Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the TMay successor betting Gove replaces Raab as second fav

12346»

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Another top outing for Emma Barnett, who is emerging as the Andrew Neil replacement.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Parenthetically, some of you may remember this photograph from Goldfrapp in the Noughties:

I found out the other day that the naked model in the rabbit mask was Gwendoline Christie, who played Brienne of Tarth in GoT.

Yes, seriously

Captain Phasma in the new "Star Wars" "films".
    I know. I kept it simple for the muggles
    I saw Goldfrapp live in Hyde Park in 2006 when she was opening for Depeche Mode. This is she and their frontman Dave Gahan duetting last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSozvePvdek

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > I think Rory Stewart will have ended his aspirations with this admission on smoking opium. I don't think the Grass roots (No pun intended) will approve!
    > >
    > > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/29/rory-stewart-admits-smoking-opium-spell-iran-tells-telegraph/
    >
    > People usually often refer to politicians as Hawks or Doves, but I didn't think they meant THIS kind of thing.

FFS - who cares if he took drugs when he was younger.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited May 2019
    A Peston researcher has done a forecast of how a general election would look if people voted the same way as in the European elections

Brexit Party 414
    LDs 76
    Lab 67
    SNP 54
    Greens 10
    Tories 1
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    edited May 2019
    > @Floater said:
    > > @ah009 said:
    > > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > > I think Rory Stewart will have ended his aspirations with this admission on smoking opium. I don't think the Grass roots (No pun intended) will approve!
    > > >
    > > > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/29/rory-stewart-admits-smoking-opium-spell-iran-tells-telegraph/
    > >
    > > People usually often refer to politicians as Hawks or Doves, but I didn't think they meant THIS kind of thing.
    >
    > FFS - who cares if he took drugs when he was younger.
    >
    >

Con members probably will.

Rory The Tory is interesting but come on he's not going to be PM in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > A Peston researcher has done a forecast of how a general election would look if people voted the same way as in the European elections
    >
    > Brexit Party 414
    > LDs 76
    > Lab 67
    > SNP 54
    > Greens 10
    > Tories 1

Wonder who the one Tory would be?
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @Floater said:
    > > @ah009 said:
    > > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > > I think Rory Stewart will have ended his aspirations with this admission on smoking opium. I don't think the Grass roots (No pun intended) will approve!
    > > >
    > > > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/29/rory-stewart-admits-smoking-opium-spell-iran-tells-telegraph/
    > >
    > > People usually often refer to politicians as Hawks or Doves, but I didn't think they meant THIS kind of thing.
    >
    > FFS - who cares if he took drugs when he was younger.

It was just a joke. Hawk. Doves. Drug references. I don't give a shit that someone's tried something illicit. In fact, I have more respect for them than those who haven't.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,528
    Tory members didn't mind David Cameron all but admitting he did cocaine.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Another top outing for Emma Barnett, who is emerging as the Andrew Neil replacement.

Her R5L show is excellent. She asks penetrating questions without being aggressive or looking for an argument. Gives the impression of actually listening to the answers too. Hard to figure her political leanings.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > A Peston researcher has done a forecast of how a general election would look if people voted the same way as in the European elections
    > >
    > > Brexit Party 414
    > > LDs 76
    > > Lab 67
    > > SNP 54
    > > Greens 10
    > > Tories 1
    >
    > Wonder who the one Tory would be?

In a banter world it's Ken Clarke, or John Bercow if the system counts him.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > James Cleverly on now and says there can be no further delay to Brexit

Never realised it was that simple! Glad he's got it all in hand.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Floater said:
    > > > @ah009 said:
    > > > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > > > I think Rory Stewart will have ended his aspirations with this admission on smoking opium. I don't think the Grass roots (No pun intended) will approve!
    > > > >
    > > > > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/29/rory-stewart-admits-smoking-opium-spell-iran-tells-telegraph/
    > > >
    > > > People usually often refer to politicians as Hawks or Doves, but I didn't think they meant THIS kind of thing.
    > >
    > > FFS - who cares if he took drugs when he was younger.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Con members probably will.
    >
    > Rory The Tory is interesting but come on he's not going to be PM in a few weeks time.

