Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories and LDs doing better than the polls on the Projecte

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1124340037317988356
    >
    > Is this true?

One would want to know which wards have been covered, and what the baseline is.
  • Options
    > @DavidL said:
    > That next 50 losses came up really fast. Still 32 councils to declare. Over 1,200 now nailed on I think.

Although, the Tories have now just passed 3,000.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited May 2019
    > @TudorRose said:
    > Genuine question ; imagine these results had happened under 'normal' circumstances (no Brexit) would there be pressure on a Tory leader to go?

Only if they were trailing badly in the NEV, remember too the Tories were starting from a high base given the seats were last up in 2015 when the Tories had a 7% national lead.

In any case May has said she will go when she gets the Withdrawal Agreement through
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Eric Pickles says he's changed his mind and now supports another referendum.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    > @rottenborough said:
    >
    > Is this true?

Well, the graph doesn't prove it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @Jonathan said:
    > > Labour forgot the big lesson of the Coalition. If you are not the Tories, oppose the Tories. If you prop them up or enable their Brexit policy, the electorate will be harsh.
    >
    > Their mission is now to “bail the Tories out” according to one shadow cabinet member.

Yup. Labour have got this very wrong.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    > @DavidL said:
    > Independents + Residents Association over 500 gains. A really remarkable rejection of the mainstream parties.

Can't wait to see the numbers for the Brexit Party in the Euro's.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    I can see why both May and Corbyn would want to get a Brexit deal done now, but I am struggling to see how whatever they agree gets through the Commons. I'd imagine at least half of both parties' MPs would vote against, as would the DUP, the SNP and so on. What am I missing?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Prof. Thrasher / Sky News, House of Commons forecast:
    >
    > Con 280
    > Lab 268
    > SNP 53
    > LD 28
    > Others 21

Now that really is well hung...
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    > @KentRising said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > > > > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > > > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > > > Chelmsford protesting slow progress of Brexit by voting LD, I see:
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Protest vote politics
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Wot, like the Brexit referendum?
    > > > >
    > > > > Nope - how else explain the current polls for the Euro elections.
    > > >
    > > > The ones showing the Brexit Party on less than a third of the votes?
    > > >
    > > > We are seeing a #Remainbacklash. If the Tories ignore it, there will be more losses to come.
    > > >
    > > > I see that in Ampfield and Braishfield ward the LD got 402 of the 978 votes cast on a 45.83% turnout, 8 spoiled ballots. Sounds more than a protest vote...
    > >
    > > If it’s a Remain backlash how do you explain the Euro polling or what the leaders in Leave voting councils in the North are saying. Ampfield and Braishfield is my ward. There was only a choice of 3 - Tory, Labour and LibDem. If you want make a protest vote against the Tories, who do you vote for.
    >
    > I wouldn't get into an argument about it, it's pointless. The Euro elections in just three weeks' time will provide the true Brexit picture, one way or another.

So what’s your take on what has happened in Kent ?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Gravesham

Lab 24 (+3)
    Con 18 (-5)
    Ind 2 (+2)

Lab gain from Con
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > @Sean_F said:
    > > > I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.
    > >
    > > And Surrey, Hertfordshire, etc. Surrey is now the Tory front line!
    > >
    >
    > Yet the Tories gained seats in Stoke and Bolsover

So your party needs to rethink its entire economic policy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Sean_F said:
    > > I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.
    >
    > A lot of Brexiteers stayed at home.
    >
    > On the estates in Epping Forest it was a very low turnout, in Waltham Abbey Britain First also won a seat

Turnout seems on par with usual for stand alone Locals.

There is the possibility that turnout is substantially higher for Remainers, but if so that may follow also in the Euros, which usually get a similar turnout.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    GIN1138 said:

> @AndyJS said:

>

> Con 280

> Lab 268

> SNP 53

> LD 28

> Others 21

Now that really is well hung...

