Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson – The False Favourite for the Tory leadership

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

> @ydoethur said:

> England well short of a good total here. They need at least 350 and they're going to end up with 300 at best even if Morgan doesn't find an ingenious way to self-destruct.

Nah, we're on for at least 330.

STFU you fool...

If we lose a wicket now...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    > @ydoethur said:
    > England well short of a good total here. They need at least 350 and they're going to end up with 300 at best even if Morgan doesn't find an ingenious way to self-destruct.

Betfair over / underscore is 341.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100
    > @malcolmg said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    >
    > > Raab: The Movie
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/status/1134030344649355264
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Raab certainly seems to be on the front foot with his digital campaign... Not sure how much difference it will make with his MPs and Con members though.
    >
    >
    >
    > The former won't be swayed by slick marketing videos even if they do go viral and I doubt many of the later are even on social media.
    >
    >
    >
    > Still, I suppose its a sign that if he became Con leader a Raab general election campaign would at least be professional (which will be a relief to Con MPs after the 2017 debacle...
    >
    > I'm waiting for the TV debates to see who looks comfortable on screen. I suspect the MPs will do the same. My gut feeling is that they will have to choose a brexiteer outside the current cabinet vs Hunt, and then see where the members land. They'll then have to hope that the chosen leader can connect with the voters. All of us - MPs, members and voters - will have to test our fear of Brexit vs our fear of Corbyn
    >
    > What a waste of TV time, showing a bunch of donkeys parading for a provincial English political party which is only of interest to the 120K Tory members as the population is excluded from the democratic process( as if there was any in the UK ).

I can't imagine viewing figures will be high, unless they can find an interesting way of presenting it. Perhaps a Game of Thrones theme. Or maybe Love Island...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > > @ydoethur said:
    > > > England well short of a good total here. They need at least 350 and they're going to end up with 300 at best even if Morgan doesn't find an ingenious way to self-destruct.
    > >
    > > Nah, we're on for at least 330.
    >
    > It will be criminal if Jos Butler ends up not batting the last 10.

Depends what the batsmen at the crease score. Criminal if they're taking 6 an over. 12 an over not so much, because Buttler is a risk
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    edited May 2019

> @ydoethur said:

Hundred partnership for Morgan and Stokes, they should start pushing the run rate up now they’re both in the 50 club.

Edit: I’m going to shut up now.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > My two cents on what Boris would do for the Tories' electoral prospects. I think the case for Boris as some super-charismatic vote-winning machine has been massively overstated, and is largely being driven by people with no intuition for human behaviour desperately applying some really flawed pattern recognition. He's, er, kinda like Trump and Farage, right? That must mean he'll be a populist icon like they, er, kinda are, right?
    >
    > He did win two mayoral elections in London, and that's not nothing, but it's a role that most people don't take that seriously, and I think people underestimate the effect of the Evening Standard propagandising for him day in, day out, for months leading up to the votes.
    >
    > In actually I think he's prone to stupid mistakes, stupid reactions (panic-quitting the cabinet after Davis, denying what he said about Zaghari-Ratcliffe despite it being on video), and embarrassing interviews like the one where Miliband handily beat him in the run up to 2015. His umming and erring is part of his style, but it's going to be a real liability when he's regularly faced with difficult interviews, because it makes him sound almost cartoonishly guilty and evasive.
    >
    > The one asset I <i>do</i> think he has though is the ability to set the media agenda. Failing to do this was one of the biggest- if not the biggest- reasons that May's campaign did so badly in 2017. Day after day, Labour were setting the agenda, having the conversation on their terms. In the next election (assuming it's not totally dominated by Brexit in which case I have no idea what will happen), the Conservatives are going to be faced with the same fundamental problem as May: that they really don't have a vision or policy platform to sell the public, whereas Labour does. Labour will be presenting a manifesto stuffed full of policies which, according to polling, the public love, and I think the Tories' fortunes will rely largely on the ability to divert the spotlight from those policies. Boris may well be capable of that.

