hah - we're not defeated then! :smile:
  • Options

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

More than 10% of the population are committed Leavers. Remaining is unsustainable, no matter what happens in the next 6 months

Now what?
    Playing a constructive role in European integration is a viable national strategy for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. A British nationalism that seeks to disconnect us from the rest of Europe is not. However long it takes to get resolved, there can only be one ending.
    Yes - rejection of an EU superstate and therefore we must leave now.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

As for the ludicrous video she is touting, it is a onesided video where the egomaniac Bannon claims [emphasis on claims] to be more important than he is recognised for. Something categorically denied by Johnson. Now is Bannon a paragon of virtue or honesty? Or is he an egomaniacal self-publicising pathological liar who is not above making stuff up?

...and there's another trope. I pointed this out a few weeks ago: people slap words before or after a term to tilt the argument, eg "clean" Brexit or "technical" recession. You piled in there: not "video" but "ludicrous video", not "Bannon" but "egomaniac Bannon", not "liar" but (deep breath) "egomaniacal self-publicising pathological liar". I think "weasel words" is the term for this, tho' no doubt somebody will correct me or suggest a better one.

"...As for the video, it is a video where Bannon claims to be more important than he is recognised for. Something denied by Johnson. Now is Bannon lying?.."

I don't know. You might be right, you might not. But in order to get to this point, we had to get you off repeatedly attacking Cadwalladr and strip out the weasel words for your statement . And the fact that I had to do that was my point: people don't examine the point any more, they just attack the witness.

No weasel words is the wrong term. A weasel word is deliberately ambiguous. My words couldn't be less ambiguous. I think the correct word is perhaps adverb? I am not an English teacher.
    Damn, I thought "weasel words" was the right phrase. OK, PB Brains Trust. What are is the phrase for the trope whereby words are adjoined to a term to make that term seem more/less attractive? The examples are "clean" Brexit, "technical" recession, or "ludicrous" video, tho' there are others.

Yes, these are adjectives. Ones with spin, but adjectives.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Defeat them.
    Should I start small-arms training?
  • Options

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

And it would have failed if Corbyn had backed a referendum and campaigned to remain from day 1.

Corbyn campaigned more than any other Labour MP, grow up and blame your own side rather than others for failing to stop you.
    Ha ha -- said with a straight face lol

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

I would remind you I voted remain and accept we need to leave but in a sensible way.

Corbyn's inability to back a referendum puts labour in the dock as well and you can protest as much as you like but labour are complicit in this chaos
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Defeat them.
    Should I start small-arms training?
    William probably thinks EU peacekeepers would be a great idea.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Defeat them.
    Defeat the remainers?

Remainers = Palpatine :)
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    I suppose it’s possible Steve Bannon is confusing Boris with Jacob Rees-Mogg, who beat a path to his door a year or so back as I recall. Both Latin-spouting comedy Englishmen with odd geopolitical ideas. Easy to get mixed up? Dunno...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899

rcs1000 said:

I always lie. In fact, I am lying to you now!
    No you're not. :)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

More than 10% of the population are committed Leavers. Remaining is unsustainable, no matter what happens in the next 6 months

Now what?
    Playing a constructive role in European integration is a viable national strategy for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. A British nationalism that seeks to disconnect us from the rest of Europe is not. However long it takes to get resolved, there can only be one ending.
    The latter is viable. You just don't like it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Never been to Dundee in my life...

I have!

• Options
    nichomar said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Cluster fuck
    :)
  • Options

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Defeat them.
    Defeat the remainers?

Lost on me Sunil :neutral:
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Spinverbs! Spinjectives! Oooh, I might go with that!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

nico67 said:

Hopefully the Scottish government will have a good refugee programme for those escaping from south of the border !

Scotland needs to escape the madness and gain quick re entry into the EU . It will have more say there than being stuck with Westminster .

You are bonkers
    What’s bonkers about it. Just imagine how much business Scotland can see relocate from ERGistan!

The EU would fast track them in. It’s a shame London couldn’t become a City State , they can keep all their tax money and not have to subsidize Leave areas who do nothing but bitch and moan about London .

If Leavers don’t give a fig about the Union why should Remainers . I used to be a unionist and part of my Remain vote was because of that but it’s clear now that Scotland should leave and not have to put up with the failed state south of the border .
    While in the real world the only region of the UK which has lower employment now than it did five years ago is Scotland:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48664613
    Let me explain how this works.

Possibility one: Scotland's economy is creating more jobs than England & Wales. Ha! Look, we're doing so much better than you. This is proof that we don't need you, and would be better off independent.