Certainly makes a GE this year less likely.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > @Sean_F said:
    > > > I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.
    > >
    > > And Surrey, Hertfordshire, etc. Surrey is now the Tory front line!
    > >
    >
    > Yet the Tories gained seats in Stoke and Bolsover

Not many!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    > @KentRising said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    > > https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/status/1124341349451542528
    >
    > I don't understand this. Labour are performing better in Remainy southern areas than in Brexity northern areas. How is that an argument that they should be going full second referendum/remain? Unless you want a Labour party that no longer represents the very people it was established to represent.

Remainers live in so-called Brexity areas too.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    My first time at a count.
    It was a pretty good day for us (at the Vale of White Horse).
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited May 2019
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > Good to see the big 2 putting in about as poor an effort as the top 4 footie contenders are doing....
    >
    > Tories lose 33 councils so far, Labour only lose 4 so far

Tories = Arsenal defence away from home
    Labour = Man United (former saviour turning sour fast)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @SouthamObserver said:
    > I can see why both May and Corbyn would want to get a Brexit deal done now, but I am struggling to see how whatever they agree gets through the Commons. I'd imagine at least half of both parties' MPs would vote against, as would the DUP, the SNP and so on. What am I missing?

Deal plus Customs Union was closer to a majority amongst MPs in the indicative votes than No Deal or revoke or EUref2 and May's Deal got more votes than revoke or No Deal.

A Brexit Party win in the European Parliament elections and Peterborough by election should concentrate minds, especially in Labour Leave seats when combined with Labour losses in the locals in areas like Stoke, Bolsover and Sunderland
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @TudorRose said:
    > > Genuine question ; imagine these results had happened under 'normal' circumstances (no Brexit) would there be pressure on a Tory leader to go?
    >
    > Only if they were trailing badly in the NEV, remember too the Tories were starting from a high base given the seats were last up in 2015 when the Tories had a 7% national lead.
    >
    > In any case May has said she will go when she gets the Withdrawal Agreement through

Er, like....never?
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    >
    > Is this true?

There are probably more marginals in the North and Midlands than the South
  • Options
    A 45% turnout for Warwick district council, where the Tories lost control thanks to gains made by the LibDems and Greens. Labour lost seats, too. We may well be the most Remainy place in the West Midlands.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @SouthamObserver said:
    > > I can see why both May and Corbyn would want to get a Brexit deal done now, but I am struggling to see how whatever they agree gets through the Commons. I'd imagine at least half of both parties' MPs would vote against, as would the DUP, the SNP and so on. What am I missing?
    >
    > Deal plus Customs Union was closer to a majority amongst MPs in the indicative votes than No Deal or revoke or EUref2 and May's Deal got more votes than revoke or No Deal.
    >
    > A Brexit Party win in the European Parliament elections and Peterborough by election should concentrate minds, especially in Labour Leave seats when combined with Labour losses in the locals in areas like Stoke, Bolsover and Sunderland

The problem for the Brexit Party in Peterborough is, as it's a parliamentary seat, they will have to have some policies. Bound to muddy the waters. Can't see them winning Peterborough even if win the Euros.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > > > Surely the Tories are not going to wait for the disaster that will be the Euro elections before giving May her marching orders. She’s tried, she’s failed and she has a proven record of failure - Brexit, 2017 GE and now the 2019 local elections.
    > > > >
    > > > > Probably best to leave her to soak up the EU elections disaster.
    > > > >
    > > > > I would think she'll be resigning soon after though...
    > > >
    > > > May has tied first in the NEV!
    > >
    > > Don’t think the 900+ councillors who’ve lost their seats care about that with the possible exception of your good self. Sorry to hear that BTW.
    >
    > Thanks though it was close and I was not an incumbent (and it was town not district level).
    >
    > As I have said before the Tories need Boris to win the next general election and win back Brexiteers who are staying at home or voting Brexit Party however as long as Corbyn leads Labour it seems Labour cannot get a clear lead even over May

No we do not need Boris.

The WDA passes in the next few weeks or there will be a referendum which is likely to kill off brexit for a generation
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881

My first time at a count.
    It was a pretty good day for us (at the Vale of White Horse).

Many congratulations. I noticed your name flash up as a win :)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2019
    From Reuters:

<i>Sterling surged past $1.3150 on Friday after Jeremy Corbyn said parliament must break the deadlock over Brexit and “get a deal done” to exit the European Union.

