Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s last-ditch bid to stop its Remain backing voters swit

1235»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    Feels like we are veering into “women who wear short skirts are fair game for sexual assault” territory on here with regard to who is and isn’t entitled to sympathy for being physically attacked
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @DavidL said:
    > > > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > > > 'Blue collar' is such a strange phrase. I thought it odd thirty years ago, but at least then you could vaguely relate to it. Nowadays it just seems quaint.
    > >
    > > It's weird isn't it? Especially in a meeting where everyone is wearing suits. Short of the odd security guard or prison officer does anyone wear a blue collar to work anymore?
    >
    >
    > Presumably if you wear nice pale blue cotton poplin shirts you do.
    >
    > Blue shirts are usually more flattering to men than white. This fashion tip is brought to you by someone who has no shirts, whether blue or white, to her name.

At the risk of showing myself to be a sexist dinosaur as well as a chocolate cappuccino drinker men’s clothing should be functional and reasonably smart. Women have much greater licence.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    >
    > > £5.25 for a milkshake ?!
    >
    > In Newcastle, too!
    >
    > You have obviously never been to Five Guys, where a burger, fries and a milkshake will set you back £15-20. Sort of place George Osborne will get his lunch ;-)
    >
    > Looks like an overpriced McDonalds where you think the food is better than it is because it is more expensive.

Went to one in the States and it wasn't much more than a McDonalds and I thought it was very good. Went to one in London and thought it was thoroughly overpriced.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    > @_Anazina_ said:
    >
    > Five Guys (UK) is poor – completely overpriced and overhyped. The other standard 'gourmet' burger chains are all superior to it.

In the US it's good because you feel like you're getting a better product with no pretensions, but the UK version seems to have created the opposite effect.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Says the worlds worst comedian who can’t even think of a witty retort when someone says he only has one (bad) joke

Still waiting for the phone to ring for that one big break... 🙈
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Speaking of old-fashioned stuff, I was leafing through some newspapers from the 30s and 40s, as one does, and saw one or two cracking adverts.

One was for White Point (or something similar), with the ad effectively being a housewife taking a break after breakfast but before lunch, and enjoying a glass of wine :p
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    > @isam said:
    > Feels like we are veering into “women who wear short skirts are fair game for sexual assault” territory on here with regard to who is and isn’t entitled to sympathy for being physically attacked

Of course politicians shouldn't be assaulted, especially not at a time when we have had one MP killed, another threatened with death and loons who throw acid at people.

To my mind the recent attack on Corbyn was the most potentially serious because the man actually hit him quite hard with the egg and if that had been a knife it could have been much worse.

But all my life there have been occasions when politicians have had flour and eggs hurled at them - didn't Keith Joseph regularly get pelted with the stuff?

Deplorable as it is, this isn't some hideously horrible new development.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @DavidL said:
    > > > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > > > 'Blue collar' is such a strange phrase. I thought it odd thirty years ago, but at least then you could vaguely relate to it. Nowadays it just seems quaint.
    > >
    > > It's weird isn't it? Especially in a meeting where everyone is wearing suits. Short of the odd security guard or prison officer does anyone wear a blue collar to work anymore?
    >
    >
    > Presumably if you wear nice pale blue cotton poplin shirts you do.
    >
    > Blue shirts are usually more flattering to men than white. This fashion tip is brought to you by someone who has no shirts, whether blue or white, to her name.

