Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s last-ditch bid to stop its Remain backing voters swit

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2019
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > I still await the outrage from the media over all these attacks on ring wing politicians. When it was Remainers getting horrid things shouted at them by Yellow Vest nutters, it was all about the potential for violence etc etc etc.
    > >
    > > Smashing an egg on Corbyn isn't acceptable, nor is throwing milkshakes over Farage...and I don't like either on them.
    >
    > Agreed. And even from the viewpoint of anti-Brexit campaigning, it's a stupid distraction. Does anyone say "Oh, Farage has had milk thrown at him, I won't vote Brexit after all"?

If anything, it probably has the opposite effect. The Great British public in the past seem to have had sympathy when politicians have been unfairly targeted / attack overstepped the mark e.g. Gordon Brown certainly got some when the media went OTT on some issues and Cameron got a lot of credit when the father of a disabled child (and Lib Dem activist) ambushed him and was incredibly unreasonable.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited May 2019
    In other beverage-dousing* news, this photo is exceptional.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/may/20/bayern-munich-celebrate-toughest-title-years-arjen-robben-franck-ribery-send-off-party#img-1

* Dowsing would be more useful, but, alas.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > I still await the outrage from the media over all these attacks on ring wing politicians. When it was Remainers getting horrid things shouted at them by Yellow Vest nutters, it was all about the potential for violence etc etc etc.
    > >
    > > Smashing an egg on Corbyn isn't acceptable, nor is throwing milkshakes over Farage...and I don't like either on them.
    >
    > Agreed. And even from the viewpoint of anti-Brexit campaigning, it's a stupid distraction. Does anyone say "Oh, Farage has had milk thrown at him, I won't vote Brexit after all"?

I regret to say Nick this is simply Remain blowing its chances.

weve now got to the food fight, can nobody on the Remain side articulate a series of positive arguments as to why we should stay in ? If the strongest case is we dont like Farage it's a lost battle.

Remain has gone from Project Fear to Project Farce.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @Alanbrooke said:
    > > @Roger said:
    > > It makes me feel much more warmly towards Newcastle folk. It's a small inconvenience compared to the damage his disgusting posters wreaked on the reputation of the UK and the sensibilities of refugees everywhere.
    > >
    > > This iconic photo reminds me of the one of the would-be rapist Carl Benjamin
    > >
    > > https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2011/08/Dessau_by_Henri_Cartier_Bresson.jpg
    >
    > so Roger perhaps you can give us guidance
    >
    > when Heseltine got spray painted at Manchester Uni that was obviously justified, but now that he is a leading Remainer is it now an outrage ?

Which just shows the hypocrisy on display here.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Interesting stats - who would you think was spending most money on social media advertising? Brexit Party? No, ChangeUK:

As the Press Association reports, data from the social media network showed Change UK spent a total of £107,442 on the platform in the 30 days from April 19. Nigel Farage’s party - currently leading in several polls - spent £95,222 over the same period, which ran until May 18. (guardian live blog)

Which, unless the election outcome is very different from the polls, shows that enthusiasm for social media adverts should be nuanced - you have to have something interesting to say...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    >
    > > Oops:
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://order-order.com/2019/05/20/peoples-vote-accept-offshore-donation-euros-vladimir-putin/
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I await with interest Leavers considering in detail the election law implications (and indeed tax law implications) of Nigel Farage's rent boy arrangement.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > For some reason their interest in election law seems to end when the waters lap around Leave's doors.
    >
    >
    >
    > What are the possible tax law implications? (Genuine question, this.)
    >
    > Part of a longer thread:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/Ray_McCann55/status/1130037467061587968

Thank you.
  • Options
    In a way, the most damning thing you can do to a particular politician in public is for everybody to ignore them.

e.g. The classic photo of John Prescott in the middle of Crewe and absolutely nobody wanting to listen to him.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited May 2019
    Here are the 25 seats with Remain > 70%:

Labour
    1. Hackney South and Shoreditch 37,931
    2. Bristol West 37,336
    3. Liverpool Riverside 35,947
    4. Hackney North and Stoke Newington 35,139
    5. Lewisham Deptford 34,899
    6. Islington North 33,215
    7. Hornsey & Wood Green 30,738
    8. Holborn and St Pancras 30,509
    9. Manchester Withington 29,875
    10. Dulwich and West Norwood 28,156
    11. Streatham 26,285
    12. Islington South and Finsbury 20,263
    13. Vauxhall 20,250
    14. Hampstead and Kilburn 15,560
    15. Tooting 15,458
    16. Ealing Cent and Acton 13,807
    17. Bermondsey and Old Southwark 12,972
    18. Cambridge 12,661
    19. Battersea 2,416
    Conservative
    1. Chelsea and Fulham 8,188
    2. Wimbledon 5,622
    3. Cities of London and Westminster 3,148
    4. Putney 1,554
    5. Richmond Park 45
    Green
    1. Brighton Pavilion 14,699
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited May 2019

Pulpstar said:

The milkshaking is creating an equivalence between all those who are assaulted by it.

Who'll be next - Boris ?

I'm not sure these minor assaults will have the effect those perpetrating them think it will.

I wonder which story the news will lead with - the funding allegations or the visual impact of the milkshake? And which is actually more damaging (tbh the funding stuff won't get traction at this point, but there is a real story there.)

Quite apart from the distastefulness of any such minor assault (and I said the same about the Corbyn egging) you are quite right that it says more about those who laugh at them than about the victims.