Lee Hardman, MUFG’s currency analyst based in London said “optimism” over a “cross-party deal to break the impasse” had extended the move higher in sterling.

Against the dollar, the pound surged more than a percent to $1.3175, a one-month high.

Against the euro, the pound surged 0.9 percent to 84.98 pence, a new one-month high.</i>
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited May 2019
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    >
    > No we do not need Boris.
    >
    > The WDA passes in the next few weeks or there will be a referendum which is likely to kill off brexit for a generation

And the Conservative party.

Corbyn doesn't want to be seen to block Brexit - but he will.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > Prof. Thrasher / Sky News, House of Commons forecast:
    > >
    > > Con 280
    > > Lab 268
    > > SNP 53
    > > LD 28
    > > Others 21
    >
    > Now that really is well hung...

I resemble that remark .... :innocent:
  • Options
    At 1100 losses and rising, are these officially the second worse Tory Local elections in modern history, after the ones preceeding the 97 GE?
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > At 1100 losses and rising, are these officially the second worse Tory Local elections in modern history, after the ones preceeding the 97 GE?

Crap PM = Crap election results.

Not rocket science.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Corbyn is an idiot .

Doing a deal with the Tories helps them but will badly damage Labour . If Brexit is done by June the Tories poll ratings will recover but there’s only one way Labour is going and that’s down .

What sort of clueless moron is he to not understand this .
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @nico67 said:
    > Corbyn is an idiot .
    >
    > Doing a deal with the Tories helps them but will badly damage Labour . If Brexit is done by June the Tories poll ratings will recover but there’s only one way Labour is going and that’s down .
    >
    > What sort of clueless moron is he to not understand this .

He wont though - he wants to be seen to be reasonable - the guy who would sign off on a customs union - which the Con party couldn't stomach.

"Oh well not my fault guv."
  • Options
    Whoever wins the next general election looks likely to be starting off from a position in which a very large majority of voters do not want them there.
  • Options
    > @JackW said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > Prof. Thrasher / Sky News, House of Commons forecast:
    > > >
    > > > Con 280
    > > > Lab 268
    > > > SNP 53
    > > > LD 28
    > > > Others 21
    > >
    > > Now that really is well hung...
    >
    > I resemble that remark .... :innocent:

As there is considerable regional variation, is there a better way to calculate this than NEV? A lot of the SW looks vulnerable.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    Corbyn can't be seen to enable any kind of Brexit even if May did agree to the customs union.
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > At 1100 losses and rising, are these officially the second worse Tory Local elections in modern history, after the ones preceeding the 97 GE?

Yes but still better than the 1197 losses Labour suffered in 1999
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    labour net losses dipped back below 100.
  • Options
    1132 losses with 22 councils to go.

1200 could be nip and tuck..
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @SouthamObserver said:
    > > I can see why both May and Corbyn would want to get a Brexit deal done now, but I am struggling to see how whatever they agree gets through the Commons. I'd imagine at least half of both parties' MPs would vote against, as would the DUP, the SNP and so on. What am I missing?
    >
    > Deal plus Customs Union was closer to a majority amongst MPs in the indicative votes than No Deal or revoke or EUref2 and May's Deal got more votes than revoke or No Deal.
    >
    > A Brexit Party win in the European Parliament elections and Peterborough by election should concentrate minds, especially in Labour Leave seats when combined with Labour losses in the locals in areas like Stoke, Bolsover and Sunderland

That means May moving one of her red lines.

Do you want to tell her or shall I?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    > @SouthamObserver said:
    > Whoever wins the next general election looks likely to be starting off from a position in which a very large majority of voters do not want them there.

