Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit: Some Inconvenient Facts that the Tories need to face

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    GIN1138 said:

Wonder if JRM's ever had the police at his door following a bust up at midnight? :D
    Noone's near enough to hear, are they?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

The cult of BoZo is every bit as mad as the cult of Corbyn.

In contemporary politics, every side thinks they are the only sane ones. Quite awful really, diversity of opinion is not allowed, all dissenters are mentally ill or dupes.
    Likewise everyone expressing outrage that Johnson's privacy has been invaded would be saying the exact opposite if the incident had involved Corbyn
    I'm sure if Jezza's neighbour recorded Jezza's stereo blasting out anti-semitic Isis songs Jezza's right to privacy would be universally regarded as paramount.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    alex. said:

So if the next PM fails to deliver Brexit by 31October, but delivers it by, say 30th April does anyone really think that Brexit supporters would punish them for it?

If there is a general election before then yes.

In any case it is quite clear that Labour MPs will not deliver a 'Tory' Brexit and LD and SNP MPs will not deliver any Brexit at all and the EU will only deliver a Brexit Deal with the backstop which the DUP will always vote against so unless the Tories (or indeed Farage) win a majority at the next general election we will not get Brexit
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Wow the Lib Dems have more than doubled their score from the last GE!!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    My neighbours frequently row, but it wouldn't cross my mind to call the police to embarrass them.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    He is going to win easily, Hunt is a nice chappie but Boris will win and hopefully give Hunt a good job. My real hope is he gives Gove nothing , backbenches for that little weasel.
    Boris PM, Hunt Deputy PM and Foreign Secretary, Gove Brexit Secretary is what I hope for
    Two out of three, Gove out would make my day.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Hunt coming across well as someone who can actually get Brexit done, rather than just saying endlessly that he will get it done.

Will members start to have second thoughts on Boris?

Boris is far more likely to balls up Brexit negotiations and end up having to have a GE. Do members really want that?

Hunt can't get it done as it needs a majority to get Brexit through the Commons before October and only Boris can deliver that
    How?
    By winning back enough Brexit Party supporters to get a majority
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270

Mr. Observer, I disagree on that score.

Whilst Boris is being given a ridiculously easy ride by some, willing to overlook his incompetence despite it being plain as the nose on his face, that single-mindedness is not driven by loyalty to Boris but to the desire to leave the EU. If/when Boris cocks that up, his support from that wing will evaporate, and the moderates were never enthused with him anyway.

He might, however, end up staying in place if MPs fear he'll be replaced by someone closer to the EU. Or, from the other wing, if MPs fear he'll be replaced by someone who would take us out with no deal.

The new May in that case.

Or as 'H' would almost certainly put it - "Theresa in Y fronts".

Sorry.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    He is going to win easily, Hunt is a nice chappie but Boris will win and hopefully give Hunt a good job. My real hope is he gives Gove nothing , backbenches for that little weasel.
    Boris PM, Hunt Deputy PM and Foreign Secretary, Gove Brexit Secretary is what I hope for
    Not impossible, of course if Boris sacks Gove might make things awkward for Gove backer Ruthie
  • Options

Hunt coming across well as someone who can actually get Brexit done, rather than just saying endlessly that he will get it done.

Boris is far more likely to balls up Brexit negotiations and end up having to have a GE. Do members really want that?

will be either referendum or election regardless of who wins
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Hunt can't get it done as it needs a majority to get Brexit through the Commons before October and only Boris can deliver that
    How?
    So Boris has to make a dash for the polls?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    isam said:

A little brain teaser

Nigel Farage is living next door to a family of immigrants... he has been putting posters on their car windscreens badmouthing them. The immigrant family have an argument one night which Farage records through the walls of his flat, before calling the police and the Express. The police say everyone is fine there is no case to answer, The Express lead with the story

Are the people on Boris' case now, on Farages side, or his neighbours?

A little brain teaser - what’s the difference between them and someone likely to be PM next month ?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Gove isn't committed to leaving on 31st October and opposes no deal, so would be a strange choice as Brexit secretary...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    JohnO said:

algarkirk said:

All true. Examination of the issues shows that to leave the EU TMs deal is still the only option, and it must be likely that with the use of smoke and mirrors that is what Boris, if given the chance, will try. But will he get the chance?