And, yes, Boris.
    I think he should have laughed it off rather than get into a huff. The light this kind of thing shines on the double standards of self proclaimed moderates is well worth the dry cleaning bill
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > Interesting stats - who would you think was spending most money on social media advertising? Brexit Party? No, ChangeUK:
    >
    > As the Press Association reports, data from the social media network showed Change UK spent a total of £107,442 on the platform in the 30 days from April 19. Nigel Farage’s party - currently leading in several polls - spent £95,222 over the same period, which ran until May 18. (guardian live blog)
    >
    > Which, unless the election outcome is very different from the polls, shows that enthusiasm for social media adverts should be nuanced - you have to have something interesting to say...

When Farage spends money it has dark and magical powers though.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    A woman in my office was excited about the milkshake and started advocating that someone should shoot Farage as they would be a hero. Thankfully no one was particularly enamored with her views. That's the kind of mindset a substantial minority on the fringes of politics have sadly.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Pulpstar said:

The milkshaking is creating an equivalence between all those who are assaulted by it.

Who'll be next - Boris ?

I'm not sure these minor assaults will have the effect those perpetrating them think it will.

The big question is what percentage of boys does this milkshaking bring to the yard?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    > @isam said:
    > The milkshaking is creating an equivalence between all those who are assaulted by it.
    >
    > Who'll be next - Boris ?
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm not sure these minor assaults will have the effect those perpetrating them think it will.
    >
    > I wonder which story the news will lead with - the funding allegations or the visual impact of the milkshake? And which is actually more damaging (tbh the funding stuff won't get traction at this point, but there is a real story there.)
    >
    > Quite apart from the distastefulness of any such minor assault (and I said the same about the Corbyn egging) you are quite right that it says more about those who laugh at them than about the victims.
    >
    > And, yes, Boris.
    >
    > I think he should have laughed it off rather than get into a huff. The light this kind of thing shines on the double standards of self proclaimed moderates is well worth the dry cleaning bill

A bill that Arron Banks is no doubt picking up anyway.
  • Options
    Actually, David Lammy's Tottenham (maj 34,584) belongs on that list as well. I was filtering by estimated Remain vote (67%) but we have an actual for that constituency of 24%.
  • Options
    > @Tissue_Price said:
    > Here are the 25 seats with Remain > 70%:
    >
    What list are you using? Edinburgh North & Leith is missing from it.
  • Options

Interesting stats - who would you think was spending most money on social media advertising? Brexit Party? No, ChangeUK:

As the Press Association reports, data from the social media network showed Change UK spent a total of £107,442 on the platform in the 30 days from April 19. Nigel Farage’s party - currently leading in several polls - spent £95,222 over the same period, which ran until May 18. (guardian live blog)

Which, unless the election outcome is very different from the polls, shows that enthusiasm for social media adverts should be nuanced - you have to have something interesting to say...

In which case all the parties are wasting their bloody money.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

He’s spent years whipping up hatred. As you sow, so do you reap.

He is a politician and has a political message. If hotheads choose to interpret his words as a call to action (and I agree that his EURef poster was vile) that is not his fault and is also a charge that could be laid at the door of many other politicians.

Whoever did this perpetrated a violent action against a politician and whether anyone thinks it ok that he got the equivalent of a bloody good hiding does not legitimate the action.

There, you have got me defending the fucker. That is what that milkshake did.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @isam
    > I think he should have laughed it off rather than get into a huff. The light this kind of thing shines on the double standards of self proclaimed moderates is well worth the dry cleaning bill

A bill that Arron Banks is no doubt picking up anyway.

Maybe, I don't really care
  • Options

> @Tissue_Price said:

> Here are the 25 seats with Remain > 70%:

>

What list are you using? Edinburgh North & Leith is missing from it.

Sorry, I forgot to say that I'd filtered out Scotland as well, as I don't think it's relevant to the point @Pulpstar was making.
  • Options
    > @TOPPING said:
    > He’s spent years whipping up hatred. As you sow, so do you reap.
    >
    > He is a politician and has a political message. If hotheads choose to interpret his words as a call to action (and I agree that his EURef poster was vile) that is not his fault and is also a charge that could be laid at the door of many other politicians.
    >
    > Whoever did this perpetrated a violent action against a politician and whether anyone thinks it ok that he got the equivalent of a bloody good hiding does not legitimate the action.
    >
    > There, you have got me defending the fucker. That is what that milkshake did.

I'd say people like Carole Cadwalladr and Jolyon Maugham have done far worse for whipping up division, hatred and lies. I don't advocate throwing milkshakes at them, by ignoring them you drive them of everything they crave.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > In a way, the most damning thing you can do to a particular politician in public is for everybody to ignore them.
    >
    > e.g. The classic photo of John Prescott in the middle of Crewe and absolutely nobody wanting to listen to him.

These moronic milkshake chuckers are cowards - fling and run.

They should go toe to toe for a fight - and risk getting a pasting like Prezza dished out.

But they wont as they are utter fannies.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > > It's a classic smear. Mention two "scandals" in the same breath and hope people think the two are connected and if they don't think that at least people might think that they are of the same seriousness.
    > > > >
    > > > > Paranoid much?
    > > > >
    > > > > It's a journalist reporting what is being talked about in Brussels.
    > > > >
    > > > > If she had said "party funding and Game of Thrones" would you have got your knickers in such a twist?
    > > >
    > > > Had it been Game of Thrones then I doubt @Cyclefree would have asked "are the two connected?"
    > >
    > > And you know what I think do you? And what I am likely to ask do you? I would not have understood any reference to Game of Thrones having never seen it and would likely have asked what she was referring to.
    > >
    > > Katya Adler is one of the few journalists I pay attention to. So comments from her on what she is hearing in Brussels are worth paying attention to and asking for some more information about.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > You're a very intelligent person. And yet you still fell for the trick. Why would there be a connection between a political scandal in Austria and an alleged scandal in the UK?