Will it beat Labour in 2005?
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:

No. The Conservatives finished behind their opponents in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    England are shitting the bed in Dublin.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @justin124 said:
    > > > @RobD said:
    > > > > @dr_spyn said:
    > > >
    > > > > Not sure I would ever try to pull leaflets back through a letter box, you never know what might grab your fingers.
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/CllrJeanieBell/status/1123917856176050177
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Could not the police be alerted to that? Plenty of evidence there!
    > > >
    > > > Let’s not distract them from fighting real crime, like checking what people say on twitter.
    > >
    > > But it represents clear photographic evidence of theft!Had that happened to me I would have sought to press charges.
    >
    > If you prosecuted every party activist who pinched their opponent's leaflets when left in full view the police would never be doing anything else

But they are rarely caught - certainly not via camera!
  • Options
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > England are shitting the bed in Dublin.

Probably that dreadful black industrial effluent they call their national beverage.
  • Options
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @justin124 said:
    > > > > @RobD said:
    > > > > > @dr_spyn said:
    > > > >
    > > > > > Not sure I would ever try to pull leaflets back through a letter box, you never know what might grab your fingers.
    > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > > https://twitter.com/CllrJeanieBell/status/1123917856176050177
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Could not the police be alerted to that? Plenty of evidence there!
    > > > >
    > > > > Let’s not distract them from fighting real crime, like checking what people say on twitter.
    > > >
    > > > But it represents clear photographic evidence of theft!Had that happened to me I would have sought to press charges.
    > >
    > > If you prosecuted every party activist who pinched their opponent's leaflets when left in full view the police would never be doing anything else
    >
    > But they are rarely caught - certainly not via camera!

At the very least his party should discipline him. 'Bringing the party into disrepute' I would have thought.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > At 1100 losses and rising, are these officially the second worse Tory Local elections in modern history, after the ones preceeding the 97 GE?
    >
    > Yes but still better than the 1197 losses Labour suffered in 1999

Results are not yet complete.

I see in Peterborough Council (not sure how closely this maps to parliamentary constituency) Con, LP and UKIP lost seats, Lab, LD and Green gained. That does not look like a walkover for the Brexit Party.
  • Options
    > @Sean_F said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > At 1100 losses and rising, are these officially the second worse Tory Local elections in modern history, after the ones preceeding the 97 GE?
    >
    > No. The Conservatives finished behind their opponents in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2012, 2013, and 2014.

I meant in terms of seats lost in one day.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    > @AndyJS said:
    >
    > Con 280
    > Lab 268
    > SNP 53
    > LD 28
    > Others 21

Is this including the Brexit party? If not, seems pointless? If it is then still very guessy as to impact of Brexit party on particular seats, and their vote GE share is very volatile. All sorts of weird possibilities are plausible currently - Labour could poll under 30% and get a majority, if Brexit get 10-15% mostly from the Tory vote.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @SouthamObserver said:
    > Whoever wins the next general election looks likely to be starting off from a position in which a very large majority of voters do not want them there.

If the next election is in 2022 then almost anything could have happened in the interim. Who knows, the country may even have found itself a unifying figure to lead us into the sunny uplands.
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > At 1100 losses and rising, are these officially the second worse Tory Local elections in modern history, after the ones preceeding the 97 GE?
    > >
    > > Yes but still better than the 1197 losses Labour suffered in 1999
    >
    > Results are not yet complete.
    >
    > I see in Peterborough Council (not sure how closely this maps to parliamentary constituency) Con, LP and UKIP lost seats, Lab, LD and Green gained. That does not look like a walkover for the Brexit Party.

Presumably why Labour are favourites (just!) to hold the seat.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    > @JackW said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > Prof. Thrasher / Sky News, House of Commons forecast:
    > > >
    > > > Con 280
    > > > Lab 268
    > > > SNP 53
    > > > LD 28
    > > > Others 21
    > >
    > > Now that really is well hung...
    >
    > I resemble that remark .... :innocent:

Laugh it up old timer... :D

[RIP Peter Mayhew]
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > >
    > > Con 280
    > > Lab 268
    > > SNP 53
    > > LD 28
    > > Others 21
    >
    > Now that really is well hung...