The lengthy list leaves out a central issue: assuming Boris wins can he get to the starting gate of forming a stable government and winning an early VONC? I think there must be a bit of doubt. The DUP are not reliable, and he would only need a small number of implacable foes on his own side to be defeated. Could this become an issue in the campaign between Hunt and Boris?

My expectation of the Boris gameplan (not based on any inside information) is:

1. Embellish the existing WA with smoke and mirrors, just as you say. Lots of lovely promises in the political declaration. Fierce proclamations. Disparaging personal attacks on anyone who disagrees. The EU perceives the same old WA through the smoke, rolls its eyes and lets him try.

2. If Parliament passes it, fine. Onwards! Upwards!

3. If Parliament votes it down, call an election. "Enough is enough", "let's get it done", "speak for Britain", etc etc. Boris will gamble that he can win by force of personality. Deselect anyone who dissents, call them something like "nasty nitpicking nonentities". Take on Farage and Corbyn in debate, and deploy bluster.

4. If he wins, fabulous for him. If he loses, oh well, it was fun anyway.

You know what...I agree with Nick. Got it in four.
    And the backstop ......?
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Try living next door to someone who hates you, leaves posters attacking you on your car, and wants to shame you publicly so you wont get a job you're after

How do you know that applies in the Johnson case. I know you want it to be true, but how do you know? Do you think those concerned are lying to the Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/22/boris-johnson-neighbour-interview-call-police
    Why would I want it to be true?

It was on a Sky News bulletin (the poster left by his neighbours on his car), and I think they are probably wildly exaggerating if not completely lying

I think you want it to be true because you have decided without a shred of evidence that the people who reported Johnson have been involved in a campaign against him.

They left posters on his car saying "We dont want him as a Neighbour, let alone PM", or words to that effect, so I think you should review your allegation that there is not a shred of evidence.

But why would I want it to be true?

God knows why. Some people like Johnson for reasons I cannot understand. There is not a shred of evidence linking those who called the police to the posters. And they have denied doing it.

Won't matter. I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it. Heck, .
    Perhaps you should try to distinguish "accepted fact" from ludicrous stuff you read on the Internet. Probably most people have some inkling they're not the same thing.
    I'm not the one deciding specific parts of the story are definitely true or definitely false, its not me who has accepted certain parts as fact because it makes them feel better and makes it better for Boris. The point was those who do want to bolster him will accept the detail as fact even if it is not. That is not controversial.
    In that case you shouldn't mislead people by describing something as "accepted fact" when it's nonsense.

This site used to be a place where reliable information could be found. Evidently not any more.
    are you the new truth police commissioner then
  • Options
    HYUFD - If Boris publicly announced that his Brexit plan was to call a general Election do you think that would make him more or less likely to get the support of the Tory membership?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How?
    Probably yes
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The parallel between Trump's salacious past in 2016 and Boris Johnson's today is intriguing. In 2016 Trump's history was already well known and was essentially baked in to his support. Revelations during the campaign appeared not to have much effect.

Likewise, Johnson's history is well known today, and presumably (?) baked in to a greater or lesser extent.

The BBC keeps quoting people as saying Johnson is not 'fit' to be prime minister, whatever that means. I'm not aware of any honesty or morality levels required to be PM. All you need is electability and that other ability - the ability to get things done.
  • Options
    Hunt: "I will proceed with HS2. It is vital"
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    Oh no! Hunt wants HS2!

Bozo it is then.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD - If Boris publicly announced that his Brexit plan was to call a general Election do you think that would make him more or less likely to get the support of the Tory membership?

A very good question.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    Not impossible, of course if Boris sacks Gove might make things awkward for Gove backer Ruthie
    She has already insulted Boris big time but you can be sure she will be brown nosing soon and saying she always liked him really and was misconstrued.
    She really put her foot in it on this.
    PS Gove was her 3rd or 4th choice
  • Options

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    I’m sorry but most couples row, it’s normal , he spilt wine on the sofa , they had a tiff, so what , he hasn’t beaten her up , she may have lost her temper , you wanna year my wife when I’m in the doghouse, this is all so overblown , it’s become a media feeding frenzy over a non event , with politically motivated neighbours who sold the recording to the guardian invading their neighbours basic privacy rights. Why not just call the police if you are so concerned ?? It’s a circus motivated to bring down Boris
    I don't even like Boris, but this story is shit. People argue.