A gaffe a day keeps the policy discussion away, perhaps?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Well Jos Buttler time...
  • Options
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > https://twitter.com/JamesERothwell/status/1134056852038328322

Quite right. The uncertainty is worse than the destination.
  • Options
    @TheWhiteRabbit

You idiot.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    > @TGOHF said:
    > > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > > r.com/JamesERothwell/status/1134056852038328322
    >
    >
    >
    > Quite right. The uncertainty is worse than the destination.
    >

No Deal removes uncertainty for the EU, but not for the UK.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Sandpit said:

> @ydoethur said:

Hundred partnership for Morgan and Stokes, they should start pushing the run rate up now they’re both in the 50 club.

You much bigger idiot.

Honestly, when we fail to get a decent score, and can't defend it because de Kock feasts on our bowlers' pies, you know who's to blame, don't you?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Hi Sunil, I actually have a serious question about railways. I was at Hednesford station this morning admiring our shiny new electric trains (which are very quiet and very fast, before you ask). I was punching some numbers into the ticket vending machine and to my astonishment it offered me an off-peak travelcard zones 1-6 to London for £10 as long as I used the LNR direct service.

Couple of questions:

1) I can't find this price anywhere online. Can you get cheaper tickets rocking up on the station or would it normally be online?

2) Would a travelcard always include a return to the station where it was purchased?

If I really can get them at that price, I'm already planning loads of trips to London...

Well, if the machine says you can do it for £10 then go for it! The Travelcard enables you to get off at Euston and go anywhere in Zones 1-6 after 9.30am and all-day weekends/holidays.
    I'm just baffled there's a price available on the machine that's not on the net. Is that usual? Cheapest I can get from any website (including theirs) is £37.
    I've done London to Coventry on Virgin Trains for £9, but one way only and that was booking in advance. Seems weird that the LNWR website doesn't offer the cheaper option. But I guess turning up at the station and getting a knowledgeable bloke or lady at the counter helps out. When I went to Brighton with my mum and brother at the weekend, the guy at the counter at London Blackfriars pointed out it was much cheaper to get two sets of Groupsave singles £8 each of us, each way, than buying Groupsave open returns (£24 each).
    OK, thanks. I think I will try a dry run tomorrow and see what happens.
    Hope it goes well! I did the Rugeley TV branch way back in 2014, of course before the electrification beyond Walsall. Speaking of Travelcard area, Hertford North had joined TfL's Oystercard/Contactless zone. Visited Hertford North itself a week ago, Cuffley and Bayford on Tuesday this week :)

Meridian Water, near Tottenham, is supposed to open on Monday (but delayed from the 28th and before that from the 20th!). We'll see!
  • Options
    I don't feel good about this game at all. It feels like too many dot balls, all these batsmen getting in and then getting out.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    > @IanB2 said:
    > But how do you punish a driverless car?

Sentence it to 10 minutes being driven by its human
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

> @ydoethur said:

You much bigger idiot.

Honestly, when we fail to get a decent score, and can't defend it because de Kock feasts on our bowlers' pies, you know who's to blame, don't you?
    Michael Gove?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > I don't feel good about this game at all. It feels like too many dot balls, all these batsmen getting in and then getting out.

