Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit: Some Inconvenient Facts that the Tories need to face

1235»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    alex. said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    I’m sorry but most couples row, it’s normal , he spilt wine on the sofa , they had a tiff, so what , he hasn’t beaten her up , she may have lost her temper , you wanna year my wife when I’m in the doghouse, this is all so overblown , it’s become a media feeding frenzy over a non event , with politically motivated neighbours who sold the recording to the guardian invading their neighbours basic privacy rights. Why not just call the police if you are so concerned ?? It’s a circus motivated to bring down Boris
    I don't even like Boris, but this story is shit. People argue.

It would probably reduce the guff quotient if people who occupy more-or-less the same political area as Boris prefacing their defences of him with 'I don't even like Boris' realised that it isn't convincing anyone.

I have been married for 30 years and have had plenty of rows with my wife. Before yesterday I thought it was unremarkable that the police had never been called to investigate. Clearly, though, we are an exception to the rule.
    Try living next door to someone who hates you, leaves posters attacking you on your car, and wants to shame you publicly so you wont get a job you're after

How do you know that applies in the Johnson case. I know you want it to be true, but how do you know? Do you think those concerned are lying to the Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/22/boris-johnson-neighbour-interview-call-police
    It was reported that someone - don’t know if the same neighbour - was leaving anti-Brexit posters that featured Boris on his car. That’s passive-aggressive at best!
    They are pissed off that he keeps parking illegally, in spots reserved for them and they pay for, because he's so rich that he couldn't care less about all the parking tickets he gets.
    It'd be brilliant if he didn't get the tickets because any requests about the car would end up 'restricted'. ;)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    Tim_B said:

The parallel between Trump's salacious past in 2016 and Boris Johnson's today is intriguing. In 2016 Trump's history was already well known and was essentially baked in to his support. Revelations during the campaign appeared not to have much effect.

Likewise, Johnson's history is well known today, and presumably (?) baked in to a greater or lesser extent.

The BBC keeps quoting people as saying Johnson is not 'fit' to be prime minister, whatever that means. I'm not aware of any honesty or morality levels required to be PM. All you need is electability and that other ability - the ability to get things done.

It depends on your own standards. If you don't have any you will not be fussed whether or not our Prime Minister does.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    I’m sorry but most couples row, it’s normal , he spilt wine on the sofa , they had a tiff, so what , he hasn’t beaten her up , she may have lost her temper , you wanna year my wife when I’m in the doghouse, this is all so overblown , it’s become a media feeding frenzy over a non event , with politically motivated neighbours who sold the recording to the guardian invading their neighbours basic privacy rights. Why not just call the police if you are so concerned ?? It’s a circus motivated to bring down Boris

It would probably reduce the guff quotient if people who occupy more-or-less the same political area as Boris prefacing their defences of him with 'I don't even like Boris' realised that it isn't convincing anyone.

I have been married for 30 years and have had plenty of rows with my wife. Before yesterday I thought it was unremarkable that the police had never been called to investigate. Clearly, though, we are an exception to the rule.
    Try living next door to someone who hates you, leaves posters attacking you on your car, and wants to shame you publicly so you wont get a job you're after

How do you know that applies in the Johnson case. I know you want it to be true, but how do you know? Do you think those concerned are lying to the Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/22/boris-johnson-neighbour-interview-call-police
    I think it is established that the neighbours recorded Johnson in his partner's home and then contacted a national newspaper hostile to Johnson to sell them the details. From that I think it is reasonable to cast doubt on their motives and on whether their account can be fully relied upon.

I don't believe it is established in any way at all that money changed hands for the recordings.

If they weren’t selling it presumably they must have had some other motive?

A political one possibly?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,880

GIN1138 said:

Wonder if JRM's ever had the police at his door following a bust up at midnight? :D
    Noone's near enough to hear, are they?
    He has a well-insulated cellar, with gutters in the floor to carry away the blood and smaller bits. The rest are mopped up by blinded servants who are descended from 19th Century family captives, kept in the dark and chained near the cesspit. One word of complaint and they are thrown into the pit, never to return. The few recordings to have made it out are handled under SCP protocols. Escapees do not live long, and autopsies cannot cope with their changed anatomy. Study is therefore difficult.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126
    Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

It was reported that someone - don’t know if the same neighbour - was leaving anti-Brexit posters that featured Boris on his car. That’s passive-aggressive at best!
    In the Guardian article the neighbours who reported the potential assault said that they were not part of the anti-Johnson campaign among the other neighbours. To be honest most people in inner London hate Johnson, I can't imagine anyone would be happy having him in their midst.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

I think it is established that the neighbours recorded Johnson in his partner's home and then contacted a national newspaper hostile to Johnson to sell them the details. From that I think it is reasonable to cast doubt on their motives and on whether their account can be fully relied upon.

