Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Polling round-up. Euros, cra

Comments

• DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Scott_P said:
    That's a pretty good result for the Lib Dems.
    Could do better. 8/10
    7.5/10.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Scott_P said:
    Could do better. 8/10
    7.5/10.
    :lol:
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    viewcode said:

Why do people think a big turnout from the Asian part of Peterborough benefits Labour? A non-trivial amount voted Leave, so it's not a slam-dunk. Or are said areas of a different ethnicity?

Look at the 24 areas Labour won at the Euro elections. All of them had a high Asian population.
  • MauveMauve Posts: 129
    I managed to back Labour at 7-1 the other day. Hopefully the unthinkingly tribalist Labour voters have stuck their cross in the right place and not split off to the Lib Dems (who never stood a chance in the seat and will be lucky to get over 15%)

Should be a good night on Saturday if they have.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Brexit Party saying they had 400 to 500 activists out today so not the 1000 that was tweeted earlier .
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Scott_P said:
    Apparently this is a local election vote postponed from 2 May as the UKIP candidate died after nominations closed. Still its Ross on Wye - so you might expect the LDs to do well there.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    Ok folks. Do we have an ETA for the result?
    nunuone said:

I'm hearing the by-election was a secret ballot.

Pencils or pens in the polling booths?
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    HYUFD said:
    The Liveblog on LabourList shows that is them repeating the Election Maps UK prediction from a couple of days ago. It's not based on count information tonight.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited June 2019
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

Why do people think a big turnout from the Asian part of Peterborough benefits Labour? A non-trivial amount voted Leave, so it's not a slam-dunk. Or are said areas of a different ethnicity?

Look at the 24 areas Labour won at the Euro elections. All of them had a high Asian population.
    This is a very US style of analysis but all these seats are now Labour I think :

https://conservativemuslimforum.com/can-we-help/resources/muslim-demographics-by-constituency/292/
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

Bar Liverpool natch.
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    HYUFD said:
    Have all the ballot boxes even arrived at the count?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    viewcode said:

Ok folks. Do we have an ETA for the result?

If there's a recount we could be here until 5am!

#COFFEE :D
    Kemi Badenoch is backing Michael Gove.
    viewcode said:

Some wards in the constituency have large Muslim populations - and that community tends to vote 70-80 per cent Labour. Labour are also more likely to have a well developed postal vote operation - as they have several elections experience unlike the Brexit party.

We will soon see if that is enough to win.
    HYUFD said:
    Don't want to blow my own trumpet but that's almost exactly in line with my prediction from yesterday.
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

Thank you.
    HYUFD said:
    Pretty good for a by-election. As we all know from the Euros, high turnout means the LDs have won. Just off to top up at 990/1.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    HYUFD said:
    The Pope is, I'm told, currently a Roman Catholic ...
    High turnout apparently for a by election . 48.4% . My moneys on the Brexit Party if that’s the case .
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    That's reassuring. The way the world has been in last 2 or 3 years, I would be expecting a Gnostic to have been elected by the Cardinals.
    Much higher turnout than most people were expecting. At the local elections and the Euros it was around 35%.
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    Does the pub have a late licence until 5am?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764
    Pulpstar said:
    I think it benefits TBP.

Or Labour.
    How can you estimate to a sub-single %?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    That's reassuring. The way the world has been in last 2 or 3 years, I would be expecting a Gnostic to have been elected by the Cardinals.
    Yes - she's been a Catholic all her life.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2019
    GIN1138 said:
    Above par, which would be ~ low 40s.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    HYUFD said:
    That's just the Election Maps prediction from this morning, which Labour List was reporting to pass the time.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Could be preliminary count that hasn’t been verified?
    The more motivated voters will be those for the Brexit Party .

I’d be shocked if they don’t win this .

It'll be the end of verification.
    nico67 said:

Higher turnout means less motivated types have come out... aka Labour's postal operation.
    I think a low turnout would have been good for Labour, and a high one good for the Brexit Party, (which is the opposite of what the BBC's Newsnight correspondent was saying).
    GIN1138 said:
    Slightly above average (typically 40-45%)
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If Labour do sneak this from BXP, will the Tory leadership contenders be happy or sad?
    AndyJS said:

I think a low turnout would have been good for Labour, and a high one good for the Brexit Party, (which is the opposite of what the BBC's Newsnight correspondent was saying).

I think the Newsnight analysis is correct, Labour always need those "extra" voters to head out.
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    nico67 said:

High turnout apparently for a by election . 48.4% . My moneys on the Brexit Party if that’s the case .

I would say the same. Unless Peterborough has a very high BAME demographic. Muslims are clearly turning out for Corbyn, en masse, as we saw in the euros.

Does anyone know the ethnic breakdown of this constituency?

