Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s last-ditch bid to stop its Remain backing voters swit

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    If The Brexit Party aren't on 101% after last weeks rally, it really is all over for Farage.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    > @Scott_P said:
    > It's a classic smear. Mention two "scandals" in the same breath and hope people think the two are connected and if they don't think that at least people might think that they are of the same seriousness.
    >
    > Paranoid much?
    >
    > It's a journalist reporting what is being talked about in Brussels.
    >
    > If she had said "party funding and Game of Thrones" would you have got your knickers in such a twist?

Had it been Game of Thrones then I doubt @Cyclefree would have asked "are the two connected?"
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    > @eristdoof said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > FPT:-
    > >
    > >
    > > What in Boris’s record suggests that he would be a good PM?
    > >
    > > Was his time as a very senior Cabinet Minister, for instance, marked by any particular successes or achievements?
    >
    > During his time as Foreign Secretary, he managed to annoy many overseas governments, and was a constant joke here in Germany. Lets say the polite opinion was "why was he given such an important job?".
    >
    > The UK will really be the laughing stock of western politics if he makes it to PM.

In a world of Presidents Trump, Bolsonaro and Deputy PM Salvini the idea the rest of the world can laugh at Boris is absurd. Boris or indeed Corbyn (much like Tsipras or Lopez Obrador) would just reflect the global trend towards populism
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @Alanbrooke said:
    > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > > > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > > >
    > > > > > I don't at all disagree about the No Deal n the result.
    > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > > The problem with , no matter what Britain ends up with.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > It's an interesting question as to whether this was always inevitable - all revolutions usually end up giving power to those on the extremes - or a consequence of the actions taken by various players in response to the result.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > I tended to think the latter but now feel the former. Or maybe, soggy Lib Dem-ish person that I am, it's a mixture of the two.
    > > > >
    > > > > It was not inevitable but it wase country.
    > > > >
    > > > > Instead Britain got Theresa May, "citizens of nowhere", "enemies of the people", assaults on every civic institution in Britain and "no deal is better than a bad deal". Theresa May has a very bad reputation now. It is not going to improve with time.
    > > > >
    > > > > Cameron’s fault for doing a runner.
    > > > >
    > > > > No, Theresa May and prominent Leavers who sought to turn Brexit into a closed order cult must take the lion's share of the blame.
    > > >
    > > > Quite.
    > > >
    > > > The fact that the leadership contenders felt the need to make themselves as attractive as possible to the most ardent Brexiteers made it impossible (or very hard) for them, once in power, to do what you outline above.
    > > >
    > > > What Britain needed was a De Valera sort of politician - one who used his hardline supporters to gain power and then ruthlessly turned on them when in power.
    > > >
    > > > The needs of the Tory party were - and still are - at odds with the needs of the country. The country is suffering as a result.
    > >
    > > Is it ?
    > >
    > > Ive been mulling at the state of the economy which rolls on despite the uncertainty, on balance imo there is now more upside than there is downside whichever direction we go in, it;s the uncertainty holding things back.
    > >
    > > Ive equally been them.
    >
    > That is a very Italian view. Get on with life and ignore the politicians. There is much to be said for it when we have muppets notionally in charge.
    >
    > But there are the things which ought to be done - but aren't being - which is what will harm the country. All those problems/issues being ignored which will later blow up in our faces.
    >

"there are things which ought to be done but arent being"

but thats been the story for decades, weve had politicians concentrating on their pet projects and headlines
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    It's almost touching, the way they are coming up with little groups to think of the way forward, whilst a populist tsunami is heading towards them within days.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    > @brendan16 said:
    > "Vote for us to get a non-bigoted Brexit" is an OK message, except it doesn't appeal to those that are bigots and those that don't want Brexit at all. Collectively these two groups make a large majority. Also it's not clear that Labour are offering Brexit, or want to.
    >
    > A ‘non bigoted’ Brexit - what does that even mean? Not really leaving and having no say over the rules we are subject to.
    >
    > If having full control over who lives and works in your country and decides that based on skills and qualifications not the colour of your passport is ‘bigoted’ then 85 per cent of the nations in the world must be bigoted on your logic!

Not my logic. Labour's actual message. Which means get a Brexit without pandering to the Farage types. Which is an OK message. Problem is, more than half the population don't want Brexit at all, including most current and previous Labour voters; most of those that do want Brexit are Farage types; Labour aren't very committed to delivering Brexit.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > It's a classic smear. Mention two "scandals" in the same breath and hope people think the two are connected and if they don't think that at least people might think that they are of the same seriousness.
    > >
    > > Paranoid much?
    > >
    > > It's a journalist reporting what is being talked about in Brussels.
    > >
    > > If she had said "party funding and Game of Thrones" would you have got your knickers in such a twist?
    >
    > Had it been Game of Thrones then I doubt @Cyclefree would have asked "are the two connected?"

And you know what I think do you? And what I am likely to ask do you? I would not have understood any reference to Game of Thrones having never seen it and would likely have asked what she was referring to.

Katya Adler is one of the few journalists I pay attention to. So comments from her on what she is hearing in Brussels are worth paying attention to and asking for some more information about.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tlg86 said:
    I await with interest Leavers considering in detail the election law implications (and indeed tax law implications) of Nigel Farage's rent boy arrangement.