I don't believe it is established in any way at all that money changed hands for the recordings.

I know. People doing things for free. Must be political then. What other motives could humans possibly have?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    alex. said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

They are pissed off that he keeps parking illegally, in spots reserved for them and they pay for, because he's so rich that he couldn't care less about all the parking tickets he gets.
    Having spent many years living in London I fully understand how that would p*ss off lots of people. It also suggests that he believes that parking regulations are just for the little people.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

The parking wardens round there need to sharpen up. They could visit morning and evening and hit him for £40 (£80 if not paid promptly, which seems likely in his case) a time. That’s about £20,000 a year, pro-rated to the amount of time his car is there.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes snd Boris replied 'superb'
    Not how The Sun is reporting it....
    No that was exactly what the Sun reported.

You wrote: He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes snd Boris replied 'superb'

The Sun wrote:

After being told he had to sit in the hot seat for less than 10 minutes more he quipped "superb", before he was asked if he was bored.

I wouldn't call that 'exactly'.
    Keep spreading that 'fake news'
    Which of us quoted the Sun accurately, and who did not?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9352789/boris-johnson-bored-tory-grilling/

Readers can make their own minds up.....unless you have a link to a Sun article with your version?
    You completely omitted the Boris line 'superb' until I mentioned it
    You spun The Sun "After being told he had to sit in the hot seat for less than 10 minutes more he quipped" as "He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes" missing the "less than" and "quipped" from The Sun's reporting. Which went to the original point - has Boris lost The Sun? With unfriendly reporting like that...possibly....
  • Options
    OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

The cult of BoZo is every bit as mad as the cult of Corbyn.

In contemporary politics, every side thinks they are the only sane ones. Quite awful really, diversity of opinion is not allowed, all dissenters are mentally ill or dupes.
    Likewise everyone expressing outrage that Johnson's privacy has been invaded would be saying the exact opposite if the incident had involved Corbyn
    Nope.

It’s only justified if there’s a Public Interest in the matter.

Man and girlfriend have fight is a private matter
  • Options

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Won't matter. I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it. Heck, .

Perhaps you should try to distinguish "accepted fact" from ludicrous stuff g.
    I'm not the one deciding specific rsial.
    In that case you shouldn't mislead people by describing something as "accepted fact" when it's nonsense.

This site used to be a place where reliable information could be found. Evidently not any more.
    I said from the sounds of it had become accepted fact, and was pretty clear who I thought it was accepted fact to. I did not claim I thought it fact or that was fact, so screw you for implying I was peddling unreliable information. It was a comment on how I expect some people to perceive the incident.

Its perhaps the case I could have been clearer. But before you condescend about it you might get your own facts right about what I said. Instead you condemn me for something I did not say.

So rather than this place not providing reliable Information how about you look in the mirror and not look a fool for accusing me of peddling information when I was not.

For christ sake my whole point was people are accepting something as fact which might not be, and you take that as me saying it is fact? Idiot.
    I came here and specifically asked a question about whether there was any evidence that the neighbours who complained to the police were the same who had put a poster on Johnson's car, as one commenter had claimed.

FFS, we are not your research assistants.

You have as much access to information in the public domain as anyone else.

No one on pb.com has any private sources of information on the behaviour of all Boris' neighbours. And if they did, I'd be worried .
    Well, we'll know when the Sundays come out if anyone knows.

I did think Boris gave a stupidly poor answer to Iain Dale's very obvious first question. He should have put it into the third person and said something like. "There was an incident where the police were called to our flat, not by us. This was most unfortunate and neither Carrie ( is it Carrie, shows how much I care ) nor I are able to discuss this matter further."

To any follow up question he could then have said "It was most unfortunate."
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

If they weren’t selling it
    If they were selling it, why would they go to the Guardian (do they even pay?)