It would probably reduce the guff quotient if people who occupy more-or-less the same political area as Boris prefacing their defences of him with 'I don't even like Boris' realised that it isn't convincing anyone.

I have been married for 30 years and have had plenty of rows with my wife. Before yesterday I thought it was unremarkable that the police had never been called to investigate. Clearly, though, we are an exception to the rule.
    Try living next door to someone who hates you, leaves posters attacking you on your car, and wants to shame you publicly so you wont get a job you're after

How do you know that applies in the Johnson case. I know you want it to be true, but how do you know? Do you think those concerned are lying to the Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/22/boris-johnson-neighbour-interview-call-police
    I think it is established that the neighbours recorded Johnson in his partner's home and then contacted a national newspaper hostile to Johnson to sell them the details. From that I think it is reasonable to cast doubt on their motives and on whether their account can be fully relied upon.

If you read the Mail (!) account of the incident, you’ll note the story is corroborated by other neighbours.

• Options
    Hunt seems to get a reasonably good positive reaction from audience there.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    alex. said:

That's a good question. HYUFD? Or anyone else?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Nigelb said:

isam said:

A little brain teaser

Nigel Farage is living next door to a family of immigrants... he has been putting posters on their car windscreens badmouthing them. The immigrant family have an argument one night which Farage records through the walls of his flat, before calling the police and the Express. The police say everyone is fine there is no case to answer, The Express lead with the story

A little brain teaser - what’s the difference between them and someone likely to be PM next month ?
    They’re up against Farage?
  • Options
    Definite win for Hunt imho. Came across as far more open to answering questions and interested in thinking things through in an responsible manner.

Not chance then. But perhaps it will be closer than we all think.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

In contemporary politics, every side thinks they are the only sane ones. Quite awful really, diversity of opinion is not allowed, all dissenters are mentally ill or dupes.
    Likewise everyone expressing outrage that Johnson's privacy has been invaded would be saying the exact opposite if the incident had involved Corbyn
    I'm sure if Jezza's neighbour recorded Jezza's stereo blasting out anti-semitic Isis songs Jezza's right to privacy would be universally regarded as paramount.
    Is this what the Americans call push-polling? Getting your propaganda in the question?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Why would I want it to be true?

It was on a Sky News bulletin (the poster left by his neighbours on his car), and I think they are probably wildly exaggerating if not completely lying

I think you want it to be true because you have decided without a shred of evidence that the people who reported Johnson have been involved in a campaign against him.

They left posters on his car saying "We dont want him as a Neighbour, let alone PM", or words to that effect, so I think you should review your allegation that there is not a shred of evidence.

God knows why. Some people like Johnson for reasons g it.

Won't matter. I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it. Heck, .
    Perhaps you should try to distinguish "accepted fact" from ludicrous stuff g.
    I'm not the one deciding specific rsial.
    In that case you shouldn't mislead people by describing something as "accepted fact" when it's nonsense.

This site used to be a place where reliable information could be found. Evidently not any more.
    I said from the sounds of it had become accepted fact, and was pretty clear who I thought it was accepted fact to. I did not claim I thought it fact or that was fact, so screw you for implying I was peddling unreliable information. It was a comment on how I expect some people to perceive the incident.

Its perhaps the case I could have been clearer. But before you condescend about it you might get your own facts right about what I said. Instead you condemn me for something I did not say.

So rather than this place not providing reliable Information how about you look in the mirror and not look a fool for accusing me of peddling information when I was not.

For christ sake my whole point was people are accepting something as fact which might not be, and you take that as me saying it is fact? Idiot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    LOL. you would have to be seriously deranged to imagine Brexit Party getting 219 MP's. Farage only managed only last time and that was a defection. Dream on.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    isam said:

A little brain teaser

Would it be newsworthy if the immigrant family had an argument?

