Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Polling round-up. Euros, cra

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    AndyJS said:

Why have the Betfair odds just changed so much?

Someone at the count can see Labour is winning I expect and giving out the info.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

viewcode said:

I genuinely don't know who I want to win... :(

I want the candidate who was outed for her antisemitic and hate-filled views to be defeated.
    And I want all those Labour MPs who supported her after her bigotry was revealed to hang their heads in shame for working to get her elected. Shame on the lot of them.

They condemn antisemtism in one breath and enable it in the next.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Jonathan said:

If Labour do sneak this from BXP, will the Tory leadership contenders be happy or sad?

I don't know about the leadership contenders but I'm sad about any victory by Corbyn. At this time the country needs an honourable and serious opposition to hold the government to account. And we have an antisemitic Marxist instead.
    Yep. A Lab loss could have given us a sliver of hope of a challenge this summer.
    A labour win cements corbyn in for another year. Which is actually good for brexit and the the tories if they elect Boris
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Might be another flip flop yet...
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    TudorRose said:

Don't the LibDems at the count usually tweet about now to say that they believe X is just ahead. They (or the Tories) are probably in the best position to give an objective view.

Maybe they've decided to fund the party by tweeting less and betting more.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    AndyJS said:

Dunno, but I see Galloway is stuck on 1000/1
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

What is odd about this market is the odd two quids still available to lay at 1000 on the also-rans. You'd not expect to see the pro's leaving money on the table like that. It might not be the big players playing.

Not that I can see. Are we talking Betfair exchange?
    Yes -- they've just been taken now but see the @Quincel's screenshot.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Dunno, but I see Galloway is stuck on 1000/1
    Given he's a non runner that sounds about right.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I want the candidate who was outed for her antisemitic and hate-filled views to be defeated.
    And I want all those Labour MPs who supported her after her bigotry was revealed to hang their heads in shame for working to get her elected. Shame on the lot of them.

Labour are on a roll. Having dumped a criminal, they may well have elected an anti-semite. Who is up next? A murderer?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    As a Labour voter who does not support Corbyn. Quite clearly I want to see the Farage bandwagon stopped. Would be happy with LDs, Greens, or even Cons to win. But they aren't happening.
    Corbyn or Farage?
    Jezza every time.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Interesting quote from Labour List: 'A Labour fixer says: "If we pull this off, it will show that you can run a local campaign and beat a huge national issue. We have policing, fly-tipping and education; they have Brexit, Brexit and more Brexit' - illustrations of leaflets attacking the local Tory council etc. If true, the hint of normal politics would probably be good news for the country - one day we'll escape from the Brexit neurosis, perhaps.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    £50 on Labour @ 5.7 for me.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

viewcode said:

Labour are on a roll. Having dumped a criminal, they may well have elected an anti-semite. Who is up next? A murderer?
    And all the while on our midst on here Nick Palmer ignores it all.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    dixiedean said:

As a Labour voter who does not support Corbyn. Quite clearly I want to see the Farage bandwagon stopped. Would be happy with LDs, Greens, or even Cons to win. But they aren't happening.
    Corbyn or Farage?
    Jezza every time.

A racist or a xenophobe and you go for the racist.
  • Options

£50 on Labour @ 5.7 for me.

Cashed out just over £125 profit
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I’m not an expert on odds . The Betfair Exchange now has Labour 1/4 v the BP 19/10.

Which is completely different to the £ 20 pound bet .

Can anyone help explain this ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

It took about 12 hours to get a result in Peterborough at the 1966 election. The Tories won it by 3 votes.

You are Vincent Hanna and I claim my five pounds.
    I'd like to be him, but in fact I was watching it on YouTube a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I’m not an expert on odds . The Betfair Exchange now has Labour 1/4 v the BP 19/10.

Sounds like Labour’s won , somebody knows something
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Corbyn or Farage?
    Jezza every time.

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure.
    Where is your beloved Tory Party? Ballsing the country as per.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    No good choices in Peterborough. But at least it means you can take pleasure in who loses.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

Sounds like Labour’s won , somebody knows something
    Or (and probably less likely) somebody cashed out and that's triggered others to join the bandwagon on the assumption somebody knows something.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Pulpstar said:

If Labour win this, the big winner is Corbyn - no doubt about it. OK for Labour, but fabulous for Corbyn.

A Labour win is:

Terrible for Labour, bad for the country, good for Corbyn, great for hard Brexit. Is my reckoning.

Yes yes yes, Labour always want to win but I cannot ever seeing them winning a majority under Corbyn. Whereas under a new leader it is at least possible. Indeed very probable, if the leader tacks to the centre.

Hey ho. The world will continue.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

No good choices in Peterborough. But at least it means you can take pleasure in who loses.

Not for me when anti- semitism wins.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Corbyn or Farage?
    Jezza every time.