I don't know. That is why I asked the question.

It seems to me inherently implausible that Brussels is buzzing over the Brexit party receiving payments of £5.00 from people based overseas, not least because if they are on the electoral register there is no issue with this.

And, frankly, Brussels has plenty of other things to be buzzing about these days. So I was curious why Katya Adler wrote what she did. She strikes me as pretty level-headed. So I wondered if she was hearing matters that were not being reported in Britain.

I know - from my professional experience - that there are often considerable links between scandals in one country and stories in another. One of the frustrations is that, certainly in the financial world, these links and connections are not followed up properly, either by regulators or the press. So the possibility of there being a connection is not, based on my professional experience, inconceivable. Whether there is any connection at all or any evidence of a potential connection I have no idea.

Hence my question.

You should stop trying, vaguely, to impugn my motives for asking questions. I am an investigator. It is what I do.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Brom said:

A woman in my office was excited about the milkshake and started advocating that someone should shoot Farage as they would be a hero. Thankfully no one was particularly enamored with her views. That's the kind of mindset a substantial minority on the fringes of politics have sadly.

Yeah. That definitely happened.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    I’ve got to say I surprised that there seem to be so many ‘intelligent remainers’ who seem to think that throwing a milkshake at a ‘thick leaver’ is somehow winning an argument. Farage will milk this for all its worth
  • Options
    > @TOPPING said:
    > He’s spent years whipping up hatred. As you sow, so do you reap.
    >
    > He is a politician and has a political message. If hotheads choose to interpret his words as a call to action (and I agree that his EURef poster was vile) that is not his fault and is also a charge that could be laid at the door of many other politicians.
    >
    > Whoever did this perpetrated a violent action against a politician and whether anyone thinks it ok that he got the equivalent of a bloody good hiding does not legitimate the action.
    >
    > There, you have got me defending the fucker. That is what that milkshake did.

Of course it’s a rabble-rouser’s fault if a rabble is roused. The dairy intifada is as much his creation as anyone’s.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319
    My occasional readers (both of them) will know that as a younger man I was a soccer referee for about fifteen years. This occupation shares with politics the requirement that you have to get used to handling hostility from time to time and very occasionally are the target of missiles. These are almost invariably innocuous, but there's a short passage of time in which you assess the damage and just don't know how serious it is. Is that liquid running down your neck water, vanilla milkshake or H2SO4? Was the container cardboard, plastic or something more threatening?

It ain't funny. It's scary. It's never justified.

Think about it.
  • Options
    > @Tissue_Price said:
    >
    > Sorry, I forgot to say that I'd filtered out Scotland as well, as I don't think it's relevant to the point @Pulpstar was making.

Fair enough. It does strike me that Umunna has really mishandled the relationship with his constituency to have ended up on the wrong side of it when it voted so strongly for Remain.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    > @isam said:
    > The milkshaking is creating an equivalence between all those who are assaulted by it.
    >
    > Who'll be next - Boris ?
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm not sure these minor assaults will have the effect those perpetrating them think it will.
    >
    > I wonder which story the news will lead with - the funding allegations or the visual impact of the milkshake? And which is actually more damaging (tbh the funding stuff won't get traction at this point, but there is a real story there.)
    >
    > Quite apart from the distastefulness of any such minor assault (and I said the same about the Corbyn egging) you are quite right that it says more about those who laugh at them than about the victims.
    >
    > And, yes, Boris.
    >

He should have laughed it off (publicly anyway) but I imagine when it happens its a real shock and for those few initial seconds when you know you've been hit by something but you're not sure what it is you must feel scared and upset.

It must run through your mind is this milkshake? Is this paint? Is this acid?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Not acceptable to be chucking things at politicians .

However Farage stirred up a lot of hate during the EU ref campaign , sadly a milk shake wasn’t used against Jo Cox but a gun .

So Farage should quit trying to play the martyr , if he was such a tough guy he would have just continued but instead he ran off to his car .
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > The perpetrator:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/themadbrewery/status/1130443053913788417

well he won't be hard to unmask. Tweets suggest he's a Labour supporter.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @Norm said:
    > > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > > @eristdoof said:
    > > > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > > > FPT:-
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > What in Boris’s record suggests that he would be a good PM?
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Was his time as a very senior Cabinet Minister, for instance, marked by any particular successes or achievements?
    > > > >
    > > > > During his time as Foreign Secretary, he managed to annoy many overseas governments, and was a constant joke here in Germany. Lets say the polite opinion was "why was he given such an important job?".
    > > > >
    > > > > The UK will really be the laughing stock of western politics if he makes it to PM.
    > > >
    > > > This is the real issue with Boris.
    > > >
    > > > It is not whether he is an opportunist or duplicitous. Those descriptions apply to most politicians to some degree.
    > > > It is not that he is a Leave supporter. For many like me that would be an asset not a hindrance.
    > > >
    > > > In the end the real problem is he has an almost unique combination of laziness and incompetence which makes him utterly unsuited for any high (or perhaps even low) office. He would be a real disaster for this country if he actually got to be PM. Just as much as Corbyn but in a different way.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure you can second guess how good or bad a PM someone will make. A campaign will help and of course had Theresa May been subjected to one we might not have had the last three years of prime ministerial incompetence inflicted upon us. Equally many sang the praises of Gordon Brown before the realities of being in office quickly disabused them. Boris might be perceived as lazy (as some argue Churchill was) or incompetent (perhaps more due not getting to grips with fine detail) but as a prospective PM of our divided country in 2019 his attributes (good PR skills, a sense of positivity going forward) might be more important.
    >
    > I am basing my view on his time as Foreign Secretary which was simply execrable. I simply don't believe from that episode that he has the time or inclination to put in the minimum of work necessary to hold high office. Indeed his reliance on PR skills and positivity may well be the very reason why he has not bothered to develop any of the other skills that actually matter.