(Or maybe you and I just read different newspapers.)
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Tim_B said:

The parallel between Trump's salacious past in 2016 and Boris Johnson's today is intriguing. In 2016 Trump's history was already well known and was essentially baked in to his support. Revelations during the campaign appeared not to have much effect.

Likewise, Johnson's history is well known today, and presumably (?) baked in to a greater or lesser extent.

The BBC keeps quoting people as saying Johnson is not 'fit' to be prime minister, whatever that means. I'm not aware of any honesty or morality levels required to be PM. All you need is electability and that other ability - the ability to get things done.

I do think Boris has a problem in peoples perception on trust. Whether you like him or loath him, if he aspires to be PM: He has to be an open book. If the public view him as an embarassment that is good enough to deny him our ultimate office.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How?
    Probably yes
    If he does that he will be out on his ear!
  • Options

alex. said:

That's a good question. HYUFD? Or anyone else?
    I would say it would be big mistake at this point, he needs to get in first , do a bit of smoke and mirrors and then say Labour are forcing us to have election.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    A lot of people are making the hopeful assumption that "baked into" the public opinion of Johnson is that he is a liar and womaniser who attracts police interest. They may be over-estimating the level of attention the average person pays to the precise details of political gossip.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,780

HYUFD said:
    That's an unequivocal Oct 31.....more than he said in the hustings.
    It just isnt unequivocal. Politicians say things like I am going to win this election. It is not a guarantee they will, it is expressing their intent (if things go the way they want them to).
  • Options

What a loser. He obviously does not really want the job, just looking to get juicy post from Boris.
  • Options
  • Options

I think it is established that the neighbours recorded Johnson in his partner's home and then contacted a national newspaper hostile to Johnson to sell them the details. From that I think it is reasonable to cast doubt on their motives and on whether their account can be fully relied upon.

While those assertions may be true, they might also be false.

If my neighbour was Taylor Swift, and she was rowing with her partner and I could hear it through the walls.

Well... I think I'd probably record it and sell it to the tabloids.

Not because I hated Taylor Swift, or her music, but because I'd make a few quid from selling it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I now realise that when I was woken up by my neighbours at two in the morning the appropriate response would have been to go round and apologise for intruding on their privacy.

Some PBers do talk shite at times.

Did you record your neighbours and give a copy of the recording to the Guardian?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    edited June 2019

Not sure that was wise. To the membership HS2 summons up horrific memories of the Osborne/Cameron era - an era of utter darkness.
  • Options

Not sure that was wise. To the membership HS2 summons up horrific memories of the Osborne/Cameron era - and era of utter darkness.
    Depends. Johnson just blustered.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    LOL. you would have to be seriously deranged to imagine Brexit Party getting 219 MP's. Farage only managed only last time and that was a defection. Dream on.
    +1
    I dont think he understands incumbency, local party machines, national campaigns and FPTP dynamics in general. He might have a point if elected MPs by PR but it is just fantasy all his views on polls!
  • Options
    EPG said:

A lot of people are making the hopeful assumption that "baked into" the public opinion of Johnson is that he is a liar and womaniser who attracts police interest. They may be over-estimating the level of attention the average person pays to the precise details of political gossip.

It is likely to help him with the lower orders, shows even toffs have a barney.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    edited June 2019
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

I said from the sounds of it had become accepted fact, and was pretty clear who I thought it was accepted fact to. I did not claim I thought it fact or that was fact, so screw you for implying I was peddling unreliable information. It was a comment on how I expect some people to perceive the incident.

Its perhaps the case I could have been clearer. But before you condescend about it you might get your own facts right about what I said. Instead you condemn me for something I did not say.

So rather than this place not providing reliable Information how about you look in the mirror and not look a fool for accusing me of peddling information when I was not.

For christ sake my whole point was people are accepting something as fact which might not be, and you take that as me saying it is fact? Idiot.
    I came here and specifically asked a question about whether there was any evidence that the neighbours who complained to the police were the same who had put a poster on Johnson's car, as one commenter had claimed.

Southam Observer helpfully explained there wasn't a shred of evidence.

Then you responded to him by saying:
    "I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it."