For some reason their interest in election law seems to end when the waters lap around Leave's doors.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > The problem with your view (and I respect it) is that very few people actually want a soft Brexit and the only people advocating such a compromise are, surprise surprise, the people who want it. It would command no legitimacy in reality. Every outcome is going to be detested by a majority now, no matter what Britain ends up with.

> > > It's an interesting question as to whether this was always inevitable - all revolutions usually end up giving power to those on the extremes - or a consequence of the actions taken by various players in response to the result.

> > > I tended to think the latter but now feel the former. Or maybe, soggy Lib Dem-ish person that I am, it's a mixture of the two.
    > > >
    > > > It was not inevitable but it was always possible. To be avoided, Britain needed leadership that sought genuinely to bring people together, that sought to identify the key features to respect the referendum result and then identify the compromises that would entail, to be inclusive of all strains of political views and then to sell that approach to the country.
    > > >
    > > > Instead Britain got Theresa May, "citizens of nowhere", "enemies of the people", assaults on every civic institution in Britain and "no deal is better than a bad deal". Theresa May has a very bad reputation now. It is not going to improve with time.
    > > >
    > > > Cameron’s fault for doing a runner.
    > > >
    > > > No, Theresa May and prominent Leavers who sought to turn Brexit into a closed order cult must take the lion's share of the blame.
    > >
    > > Quite.
    > >
    > > The fact that the leadership contenders felt the need to make themselves as attractive as possible to the most ardent Brexiteers made it impossible (or very hard) for them, once in power, to do what you outline above.
    > >
    > > What Britain needed was a De Valera sort of politician - one who used his hardline supporters to gain power and then ruthlessly turned on them when in power.
    > >
    > > The needs of the Tory party were - and still are - at odds with the needs of the country. The country is suffering as a result.
    >
    > When did De Valera turn on his supporters? At the beginning of his presidency Ireland was still a Free State dominion with the British monarch as Head of State, by the end of his presidency Ireland was an independent Republic and not even in the Commonwealth.
    >
    > Collins may have been a Mayite, De Valera was a hard Brexiteer

Read up about what he did to IRA members.
  • Options
  • Options
    > @FF43 said:
    > > @brendan16 said:
    > > "Vote for us to get a non-bigoted Brexit" is an OK message, except it doesn't appeal to those that are bigots and those that don't want Brexit at all. Collectively these two groups make a large majority. Also it's not clear that Labour are offering Brexit, or want to.
    > >
    > > A ‘non bigoted’ Brexit - what does that even mean? Not really leaving and having no say over the rules we are subject to.
    > >
    > > If having full control over who lives and works in your country and decides that based on skills and qualifications not the colour of your passport is ‘bigoted’ then 85 per cent of the nations in the world must be bigoted on your logic!
    >
    > Not my logic. Labour's actual message. Which means get a Brexit without pandering to the Farage types. Which is an OK message. Problem is, more than half the population don't want Brexit at all, including most current and previous Labour voters; most of those that do want Brexit are Farage types; Labour aren't very committed to delivering Brexit.

Do they? The latest Survation has it Leave 49% Remain 51% and the latest Opinium has it No Deal 47% EUref2 41% and No Deal preferred to revoke and further extension combined.

Not much evidence of a surge to Remain since 2016 there
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @eristdoof said:
    > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > FPT:-
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > What in Boris’s record suggests that he would be a good PM?
    > > >
    > > > Was his time as a very senior Cabinet Minister, for instance, marked by any particular successes or achievements?
    > >
    > > During his time as Foreign Secretary, he managed to annoy many overseas governments, and was a constant joke here in Germany. Lets say the polite opinion was "why was he given such an important job?".
    > >
    > > The UK will really be the laughing stock of western politics if he makes it to PM.
    >
    > In a world of Presidents Trump, Bolsonaro and Deputy PM Salvini the idea the rest of the world can laugh at Boris is absurd. Boris or indeed Corbyn (much like Tsipras or Lopez Obrador) would just reflect the global trend towards populism

That's your standard, is it? We'll be no better than Salvini, Bolsonaro and Trump.

And the Tories have the nerve to call themselves the patriotic party.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1130440217599647744
    >
    > Bus Pass Elvis did a better job.

The incompetence at politics of our politicians has been a revelation.
  • Options
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > Oops:
    >
    >
    >
    > https://order-order.com/2019/05/20/peoples-vote-accept-offshore-donation-euros-vladimir-putin/
    >
    > I await with interest Leavers considering in detail the election law implications (and indeed tax law implications) of Nigel Farage's rent boy arrangement.
    >
    > For some reason their interest in election law seems to end when the waters lap around Leave's doors.

What are the possible tax law implications? (Genuine question, this.)
  • Options
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    > > https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1130440217599647744
    > >
    > > Bus Pass Elvis did a better job.
    >
    > The incompetence at politics of our politicians has been a revelation.

If you took a middle manager out of a FTSE 250 company and asked them to start up a new business, I expect most couldn't do it.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019
    It may not be too different from the Plaid Yougov poll and still be a sensational Welsh Barometer.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited May 2019
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > https://twitter.com/roger_scully/status/1130438404716601345
    >
    > Probably the Brexit Party and Plaid in front?

