Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final poll puts BRX on 35% with the LDs in second place 5%

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @DavidL said:
    > > @Floater said:
    > > > @StuartDickson said:
    > > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1131530737805602816
    > > >
    > > > Gotta love these Union Dividends.
    > >
    > > IF you ever leave - well Scotland, you have already left if I recall?
    > >
    > > Can't wait to see how your new currency gets on.
    > >
    > > Oh wait, you will be in the Euro won't you.
    >
    > Sterling is currently down 1/10th of 1 cent against the Euro today.

Oh the horror!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1131483749726793728?s=20
    > >
    > > It always seems a bit off when unelected peers give advice on how to vote.
    > >
    > > Say what you like about Jeremy Corbyn or Theresa May but at least they got themselves elected.
    >
    > I'm not sure that's a line I'd like to push too hard. Conservative selection processes for a long time worked on the basis that if you went to a good school, read (preferably PPE) at Oxbridge and then arrived for the meeting in a helicopter you were a shoo-in. That's a slight exaggeration but not entirely. I grew up in a household which was close to the action and this was pretty much the sum of it.
    >
    > There are, likewise, a significant number of solid and safe Labour seats. Get the mechanics of support right and you, almost, had a job for life.
    >
    > The point here is that a certain % of MPs, at least up until Brexit, didn't have to do an awful lot in life before they landed themselves a fairly plum job.
    >
    > Contrast that with a guy who worked his way up from nothing, flogging bits and pieces out the back of a van, into a multi-national entrepreneur. Whatever you think of Alan Sugar, he has been a huge success story overall.
    >
    > My viewpoint post the Brexit fiasco is that I'd like to hear a lot less from MPs and a lot more from people who have made their way in life outside the House of Commons.

Hey, I'm a fan of Lord Sugar, have most if not all of his books, and think Jeremy Hunt is a fool and a lightweight for forcing the BBC to postpone the 2010 Apprentice because Sugar was a mate of Gordon Brown's (and since then, of course, Karren Brady has become a Conservative peer). But instinctively, it feels wrong.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I probably pay more attention to politics than is healthy, let alone normal and I cannot recall a single interview, comment, article or, well, anything from him. It would be a slight overstatement to say that I have never heard of him but only slight.

I thought Mel was a woman...
    Yes, but is s/he a mother?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    > @Nigel_Foremain said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > > I see there are reports of some old bloke acting as a teller getting attacked with a milkshake now. Not even a bloody politician.
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1131513167975256064
    >
    > It is disgraceful, but let us get this straight. As a member of the Brexit Party he is not advocating honouring the result of the referendum. He wants a much more extreme version of that result.

You tell Piers Morgan that! :D
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited May 2019
    > @RobD said:
    > > @Nigel_Foremain said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1131415869605777409?s=20
    > >
    > > Hilarious how some idiots think voting for a party that is fascist in all but name is a vote for democracy.
    >
    > Brexit party is a fascist party?

If Katie Hopkins isn't voting UKIP then they won't hit 3%. Just sold at 0.2 on SPIN...

SouthEast regional quota likely to be 7% or so ?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    > @Nigel_Foremain said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > I see there are reports of some old bloke acting as a teller getting attacked with a milkshake now. Not even a bloody politician.
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1131513167975256064
    >
    > It is disgraceful, but let us get this straight. As a member of the Brexit Party he is not advocating honouring the result of the referendum. He wants a much more extreme version of that result.

Confusing . Surely you can’t have people manning polling stations who have a party logo.

I think the whole things been staged to dupe the plebs . Fake news !!!
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Big vote for the right anticipated by the Guardian...
    >
    > https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/url-european-elections-fake-news-facebook-vote-brexit-a8925896.html

You do know the Independent is, erm, independent of the Guardian? But yes, these campaigns, Russian or not, will destroy democracy if we are not careful.

Though while Labour and Conservative parties make extensive use of social media campaigning, I doubt we'll see too much action.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    kamski said:

> @HYUFD said:

> If Mori is true would be the joint worst voteshare for Labour in a national election since the introduction of universal suffrage in 1918 and the worst voteshare for the Tory Party in its history.

>

> The Brexit Party would also win with the biggest voteshare for a third party since 1918 too

Universal suffrage introduced in the UK in 1928

1970, surely?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    edited May 2019
    Mel Stride was previously the treasury minister responsible for HMRC. In general he was doing a good job, but recently getting a fair bit of flack over the disguised remuneration loans issue.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @dixiedean said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @dixiedean I'm not sure the Tories would get 195 seats if that was the real result. Labour's structure is set up beautifully for resilience below about seat no 200 or so though.
    >
    > Yes indeed. Just put the IPSOS poll in the header into Baxter, due to boredom. Brexit get a 290 seat majority, but, remarkably, Corbyn is LOTO with 15% of the vote, but 75 seats! Con get 0!
    > Not saying that is at all likely in any way. Merely evidence how Labour benefit over the Tories with similar votes the lower the vote share goes.
    >

Last election I thought May might make good inroads into the M62 band or some such, but you can write them off up there now I think.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    > @nico67 said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > > > I see there are reports of some old bloke acting as a teller getting attacked with a milkshake now. Not even a bloody politician.
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1131513167975256064
    > >
    > > It is disgraceful, but let us get this straight. As a member of the Brexit Party he is not advocating honouring the result of the referendum. He wants a much more extreme version of that result.
    >
    > Confusing . Surely you can’t have people manning polling stations who have a party logo.
    >
    > I think the whole things been staged to dupe the plebs . Fake news !!!

You often have members of parties, agents and candidates outside polling stations helping to get the vote out, scrutinizing the process, etc...
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    > @nico67 said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > I see there are reports of some old bloke acting as a teller getting attacked with a milkshake now. Not even a bloody politician.
    > > >
    > >
    > > It is disgraceful, but let us get this straight. As a member of the Brexit Party he is not advocating honouring the result of the referendum. He wants a much more extreme version of that result.
    >
    > Confusing . Surely you can’t have people manning polling stations who have a party logo.
    >

I could explain this quandry, but that would be telling
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited May 2019

MikeL said:

Important question facing Johnson / Raab / Leadsom / any leadership contender from that side of Brexit debate:

I'm sure they'll say they'll renegotiate with the EU but will they stick to 31 October as Exit Date come what may?

