Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory booted out of his Brecon & Radnorshire seat by the re

Comments

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    nico67 said:

Hunt can’t win unless Bozo actually pulled out of the leadership contest .

At this point the membership would vote for him regardless of almost anything . His girlfriend could end up with a black eye and the death cult would still be singing his praises .

In fairness if you look at the lib dems you have a domestic abuser (Moran), proud homophobe (Farron) and a drug taker/serial political party mover/sham marriage indulger (Chuka) - and that's just with a handful of MPs. It's not surprising in the current climate people will vote for almost anyone, and that includes Bozza! I actually think this story might even benefit him.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Brom said:

nico67 said:

At this point the membership would vote for him regardless of almost anything . His girlfriend could end up with a black eye and the death cult would still be singing his praises .

In fairness if you look at the lib dems you have a domestic abuser (Moran), proud homophobe (Farron) and a drug taker/serial political party mover/sham marriage indulger (Chuka) - and that's just with a handful of MPs. It's not surprising in the current climate people will vote for almost anyone, and that includes Bozza! I actually think this story might even benefit him.
    In the first two cases, that cost them the leadership.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

In the first two cases, that cost them the leadership.
    Tim was leader even though many mps and grassroots members knew his views. Moran would never become leader. Who knows what skeletons Swinson or Davey have in the closet? We all remember Huhne and Oaten!

Will be interesting to see how Boris deals with this, if he can turn it into a busybody left wing neighbour in cahoots with the guardian he will get public backing. I suppose a lot depends on showing a United front with Symonds
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Two MPs disqualified in the 1920s stood again with the blessing of their party.

Evening Sunil - I haven't had chance to update you on my yellow pen antics last week:

Reedham to Lowestoft
    Norwich to Sheringham
    Getting further and further south!

I did both in 2016. Still Scotland north of the Central Belt (plus Stranraer) left to do! Plus a few weekend only routes in England. And Crossrail still hasn't opened yet :(
    I've done everything north of the Central Belt, including the curve avoiding Inverness station! And Stranraer - twice.
    I've done the curves avoiding Carmarthen and Swansea - plus the Swansea District completely by-passing the area.
    Do you ever try to follow the route of old train lines that have been closed?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Brom said:

nico67 said:

It is why we always enjoy our lectures on purity from the pb LibDems.

They are the only political party in modern times whose leader faced a trail for incitement to murder.

With Cyril Smith, Clement Freud, Peter Bessel, Chris Huhne, David Laws, Tessa Munt on the team, they really are best placed to lecture everyone on everything !!

And Boris' escapades look as they should be as much of a hoot as Lembit Opik's.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Can anyone outline a path whereby Gove becomes next Tory leader?

Johnson and Hunt have to retire, and a new race has to get Gove elected.. That's zillions to one. Why is he trading at 70ish?

Is this some new BF settlement game? Are they just going to declare their own winner?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Brom said:

nico67 said:

They are the only political party in modern times whose leader faced a trail for incitement to murder.

With Cyril Smith, Clement Freud, Peter Bessel, Chris Huhne, David Laws, Tessa Munt on the team, they really are best placed to lecture everyone on everything !!

You are entirely correct, and it's even worse when you consider how few MPs they have had. Doesn't excuse Boris of course, but I'd say even the Tory party of the 90s have marginally more of the moral high ground than the dodgy yellows.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Omnium said:

Johnson and Hunt have to retire, and a new race has to get Gove elected.. That's zillions to one. Why is he trading at 70ish?

Is this some new BF settlement game? Are they just going to declare their own winner?

If Boris quits this weekend Gove is the replacement candidate and Gove is more likely to win than Hunt so 80-1 for Boris to quit is likely accurate.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    For some reason you can still lay Gove at 65 for next Tory leader on BFE
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Frankly it really does beggar belief that a majority of Tory MPs are so deluded that they believe that this guy will restore the fortunes of their party - let alone any wider trust in public life.
  • Options
    eek said:

Omnium said:

If Boris quits this weekend Gove is the replacement candidate and Gove is more likely to win than Hunt so 80-1 for Boris to quit is likely accurate.
    Hang on - this seems wrong. If Hunt or Boris quit the race then the other is the winner. However you said 'this weekend' - is that some clause?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    eek said:

Omnium said:

Is he? Is there a link to the rules?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    Omnium said:

eek said:

Omnium said:

Hang on - this seems wrong. If Hunt or Boris quit the race then the other is the winner. However you said 'this weekend' - is that some clause?
    Exactly - as when Leadsom pulled out?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    eek said:

Omnium said:

On the basis of what happened in 2016, surely Hunt would be elected automatically as the sole remaining candidate.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Frankly it really does beggar belief that a majority of Tory MPs are so deluded that they believe that this guy will restore the fortunes of their party - let alone any wider trust in public life.