Last one as far as I can see had TBP on 4%, so my guess is a surge there and either Labour or the Tories in 3rd place for the first time ever in these polls. Maybe not TBP first, but who knows.

Could even still be Lab/Con top 2 but on the lowest ever combined share.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

> @AlastairMeeks said:

> Oops:

>

>

>

> https://order-order.com/2019/05/20/peoples-vote-accept-offshore-donation-euros-vladimir-putin/

>

> I await with interest Leavers considering in detail the election law implications (and indeed tax law implications) of Nigel Farage's rent boy arrangement.

>

> For some reason their interest in election law seems to end when the waters lap around Leave's doors.

What are the possible tax law implications? (Genuine question, this.)

Part of a longer thread:

https://twitter.com/Ray_McCann55/status/1130037467061587968
  • Options
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > https://twitter.com/roger_scully/status/1130438404716601345

My goodness we political geeks live such exciting lives, our hearts pounding waiting for the next Welsh Political Barometer!
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > It's a classic smear. Mention two "scandals" in the same breath and hope people think the two are connected and if they don't think that at least people might think that they are of the same seriousness.
    > > >
    > > > Paranoid much?
    > > >
    > > > It's a journalist reporting what is being talked about in Brussels.
    > > >
    > > > If she had said "party funding and Game of Thrones" would you have got your knickers in such a twist?
    > >
    > > Had it been Game of Thrones then I doubt @Cyclefree would have asked "are the two connected?"
    >
    > And you know what I think do you? And what I am likely to ask do you? I would not have understood any reference to Game of Thrones having never seen it and would likely have asked what she was referring to.
    >
    > Katya Adler is one of the few journalists I pay attention to. So comments from her on what she is hearing in Brussels are worth paying attention to and asking for some more information about.
    >
    >

You're a very intelligent person. And yet you still fell for the trick. Why would there be a connection between a political scandal in Austria and an alleged scandal in the UK?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177
    I have been really really struggling to find the motivation to vote this Thursday. Whilst our two MEPs in the North East are excellent, the Labour "policy" on Brexit deserves to receive an absolute kicking.

However, having now Googled the Brexit Party candidates here, I am now resolved to hold my nose and vote Labour. Anything to try and stop Farage's Circus of Shame performers getting elected.
  • Options
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > Oops:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Actually I'm not impressed with TBP set up. But, as ever, don't hate the player hate the game. I'd be happy to see the law tightened up on this sort of thing.
  • Options
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    >
    > > Oops:
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://order-order.com/2019/05/20/peoples-vote-accept-offshore-donation-euros-vladimir-putin/
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I await with interest Leavers considering in detail the election law implications (and indeed tax law implications) of Nigel Farage's rent boy arrangement.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > For some reason their interest in election law seems to end when the waters lap around Leave's doors.
    >
    >
    >
    > What are the possible tax law implications? (Genuine question, this.)
    >
    > Part of a longer thread:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/Ray_McCann55/status/1130037467061587968

so basically a bit of headline hype which any half decent lawyer or tax advisor could defend ?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    > @Cicero said:
    > > @another_richard said:
    > > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > > Heseltine's point that the conditions are ripe for a centrist party will be one of the great prophetic statements of our time. You mark his words in 10 and 20 years time.
    > > >
    > > > Power in Britain is almost always won in the centre. There hasn't been a single hard right or left winner since the 1980's, and even then you can convincingly argue not only that Maggie had a very astute 'housewife's purse' approach to economics and ownership, she was also victorious against a very left-wing Labour Party. This isn't America, where, incidentally, Donald Trump wasn't running his own party but won the Republican ticket.
    > > >
    > > > Let's assume the Tories do what they are bound to, and lurch to the right. And let's assume CHUK are over, by Heidi Allen's own admission just now on R4. And let's accept that the Greens will always be a touch too fringe and quirky for the mainstream. As for Labour, let's also acknowledge that it's difficult to see how the centrists are going to get rid of the hard left who now control the mechanisms of power.
    > > >
    > > > That means the centre is for the taking by the LibDems. This time they have the opportunity to learn from the previous mistakes. They will hold their own, fight their own corner.
    > > >
    > > > I predict that the really seismic change in British politics will not be on the right but the Liberal Democrats.
    > > >
    > > > I genuinely think in the next 10-15 years there will be an outright Lib Dem government.
    > >
    > > But the LibDems aren't a centre party either.
    > >
    > > They are an extremist party for upper middle class metropolitans.
    >
    > Rural Aberdeenshire is not noted as a centre for the upper class and yet is a pretty strong area for the Liberal Democrats...

Are you referring to Gordon constituency ?

Where the LibDems came fourth with 12%

Or Aberdeenshire West constituency ?

Where the LibDems came fourth with 9% ?

Or Banff and Buchan constituency ?

Where the LibDems came fourth with 4% ?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    > @RochdalePioneers said:
    > I have been really really struggling to find the motivation to vote this Thursday. Whilst our two MEPs in the North East are excellent, the Labour "policy" on Brexit deserves to receive an absolute kicking.
    >
    > However, having now Googled the Brexit Party candidates here, I am now resolved to hold my nose and vote Labour. Anything to try and stop Farage's Circus of Shame performers getting elected.

