Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit: Some Inconvenient Facts that the Tories need to face

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD's wonderful YouGov had BXP on 37% for the Euros - they got 31%. That is some overstatement well outside the margin of error

Yougov was actually pretty close to the final result as opposed to Survation whose final poll had Labour ahead for the European elections.

Yougov also had the LDs correctly in second place though they underestimated the Tories and Labour a little bit

Yep, YouGov called it pretty much spot on - except for the BXP result, which was way beyond the margin of error. With that in mind, it's worth noting that in its latest poll, Labour+LibDem+Green = 50%. That's a lot of scope for tactical voting if Johnson decides to call an early election.

Though of course even on the actual results converted to FPTP it would have been a Brexit Party landslide outside of London and Scotland and NI

Yep, if my uncle was my aunt I'd be a goldfish.

I know someone who's uncle is now his aunt.

Its a phrase which might not be deemed permissible soon.
    If my Aunt had bollocks she'd be non cisgender
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Some hard bowling here says Boris.

I can imagine he is not looking forward to another dozen or whatever of these events.
  • Options
    connieteeconnietee Posts: 5
    Fact 1 is, in real and legal terms, incorrect. There are currently two methods of withdrawal upon which the EU and the UK are agreed, both are agreements of the terms under which we may leave, and are fully understood by both parties. One, negotiated with Theresa May, and the other, that there will be no transition period, and that all 'deals' will be newly devised either once it is confirmed that we will withdraw with complete cessation of our previous membership privileges. That was arguably better understood at the time of the referendum than it is now.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    You should try criticising O'Brien on twitter if you to see what a cult looks like
    Is there a typo in there?
    Calling me a c*nt! Not very nice!

People (me) have been banned for such behaviour
  • Options
    Fact 2, poor advice to betting people. It may be a condition of the extension, but it is not legally binding, otherwise a number of your subsequent 'facts' would be contradicted by this poor piece of miss-information.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Haven’t they already confirmed they attended a call, and no arrests were made?
    AIUI (might be wrong), they initially denied it, until the Guardian gave them details of the vehicles that attended. They then gave a different story.

If it's correct, that doesn't seem a good thing for the police to be doing.
    Although I would assume that potential threat targets (eg royals, likely prime ministers, etc) might have different security procedures to the rest of us?
  • Options
    Fact 5, expressing your own opinion that your second fact was missinformation.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    kjohnw said:

Yes brexit means brexit and no deal is better than a bad deal except when it’s a crap TM deal . She has been the most lying evasive Tory PM we have had and certainly the worst

Just you wait.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    I’m sorry but most couples row, it’s normal , he spilt wine on the sofa , they had a tiff, so what , he hasn’t beaten her up , she may have lost her temper , you wanna year my wife when I’m in the doghouse, this is all so overblown , it’s become a media feeding frenzy over a non event , with politically motivated neighbours who sold the recording to the guardian invading their neighbours basic privacy rights. Why not just call the police if you are so concerned ?? It’s a circus motivated to bring down Boris
    I don't even like Boris, but this story is shit. People argue.

It would probably reduce the guff quotient if people who occupy more-or-less the same political area as Boris prefacing their defences of him with 'I don't even like Boris' realised that it isn't convincing anyone.
  • Options
    Fact 6, your insistence that your second fact was misinformation.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    connietee said:

Fact 1 is, in real and legal terms, incorrect. There are currently two methods of withdrawal upon which the EU and the UK are agreed, both are agreements of the terms under which we may leave, and are fully understood by both parties. One, negotiated with Theresa May, and the other, that there will be no transition period, and that all 'deals' will be newly devised either once it is confirmed that we will withdraw with complete cessation of our previous membership privileges. That was arguably better understood at the time of the referendum than it is now.