I'm sure there's a lot more money elsewhere....
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

In contemporary politics, every side thinks they are the only sane ones. Quite awful really, diversity of opinion is not allowed, all dissenters are mentally ill or dupes.
    Likewise everyone expressing outrage that Johnson's privacy has been invaded would be saying the exact opposite if the incident had involved Corbyn
    Character of potential PM is not a public matter?
  • Options
    Tory members - who have spent years criticising and laughing at Labour members’ loyalty to Corbyn - are now just as blinkered to Johnson’s glaring weaknesses.
  • Options

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Won't matter. I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it. Heck, .

In that case you shouldn't mislead people by describing something as "accepted fact" when it's nonsense.

This site used to be a place where reliable information could be found. Evidently not any more.
    I said from the sounds of it had become accepted fact, and was pretty clear who I thought it was accepted fact to. I did not claim I thought it fact or that was fact, so screw you for implying I was peddling unreliable information. It was a comment on how I expect some people to perceive the incident.

Its perhaps the case I could have been clearer. But before you condescend about it you might get your own facts right about what I said. Instead you condemn me for something I did not say.

So rather than this place not providing reliable Information how about you look in the mirror and not look a fool for accusing me of peddling information when I was not.

For christ sake my whole point was people are accepting something as fact which might not be, and you take that as me saying it is fact? Idiot.
    I came here and specifically asked a question about whether there was any evidence that the neighbours who complained to the police were the same who had put a poster on Johnson's car, as one commenter had claimed.

No one on pb.com has any private sources of information on the behaviour of all Boris' neighbours. And if they did, I'd be worried .

I did think Boris gave a stupidly poor answer to Iain Dale's very obvious first question. He should have put it into the third person and said something like. "There was an incident where the police were called to our flat, not by us. This was most unfortunate and neither Carrie ( is it Carrie, shows how much I care ) nor I are able to discuss this matter further."

You'd have thought he'd have something prepared......
  • Options
    Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Nope.

A man and a woman having a “fight” is certainly not a private matter, particularly if the late night altercation can be heard by residents all around.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

You'd have thought he'd have something prepared......
    His memory's probably not up to it. He'd screw it up.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tory members - who have spent years criticising and laughing at Labour members’ loyalty to Corbyn - are now just as blinkered to Johnson’s glaring weaknesses.

All of them?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,780

IanB2 said:

All of them?
    Very similar proportion as Labour members and Corbyn.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,719
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Nope.

A man and a woman having a “fight” is certainly not a private matter, particularly if the late night altercation can be heard by residents all around.
    If the man in question is hoping to be PM soon, it is clearly in the public interest.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Some inconvenient facts diehard Remainers need to face.

As Yougov showed yesterday if the Withdrawal Agreement is passed by October 31st and we have left the EU by then then either a Boris led Tory Party or a Hunt led Tories will win an overall majority (or on a platform to leave by October 31st) and we move towards a FTA for GB and likely still the backstop for Northern Ireland ultimately maybe with a confirmatory referendum.

If we have not left the EU by October 31st then as Yougov also showed Farage and the Brexit Party would either win an overall Commons majority at the next general election with a Hunt led Tories falling to just 17 seats or the Brexit Party would be largest party in the Commons against a Boris led Tory Party on a Brexit with No Deal platform.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/21/delivering-brexit-will-do-more-boost-conservative-

I hate to be the one to break this to you. But opinion polls are not facts.
    They are factual surveys of public opinion at the time, you can speculate about what the future may be but that is a different matter
    Except for the ones repeatedly showing that most people don’t want Brexit any more, which you are always very quick to try and discredit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

To be fair to Corbyn and Labour he says what most Labour members in their hearts believe as does Boris to Tory members.

We already have a LD party for those for whom bring centrist liberal Remainers is the be all and end all
  • Options

Now you are in the realms of fantasy.

True. But if we accept that he was then the next proposition of the 'little brain teaser' - that he is harassing them and putting hostile posters on their window - stacks up perfectly well.

Don't know whose side I'd be on in that case. Is Nigel giving them grief just because they are immigrants? Or is it because they are playing roots reggae 24/7 at bone crunching volume and making his life a misery? These are the questions I would be asking.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD - If Boris publicly announced that his Brexit plan was to call a general Election do you think that would make him more or less likely to get the support of the Tory membership?