I thought that "Blue Collar" meant "working class" and blue referred to the overalls.
    White collar is then the kind of job where you wear a standard man's white shirt with buttons and a collar (with or without a tie). I often see these two categories with a third called "professional", which I always think is condescending to those with a profession but not in the "professional classes".
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    > @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1130463023280398336
    >
    >
    >
    > Says the worlds worst comedian who can’t even think of a witty retort when someone says he only has one (bad) joke
    >
    > Still waiting for the phone to ring for that one big break... 🙈

He makes a few quid from sending in jokes to quiz shows and spends his life on twitter. In no way is he a comedian.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > >
    > > > £5.25 for a milkshake ?!
    > >
    > > In Newcastle, too!
    > >
    > > You have obviously never been to Five Guys, where a burger, fries and a milkshake will set you back £15-20. Sort of place George Osborne will get his lunch ;-)
    > >
    > > Looks like an overpriced McDonalds where you think the food is better than it is because it is more expensive.
    >
    > Went to one in the States and it wasn't much more than a McDonalds and I thought it was very good. Went to one in London and thought it was thoroughly overpriced.<

+++++

I suspect that milkshake will cost him a lot more than £5.25. He's been completely doxxed on Twitter, he's had to delete his Facebook account, his social media history is being scrutinized by the Offence Gestapo, and it looks like he will lose his job on Sky.

What a twit. And announcing it all on social media?!
  • Options
    Incidentally, The Witcher 3 DLC is less than half price currently (PS4).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    > @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1130463023280398336
    >
    >
    >
    > Says the worlds worst comedian who can’t even think of a witty retort when someone says he only has one (bad) joke
    >

Since you say almost exactly the same thing whenever Felton comes up, one might consider that the pot calling the kettle black. Or that you're a bit obsessed.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    > @Scott_P said:
    > Ask not for whom the bell tolls...
    >
    > https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1130470539343089664

I thought he would have already swung out of the Tory Party on a vine, like Tarzan :)
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    > @Scott_P said:
    > Ask not for whom the bell tolls...
    >
    > https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1130470539343089664

Heseltine is a fraud who only veered to the left in Tory party terms after Maggie came to power and put a block on his ambitions (which included becoming leader of the Tory party).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Scott_P said:
    I thought the European Parliament had been dissolved. Why is she still calling herself an MEP?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @DavidL said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @DavidL said:
    > > > > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > > > > 'Blue collar' is such a strange phrase. I thought it odd thirty years ago, but at least then you could vaguely relate to it. Nowadays it just seems quaint.
    > > >
    > > > It's weird isn't it? Especially in a meeting where everyone is wearing suits. Short of the odd security guard or prison officer does anyone wear a blue collar to work anymore?
    > >
    > >
    > > Presumably if you wear nice pale blue cotton poplin shirts you do.
    > >
    > > Blue shirts are usually more flattering to men than white. This fashion tip is brought to you by someone who has no shirts, whether blue or white, to her name.
    >
    > At the risk of showing myself to be a sexist dinosaur as well as a chocolate cappuccino drinker men’s clothing should be functional and reasonably smart. Women have much greater licence.

We are worth it. :)

Pale blue is generally more flattering than white, especially if you have a tan or are blond. It can look great with silver too. If you are dark haired it can make you look unbearably gorgeous.

Dark blue is much much more flattering than black.

Black and white mostly wash people out unless they are deliberately going for the Goth look or do wonderful things with make up. Or the material adds something eg velvet or taffeta.

But there again velvet suits for men are probably not comme il faut in most lawyers' chambers.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    > @eristdoof said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @DavidL said:
    > > > > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > > > > 'Blue collar' is such a strange phrase. I thought it odd thirty years ago, but at least then you could vaguely relate to it. Nowadays it just seems quaint.
    > > >
    > > > It's weird isn't it? Especially in a meeting where everyone is wearing suits. Short of the odd security guard or prison officer does anyone wear a blue collar to work anymore?
    > >
    > >
    > > Presumably if you wear nice pale blue cotton poplin shirts you do.
    > >
    > > Blue shirts are usually more flattering to men than white. This fashion tip is brought to you by someone who has no shirts, whether blue or white, to her name.
    >
    > I thought that "Blue Collar" meant "working class" and blue referred to the overalls.
    > White collar is then the kind of job where you wear a standard man's white shirt with buttons and a collar (with or without a tie). I often see these two categories with a third called "professional", which I always think is condescending to those with a profession but not in the "professional classes".
    >
    >

weren't "blue collar shirts" made more hardwearing? I think that's the point?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    > @Ishmael_Z said:
    > > @Norm said:
    > > Back in my long distant uni days a guy from an organisation called the Freedom Association was speaking. Suddenly there was a cry of "this man is odious" and a large flower bomb immediately caught him square on the chest. It was surprising and slightly shocking. The poor guy was very shaken. Disappointing some people in this forum condone such behaviour today.
    >
    > Flour bomb perhaps?