Shows how much the game has changed in 20 years. England are about to cruise past the total South Africa racked up in 1999.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > @Chris said:
    > > @Stereotomy said:
    > > My two cents on what Boris would do for the Tories' electoral prospects. I think the case for Boris as some super-charismatic vote-winning machine has been massively overstated, and is largely being driven by people with no intuition for human behaviour desperately applying some really flawed pattern recognition. He's, er, kinda like Trump and Farage, right? That must mean he'll be a populist icon like they, er, kinda are, right?
    > >
    > > He did win two mayoral elections in London, and that's not nothing, but it's a role that most people don't take that seriously, and I think people underestimate the effect of the Evening Standard propagandising for him day in, day out, for months leading up to the votes.
    > >
    > > In actually I think he's prone to stupid mistakes, stupid reactions (panic-quitting the cabinet after Davis, denying what he said about Zaghari-Ratcliffe despite it being on video), and embarrassing interviews like the one where Miliband handily beat him in the run up to 2015. His umming and erring is part of his style, but it's going to be a real liability when he's regularly faced with difficult interviews, because it makes him sound almost cartoonishly guilty and evasive.
    > >
    > > The one asset I <i>do</i> think he has though is the ability to set the media agenda. Failing to do this was one of the biggest- if not the biggest- reasons that May's campaign did so badly in 2017. Day after day, Labour were setting the agenda, having the conversation on their terms. In the next election (assuming it's not totally dominated by Brexit in which case I have no idea what will happen), the Conservatives are going to be faced with the same fundamental problem as May: that they really don't have a vision or policy platform to sell the public, whereas Labour does. Labour will be presenting a manifesto stuffed full of policies which, according to polling, the public love, and I think the Tories' fortunes will rely largely on the ability to divert the spotlight from those policies. Boris may well be capable of that.
    >
    > A gaffe a day keeps the policy discussion away, perhaps?

Eh, I don't think the gaffes I mentioned were dead cats, they didn't seem to serve any tactical purpose. Seemed like genuine screw-ups. On the other hand I'm sure that is a technique he'd be able to successfully deploy when it was called for.
  • Options
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > I don't feel good about this game at all. It feels like too many dot balls, all these batsmen getting in and then getting out.

That might be an indication that the wicket isn't as good for batting as it looks. Either variability or stopping a bit.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

> @ydoethur said:

You much bigger idiot.

Michael Gove?
    Even I can't blame him for that.

Does he follow cricket?
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > > England well short of a good total here. They need at least 350 and they're going to end up with 300 at best even if Morgan doesn't find an ingenious way to self-destruct.
    >
    >
    >
    > Nah, we're on for at least 330.
    >
    > Hundred partnership for Morgan and Stokes, they should start pushing the run rate up now they’re both in the 50 club.
    >
    > Edit: I’m going to shut up now.
    >
    > You much bigger idiot.
    >
    > Honestly, when we fail to get a decent score, and can't defend it because de Kock feasts on our bowlers' pies, you know who's to blame, don't you?

Brexit?
  • Options
    Another poor over for England.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @TGOHF said:
    > > > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > > > r.com/JamesERothwell/status/1134056852038328322
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Quite right. The uncertainty is worse than the destination.
    > >
    >
    > No Deal removes uncertainty for the EU, but not for the UK.

Indeed - the Germans would be better off with certainty.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Should he have flogged his car instead to show solidarity with John Cleese?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    > @TGOHF said:
    > Quite right. The uncertainty is worse than the destination.

No Deal isn't a destination, it's an incredibly shitty setup for years of bad-tempered negotiations about the destination.
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @ydoethur said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > > England well short of a good total here. They need at least 350 and they're going to end up with 300 at best even if Morgan doesn't find an ingenious way to self-destruct.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > STFU you fool...
    >
    > If we lose a wicket now...

350 easy
  • Options
    ah009 said:

350 easy

*groans gently and puts head in hands*
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited May 2019
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > &
    > I think Gove is now the more likely opponent for Boris or Raab than Hunt
    >
    > Gove vs Raab or Boris in the final would mean both are from the same Brexit camp. It is possible but the mechanics probably give Hunt a good chance of representing the soft Brexit team, or Javid.

Hunt has refused to rule out asking for further extension in October, Boris or Raab have said they will leave with or without a Deal, Gove has kept his cards close to his chest. Whichever of Boris or Raab is knocked out first will likely send their supporters to the other and Gove knocking out Hunt, Javid is trailing behind with MP supporters
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited May 2019
    Rory Stewart in that clip clearly destroys the no deal fantasy.

It’s astonishing how so many Leavers continue to ignore facts and just think if you believe in something enough it will miraculously happen .