I concur. Will be doing likewise. A vote entirely against something rather than in favour. Interestingly, even remain vote.com predicts no Remain MEPs elected up here.
    Little choice left then.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1130433763173896193
    > > >
    > > > Is there some suggestion that the two are linked?
    > >
    > > You wish.
    >
    > No. I was asking a genuine question.
    >
    > I was not one of those who jumped on the issue raised by the Cadwallader tweet yesterday.
    >
    > I am curious about why Brussels should be buzzing with rumours about Farage receiving payments of £5.00 via Paypal in the absence of anything more.
    >
    > From what I have read, the bigger issue from the Brussels perspective (i.e. whether there has been a breach of the rules) is whether Farage properly declared the sums received from Arron Banks in the year or so after the 2016 referendum.
    >
    >

The Brexit Party exploits a very lax bit of legislation where amounts less than £500 are not counted as donations. The BP only accepts, no questions asked, untraceable amounts of less than £500. This isn't lax governance. It's a system specifically designed to launder money.

Other political parties do ask questions, including for payments less than £500
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @tlg86 said:

>
    > You're a very intelligent person. And yet you still fell for the trick. Why would there be a connection between a political scandal in Austria and an alleged scandal in the UK?

It's pretty obvious that the link is Russia trying to buy influence in European politics.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited May 2019
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/seddonnews/status/1130445422646956032

Arron Banks isn't paying enough for top notch earpiece goons.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @eristdoof said:
    > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > FPT:-
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > What in Boris’s record suggests that he would be a good PM?
    > > >
    > > > Was his time as a very senior Cabinet Minister, for instance, marked by any particular successes or achievements?
    > >
    > > During his time as Foreign Secretary, he managed to annoy many overseas governments, and was a constant joke here in Germany. Lets say the polite opinion was "why was he given such an important job?".
    > >
    > > The UK will really be the laughing stock of western politics if he makes it to PM.
    >
    > This is the real issue with Boris.
    >
    > It is not whether he is an opportunist or duplicitous. Those descriptions apply to most politicians to some degree.
    > It is not that he is a Leave supporter. For many like me that would be an asset not a hindrance.
    >
    > In the end the real problem is he has an almost unique combination of laziness and incompetence which makes him utterly unsuited for any high (or perhaps even low) office. He would be a real disaster for this country if he actually got to be PM. Just as much as Corbyn but in a different way.

I'm not sure you can second guess how good or bad a PM someone will make. A campaign will help and of course had Theresa May been subjected to one we might not have had the last three years of prime ministerial incompetence inflicted upon us. Equally many sang the praises of Gordon Brown before the realities of being in office quickly disabused them. Boris might be perceived as lazy (as some argue Churchill was) or incompetent (perhaps more due not getting to grips with fine detail) but as a prospective PM of our divided country in 2019 his attributes (good PR skills, a sense of positivity going forward) might be more important.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Literally the best thing you will ever see on twitter
    https://twitter.com/seddonnews/status/1130446247171710976
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > Literally the best thing you will ever see on twitter
    > https://twitter.com/seddonnews/status/1130446247171710976
    >

if thats the best thing Ill ever see Im glad I dont use it. Man gets milk on suit is hardly life changing, all it will do is generate sympathy for him.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    > @Mysticrose said:
    >

Those are chaotic scenes? :D
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Bollocks. Is that the political debate you want? You think it's funny because it's someone you disagree with on the receiving end.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    > @Alanbrooke said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > Literally the best thing you will ever see on twitter
    > > https://twitter.com/seddonnews/status/1130446247171710976
    > >
    >
    > if thats the best thing Ill ever see Im glad I dont use it. Man gets mik on suit is hardly life changing, all it will do is generate sympathy for him.
    >
    >

This is a surefire vote winner for Farage, if you like a conspiracy theory then wouldn't be surprised if a campaign tactic was to put himself in a position where this might happen. In only takes 1 far left to hand him thousands more votes, incredibly counter productive.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited May 2019
    The milkshaking is creating an equivalence between all those who are assaulted by it.
    Who'll be next - Boris ?

I'm not sure these minor assaults will have the effect those perpetrating them think it will.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
  • Options
    What was wrong with the good old fashioned custard pie to the face routine?
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @FF43 said:
    > > > @brendan16 said:
    > > > "Vote for us to get a non-bigoted Brexit" is an OK message, except it doesn't appeal to those that are bigots and those that don't want Brexit at all. Collectively these two groups make a large majority. Also it's not clear that Labour are offering Brexit, or want to.
    > > >
    > > > A ‘non bigoted’ Brexit - what does that even mean? Not really leaving and having no say over the rules we are subject to.
    > > >
    > > > If having full control over who lives and works in your country and decides that based on skills and qualifications not the colour of your passport is ‘bigoted’ then 85 per cent of the nations in the world must be bigoted on your logic!
    > >
    > > Not my logic. Labour's actual message. Which means get a Brexit without pandering to the Farage types. Which is an OK message. Problem is, more than half the population don't want Brexit at all, including most current and previous Labour voters; most of those that do want Brexit are Farage types; Labour aren't very committed to delivering Brexit.
    >
    > Do they? The latest Survation has it Leave 49% Remain 51% and the latest Opinium has it No Deal 47% EUref2 41% and No Deal preferred to revoke and further extension combined.
    >
    > Not much evidence of a surge to Remain since 2016 there

-------------------------

That poll it's the first of many polls since December last year to have Leave so close to Remain. If it's a trend it's a sudden and recent one

See here:
    https://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-polls/
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

if thats the best thing Ill ever see Im glad I dont use it. Man gets milk on suit is hardly life changing, all it will do is generate sympathy for him.