We don't yet know leadership election timetable but it's likely that they won't become PM till late July at the earliest and possibly later. Even if it's late July as far as Parliament is concerned that only leaves a very short sitting in early Sept + the month of Oct.

So will they cast iron promise to renegotiate and put all legislation through Parliament by 31 Oct or will they let Exit Date slip?

This looks like a very big decision that could swing the election - because if anyone says they may let date slip then worry will be it'll be back to a repeat of the last few months. But if they cast iron promise 31 Oct then they are going to have very little time.

Finally if they go for 31 Oct and get blocked in Parliament in late Oct then we are looking at a late Nov / early Dec GE which would be completely unprecedented in modern times.

All good points. Amongst all the excitement, we shouldn't lose track of the fact that ditching Theresa May makes not a ha'porth of difference to the fundamental problem; it just wastes more time.

What's most puzzling is that this must be completely obvious to her many wannabe successors. Why does any of them want a job which is overwhelmingly likely to end in ignominious failure within a few months?
    It makes one wonder what the best course of action might be.

I guess someone might be brave and call an immediate GE - but if take office at end of July then earliest GE would only be mid Oct as would have to wait for Commons to return in early Sept to vote for it.

But that then leaves about two weeks to do Brexit post GE!

Only other option would be to recall Parliament early Aug, and vote for a GE which would then take place mid Sept which would give about six weeks until 31 Oct.

I'm surprised nobody appears to have even thought about this - it's very, very hard to see how anyone is going to get this done.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    > > If Mori is true would be the joint worst voteshare for Labour in a national election since the introduction of universal suffrage in 1918 and the worst voteshare for the Tory Party in its history.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > The Brexit Party would also win with the biggest voteshare for a third party since 1918 too
    >
    >
    >
    > Universal suffrage introduced in the UK in 1928
    >
    > 1970, surely?

No.

It's either 1928, or if you think a minimum age limit matters then we still don't have universal suffrage.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    > @nico67 said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > >
    > >
    >
    >

He isn't manning a polling station, he's outside. Very common to have party tellers there.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Jonathan said:

My hunch is that Labour will do worse than the poll. Would not be surprised if the Tories beat Labour.

After the last few days and even if the polls were well out? That would be genuine humiliation.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    nico67 said:

Confusing . Surely you can’t have people manning polling stations who have a party logo.

Incorrect

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/198718/EU-Ref-Tellers-guidance.pdf
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/CapX/status/1131540279683624961

It'll get worse before it gets worse.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > Big vote for the right anticipated by the Guardian...
    > >
    > > https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/url-european-elections-fake-news-facebook-vote-brexit-a8925896.html
    >
    > You do know the Independent is, erm, independent of the Guardian? But yes, these campaigns, Russian or not, will destroy democracy if we are not careful.
    >
    > Though while Labour and Conservative parties make extensive use of social media campaigning, I doubt we'll see too much action.

You're not going to put the genie back in the bottle.
  • Options
    RobD said:

> @nico67 said:

> > > @GIN1138 said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

He isn't manning a polling station, he's outside. Very common to have party tellers there.
    Aldershot, going to be a big Brexit vote there I think.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Important question facing Johnson / Raab / Leadsom / any leadership contender from that side of Brexit debate:

I'm sure they'll say they'll renegotiate with the EU but will they stick to 31 October as Exit Date come what may?

We don't yet know leadership election timetable but it's likely that they won't become PM till late July at the earliest and possibly later. Even if it's late July as far as Parliament is concerned that only leaves a very short sitting in early Sept + the month of Oct.

So will they cast iron promise to renegotiate and put all legislation through Parliament by 31 Oct or will they let Exit Date slip?

This looks like a very big decision that could swing the election - because if anyone says they may let date slip then worry will be it'll be back to a repeat of the last few months. But if they cast iron promise 31 Oct then they are going to have very little time.

Finally if they go for 31 Oct and get blocked in Parliament in late Oct then we are looking at a late Nov / early Dec GE which would be completely unprecedented in modern times.

All good points. Amongst all the excitement, we shouldn't lose track of the fact that ditching Theresa May makes not a ha'porth of difference to the fundamental problem; it just wastes more time.

What's most puzzling is that this must be completely obvious to her many wannabe successors. Why does any of them want a job which is overwhelmingly likely to end in ignominious failure within a few months?
    They didn’t, not now, hence why she has held out this long. But with electoral hammering about to happen and May offering up options the party will riot over, especially as half want to capitulate to the Brexit party already, they don’t have a choice - they have to act now.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    > @Mysticrose said:

> The point here is that a certain % of MPs, at least up until Brexit, didn't have to do an awful lot in life before they landed themselves a fairly plum job.
    >
    > Contrast that with a guy who worked his way up from nothing, flogging bits and pieces out the back of a van, into a multi-national entrepreneur. Whatever you think of Alan Sugar, he has been a huge success story overall.
    >
    > My viewpoint post the Brexit fiasco is that I'd like to hear a lot less from MPs and a lot more from people who have made their way in life outside the House of Commons.

Disagree. The idea that most MPs (I know, you said "a certain %", but I don't think you meant 18%) didn't have "a proper job" before they were elected is simply false. The actual figure of MPs who were political organisers before election is 107 out of 626 (Google "Social background of MPs" for details). Nor is it true that merely knowing how the system works makes it easy to get selected.

Nor IMO is it true that someone who has successfully worked his way up to being a successful entrepreneur thereby acquires special insight into what should be done about Brexit. Isn't that part of the discredited "we've heard enough from experts" theme? It's not individual MPs' fault that there happens to a divided Parliament reflecting a divided country, and if they were all replaced by Sugar personalities that wouldn't change. Most MPs are wrestling with the issue, just like the rest of us but at least with more information.
  • Options
    RobD said:

> @Nigel_Foremain said:

> > @HYUFD said:

> >

>

> Hilarious how some idiots think voting for a party that is fascist in all but name is a vote for democracy.