This fuss is crazy.

The article actually says this, whilst walking in Iran:

" “I was invited into the house, the opium pipe was passed around at a wedding. I thought – this is going be a very strange afternoon to walk – but it may be that the family was so poor they put very little opium in the pipe.” "

So, he was being polite.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited May 2019
    Any politician who hasn’t done drugs or doesn’t drink should have their hard drives checked.
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @Floater said:
    > > > > @ah009 said:
    > > > > > @The_Taxman said:
    > > > > > I think Rory Stewart will have ended his aspirations with this admission on smoking opium. I don't think the Grass roots (No pun intended) will approve!
    > > > > >
    > > > > > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/29/rory-stewart-admits-smoking-opium-spell-iran-tells-telegraph/
    > > > >
    > > > > People usually often refer to politicians as Hawks or Doves, but I didn't think they meant THIS kind of thing.
    > > >
    > > > FFS - who cares if he took drugs when he was younger.
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > Con members probably will.
    > >
    > > Rory The Tory is interesting but come on he's not going to be PM in a few weeks time.
    >
    > This fuss is crazy.
    >
    > The article actually says this, whilst walking in Iran:
    >
    > " “I was invited into the house, the opium pipe was passed around at a wedding. I thought – this is going be a very strange afternoon to walk – but it may be that the family was so poor they put very little opium in the pipe.” "
    >
    > So, he was being polite.

Who doesn't like to have a puff at a wedding. :D
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Johnson is a weak favourite and always has been.

Can he really muster enough colleagues to be in the final list once the whittling down starts? I'm not sure he will.
  • Options
    > @TGOHF said:
    > Any politician who hasn’t done drugs or doesn’t drink should have their hard drives checked.

I bet Theresa's never done drugs and doesn't drink much,..
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > A Peston researcher has done a forecast of how a general election would look if people voted the same way as in the European elections
    > >
    > > Brexit Party 414
    > > LDs 76
    > > Lab 67
    > > SNP 54
    > > Greens 10
    > > Tories 1
    >

Imaginary. They only came second in one council area. Can't see how they would have won a seat anywhere.
    Edit. Assume it would be Bercow!!!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    edited May 2019
    Floater said:

FFS - who cares if he took drugs when he was younger.

Well me, but ir's the choice of drug that's so bizarre. This is a man who has walked thru Afghanistan, administered Iraq, smoked opium, and...is he actually a time-displaced 19th century colonial administrator? Why don't we press the golden buzzer on him and send him straight thru to the finals?
  • Options
    Leadsom back at 3rd fav.

Which drugs did she take I wonder...
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Full recout in Ireland South Euro constituency asked by Sinn Fein who has been eliminatde being 300 votes behind the Greens.
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @TGOHF said:
    > > Any politician who hasn’t done drugs or doesn’t drink should have their hard drives checked.
    >
    > I bet Theresa's never done drugs and doesn't drink much,..

Oh god, I just remember that "wheat fields" rubbish, and cringed in half again. What a disastrously weird person she is. Like, weird in all the wrong ways.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899

I saw Goldfrapp live in Hyde Park in 2006 when she was opening for Depeche Mode. This is she and their frontman Dave Gahan duetting last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSozvePvdek

:)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Any politician who hasn’t done drugs or doesn’t drink should have their hard drives checked.

So glad I didn't go into politics, as a good Muslim boy I have no vices.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @Jonathan said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > @Jonathan said:
    > > > > Matt Hancock. Oh dear. What a shame.
    > > >
    > > > Clueless
    > >
    > > It’s painful to watch.
    >
    > For those of us not watching do please summarise

Didn't catch that one, but he was seductively interviewed by someone on PM who trapped him several times in between chatting about his dog - "You're Secretary of State for Social Care. We haven't heard anything about it for years. What do you do all day?" "Er..."
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Leadsom back at 3rd fav.
    >
    > Which drugs did she take I wonder...