Well yes, and the hard Brexiteer contention is that the UK will have far greater leverage in a no deal scenario. Perhaps a more realistic analysis would show that in that scenario the EU would have far more to offer in any negotiations...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    I’m sorry but most couples row, it’s normal , he spilt wine on the sofa , they had a tiff, so what , he hasn’t beaten her up , she may have lost her temper , you wanna year my wife when I’m in the doghouse, this is all so overblown , it’s become a media feeding frenzy over a non event , with politically motivated neighbours who sold the recording to the guardian invading their neighbours basic privacy rights. Why not just call the police if you are so concerned ?? It’s a circus motivated to bring down Boris
    It's one of those things like speeding and tax-dodging and indeed Brexit which divides people so deeply that they can't imagine that not everyone is the same. Throughout the 33 years that I knew my parents, I never heard them have a serious dispute, swear or raise their voices - naturally they disagreed sometimes, but always with affection. I know others with similar experiences, to whom the experience of couples screaming at each other is confined to soap operas. Others who I know find that completely incredible and can't imagine a partnership without a cycle of rows and making up.

I'd think that the former group will generally be pretty anti-Boris already, though.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    You should try criticising O'Brien on twitter if you to see what a cult looks like

I think he was being rude about O’Brien not you!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    edited June 2019

tlg86 said:

While I have no doubt about the headline’s thrust (politically motivated), I think Fraser’s being a touch harsh here. The right to privacy is somewhat weakened if you scream so loudly it can be heard outside your property, IMO.

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1142433485359112193?s=20

Indeed. I’d say recording it is the right thing to do. If it is serious it could be used in a subsequent court case. The problem here is that we all now want to hear the tape. Should it be released to prove it exists? I don’t know.
    If your neighbours can hear you rowing after midnight loud enough to make out the words, I suspect you have forfeited your right to privacy - meanwhile lots of entertaining speculation about what "high tech equipment" these "ultra Remainer neighbours" had from the apologists....."through brick walls" - they even know the construction of the property......
    It's probably just the engineering geek in me, but there's loads of interesting questions about that. Are the flats in totally separate buildings (and hence might have brick/block party walls between them), or a subdivided house, in which case the divisions between them might be rather thin, especially if the division was done before modern fire regs.

Doesn't really effect the facts of the incident, though.
    You can easily hear people shouting through solid brick walls, as anyone who lives in a terraced house or semi can tell you. FWIW If I heard a woman screaming "get off me" I would be worried and might well record it for evidence if I had the presence of mind.
    It is also possible that on a warm night, they had their windows open.
    At one time we lived in a detached house with neighbours who, on occasion argued. Loudly. She shouted at him and he shouted at her.
    I've no idea whether we always heard them but we certainly heard them sometimes.

Oh, and Afghanistan have just lost two wickets on the bounce!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

It would probably reduce the guff quotient if people who occupy more-or-less the same political area as Boris prefacing their defences of him with 'I don't even like Boris' realised that it isn't convincing anyone.

I have been married for 30 years and have had plenty of rows with my wife. Before yesterday I thought it was unremarkable that the police had never been called to investigate. Clearly, though, we are an exception to the rule.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    AIUI (might be wrong), they initially denied it, until the Guardian gave them details of the vehicles that attended. They then gave a different story.

Although I would assume that potential threat targets (eg royals, likely prime ministers, etc) might have different security procedures to the rest of us?
    They almost certainly will have different security procedures to us plebs (not counting you in that, Charles). That doesn't mean they are free to not tell the truth about such matters.

That's a question: what sort of security would the state be giving an MP who is an ex cabinet member, yet who is also a candidate to be PM? I can only imagine it is limited - i.e. he won't have a security detail.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,778
    Something definitely going on in the Gulf - SQ who had until this morning been flying over Iran are now flying over Siberia.....
  • Options
    Fact 7, with the way things are going at the moment, it may well be that the EU wish to renegotiate a post Brexit or emergency withdrawal agreement so as not to deliberately disadvantage a number of its members states in their dealings with the UK. It seems very likely to be an uncomfortable probability that negotiating with the EU will become an awful lot easier when they face the results of what they have striven hard to achieve.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    edited June 2019
    This summary of the Boris event from Guido is just plain depressing.

Boris focused on the existential threat to party if Brexit is not delivered. “We need to get it done and move on”. The audience loved him for it and gave him a standing ovation.