A bit pointless including SNP or Plaid when Scotland & Wales had no elections yesterday - beyond the odd by election.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019

Gravesham

Lab 24 (+3)

Con 18 (-5)

Ind 2 (+2)

Lab gain from Con

Many of Labours gains seem to be coming from demographic shift, e.g. here I think they are being helped in commuter belt by the outflow of people from London.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,620
    > @noneoftheabove said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > >
    > > Con 280
    > > Lab 268
    > > SNP 53
    > > LD 28
    > > Others 21
    >
    > Is this including the Brexit party? If not, seems pointless? If it is then still very guessy as to impact of Brexit party on particular seats, and their vote GE share is very volatile. All sorts of weird possibilities are plausible currently - Labour could poll under 30% and get a majority, if Brexit get 10-15% mostly from the Tory vote.
    >

Who knows? And yes it does seem unusually pointless this year with so much in flux and in the absence of even a minimal disclosure of methodology and key assumptions.
  • Options
    This was the result in a seat on Herefordshire council called Bircher:

Independent: 1,330
    Conservative: 80

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/news/article/802/live_local_election_results
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @AndyJS said:
    > This was the result in a seat on Herefordshire council called Bircher:
    >
    > Independent: 1,330
    > Conservative: 80
    >
    > https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/news/article/802/live_local_election_results

LOL
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    @AmpfieldAndy

Yesterday you posted that 70% of law taught at law school in the UK was EU law. You also said common law was no longer being taught. ("Not so common " were your words.)

Now I like the fact that this site is a free for all. It's good when people have genuine disagreements and passion. But I hate it when people make shit up.

So I offered you one of three alternatives:

1. Win £1,000 for a charity of your choice by backing up your claim with some evidence.

2. Apologise and promise not to make shit up.

or

3. Get banned.

Your call.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    TGOHF said:

> @TheScreamingEagles said:

> England are shitting the bed in Dublin.

Probably that dreadful black industrial effluent they call their national beverage.

Tasteless weirdo
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @Sean_F said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > At 1100 losses and rising, are these officially the second worse Tory Local elections in modern history, after the ones preceeding the 97 GE?
    > >
    > > No. The Conservatives finished behind their opponents in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
    >
    > I meant in terms of seats lost in one day.

No. However, this round of elections saw Conservative gains (often very big gains) on every occasion from 1999 until now (with the exception of 2011).
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    FPT - Many thanks for the commiserations on my sub optimal result in deepest ex blue Surrey. Majority against was 300 at the upper end of expectations, though I knew I’d lose. But for one elector, it was obviously personal for he/she scrawled in big black pencil TRAITOR against my name, which I thought a mite harsh. Must have known my Fenian background......
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > Gravesham
    >
    >
    >
    > Lab 24 (+3)
    >
    > Con 18 (-5)
    >
    > Ind 2 (+2)
    >
    >
    >
    > Lab gain from Con
    >
    > Many of Labours gains seem to be coming from demographic shift, e.g. here I think they are being helped in commuter belt by the outflow of people from London.

Gravesham is a very good result for Labour because that part of Kent has generally been quite disappointing for them in recent years.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Bad luck, Mr. O.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    Chris Leslie need not worry. Jezza wont really do a deal.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Sean_F said:

> @IanB2 said:

> > @Sean_F said:

>

> And Surrey, Hertfordshire, etc. Surrey is now the Tory front line!

>

Hertfordshire was okay, I thought. It's strange that Surrey should have produced such different results to Berkshire, or neighbouring parts of Hampshire.

Surrey isn't especially well run insofar as you can judge these things.
  • Options
    > @_Anazina_ said:
    > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    >
    > > England are shitting the bed in Dublin.
    >
    >
    >
    > Probably that dreadful black industrial effluent they call their national beverage.
    >
    > Tasteless weirdo

Seriously - Guinness has stood still in the 1970s whilst the craft beer revolution has left it in the dust.

There are 100s of porters and stouts on the market now better than that that cooking beer.
  • Options
    > @TudorRose said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > At 1100 losses and rising, are these officially the second worse Tory Local elections in modern history, after the ones preceeding the 97 GE?
    > > >
    > > > Yes but still better than the 1197 losses Labour suffered in 1999
    > >
    > > Results are not yet complete.
    > >
    > > I see in Peterborough Council (not sure how closely this maps to parliamentary constituency) Con, LP and UKIP lost seats, Lab, LD and Green gained. That does not look like a walkover for the Brexit Party.
    >
    > Presumably why Labour are favourites (just!) to hold the seat.