According to her cv she discovered penicillin, if that's any help.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

TGOHF said:

So glad I didn't go into politics, as a good Muslim boy I have no vices.
    Says the man who told me what Baker Street meant ..........
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Johnson is a weak favourite and always has been.

Can he really muster enough colleagues to be in the final list once the whittling down starts? I'm not sure he will.

The membership will explode if he is not in final two (four?)...
  • Options

Leadsom back at 3rd fav.

Which drugs did she take I wonder...

The only drugs Mother Leadsom took were when she was giving birth, because she's a mother, which not a lot of people know.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Is anyone going to the Oval tomorrow to watch England v South Africa?
  • Options
    I think Andrea Leadsom would be fond of drink every now and again... :D
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > >
    > > Brexit Party 414
    > > LDs 76
    > > Lab 67
    > > SNP 54
    > > Greens 10
    > > Tories 1
    >
    Looks like it could be Dumfrieshire, Clydesdale and Tweedale constituency where the Tories were neck and neck with the Brexit Party and not far behind the SNP at Dumfries and Galloway local authority level

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19QT5Hddz6W8ex4juQHAOv9tZdP5lWb8foJ4_atT8J-M/edit#gid=1116392851
  • Options
    Biden is 18 points clear of Bernie in new poll showing rest of the Democratic field lagging on single figures with less than a month until first primary debate

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7083989/Biden-18-points-ahead-Bernie-new-poll-rest-Democratic-field-lags-single-figures.html
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Biden is 18 points clear of Bernie in new poll showing rest of the Democratic field lagging on single figures with less than a month until first primary debate
    >
    > https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7083989/Biden-18-points-ahead-Bernie-new-poll-rest-Democratic-field-lags-single-figures.html

Biden is the only Democrat candidate who can win the Rust Belt IMO.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Johnson is a weak favourite and always has been.
    >
    >
    >
    > Can he really muster enough colleagues to be in the final list once the whittling down starts? I'm not sure he will.
    >
    > The membership will explode if he is not in final two (four?)...

Maybe, but maybe not
  • Options
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > Tory members didn't mind David Cameron all but admitting he did cocaine.

Yeah. But he had a GREAT idea for a referendum that would settle the European question and unite the Tory Party.
    I hope and trust he was completely off his tits at the time.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    > @dixiedean said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > A Peston researcher has done a forecast of how a general election would look if people voted the same way as in the European elections
    > > >
    > > > Brexit Party 414
    > > > LDs 76
    > > > Lab 67
    > > > SNP 54
    > > > Greens 10
    > > > Tories 1
    > >
    > > Wonder who the one Tory would be?
    >
    > Imaginary. They only came second in one council area. Can't see how they would have won a seat anywhere.
    > Edit. Assume it would be Bercow!!!
    >

Brexit Party would probably keep him on as Speaker. For the shitz'n'gigglez of watching him have to administer the passing of Brexit....
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Biden is 18 points clear of Bernie in new poll showing rest of the Democratic field lagging on single figures with less than a month until first primary debate
    >
    > https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7083989/Biden-18-points-ahead-Bernie-new-poll-rest-Democratic-field-lags-single-figures.html

Though Sanders was tied with Biden in an Iowa poll last week
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    > > Biden is 18 points clear of Bernie in new poll showing rest of the Democratic field lagging on single figures with less than a month until first primary debate
    > >
    > > https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7083989/Biden-18-points-ahead-Bernie-new-poll-rest-Democratic-field-lags-single-figures.html
    >
    > Biden is the only Democrat candidate who can win the Rust Belt IMO.

Yep. Unless someone can convince me there is another route to the WH, it has to be Biden this time. (sorry OGH).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

> @TheScreamingEagles said:

> Tory members didn't mind David Cameron all but admitting he did cocaine.

Yeah. But he had a GREAT idea for a referendum that would settle the European question and unite the Tory Party.

I hope and trust he was completely off his tits at the time.