Begonia pedant.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > @eristdoof said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1130463023280398336
    >
    > Or you could condemn both.

Or just condemn the bad one
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    > @Norm said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > Ask not for whom the bell tolls...
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1130470539343089664
    >
    > Heseltine is a fraud who only veered to the left in Tory party terms after Maggie came to power and put a block on his ambitions (which included becoming leader of the Tory party).

Once he's outside the Tory Party and no longer a "Big Beast" of the Conservative Party maybe we'll stop hearing about every five minutes. :D
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > I couldn't stand him as a politician but on a personal level there was something very satisfying about Prescott's instinctive reaction when he got egged.
    >
    > The ex-boxers in the audience will also have recognised a fairly educated straight left.
    >
    > In the circumstances, I don't think his response was excessive.

I agree.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019
    GIN1138 said:

> @Norm said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > Ask not for whom the bell tolls...
    > >
    > >

>
    > Heseltine is a fraud who only veered to the left in Tory party terms after Maggie came to power and put a block on his ambitions (which included becoming leader of the Tory party).

Once he's outside the Tory Party and no longer a "Big Beast" of the Conservative Party maybe we'll stop hearing about every five minutes. :D
    :D

Fat chance
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    > @Norm said:
    >

Really? He served in her cabinet from 1979-86 and never wavered in his pro-European views.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > Feels like we are veering into “women who wear short skirts are fair game for sexual assault” territory on here with regard to who is and isn’t entitled to sympathy for being physically attacked
    >
    > Of course politicians shouldn't be assaulted, especially not at a time when we have had one MP killed, another threatened with death and loons who throw acid at people.
    >
    > To my mind the recent attack on Corbyn was the most potentially serious because the man actually hit him quite hard with the egg and if that had been a knife it could have been much worse.
    >
    > But all my life there have been occasions when politicians have had flour and eggs hurled at them - didn't Keith Joseph regularly get pelted with the stuff?
    >
    > Deplorable as it is, this isn't some hideously horrible new development.
    >
    >

Not new, certainly, but it would be nice to see him get a couple of weeks chokey, pour decourager les autres.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > @isam said:
    > Feels like we are veering into “women who wear short skirts are fair game for sexual assault” territory on here with regard to who is and isn’t entitled to sympathy for being physically attacked

Great comment. 2 parts mewling self-pity, 1 parts "ha ha I bet this'll trigger the libs". The perfect right-wing blend.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > Feels like we are veering into “women who wear short skirts are fair game for sexual assault” territory on here with regard to who is and isn’t entitled to sympathy for being physically attacked
    >
    > Of course politicians shouldn't be assaulted, especially not at a time when we have had one MP killed, another threatened with death and loons who throw acid at people.
    >
    > To my mind the recent attack on Corbyn was the most potentially serious because the man actually hit him quite hard with the egg and if that had been a knife it could have been much worse.
    >
    > But all my life there have been occasions when politicians have had flour and eggs hurled at them - didn't Keith Joseph regularly get pelted with the stuff?
    >
    > Deplorable as it is, this isn't some hideously horrible new development.
    >
    >