He can certainly do the former. Maybe not the latter.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

You are entirely correct, and it's even worse when you consider how few MPs they have. Doesn't excuse Boris of course, but I'd say even the Tory party of the 90s have marginally more of the moral high ground than the dodgy yellows.
    Of course, all parties have some wrong'uns.

But the tiny Liberal Parliamentary party of the 1970s and 1980s seems to have been 30 per cent wrong'uns.

With this back-catalogue, I'd expect less grand-standing from the moral high ground from the LibDems.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

For some reason you can still lay Gove at 65 for next Tory leader on BFE

Well that's increased my winnings on Boris/Hunt by two whole pounds and I'm still green on Gove just incase the 1922 Comittee start free styling the rules.
  • Options
    Rory stewart @860 if anyone has bags of cash and wants an easy lay.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,897
    Mark Field will be sending Boris and Carrie a crate of red wine to make up for what Boris spilt on the sofa...
  • Options
    After the fiasco with May's exit date as Tory leader I have no trust in BF whatsoever.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    eek said:

Omnium said:

Boris to quit 25/1 (I'm including further revelations...)
    Gove to be called into race 4/1?
    Gove to beat Hunt, 1/2?

That's 150/1 on some very generous assumptions
  • Options
    This is interesting:
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/06/21/the-real-reason-were-more-likely-to-elect-a-woman-in-2020-227201

The upcoming debates will effectively display this choice to the Democratic selectorate. Might shift the odds accordingly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,005
    justin124 said:

He's going to be the greatest Tory leader since Thatcher, HYUFD assures us of that.
    Oh, I'm sure we can see much lower than that.
  • Options
    eek said:

Omnium said:

'Replacement candiate'? Where does that come from?
  • Options
    “Lowers of the low”... needs to be more specific about whom that refers to.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Nigelb said:

I assume he means people who routinely record their neighbours' conversations..
  • Options
    Omnium said:

eek said:

Omnium said:

'Replacement candiate'? Where does that come from?
    A unicorn ?
    Quite popular at present, I believe.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805
    Rather missed the boat on that one hasn't he!

Didn't think his new doxy would last long...
  • Options
    Quoting the anti Semites of evolve media? Blimey thats good. Can't see anything in the Mail about this...
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Nigelb said:

I assume he means people who routinely record their neighbours' conversations..
    It’s certainly one option.

• Options
    justin124 said:

eek said:

Omnium said:

On the basis of what happened in 2016, surely Hunt would be elected automatically as the sole remaining candidate.
    As they showed this time, they are under no obligation to follow the same rules as before. So it would depend on if they have covered for that scenario in the new rules, or if they are allowed to take a different interpretation in the event a scenario is now laid out.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    If you’ve nothing to hide then really seeking an injunction looks very suspicious .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

If you’ve nothing to hide then really seeking an injunction looks very suspicious .
    Not sure I agree. I could easily see why even if there was nothing other than a tiff you'd not want it out there.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Quoting the anti Semites of evolve media? Blimey thats good. Can't see anything in the Mail about this...
    Surely its not #fakenews ?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,606

Brom said:

nico67 said:

I am no friend of the Lib Dems as they are at the moment but to describe Farron as a homophobe because he holds traditional Christian views on gay relationships (I don't agree with him BTW), and Moran as a domestic abuser because she got herself in a bit of relationship turmoil is absurd.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,571
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    Are we sure Mark Field hadn't dropped round to Boris's for cocktails after the Mansion House Dinner?
  • Options
    Where does the Mail mention the injunction ? They are carrying the Boris story.looks like your source is dodgy.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Brom said:

TSE using the Gideon Osborne playbook!
  • Options
  • Options
    Brom said:

Where does the Mail mention the injunction ? They are carrying the Boris story.looks like your source is dodgy.
    From that link

Tonight, MPs said Mr Johnson may seek an injunction to suppress any attempt to release the recording.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

I am no friend of the Lib Dems as they are at the moment but to describe Farron as a homophobe because he holds traditional Christian views on gay relationships (I don't agree with him BTW), and Moran as a domestic abuser because she got herself in a bit of relationship turmoil is absurd.