It only makes sense if he was off his tits at the time frankly.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > A Peston researcher has done a forecast of how a general election would look if people voted the same way as in the European elections
    > > >
    > > > Brexit Party 414
    > > > LDs 76
    > > > Lab 67
    > > > SNP 54
    > > > Greens 10
    > > > Tories 1
    > >
    > > Wonder who the one Tory would be?
    > Looks like it could be Dumfrieshire, Clydesdale and Tweedale constituency where the Tories were neck and neck with the Brexit Party and not far behind the SNP at Dumfries and Galloway local authority level
    >
    > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19QT5Hddz6W8ex4juQHAOv9tZdP5lWb8foJ4_atT8J-M/edit#gid=1116392851

So Secretary of State for Scotland David Mundell could be the only Tory MP left (at least the Tories could be assured they would finally have an openly gay UK leader)
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @TGOHF said:
    > > > Any politician who hasn’t done drugs or doesn’t drink should have their hard drives checked.
    > >
    > > I bet Theresa's never done drugs and doesn't drink much,..
    >
    > Oh god, I just remember that "wheat fields" rubbish, and cringed in half again. What a disastrously weird person she is. Like, weird in all the wrong ways.

Theresa was/is a very strange person. I'm not sure there was a single day when she didn't look tense and like a rabbit in headlights.

I'm pleased it's nearly all over for her and she'll be able to retire to a hill on Snowdonia and a life of obscurity,,,

Wonder what HMQ thought to her?
  • Options
    The madness just gets worse in Labour:

https://twitter.com/mac123_m/status/1133100535723249666
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Bizarre choice of words from Ruth’s deputy.

https://twitter.com/scotlandtonight/status/1133857767708680192?s=21
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    One vague fantasy idea that I have is that Boris will become PM, deliver a No-Deal Brexit on 31st October, then messes up with some sort of blunder or scandal, then Rory becomes PM in November and leads the Conservative Party to a glorious landslide victory in 2022.
  • Options
    This is the future that Labour now want. Dissent against the Great Leader is an attack on all of us.

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1133762744266711040
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    > @rottenborough said:
    > The madness just gets worse in Labour:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/mac123_m/status/1133100535723249666

what an obvious binary choice...

Am sure it will happen just like that
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @ah009 said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > @TGOHF said:
    > > > > Any politician who hasn’t done drugs or doesn’t drink should have their hard drives checked.
    > > >
    > > > I bet Theresa's never done drugs and doesn't drink much,..
    > >
    > > Oh god, I just remember that "wheat fields" rubbish, and cringed in half again. What a disastrously weird person she is. Like, weird in all the wrong ways.
    >
    > Theresa was/is a very strange person. I'm not sure there was a single day when she didn't look tense and like a rabbit in headlights.
    >
    > I'm pleased it's nearly all over for her and she'll be able to retire to a hill on Snowdonia and a life of obscurity,,,
    >
    > Wonder what HMQ thought to her?

I'm sure a royal eyebrow was raised when she went to accept the post of PM in a yellow day-glo bum-flapper.....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    > @rottenborough said:
    > This is the future that Labour now want. Dissent against the Great Leader is an attack on all of us.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1133762744266711040

The Jesus Army has disbanded. The Jezza Army is becoming more cult-like with every passing tweet
  • Options
    Seems odd that we've heard almost nothing from Boris for the past week.

We've had Rory's walking holiday. Hunt making one blunder after another. Hancock being a moron as usual. Raab appearing here, there and everywhere. But nothing from Boris...

Makes me wonder if he's even going to stand in the end?
  • Options
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @ah009 said:
    > > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > > @TGOHF said:
    > > > > > Any politician who hasn’t done drugs or doesn’t drink should have their hard drives checked.
    > > > >
    > > > > I bet Theresa's never done drugs and doesn't drink much,..
    > > >
    > > > Oh god, I just remember that "wheat fields" rubbish, and cringed in half again. What a disastrously weird person she is. Like, weird in all the wrong ways.
    > >
    > > Theresa was/is a very strange person. I'm not sure there was a single day when she didn't look tense and like a rabbit in headlights.
    > >
    > > I'm pleased it's nearly all over for her and she'll be able to retire to a hill on Snowdonia and a life of obscurity,,,
    > >
    > > Wonder what HMQ thought to her?
    >
    > I'm sure a royal eyebrow was raised when she went to accept the post of PM in a yellow day-glo bum-flapper.....