There is some argument that he is at his best being a keyboard warrior - he has written some thoughtful articles on Brexit and many other issues (he is a journalist after all)- who might not adapt well to the varied and unpredictable demands of being a PM where you need to think quickly on your feet. If that is so you may be correct in saying his stint as Foreign Secretary could be a foretaste of that. It is though quite difficult to be absolutely sure - cometh the hour cometh the man and all that. Some step up, some crumble. If he make the final two I hope his opponent proves a real challenge.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Has May unveiled her exciting, bold new failure yet?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited May 2019
    > @Brom said:
    > > @TOPPING said:
    > > He’s spent years whipping up hatred. As you sow, so do you reap.
    > >
    > > He is a politician and has a political message. If hotheads choose to interpret his words as a call to action (and I agree that his EURef poster was vile) that is not his fault and is also a charge that could be laid at the door of many other politicians.
    > >
    > > Whoever did this perpetrated a violent action against a politician and whether anyone thinks it ok that he got the equivalent of a bloody good hiding does not legitimate the action.
    > >
    > > There, you have got me defending the fucker. That is what that milkshake did.
    >
    > I'd say people like Carole Cadwalladr and Jolyon Maugham have done far worse for whipping up division, hatred and lies. I don't advocate throwing milkshakes at them, by ignoring them you drive them of everything they crave.

Thank goodness ol' Jolyon & Carole never said that they'd be donning khaki and picking up a rifle. Then we'd know we were really in trouble.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

My occasional readers (both of them) will know that as a younger man I was a soccer referee for about fifteen years. This occupation shares with politics the requirement that you have to get used to handling hostility from time to time and very occasionally are the target of missiles. These are almost invariably innocuous, but there's a short passage of time in which you assess the damage and just don't know how serious it is. Is that liquid running down your neck water, vanilla milkshake or H2SO4? Was the container cardboard, plastic or something more threatening?

It ain't funny. It's scary. It's never justified.

Think about it.

Yes, and in any case any kind of sudden attack on you, even if objectively relatively harmless, causes an immediate emotional reaction. It's just not acceptable behaviour, and never has been.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > A woman in my office was excited about the milkshake and started advocating that someone should shoot Farage as they would be a hero. Thankfully no one was particularly enamored with her views. That's the kind of mindset a substantial minority on the fringes of politics have sadly.
    >
    > Yeah. That definitely happened.

Well

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2015-03-22/farage-brands-protestors-scum-after-being-attacked-in-kent-pub/

Now swap that around for Corbyn attacked in local pub by a group of neon axis and we’d never hear th end of it. There is something about Farage that makes some people lose all sense of reason. When they attack him he looks like he is a victim and his views are being suppressed.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    > @FF43 said:
    > > @FF43 said:
    >
    > > > @FF43 said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > @Mysticrose said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > Literally the best thing you will ever see on twitter
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/seddonnews/status/1130446247171710976
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > if thats the best thing Ill ever see Im glad I dont use it. Man gets milk on suit is hardly life changing, all it will do is generate sympathy for him.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > Indeed. In a liberal democracy fascists, especially, need to be protected from having milkshakes thrown at them.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > ya, you may need to look up the meaning of the word liberal
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I thought I did know the meaning of the word liberal. Please correct me ?
    >
    >
    >
    > I think the inference was that having a titter at fascists being dowsed in dairy products is not liberal.
    >
    > Saying even fascists have the right to be milkshake-free is the epitome of liberalism, no?

Is Nigel Farage a fascist, really?

Pathetic.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Probably can’t delete it while he is in police custody.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    > @Nemtynakht said:
    > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > A woman in my office was excited about the milkshake and started advocating that someone should shoot Farage as they would be a hero. Thankfully no one was particularly enamored with her views. That's the kind of mindset a substantial minority on the fringes of politics have sadly.
    > >
    > > Yeah. That definitely happened.
    >
    > Well
    >
    > https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2015-03-22/farage-brands-protestors-scum-after-being-attacked-in-kent-pub/
    >
    > Now swap that around for Corbyn attacked in local pub by a group of neon axis and we’d never hear th end of it. There is something about Farage that makes some people lose all sense of reason. When they attack him he looks like he is a victim and his views are being suppressed.

I said this yesterday.

Imagine if Vince Cable or David Lammy got milkshaked by a Leaver? It would be the number one news item on the BBC and the poilice would be involved.
  • Options
    > @DavidL said:
    > > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > > 'Blue collar' is such a strange phrase. I thought it odd thirty years ago, but at least then you could vaguely relate to it. Nowadays it just seems quaint.
    >
    > It's weird isn't it? Especially in a meeting where everyone is wearing suits. Short of the odd security guard or prison officer does anyone wear a blue collar to work anymore?

Presumably if you wear nice pale blue cotton poplin shirts you do.