It made me wonder why on earth he didn't take his jacket off.

This is Newcastle, being underdressed for the weather is de rigeur.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    > @Mysticrose said:
    >

Well that's 30 seconds of my life I am not getting back.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2019

tlg86 said:
    I await with interest Leavers considering in detail the election law implications (and indeed tax law implications) of Nigel Farage's rent boy arrangement.

For some reason their interest in election law seems to end when the waters lap around Leave's doors.
    As opposed to those who think the remain campaign was the epitome of honesty and probity. They spent 50 per cent more than the leave campaign - double if you count Cameron’s leaflet to every home in the UK. Yet they were cheated and hard done by? Laughable!

Or those only become obsessed with electoral commission infringements when their side loses. Odd considering every main party has breached the rules at some time locally or nationally but no one suggested the said GE should be rerun.

It’s just the double standards and faux outrage that are a bit much.
  • Options
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @Norm said:
    >
    > I'm not sure you can second guess how good or bad a PM someone will make. A campaign will help and of course had Theresa May been subjected to one we might not have had the last three years of prime ministerial incompetence inflicted upon us. Equally many sang the praises of Gordon Brown before the realities of being in office quickly disabused them. Boris might be perceived as lazy (as some argue Churchill was) or incompetent (perhaps more due not getting to grips with fine detail) but as a prospective PM of our divided country in 2019 his attributes (good PR skills, a sense of positivity going forward) might be more important.
    ----------
    Mayor of London is the second biggest leadership job in British governance, so should be a pretty good guide.

Some pretty large negatives in terms of pushing flashy flamboyant ideas (like the Garden Bridge) in preference to more important items (like another bridge for East London), but progress on cycling was good because he appointed someone capable and backed them. It could be a worse record.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    He's a vile racist d*ckhead and deserves to know that lots of people really hate him and everything he stands for. Especially young people.

He won't get above 1/5th of the electorate on Thursday. In fact I doubt he will poll 3 million.

It means diddly squat. All the rallies. The angry shouting. The old irritable men on here. It means nothing.

Come the next General Election he and his ilk will be given a good firm boot by the silent majority.

He doesn't represent Britain. Nor anything like it.
  • Options
    > @Nemtynakht said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > https://twitter.com/bluecollartory_/status/1130443852895215616?s=20
    >
    > Those collars look white to me

Indeed. Was this photo taken during tea break on the assembly line? Or are they all on night shift?
  • Options
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > He's a vile racist d*ckhead and deserves to know that lots of people really hate him and everything he stands for. Especially young people.
    >
    > He won't get above 1/5th of the electorate on Thursday. In fact I doubt he will poll 3 million.
    >
    > It means diddly squat. All the rallies. The angry shouting. The old irritable men on here. It means nothing.
    >
    > Come the next General Election he and his ilk will be given a good firm boot by the silent majority.
    >
    > He doesn't represent Britain. Nor anything like it.

In fairness you're an anti semite and a bigot, not to mention a troll account but I doubt anyone throws milkshakes at you.
  • Options
    Vlad is not going to be too happy with the security his man in the UK has around him.
  • Options
    > @TOPPING said:
    >
    >
    >
    > Bollocks. Is that the political debate you want? You think it's funny because it's someone you disagree with on the receiving end.

Pathetic, isn't it?
  • Options
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > He's a vile racist d*ckhead and deserves to know that lots of people really hate him and everything he stands for. Especially young people.
    >
    > He won't get above 1/5th of the electorate on Thursday. In fact I doubt he will poll 3 million.
    >
    > It means diddly squat. All the rallies. The angry shouting. The old irritable men on here. It means nothing.
    >
    > Come the next General Election he and his ilk will be given a good firm boot by the silent majority.
    >

But enough about Jeremy Corbyn...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Scott_P said:
    I do like how pelting fascists with emulsified fats and sugar is now our national sport.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited May 2019
    Pulpstar said:

The milkshaking is creating an equivalence between all those who are assaulted by it.

Who'll be next - Boris ?

I'm not sure these minor assaults will have the effect those perpetrating them think it will.

I wonder which story the news will lead with - the funding allegations or the visual impact of the milkshake? And which is actually more damaging (tbh the funding stuff won't get traction at this point, but there is a real story there.)

Quite apart from the distastefulness of any such minor assault (and I said the same about the Corbyn egging) you are quite right that it says more about those who laugh at them than about the victims.

And, yes, Boris.
  • Options
    > @El_Capitano said:
    > if thats the best thing Ill ever see Im glad I dont use it. Man gets milk on suit is hardly life changing, all it will do is generate sympathy for him.
    >
    > It made me wonder why on earth he didn't take his jacket off.
    >
    > This is Newcastle, being underdressed for the weather is de rigeur.