Brexit party is a fascist party?
    Apparently. I’ve not seen why, since people don’t usually bother to explain.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

> @Mysticrose said:

> > @Richard_Tyndall said:

> > So the real battles seem to be:

> > Will the LDs beat Labour?

> > Will the Greens beat the Tories?

> > Will UKIP beat CHUK (Meaningless I know but fun never the less)?

>

> > Will BP+UKIP (38% in this poll) beat LD+Green+CHUK+SNP+PC (33% excluding SNP and PC in this poll)?

>

> Yes some fun spots there. Since BP, LD, UKIP, GREEN and CHUK are all national parties that's rather arbitrary (naughty) to exclude SNP and PC, however? They are staunchly Remain parties.

No I have not excluded them at all. That is why I included them in the Remain list.

But I don't have the figures for their current polling hence the reason I can't include them in the running total so gave Remain 33% plus whatever they get.

I've already asked earlier. Shouldn't we have:

BXP & UKIP & assorted independents[1] v LD/CHUK/GRN/SNP/PC/UKEUP & assorted independents

[1] Tommy Robinson is standing in North West region. Hard not to argue he isn't hardcore leaver.

Where do Con *really* stand on this issue? Could we say some sort of softish Leave?
    Where do Labour stand (no idea)? I doubt Labour know where they stand.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > Bliar Blair got a majority in 2005 on 35%...
    >
    > EDIT: Oops :)

36% in GB.
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > My hunch is that Labour will do worse than the poll. Would not be surprised if the Tories beat Labour.
    >
    > After the last few days and even if the polls were well out? That would be genuine humiliation.

I know we shouldn’t read too much into crossbreaks but the Ipsos Mori for London is a horror show for Labour .

Lib Dems 33 Labour 11.

It would be hilarious if the Tories beat Labour , and this is me a normal Labour voter saying this .

I want complete and total humiliation for Labour with their spin machine unable to cope .

A mass exodus of Labour Remainers is the only way to force Corbyn off the fence .
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

> @nico67 said:

> > > @GIN1138 said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

Aldershot, going to be a big Brexit vote there I think.
    Yuge, some might say. :D
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    May in the middle of a mini re-shuffle now with Jesse Norman moving too.

Given the broader context, hard to view this as anything other than self-indulgent CV padding from all involved.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

> @Nigel_Foremain said:

> > @HYUFD said:

> >

>

> Hilarious how some idiots think voting for a party that is fascist in all but name is a vote for democracy.

Brexit party is a fascist party?
    Apparently. I’ve not seen why, since people don’t usually bother to explain.
    Perhaps it means that it’s a party you disagree with?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > > @Ishmael_Z said:
    > > 1.
    > >
    > > Good, I have just voted Lib Dem as a vote for a 2nd referendum (am I allowed to say how I voted on here?) so if it elevates them above Lab that's a bonus.
    >
    > Interesting question. Guardian says they don't want people commenting with who they voted for on their live blog because they're not allowed to publish that information. Does that apply to pb too?

I'm guessing that as the Guardian is a registered newspaper, their rules are different from those of a blog.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2019
    MikeL said:

It makes one wonder what the best course of action might be.

I guess someone might be brave and call an immediate GE - but if take office at end of July then earliest GE would only be mid Oct as would have to wait for Commons to return in early Sept to vote for it.

But that then leaves about two weeks to do Brexit post GE!

Only other option would be to recall Parliament early Aug, and vote for a GE which would then take place mid Sept which would give about six weeks until 31 Oct.

I'm surprised nobody appears to have even thought about this - it's very, very hard to see how anyone is going to get this done.

One possible route would be to request a 6-month extension and then call a GE. That would seem a rational course, but it would be a hell of a gamble. Not only would it rely on the EU playing ball (likely, but not 100% certain), it would also mean going to the polls shortly after the Conservative Party has been wiped out in a national election. That would be, err, brave. And of course there's no guarantee that the new parliament would be any less irresolute than the current one, even in an optimistic scenario. Meanwhile, Farage would be bleating 'Traitor!' at the new PM for missing the October 31st deadline, and there would still be the problem of what to put in any manifesto.

Boris, Andrea, Jeremy, Sajid etc, if you're reading this: Do you know what you are letting yourselves in for?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    >
    > > The point here is that a certain % of MPs, at least up until Brexit, didn't have to do an awful lot in life before they landed themselves a fairly plum job.
    > >
    > > Contrast that with a guy who worked his way up from nothing, flogging bits and pieces out the back of a van, into a multi-national entrepreneur. Whatever you think of Alan Sugar, he has been a huge success story overall.
    > >
    > > My viewpoint post the Brexit fiasco is that I'd like to hear a lot less from MPs and a lot more from people who have made their way in life outside the House of Commons.
    >
    > Disagree. The idea that most MPs (I know, you said "a certain %", but I don't think you meant 18%) didn't have "a proper job" before they were elected is simply false. The actual figure of MPs who were political organisers before election is 107 out of 626 (Google "Social background of MPs" for details). Nor is it true that merely knowing how the system works makes it easy to get selected.
    >
    > Nor IMO is it true that someone who has successfully worked his way up to being a successful entrepreneur thereby acquires special insight into what should be done about Brexit. Isn't that part of the discredited "we've heard enough from experts" theme? It's not individual MPs' fault that there happens to a divided Parliament reflecting a divided country, and if they were all replaced by Sugar personalities that wouldn't change. Most MPs are wrestling with the issue, just like the rest of us but at least with more information.
    >

So just under a 6th of the Commons were 'political organisers'. Thats pretty high.