Yes, it is notable that PB Tories consider a woman shouting in an evening dress shouting slogans sufficient threat to require a neck grip perfectly reasonable self defence, yet when Layla slaps a partner she feels threatened by is domestic abuse.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Not sure I agree. I could easily see why even if there was nothing other than a tiff you'd not want it out there.
    Well maybe Bonking Boris has been recorded living up to his name! Tabloids might well use that sort of material however distasteful it seems to even his opponents...
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Brom said:

From the linked Mail story:
    Tonight, MPs said Mr Johnson may seek an injunction to suppress any attempt to release the recording.

RTFL.
  • Options
    Brom said:

GIN1138 said:

Brom said:

TSE using the Gideon Osborne playbook!
    Erm I've just proven that it isn't fake news, is English even your first language?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Brom said:

"Tonight, MPs said Mr Johnson may seek an injunction to suppress any attempt to release the recording. "

Sounds very flimsy to me... Doesn't even say "sources close" to Boris etc...

"MPs" could be anyone... Even Labour or Lib-Dem MPs for all we know....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

Yes, it is notable that PB Tories consider a woman shouting in an evening dress shouting slogans sufficient threat to require a neck grip perfectly reasonable self defence, yet when Layla slaps a partner she feels threatened by is domestic abuse.
    Not a Tory but the Police clearly disagree with your views. Moran is as nasty as Boris but without the public support.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,147
    edited June 2019
    justin124 said:

You support a party led by a man who is pals with terrorists
  • Options

Brom said:

From that link

So the story is everywhere and there's a loose quote about 'MPs' saying there will be an injunction. Too late for that so pull the other one
  • Options
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

Not a Tory but the Police clearly disagree with your views. Moran is as nasty as Boris but without the public support.
    She was not charged with any crime, let alone found guilty.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    “members of the left”

Toby Young, you are a member of the... well, just a member,
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    You can bet your life the papers will be looking into the neighbor as we speak...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Brom said:

"Tonight, MPs said Mr Johnson may seek an injunction to suppress any attempt to release the recording. "

Sounds very flimsy to me...
    Many blocks of flats are terribly flimsy. Not much is left to the imagination sometimes.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    You can bet your life the papers will be looking into the neighbor as we speak...
    Probably a Faragiste. ROTFL.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

Held in custody and charged before her partner dropped the case. Sounds like she's no good to me, worse than Mark Field anyway we can agree.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Is Tobes talking about his father who was a very prominent lefty?
  • Options
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Brom said:

Sounds very flimsy to me...
    Many blocks of flats are terribly flimsy. Not much is left to the imagination sometimes.
    politicians should live in big detached houses. Francis urquart had the right idea
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    "Turn on their tape recorders ..."

He's not a High Court judge, is he? "What is a mobile telephone?"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,992
    Boris by a landslide still.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

As it happens, I would give Farron and Moran the benefit of the doubt (though I think Moran is immature and would be a poor leader).

But, the point is that the pb LibDems tend not to give their opponents the benefit of the doubt. They are always sermonizing.

In which case, they can hardly complain when "relationship turmoil" is reported as abuse; or when "a traditional Christian view on marriage" is reported as homophobia.

That is the point that I (and Brom) were trying to make.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

Held in custody and charged before her partner dropped the case. Sounds like she's no good to me, worse than Mark Field anyway we can agree.
    I don't know one way or another on that, and bearing in mind I said I think Field should have been sacked, if we are going to not condemn people if they are not charged with a crime, never mind if they are not convicted, then I don't see how people can simultaneously condemn others who haven't been charged with crimes.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

No, we cannot agree that.

No charge was made, therefore she is not guilty. That is British Law.
  • Options
    Given what Carrie has been through in the past, I hope the press are gentle with her.

This cannot be fun for her.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,260
    HYUFD said:
    For someone who fashioned his career as a contrarian, the Tobster's ability to have an utterly predicable take on everything is uncanny.
  • Options
    Wonder what Carrie was doing with Boris's laptop?

Could it be she doesn't trust him to be a faithful lover? Surely not...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    Quite right too.
  • Options

Given what Carrie has been through in the past, I hope the press are gentle with her.

Tell me more...
  • Options
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    Gove 11/8
    Momentum 2/1
    FBPE 4/1
    Marina Wheeler 10/1
    Farage 12/1
    Greenpeace 20/1
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    You can bet your life they are a left liberal Remainer
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

Has Field been charged ?
  • Options
    Rory Stewart is down to lay at 480.

Will the madness never end.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    You can bet your life they are a left liberal Remainer
    I knew it was only a matter of time. But thank you for raising a smile.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Tell me more...
    She was one of the victims of John Worboys.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

Has Field been charged ?
    No. So he is innocent in the eyes of the law.