Blue shirts are usually more flattering to men than white. This fashion tip is brought to you by someone who has no shirts, whether blue or white, to her name.
  • Options
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > A woman in my office was excited about the milkshake and started advocating that someone should shoot Farage as they would be a hero. Thankfully no one was particularly enamored with her views. That's the kind of mindset a substantial minority on the fringes of politics have sadly.
    >
    > Yeah. That definitely happened.

100% her name is Nicola, she's a lesbian and she works for a FTSE 100 company. I can give you a lot more details if for some reason you were interested, but that's by the by. There are a lot more people with these views than you think, you often only need to take a look at their social media profiles to see how detached from reality they can become due to anger.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Why (other than his teaching commitments) has @ydoethur not been on here railing against the despicable act ?

I refer, of course, to the misuse of ‘literally’.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Not acceptable to be chucking things at politicians .

However Farage stirred up a lot of hate during the EU ref campaign , sadly a milk shake wasn’t used against Jo Cox but a gun .

So Farage should quit trying to play the martyr , if he was such a tough guy he would have just continued but instead he ran off to his car .

Looked like he was walking to me. In any case, would you want to continue working while wearing half a milkshake? No doubt he went to get changed....
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Double post.
  • Options

Of course it’s a rabble-rouser’s fault if a rabble is roused. The dairy intifada is as much his creation as anyone’s.

Where does rabble rouser end and conviction politician begin?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    > @RobD said:
    > The perpetrator:
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/themadbrewery/status/1130443053913788417
    >
    >
    >
    > Probably can’t delete it while he is in police custody.<

+++++

I'm curious about that tweet. He seems very confident he won't get arrested. What is the law on all this? e.g. Did the guy who egged Corbyn get handcuffed?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Anyway, looks like TSE's best friend has leaked this evening's Welsh Political Barometer results;

https://twitter.com/MarkReckless/status/1130453318558470146
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The guy has been named as Paul Crowther, looks exactly like you would imagine him to look. Works at Sky (or rather did work at Sky).
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited May 2019
    > @TOPPING said:
    > Of course it’s a rabble-rouser’s fault if a rabble is roused. The dairy intifada is as much his creation as anyone’s.
    >
    > Where does rabble rouser end and conviction politician begin?

I think he's calling you "rabble" Mr T :-)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    > @Byronic said:
    >
    > I'm curious about that tweet. He seems very confident he won't get arrested. What is the law on all this? e.g. Did the guy who egged Corbyn get handcuffed?
    >
    >

He was arrested.

https://twitter.com/tommywilkinson/status/1130461476769157120
  • Options
    Byronic said:

> @RobD said:

> The perpetrator:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

+++++

I'm curious about that tweet. He seems very confident he won't get arrested. What is the law on all this? e.g. Did the guy who egged Corbyn get handcuffed?
    Given that he thinks throwing milkshake over someone is a way to conduct political debate, it doesn’t surprise me if he would be too thick to appreciate the consequences of his actions.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > My occasional readers (both of them) will know that as a younger man I was a soccer referee for about fifteen years. This occupation shares with politics the requirement that you have to get used to handling hostility from time to time and very occasionally are the target of missiles. These are almost invariably innocuous, but there's a short passage of time in which you assess the damage and just don't know how serious it is. Is that liquid running down your neck water, vanilla milkshake or H2SO4? Was the container cardboard, plastic or something more threatening?
    >
    > It ain't funny. It's scary. It's never justified.
    >
    >
    > Think about it.
    >
    > Yes, and in any case any kind of sudden attack on you, even if objectively relatively harmless, causes an immediate emotional reaction. It's just not acceptable behaviour, and never has been.

Thanks Richard. That is exactly the point. In the moment you are hit you have absolutely no idea what you have been hit by. If you knew in advance what was coming it still wouldn't be fun but it would be a darn sight less scary. That ugly awful moment when you know you have been hit but you don't know by what is a bad one. Don't care who is on the receiving end. It's frightening, it's wrong.
  • Options

Anyway, looks like TSE's best friend has leaked this evening's Welsh Political Barometer results;

https://twitter.com/MarkReckless/status/1130453318558470146

That’s a huge lead. :o
  • Options
    Look: the really important question is why anyone over the age of, ooh about 6, would drink a milkshake.

Aren't milkshakes the equivalent of cappuccinos with chocolate on top i.e. disgusting drinks but useful as a way of identifying British people without having to hear them speak?

(I realise, of course, that were I ever to stand for office I have now lost the @Nigelb and @DavidL vote and the milkshake vote unless I indulge in some shameless Boris-style reverse ferret.)
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    > @Brom said:
    > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > A woman in my office was excited about the milkshake and started advocating that someone should shoot Farage as they would be a hero. Thankfully no one was particularly enamored with her views. That's the kind of mindset a substantial minority on the fringes of politics have sadly.
    > >
    > > Yeah. That definitely happened.
    >
    > 100% her name is Nicola, she's a lesbian and she works for a FTSE 100 company. I can give you a lot more details if for some reason you were interested, but that's by the by. There are a lot more people with these views than you think, you often only need to take a look at their social media profiles to see how detached from reality they can become due to anger.

If asked to justify herself then I could well imagine that she might claim that Farage holds bigoted views equivalent to those of neo-nazi extremists.

And a mainstream political party is encouraging her to believe precisely that. See thread header.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Brom said:

The guy has been named as Paul Crowther, looks exactly like you would imagine him to look. Works at Sky (or rather did work at Sky).