Possibility two: Scotland's economy is creating fewer jobs than England & Wales. English scum are stealing our jobs. This is proof we would be better off independent.
    Possibility three: Scotland's economy is creating fewer jobs than England & Wales. Evil Tory scum are preventing the immigration we need [since we're scaring off the English with our rhetoric and have negative natural population growth]. Labour are too weak to do anything about this.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Star Wars is irrelevant

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Defeat them.
    Defeat the remainers?

• Options
    edited June 2019

I would remind you I voted remain and accept we need to leave but in a sensible way.

Corbyn's inability to back a referendum puts labour in the dock as well and you can protest as much as you like but labour are complicit in this chaos

You don't back another referendum yourself? Or you don't sometimes...

So you condemn Corbyn for doing that which you don't do yourself, hypocrisy surely?

Also you may not have noticed but Corbyn has actually backed a referendum with votes in the houses of Parliament, it is once again your side (the Conservatives) that is causing the problems and then blocking the exits. That is if as you claim backing another referendum is a solution to the problem (potentially it is)

If you have a problem with the Brexit chaos then it is the Conservatives who deserve your criticism, they are almost wholly responsible for where we have ended up.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Embellishments? Exaggerations? Overstatements? Hyperbole?

• Options

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Defeat them.
    Defeat the remainers?

Star Wars Episode IX reference...
  • Options
    Floater said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Ha ha -- said with a straight face lol

I wouldn't expect you to be convinced by something that wasn't backed up by the likes of Breitbart and Guido...
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Cameron’s fateful decision will surely go down in history as one of the worst ever made .

He then ran a dreadful campaign , ignoring pleas to move away from the economy and try to talk about other issues and bring a bit of emotion into things.

Corbyns useless attempts didn’t help , he spent most of the time slagging off the Tories rather than talking about the EU.

The media were obsessed with the David and Bozo show . The BBC in its desperate attempt to not look biased used false equivalency .

It pitted one pro EU expert in a field against one pro Brexit but never mentioned that 95% of opinion was behind the former , it suggested a balanced for and against position .

At the end though it was Cameron who owns the whole sorry mess. He couldn’t even get Tory voters to even split between Remain and Leave .

• Options

So you condemn Corbyn for doing that which you don't do yourself, hypocrisy surely?

Also you may not have noticed but Corbyn has actually backed a referendum with votes in the houses of Parliament, it is once again your side (the Conservatives) that is causing the problems and then blocking the exits.

If you have a problem with the Brexit chaos then it is the Conservatives who deserve your criticism, they are almost wholly responsible for where we have ended up.
    Labour are certainly blocking the exits. Let's face it, it wouldn't matter what was in the WA, they'd have voted it down.

I don't blame them for this particularly. They saw the chance to destroy the government and took it. The danger is they could be destroying themselves at the same time.

Like Sinn Fein and the DUP, the Labour and Conservative parties need the other, to give people a reason to vote for them. When one collapses in the polls, so does the other.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,450
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Now what?
    William sees the total destruction of the United Kingdom as just punishment for it having the temerity to vote to Leave, and insurance against it ever happening again.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

I suppose it’s possible Steve Bannon is confusing Boris with Jacob Rees-Mogg, who beat a path to his door a year or so back as I recall. Both Latin-spouting comedy Englishmen with odd geopolitical ideas. Easy to get mixed up? Dunno...

You think JRM texts?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Cameron’s fateful decision will surely go down in history as one of the worst ever made .

He then ran a dreadful campaign , ignoring pleas to move away from the economy and try to talk about other issues and bring a bit of emotion into things.

Corbyns useless attempts didn’t help , he spent most of the time slagging off the Tories rather than talking about the EU.

The media were obsessed with the David and Bozo show . The BBC in its desperate attempt to not look biased used false equivalency .

It pitted one pro EU expert in a field against one pro Brexit but never mentioned that 95% of opinion was behind the former , it suggested a balanced for and against position .

At the end though it was Cameron who owns the whole sorry mess. He couldn’t even get Tory voters to even split between Remain and Leave .

The sad thing is that voters have minds of their own. They don't do what the politicians want.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

In fairness to Corbyn, I've never thought he owed any obligation to anyone to campaign hard for Remain. Labour members cannot have been unaware of his voting record when they elected him.
    They chose to believe that he didn't really mean it.
  • Options

You think JRM texts?
    He's probably got a footman who texts for him.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Also you may not have noticed but Corbyn has actually backed a referendum with votes in the houses of Parliament, it is once again your side (the Conservatives) that is causing the problems and then blocking the exits.