True but as you say the circumstances have changed. Back in the 1980s the idea of attacking someone with acid was almost unheard of outside of the gangland mobs. These days it has become frighteningly common. I think times have changed and it is necessary to deal firmly with these sorts of attacks.
  • Options
  • Options
    There was a comment earlier about Buttigieg going on a wide array of platforms (Fox being cited), so thought the site might be interested that he's decided not to have a chat with Dave Rubin:

https://twitter.com/RubinReport/status/1129453432488701953
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > > @Norm said:
    > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > Ask not for whom the bell tolls...
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1130470539343089664
    >
    >
    > >
    > > Heseltine is a fraud who only veered to the left in Tory party terms after Maggie came to power and put a block on his ambitions (which included becoming leader of the Tory party).
    >
    > Once he's outside the Tory Party and no longer a "Big Beast" of the Conservative Party maybe we'll stop hearing about every five minutes. :D
    >
    > :D
    >
    > Fat chance

I don't know... I think half the reason CUK have crashed and burned is that the likes of Chuka and Soubry have become far less interesting to the media as CHUK MPs than they were as Labour and Conservative MPs...

Hezza could find that outside of Con all of the media invitations suddenly start drying up....
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I know there's a risk of someone mentioning Godwin, but I wonder if anyone on here would be angry if footage emerged of Adolf Hitler being milkshaked?

No, I didn't think so.

Which begs the question, where is the line drawn and on whom?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, famously of course, wrestled with this problem and his own conscience. Could he stand idly by whilst Hitler stirred up his vile race hatred? Or was it his Christian duty to participate? Ultimately he felt he could do no other but try to take Hitler's life. He returned from New York to fulfil his duty to his people and to save as many Jews as he could. The bomb plot, rather well portrayed in the film Valkyrie, led to Bonhoeffer's imprisonment and death. The Nazis hanged him on April 9th 1945, almost within earshot of the advancing Allies.

For many years after the war, Bonhoeffer was not considered a 'hero' in Germany, nor anything like it.

We decry those who take up violence against democratically elected people in this country. Hitler himself was, of course, democratically elected. So was Mugabe. So was Mobutu. So was Pol Pot.

But who decides when something goes from utter outrage (the murder of Jo Cox) to freedom fighters (Tiananmen Square)?

I don't have easy answers to that, except to suggest the following.

1. Anyone who incites racial or homophobic or transphobic hatred deserves to be called out for it in a non-violent manner.

2. Anyone who causes such hatred to be actioned or who actions such hatred deserves to feel the force of the law and the law must be robust enough to deal with it.

3. Where the law is in the hands of the despotic, and where all democratic means have failed, then it is permissible for limited action beyond the non-violent.

And now for the bit some of your Alt-Righters won't like. Back to today's milkshaking ...

Farage fits No. 1 above. His Breaking Point poster was a disgrace and he is undoubtedly whipping up hatred, presumably intentionally. He has given ample evidence of this.

I don't 'condone' milkshaking but if Farage is going to play the Game of Hate, he shouldn't be at all surprised when others play it back at him.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Utterly insignificant compared to the Brexit Party’s €5 donation reported yesterday.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    > @Theuniondivvie said:
    > > @Ishmael_Z said:
    > > > @Norm said:
    > > > Back in my long distant uni days a guy from an organisation called the Freedom Association was speaking. Suddenly there was a cry of "this man is odious" and a large flower bomb immediately caught him square on the chest. It was surprising and slightly shocking. The poor guy was very shaken. Disappointing some people in this forum condone such behaviour today.
    > >
    > > Flour bomb perhaps?
    >
    > Begonia pedant.

Could have been in the sixties mind you

If you're going to San Francisco
    Be sure to put some flour in your hair
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

Mr. Meeks, stimuli like being called xenophobes?

Aren't you the guy who has never been to France (or London) and calls French people Frogs?

And you also clutch your pearls at the phrase Little Englander.

Funny old world.
  • Options

I know there's a risk of someone mentioning Godwin, but I wonder if anyone on here would be angry if footage emerged of Adolf Hitler being milkshaked?

No, I didn't think so.