Because he has been around for long enough to know these pictures are guaranteed TV time and will do him no harm whatsoever?
  • Options
    > @Mysticrose said:
    >
    >
    >
    >

The same silent majority that voted Brexit in 2016? :smiley:
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

> @Nemtynakht said:

> > @HYUFD said:

> >

>

> Those collars look white to me

Indeed. Was this photo taken during tea break on the assembly line? Or are they all on night shift?
    She's planning to campaign across UK by visiting pubs and possibly using Major's soapbox.

• Options

In fact I doubt he will poll 3 million.

Just saving this bit. It's a bold call: would you like to bet?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1130446824614109185

'Sometimes I guess there just ain't enough milkshakes'
  • Options
    > @Tissue_Price said:
    > In fact I doubt he will poll 3 million.
    >
    > Just saving this bit. It's a bold call: would you like to bet?

Damn. You beat me to it. Can I have the "not more than 1/5th of the electorate" one?
  • Options
    It’s a milkshake not a crucifixion. He should be grateful that his opponents are only picking up their trifles.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    'Blue collar' is such a strange phrase. I thought it odd thirty years ago, but at least then you could vaguely relate to it. Nowadays it just seems quaint.
  • Options
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > It’s a milkshake not a crucifixion. He should be grateful that his opponents are only picking up their trifles.

I am sure the offender is in custardy.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

> @Tissue_Price said:

> In fact I doubt he will poll 3 million.

>

> Just saving this bit. It's a bold call: would you like to bet?

Damn. You beat me to it. Can I have the "not more than 1/5th of the electorate" one?

Sure: you can back that with me, bearing in mind that most of the electorate will be staying at home...
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    DavidL said:

Because he has been around for long enough to know these pictures are guaranteed TV time and will do him no harm whatsoever?

You mean he's...

(pause)

...milking it?
  • Options

> @Mysticrose said:

>

>

Indeed. In a liberal democracy fascists, especially, need to be protected from having milkshakes thrown at them.
  • Options
    > @Dura_Ace said:
    >
    >
    >
    > I do like how pelting fascists with emulsified fats and sugar is now our national sport.

I don't think all the Brexitloons making doom laden, passive aggressive predictions of the great unwashed taking out their frustrations on the establishment quite envisaged it as this.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    > @Norm said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > @eristdoof said:
    > > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > > FPT:-
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > What in Boris’s record suggests that he would be a good PM?
    > > > >
    > > > > Was his time as a very senior Cabinet Minister, for instance, marked by any particular successes or achievements?
    > > >
    > > > During his time as Foreign Secretary, he managed to annoy many overseas governments, and was a constant joke here in Germany. Lets say the polite opinion was "why was he given such an important job?".
    > > >
    > > > The UK will really be the laughing stock of western politics if he makes it to PM.
    > >
    > > This is the real issue with Boris.
    > >
    > > It is not whether he is an opportunist or duplicitous. Those descriptions apply to most politicians to some degree.
    > > It is not that he is a Leave supporter. For many like me that would be an asset not a hindrance.
    > >
    > > In the end the real problem is he has an almost unique combination of laziness and incompetence which makes him utterly unsuited for any high (or perhaps even low) office. He would be a real disaster for this country if he actually got to be PM. Just as much as Corbyn but in a different way.
    >
    > I'm not sure you can second guess how good or bad a PM someone will make. A campaign will help and of course had Theresa May been subjected to one we might not have had the last three years of prime ministerial incompetence inflicted upon us. Equally many sang the praises of Gordon Brown before the realities of being in office quickly disabused them. Boris might be perceived as lazy (as some argue Churchill was) or incompetent (perhaps more due not getting to grips with fine detail) but as a prospective PM of our divided country in 2019 his attributes (good PR skills, a sense of positivity going forward) might be more important.

I am basing my view on his time as Foreign Secretary which was simply execrable. I simply don't believe from that episode that he has the time or inclination to put in the minimum of work necessary to hold high office. Indeed his reliance on PR skills and positivity may well be the very reason why he has not bothered to develop any of the other skills that actually matter.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2019
    TOPPING said:

Bollocks. Is that the political debate you want? You think it's funny because it's someone you disagree with on the receiving end.
    Problem is it starts with milkshakes - all hilarious fun if you are a teenager rather than an adult - with nothing being done and then it essentially makes physical attacks on all candidates for political office acceptable. It may be Farage today (or writing traitor on the MP for the Rhondda's offices as happened at the weekend) but your party candidate tomorrow and where do we go then - acid attacks or worse? Cos if you legitimise this (oh it’s so funny) and think it’s acceptable then it’s open season.

If we can’t debate and just let voters decide we are in a pretty mess.
  • Options

It’s a milkshake not a crucifixion. He should be grateful that his opponents are only picking up their trifles.

Like James Bond, I'm sure Farage is not stirred.
  • Options
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > 'Blue collar' is such a strange phrase. I thought it odd thirty years ago, but at least then you could vaguely relate to it. Nowadays it just seems quaint.

It's weird isn't it? Especially in a meeting where everyone is wearing suits. Short of the odd security guard or prison officer does anyone wear a blue collar to work anymore?
  • Options
    > @FF43 said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    > if thats the best thing Ill ever see Im glad I dont use it. Man gets milk on suit is hardly life changing, all it will do is generate sympathy for him.
    >
    > Indeed. In a liberal democracy fascists, especially, need to be protected from having milkshakes thrown at them.

ya, you may need to look up the meaning of the word liberal
  • Options
    > @El_Capitano said:
    > Because he has been around for long enough to know these pictures are guaranteed TV time and will do him no harm whatsoever?
    >
    > You mean he's...
    >
    > (pause)
    >
    > ...milking it?