Lost his job and a criminal record? Things are looking up. :smiley:
  • Options
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > Anyway, looks like TSE's best friend has leaked this evening's Welsh Political Barometer results;
    >
    > https://twitter.com/MarkReckless/status/1130453318558470146

Blimey! :D
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @Byronic said:
    > >
    > > I'm curious about that tweet. He seems very confident he won't get arrested. What is the law on all this? e.g. Did the guy who egged Corbyn get handcuffed?
    > >
    > >
    >
    > He was arrested.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/tommywilkinson/status/1130461476769157120<;

++++++

Thanks. Wonder what they'll do to him. Arguably the state has an interest in handing out a deterrent sentence, in case this craze gets out of hand.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    > @Norm said:

> There is some argument that he is at his best being a keyboard warrior - he has written some thoughtful articles on Brexit and many other issues (he is a journalist after all)- who might not adapt well to the varied and unpredictable demands of being a PM where you need to think quickly on your feet. If that is so you may be correct in saying his stint as Foreign Secretary could be a foretaste of that. It is though quite difficult to be absolutely sure - cometh the hour cometh the man and all that. Some step up, some crumble. If he make the final two I hope his opponent proves a real challenge.

-------------

I would agree that you can't really judge someone completely based on their past performance and that Boris may surprise. I just doubt it is going to happen. He likes to compare himself to Churchill but Winston displayed a lot of personal and political courage even if he was not the nicest of people at times. Boris seems to have the worst bits of Churchill - the ambition and ruthlessness - without any of the god bits.

Indeed I can't see Churchill having passed up the golden opportunity to become PM in the way that Boris did.
  • Options
    > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > Good afternoon, everyone.
    >
    > Has May unveiled her exciting, bold new failure yet?

Unveiled, ignored and dismissed.

And we didn't even notice. :)
  • Options
    £5.25 for a milkshake ?!
  • Options
    > @TOPPING said:
    > Of course it’s a rabble-rouser’s fault if a rabble is roused. The dairy intifada is as much his creation as anyone’s.
    >
    > Where does rabble rouser end and conviction politician begin?

That’s not a question that has ever troubled Nigel Farage before.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > £5.25 for a milkshake ?!

In Newcastle, too!
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > Good afternoon, everyone.
    >
    > Has May unveiled her exciting, bold new failure yet?

How good is that withdrawal agreement?
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:

You have obviously never been to Five Guys, where a burger, fries and a milkshake will set you back £15-20. Sort of place George Osborne will get his lunch ;-)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

£5.25 for a milkshake ?!

Nige deserves the best. :D
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, cheers.

This milkshake nonsense is pathetic.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The phoney, high moral ground, centrist liberalism of not just taking out Jihadi John, or leaving Shamima Begum to rot in Syria etc because “We’re better than that” disintegrates when it comes to condemning assault on someone they lose a democratic vote to

Can’t put a price on that disinfectant
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @brokenwheel said:
    > > Anyway, looks like TSE's best friend has leaked this evening's Welsh Political Barometer results;
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/MarkReckless/status/1130453318558470146
    >
    > Blimey! :D

That's not much change on the previous YouGov poll. It was BXP 35, Plaid 19 in that one.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    > @Byronic said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > @Byronic said:
    > > >
    > > > I'm curious about that tweet. He seems very confident he won't get arrested. What is the law on all this? e.g. Did the guy who egged Corbyn get handcuffed?
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > He was arrested.
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/tommywilkinson/status/1130461476769157120<;
    >
    > ++++++
    >
    > Thanks. Wonder what they'll do to him. Arguably the state has an interest in handing out a deterrent sentence, in case this craze gets out of hand.

"My milkshake brings all the boys from the Yard...."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @Norm said:
    >
    > > There is some argument that he is at his best being a keyboard warrior - he has written some thoughtful articles on Brexit and many other issues (he is a journalist after all)- who might not adapt well to the varied and unpredictable demands of being a PM where you need to think quickly on your feet. If that is so you may be correct in saying his stint as Foreign Secretary could be a foretaste of that. It is though quite difficult to be absolutely sure - cometh the hour cometh the man and all that. Some step up, some crumble. If he make the final two I hope his opponent proves a real challenge.
    >
    > -------------
    >
    > I would agree that you can't really judge someone completely based on their past performance and that Boris may surprise. I just doubt it is going to happen. He likes to compare himself to Churchill but Winston displayed a lot of personal and political courage even if he was not the nicest of people at times. Boris seems to have the worst bits of Churchill - the ambition and ruthlessness - without any of the god bits.
    >
    > Indeed I can't see Churchill having passed up the golden opportunity to become PM in the way that Boris did.

Churchill’s second letter making the case for appeasement has certainly never surfaced.
  • Options
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > @Byronic said:
    > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > @Byronic said:
    > > > >
    > > > > I'm curious about that tweet. He seems very confident he won't get arrested. What is the law on all this? e.g. Did the guy who egged Corbyn get handcuffed?
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > He was arrested.
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/tommywilkinson/status/1130461476769157120<;
    > >
    > > ++++++
    > >
    > > Thanks. Wonder what they'll do to him. Arguably the state has an interest in handing out a deterrent sentence, in case this craze gets out of hand.
    >
    > "My milkshake brings all the boys from the Yard...."

The Corbyn assaulter was jailed I believe too.
  • Options

> @Byronic said:

> > @williamglenn said:

> > > @Byronic said:

> > >

> > > I'm curious about that tweet. He seems very confident he won't get arrested. What is the law on all this? e.g. Did the guy who egged Corbyn get handcuffed?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > He was arrested.

> >

> >

>

> ++++++

>

> Thanks. Wonder what they'll do to him. Arguably the state has an interest in handing out a deterrent sentence, in case this craze gets out of hand.