Even more unbelievable even when the no deals favourite economist Minford states that will finish off manufacturing and farming the no deal followers don’t believe it .
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1134068238197952513

Good.

This cast of unknowns and non-entities standing to be Prime Minister is crazy and shows a total lack of self awareness on behalf of half the people standing...
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/EmmieRosePG/status/1133868022756773888

Belarussian troll farms are good for "Moggmentum" astroturfing and retweets, but not so good at buying paper and ink.
  • Options
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > https://twitter.com/JamesERothwell/status/1134056852038328322

No surprise, if Germany does not do it Macron likely will anyway.

At least it forces the issue, MPs can either vote for the Withdrawal Agreement or EUref2 soon or they will be forced to vote for Revoke in October to avoid No Deal and thus put a target on their backs for the Brexit Party in the process
  • Options
    What's especially frustrating about that scorecard is that four batsmen have made 50 but the highest score so far is 57. None of them seem to have thought about the need for one set batsman to carry on.

Stokes is still there, but he's not the one I'd choose for that role. Morgan or Roy are, but they gifted their wickets away.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > Rory live on Sky. Very anti no deal and very impressive
    >
    > I would expect in the televised debates he will be very successful

How many candidates have so far accepted the invitation of the broadcasters?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    > @edmundintokyo said:
    > > @TGOHF said:
    > > Quite right. The uncertainty is worse than the destination.
    >
    > No Deal isn't a destination, it's an incredibly shitty setup for years of bad-tempered negotiations about the destination.

Bad-tempered negotiating? In reality it will be desperate begging from week 4 of no deal onwards as reality dawns on people.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1134068238197952513
    >
    > Good.
    >
    > This cast of unknowns and non-entities standing to be Prime Minister is crazy and shows a total lack of self awareness on behalf of half the people standing...

They'll get cut down on the first ballot anyway, it's the nature of the beast.
  • Options
    Well England need to really step on the gas now.
  • Options
    eek said:

Bad-tempered negotiating? In reality it will be desperate begging from week 4 of no deal onwards as reality dawns on people.

If you want reality to dawn, don't vote for Gove. He still thinks his disastrous education reforms have been a rousing success even after four years of data showing the exact opposite.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

> @ydoethur said:

You much bigger idiot.

Michael Gove?
    Even I can't blame him for that.

Does he follow cricket?
    The most boring sport in the world save for golf? :lol:
  • Options
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > Well England need to really step on the gas now.

Bf expects 333 runs, which has only been +/-1 10 runs all game
  • Options

Never knew you were a fan of clay pigeon shooting.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

> @FrancisUrquhart said:

Looks about right to me.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    ah009 said:

> @TheWhiteRabbit said:

> > @IanB2 said:

> > > @TrèsDifficile said:

> > > > @Morris_Dancer said:

> > >

> > > > Mr. B2, Yorkshire is not in the south. Cease this blasphemy!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Most southerly part of the British Isles part of the UK is approx N49 51.000. Most northerly is approx N60 51.000. That means the midway point, delineating north and south is at N55 21.000. That a line cutting roughly through Girvan - Moffat - Amble. Yorkshire is *entirely* in the southern half.

> > >

> > > I'd say that 'the North' and 'the South' tend to refer to England.

> > >

> > > If you add the counties' areas in order from north to south, with their southern tip being the defining point, you reach half the area of England (c65,200 sq km) somewhere between Shropshire and Norfolk.

> >

> >

> > Yes, weighting by land area, such that you find the balancing point were you to cut the shape of the UK out of a piece of cardboard, or alternatively the population-weighed centre point, would be more logical.