Labour are certainly blocking the exits. Let's face it, it wouldn't matter what was in the WA, they'd have voted it down.

I don't blame them for this particularly. They saw the chance to destroy the government and took it. The danger is they could be destroying themselves at the same time.

Like Sinn Fein and the DUP, the Labour and Conservative parties need the other, to give people a reason to vote for them. When one collapses in the polls, so does the other.
    Labour have dug two graves.
  • Options

I accept ERG are very much responsible, but the agonies over a referendum by labour and Corbyns refusal is causing the collapse in their ratings to the Lib Dems and to TBP in leave areas.

I want to leave on TM deal or similar but accept the HOC may force a referendum or GE and it may well be the only way out

I reject the UKIP infiltration of my party but I only have one vote that will go to Hunt as I have always said I would not vote for Boris
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Auxesis?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I did just add a bit in, the post was particularly in response to Big G talking about Corbyn inability to back another referendum as if that was the solution and it was Corbyn that was blocking it, but it isn't. The Tories have blocked another referendum, it has been overwhelmingly voted for without them.

Saying Labour blocked May's deal as an exit and also no deal (or have voted that way anyway) is true, which is why I slightly changed my post to specify that part was in response to Big G.

Everyone is blocking ways, or pulling other ways but if Big G is specifying Brexit to be the problem and another referendum to be the possible solution then the Tories are almost completely at fault. If no deal or May's deal are the answer then Labour share blame for blocking those, although generally quite proudly so.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Auxesis?
    Bless you :lol:
  • Options

You think JRM texts?
    He's probably got a footman who texts for him.
    Semaphore, surely :lol:
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Now what?
    William sees the total destruction of the United Kingdom as just punishment for it having the temerity to vote to Leave, and insurance against it ever happening again.
    Whether it's just punishment or not, it's clearly a probable consequence.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Now what?
    When you think the British identity that would be necessary for it to become viable will become the superior one in constituent parts of the UK? Conservative members seem to be hiding there commitment to Britishness pretty well.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    "Do you want total Brexit?!" :lol:
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Scott_P said:
    Pass me the sick bag ! More jingoistic clap trap .
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    “those who think the decision to leave was correct and those who think the country is making a huge mistake.”
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

I accept ERG are very much responsible, but the agonies over a referendum by labour and Corbyns refusal is causing the collapse in their ratings to the Lib Dems and to TBP in leave areas.

I want to leave on TM deal or similar but accept the HOC may force a referendum or GE and it may well be the only way out

I reject the UKIP infiltration of my party but I only have one vote that will go to Hunt as I have always said I would not vote for Boris
    There is no UKIP infiltration of your party. That is just an excuse made by the pro-EU faction to try and hide from the fact they have long been been a tiny minority in the Conservative movement.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-steve-bannon-gets-caught-in-a-crazy-impeachment-lie-about-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-in-the-brink

He also somewhat unbelievably said that Trump has "never lied"
  • Options
    edited June 2019

The EU election boosted it a bit but things seem to be calming down slightly in Labour polling, most recent polls show us ahead (I think all but YouGov)

I think Labour have pretty much already shifted to a referendum on any deal position anyway, the argument seems to be more about what we campaign for in that referendum (if it happens)

My personal preference would be the same as last time with people free to campaign for whichever side they want.

Edit: Although I wouldn't mind Corbyn staying out of it altogether, give people less excuse to have a go at him if they don't win.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I did just add a bit in, the post was particularly in response to Big G talking about Corbyn inability to back another referendum as if that was the solution and it was Corbyn that was blocking it, but it isn't. The Tories have blocked another referendum, it has been overwhelmingly voted for without them.

Saying Labour blocked May's deal as an exit and also no deal (or have voted that way anyway) is true, which is why I slightly changed my post to specify that part was in response to Big G.

Everyone is blocking ways, or pulling other ways but if Big G is specifying Brexit to be the problem and another referendum to be the possible solution then the Tories are almost completely at fault. If no deal or May's deal are the answer then Labour share blame for blocking those, although generally quite proudly so.
    My posts state that I support TM deal or similar and I do not support Boris

My reference to a GE or referendum was stating an option towards a solution but I am neutral on both

Corbyn's refusal to whip his mps for a referendum to remain and unite all the oposition has added to the deadlock
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited June 2019
    About the only thing of any note one can glean from Johnson's column is a hint that he might ditch restrictions on Freedom of Movement as a path to a deal. But it's only a very slight hint.