Yeah that was an omen...
  • Options
    > @JohnLoony said:
    > One vague fantasy idea that I have is that Boris will become PM, deliver a No-Deal Brexit on 31st October, then messes up with some sort of blunder or scandal, then Rory becomes PM in November and leads the Conservative Party to a glorious landslide victory in 2022.

Rory Stewart is the top Remainer in the new ConHome Tory members next Tory leader poll on 6% ahead of Hunt on 4% but he still comes in 5th behind Leavers Boris, Raab, Gove and Baker in that order

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/05/our-survey-next-tory-leader-so-much-excitement-so-little-change-johnson-maintains-his-lead.html
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @JohnLoony said:
    > One vague fantasy idea that I have is that Boris will become PM, deliver a No-Deal Brexit on 31st October, then messes up with some sort of blunder or scandal, then Rory becomes PM in November and leads the Conservative Party to a glorious landslide victory in 2022.

Ian Dale had Steve "Nobber" Norris on his LBC show tonight and it reminded me that it's been a while since the Tories had a really good sex scandal... :D
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited May 2019

This is the future that Labour now want. Dissent against the Great Leader is an attack on all of us.

This recent unpersoning of Paul Mason by Bastani et al has driven them all crazy. Since then they've all been even more cult like and defensive. There's not even been any sort of "blairite coup" rumours that could explain it. Seems ever more likely that Corbyn will be undone by his own side tearing itself apart rather than being ousted by blairites or losing to the tories
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @JohnLoony said:
    > > One vague fantasy idea that I have is that Boris will become PM, deliver a No-Deal Brexit on 31st October, then messes up with some sort of blunder or scandal, then Rory becomes PM in November and leads the Conservative Party to a glorious landslide victory in 2022.
    >
    > Ian Dale had Steve "Nobber" Norris on his LBC show tonight and it reminded me that it's been a while since the Tories had a really good sex scandal... :D

The Tory ladies around here were not impressed apparently as his wife used to take weekly teas with them and he was effectively deselected before the 1997 election as MP for Epping Forest as a result
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @JohnLoony said:
    > > One vague fantasy idea that I have is that Boris will become PM, deliver a No-Deal Brexit on 31st October, then messes up with some sort of blunder or scandal, then Rory becomes PM in November and leads the Conservative Party to a glorious landslide victory in 2022.
    >
    > Ian Dale had Steve "Nobber" Norris on his LBC show tonight and it reminded me that it's been a while since the Tories had a really good sex scandal... :D

Bonking Boris will do the honours over the coming months!
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2019
    > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > Full recout in Ireland South Euro constituency asked by Sinn Fein who has been eliminatde being 300 votes behind the Greens.

That was after the 18th count!

The 200 polling staff must be so exhausted - they have already been working on the count for 4 days and now have to start all over again. There were 750,000 votes cast and the ballot paper is 2 foot long.

And whoever wins in the end out of Sinn Fein and the Greens will have to wait for Brexit to happen before they can take their seat in Brussels. Saying that at this rate the count might still be ongoing on Halloween.

They have also finally finished counting in Midlands north west - after only 13 counts.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > Seems odd that we've heard almost nothing from Boris for the past week.
    >
    > We've had Rory's walking holiday. Hunt making one blunder after another. Hancock being a moron as usual. Raab appearing here, there and everywhere. But nothing from Boris...
    >
    > Makes me wonder if he's even going to stand in the end?