You are the cream of the crop today.
  • Options
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > It’s a milkshake not a crucifixion. He should be grateful that his opponents are only picking up their trifles.

It's only going to ruin a suit but it's still a stupid thing to do. People want politicians to be more visible and engage with the public, people who support assaulting or attacking politicians will just push us towards a society where those who make the decisions are even more detached and less accountable.

Heckling is fine but if someone is standing in a fair and free election they're entitled to not fear for their safety or expect to have stuff thrown at them every day.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2019
    DavidL said:

> @Richard_Nabavi said:

> 'Blue collar' is such a strange phrase. I thought it odd thirty years ago, but at least then you could vaguely relate to it. Nowadays it just seems quaint.

It's weird isn't it? Especially in a meeting where everyone is wearing suits. Short of the odd security guard or prison officer does anyone wear a blue collar to work anymore?

Actually I am wearing a blue shirt with a blue collar today! But I doubt if I'm quite what Ms McVey means.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2019
    I still await the outrage from the media over all these attacks on ring wing politicians. When it was Remainers getting horrid things shouted at them by Yellow Vest nutters, it was all about the potential for violence etc etc etc.

Smashing an egg on Corbyn isn't acceptable, nor is throwing milkshakes over Farage...and I don't like either on them.
  • Options
    > @Tissue_Price said:
    > > @Tissue_Price said:
    >
    > > In fact I doubt he will poll 3 million.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Just saving this bit. It's a bold call: would you like to bet?
    >
    >
    >
    > Damn. You beat me to it. Can I have the "not more than 1/5th of the electorate" one?
    >
    > Sure: you can back that with me, bearing in mind that most of the electorate will be staying at home...

On that basis TBP would probably need to poll 60%+. If we focus on those who can be bothered to vote for this farce, however, I expect them to be in the low 30s.
  • Options
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > I still await the outrage from the media over all these attacks on ring wing politicians. When it was Remainers getting horrid things shouted at them by Yellow Vest nutters, it was all about the potential for violence etc etc etc.
    >
    > Smashing an egg on Corbyn isn't acceptable, nor is throwing milkshakes over Farage...and I don't like either on them.

Have a look at what went off in Oldham...
  • Options
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > I still await the outrage from the media over all these attacks on ring wing politicians. When it was Remainers getting horrid things shouted at them by Yellow Vest nutters, it was all about the potential for violence etc etc etc.
    >
    > Smashing an egg on Corbyn isn't acceptable, nor is throwing milkshakes over Farage...and I don't like either on them.

100%
  • Options
    > @brendan16 said:
    >
    >
    >
    > Bollocks. Is that the political debate you want? You think it's funny because it's someone you disagree with on the receiving end.
    >
    > Problem is it starts with milkshakes - all hilarious fun if you are a teenager rather than an adult - with nothing being done and then it essentially makes physical attacks on all candidates for political office acceptable. It may be Farage today (or writing traitor on the MP for the Rhondda's offices as happened at the weekend) but your party candidate tomorrow and where do we go then - acid attacks or worse? Cos if you legitimise this (oh it’s so funny) and think it’s acceptable then it’s open season.
    >
    > If we can’t debate and just let voters decide we are in a pretty mess.

He’s spent years whipping up hatred. As you sow, so do you reap.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    > @Dura_Ace said:
    >
    >
    >
    > I do like how pelting fascists with emulsified fats and sugar is now our national sport.

It looks like he has over indulged in a particular game that is alleged to be played at boarding school, thought it looks like they all missed the biscuit. Must take him back to his days at Dulwich College.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    It makes me feel much more warmly towards Newcastle folk. It's a small inconvenience compared to the damage his disgusting posters wreaked on the reputation of the UK and the sensibilities of refugees everywhere.

This iconic photo reminds me of the one of the would-be rapist Carl Benjamin

https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2011/08/Dessau_by_Henri_Cartier_Bresson.jpg
  • Options
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    >
    > > 'Blue collar' is such a strange phrase. I thought it odd thirty years ago, but at least then you could vaguely relate to it. Nowadays it just seems quaint.
    >
    > It's weird isn't it? Especially in a meeting where everyone is wearing suits. Short of the odd security guard or prison officer does anyone wear a blue collar to work anymore?
    >
    > Actually I am wearing a blue shirt with a blue collar today! But I doubt if I'm quite what Ms McVey means.

I would never have guessed you were so trendy Richard. I wear white. Its one thing I don't have to think about in the morning.
  • Options
    Looking at https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/ is there any possibility whatsoever Jezza could lose his seat to the yellow peril next election ?