The Brexit Party did not stand in the local elections, the council remains NOC and Peterborough was 60% Leave, the Brexit Party still have a good chance of taking the seat from Labour in the by election
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @paulyork64 said:
    > labour net losses dipped back below 100.

A Greeeat night for Labour

LMAO

A plague on both their houses
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    TudorRose said:

> @Foxy said:

> > @HYUFD said:

> > > @Foxy said:

> >

> > Yes but still better than the 1197 losses Labour suffered in 1999

>

> Results are not yet complete.

>

> I see in Peterborough Council (not sure how closely this maps to parliamentary constituency) Con, LP and UKIP lost seats, Lab, LD and Green gained. That does not look like a walkover for the Brexit Party.

Presumably why Labour are favourites (just!) to hold the seat.

Local elections, low turnout, protest vote against the two main parties, no ChUK or Brexit party.

Let’s see where we are after the Euro results are announced on 26 May.

And FPTP means a party could win Peterborough on only 30 per cent or less.
  • Options
    Con losses 1169

20 councils left.
  • Options
    > @_Anazina_ said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Probably that dreadful black industrial effluent they call their national beverage.
    >
    > Tasteless weirdo

Workers at Guinness Brewery used to piss in it (I don't know if that's still the practice).
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Floater said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > This was the result in a seat on Herefordshire council called Bircher:
    > >
    > > Independent: 1,330
    > > Conservative: 80
    > >
    > > https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/news/article/802/live_local_election_results
    >
    > LOL

I had thought that must be a ward in Hereford itself but in fact it's a rural ward in the north of the county just outside Leominster.

https://www.andrewteale.me.uk/leap/map/2015/107/
  • Options
    > @rcs1000 said:
    > @AmpfieldAndy
    >
    > Yesterday you posted that 70% of law taught at law school in the UK was EU law. You also said common law was no longer being taught. ("Not so common " were your words.)
    >
    > Now I like the fact that this site is a free for all. It's good when people have genuine disagreements and passion. But I hate it when people make shit up.
    >
    > So I offered you one of three alternatives:
    >
    > 1. Win £1,000 for a charity of your choice by backing up your claim with some evidence.
    >
    > 2. Apologise and promise not to make shit up.
    >
    > or
    >
    > 3. Get banned.
    >
    > Your call.

76.3% of stats are made up on the spot. Or is it 88.7%? I dunno, but it's a lot. Probably.
  • Options
    > @TGOHF said:
    > Con losses 1169
    >
    > 20 councils left.
    >

Meanwhile the tumbleweed rolls across Lancaster where there are still 13 seats to declare....
  • Options
    > @Sean_F said:
    > > @_Anazina_ said:
    > > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > >
    > > > England are shitting the bed in Dublin.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Probably that dreadful black industrial effluent they call their national beverage.
    > >
    > > Tasteless weirdo
    >
    > Workers at Guinness Brewery used to piss in it (I don't know if that's still the practice).

It's up there with John Smith's extra smooth in the quality stakes.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    > @Sean_F said:
    > I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.

I think it makes sense, Leaver-y but with many people with much to lose if Brexit becomes an economic disaster, as opposed to Leaver strongholds in the E Mids and North where there are many people who feel they’ve nothing left to lose. I suspect Essex Man and his counterparts around the country are the bulk of those who’ve shifted from Leave to Remain in polling.
  • Options
    > @JohnO said:
    > FPT - Many thanks for the commiserations on my sub optimal result in deepest ex blue Surrey. Majority against was 300 at the upper end of expectations, though I knew I’d lose. But for one elector, it was obviously personal for he/she scrawled in big black pencil TRAITOR against my name, which I thought a mite harsh. Must have known my Fenian background......

Hope they wrote it neatly in the box and it counted as a vote.