Boris has already announced he will stand, he is keeping his head down and building up his MP and members' support and letting others make the gaffes sensibly and Hancock and Hunt have already obliged
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Ooh I knew that in 2017 I'd bet on Amber Rudd for next Tory leader (I think I can write that money off now...) but I've just noticed I also laid Boris at 7.6 - made sense at the time but I assume that I'm soon going to be donating £200 to someone's holiday fund.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    HYUFD said:
    Three is enough. We need someone who went to a grammar school in Grantham or similar.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > Seems odd that we've heard almost nothing from Boris for the past week.
    > >
    > > We've had Rory's walking holiday. Hunt making one blunder after another. Hancock being a moron as usual. Raab appearing here, there and everywhere. But nothing from Boris...
    > >
    > > Makes me wonder if he's even going to stand in the end?
    >
    > Boris has already announced he will stand, he is keeping his head down and building up his MP and members' support and letting others make the gaffes sensibly and Hancock and Hunt have already obliged

This is unlike Bozza. Lynton strategy? Let everyone else prove they are unfit for the role and win by making fewest errors?
    Good plan. But surely he has to appear somewhere somehow sometime?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    brendan16 said:

> @AndreaParma_82 said:

> Full recout in Ireland South Euro constituency asked by Sinn Fein who has been eliminatde being 300 votes behind the Greens.

That was after the 18th count!

The 200 polling staff must be so exhausted - they have already been working on the count for 4 days and now have to start all over again. There were 750,000 votes cast and the ballot paper is 2 foot long.

And whoever wins in the end out of Sinn Fein and the Greens will have to wait for Brexit to happen before they can take their seat in Brussels. Saying that at this rate the count might still be ongoing on Halloween.

They have also finally finished counting in Midlands north west - after only 13 counts.

Another reason to keep FPTP: the sanity of those counting.
  • Options
    > @ExiledInScotland said:
    > https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1133850024872488960
    >
    >
    >
    > Three is enough. We need someone who went to a grammar school in Grantham or similar.

1 of the remaining 7 has merely endorsed another Etonian

https://twitter.com/NSoames/status/1133832256706027521?s=20
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    How many of the candidates didn't go to a private school? (Like 93% of the population).
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    >
    > > Full recout in Ireland South Euro constituency asked by Sinn Fein who has been eliminatde being 300 votes behind the Greens.
    >
    >
    >
    > That was after the 18th count!
    >
    >
    >
    > The 200 polling staff must be so exhausted - they have already been working on the count for 4 days and now have to start all over again. There were 750,000 votes cast and the ballot paper is 2 foot long.
    >
    >
    >
    > And whoever wins in the end out of Sinn Fein and the Greens will have to wait for Brexit to happen before they can take their seat in Brussels. Saying that at this rate the count might still be ongoing on Halloween.
    >
    >
    >
    > They have also finally finished counting in Midlands north west - after only 13 counts.
    >
    > Another reason to keep FPTP: the sanity of those counting.

Wouldn't it be possible to scan the ballots papers into a computer and let it do all the work?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @AndyJS said:
    > How many of the candidates didn't go to a private school? (Like 93% of the population).

Raab, Javid, McVey, Leadsom, Harper I believe
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited May 2019
    Any thoughts on why Leadsom has so few declared supporters so far (excluding herself just two per Guido, three per Wiki) and how this fits with her odds having come in so much in last few days that she is now joint 3rd favourite at 8.2?
  • Options
    > @MikeL said:
    > Any thoughts on why Leadsom has so few declared supporters so far (two per Guido, three per Wiki) and how this fits with her odds having come in so much in last few days that she is now joint 3rd favourite at 8.2?

I don't understand it at all unless she has a lot of undeclared supporters amongst the roughly 50% of Tory MPs who haven't endorsed a candidate yet.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    > @YBarddCwsc said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > Suggested elsewhere, it should not be illegal to lie in a campaign, but it should bar you from holding public office again...
    >
    > ----
    >
    > That is what happens now.
    >
    > 1. You lie (see N. Clegg).
    >
    > 2. Your political opponents nail the lie.
    >
    > 3. Electoral disaster looms (see N. Clegg).
    >
    > 4. You lose your seat (see N. Clegg).
    >
    > In the case of B. Johnston, the Remainers should nail his lie by ensuring he loses his seat.
    >
    > The fifth stage is of course
    >
    > 5. Sell out and get a massive salary to lie professionally for others (see N. Clegg).
    >
    > I expect B. Johnston's trajectory will be the same as N. Clegg's.