27,112 signatures from there.
  • Options

> @FF43 said:

> > @Mysticrose said:

>

>

> >

>

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

> Indeed. In a liberal democracy fascists, especially, need to be protected from having milkshakes thrown at them.

ya, you may need to look up the meaning of the word liberal
    I thought I did know the meaning of the word liberal. Please correct me ?
  • Options
    > @Roger said:
    > It makes me feel much more warmly towards Newcastle folk. It's a small inconvenience compared to the damage his disgusting posters wreaked on the reputation of the UK and the sensibilities of refugees everywhere.
    >
    > This iconic photo reminds me of the one of the would-be rapist Carl Benjamin
    >
    > https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2011/08/Dessau_by_Henri_Cartier_Bresson.jpg

so Roger perhaps you can give us guidance

when Heseltine got spray painted at Manchester Uni that was obviously justified, but now that he is a leading Remainer is it now an outrage ?
  • Options
    > @brendan16 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Problem is it starts with milkshakes - all hilarious fun if you are a teenager rather than an adult - with nothing being done and then it essentially makes physical attacks on all candidates for political office acceptable. It may be Farage today (or writing traitor on the MP for the Rhondda's offices as happened at the weekend) but your party candidate tomorrow and where do we go then - acid attacks or worse? Cos if you legitimise this (oh it’s so funny) and think it’s acceptable then it’s open season.
    >
    > If we can’t debate and just let voters decide we are in a pretty mess.

Do you think declaring Brexit being won 'without a single bullet being fired' just a week after a politician was murdered by 3 actual bullets being fired might be described as irresponsible, and being complicit in devaluing the seriousness of attacks on pols?
  • Options
    > @FF43 said:
    > > @FF43 said:
    >
    > > > @Mysticrose said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > Literally the best thing you will ever see on twitter
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > https://twitter.com/seddonnews/status/1130446247171710976
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > if thats the best thing Ill ever see Im glad I dont use it. Man gets milk on suit is hardly life changing, all it will do is generate sympathy for him.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Indeed. In a liberal democracy fascists, especially, need to be protected from having milkshakes thrown at them.
    >
    >
    >
    > ya, you may need to look up the meaning of the word liberal
    >
    > I thought I did know the meaning of the word liberal. Please correct me ?

I think the inference was that having a titter at fascists being dowsed in dairy products is not liberal.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    > @Mysticrose said:
    >

I’m thinking you don’t spend much time on Twitter.
  • Options
    > @FF43 said:
    > > @FF43 said:
    >
    > > > @Mysticrose said:
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > https://twitter.com/seddonnews/status/1130446247171710976
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > if thats the best thing Ill ever see Im glad I dont use it. Man gets milk on suit is hardly life changing, all it will do is generate sympathy for him.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Indeed. In a liberal democracy fascists, especially, need to be protected from having milkshakes thrown at them.
    >
    >
    >
    >

happy to help

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=liberal+meaning
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    > @DavidL said:
    > > @El_Capitano said:
    > > Because he has been around for long enough to know these pictures are guaranteed TV time and will do him no harm whatsoever?
    > >
    > > You mean he's...
    > >
    > > (pause)
    > >
    > > ...milking it?
    >
    > You are the cream of the crop today.

Whey to go.....
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Looking at https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/ is there any possibility whatsoever Jezza could lose his seat to the yellow peril next election ?
    >
    > 27,112 signatures from there.

No. If he goes it would be end of days scenario. Possibly with a new government formed almost entirely of people who have never even been MPs before.
  • Options
    > @Theuniondivvie said:
    > > @brendan16 said:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Bollocks. Is that the political debate you want? You think it's funny because it's someone you disagree with on the receiving end.
    > >
    > > Problem is it starts with milkshakes - all hilarious fun if you are a teenager rather than an adult - with nothing being done and then it essentially makes physical attacks on all candidates for political office acceptable. It may be Farage today (or writing traitor on the MP for the Rhondda's offices as happened at the weekend) but your party candidate tomorrow and where do we go then - acid attacks or worse? Cos if you legitimise this (oh it’s so funny) and think it’s acceptable then it’s open season.
    > >
    > > If we can’t debate and just let voters decide we are in a pretty mess.
    >
    >
    > Do you think declaring Brexit being won 'without a single bullet being fired' just a week after a politician was murdered by 3 actual bullets being fired might be described as irresponsible, and being complicit in devaluing the seriousness of attacks on pols?

Oh, do come on. There has been a long history of throwing eggs at politicians. It probably isn't a good thing, but while it is foodstuffs rather than bullets then it is part of life. I don't really approve even though it is Farrage, but he has made a very handsome living out of pissing lots of people off, so there can be few people more deserving of a little humiliation
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Looking at https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/ is there any possibility whatsoever Jezza could lose his seat to the yellow peril next election ?

27,112 signatures from there.

I was wondering about the Independent Liberal Brave New Green World Democratic Remain Alliance's chances in Inner London too. There's some whopping majorities to overturn but if we've learnt anything from 2015 we shouldn't discount the possibilities.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    >

Agreed. And even from the viewpoint of anti-Brexit campaigning, it's a stupid distraction. Does anyone say "Oh, Farage has had milk thrown at him, I won't vote Brexit after all"?
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Looking at https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/ is there any possibility whatsoever Jezza could lose his seat to the yellow peril next election ?
    >
    > 27,112 signatures from there.

that would be worth waiting up for. Sadly unlikely
  • Options

> @FF43 said:

> > @FF43 said:

>

> > > @Mysticrose said:

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

I think the inference was that having a titter at fascists being dowsed in dairy products is not liberal.
    Saying even fascists have the right to be milkshake-free is the epitome of liberalism, no?
This discussion has been closed.