So screw you if that's your attitude. And screw you for trying to make out I'm in the wrong.

This place is getting on a par with Guido's site.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    Once they get over 20% the Brexit Party get a lot more seats for their buck, even in 2015 UKIP only got 12%.

Plus if Boris does not win I am not sure Hunt is strong enough to hold off Farage and Corbyn
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Definite win for Hunt imho. Came across as far more open to answering questions and interested in thinking things through in an responsible manner.

Boris got the better audience reaction though

https://twitter.com/robertrea/status/1142462019653840896?s=20
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    +1
    I dont think he understands incumbency, local party machines, national campaigns and FPTP dynamics in general. He might have a point if elected MPs by PR but it is just fantasy all his views on polls!
    And obsessive belief in the reliability of the Electoral Calculus model. In a completely unprecedented situation with every party below 25% and likely tactical voting on an epic scale.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    isam said:

Nigel Farage is living next door to a family of immigrants

Now you are in the realms of fantasy.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    You can bet your bottom dollar that the Guido crew will have been trawling through every possible source to try to get some dirt on the people who called the police about the Johnson row and recorded it. They still don't seem to have found anything.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    HYUFD said:

Boris got the better audience reaction though

Yep, Hunt will find it hard to persuade a cult to change its mind. Labour's Corbyn critics have the same problem.

• Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

I came here and specifically asked a question about whether there was any evidence that the neighbours who complained to the police were the same who had put a poster on Johnson's car, as one commenter had claimed.

Southam Observer helpfully explained there wasn't a shred of evidence.

Then you responded to him by saying:
    "I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it."

So screw you if that's your attitude. And screw you for trying to make out I'm in the wrong.

This place is getting on a par with Guido's site.

why you still here then , take your chip elsewhere
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    Once they get over 20% the Brexit Party get a lot more seats for their buck, even in 2015 UKIP only got 12%.

Plus if Boris does not win I am not sure Hunt is strong enough to hold off Farage and Corbyn
    In reality though , when it comes to it and you have Farage and a bunch of loonies standing , do you seriously think they will get over 20%
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

You can bet your bottom dollar that the Guido crew will have been trawling through every possible source to try to get some dirt on the people who called the police about the Johnson row and recorded it. They still don't seem to have found anything.

And?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

FFS, we are not your research assistants.

You have as much access to information in the public domain as anyone else.

No one on pb.com has any private sources of information on the behaviour of all Boris' neighbours. And if they did, I'd be worried .
  • Options
    edited June 2019

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    +1
    Once any party gets over 20% it is almost guaranteed at least 50 MPs even with no campaigning at all and even under FPTP.

With all parties less than 30% the Brexit Party would get significantly more than that
  • Options
    alex. said:

So if the next PM fails to deliver Brexit by 31October, but delivers it by, say 30th April does anyone really think that Brexit supporters would punish them for it?

Yes, this confuses me.

Say the EU said to Boris: "Yes, we are prepared to renegotiate the backstop", does he say "No! Hah! Idiots, we have to leave by October 31 anyway. Hah!"
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    As a Con suppprter but not member I'm torn on who I want.

I much prefer Hunt's policies and he's far more sensible and thoughtful. Would make a much better PM.

But I just feel he won't be able to get Brexit done and he'll therefore end up in same position as TMay - but there will inevitably end up having to be a GE (even if only in say approx 12 months from now) and Con will therefore lose due to not delivering Brexit.

So much as I don't really want him I feel Boris is the only chance of blocking Corbyn - because if he can't get Brexit through and No Deal gets blocked by the Commons then he'll go for an immediate GE - which he might well win - on clear Brexit message, assisted by honeymoon.
  • Options

And?
    Maybe they're just normal individuals who were genuinely concerned for the safety of Johnson's girlfriend.

And are p*ssed off that he keeps parking illegally in their parking spaces.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

alex. said:

Yes, this confuses me.

Say the EU said to Boris: "Yes, we are prepared to renegotiate the backstop", does he say "No! Hah! Idiots, we have to leave by October 31 anyway. Hah!"
    When the facts change I change my mind.