Whether they are right or wrong, MORE is the answer to your question. It is kind of assumed that might happen. But, there will have to be an agreement with Farage or else Farage will have to be shown to have refused an agreement.

No Deal has not been voted down yet. VONC ? there will be a lot of abstentions, well over 20 anyway.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

The parking wardens round there need to sharpen up. They could visit morning and evening and hit him for £40 (£80 if not paid promptly, which seems likely in his case) a time. That’s about £20,000 a year, pro-rated to the amount of time his car is there.
    I imagine they will be on the lookout from now on!
  • Options

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Look, it's very simple. Boris is a rich Tory. The party faithful like him, and that's all you need to know. So stop with the impertinent questioning. You'll be expecting a vote next... :)
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes snd Boris replied 'superb'
    Not how The Sun is reporting it....
    No that was exactly what the Sun reported.

You wrote: He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes snd Boris replied 'superb'

The Sun wrote:

After being told he had to sit in the hot seat for less than 10 minutes more he quipped "superb", before he was asked if he was bored.

I wouldn't call that 'exactly'.
    Keep spreading that 'fake news'
    Which of us quoted the Sun accurately, and who did not?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9352789/boris-johnson-bored-tory-grilling/

Readers can make their own minds up.....unless you have a link to a Sun article with your version?
    You completely omitted the Boris line 'superb' until I mentioned it
    You spun The Sun "After being told he had to sit in the hot seat for less than 10 minutes more he quipped" as "He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes" missing the "less than" and "quipped" from The Sun's reporting. Which went to the original point - has Boris lost The Sun? With unfriendly reporting like that...possibly....
    Boris has not lost the Sun, I suspect the Sun will be neutral in the leadership race but endorse whoever wins and the Tories provided they deliver Brexit. If not the Sun might even back Farage and the Brexit Party
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Some inconvenient facts diehard Remainers need to face.

As Yougov showed yesterday if the Withdrawal Agreement is passed by October 31st and we have left the EU by then then either a Boris led Tory Party or a Hunt led Tories will win an overall majority (or on a platform to leave by October 31st) and we move towards a FTA for GB and likely still the backstop for Northern Ireland ultimately maybe with a confirmatory referendum.

If we have not left the EU by October 31st then as Yougov also showed Farage and the Brexit Party would either win an overall Commons majority at the next general election with a Hunt led Tories falling to just 17 seats or the Brexit Party would be largest party in the Commons against a Boris led Tory Party on a Brexit with No Deal platform.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/21/delivering-brexit-will-do-more-boost-conservative-

I hate to be the one to break this to you. But opinion polls are not facts.
    They are factual surveys of public opinion at the time, you can speculate about what the future may be but that is a different matter
    Except for the ones repeatedly showing that most people don’t want Brexit any more, which you are always very quick to try and discredit.
    Which ones? There has been very little change since the referendum in reality
  • Options
    viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Wonder if JRM's ever had the police at his door following a bust up at midnight? :D
    He has a well-insulated cellar, with gutters in the floor to carry away the blood and smaller bits. The rest are mopped up by blinded servants who are descended from 19th Century family captives, kept in the dark and chained near the cesspit. One word of complaint and they are thrown into the pit, never to return. The few recordings to have made it out are handled under SCP protocols. Escapees do not live long, and autopsies cannot cope with their changed anatomy. Study is therefore difficult.
    How do you know that?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Look, it's very simple. Boris is a rich Tory. The party faithful like him, and that's all you need to know. So stop with the impertinent questioning. You'll be expecting a vote next... :)
    I know its old fashioned....but some of us would like a competent PM.....which leaves the choice the members may well not vote for....
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    Ia year my wife when I’m in the doghouse, this is all so overblown , it’s become a media feeding frenzy over a non event , with politically motivated neighbours who sold the recording to the guardian invading their neighbours basic privacy rights. Why not just call the police if you are so concerned ?? It’s a circus motivated to bring down Boris

I know. People doing things for free. Must be political then. What other motives could humans possibly have?
    It’s the early hours of the morning

You’ve not had much sleep what with the police wanting to talk to you

So do you (a) call the Guardian and wait up for them to collect the recording or (b) go to sleep.

They must have really wanted to select (a). Most normal people will have done (b)

Why did they choose (a)?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

All of them?
    A majority of them, insofar as posts to social media and political discussions are an indication. The ballot will give us the precise numbers.