"My milkshake brings all the boys from the Yard...."
    Very good! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Back in my long distant uni days a guy from an organisation called the Freedom Association was speaking. Suddenly there was a cry of "this man is odious" and a large flour bomb immediately caught him square on the chest. It was surprising and slightly shocking. The poor guy was very shaken. Disappointing some people in this forum condone such behaviour today.
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > Look: the really important question is why anyone over the age of, ooh about 6, would drink a milkshake.
    >
    > Aren't milkshakes the equivalent of cappuccinos with chocolate on top i.e. disgusting drinks but useful as a way of identifying British people without having to hear them speak?
    >
    > (I realise, of course, that were I ever to stand for office I have now lost the @Nigelb and @DavidL vote and the milkshake vote unless I indulge in some shameless Boris-style reverse ferret.)<

+++++

Have you seen Paul Crowther's photo? He doesn't look like a man who cares about calories. Or gets much sex, either, TBH.

https://twitter.com/conorh_96/status/1130461937278619648
  • Options
    Byronic said:

> @RobD said:

> The perpetrator:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

+++++

He is very close to Monument metro (Newcastle tube) station – surprised he didn't use that as a means of escape and hide out in Tynemouth.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    > @Norm said:
    > Back in my long distant uni days a guy from an organisation called the Freedom Association was speaking. Suddenly there was a cry of "this man is odious" and a large flower bomb immediately caught him square on the chest. It was surprising and slightly shocking. The poor guy was very shaken. Disappointing some people in this forum condone such behaviour today.

Flour bomb perhaps?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Atrocious poll for Labour in Wales .

Now over taken by PC . Corbyns fence sitting masterplan working wonders !
  • Options
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > @Norm said:
    > >
    > > > There is some argument that he is at his best being a keyboard warrior - he has written some thoughtful articles on Brexit and many other issues (he is a journalist after all)- who might not adapt well to the varied and unpredictable demands of being a PM where you need to think quickly on your feet. If that is so you may be correct in saying his stint as Foreign Secretary could be a foretaste of that. It is though quite difficult to be absolutely sure - cometh the hour cometh the man and all that. Some step up, some crumble. If he make the final two I hope his opponent proves a real challenge.
    > >
    > > -------------
    > >
    > > I would agree that you can't really judge someone completely based on their past performance and that Boris may surprise. I just doubt it is going to happen. He likes to compare himself to Churchill but Winston displayed a lot of personal and political courage even if he was not the nicest of people at times. Boris seems to have the worst bits of Churchill - the ambition and ruthlessness - without any of the god bits.
    > >
    > > Indeed I can't see Churchill having passed up the golden opportunity to become PM in the way that Boris did.
    >
    > Churchill’s second letter making the case for appeasement has certainly never surfaced.

LOL. Indeed. I may not have agreed with all of Churchill's principles and beliefs but at least he had some. I am not sure the same can be said for Boris.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

> @Pulpstar said:

In Newcastle, too!

> @Pulpstar said:

You have obviously never been to Five Guys, where a burger, fries and a milkshake will set you back £15-20. Sort of place George Osborne will get his lunch ;-)

Looks like an overpriced McDonalds where you think the food is better than it is because it is more expensive.
  • Options
    > @Peter_the_Punter said:

> >
    > >
    > > Think about it.
    > >
    > > Yes, and in any case any kind of sudden attack on you, even if objectively relatively harmless, causes an immediate emotional reaction. It's just not acceptable behaviour, and never has been.
    >
    > Thanks Richard. That is exactly the point. In the moment you are hit you have absolutely no idea what you have been hit by. If you knew in advance what was coming it still wouldn't be fun but it would be a darn sight less scary. That ugly awful moment when you know you have been hit but you don't know by what is a bad one. Don't care who is on the receiving end. It's frightening, it's wrong.<

++++

Well said.
  • Options
    > @Ishmael_Z said:
    > > @Norm said:
    > > Back in my long distant uni days a guy from an organisation called the Freedom Association was speaking. Suddenly there was a cry of "this man is odious" and a large flower bomb immediately caught him square on the chest. It was surprising and slightly shocking. The poor guy was very shaken. Disappointing some people in this forum condone such behaviour today.
    >
    > Flour bomb perhaps?

Indeed so;-).
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    >
    > > £5.25 for a milkshake ?!
    >
    >
    >
    > In Newcastle, too!
    >
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    >
    > > £5.25 for a milkshake ?!
    >
    >
    >
    > You have obviously never been to Five Guys, where a burger, fries and a milkshake will set you back £15-20. Sort of place George Osborne will get his lunch ;-)
    >
    > Looks like an overpriced McDonalds where you think the food is better than it is because it is more expensive.

It is better, but yes, it is clearly marketed "upwards" in the UK. In America it is only a bit more expensive than McDonalds or BK.
  • Options
    > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > >
    > > > £5.25 for a milkshake ?!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > In Newcastle, too!
    > >
    > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > You have obviously never been to Five Guys, where a burger, fries and a milkshake will set you back £15-20. Sort of place George Osborne will get his lunch ;-)
    > >
    > > Looks like an overpriced McDonalds where you think the food is better than it is because it is more expensive.
    >
    > It is better, but yes, it is clearly marketed "upwards" in the UK. In America it is only a bit more expensive than McDonalds or BK.

IMO, its much better in the US than it is in the UK.
  • Options

That’s not a question that has ever troubled Nigel Farage before.