Which begs the question, where is the line drawn and on whom?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, famously of course, wrestled with this problem and his own conscience. Could he stand idly by whilst Hitler stirred up his vile race hatred? Or was it his Christian duty to participate? Ultimately he felt he could do no other but try to take Hitler's life. He returned from New York to fulfil his duty to his people and to save as many Jews as he could. The bomb plot, rather well portrayed in the film Valkyrie, led to Bonhoeffer's imprisonment and death. The Nazis hanged him on April 9th 1945, almost within earshot of the advancing Allies.

For many years after the war, Bonhoeffer was not considered a 'hero' in Germany, nor anything like it.

We decry those who take up violence against democratically elected people in this country. Hitler himself was, of course, democratically elected. So was Mugabe. So was Mobutu. So was Pol Pot.

But who decides when something goes from utter outrage (the murder of Jo Cox) to freedom fighters (Tiananmen Square)?

I don't have easy answers to that, except to suggest the following.

1. Anyone who incites racial or homophobic or transphobic hatred deserves to be called out for it in a non-violent manner.

2. Anyone who causes such hatred to be actioned or who actions such hatred deserves to feel the force of the law and the law must be robust enough to deal with it.

3. Where the law is in the hands of the despotic, and where all democratic means have failed, then it is permissible for limited action beyond the non-violent.

And now for the bit some of your Alt-Righters won't like. Back to today's milkshaking ...

Farage fits No. 1 above. His Breaking Point poster was a disgrace and he is undoubtedly whipping up hatred, presumably intentionally. He has given ample evidence of this.

I don't 'condone' milkshaking but if Farage is going to play the Game of Hate, he shouldn't be at all surprised when others play it back at him.

Unless you are equating Hitler (who had millions of people killed) to Farage (who, to the best of my knowledge, hasn’t). I’m not sure what your point is.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

> @Richard_Tyndall said:

> I couldn't stand him as a politician but on a personal level there was something very satisfying about Prescott's instinctive reaction when he got egged.

The ex-boxers in the audience will also have recognised a fairly educated straight left.

In the circumstances, I don't think his response was excessive.

I seem to recall that Prezza was an amateur boxer when he worked aboard an ocean liner as waiter/cook or something.
  • Options
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @isam said:
    > > > Feels like we are veering into “women who wear short skirts are fair game for sexual assault” territory on here with regard to who is and isn’t entitled to sympathy for being physically attacked
    > >
    > > Of course politicians shouldn't be assaulted, especially not at a time when we have had one MP killed, another threatened with death and loons who throw acid at people.
    > >
    > > To my mind the recent attack on Corbyn was the most potentially serious because the man actually hit him quite hard with the egg and if that had been a knife it could have been much worse.
    > >
    > > But all my life there have been occasions when politicians have had flour and eggs hurled at them - didn't Keith Joseph regularly get pelted with the stuff?
    > >
    > > Deplorable as it is, this isn't some hideously horrible new development.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > True but as you say the circumstances have changed. Back in the 1980s the idea of attacking someone with acid was almost unheard of outside of the gangland mobs. These days it has become frighteningly common. I think times have changed and it is necessary to deal firmly with these sorts of attacks.

I agree. Violence is wrong.

Would you have prosecuted Prescott for punching that voter? If not, why not?

What I don't want to see is MPs or would-be politicians hiding behind security in a way which makes them even more remote.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @brokenwheel said:
    > > > @Norm said:
    > > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > > Ask not for whom the bell tolls...
    > > > >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1130470539343089664
    > >
    > >
    > > >
    > > > Heseltine is a fraud who only veered to the left in Tory party terms after Maggie came to power and put a block on his ambitions (which included becoming leader of the Tory party).
    > >
    > > Once he's outside the Tory Party and no longer a "Big Beast" of the Conservative Party maybe we'll stop hearing about every five minutes. :D
    > >
    > > :D
    > >
    > > Fat chance
    >
    > I don't know... I think half the reason CUK have crashed and burned is that the likes of Chuka and Soubry have become far less interesting to the media as CHUK MPs than they were as Labour and Conservative MPs...
    >
    > Hezza could find that outside of Con all of the media invitations suddenly start drying up....