I'm afraid I'm with @Mysticrose
  • Options
    > @MikeL said:
    > Important question facing Johnson / Raab / Leadsom / any leadership contender from that side of Brexit debate:
    >
    > I'm sure they'll say they'll renegotiate with the EU but will they stick to 31 October as Exit Date come what may?
    >
    > We don't yet know leadership election timetable but it's likely that they won't become PM till late July at the earliest and possibly later. Even if it's late July as far as Parliament is concerned that only leaves a very short sitting in early Sept + the month of Oct.
    >
    > So will they cast iron promise to renegotiate and put all legislation through Parliament by 31 Oct or will they let Exit Date slip?
    >
    > This looks like a very big decision that could swing the election - because if anyone says they may let date slip then worry will be it'll be back to a repeat of the last few months. But if they cast iron promise 31 Oct then they are going to have very little time.
    >
    > Finally if they go for 31 Oct and get blocked in Parliament in late Oct then we are looking at a late Nov / early Dec GE which would be completely unprecedented in modern times.

We did have November elections in 1922 and 1935. December elections were held in 1910, 1918 and 1923.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,660
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    nico67 said:

> @Nigel_Foremain said:

> > @GIN1138 said:

> >

> >

>

He was allegedly telling, supposedly collecting numbers so that when knocking up you don’t waste time. I can’t believe TBP have canvassing returns in enough depth to do this, now if they somehow had the UKIP data..... but then that would breach the data protection laws.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    > @Nigelb said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > https://twitter.com/jarvisdupont/status/1131508759124160515
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/jarvisdupont/status/1131509750938722304
    >
    > This is, presumably, satire ?
    > Albeit of a debased kind.
    >
    >

Yes it is. The bastard love child of Titania McGrath and Godfrey Elfwick, or something like that,
  • Options

> @Nigelb said:

> > @isam said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> This is, presumably, satire ?

> Albeit of a debased kind.

>

>

Yes it is. The bastard love child of Titania McGrath and Godfrey Elfwick, or something like that,
    https://twitter.com/titaniamcgrath/status/1131507963892576256?s=21
  • Options
    justin124 said:

> @MikeL said:

> Important question facing Johnson / Raab / Leadsom / any leadership contender from that side of Brexit debate:

>

> I'm sure they'll say they'll renegotiate with the EU but will they stick to 31 October as Exit Date come what may?

>

> We don't yet know leadership election timetable but it's likely that they won't become PM till late July at the earliest and possibly later. Even if it's late July as far as Parliament is concerned that only leaves a very short sitting in early Sept + the month of Oct.

>

> So will they cast iron promise to renegotiate and put all legislation through Parliament by 31 Oct or will they let Exit Date slip?

>

> This looks like a very big decision that could swing the election - because if anyone says they may let date slip then worry will be it'll be back to a repeat of the last few months. But if they cast iron promise 31 Oct then they are going to have very little time.

>

> Finally if they go for 31 Oct and get blocked in Parliament in late Oct then we are looking at a late Nov / early Dec GE which would be completely unprecedented in modern times.

We did have November elections in 1922 and 1935. December elections were held in 1910, 1918 and 1923.

... unprecedented in modern times!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    > @RobD said:
    > > @nico67 said:
    >
    > > > @Nigel_Foremain said:
    >
    > > > > @GIN1138 said:
    >
    > > > > > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    >
    > > > > > I see there are reports of some old bloke acting as a teller getting attacked with a milkshake now. Not even a bloody politician.
    >
    > > > >
    >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1131513167975256064
    >
    >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > > It is disgraceful, but let us get this straight. As a member of the Brexit Party he is not advocating honouring the result of the referendum. He wants a much more extreme version of that result.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Confusing . Surely you can’t have people manning polling stations who have a party logo.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I think the whole things been staged to dupe the plebs . Fake news !!!
    >
    >
    >
    > He isn't manning a polling station, he's outside. Very common to have party tellers there.
    >
    > Aldershot, going to be a big Brexit vote there I think.
    >
    > Yuge, some might say. :D

Piers Morgan says he was manning 'a Brexit Party Polling Station'.
    What's one of those?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898
    > @maaarsh said:
    > May in the middle of a mini re-shuffle now with Jesse Norman moving too.
    >
    > Given the broader context, hard to view this as anything other than self-indulgent CV padding from all involved.

You can't blame the shuffled. The re-shuffler is fiddling while Whitehall burns
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nico67 said:

> @Nigel_Foremain said:

> > @GIN1138 said:

> >

> >

>

He was allegedly telling, supposedly collecting numbers so that when knocking up you don’t waste time. I can’t believe TBP have canvassing returns in enough depth to do this, now if they somehow had the UKIP data..... but then that would breach the data protection laws.
    The electoral commission are dropping everything and heading his way...
  • Options
    RobD said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

> @Nigel_Foremain said:

> > @GIN1138 said:

> >

> >

>

The electoral commission are dropping everything and heading his way...
    LOCK HIM UP!!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    > @RobD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1131415869605777409?s=20
    > >
    > > Hilarious how some idiots think voting for a party that is fascist in all but name is a vote for democracy.
    >
    > Brexit party is a fascist party?

Nigel gives the impression he thinks any party which isn't fanatically Europhile is by definition fascist.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Meanwhile, I see that President Trump has pulled off a brilliant manoeuvre to combat climate change by trashing the world economy, especially targeting the USA and China as the worst polluters. What a guy!
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @MikeL said:
    >
    > > Important question facing Johnson / Raab / Leadsom / any leadership contender from that side of Brexit debate:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I'm sure they'll say they'll renegotiate with the EU but will they stick to 31 October as Exit Date come what may?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > We don't yet know leadership election timetable but it's likely that they won't become PM till late July at the earliest and possibly later. Even if it's late July as far as Parliament is concerned that only leaves a very short sitting in early Sept + the month of Oct.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > So will they cast iron promise to renegotiate and put all legislation through Parliament by 31 Oct or will they let Exit Date slip?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > This looks like a very big decision that could swing the election - because if anyone says they may let date slip then worry will be it'll be back to a repeat of the last few months. But if they cast iron promise 31 Oct then they are going to have very little time.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Finally if they go for 31 Oct and get blocked in Parliament in late Oct then we are looking at a late Nov / early Dec GE which would be completely unprecedented in modern times.
    >
    >
    >
    > We did have November elections in 1922 and 1935. December elections were held in 1910, 1918 and 1923.
    >
    > ... unprecedented in modern times!