>

> On a land area weighting, the answer is near Liverpool

>

> But that's for the UK as a whole

Scotland is granite and therefore heavier than the chalky downs in the south ;)

Glaciation. The topsoil in Scotland was scraped off and weighed down, which is why Aberdeen is built out of granite and Scotland is so rugged and beautiful (apart from the obvious bits). It was pressed down during glaciation and is now slowly rebounding back up. The South East of England is more chalky and clay, which is why people don't go caving in Surrey: fewer caves. South West coast soil is looser and contains more sand and gravel. Wales is drowning in good stone and slate which is why all the terraces are still up, but the building standards were poor and mines cause subsidence, which is why you need to gut them. Slate is an excellent roofing material but SE England excess it in favour of compressed concrete tiles or in some cases asbestos tiling, which is why when you buy in SEE you really have to check the roof... :)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    We’ll struggle to get 280 now.

Oh Jos.
  • Options
    Oh god....told you had a bad feeling about this game.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

> @FrancisUrquhart said:

Looks about right to me.
    Congratulations all three of you. I hope you are satisfied with your moment of utter madness such as we have not seen since Ron Davies went badger watching on Clapham Common.
  • Options
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hundred partnership for Morgan and Stokes, they should start pushing the run rate up now they’re both in the 50 club.
    >
    > Edit: I’m going to shut up now.
    >
    > You much bigger idiot.
    >
    > Honestly, when we fail to get a decent score, and can't defend it because de Kock feasts on our bowlers' pies, you know who's to blame, don't you?
    >
    > Michael Gove?
    >
    > Even I can't blame him for that.
    >
    > Does he follow cricket?
    >
    > The most boring sport in the world save for golf? :lol:

Golf is in a class of its own for the sheer wankery of it institutions, players, fans.
    Bulldoze every course in the country and build houses on them.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,503
    Not looking so good for England at the moment
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1134068238197952513
    >
    > Good.
    >
    > This cast of unknowns and non-entities standing to be Prime Minister is crazy and shows a total lack of self awareness on behalf of half the people standing...

The whole thing has descended into farce. How can any candidate that has been elected by an electorate of 50k of peculiar demographic claim any democratic mandate? Particularly if they stand on a more extreme mandate than was offered by Theresa May. And brexiteers bang on about "democracy". Our system and our politicians are a laughing stock.
  • Options
    > @ExiledInScotland said:
    > Not looking so good for England at the moment

Still odds on. It's basically in the bag.
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > > @ydoethur said:
    > >
    > > > England well short of a good total here. They need at least 350 and they're going to end up with 300 at best even if Morgan doesn't find an ingenious way to self-destruct.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hundred partnership for Morgan and Stokes, they should start pushing the run rate up now they’re both in the 50 club.
    > >
    > > Edit: I’m going to shut up now.
    > >
    > > You much bigger idiot.
    > >
    > > Honestly, when we fail to get a decent score, and can't defend it because de Kock feasts on our bowlers' pies, you know who's to blame, don't you?
    > >
    > > Michael Gove?
    > >
    > > Even I can't blame him for that.
    > >
    > > Does he follow cricket?
    > >
    > > The most boring sport in the world save for golf? :lol:
    >
    > Golf is in a class of its own for the sheer wankery of it institutions, players, fans.
    > Bulldoze every course in the country and build houses on them.

Can we not talk about Golf, I am still suffering PTSD from my betting on the Ryder Cup.
  • Options
    Somehow Stokes has to bat through and go big if we're to get much above 300.

But he's not very good at that. And while the lower order are capable they won't bat long.

The odds are definitely on a score of around 290.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    Scott_P said:
    So now we know he has 733 friends and family. Christmas time should be fun. "Oh...thank you Jacob. Yes. That looks...lovely. By the way, did you keep the receipt?"
  • Options
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > Can we not talk about Golf, I am still suffering PTSD from my betting on the Ryder Cup.

Suits me! Ban it completely for all I care :D
  • Options
    ah009 said:

Still odds on. It's basically in the bag.

Dear heaven, what do people have to do to get banned on this site?