If the EU say that I think Boris will (rightly) claim that as a victory and reason to extend just in order to renegotiate that.
  • Options
    alex. said:

And?
    Maybe they're just normal individuals who were genuinely concerned for the safety of Johnson's girlfriend.

Genuine concern explains calling the Police.

Not the Guardian.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,780
    MikeL said:

As a Con suppprter but not member I'm torn on who I want.

I much prefer Hunt's policies and he's far more sensible and thoughtful. Would make a much better PM.

But I just feel he won't be able to get Brexit done and he'll therefore end up in same position as TMay - but there will inevitably end up having to be a GE (even if only in say approx 12 months from now) and Con will therefore lose due to not delivering Brexit.

So much as I don't really want him I feel Boris is the only chance of blocking Corbyn - because if he can't get Brexit through and No Deal gets blocked by the Commons then he'll go for an immediate GE - which he might well win - on clear Brexit message, assisted by honeymoon.

Have you not noticed the country is divided down the middle and the Tories are behind in the polls. A GE will just mean more paralysis and division for the country, it is unlikely to result in any majority for Brexit or Remain, Tory or Labour.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

In reality though , when it comes to it and you have Farage and a bunch of loonies standing , do you seriously think they will get over 20%
    Against Boris no, against Hunt maybe if he extends again
  • Options

alex. said:

And?

Not the Guardian.
    That was where the second bit came in...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777

alex. said:

And?

Not the Guardian.
    Overhearing a Policeman calling it 'Restricted' might explain calling the Guardian, if they were of the view that the character of a future Prime Minister was in the public interest.....
  • Options
    The Sun seeing a route back to popularity in Liverpool...? ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes and Boris replied 'superb'
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes snd Boris replied 'superb'
    Not how The Sun is reporting it....

The lead:

TORY leader hopeful Boris Johnson was accused of being "bored" in today's hustings - as he asked how much time was left on his grilling.

As he took questions from the audience of Conservative Party members in Birmingham he appeared to want to wrap things up, amid some stinging reminders of past gaffes.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

No that was exactly what the Sun reported, if you had actually bothered to read to the 4th paragraph.

Stop spreading 'fake news' like the Guardian
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Journalists have to at least try and make this leadership contest seem interesting, though I don't think any claims of Huntmania will really take off.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    edited June 2019
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

HYUFD said:
    That's an unequivocal Oct 31.....more than he said in the hustings.
    Missing the year ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No that was exactly what the Sun reported.

You wrote: He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes snd Boris replied 'superb'

The Sun wrote:

After being told he had to sit in the hot seat for less than 10 minutes more he quipped "superb", before he was asked if he was bored.

I wouldn't call that 'exactly'.

Who is spreading 'Fake News'?

Your "spin" and the The Sun's are rather different....
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    isam said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

I don't think that is true, it would be just the same if a couple of Corbyn haters had taped him and his wife having a row and shared it with an anti Corbyn paper.
    With all due respect that's is rubbish.

These things follow the same pattern. Something gets reported and within a short space of time people concoct an alternative narrative to suit their own political agenda.

The Johnson row is not a big deal but doesn't show him in a particularly good light as the next PM either. Instead of shrugging it off we now seem to being told that Johnson is actually the victim of people who hate him, have wrecked his car, used high tech surveillance, are in cahoots with the Guardian, the police and so it goes on. Before the day I'm sure we will be told that the Labour Party were behind it all.

The same with the Mark Field story, instead of accepting it was a stupid overreaction which the MP to his credit seems to have done and apologised, he is now portrayed as some sort of hero who thwarted a potential terrorist attack and saved dozens of lives.

It's what's so bl**y depressing about politics in the Trump era, truth has ceased to actual matter much anymore. Nobody waits for facts to emerge they just speculate and within a short space of time the "speculation" is reported as "fact".

The fault, IMHO, lies with social media where the most important thing is to get your version of events out there first, as long as it's plausible the fatcs don't actually matter. It's not going to change, it's going to get worse.

IIRC It's what led to one PBer trying to tell us that the Jo Cox murder was a false flag operation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You wrote: He asked how long left, Dale said 10 minutes snd Boris replied 'superb'

The Sun wrote:

After being told he had to sit in the hot seat for less than 10 minutes more he quipped "superb", before he was asked if he was bored.