Many people do associate 1935 with modern times!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    > @maaarsh said:
    >
    ---------

Jesse Norman? It isn't over until the fat lady sings.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    justin124 said:

> @RobD said:

> > @MikeL said:

>

> > Important question facing Johnson / Raab / Leadsom / any leadership contender from that side of Brexit debate:

>

> >

>

> > I'm sure they'll say they'll renegotiate with the EU but will they stick to 31 October as Exit Date come what may?

>

> >

>

> > We don't yet know leadership election timetable but it's likely that they won't become PM till late July at the earliest and possibly later. Even if it's late July as far as Parliament is concerned that only leaves a very short sitting in early Sept + the month of Oct.

>

> >

>

> > So will they cast iron promise to renegotiate and put all legislation through Parliament by 31 Oct or will they let Exit Date slip?

>

> >

>

> > This looks like a very big decision that could swing the election - because if anyone says they may let date slip then worry will be it'll be back to a repeat of the last few months. But if they cast iron promise 31 Oct then they are going to have very little time.

>

> >

>

> > Finally if they go for 31 Oct and get blocked in Parliament in late Oct then we are looking at a late Nov / early Dec GE which would be completely unprecedented in modern times.

>

>

>

> We did have November elections in 1922 and 1935. December elections were held in 1910, 1918 and 1923.

>

> ... unprecedented in modern times!

Many people do associate 1935 with modern times!

Dozens, I’m sure.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Not one for anecdotal stuff but didn’t want to feel left out so here goes ! heard from a friend who lives in a pensioner hot spot on the south coast . She was shocked at the number of younger artsy looking people that were voting at her polling station .
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    > @Carolus_Rex said:
    > > @Nigelb said:
    > > > @isam said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/jarvisdupont/status/1131508759124160515
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/jarvisdupont/status/1131509750938722304
    > >
    > > This is, presumably, satire ?
    > > Albeit of a debased kind.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Yes it is. The bastard love child of Titania McGrath and Godfrey Elfwick, or something like that,

It is extremely clever. All the more so because it seems to catch out both those it is satirising - at least some of whom don't seem to realise it is fake - and those who take offence because they think it is a genuine attack on the right.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I voted at 1.30 . There appeared to be a steady flow and I passed a couple of voters heading in the direction of the polling station as I walked away. The polling staff advised that turnout was similar to the Local Elections three weeks ago - if anything a shade higher.This is in a strong Labour polling district where the Greens usually are second.
    On my walk home, I passed another polling station from the same ward - electorally more mixed between Labour and the Tories - so I popped in to ask about turnout. I was told again that turnout was similar to 2nd May - though much lighter than for a GE or the Referendum.
    Overall makes me think turnout more likely to be circa 40% than 30%.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited May 2019
    Sometimes 'telling' is just an excuse to show the flag. It has an old and honourable tradition. I remember doing it for a mate of mine in the late nineteen-eighties who was standing for a council seat when I lived in Bedfordshire. I was also his agent, despite being a Labour voter. I did switch my allegiance for that election, but he lost heavily.

There is a happy ending. When I left, he managed to persuade someone competent to do the job, and he ended up Mayor.

Edit: he was standing for the LDs.

It wasn't OGH.
  • Options
    > @StuartDickson said:
    > UK’s unpopularity even worse than reported.
    >
    > https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/23/eurovision-uk-dire-points-haul-revised-downwards-michael-rice

You know hate is a very negative and corrosive thing don't you.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    ;

> Yes it is. The bastard love child of Titania McGrath and Godfrey Elfwick, or something like that,

It is extremely clever. All the more so because it seems to catch out both those it is satirising - at least some of whom don't seem to realise it is fake - and those who take offence because they think it is a genuine attack on the right.
    Yes they get abuse from all angles, I love it 🤣
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    dixiedean said:

> @Pulpstar said:

> Electoral calculus @ 24% each

>

> Lab 237, Con 195, Brexit 80, Lib Dem 62

>

>

Crumbs. That's even more deadlocked than right now.

Hyfud had it right. The voters are trolling the politicians.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    > @Floater said:
    > > @StuartDickson said:
    > > UK’s unpopularity even worse than reported.
    > >
    > > https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/23/eurovision-uk-dire-points-haul-revised-downwards-michael-rice
    >
    > You know hate is a very negative and corrosive thing don't you.
    >
    >

And we used to do so so well in the Eurovision before Brexit....
  • Options
    > @Recidivist said:
    >
    > Hyfud had it right. The voters are trolling the politicians.
    ------

Populism is perhaps best understood as a form of organised trolling. To a lot of people the main selling point of candidates like Trump is that mainstream politicians hate them.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    One aggregate to look out for that hasn't been much mentioned is CON+TBP+UKP. In 2014 this was 51.4% and the Mori poll puts it at 47%, Opinium at the top end at 52% and Kantar at the bottom end at 44%.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2019
    When I voted in my tiny polling station at 9am. 12 others had already voted, that's a bit of a rush IMHO !!

Lets hope they all voted LD and gave the Govt a bloody nose.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    > @OblitusSumMe said:
    > One aggregate to look out for that hasn't been much mentioned is CON+TBP+UKP. In 2014 this was 51.4% and the Mori poll puts it at 47%, Opinium at the top end at 52% and Kantar at the bottom end at 44%.

Not sure why that would be relevant? BXP has clearly picked up a lot of Labour leavers, and the Cons have lost to the various remain parties.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    > @justin124 said:
    > I voted at 1.30 . There appeared to be a steady flow and I passed a couple of voters heading in the direction of the polling station as I walked away. The polling staff advised that turnout was similar to the Local Elections three weeks ago - if anything a shade higher.This is in a strong Labour polling district where the Greens usually are second.
    > On my walk home, I passed another polling station from the same ward - electorally more mixed between Labour and the Tories - so I popped in to ask about turnout. I was told again that turnout was similar to 2nd May - though much lighter than for a GE or the Referendum.
    > Overall makes me think turnout more likely to be circa 40% than 30%.

I reckon 40-50%
  • Options

One aggregate to look out for that hasn't been much mentioned is CON+TBP+UKP. In 2014 this was 51.4% and the Mori poll puts it at 47%, Opinium at the top end at 52% and Kantar at the bottom end at 44%.