The rest are already finding that they aren’t welcome in what the Conservative Party has become. To stick around they will have to follow HY’s trajectory from Remain voter to Farage groupie.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Nope.

Sort of. That is an argument why we shouldn't delve further into the matter, but we are entitled to take it into account when assessing Johnson's fitness for office if he lacks the discretion to keep it private in the first place.

I was probably still having loud shouty arguments involving wine spillage with girlfriends when I was 31, but sure as hell not when I was 55. The incident and the borderlie-eeeeuw age gap tell us something about Johnson.
  • Options

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Sure. But this doesn’t speak to character. He spilt wine. His girlfriend yelled at him.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    This is all getting silly
    Did Johnson have a row with his girl friend in the early hours of the morning that could be heard by neighbours using language that could raise concern? Yes, it really is irrelevant how or why they recorded it, it happened. There is no dispute about whether it happened. So you now have to make your mind up on whether it is of importance in terms of his qualifications to be PM. I would only say that someone one the verge of achieving his lifetime ambition is stupid enough to end up in this situation is beyond belief.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Nope.

It’s not a matter of Public Interest
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Ia
    I don'

So do you (a) call the Guardian and wait up for them to collect the recording or (b) go to sleep.

They must have really wanted to select (a). Most normal people will have done (b)

Why did they choose (a)?
    Does it really matter? Plenty of people are dobbed in for crimes by people with a motive. At the end of the day what matters is what transpired, not why it was reported.

And in this case what matters is not so much the facts of the case - that probably are overblown as per the OP - as the foretaste of a future of gaffes, embarrassments and incident after incident if the Tories’ geriatric membership is foolish enough to elect this Bozo as our PM.
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you know that?
    Guttering doesn't install itself... :)
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

OK I amend my point to read "pass on to them" rather than "sell to them". Whether money changed hands it beside the point.

If they passed it to the Guardian for nothing it is more consistent that there is a political motivation behind this, namely that they disagree with Johnson politically and saw an opportunity to damage him. If on the other hand they sold it to the Guardian it is consistent with them being in it just for the money. Either way, the act of passing the details on to a newspaper known to be hostile to Johnson casts doubt upon their motives, the extent to which their version can be relied upon and whether the incident really warranted their calling the police at all. If they were merely concerned neighbours they would have just called the police and left it at that.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Sure. But this doesn’t speak to character. He spilt wine. His girlfriend yelled at him.
    His girlfriend said he "doesnt care for anything because youre spoilt", sounds like a character flaw to me. Most people would have realised he does not care for anything bar himself already but this re-enforces it.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Charles said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

He spilt wine. His girlfriend yelled at him.
    You're better than this.

She also is alleged to have said "“get off me” and “get out of my flat”.

In a reasonable person that might raise concerns for her safety and explain the actions her neighbours took., wrt the Police, if not the press.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    This has always been a majority Tory site. If HYUFD has to be a one man barricade for Boris it looks like things aren't going swimmingly
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
  • Options

If they passed it to the Guardian for nothing it is more consistent that there is a political motivation behind this, namely that they disagree with Johnson politically and saw an opportunity to damage him. If on the other hand they sold it to the Guardian it is consistent with them being in it just for the money. Either way, the act of passing the details on to a newspaper known to be hostile to Johnson casts doubt upon their motives
    Neither way they can win, in your analysis.

How about if they'd sold it to The Sun?

Would that make it ok?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Nope.

It’s not a matter of Public Interest
    It is when in 4 weeks the protagonist expects to move to 10 Downing St!

If it was Jo Bloggs, then it is not.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    Roger said:

This has always been a majority Tory site. If HYUFD has to be a one man barricade for Boris it looks like things aren't going swimmingly

Unfair, Charles is behind the lines in the Chateau making supportive noises.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    LOL. you would have to be seriously deranged to imagine Brexit Party getting 219 MP's. Farage only managed only last time and that was a defection. Dream on.
    +1
    I dont think he understands incumbency, local party machines, national campaigns and FPTP dynamics in general. He might have a point if elected MPs by PR but it is just fantasy all his views on polls!
    Once any party gets over 20% it is almost guaranteed at least 50 MPs even with no campaigning at all and even under FPTP.