Yes, because no one has thought it needed to 'get done' before now. He's not a cretin, and he's not alone in making it seem easier than it is, but it is still pathetic that the old joke of the Tory members just wanting someone to bellow Brexit loudly, and that's all they want, really is true. They roar with approval when someone says we need to Brexit, then whinge loudly at anything that might get it done.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes , or a former Foreign Secretary
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. Charles, it was also my reading that the insult was aimed squarely at O'Brien, not Mr. Isam.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Quoting (with approval) Grabcoque's description of him as an " amoral sociopathic snake" should give some indication that I don't admire him.

But, it won't stop me voting Tory.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The selectorate are looking for comfortable lies not difficult truths.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Oh no! Seeking out offence when none was intended... for shame! I'm such a snowflake
  • Options

While I have no doubt about the headline’s thrust (politically motivated), I think Fraser’s being a touch harsh here. The right to privacy is somewhat weakened if you scream so loudly it can be heard outside your property, IMO.

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1142433485359112193?s=20

It's almost as though the writer is someone desperate to move on from this topic, and too impatient to wait for it do so on its own, and so comes up with a weak excuse to do so.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

I have been married for 30 years and have had plenty of rows with my wife. Before yesterday I thought it was unremarkable that the police had never been called to investigate. Clearly, though, we are an exception to the rule.
    Try living next door to someone who hates you, leaves posters attacking you on your car, and wants to shame you publicly so you wont get a job you're after
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    edited June 2019
    Sean_F said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_P said:

The cult of BoZo is every bit as mad as the cult of Corbyn.

If a cult of Jo Swinson could be engineered we would very soon have a full house of parties with cult leaders. If however the LDs could stay sounding even slightly normal they could cash in as the only refuge for people who aren't a bit weird, and who aren't cultists, Marxists, nationalists (pick your own English, Welsh, Irish and Scottish varieties), religious extremists (let's hear it for the DUP) or otherwise deranged.

What price they could be in power?
    There have been many very odd Lib Dems, over the years.
    Point of order: the really odd ones were Liberals. (And when I say odd...)
  • Options
    How will that help him win? They want to be told we will leave, they don't want detail, or acknowledgement of concerns (unless it comes from traitorous remainers, not those good old boys from the leave side who stopped us Brexiting already), so accusing Boris of not being serious, when he says he is jolly serious about it, will blow up in his face.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    I'm getting a sense that the effects of the Boris Kool-Aid so evident last week are beginning to wane.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    My case is slightly different: I like Boris, as I have always said. He's an entertainer. I just don't think he's suitable material to be PM. And we have past experience of his time as MoL and as FS as evidence.

There are many people I like who should be nowhere near power. That doesn't make them bad people.

There are also one or two people I don't particularly like who might make rather good politicians (I have a particular ex-manager of mine in mind). ;)
  • Options

They are giving Hunt a reasonably positive hearing......
  • Options
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Try living next door to someone who hates you, leaves posters attacking you on your car, and wants to shame you publicly so you wont get a job you're after

How do you know that applies in the Johnson case. I know you want it to be true, but how do you know? Do you think those concerned are lying to the Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/22/boris-johnson-neighbour-interview-call-police
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    No doubt no difference to Tory voters as well as Tory members. And no difference even to people who have never voted Tory in their lives, but recognise a gross intrusion into someone's private life.
  • Options

Oh, he might get 25-35% or so of the selectorate on side. That doesn't change the fact that the largest part of them - particularly the part that actually would vote BXP rather than Tory - definitely don't want to hear anything about difficulties to head. They want someone to say they will get on with Brexit. Simple as. Getting a relatively positive hearing doesn't make the general depiction of the selectorate as uncaring about difficult truths incorrect.

And that's not even to say Hunt is exactly being totally upfront or anything generally.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, sadly, that may be true. And more shame MPs for backing such an oaf to start with.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

How do you know that applies in the Johnson case. I know you want it to be true, but how do you know? Do you think those concerned are lying to the Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/22/boris-johnson-neighbour-interview-call-police
    Why would I want it to be true?