If you don't shut up, I'll claim you've been making rude remarks about Radiohead.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186

Thats Brexit for you
  • Options
    And another shit over for England.
  • Options
    > @eek said:
    > > @edmundintokyo said:
    > > > @TGOHF said:
    > > > Quite right. The uncertainty is worse than the destination.
    > >
    > > No Deal isn't a destination, it's an incredibly shitty setup for years of bad-tempered negotiations about the destination.
    >
    > Bad-tempered negotiating? In reality it will be desperate begging from week 4 of no deal onwards as reality dawns on people.

Indeed. Brexiteers will see us all swirl down a plughole of international credibility, whilst gurgling "they need us more than we need them"
  • Options

Indeed. Brexiteers will see us all swirl down a plughole of international credibility, whilst gurgling "they need us more than we need them"

Why is a no-deal Brexit like a round of golf?

The aim is to get into a lot of holes as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1133799136376107009?s=20

A rather more credible figure than the current incumbent. RIP
  • Options
    > @Nigel_Foremain said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1133799136376107009?s=20
    >
    > A rather more credible figure than the current incumbent. RIP

Yes a university contemporary was his agent
  • Options

We’ll struggle to get 280 now.

Oh Jos.

Can I please buy runs at £1 each above 280?
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1134041219309473792?s=20

That is a bar chart that will make headbangers froth even more than one on a LibDem leaflet
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Never knew you were a fan of clay pigeon shooting.
    I'm not! But cricket is just sheer tedium :)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > > @ydoethur said:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hundred partnership for Morgan and Stokes, they should start pushing the run rate up now they’re both in the 50 club.
    > >
    > > Edit: I’m going to shut up now.
    > >
    > > You much bigger idiot.
    > >
    > > Honestly, when we fail to get a decent score, and can't defend it because de Kock feasts on our bowlers' pies, you know who's to blame, don't you?
    > >
    > > Michael Gove?
    > >
    > > Even I can't blame him for that.
    > >
    > > Does he follow cricket?
    > >
    > > The most boring sport in the world save for golf? :lol:
    >
    > Golf is in a class of its own for the sheer wankery of it institutions, players, fans.
    > Bulldoze every course in the country and build houses on them.

I was with you until the last sentence. Better to re-wild these huge tracts of lawn.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1134041219309473792?s=20

It is therefore either Jeremy Hunt or Michael Gove as the best "stop the narcissist liar" candidate
  • Options

It is therefore either Jeremy Hunt or Michael Gove as the best "stop the narcissist liar" candidate

Michael Gove doesn't meet the minimum criteria for that role. That leaves Hunt.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > > @ah009 said:
    > > > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > > > @ydoethur said:
    > > >
    > > > > England well short of a good total here. They need at least 350 and they're going to end up with 300 at best even if Morgan doesn't find an ingenious way to self-destruct.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Nah, we're on for at least 330.
    > > >
    > > > Hundred partnership for Morgan and Stokes, they should start pushing the run rate up now they’re both in the 50 club.
    > > >
    > > > Edit: I’m going to shut up now.
    > > >
    > > > You much bigger idiot.
    > > >
    > > > Honestly, when we fail to get a decent score, and can't defend it because de Kock feasts on our bowlers' pies, you know who's to blame, don't you?
    > > >
    > > > Michael Gove?
    > > >
    > > > Even I can't blame him for that.
    > > >
    > > > Does he follow cricket?
    > > >
    > > > The most boring sport in the world save for golf? :lol:
    > >
    > > Golf is in a class of its own for the sheer wankery of it institutions, players, fans.
    > > Bulldoze every course in the country and build houses on them.
    >
    > I was with you until the last sentence. Better to re-wild these huge tracts of lawn.

You've changed my mind there.
  • Options
    Oh Mo, Mo, Mo...
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > Indeed. Brexiteers will see us all swirl down a plughole of international credibility, whilst gurgling "they need us more than we need them"
    >
    > Why is a no-deal Brexit like a round of golf?
    >
    > The aim is to get into a lot of holes as quickly as possible.