If Heseltine is being expelled presumably so is Anne Widdecombe and all those other Tories publicly announcing that they are not voting for the Tory party at these elections.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2019
    > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > There was a comment earlier about Buttigieg going on a wide array of platforms (Fox being cited), so thought the site might be interested that he's decided not to have a chat with Dave Rubin:
    >
    > twitter.com/RubinReport/status/1129453432488701953

The polarization in the US is bonkers. The likes of Joe Rogan and Dave Rubin have two of the biggest podcasts on the internets, but are now classed by the likes of Vox as "alt-right adjacent" (or some such bollocks) and thus persona non-grata, based on the fact they have dared to interview some odd balls among the 100s of other totally normal mainstream people they have had on.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @isam said:
    > > > Feels like we are veering into “women who wear short skirts are fair game for sexual assault” territory on here with regard to who is and isn’t entitled to sympathy for being physically attacked
    > >
    > > Of course politicians shouldn't be assaulted, especially not at a time when we have had one MP killed, another threatened with death and loons who throw acid at people.
    > >
    > > To my mind the recent attack on Corbyn was the most potentially serious because the man actually hit him quite hard with the egg and if that had been a knife it could have been much worse.
    > >
    > > But all my life there have been occasions when politicians have had flour and eggs hurled at them - didn't Keith Joseph regularly get pelted with the stuff?
    > >
    > > Deplorable as it is, this isn't some hideously horrible new development.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > True but as you say the circumstances have changed. Back in the 1980s the idea of attacking someone with acid was almost unheard of outside of the gangland mobs. These days it has become frighteningly common. I think times have changed and it is necessary to deal firmly with these sorts of attacks. <

++++++

It's also stupid on a personal basis, these days - for the perpetrator. The internet never forgets, and never lets you hide.

Paul Crowther's Facebook account is back up, and he's getting physical threats and wild abuse from mad Brexiteers. He'll be regretting this for years.

Gentlemen, step away from the milkshakes. E's not werf it.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Cyclefree said:

If Heseltine is being expelled presumably so is Anne Widdecombe and all those other Tories publicly announcing that they are not voting for the Tory party at these elections.

Of course. Widdecombe's been expelled already.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    > @_Anazina_ said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    >
    > > I couldn't stand him as a politician but on a personal level there was something very satisfying about Prescott's instinctive reaction when he got egged.
    >
    >
    >
    > The ex-boxers in the audience will also have recognised a fairly educated straight left.
    >
    >
    >
    > In the circumstances, I don't think his response was excessive.
    >
    > I seem to recall that Prezza was an amateur boxer when he worked aboard an ocean liner as waiter/cook or something.

I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. Just as you can tell whether someone has handled a golf club or snooker cue before, so you can also tell from the way a punch is thrown whether it's educated or otherwise.

Sorry to have to disagree with Cyclefree for once, but Prescott was responding to an attack, and the response was not immoderate. He got a pass from me at the time, and still does.
  • Options

> @isam said:

>

>

>

>

>

Since you say almost exactly the same thing whenever Felton comes up, one might consider that the pot calling the kettle black. Or that you're a bit obsessed.
    Ah “obsessed”

Any fule kno that isn’t the case
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

> @isam said:

Of course politicians shouldn't be assaulted, especially not at a time when we have had one MP killed, another threatened with death and loons who throw acid at people.

To my mind the recent attack on Corbyn was the most potentially serious because the man actually hit him quite hard with the egg and if that had been a knife it could have been much worse.

But all my life there have been occasions when politicians have had flour and eggs hurled at them - didn't Keith Joseph regularly get pelted with the stuff?

Deplorable as it is, this isn't some hideously horrible new development.

The new development is people who say ‘we have to better than that’ when retaliation is usually suggested, saying these assaults are kind of justified/not condemning them
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    Since it is now treachery to even campaign to stay in the EU, what has one got to lose by throwing a milkshake too?
    Perhaps it is time to reclaim a little perspective?
This discussion has been closed.