It was on a Sky News bulletin (the poster left by his neighbours on his car), and I think they are probably wildly exaggerating if not completely lying
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Did she ever shout at you to get off her?
  • Options

Something definitely going on in the Gulf - SQ who had until this morning been flying over Iran are now flying over Siberia.....

This morning, I wondered if these flight diversions might have been the real reason for Trump's volte-face over the Iran attack.

"Send in the bombers!"
    (A few minutes later)
    "Sir, we need to warn airlines. It's a well-flown route, and there's a good chance that the Iranians - or us - will end up shooting airliners out of the air!"
    "Oh bugger. Call 'em back. And let's hope no-one leaks this to the media!"

Or, alternatively, airlines are getting very skittish about flying over would-be warzones after MH-17.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

It was on a Sky News bulletin (the poster left by his neighbours on his car), and I think they are probably wildly exaggerating if not completely lying

I think you want it to be true because you have decided without a shred of evidence that the people who reported Johnson have been involved in a campaign against him.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

I think you want it to be true because you have decided without a shred of evidence that the people who reported Johnson have been involved in a campaign against him.

Isn’t the Sky News bit a tiny shred of evidence?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

They left posters on his car saying "We dont want him as a Neighbour, let alone PM", or words to that effect, so I think you should review your allegation that there is not a shred of evidence.

But why would I want it to be true?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030
    GIN1138 said:

Second - Like Boris's neighbours.

I would be looking to find out who taped it and would punch their lights out. Sneaky , greedy conniving barstewards.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

No, we may have shouted at each other a few times, but there's never been any kind of physical clash. Apparently, though, we are the exception. It seems that most couples row so violently that the police end up being called. You do learn something everyday.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps Boris was just being playful, his shimmering hands poised for a bit of slap 'n' tickle.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

Some inconvenient facts diehard Remainers need to face.

As Yougov showed yesterday if the Withdrawal Agreement is passed by October 31st and we have left the EU by then then either a Boris led Tory Party or a Hunt led Tories will win an overall majority (or on a platform to leave by October 31st) and we move towards a FTA for GB and likely still the backstop for Northern Ireland ultimately maybe with a confirmatory referendum.

If we have not left the EU by October 31st then as Yougov also showed Farage and the Brexit Party would either win an overall Commons majority at the next general election with a Hunt led Tories falling to just 17 seats or the Brexit Party would be largest party in the Commons against a Boris led Tory Party on a Brexit with No Deal platform.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/21/delivering-brexit-will-do-more-boost-conservative-

The Tories might win on those numbers. But it wouldn't take much tactical voting by remainers motivated to stop Brexit to deprive the Tories of a majority. Especially if the Brexit Party supporters conclude that they can't trust Brexit with the Tories.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

They left posters on his car saying "We dont want him as a Neighbour, let alone PM", or words to that effect, so I think you should review your allegation that there is not a shred of evidence.

So is there really any evidence that the people who called the police had left posters on Johnson's car?

Just curious.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

God knows why. Some people like Johnson for reasons I cannot understand. There is not a shred of evidence linking those who called the police to the posters. And they have denied doing it.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    connietee said:

It probably was better understood at the time of the referendum, because right now I can't understand it at all.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

All the hard Brexiteers members have joined the Brexit party. Perhaps leaving behind a more moderate group.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    A little brain teaser

Nigel Farage is living next door to a family of immigrants... he has been putting posters on their car windscreens badmouthing them. The immigrant family have an argument one night which Farage records through the walls of his flat, before calling the police and the Express. The police say everyone is fine there is no case to answer, The Express lead with the story

Are the people on Boris' case now, on Farages side, or his neighbours?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,829
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

I would be looking to find out who taped it and would punch their lights out. Sneaky , greedy conniving barstewards.
    Afternoon Malc. :D
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

God knows why. Some people like Johnson for reasons I cannot understand. There is not a shred of evidence linking those who called the police to the posters. And they have denied doing it.