With all parties less than 30% the Brexit Party would get significantly more than that
    That certainly was not true of the Alliance parties in the elections of 1983 & 1987 when they polled 26% and 23% respectively. Nor did it happen in February 1974 when the Liberals polled almost 20% despite failing to contest a hundred seats.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MPs as well in this case. I think they are more culpable than the members. They know him.
  • Options
    Quick straw poll -

I'm sure

i) we've all had rows with our partners and

ii) we've all had nosey neighbours.

How many times have we had the Police called as a result?

Perhaps I'm dull - but - zero.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    I'm perhaps turning into a young fogey without the young bit, but the more I think about it the more I think this sort of stuff is acceptable in first year undergraduates, and rock stars, and in no one else, and that it feeds a lot of stuff that I vaguely thought about Johnson anyway.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Quick straw poll -

I'm sure

How many times have you been on the cusp of becoming PM with both your person and major policy platform bitterly opposed by 80%+ of your neighbours?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Why did they choose (a)?

To damage the political prospects of Boris Johnson.

Perfectly honourable so long as the information is true and gleaned legally.

Noble even.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I'm perhaps turning into a young fogey without the young bit, but the more I think about it the more I think this sort of stuff is acceptable in first year undergraduates, and rock stars, and in no one else, and that it feeds a lot of stuff that I vaguely thought about Johnson anyway.

I've lived in a range of accommodation over the years - from Student to twenty-somethngs and there have been the odd altercation.....but in my later years, none involving 55 year olds.....
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,654
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    LOL. you would have to be seriously deranged to imagine Brexit Party getting 219 MP's. Farage only managed only last time and that was a defection. Dream on.
    +1
    I dont think he understands incumbency, local party machines, national campaigns and FPTP dynamics in general. He might have a point if elected MPs by PR but it is just fantasy all his views on polls!
    Once any party gets over 20% it is almost guaranteed at least 50 MPs even with no campaigning at all and even under FPTP.

With all parties less than 30% the Brexit Party would get significantly more than that
    The history of the Liberal party in its various previous forms would rather disagree with you even with intensive campaigning. Not sure where you go that idea from. When your vote is spread evenly the situation is hopeless. Once of course you break a much higher figure you then win everything, such is the nonsense of FPTP if you have an even spread of support against parties who don't.
  • Options

Quick straw poll -

I'm sure

That does depend on the intensity of the altercation. I live half way up a hill above a main road, and a couple of years ago I was awoken at about 1 am by a very intense altercation coming from one of the houses along the road below. I could clearly hear shouting and screaming from both a man and a woman, and I clearly heard the woman scream comments such as “get off me” and “leave me alone”. I was lying in bed thinking about calling the Police, when the Police actually turned up, presumably called by another neighbour. I was quite sure this was the right thing to have done - and would like to think that given another five minutes of hearing similar stuff I would have done so myself.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2019
    alex. said:
    I would have said his statement was completely hypocritical.

"I would ask that you leave private citizens alone and focus instead on those who have chosen to run for power within the public eye."

He seems to think people who run for power have no right to any private life -- unlike in his words, "private citizens", who must be protected.

Is Carrie not a private citizen?

"As per the wee bar code and the serial number under your right armpit you are now built and owned by the state and you’re under the spotlight You know what you are? You’re a fucking human dart-board. And Eric fucking Bristow’s on the oche throwing a million darts made of human shit right at you.”

Really, god knows why anyone wants to be a politician. And politicians of other parties actually collude in the darts-throwing, knowing their turn will come in time to be the dartboard covered in human shit.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Quick straw poll -

I'm sure

How many times have you been on the cusp of becoming PM with both your person and major policy platform bitterly opposed by 80%+ of your neighbours?
    How many times have you had your neighbours concerned for your safety?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Latest EMA:
    Con 21.7%. Lab 25.0%, LD 18.1%, Brex 22.2% Grn 7.0%

Lab just in the lead. The shares are at a tipping point under FPTP.

Con 107
    Lab 248
    LD 65
    Brex 158
    Grn 1
    PC 2
    SNP 51
    NI 18

Lab 78 short of an overall majority. Need LD and SNP support.
    Con + Brex is 265 seats.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

MPs as well in this case. I think they are more culpable than the members. They know him.
    Yes, the big difference between Corbyn’s Labour and the Bozo-child’s Tories is that in the former case at least the (majority of) MPs never acclaimed him as their appropriate leader.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Barnesian said:

Latest EMA:

Con 107
    Lab 248
    LD 65
    Brex 158
    Grn 1
    PC 2
    SNP 51
    NI 18

Con + Brex is 265 seats.