Hmmm

Conservatives were Pro EU then, as were Labour. Now that they both officially back a deal to leave of some kind, despite many MPs backing a second ref, can you really draw anything from the big 2 vote share?
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Posts: 63
    > @nico67 said:
    > Not one for anecdotal stuff but didn’t want to feel left out so here goes ! heard from a friend who lives in a pensioner hot spot on the south coast . She was shocked at the number of younger artsy looking people that were voting at her polling station .

I agree. Not helpful. You need to ask an officer. Or a party's head office. That's hard to do.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

> @rottenborough said:

>

I probably pay more attention to politics than is healthy, let alone normal and I cannot recall a single interview, comment, article or, well, anything from him. It would be a slight overstatement to say that I have never heard of him but only slight.
    Should at least please @ydoethur - I believe he ran for OUCA president under the slogan "step forward with Mel Stride"...
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Posts: 63
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > > > @Nigel_Foremain said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1131415869605777409?s=20
    > > >
    > > > Hilarious how some idiots think voting for a party that is fascist in all but name is a vote for democracy.
    > >
    > > Brexit party is a fascist party?
    >
    > Nigel gives the impression he thinks any party which isn't fanatically Europhile is by definition fascist.

fascists were socailists/ German Socilaists. Mussolini, a Socialist.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    >
    > Conservatives were Pro EU then....

Not really. They were promising a referendum on leaving, and spent most of their time telling people how rubbish the EU was.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @OblitusSumMe said:
    > > One aggregate to look out for that hasn't been much mentioned is CON+TBP+UKP. In 2014 this was 51.4% and the Mori poll puts it at 47%, Opinium at the top end at 52% and Kantar at the bottom end at 44%.
    >
    > Not sure why that would be relevant? BXP has clearly picked up a lot of Labour leavers, and the Cons have lost to the various remain parties.

In 2014 Labour lost votes to UKIP too. I thought it was interesting because the 2014 figure is eerily close to the referendum result and there's quite wide variation between the polls.

My guess at this moment is that the most accurate polls will be the ones with this aggregate least changed compared to 2014.
  • Options

> @Carolus_Rex said:

> > @Nigelb said:

> > > @isam said:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > This is, presumably, satire ?

> > Albeit of a debased kind.

> >

> >

>

It is extremely clever...
    In the same way Trump is a genius, and Johnson a shining wit ?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    nico67 said:

> @Nigel_Foremain said:

> > @GIN1138 said:

> >

> >

>

Who knows. But the incident was supposed to have taken place at 8:00 am in Aldershot - I am about 40 miles away and was up then. It was a bit parky to be just wearing a shirt. So if genuine, we have to suppose that this guy was telling quite early in the morning. His assailant would have had to have either been carrying a milkshake opportunistically in the hope that a suitable rosette wearing victim was there. Or he would have had to have clocked him, found a local source of ammunition and then returned. They must then have legged it pretty sharpish as the observer with the camera didn't have the chance to get his picture.

So an odd thing to have happened especially at the time it did. And as it happens, extraordinarily lucky for the Brexit Party machine to have a fresh story like this emerging right at the beginning of polling day. It is certainly being retweeted enthusiastically by their representatives.

So not impossible, but an unusual set of circumstances.
  • Options
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @justin124 said:
    > > I voted at 1.30 . There appeared to be a steady flow and I passed a couple of voters heading in the direction of the polling station as I walked away. The polling staff advised that turnout was similar to the Local Elections three weeks ago - if anything a shade higher.This is in a strong Labour polling district where the Greens usually are second.
    > > On my walk home, I passed another polling station from the same ward - electorally more mixed between Labour and the Tories - so I popped in to ask about turnout. I was told again that turnout was similar to 2nd May - though much lighter than for a GE or the Referendum.
    > > Overall makes me think turnout more likely to be circa 40% than 30%.
    >
    > I reckon 40-50%

That is quite likely. What may depress turnout in some wards is the absence of a party battle taking place.Here in Norwich there were several wards which saw a keen contest between Labour and the Greens on 2nd May - and another saw a LibDem /Tory tussle. - with turnout well over 50% in some districts. The lack of political activity locally is likely to see that fall back a fair bit.
  • Options
    Perhaps a QTWTAIN: Will hawking the Malthouse Compromise be enough to get Nicky Morgan on the leadership ballot?

https://twitter.com/timesredbox/status/1131550597436461056
  • Options

nico67 said:

> @Nigel_Foremain said:

> > @GIN1138 said:

> >

> >

>

Who knows. But the incident was supposed to have taken place at 8:00 am in Aldershot - I am about 40 miles away and was up then. It was a bit parky to be just wearing a shirt. So if genuine, we have to suppose that this guy was telling quite early in the morning. His assailant would have had to have either been carrying a milkshake opportunistically in the hope that a suitable rosette wearing victim was there. Or he would have had to have clocked him, found a local source of ammunition and then returned. They must then have legged it pretty sharpish as the observer with the camera didn't have the chance to get his picture.

So an odd thing to have happened especially at the time it did. And as it happens, extraordinarily lucky for the Brexit Party machine to have a fresh story like this emerging right at the beginning of polling day. It is certainly being retweeted enthusiastically by their representatives.

Or he took off his jacket after it got covered?
  • Options
    > @Slackbladder said:
    > > @Floater said:
    > > > @StuartDickson said:
    > > > UK’s unpopularity even worse than reported.
    > > >
    > > > https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/23/eurovision-uk-dire-points-haul-revised-downwards-michael-rice
    > >
    > > You know hate is a very negative and corrosive thing don't you.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > And we used to do so so well in the Eurovision before Brexit....

shhh - leave the sad man to his hate.
  • Options
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > @justin124 said:
    > > > I voted at 1.30 . There appeared to be a steady flow and I passed a couple of voters heading in the direction of the polling station as I walked away. The polling staff advised that turnout was similar to the Local Elections three weeks ago - if anything a shade higher.This is in a strong Labour polling district where the Greens usually are second.
    > > > On my walk home, I passed another polling station from the same ward - electorally more mixed between Labour and the Tories - so I popped in to ask about turnout. I was told again that turnout was similar to 2nd May - though much lighter than for a GE or the Referendum.
    > > > Overall makes me think turnout more likely to be circa 40% than 30%.
    > >
    > > I reckon 40-50%
    >
    > That is quite likely. What may depress turnout in some wards is the absence of a party battle taking place.Here in Norwich there were several wards which saw a keen contest between Labour and the Greens on 2nd May - and another saw a LibDem /Tory tussle. - with turnout well over 50% in some districts. The lack of political activity locally is likely to see that fall back a fair bit.