Doubt you will find anything from me about liking Boris Johnson, as I have never said anything of the sort. Still, whatever keeps you happy or unhappy
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

Bozo doesn't live there. That's why the neighbours are pissed off that he keeps leaving his car in the Residents Only parking bays.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Thanks. I thought it was likely to be more of the same delusional thinking that this site appears to be dominated by these days.

Depressing.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    I’m sorry but mosated to bring down Boris

Won't matter. I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it. Heck, HYUFD was practically salivating at the prospect of it being some awful remainiacs before any details had emerged. If they did do it, it is admittedly a dick move. Or as we might call it in future, doing a Boris.
  • Options
    I would sleep sounder in my bed if Hunt wins this and becomes PM frankly.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

If you have rowdy and anti-social neighbours I believe to police encourage you to log each incident. Perhaps the recording was part of this process.
  • Options
    He wants the job. Boris thinks the job is entitled to him (as per his outriders wanting the rules changed so he could win it more easily, when it looked like he might struggle with MPs. And no one tell me that idea, 'the membership will riot if we don't let them at least consider Boris' was floated without his knowledge) and already thinks he has the job in the bag. It wouldn't be surprising if Hunt seems like he wants it more. It's not like wanting it more would be a good indicator in any case.

Anywho, time for a walk in the glorious sunshine.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    I’m sorry but mosated to bring down Boris

Won't matter. I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it. Heck, HYUFD was practically salivating at the prospect of it being some awful remainiacs before any details had emerged. If they did do it, it is admittedly a dick move. Or as we might call it in future, doing a Boris.

Like Corbyn, Johnson will be forgiven anything and everything by those invested in him.

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

I think it is established that the neighbours recorded Johnson in his partner's home and then contacted a national newspaper hostile to Johnson to sell them the details. From that I think it is reasonable to cast doubt on their motives and on whether their account can be fully relied upon.

• Options
    This is like when some minnow team doesn't immediately capitulate and people talk up their chances as a result. Sure, very occasionally they can hold out the entire match, but usually people are just getting over excited at the hope it won't be a walkover.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Oh no! Seeking out offence when none was intended... for shame! I'm such a snowflake
    hang your head in shame
  • Options
    kle4 said:

This is like when some minnow team doesn't immediately capitulate and people talk up their chances as a result. Sure, very occasionally they can hold out the entire match, but usually people are just getting over excited at the hope it won't be a walkover.
    Afghanistan 5 down!
  • Options

isam said:

Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:

I think it is established that the neighbours recorded Johnson in his partner's home and then contacted a national newspaper hostile to Johnson to sell them the details. From that I think it is reasonable to cast doubt on their motives and on whether their account can be fully relied upon.

I don't believe it is established in any way at all that money changed hands for the recordings.

• Options

I would sleep sounder in my bed if Hunt wins this and becomes PM frankly.

+1

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Perhaps you should try to distinguish "accepted fact" from ludicrous stuff you read on the Internet. Probably most people have some inkling they're not the same thing.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

hello GIN, lovely day. Hope you are well.
  • Options
    Wonder if JRM's ever had the police at his door following a bust up at midnight? :D
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes I am thanks. Has been a lovely afternoon here. :)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2019

Mr. Charles, it was also my reading that the insult was aimed squarely at O'Brien, not Mr. Isam.

It was also the writer's intent. I have listened to Mr O'Brien. I concluded his ego was greater than the big bang.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The membership don't care about that they only care about whether he will commit to deliver Brexit by the end of October
  • Options
    Hunt coming across well as someone who can actually get Brexit done, rather than just saying endlessly that he will get it done.

Will members start to have second thoughts on Boris?

Boris is far more likely to balls up Brexit negotiations and end up having to have a GE. Do members really want that?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That's an unequivocal Oct 31.....more than he said in the hustings.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    I now realise that when I was woken up by my neighbours at two in the morning the appropriate response would have been to go round and apologise for intruding on their privacy.

Some PBers do talk shite at times.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

If you have rowdy and anti-social neighbours I believe to police encourage you to log each incident. Perhaps the recording was part of this process.
    Not many tape it and sell it to the Guardian though, arseholes.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Huge cheer when questioner asks about wholesale reform of BBC.