And really it's not clear how ditching that red line would improve the chances of a deal being accepted by the HoC anyway.
  • Options

My posts state that I support TM deal or similar and I do not support Boris

My reference to a GE or referendum was stating an option towards a solution but I am neutral on both

Corbyn's refusal to whip his mps for a referendum to remain and unite all the oposition has added to the deadlock

But he has whipped them for a referendum... it has lost every time because the Conservatives have voted it down...

He has also tried for your other solution, a GE.

It turns out Corbyn whipping for these things doesn't solve the problem as there are hundreds of Conservative MPs who vote against these solutions you suggest.
  • Options
    alex. said:

About the only thing of any note one can glean from Johnson's column is a hint that he might ditch restrictions on Freedom of Movement as a path to a deal. But it's only a very slight hint.

And really it's not clear how ditching that red line would improve the chances of a deal being accepted by the HoC anyway.

He might be able to unlock quite a bit more from the EU for that.

But, many Leavers and TBP would cry foul.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Sean_F said:

nico67 said:

The sad thing is that voters have minds of their own. They don't do what the politicians want.
    How many EU countries would be stupid enough to have a referendum and leave this kind of decision out of a national election? Even Le Pen and Salvini et al wouldn't inflict an referendum and EU exit on their country?

We had at a moment in time three utterly useless, clueless, political leaders...Cameron, Clegg and Miliband....all three of them are responsible for this debacle
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

No. Brexit was not a salient issue until Cameron made it one by arrogantly calling a referendum he thought he couldn’t lose.

Now what?
    Whether it's just punishment or not, it's clearly a probable consequence.
    Not really. Scottish independence got close five years ago before any of this Brexit stuff happened.
  • Options

alex. said:

He might be able to unlock quite a bit more from the EU for that.

But, many Leavers and TBP would cry foul.
    Yes, so it would basically require a significant number of Labour votes. And for Labour leavers immigration is THE issue. And the backstop would still remain.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    MrsB said:

MrsB said:

how about whoever becomes Tory leader goes for a General Election, with an election pact with the Brexit party? Brexit/Tory coalition with thumping majority. And God help us all.

So they get their majority but what happens next ?

What do they agree to do ?
    Take us out of the EU with no deal. Stop immigration. Repeal equalities legislation. Repeal worker's rights protection. Refuse to do anything about climate change. Lower taxes for higher earners, reduce benefits. Privatise everything in sight. Screw our ability to get factual information. Screw the economy. Break up the Union. Enable more rightwing thuggery on our streets. Arrest and beat up peaceful protestors.

And so on and so on.
    Bit of advice - spend less time on the internet and bit more in the real world.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Deceitful or fallacious is the best I can come up with as in the cases you cite they are all adjectives added with purpose of spinning or misleading people
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

MrsB said:

MrsB said:

how about whoever becomes Tory leader goes for a General Election, with an election pact with the Brexit party? Brexit/Tory coalition with thumping majority. And God help us all.

So they get their majority but what happens next ?

What do they agree to do ?
    Take us out of the EU with no deal. Stop immigration. Repeal equalities legislation. Repeal worker's rights protection. Refuse to do anything about climate change. Lower taxes for higher earners, reduce benefits. Privatise everything in sight. Screw our ability to get factual information. Screw the economy. Break up the Union. Enable more rightwing thuggery on our streets. Arrest and beat up peaceful protestors.

And so on and so on.
    Bit of advice - spend less time on the internet and bit more in the real world.
    Maybe Mrs B should add a little more water to whatever she's drinking.
  • Options
    alex. said:
    Vapid bilge?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Scott_P said:
    I wonder what Johnson was so keen to hide on his laptop? He obviously does not trust his girlfriend with the information or images he had on the machine. To be honest he should confess if he was masturbating over porn films or images IMO and defuse the situation. His relationship is probably done for if he was hiding anything else anyway so what has he got to lose?
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

Scott_P said:
    I wonder what Johnson was so keen to hide on his laptop? He obviously does not trust his girlfriend with the information or images he had on the machine. To be honest he should confess if he was masturbating over porn films or images IMO and defuse the situation. His relationship is probably done for if he was hiding anything else anyway so what has he got to lose?
    Oh grow up.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    More speculation. I can do that too - she might have been taking it off him to make him clean up the mess he made.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Streeter said:

My monkey and myself are the only ones without something to hide.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

What’s bonkers about it. Just imagine how much business Scotland can see relocate from ERGistan!

The EU would fast track them in. It’s a shame London couldn’t become a City State , they can keep all their tax money and not have to subsidize Leave areas who do nothing but bitch and moan about London .

If Leavers don’t give a fig about the Union why should Remainers . I used to be a unionist and part of my Remain vote was because of that but it’s clear now that Scotland should leave and not have to put up with the failed state south of the border .