Keep spreading that 'fake news'
  • Options
    Six off Bumrah is pretty impressive.

Afghanistan probably won’t quite make it, but a superb challenge to the cricketing superpower, whatever the outcome.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Sun wrote:

Which of us quoted the Sun accurately, and who did not?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9352789/boris-johnson-bored-tory-grilling/

Readers can make their own minds up.....unless you have a link to a Sun article with your version?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    HYUFD said:

Some inconvenient facts diehard Remainers need to face.

As Yougov showed yesterday if the Withdrawal Agreement is passed by October 31st and we have left the EU by then then either a Boris led Tory Party or a Hunt led Tories will win an overall majority (or on a platform to leave by October 31st) and we move towards a FTA for GB and likely still the backstop for Northern Ireland ultimately maybe with a confirmatory referendum.

If we have not left the EU by October 31st then as Yougov also showed Farage and the Brexit Party would either win an overall Commons majority at the next general election with a Hunt led Tories falling to just 17 seats or the Brexit Party would be largest party in the Commons against a Boris led Tory Party on a Brexit with No Deal platform.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/21/delivering-brexit-will-do-more-boost-conservative-

I hate to be the one to break this to you. But opinion polls are not facts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Sun wrote:

You do know that putting fake news in quote marks undermines the suggestion that the news really is fake.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

As Yougov showed yesterday if the Withdrawal Agreement is passed by October 31st and we have left the EU by then then either a Boris led Tory Party or a Hunt led Tories will win an overall majority (or on a platform to leave by October 31st) and we move towards a FTA for GB and likely still the backstop for Northern Ireland ultimately maybe with a confirmatory referendum.

If we have not left the EU by October 31st then as Yougov also showed Farage and the Brexit Party would either win an overall Commons majority at the next general election with a Hunt led Tories falling to just 17 seats or the Brexit Party would be largest party in the Commons against a Boris led Tory Party on a Brexit with No Deal platform.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/21/delivering-brexit-will-do-more-boost-conservative-

Many have tried; many have failed.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

They are factual surveys of public opinion at the time, you can speculate about what the future may be but that is a different matter
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,880

And?
    I can't speak for @SouthamObserver, but I do find the instinct of the Tory press to assassinate the character of anybody who dares speaks out about their widdle heroes actually depressing.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Haven’t they already confirmed they attended a call, and no arrests were made?
    AIUI (might be wrong), they initially denied it, until the Guardian gave them details of the vehicles that attended. They then gave a different story.

If it's correct, that doesn't seem a good thing for the police to be doing.
    Although I would assume that potential threat targets (eg royals, likely prime ministers, etc) might have different security procedures to the rest of us?
    They almost certainly will have different security procedures to us plebs (not counting you in that, Charles). That doesn't mean they are free to not tell the truth about such matters.

That's a question: what sort of security would the state be giving an MP who is an ex cabinet member, yet who is also a candidate to be PM? I can only imagine it is limited - i.e. he won't have a security detail.
    I doubt he’d have a security detail - but the police might want to “restrict” information on his whereabouts to an unverified caller?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Least of all Opinion Polls predicated on hypotheticals any more complicated than "In a General Election tomorrow".....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Sun wrote:

Readers can make their own minds up.....unless you have a link to a Sun article with your version?
    You completely omitted the Boris line 'superb' until I mentioned it
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Least of all Opinion Polls predicated on hypotheticals any more complicated than "In a General Election tomorrow".....
    Yet any opinion poll putting Remain in the lead in any EUref2 is sacrosanct of course!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    OllyT said:

(Snip)
    IIRC It's what led to one PBer trying to tell us that the Jo Cox murder was a false flag operation.

Nah. That same poster made some rather *interesting* claims about the MH17 shootdown. He'd parrot whatever the current Russian line was (and it sometimes changed daily), even when it was obviously and evidently rubbish.