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:
    Don't want to blow my own trumpet but that's almost exactly in line with my prediction from yesterday.
    I've been predicting much the same for the last few days. But as I say, it's not an estimate from the count, merely something someone said this morning. This Alan bloke may not have the best interest of punters at heart...
    nico67 said:

1.31 at monent
  • nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    AndyJS said:

I agree
    Copeland was 51%, Witney 46%, Richmond Park 53%, Stoke Central 38%, Oldham West 40%, Sleaford 37%.
  • dixiedean said:

Tories hoping for a Labour win.
    Labour praying that the Tory vote doesn't totally crater in order to help them win.
    Strange days indeed. Most peculiar Mama.

dixiedean said:

Tories hoping for a Labour win.
    Labour praying that the Tory vote doesn't totally crater in order to help them win.
    Strange days indeed. Most peculiar Mama.

:)

Not enough Lennonists on PB these days.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited June 2019
    Jonathan said:

If Labour do sneak this from BXP, will the Tory leadership contenders be happy or sad?

Neutral, however Boris might be a little pleased as he does best with Brexit Party voters and if Labour win it will be because of a split Eurosceptic vote and the Brexit Party cannot beat Corbyn Labour only a Eurosceptic Tory can
    Jonathan said:

Happy because it would herald a return to normal politics so the new PM will have slightly more room to manoeuvre on Brexit and on calling a snap election.
    RobD said:

Could be preliminary count that hasn’t been verified?
    Every count has two stages: verification and candidate counting. Verification is where they check that the right number of ballot papers are in each ballot box, and when they've finished this they can say what the turnout was. After that, they start putting the votes into different piles for each candidate.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    AndyJS said:

+1

Higher turnout means votes from people less likely to be committed to a party. More swing voters. I don’t think swing voters are going Labour in this by election.
    Jonathan said:

More interestingly, as an honourably anti-Corbyn Labour vote, how would you feel?

Obviously, a win would be good for Corbyn, but what is good for Corbyn is bad for Labour, I think? Unless your tribalism has overwhelmed you.
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

I would say the same. Unless Peterborough has a very high BAME demographic. Muslims are clearly turning out for Corbyn, en masse, as we saw in the euros.

From the 2011 census:

77% White
    16% Asian
    3% Mixed
    2% Black
    1% Other

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/home-affairs/communities/demography/constituency-statistics-ethnicity/#single_constituency
  • Have we got an ETA for the result tonight?
  • oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

As of the 2011 Census it looked like this. So probably a bit less White British now, although that skews heavily younger, so a larger than average proportion of Peterborough Muslims will be below voting age.

White 77.4
    Mixed/multiple ethnic groups 2.9
    Asian/Asian British 16.4
    Black/African/Caribbean/Black British 2.3
    Other ethnic group 1.0
    Quincel said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

From the 2011 census:

77% White
    16% Asian
    3% Mixed
    2% Black
    1% Other

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/home-affairs/communities/demography/constituency-statistics-ethnicity/#single_constituency
    Of course that data is 8 years out of date so its probably more diverse now.

Have we got an ETA for the result tonight?

between 3 and 5 am!
    Quincel said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

From the 2011 census:

77% White
    16% Asian
    3% Mixed
    2% Black
    1% Other

A heavy proportion of the white population is not white British.
    Quincel said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

From the 2011 census:

77% White
    16% Asian
    3% Mixed
    2% Black
    1% Other

Interesting. Thanks. That's much more demographically mixed, and Asian/Muslim, than I expected. I thought Peterborough was more East European, if anything. Maybe that is subsumed in "white"?

Either way, the Muslim commitment to vote for the Hamas-loving, Hezbollah-hugging Corbynite Labour is evident. So.....

Hmm.
    Well LabourList think high turnout is good for Labour. Which tells us...nothing. But I thought people might be interested.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:
    I think it benefits TBP.

Or Labour.
    Clearly a positive for the libdems
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Neutral, however Boris might be a little pleased as he does best with Brexit Party voters and if Labour win it will be because of a split Eurosceptic vote and the Brexit Party cannot beat Corbyn Labour only a Eurosceptic Tory can
    In which case you can expect the Tories to be wheeling out the bar charts in every leave constituency in the country with "BREXIT PARTY CAN'T WIN HERE" a la Lib Dem.

nico67 said:

1.31 at monent
    Now 1.34 - drifting slowly. One key point if it's close - tactical voting is back. There must be a LOT of voters who went LibDem at the Euros to support Remain and Labour now to try to hold off BXP.
    It took about 12 hours to get a result in Peterborough at the 1966 election. The Tories won it by 3 votes.
    edited June 2019
    brendan16 said:

Quincel said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

From the 2011 census:

77% White
    16% Asian
    3% Mixed
    2% Black
    1% Other

Of course that data is 8 years out of date so its probably more diverse now.
    And White will include EU nationals who do not have the franchise in this election. Was just over 10%, but now will be a fair bit higher.

nico67 said:

1.31 at monent
    Now 1.34 - drifting slowly. One key point if it's close - tactical voting is back. There must be a LOT of voters who went LibDem at the Euros to support Remain and Labour now to try to hold off BXP.
    Suddenly drifting a bit more quickly. 1.5 or so, but volatile.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Benefits Labour I think.