The public can form its own opinion.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

lol - I can just picture him catching a late night porno! Maybe she objected to his actions and things blew up from that point...
  • Options
    Brom said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    Gove 11/8
    Momentum 2/1
    FBPE 4/1
    Marina Wheeler 10/1
    Farage 12/1
    Greenpeace 20/1
    Perhaps Agent Rory, embarking on a "Kind Hearts and Coronets"-style programme to eliminate the competition?

Oh, but in that case he would have left Johnson till last, and started by shooting down Andrea Leadsom in a hot air balloon.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

Well I'll have to go off the description and video of both cases. I guess she's lucky she's such a low profile MP (even compared to Mr Field). Can't have too much sympathy for her husband though given he married such annoying woman!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes but @1.18 I may actually back him.

What is the chance of this story getting worse by the morning?
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

You support a party led by a man who is pals with terrorists
    Nah nah nah nah nah.

My dad’s bigger than your dad.

FFS.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

lol - I can just picture him catching a late night porno! Maybe she objected to his actions and things blew up from that point...
    When you say "his actions" ... ?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

50/50 to "get worse" - but to finish Boris, 10%?

Do you think they have something else?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,996
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    That is The Guardian though to be fair...
    It is top news in the Daily Mail, Daily Express, Daily Telegraph and The Sun. Basically the Brexit supporting media! The way it is presented as the female shouting "get off me" will not do Boris any good. Even if you apply the theory that any publicity is good I don't think something that could be interpreted as domestic violence given recent legislation helps him!
    Well yes police being called to Boris Johnson's home after a midnight "fracas" with his partner is bound to be big news...

We shall have to wait and see what he's got to say for himself...
    On current form he'll have nowt to say for himself...He may send Francois, Raab, Hancock or Uncle Tom Cobleigh out to say it for him.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Yeah go for it. I levelled up a bit from a more pro Hunt position at 1.08 on the Andy JS "No chance" comment. I think this is Macron - Le Pen standard, people won't change their views off one story about a row.
  • Options
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

When you say "his actions" ... ?
    Bashing the Bishop/Spanking the Monkey/Wanking
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It is amazing how someone living off-grid in Wales and making a living from knitting rabbit wool has ample money to travel to London & don an evening gown & tango with the gruesome Mark Field.

Could she be ... oh, I don't know ... privately wealthy. Perhaps rabbit wool knitting is not her main source of income?

For sure, there’s no way she & her husband can live on what they make from rabbit wool in their tiny few acres in Pembrokeshire.

So, they’ve got family money ... they're English good-lifers fleeing Wigan.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

GIN1138 said:

The thought had crossed my mind..

Maybe he'd been celebrating the government kicking "age recognition" into the long grass... With a glass of red and a sneaky late night visit to Porn Hub! :D
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    justin124 said:

They are nuts. I simply can't understand how anyone thinks Boris should be running the country, when we have a couple of decades evidence of why he should not do so.
  • Options
    At least I've got an excuse to reference Darius Guppy in my Sunday piece.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Brom said:

nico67 said:

In fairness if you look at the

Well I'll have to go off the description and video of both cases. I guess she's lucky she's such a low profile MP (even compared to Mr Field). Can't have too much sympathy for her husband though given he married such annoying woman!
    I don't think they were ever married, just in a long term relationship.

Personally I am quite willing to accept her statement, agreed with her ex partner, that she slapped him having felt threatened in a heated argument. The police seemed quite content with that too.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    glw said:

justin124 said:

They are nuts. I simply can't understand how anyone thinks Boris should be running the country, when we have a couple of decades evidence of why he should not do so.
    The left hate Boris but we know that anyway, the diehard Remainers hate Boris but we know that anyway.

If the Tories want to win the next election they need to ignore them and pick a candidate who is actually committed to Brexit and willing to take on and fight the left and Boris is that candidate.

At the moment when the right is winning around the world eg Trump, Salvini, Bolsonaro, Modi, Farage, even Scott Morrison it tends to be with a populist message and going to war with the liberal left (metaphorically speaking). Boris will be prepared to do that as will Lynton Crosby
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

justin124 said:

The left hate Boris but we know that anyone, the diehard Remainers hate Boris but we know that anyway.

If the Tories want to win the next election they need to ignore them and pick a candidate who is actually committed to Brexit and willing to take on and fight the left and Boris is that candidate
    Yeah you are clearly one of the nutters.
This discussion has been closed.