While in the real world the only region of the UK which has lower employment now than it did five years ago is Scotland:

Not so many zero hour jobs in Scotland you muppet
    Not so many high paid North Sea oil jobs would be more accurate.

And that's something which Scotland should be concerned about.
    rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

Let me explain how this works.

Possibility one: Scotland's economy is creating more jobs than England & Wales. Ha! Look, we're doing so much better than you. This is proof that we don't need you, and would be better off independent.

Possibility two: Scotland's economy is creating fewer jobs than England & Wales. English scum are stealing our jobs. This is proof we would be better off independent.
    :lol:
  • Options

There is no UKIP infiltration of your party. That is just an excuse made by the pro-EU faction to try and hide from the fact they have long been been a tiny minority in the Conservative movement.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/04/leaked-emails-show-infiltration-fears-before-dominic-grieve-tory-confidence-vote
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    More speculation. I can do that too - she might have been taking it off him to make him clean up the mess he made.
    It was his Brexit masterplan.

It does seem very strange that he hasn't given an account of what happened. It doesn't seem likely that his girlfriend will contradict him, so why not just come up with something sensible?
  • Options
    alex. said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    So there is a plan? :o
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I can see why his girlfriend was so pissed off with him spilling red wine on her sofa though..my wife has never forgiven me for my own offence...and we are going back over 10 years...

I bet Carrie's sofa was a loaf....
  • Options
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,323
    RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes, a pflan.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Sean_F said:

nico67 said:

How many EU countries would be stupid enough to have a referendum and leave this kind of decision out of a national election? Even Le Pen and Salvini et al wouldn't inflict an referendum and EU exit on their country?

We had at a moment in time three utterly useless, clueless, political leaders...Cameron, Clegg and Miliband....all three of them are responsible for this debacle
    Cameron, Clegg and Miliband are useless? Have you just woken from a coma you entered in 2015?

I have some bad news for you, over the next 4 or so years it gets progressively worse. A soviet era Marxist takes over the Labour Party, the Russians hijack the 2016 US Presidential election...but wait there's more, someone called Boris becomes PM.
  • Options
    Anyone know what Boris is paying for his flat ?

According to the Sunday Times his neighbours bought their's for £850k and it has previously housed council tenants.

Now we all have different housing preferences but Boris must be paying a fortune to live in some council block in Peckham with leftie lovies as neighbours.

That alone should be enough to question his judgement.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    If Johnson wins will he be the first PM in history publicly conducting an unmarried relationship from within 10 Downing Street? Tory blue rinses will forgive anything these days.
  • Options
    All I see is "Pressure on Boris to come"

Wasn't aware things had gotten so bad with his mistress.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    He is certainly a HARD Brexiteer!
  • Options
    RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    There was. But it got lost when the laptop hit the wall. He hadn't pressed save.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Scott_P said:
    I can see why his girlfriend was so pissed off with him spilling red wine on her sofa though..my wife has never forgiven me for my own offence...and we are going back over 10 years...

I thought you blamed it on Trotsky.

That was the name of your dog wasn't it ?
  • Options
    OMG. 'Pressure on Boris to come'? I tbink we are entering a private world that only Boris and Carrie should be party to and we would be wise to row back from.
  • Options
    alex. said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    There was. But it got lost when the laptop hit the wall. He hadn't pressed save.
    He should have used the cloud...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Johnson's neighbours will certainly be pleased that they can now get a good night's sleep.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Somebody should tell Hunt to stay off twitter though. In fact i don't understand why any serious politician is on there at all. Stick to serious arguments that need more than 40 characters. Everytime he posts something on twitter he undermines his pitch.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    ..in Boris' very untidy Toyota Previa?
  • Options

According to the Sunday Times his neighbours bought their's for £850k and it has previously housed council tenants.

Now we all have different housing preferences but Boris must be paying a fortune to live in some council block in Peckham with leftie lovies as neighbours.

It's Miss Symonds flat. Boris got chucked out of his house by his wife.

Will he be our first homeless Prime Minister?
  • Options

tyson said:

Scott_P said:

I thought you blamed it on Trotsky.

That was the name of your dog wasn't it ?
    wow (double wow).....I am so impressed Richard...I did discuss said wine/sofa problem here probably ten or so years ago....and blamed Trotsky who is still barking...

I am utterly and incredulously gobsmacked that you can remember....
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Among the Ferrero Rocher pyramids, all is not well:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1142892108203876353?s=21
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

Not his flat. STimes says it is Carrie's and he has no financial interest.
This discussion has been closed.