Good summary.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited May 2019
    Deleted. It's 3am. I'll work it out later. Presumably an auto-correct error.
  • Options
    "Rory Stewart’s nerdiness means he is just the sort of oddball the British love

The Tory leadership hopeful gives impassioned speeches in the house about hedgehogs, and sees himself as the second coming of TE Lawrence. What’s not to like?"

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/may/29/rory-stewarts-nerdiness-means-he-is-just-the-sort-of-oddball-the-british-love
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited May 2019
    Interesting graph - Boris hasn't always been the favourite:

https://twitter.com/addadc/status/1133428126221033473
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > > > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > >
    > > > Full recout in Ireland South Euro constituency asked by Sinn Fein who has been eliminatde being 300 votes behind the Greens.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > That was after the 18th count!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > The 200 polling staff must be so exhausted - they have already been working on the count for 4 days and now have to start all over again. There were 750,000 votes cast and the ballot paper is 2 foot long.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > And whoever wins in the end out of Sinn Fein and the Greens will have to wait for Brexit to happen before they can take their seat in Brussels. Saying that at this rate the count might still be ongoing on Halloween.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > They have also finally finished counting in Midlands north west - after only 13 counts.
    > >
    > > Another reason to keep FPTP: the sanity of those counting.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be possible to scan the ballots papers into a computer and let it do all the work?

It is possible. It would be expensive to roll out the technology but not excessive. But in many countries the public and politicians are worry about accuracy/reliability and security of electronic counting systems.
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    >
    > > Full recout in Ireland South Euro constituency asked by Sinn Fein who has been eliminatde being 300 votes behind the Greens.
    >
    >
    >
    > That was after the 18th count!
    >
    >
    >
    > The 200 polling staff must be so exhausted - they have already been working on the count for 4 days and now have to start all over again. There were 750,000 votes cast and the ballot paper is 2 foot long.
    >
    >
    >
    > And whoever wins in the end out of Sinn Fein and the Greens will have to wait for Brexit to happen before they can take their seat in Brussels. Saying that at this rate the count might still be ongoing on Halloween.
    >
    >
    >
    > They have also finally finished counting in Midlands north west - after only 13 counts.
    >
    > Another reason to keep FPTP: the sanity of those counting.

Do you know that those polling staff are exhausted and becoming insane, or just presuming it?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    viewcode said:

Parenthetically, some of you may remember this photograph from Goldfrapp in the Noughties:

I found out the other day that the naked model in the rabbit mask was Gwendoline Christie, who played Brienne of Tarth in GoT.

Yes, seriously

Ooh La La!
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Johnson is a weak favourite and always has been.
    >
    >
    >
    > Can he really muster enough colleagues to be in the final list once the whittling down starts? I'm not sure he will.
    >
    > The membership will explode if he is not in final two (four?)...
    I presume you don't mean that literally, unfortunately.
  • Options

Pandering to the Child of Staff:

ttps://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1133882529335980032

Surprised they name ships after living people to be honest, especially an active politician. Pretty sure the U.K. doesn’t, except for Her Maj.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Bizarre choice of words from Ruth’s deputy.

There’s definitely a disturbing recent trend towards violent metaphors, politicians should really learn to tone down their language a little.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,731
    Sandpit said:

Surprised they name ships after living people to be honest, especially an active politician. Pretty sure the U.K. doesn’t, except for Her Maj.
    USS John McCain is named for his grandfather and father, both admirals.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,013
    Sandpit said:

It's named after McCain's father who was an admiral and commanded the USS Ranger carrier group in WW2.
  • Options
    Ah okay, fair enough @Fox and @Dura_Ace
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    So I'm still waiting for Newcastle United to be bought. Any day now! :s
This discussion has been closed.