I think it benefits TBP.

Or Labour.
    Clearly a positive for the libdems
    Good news for the Conservatives
    Now jumped to 1.43 - someone cashing out? It's quite a thin market.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Flip flop in 20 minutes on Betfair...
    edited June 2019
    Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

More interestingly, as an honourably anti-Corbyn Labour vote, how would you feel?

Obviously, a win would be good for Corbyn, but what is good for Corbyn is bad for Labour, I think? Unless your tribalism has overwhelmed you.
    If Corbyn Labour win thanks to the BAME vote with the Brexit Party a close second (or the reverse) that keeps Corbyn in place, he can say his strategy is working while bad for Labour Remainers, they wanted a better LD performance tonight
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    AndyJS said:

It took about 12 hours to get a result in Peterborough at the 1966 election. The Tories won it by 3 votes.

May take that long. Won't be that outcome though.
    Byronic said:

Quincel said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

From the 2011 census:

77% White
    16% Asian
    3% Mixed
    2% Black
    1% Other

Interesting. Thanks. That's much more demographically mixed, and Asian/Muslim, than I expected. I thought Peterborough was more East European, if anything. Maybe that is subsumed in "white"?

Either way, the Muslim commitment to vote for the Hamas-loving, Hezbollah-hugging Corbynite Labour is evident. So.....

Hmm.
    Eastern European nationals cannot vote in parliamentary elections - but they could on 23 May. If they voted then they probably weren't voting wholesale for the Brexit party.

So the electorate is more white British and Asian/Muslim than the adult population.

Now jumped to 1.43 - someone cashing out? It's quite a thin market.

Brexit Party should never have been 1.2 here I can tell you that.
    Someone evidently thinks BXP may have lost - Labour price racing in. Trouble is, it's hard to tell rumour from profit-taking.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Jonathan said:

I don't know about the leadership contenders but I'm sad about any victory by Corbyn. At this time the country needs an honourable and serious opposition to hold the government to account. And we have an antisemitic Marxist instead.

Someone evidently thinks BXP may have lost - Labour price racing in. Trouble is, it's hard to tell rumour from profit-taking.

I secretly love this time of an election night. There's amazing value available given the information now known, but we never know which because of all the other wrong information we can't distinguish.
    If Labour win this, the big winner is Corbyn - no doubt about it. OK for Labour, but fabulous for Corbyn.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    This tweet from half an hour ago might be driving things:
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1136761487173791744
    Flip flop. Labour's won.
    edited June 2019

This tweet from half an hour ago might be driving things:
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1136761487173791744

I think it was the turnout and “higher turnout benefits Labour” theory.
  • Labour surging on betfair, think they have got it
    Pulpstar said:

If Labour win this, the big winner is Corbyn - no doubt about it. OK for Labour, but fabulous for Corbyn.

Keeps his job.
    !!!

(Not shown. My mass of bets on TBP at 1/4 with bookies. Ugh...)
    I genuinely don't know who I want to win... :(
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

If Corbyn Labour win thanks to the BAME vote with the Brexit Party a close second (or the reverse) that keeps Corbyn in place, he can say his strategy is working while bad for Labour Remainers, they wanted a better LD performance tonight
    Good point . I’m really torn as a Labour Remainer . If I was in Peterborough I’d have to weigh up the BP winning versus sending a clear message to Labour . If they win it’s because the anti BP vote trumped those wanting Corbyn to get off the fence .
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Wasn’t 20 mins - more like 5.

Jonathan said:

I don't know about the leadership contenders but I'm sad about any victory by Corbyn. At this time the country needs an honourable and serious opposition to hold the government to account. And we have an antisemitic Marxist instead.
    Yep. A Lab loss could have given us a sliver of hope of a challenge this summer.
    RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

In which case you can expect the Tories to be wheeling out the bar charts in every leave constituency in the country with "BREXIT PARTY CAN'T WIN HERE" a la Lib Dem.
    If they have any sense yes but will only work with Boris or Raab I think even then
    Remarkable change in the betting - someone's very sure. I wonder why?
    What is odd about this market is the odd two quids still available to lay at 1000 on the also-rans. You'd not expect to see the pro's leaving money on the table like that. It might not be the big players playing.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    viewcode said:

I genuinely don't know who I want to win... :(

I want the candidate who was outed for her antisemitic and hate-filled views to be defeated.
    Why have the Betfair odds just changed so much?
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Don't the LibDems at the count usually tweet about now to say that they believe X is just ahead. They (or the Tories) are probably in the best position to give an objective view.
    AndyJS said:

You are Vincent Hanna and I claim my five pounds.

What is odd about this market is the odd two quids still available to lay at 1000 on the also-rans. You'd not expect to see the pro's leaving money on the table like that. It might not be the big players playing.

Not that I can see. Are we talking Betfair exchange?
This discussion has been closed.