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure.
    I don't love the Tory party. Not under Theresa May, another xenophobe. I'm politically homeless at the minute and support no party.
  • Options
    Another big rejection of a No Deal Brexit if Labour wins.
  • Options

lol
  • Options
    If you aren’t green now...
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited June 2019
    Betfair on the verge of crossing back...
  • Options

And acceptance of corbynite anti semitism
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Apparently BP sources are bullish at the count now !
  • Options

True.

GOTV with over 500 activists is still important.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

And if they don’t? ;)
  • Options
    Brexit 1.01 train leaving the station.
  • Options
    almost neck and neck
  • Options
    Odds all over the place: clearly based on rumours rather than real information. Great news for punters looking for value.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    Bloody hell. Forget politics, one of the greatest musicians of the last 50 years died this morning.

RIP Mac Rebbenack, better known as Dr John.

:(
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

If we believe Labour on the ground if they win its about policing, the local Tory council, waste collection and schools - not Brexit - as those are the issues they campaigned on.
  • Options
    Cashed out at right time Lab back out to evens.

Looks like the top close to call comments could be spot on
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Yep, unfortunately. But when all voters have are crap choices they’re going to make crap choices. Farage is every bit as racist as Corbyn.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Brexit 1.01 train leaving the station.

I've got my stake out on Labour
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

It took about 12 hours to get a result in Peterborough at the 1966 election. The Tories won it by 3 votes.

You are Vincent Hanna and I claim my five pounds.
    I'd like to be him, but in fact I was watching it on YouTube a couple of weeks ago.
    Great stuff. Although my wife will say you are nearly as sad as I am! :smiley:
  • Options
    Never known a by-election where Labour have sounded so confident and then go on to lose though.
  • Options

Good timing for you though!
  • Options
    RobD said:

And if they don’t? ;)

Not a rejection!

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Never known a by-election where Labour have sounded so confident and then go on to lose though.

Dunfermline?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited June 2019
    This Week says Labour has said Labour core vote holding up but not enough but Brexit Party says they have been pipped by Labour core vote so still tight
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    According to the BBC journo there the Labour crowd at the count are claiming the Brexit party have probably won and the Brexit party crowd are saying Labour probably has?

• Options
    Brexit Party win brings all sorts of value into the next GE, that's the long term plan.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Another big endorsement for pro Brexit Corbyn too
  • Options

It was unfortunate for the LDs that a by-election was being held in one of their worst seats in that general area, where they got just 3% last time. Most Cambridgeshire seats are pretty good for the party of course.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

According to the BBC journo there the Labour crowd at the count are claiming the Brexit party have probably won and the Brexit party crowd are saying Labour probably has?

This is taking spinning and expectations management to a whole new level.
  • Options
    Car full of Monentum helpers back in Chesterfield say Lab went on Farage NHS views and his Thatcherite views in morning leaflet. The BXT leaflet showing Lab neck and neck seen as big own goal with many green and ld voters 2 weeks ago switching back.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Yes - BXP now back in front on the Exchange. But look at the volumes moving the odds - as I write, just £8 would move Labour from 2.78 to 3. I think it's a couple of guys playing the market rather than any solid info.
  • Options
    Cultists:

Our Glorious Leader may have triumphed in the most important by-election since the D Day landings freed Europe from capitalism.

(shome mistake surely?)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Corbyn or Farage?
    Jezza every time.

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure.
    I don't love the Tory party. Not under Theresa May, another xenophobe. I'm politically homeless at the minute and support no party.
    Well then, fair enough my friend. Corbyn or Farage? It is a judgement call. And I know which I choose.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

brendan16 said:

This is taking spinning and expectations management to a whole new level.
    Labour's expectation management has always been superb before now.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Lol, the betting odds are pretty much back to where they were at 10pm. Congrats to those who cashed out during that period when Labour was favourites.
  • Options
    This was probably Labour’s last chance to ditch corbyn before the next GE. If labour win Corbyn is back on front foot and labour is saddled with Marxist antisemite
  • Options
    BXP back in - have we got another flip flop yet ? Greedy ?
  • Options
    Well...whatever the result it's been a profitable evening for a lot of us I imagine.
  • Options

Bloody hell. Forget politics, one of the greatest musicians of the last 50 years died this morning.

RIP Mac Rebbenack, better known as Dr John.

:(

Such a night!!!
    One of my faves!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Car full of Monentum helpers back in Chesterfield say Lab went on Farage NHS views and his Thatcherite views in morning leaflet. The BXT leaflet showing Lab neck and neck seen as big own goal with many green and ld voters 2 weeks ago switching back.

As I said at the time it was a really strange leaflet after going to all the effort to build up Brexit v.s. Lib Dem.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Labour think high turnout helps them - because of their postal vote operation and because low turnout is usually middle class turnout.