Bonkers. These people love much of the BBC output I would wager and probably form a key chunk of its audience, especially given their age profile.
  • Options

Hunt coming across well as someone who can actually get Brexit done, rather than just saying endlessly that he will get it done.

Boris is far more likely to balls up Brexit negotiations and end up having to have a GE. Do members really want that?

Hunt can't get it done as it needs a majority to get Brexit through the Commons before October and only Boris can deliver that
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, I disagree on that score.

Whilst Boris is being given a ridiculously easy ride by some, willing to overlook his incompetence despite it being plain as the nose on his face, that single-mindedness is not driven by loyalty to Boris but to the desire to leave the EU. If/when Boris cocks that up, his support from that wing will evaporate, and the moderates were never enthused with him anyway.

He might, however, end up staying in place if MPs fear he'll be replaced by someone closer to the EU. Or, from the other wing, if MPs fear he'll be replaced by someone who would take us out with no deal.
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Won't matter. I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it. Heck, .
    Perhaps you should try to distinguish "accepted fact" from ludicrous stuff you read on the Internet. Probably most people have some inkling they're not the same thing.
    I'm not the one deciding specific parts of the story are definitely true or definitely false, its not me who has accepted certain parts as fact because it makes them feel better and makes it better for Boris. The point was those who do want to bolster him will accept the detail as fact even if it is not. That is not controversial.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

In contemporary politics, every side thinks they are the only sane ones. Quite awful really, diversity of opinion is not allowed, all dissenters are mentally ill or dupes.
    Likewise everyone expressing outrage that Johnson's privacy has been invaded would be saying the exact opposite if the incident had involved Corbyn
  • Options
    Carswell is about as much a fan of Boris as he is of Farage
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    So if the next PM fails to deliver Brexit by 31October, but delivers it by, say 30th April does anyone really think that Brexit supporters would punish them for it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    He is going to win easily, Hunt is a nice chappie but Boris will win and hopefully give Hunt a good job. My real hope is he gives Gove nothing , backbenches for that little weasel.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The membership don't care about that they only care about whether he will commit to deliver Brexit by the end of October
    Then they are stupid I am afraid. Why the sudden fetish about that date? Apart from anything else it was handed down to us by the EU themselves.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes I am thanks. Has been a lovely afternoon here. :)
    I am in the garden after tidying up , mowing lawn etc, swinging in the egg chair with a nice chilled Thatcher's Vintage. Maggie did a mean cider.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:
    He is going to win easily, Hunt is a nice chappie but Boris will win and hopefully give Hunt a good job. My real hope is he gives Gove nothing , backbenches for that little weasel.
    Boris PM, Hunt Deputy PM and Foreign Secretary, Gove Brexit Secretary is what I hope for
  • Options
    OllyT said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

In contemporary politics, every side thinks they are the only sane ones. Quite awful really, diversity of opinion is not allowed, all dissenters are mentally ill or dupes.
    Likewise everyone expressing outrage that Johnson's privacy has been invaded would be saying the exact opposite if the incident had involved Corbyn
    I don't think that is true, it would be just the same if a couple of Corbyn haters had taped him and his wife having a row and shared it with an anti Corbyn paper.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Won't matter. I've only followed the story on here, but from the sounds of it it has already become accepted fact that they did it. Heck, .
    I'm not the one deciding specific parts of the story are definitely true or definitely false, its not me who has accepted certain parts as fact because it makes them feel better and makes it better for Boris. The point was those who do want to bolster him will accept the detail as fact even if it is not. That is not controversial.
    In that case you shouldn't mislead people by describing something as "accepted fact" when it's nonsense.

This site used to be a place where reliable information could be found. Evidently not any more.
  • Options
    alex. said:

So if the next PM fails to deliver Brexit by 31October, but delivers it by, say 30th April does anyone really think that Brexit supporters would punish them for it?

Even if they want to, a clever PM will try and avoid giving them the opportunity via an early GE.

Exactly as Hunt says.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hunt can't get it done as it needs a majority to get Brexit through the Commons before October and only Boris can deliver that
    How?
This discussion has been closed.