Terrible to have Labour be the largest party by such a big margin, but apart from that, not unbearable - no Brexit, and no Venezuela.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    +1

The history of the Liberal party in its various previous forms would rather disagree with you even with intensive campaigning. Not sure where you go that idea from. When your vote is spread evenly the situation is hopeless. Once of course you break a much higher figure you then win everything, such is the nonsense of FPTP if you have an even spread of support against parties who don't.
    As a country we’d be a lot better off with a system that rewarded, rather than penalised, parties that can draw their support evenly across different geographies and communities.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Charles said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

You're better than this.

In a reasonable person that might raise concerns for her safety and explain the actions her neighbours took., wrt the Police, if not the press.
    It's worth noting that in France it is an offence not to notify the police if you have reasonable grounds to believe an offence is or has been committed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Why did they choose (a)?

Noble even.
    Quite agree why do people rush to his defense based on issues of privacy and political bias? It happened, there is no dispute, now make your own mind up nobody is asking for anything more.
  • Options

..."As per the wee bar code and the serial number under your right armpit you are now built and owned by the state and you’re under the spotlight You know what you are? You’re a fucking human dart-board. And Eric fucking Bristow’s on the oche throwing a million darts made of human shit right at you.” ...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1534321/characters/nm0134922

• Options
    Fenman said:

It's worth noting that in France it is an offence not to notify the police if you have reasonable grounds to believe an offence is or has been committed.

And once the police have confirmed no offence was committed, is it compulsory to let the Guardian know ?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I've lived in a range of accommodation over the years - from Student to twenty-somethngs and there have been the odd altercation.....but in my later years, none involving 55 year olds.....
    I have seen plenty at that age and older with physical injuries from domestic violence conflicts.

I am not sure that last nights incident adds much to what we know of Boris. Who didn't know that he is a spoilt brat who cares little for other people, and has a history of failed relationships?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited June 2019
    Telegraph have a Comres poll of Tory Councillors.

61% Boris 39% Hunt,
    83% no deal brexit if no better deal than WA by Oct 31st.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Latest EMA:

Con 107
    Lab 248
    LD 65
    Brex 158
    Grn 1
    PC 2
    SNP 51
    NI 18

Con + Brex is 265 seats.

EMA? is that a polling meta analysis?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Barnesian said:

Latest EMA:

Con 107
    Lab 248
    LD 65
    Brex 158
    Grn 1
    PC 2
    SNP 51
    NI 18

Con + Brex is 265 seats.

Terrible to have Labour be the largest party by such a big margin, but apart from that, not unbearable - no Brexit, and no Venezuela.
    And it would be an election night worth staying up for.
  • Options

Telegraph have a Comres poll of Tory Councillors.

61% Boris 39% Hunt,
    83% no deal brexit if no better deal than WA by Oct 31st.

Please can we have videoed session of a group of Tory councilors explaining how no-deal works and what the implications are without falling back on the programmed mantra of WTO and GATT 24?
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708

Fenman said:

And once the police have confirmed no offence was committed, is it compulsory to let the Guardian know ?
    No - but neither is it forbidden.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Why did they choose (a)?

Noble even.
    Or to get their story out before the professional spinners started on them.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fenman said:

No - but neither is it forbidden.
    But the sanctimonious Tom Bell says "I would ask that you leave private citizens alone and focus instead on those who have chosen to run for power within the public eye."

Is Carrie not a private citizen?
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

I know he's expected to be a cad but to refer to his current live in lover on TV as " Carrie ( is it Carrie, shows how much I care ) " would seem a bit rum :)

• Options
    Roger said:

Utter rubbish this is a Remainer dominated site
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Utter rubbish this is a Remainer dominated site
    Only because it is mostly frequented by educated politically interested people.

We have a fair dollop of leavers, but a fair few of them seem to have left the country already.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    alex. said:

"Once clear that no one was harmed, I contacted the Guardian, as I felt it was of important public interest."

Ok. LOL.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

You're better than this.

I have no problem with the police

My argument is that there is no public interest in the Guardian publishing the story

That’s all
This discussion has been closed.