Claiming Jo Cox was a false flag operation is perfectly in line with his MO.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

They are factual surveys of public opinion at the time, you can speculate about what the future may be but that is a different matter
    But you are stating them to be a factual representation of the outcome of a General Election at a future date? Are you actually conceding that many of your 'facts' are merely speculation?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

But you are stating them to be a factual representation of the outcome of a General Election at a future date? Are you actually conceding that many of your 'facts' are merely speculation?
    No as they are scientific surveys of voters not what you speculate might be the result of a future election
  • Options
    OllyT said:

isam said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

I don't think that is true, it would be just the same if a couple of Corbyn haters had taped him and his wife having a row and shared it with an anti Corbyn paper.
    With all due respect that's is rubbish.

These things follow the same pattern. Something gets reported and within a short space of time people concoct an alternative narrative to suit their own political agenda.

The Johnson row is not a big deal but doesn't show him in a particularly good light as the next PM either. Instead of shrugging it off we now seem to being told that Johnson is actually the victim of people who hate him, have wrecked his car, used high tech surveillance....
    The availability of ‘high tech surveillance’ to the majority of the population is an established fact.
    A counterbalancing force to the surveillance state, and to the surveillance of the tech giants ? Or something more sinister ?

The effective gradual abolition of privacy is an insufficiently debated issue.
    And the GDPR an inadequate response.
  • Options

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    I’m sorry but most couples row, it’s normal , he spilt wine on the sofa , they had a tiff, so what , he hasn’t beaten her up , she may have lost her temper , you wanna year my wife when I’m in the doghouse, this is all so overblown , it’s become a media feeding frenzy over a non event , with politically motivated neighbours who sold the recording to the guardian invading their neighbours basic privacy rights. Why not just call the police if you are so concerned ?? It’s a circus motivated to bring down Boris

It would probably reduce the guff quotient if people who occupy more-or-less the same political area as Boris prefacing their defences of him with 'I don't even like Boris' realised that it isn't convincing anyone.

I have been married for 30 years and have had plenty of rows with my wife. Before yesterday I thought it was unremarkable that the police had never been called to investigate. Clearly, though, we are an exception to the rule.

It was reported that someone - don’t know if the same neighbour - was leaving anti-Brexit posters that featured Boris on his car. That’s passive-aggressive at best!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

No as they are scientific surveys of voters not what you speculate might be the result of a future election
    You are the one using the polls to predict a future election result.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Sun wrote:

What HYUFD said looks exactly the same as your subsequent reply. What do you think he got wrong?

Though I'm also not sure what point HYUFD was making by bringing it up at all
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

It was reported that someone - don’t know if the same neighbour - was leaving anti-Brexit posters that featured Boris on his car. That’s passive-aggressive at best!
    They are pissed off that he keeps parking illegally, in spots reserved for them and they pay for, because he's so rich that he couldn't care less about all the parking tickets he gets.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Did she ever shout at you to get off her?
    Perhaps Boris was just being playful, his shimmering hands poised for a bit of slap 'n' tickle.
    That’s what I suspect... she wasn’t ready to kiss & make up...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Charles said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Haven’t they already confirmed they attended a call, and no arrests were made?
    AIUI (might be wrong), they initially denied it, until the Guardian gave them details of the vehicles that attended. They then gave a different story.

If it's correct, that doesn't seem a good thing for the police to be doing.
    Although I would assume that potential threat targets (eg royals, likely prime ministers, etc) might have different security procedures to the rest of us?
    They almost certainly will have different security procedures to us plebs (not counting you in that, Charles). That doesn't mean they are free to not tell the truth about such matters.

That's a question: what sort of security would the state be giving an MP who is an ex cabinet member, yet who is also a candidate to be PM? I can only imagine it is limited - i.e. he won't have a security detail.
    I doubt he’d have a security detail - but the police might want to “restrict” information on his whereabouts to an unverified caller?
    If there is a genuine security need, then it should be 'no comment' rather than a straight 'no'. Besides, the caller already knew who was involved, and the address.

"The press office responded asking for more information, adding: “I’ve checked call lists for both Lambeth and Southwark and I can’t see any calls to [street name] for this time."

"Later, the press office responded, saying: “We have no knowledge of a domestic incident at that location. If you have more information about the nature of the call, please let us know.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/22/scotland-yard-press-operation-faces-questions-over-boris-johnson-row
This discussion has been closed.