I don't take Nigel Farage as my political role or behavioural model.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Back in my long distant uni days a guy from an organisation called the Freedom Association was speaking. Suddenly there was a cry of "this man is odious" and a large flour bomb immediately caught him square on the chest. It was surprising and slightly shocking. The poor guy was very shaken. Disappointing some people in this forum condone such behaviour today.

Didn’t you get the memo? Farage is a fascist and deserves every milkshake he gets.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    > @Byronic said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > Look: the really important question is why anyone over the age of, ooh about 6, would drink a milkshake.
    > >
    > > Aren't milkshakes the equivalent of cappuccinos with chocolate on top i.e. disgusting drinks but useful as a way of identifying British people without having to hear them speak?
    > >
    > > (I realise, of course, that were I ever to stand for office I have now lost the @Nigelb and @DavidL vote and the milkshake vote unless I indulge in some shameless Boris-style reverse ferret.)<
    >
    > +++++
    >
    > Have you seen Paul Crowther's photo? He doesn't look like a man who cares about calories. Or gets much sex, either, TBH.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/conorh_96/status/1130461937278619648

He looks like he consumes W-A-Y more than he chucks.....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

£5.25 for a milkshake ?!

That's fairly standard down here. And Newcastle is an expensive city these days – as it has become fashionable. My wife is from there and it's notably only slightly cheaper for a night out than London.
  • Options
    I couldn't stand him as a politician but on a personal level there was something very satisfying about Prescott's instinctive reaction when he got egged.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Farage should just pour one over himself in the next leaverstan shit hole on the schedule to spike the guns of the milkshake militia. Banks can front him the £5.25.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

> @Cyclefree said:

> Look: the really important question is why anyone over the age of, ooh about 6, would drink a milkshake.

>

> Aren't milkshakes the equivalent of cappuccinos with chocolate on top i.e. disgusting drinks but useful as a way of identifying British people without having to hear them speak?

>

> (I realise, of course, that were I ever to stand for office I have now lost the @Nigelb and @DavidL vote and the milkshake vote unless I indulge in some shameless Boris-style reverse ferret.)<

+++++

Have you seen Paul Crowther's photo? He doesn't look like a man who cares about calories. Or gets much sex, either, TBH.

😂🤣😂
  • Options

> @TheWhiteRabbit said:

> > @Pulpstar said:

> > > @Pulpstar said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > In Newcastle, too!

> >

> > > @Pulpstar said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > You have obviously never been to Five Guys, where a burger, fries and a milkshake will set you back £15-20. Sort of place George Osborne will get his lunch ;-)

> >

> > Looks like an overpriced McDonalds where you think the food is better than it is because it is more expensive.

>

> It is better, but yes, it is clearly marketed "upwards" in the UK. In America it is only a bit more expensive than McDonalds or BK.

IMO, its much better in the US than it is in the UK.

Five Guys (UK) is poor – completely overpriced and overhyped. The other standard 'gourmet' burger chains are all superior to it.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited May 2019
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > >
    > > > > £5.25 for a milkshake ?!
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > In Newcastle, too!
    > > >
    > > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > >
    > > > > £5.25 for a milkshake ?!
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > You have obviously never been to Five Guys, where a burger, fries and a milkshake will set you back £15-20. Sort of place George Osborne will get his lunch ;-)
    > > >
    > > > Looks like an overpriced McDonalds where you think the food is better than it is because it is more expensive.
    > >
    > > It is better, but yes, it is clearly marketed "upwards" in the UK. In America it is only a bit more expensive than McDonalds or BK.
    >
    > IMO, its much better in the US than it is in the UK.

Well, in my mind, something that's roughly a third cheaper always tastes better :)
  • Options
    > @TOPPING said:
    > That’s not a question that has ever troubled Nigel Farage before.
    >
    > I don't take Nigel Farage as my political role or behavioural model.

Then you will understand why I don’t have the slightest sympathy for a man who has been a major contributor to the current political climate. It turns out if you talk of traitors and whip up hatred, your opponents respond to the stimuli.

The country is much the worse for it, of course.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, stimuli like being called xenophobes?
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @brokenwheel said:
    > > > Anyway, looks like TSE's best friend has leaked this evening's Welsh Political Barometer results;
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/MarkReckless/status/1130453318558470146
    > >
    > > Blimey! :D
    >
    > That's not much change on the previous YouGov poll. It was BXP 35, Plaid 19 in that one.

Still a shocking poll though.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > @TOPPING said:
    > > That’s not a question that has ever troubled Nigel Farage before.
    > >
    > > I don't take Nigel Farage as my political role or behavioural model.
    >
    > Then you will understand why I don’t have the slightest sympathy for a man who has been a major contributor to the current political climate. It turns out if you talk of traitors and whip up hatred, your opponents respond to the stimuli.
    >
    > The country is much the worse for it, of course.

Do you have any problem with Guy Verhofstadt using the word traitor?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Back in November 2013, I was walking along one of the slip-roads on the ringway in Coventry, the evening before I was due to start work at Warwick Uni (I left there in September last year), when suddenly a car sped by, and someone used (what was presumably) a water pistol to shoot some liquid or other at me that happened to land almost right in my ear. In a panic, I ran over to a nearby public loos to wash my ear, but thankfully it seemed to be nothing more than water.

But suppose, just suppose, it had been wee, or even worse, acid?
  • Options
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > I couldn't stand him as a politician but on a personal level there was something very satisfying about Prescott's instinctive reaction when he got egged.

The ex-boxers in the audience will also have recognised a fairly educated straight left.

In the circumstances, I don't think his response was excessive.
This discussion has been closed.