Weird how that might affect turnout given the green vote in Norwich is competing against say the 3rd Brexit party seat which will come about as a result of say Grantham turnout.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    > @Recidivist said:
    >
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    >
    >
    >
    > > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Who knows. But the incident was supposed to have taken place at 8:00 am in Aldershot - I am about 40 miles away and was up then. It was a bit parky to be just wearing a shirt. So if genuine, we have to suppose that this guy was telling quite early in the morning. His assailant would have had to have either been carrying a milkshake opportunistically in the hope that a suitable rosette wearing victim was there. Or he would have had to have clocked him, found a local source of ammunition and then returned. They must then have legged it pretty sharpish as the observer with the camera didn't have the chance to get his picture.
    >
    > So an odd thing to have happened especially at the time it did. And as it happens, extraordinarily lucky for the Brexit Party machine to have a fresh story like this emerging right at the beginning of polling day. It is certainly being retweeted enthusiastically by their representatives.
    >
    > So not impossible, but an unusual set of circumstances.

The history of the Brexit period could be titled:

'The continued cynicism of remainers'
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    > @RobD said:
    >
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    >
    >
    >
    > > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Who knows. But the incident was supposed to have taken place at 8:00 am in Aldershot - I am about 40 miles away and was up then. It was a bit parky to be just wearing a shirt. So if genuine, we have to suppose that this guy was telling quite early in the morning. His assailant would have had to have either been carrying a milkshake opportunistically in the hope that a suitable rosette wearing victim was there. Or he would have had to have clocked him, found a local source of ammunition and then returned. They must then have legged it pretty sharpish as the observer with the camera didn't have the chance to get his picture.
    >
    > So an odd thing to have happened especially at the time it did. And as it happens, extraordinarily lucky for the Brexit Party machine to have a fresh story like this emerging right at the beginning of polling day. It is certainly being retweeted enthusiastically by their representatives.
    >
    > So not impossible, but an unusual set of circumstances.
    >
    > Or he took off his jacket after it got covered?

I don't think that's plausible given where he got splatted. Equally he looks almost happy about it...

So I'm going for a put up job and fake news but it's probably done it's job...
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    >

No, look at where the milkshake is. He can't have been wearing a jacket when it was thrown.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,997
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @justin124 said:
    > > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > > @justin124 said:
    > > > > I voted at 1.30 . There appeared to be a steady flow and I passed a couple of voters heading in the direction of the polling station as I walked away. The polling staff advised that turnout was similar to the Local Elections three weeks ago - if anything a shade higher.This is in a strong Labour polling district where the Greens usually are second.
    > > > > On my walk home, I passed another polling station from the same ward - electorally more mixed between Labour and the Tories - so I popped in to ask about turnout. I was told again that turnout was similar to 2nd May - though much lighter than for a GE or the Referendum.
    > > > > Overall makes me think turnout more likely to be circa 40% than 30%.
    > > >
    > > > I reckon 40-50%
    > >
    > > That is quite likely. What may depress turnout in some wards is the absence of a party battle taking place.Here in Norwich there were several wards which saw a keen contest between Labour and the Greens on 2nd May - and another saw a LibDem /Tory tussle. - with turnout well over 50% in some districts. The lack of political activity locally is likely to see that fall back a fair bit.
    >
    > Weird how that might affect turnout given the green vote in Norwich is competing against say the 3rd Brexit party seat which will come about as a result of say Grantham turnout.

Grantham and Norwich are in different regions!
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @justin124 said:
    > > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > > @justin124 said:
    > > > > I voted at 1.30 . There appeared to be a steady flow and I passed a couple of voters heading in the direction of the polling station as I walked away. The polling staff advised that turnout was similar to the Local Elections three weeks ago - if anything a shade higher.This is in a strong Labour polling district where the Greens usually are second.
    > > > > On my walk home, I passed another polling station from the same ward - electorally more mixed between Labour and the Tories - so I popped in to ask about turnout. I was told again that turnout was similar to 2nd May - though much lighter than for a GE or the Referendum.
    > > > > Overall makes me think turnout more likely to be circa 40% than 30%.
    > > >
    > > > I reckon 40-50%
    > >
    > > That is quite likely. What may depress turnout in some wards is the absence of a party battle taking place.Here in Norwich there were several wards which saw a keen contest between Labour and the Greens on 2nd May - and another saw a LibDem /Tory tussle. - with turnout well over 50% in some districts. The lack of political activity locally is likely to see that fall back a fair bit.
    >
    > Weird how that might affect turnout given the green vote in Norwich is competing against say the 3rd Brexit party seat which will come about as a result of say Grantham turnout.

No tellers were in evidence - unlikely there will be much knocking up going on.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    > @CD13 said:
    > Sometimes 'telling' is just an excuse to show the flag. It has an old and honourable tradition. I remember doing it for a mate of mine in the late nineteen-eighties who was standing for a council seat when I lived in Bedfordshire. I was also his agent, despite being a Labour voter. I did switch my allegiance for that election, but he lost heavily.
    >
    >
    > There is a happy ending. When I left, he managed to persuade someone competent to do the job, and he ended up Mayor.
    >
    > Edit: he was standing for the LDs.
    >
    > It wasn't OGH.

My mum, who was basically an old-fashioned Tory, joined Labour to help me in 1983 when I was PPC for Chelsea, and did several hours' telling at Chelsea Town Hall. She found that she and the Tory teller had interests and friends in common, so chatted merrily with her. The LibDem teller looked disgusted at this unseemly fraternisation and ostentatiously moved her chair to the other side of the entrance, refusing to say a word.
  • Options

> @isam said:

>

> Conservatives were Pro EU then....