Sorry you lost, you’re one of the better blue peril.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    UKIP will struggle to get remotely near 5% in the euros based on this
    30 councillors.... risible
  • Options
    > @rpjs said:
    > > @Sean_F said:
    >
    > I think it makes sense, Leaver-y but with many people with much to lose if Brexit becomes an economic disaster, as opposed to Leaver strongholds in the E Mids and North where there are many people who feel they’ve nothing left to lose. I suspect Essex Man and his counterparts around the country are the bulk of those who’ve shifted from Leave to Remain in polling.

A-Gammon-geddon.

Angry Brexiteers feeling betrayed again by the London luvvies.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

> @_Anazina_ said:

>

>

>

>

>

> Tasteless weirdo

Seriously - Guinness has stood still in the 1970s whilst the craft beer revolution has left it in the dust.

There are 100s of porters and stouts on the market now better than that that cooking beer.

I like craft beer but find most craft porters undrinkable. Guinness I only drink occasionally, but a good pint of it remains a nice drop.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

> @Sean_F said:

> I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.

I think it makes sense, Leaver-y but with many people with much to lose if Brexit becomes an economic disaster, as opposed to Leaver strongholds in the E Mids and North where there are many people who feel they’ve nothing left to lose. I suspect Essex Man and his counterparts around the country are the bulk of those who’ve shifted from Leave to Remain in polling.

Indeed.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    Congratulations to @NickPalmer

Godalming Binscombe Ward
    Anne Gray, Conservative Party candidate - 375 votes
    David Malcolm Hunter, Conservative Party candidate - 302 votes
    Nicholas Douglas Palmer, Labour Party - 467 votes - ELECTED
    Paul Sidney Rivers, Liberal Democrats - 729 votes - ELECTED
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    > @dyedwoolie said:
    > UKIP will struggle to get remotely near 5% in the euros based on this
    > 30 councillors.... risible

Putting up candidates who spend their time working out who they might rape might not be electorally very popular - shocker. BNP peaked at about 2%, wouldn't expect UKIP to get much more, maybe there are a few who still link them to Farage.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    > @Floater said:
    > > @paulyork64 said:
    > > labour net losses dipped back below 100.
    >
    > A Greeeat night for Labour
    >
    > LMAO
    >
    > A plague on both their houses

-83 now. on a late charge.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I’ve just heard, I think, Mark Francois, on Radio 5. He explain that the HoC rejected the Government’s Brexit votes because they were insufficiently Brexity (the complaint I think being that they tried to reach an agreement with the EU). It’s no wonder MPs can get away with lying when the interviewer just moved on to the next question without follow-up questions.
  • Options
    > @_Anazina_ said:

> I like craft beer but find most craft porters undrinkable. Guinness I only drink occasionally, but a good pint of it remains a nice drop.

I think it needs to move with the times - it's very light on ingredients and hence tastes very bland in the modern era.

I'd be amazed if the average age of Guinness drinkers isn't rising quite steadily.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,620
    In terms of the media narrative, Labour has been hurt by the fact that it had the bulk of its net losses quite early on last night after which the figure largely held steady today, whereas the Conservative losses seem to have got much worse throughout the day.

The BBC as a consequence took to reporting "heavy Conservative and Labour losses" from the outset as if there was some equivalence, and lazily failed to change tack as the nuances played out.

Right now we have a net Labour loss of 83 compared to a net Conservative loss of 1180 - a ratio of something like 1:14. Even allowing for 2015 being a moderately good year for the Conservatives (enough to secure only a very narrow parliamentary majority) those results are nothing like equally bad for Labour and the Conservatives.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    As he reels off the litany of Tory woes, Professor Thrasher does seem like a great case of nominative determinism today......
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    > @_Anazina_ said:
    > > @Sean_F said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think it makes sense, Leaver-y but with many people with much to lose if Brexit becomes an economic disaster, as opposed to Leaver strongholds in the E Mids and North where there are many people who feel they’ve nothing left to lose. I suspect Essex Man and his counterparts around the country are the bulk of those who’ve shifted from Leave to Remain in polling.
    >
    >
    > Indeed.

I'm confused why people are looking at this on a national / European level. Locally it's a lot of councils losing their majority because they haven't delivered / people want a change..
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The most astonishing results IMO were in Ashfield, where in a lot of the wards the result was something like Ind 87%, Lab 8%, Con 3%. A total meltdown of the two established parties.
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

Corbyn can't be seen to enable any kind of Brexit even if May did agree to the customs union.