I think that model is broken. A lot of the postal vote operation is older people, who are Brexity, and the working class aren't Labour's core vote any more either.

If Labour do win, it will be, as we saw in the Euros, in no small part down to the BME vote remaining relatively loyal in a fairly diverse constituency. Labour will be lucky there was no Galloway.
  • Options
    Elections with electronic voting would be rather boring compared to this, because you'd get an instant result at 10pm without any speculation.
  • Options
    Back to the price an hour ago 😀
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Corbyn or Farage?
    Jezza every time.

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure.
    Well then, fair enough my friend. Corbyn or Farage? It is a judgement call. And I know which I choose.
    If it had choose between the two, it would be Farage.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:
    I suppose it depends what areas come in first. I expect there are massive differences between wards and boxes in terms of Labour vs BXP depending on the demographics.

Earlier boxes and piles could be very misleading - maybe that kay tweet was right with the more urban Labour Asian areas coming in first and the more BXP friendly wards coming in later?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Betfair punters think TBP has won again.

I think they will after a recount!! (Hows that for expectation management)
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Sounds at least like Labour did better than a lot of people were expecting. A win would be great but a very close contest would beat the expectations at least.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

As I said at the time it was a really strange leaflet after going to all the effort to build up Brexit v.s. Lib Dem.
    It could have been aimed at Tories....
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Yep, unfortunately. But when all voters have are crap choices they’re going to make crap choices. Farage is every bit as racist as Corbyn.
    Farage is not as racist as Corbyn. Jeremy Corbyn is an out-and-out anti-Semite. He REALLY dislikes Jews and is not even ashamed of it,

I'd have Farage as an ethnocentric "patriot". He FAVOURS his own people/tribe/whatever.

I find them both distasteful, but Corbyn is the only one happily embracing terrorists. working for gay-hanging Iranian TV without shame, etc.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Elections with electronic voting would be rather boring compared to this, because you'd get an instant result at 10pm without any speculation.

I hope I don't live to see such a monstrosity.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:
    I suppose it depends what areas come in first. I expect there are massive differences between wards and boxes in terms of Labour vs BXP depending on the demographics.

Earlier boxes and piles could be very misleading.
    Very much so at the count for the EU referendum in Luton. One side would seem to be storming ahead, and then a load of votes would come back for the other.
  • Options

Yeah. Seemed obvious to me. If you are leading, don't identify your main challenger. Doesn't mean a Labour hold though.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

kjohnw said:

Farage is not as racist as Corbyn. Jeremy Corbyn is an out-and-out anti-Semite. He REALLY dislikes Jews and is not even ashamed of it,

I'd have Farage as an ethnocentric "patriot". He FAVOURS his own people/tribe/whatever.

I find them both distasteful, but Corbyn is the only one happily embracing terrorists. working for gay-hanging Iranian TV without shame, etc.
    Jews all ... is antisemitic. Muslims all ... is depressingly common in this thread.
  • Options

I think they will after a recount!!

Yes, me too, and I've got to work tomorrow, so won't sit up through the recounts. Good night all!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    HYUFD said:
    And this twitter rando would know because...?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:
    Who he? His other tweets seem light on politics.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:
    I wonder if they buckled to Farage's pressure and promoted the Brexit Party to the first tier of parties they prompt for.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    Can't they both lose? Please.
  • Options
    As soon as I heard the 48% turnout figure I thought that probably means a Brexit Party win.
  • Options

Yes, me too, and I've got to work tomorrow, so won't sit up through the recounts. Good night all!
    https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1136777742555459584
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Corbyn or Farage?
    Jezza every time.

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure.
    For me that is influenza v a cold.

I'd rather not either but one is worse. An actual racist, vs a panderer to racists. A friend of terrorists, vs a friend of Trump.

Ideally they could both lose. But ultimately if Corbyn goes he could be replaced by better. If Farage goes he isn't likely to be replaced by better.
  • Options
    It's about to swing heavily again to labour
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Corbyn or Farage?
    Jezza every time.

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure.
    If it had choose between the two, it would be Farage.
    Well then we agree to disagree.
  • Options

Byronic said:

kjohnw said:

Jews all ... is antisemitic. Muslims all ... is depressingly common in this thread.
    Well, I agree, and I wish neither were anywhere near power. But my point is good. Farage is a "passive" defender of what he perceives to be his people (however misjudged). He defends his view of *Britain*. By contrast, I think Corbyn goes considerably further, and actively dislikes Jews - wherever they are.

How sad that British politics has come to this. Farage v Corbyn.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1136777742555459584
    LBC reporting Brexit sources saying result could be through in 40 minutes....
  • Options

It's about to swing heavily again to labour

Why?
  • Options
    Goodnight all.

It's a great thing this cashout thing!!
This discussion has been closed.