Not really. They were promising a referendum on leaving, and spent most of their time telling people how rubbish the EU was.

Haha! Their leader, our PM, resigned because his vigorous campaign for Remain got beat!!! 🤣
  • Options

> @RobD said:

>

No, look at where the milkshake is. He can't have been wearing a jacket when it was thrown.

I was thinking more a blazer rather than jacket, sorry. Funny how people are trying to explain away an attack on a pensioner. How deeply unpleasant.
  • Options
    > @maaarsh said:
    >

It seems like only yesterday we were told Theresa May would be too busy campaigning today.
  • Options
    eek said:

I don't think that's plausible given where he got splatted. Equally he looks almost happy about it...

So I'm going for a put up job and fake news but it's probably done it's job...

He looks happy about it? Bewildered, more like.
  • Options
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > "The winds of destruction"
    >
    > https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1131471340014325761

Jacobins.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    Off-topic:

In other news, Tesla's share price is currently trading at 186 dollars, about half its peak from last year, about the time he (ahem) wanted to buy back the shares at $420 a share ...
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @RobD said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Or he took off his jacket after it got covered?
    >
    >
    >
    > No, look at where the milkshake is. He can't have been wearing a jacket when it was thrown.
    >
    > I was thinking more a blazer rather than jacket, sorry. Funny how people are trying to explain away an attack on a pensioner. How deeply unpleasant.

Rather, they are expressing scepticism that it happened.
    Which is possibly warranted, possibly not.

After all, Piers Morgan is hardly the most reliable of journalists.
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > I don't think that's plausible given where he got splatted. Equally he looks almost happy about it...
    >
    >
    >
    > So I'm going for a put up job and fake news but it's probably done it's job...
    >
    > He looks happy about it? Bewildered, more like.

That was my impression too.
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @RobD said:
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No, look at where the milkshake is. He can't have been wearing a jacket when it was thrown.
    >
    > I was thinking more a blazer rather than jacket, sorry. Funny how people are trying to explain away an attack on a pensioner. How deeply unpleasant.

It really is isn't it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

> @RobD said:

> > @RobD said:

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

Rather, they are expressing scepticism that it happened.

Which is possibly warranted, possibly not.

After all, Piers Morgan is hardly the most reliable of journalists.

He’s not the one claiming it happened.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The history of the Brexit period could be titled:
    'The continued cynicism of remainers'

And equally, 'the continuing credulity of Brexiteers'.

Either, or both, could be justified.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,142
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > > @CD13 said:
    > > Sometimes 'telling' is just an excuse to show the flag. It has an old and honourable tradition. I remember doing it for a mate of mine in the late nineteen-eighties who was standing for a council seat when I lived in Bedfordshire. I was also his agent, despite being a Labour voter. I did switch my allegiance for that election, but he lost heavily.
    > >
    > >
    > > There is a happy ending. When I left, he managed to persuade someone competent to do the job, and he ended up Mayor.
    > >
    > > Edit: he was standing for the LDs.
    > >
    > > It wasn't OGH.
    >
    > My mum, who was basically an old-fashioned Tory, joined Labour to help me in 1983 when I was PPC for Chelsea, and did several hours' telling at Chelsea Town Hall. She found that she and the Tory teller had interests and friends in common, so chatted merrily with her. The LibDem teller looked disgusted at this unseemly fraternisation and ostentatiously moved her chair to the other side of the entrance, refusing to say a word.

I had a lovely time telling for the Tories in North Cambridge (relative directions of travel have taken me far from that political position these days, mind you).

The thing I most remember is that the Labour folks and myself bought each other cups of tea and just enjoyed the day. Others seemed to forget that people can be kind to each other even if they disagree on some things.
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > I was thinking more a blazer rather than jacket, sorry. Funny how people are trying to explain away an attack on a pensioner. How deeply unpleasant.
    >
    >
    > Rather, they are expressing scepticism that it happened.
    >
    > Which is possibly warranted, possibly not.
    >
    >
    > After all, Piers Morgan is hardly the most reliable of journalists.
    >
    > He’s not the one claiming it happened.

No, but he is the (self-professed) journalist reporting it.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    > @Floater said:
    > > @StuartDickson said:
    > > UK’s unpopularity even worse than reported.
    > >
    > > https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/23/eurovision-uk-dire-points-haul-revised-downwards-michael-rice
    >
    > You know hate is a very negative and corrosive thing don't you.
    >
    >

Ireland had a disastrous Eurovision as well. Dead last in it’s semi final and it scored a mere 3 points from the televote - all of which came from the UK.

Perhaps Eurovision voters had objections to the imposition of the backstop or perhaps the Irish (as with the UK) need more suitable songs to get higher up the leaderboard?

In the end most Europeans don’t care about Brexit, preferred other songs, don’t really dislike Ireland or the UK and there are large disaspora votes which can distort results. But in the end the best song in wins. half the nations in the final weren’t even EU members!

The Netherlands hadn’t won the contest for 45 years and Portugal won two years ago after nearly 50 years of trying. Brexit may be responsible for many things but not our performance at Eurovision which has been generally weak for 15 years now.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

nico67 said:

> @Nigel_Foremain said:

> > @GIN1138 said:

> >

> >

>

HOUSE!!!

Playing Remainer Bingo, I think I’ve got the lot

Jo Cox comparison
    Biased Guido
    False flag
    Only a pensioner
    Electoral commission
    Fascist

Why does it make a difference that he wasn’t wearing a jacket? Farage was wearing one in the midday sun and he still got milkshaked! Hardly Batfinks shield of steel!!

Could’ve been a false flag though I suppose. Allegedly the abuser rode past giving him verbals then came back with the shake

‘I was 40 miles away and it was parky here’ was a lovely touch!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good afternoon, everyone.

If that's the case, Lib Dems 5pts ahead of Lab, does that suggest a yellow London?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Just popped round to the polling station for a chat with one of the tellers, and it's looking like a very good turnout in our (strongly Remain-inclined) town.
This discussion has been closed.