He is sitting on a pile of absolutely useless surplus votes in places like London.

For Labour to win an election he needs to add votes in places that aren't remain obsessed.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Barnesian said:
    > Congratulations to @NickPalmer
    >
    > Godalming Binscombe Ward
    > Anne Gray, Conservative Party candidate - 375 votes
    > David Malcolm Hunter, Conservative Party candidate - 302 votes
    > Nicholas Douglas Palmer, Labour Party - 467 votes - ELECTED
    > Paul Sidney Rivers, Liberal Democrats - 729 votes - ELECTED

Wow. Red Godalming. A lib lab pact too!
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Pathetically biased coverage by the BBC.

They had their script and weren’t going to deviate regardless . So in this bizarre scenario either way they have the script .

Tories and Labour up , get on with Brexit .

Tories and Labour down with huge gains for pro EU Lib Dems and the Greens , get on with Brexit.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    > @noneoftheabove said:
    > > @dyedwoolie said:
    > > UKIP will struggle to get remotely near 5% in the euros based on this
    > > 30 councillors.... risible
    >
    > Putting up candidates who spend their time working out who they might rape might not be electorally very popular - shocker. BNP peaked at about 2%, wouldn't expect UKIP to get much more, maybe there are a few who still link them to Farage.

I hope they fade like the BNP into nothing.
    Carl Benjamin and Gerard Batten. The shit on Britain's shoe
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Wulfrun_Phil said:
    > In terms of the media narrative, Labour has been hurt by the fact that it had the bulk of its net losses quite early on last night after which the figure largely held steady today, whereas the Conservative losses seem to have got much worse throughout the day.
    >
    > The BBC as a consequence took to reporting "heavy Conservative and Labour losses" from the outset as if there was some equivalence, and lazily failed to change tack as the nuances played out.
    >
    > Right now we have a net Labour loss of 83 compared to a net Conservative loss of 1180 - a ratio of something like 1:14. Even allowing for 2015 being a moderately good year for the Conservatives (enough to secure only a very narrow parliamentary majority) those results are nothing like equally bad for Labour and the Conservatives.

Yet still abysmal for any opposition party 9 years out of power
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @_Anazina_ said:

> I like craft beer but find most craft porters undrinkable. Guinness I only drink occasionally, but a good pint of it remains a nice drop.

Even the Lidl fake brand Porter is better than Guinness in my opinion, but each to their own.
  • Options
    Of all the parties , I sense it is the Greens who have most to be pleased about from these results. Whilst the LibDems have numerically made bigger gains, effectively they are partly recouping earlier very heavy losses. The Greens,though, appear to have succeeded this time in breaking through in many places where they have no earlier record of electoral success. Their progress has not been restricted to areas - such as here in Norwich - where they have been on the map for some years.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Barnesian said:
    >

Yes congratulations to Nick Palmer and good to see he is still willing to serve as a representative locally despite being a former MP (even if I did get almost 200 more votes than him last night and still lost, not jealous at all, no)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    > @Wulfrun_Phil said:
    > In terms of the media narrative, Labour has been hurt by the fact that it had the bulk of its net losses quite early on last night after which the figure largely held steady today, whereas the Conservative losses seem to have got much worse throughout the day.
    >
    > The BBC as a consequence took to reporting "heavy Conservative and Labour losses" from the outset as if there was some equivalence, and lazily failed to change tack as the nuances played out.
    >
    > Right now we have a net Labour loss of 83 compared to a net Conservative loss of 1180 - a ratio of something like 1:14. Even allowing for 2015 being a moderately good year for the Conservatives (enough to secure only a very narrow parliamentary majority) those results are nothing like equally bad for Labour and the Conservatives.

They are terrible for a labour party wanting to be in government
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Jonathan said:

> @Barnesian said:

>

Wow. Red Godalming. A lib lab pact too!

Was there an issue with the local council over refuse collection in Binscombe?
This discussion has been closed.