+1
    I think if we must compare it to a game, we should perhaps compare it to the biscuit game that Jacob Rees Mogg probably played at Eton, with 27 participants and Britain has to eat the biscuit.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    > @williamglenn said:
    > https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1134008889660325888?s=21

Like when they refuse to vaccinate them?
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > It is therefore either Jeremy Hunt or Michael Gove as the best "stop the narcissist liar" candidate
    >
    > Michael Gove doesn't meet the minimum criteria for that role. That leaves Hunt.

Who by coincidence has a name which rhymes with the word I think of every time I see Boris
  • Options
    Well game over...SA will win this easily.
  • Options

Who by coincidence has a name which rhymes with the word I think of every time I see Boris

Really? Why do you think of him as a bunt?
  • Options
    When the commentaries start to talk about how England bat deep you know we are in trouble.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Last 5 Ov (Run Rate)
    30/2 (6.00)

What are England doing ? The 30 runs is far less forgiveable than the 2 wickets at this point in the innings.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
  • Options
    > @logical_song said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1134008889660325888?s=21
    >
    > Like when they refuse to vaccinate them?

Oh, well that is just great Esther. Does that include parents who hold vile bigoted views? Racists? Terrorist sympathisers? Let's just make our schools moral vacuums shall we? "Sorry I cant teach you about evolution because your parents believe in there being a flat earth". FFS we have the politicians we, or at least some, deserve.
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    > @Nigel_Foremain said:
    > > @logical_song said:
    > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1134008889660325888?s=21
    > >
    > > Like when they refuse to vaccinate them?
    >
    > Oh, well that is just great Esther. Does that include parents who hold vile bigoted views? Racists? Terrorist sympathisers? Let's just make our schools moral vacuums shall we? "Sorry I cant teach you about evolution because your parents believe in there being a flat earth". FFS we have the politicians we, or at least some, deserve.

I'm with Ester on this one. Important point. Who should decide what's best for our children. Parents will nearly always want whats best for their children. Politicians will impose their will on all children according to the political wind and be long gone when the phase, oops butter fingers raises it's head. It comes down to ownership and I side with the parent over the state unless obvious physical/mental abuse is occuring.

Parents won't always get it right and I understand the issue with vaccines and protecting certain people from crowd immunity. Although there have been a few dodgy ones since dropped (not talking about MMR which has been proven is be fairly safe).most off the older ones are good.

With new vaccines/drugs it comes down to trust in drug companies and how they spin the truth of drug trials (statins is a classic example). Their own desire of profit over morals has created many scandals over the years. Many new vaccines are less necessary than the core staple that have been around for decades. Can you blame the parents not wanting certain of these vaccines - especially as sometimes they are right to withhold.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

Cyclefree said:

I've just seen McVey's comments on LGBT+ education -and she can fuck right off with that sort of bigoted nonsense.

What has she said?
    Esther McVey has waded into the row on LGBT-inclusive education in Birmingham schools, as she sets out her manifesto for the Conservative party leadership.

The Tory MP is one of 11 MPs vying to become party leader and consequently Britain’s next prime minister.

Speaking to Sky News on Thursday morning (May 30), she said that teaching young children about LGBT relationships is a matter for parents.

“I believe parents know best for their children,” she said. “While they’re still children—and we’re talking primary school [age]—then parents need to have the final say.

“If parents want to take their young children out of certain forms of sex and relationship education then that is down to them.”

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/05/30/esther-mcvey-lgbt-lessons-birmingham-tory-leadership/
    Oh, FFS!
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > https://twitter.com/vickyford/status/1134027145737584642?s=21
    >
    > The EU have affirmed they will not change the backstop, the WA is it

One of the big unknowns in this is what the EU will do. They figured May would blink, played it tough, and were proven right. Obviously right now they are making out it's "my way or the highway" (the slightest sign of weakness now and they guarantee losing), but about the only way to find out if they mean it is to have a credible threat of no-deal. They may fold, they may not, but like Schrodinger's cat, the only way to find out is to open the box.
This discussion has been closed.