Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories and LDs doing better than the polls on the Projecte

Comments

• Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124331160442687488

Is losing middle/upper class graduates and gaining white working class voters a good swap?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:
    It all went wrong in year 6 when you betrayed Dave (pbuh).
    Had I known my vote was so pivotal.... I would have sold it to the highest bidder!
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Lab gain Mansfield mayor by 2 votes
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522
    I am not a traditional LD supporter, nor do I really agree with their stance on Brexit (I’m one of those weird remainers who thinks the decision needs to be respected) but it is encouraging to see a third party doing well for once, given the absolutely dire state of play with Labour and the Conservatives at the moment.
  • Options
    Norwich result
    LAB 27 -4
    Green 9 +4
    LD 3
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    > @nunuone said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124331160442687488
    >
    > Is losing middle/upper class graduates and gaining white working class voters a good swap?

It's not been bad everywhere in the East Midlands for Labour (eg High Peak, and Bassetlaw).
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    > @Nigelb said:
    > > @CarlottaVance said:
    > > IF Parliament can't sort it out.
    > >
    > > Who do you think that's aimed at? https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/status/1124323555934724102
    >
    > You don't have to aim Pickles - just roll him in the approximate direction.

What was the 2016 referendum if not a People's Vote ?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    > @dyedwoolie said:
    > Lab gain Mansfield mayor by 2 votes

Peter Soulsby (Lab) returned with 61% of the vote for Mayor of Leicester.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    I think my council (Lancaster) must be the slowest count; they haven't got halfway through the ward results yet.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1124301563235897344

Spoilt Ballot Party has won the 2019 local elections? :D
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @RobD said:
    > > @dr_spyn said:
    >
    > > Not sure I would ever try to pull leaflets back through a letter box, you never know what might grab your fingers.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/CllrJeanieBell/status/1123917856176050177
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Could not the police be alerted to that? Plenty of evidence there!
    >
    > Let’s not distract them from fighting real crime, like checking what people say on twitter.

But it represents clear photographic evidence of theft!Had that happened to me I would have sought to press charges.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    edited May 2019
    Big leave areas I think. I recognise a few from my UKIP 2015 seat target hitlist 🙈
  • Options
    > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > Chelmsford protesting slow progress of Brexit by voting LD, I see:
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    >
    > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.

Protest vote politics
  • Options
    Con could have lost 2000 seats in these local elections of the Brexit Party had stood!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    > @Sean_F said:
    > > @nunuone said:
    > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124331160442687488
    > >
    > > Is losing middle/upper class graduates and gaining white working class voters a good swap?
    >
    > It's not been bad everywhere in the East Midlands for Labour (eg High Peak, and Bassetlaw).

The issue here and with the North East (Tees Valley especially) is that people are looking at things on a National level when it's really local issues (20 years of badly run council eventually results in votes going to the other party).

And I really wouldn't be looking here as these wins being gains for the Tories. It's a gain for the opposition who just happened in a few cases to be the Tory candidate.
  • Options
    Haven’t heard May once say how sorry she is that 900+ Tory councillors have lost their seats - because of her incompetence. Same lack of empathy and compassion she showed after 2017 GE losses. She is a disaster.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > Con could have lost 2000 seats in these local elections of the Brexit Party had stood!

Oh dear, how sad, never mind!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Andy, aye.

Those making a case for a second referendum, if they seek to avoid that accurate term, should at least come up with one that doesn't imply the first referendum wasn't voted on by people. The 2016 referendum was decided by spaniels and collies.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    https://twitter.com/HayleyMortimer/status/1124319672483102720

Cotswold Council face legal challenge.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

> @Nigelb said:

> > @CarlottaVance said:

> > IF Parliament can't sort it out.

> >

> > Who do you think that's aimed at?

>

> You don't have to aim Pickles - just roll him in the approximate direction.

What was the 2016 referendum if not a People's Vote ?
    It was a vote for Brexit in theory, not in practice.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    > @TudorRose said:
    > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > > @dr_spyn said:
    > >
    > > > Re spoilt ballots, Shipman is having fun.
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1124329164931305472
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I think I read that there is an issue in Cotswold where the Tories won a ward by one vote. The elector had written 'Brexit' and this was counted as a vote for the Tories; the independent loser is (unsurprisingly) challenging this.
    > >
    > > I understand that there was an arrow from "Brexit" to the box next to the Conservative candidate's name. That seems important to me.
    >
    > But does it indicate a preference or a message? If I were the loser I'd definitely want to challenge the decision.

As per my comment below, I cannot see that this unequivocally expresses a clear preference. Especially against the background of publicised attempts to get people to write “Brexit” on their ballot paper as a protest.

Still, if he wins his case, he only gains a coin toss.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    54 councils to go, looks like the Tories might top 1,000 losses.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Actor Tony Robinson quitting Labour after 45 years over antisemitism and Brexit.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1124301563235897344
    >
    > Spoilt Ballot Party has won the 2019 local elections? :D

A lot of those figures are not that high. 300 spoiled papers in Sunderland is what you'd expect at most elections.
  • Options
    > @Streeter said:
    > > @Nigelb said:
    >
    > > > @CarlottaVance said:
    >
    > > > IF Parliament can't sort it out.
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > > Who do you think that's aimed at? https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/status/1124323555934724102
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > You don't have to aim Pickles - just roll him in the approximate direction.
    >
    >
    >
    > What was the 2016 referendum if not a People's Vote ?
    >
    > It was a vote for Brexit in theory, not in practice.

The theory was that voters thought HOC would implement it. Grieve, Letwin, Gauke, Hammond etc should hang their heads in shame.
  • Options
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > Chelmsford protesting slow progress of Brexit by voting LD, I see:
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    > >
    > > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.
    >
    >
    > Protest vote politics

Wot, like the Brexit referendum?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @dr_spyn said:
    > https://twitter.com/HayleyMortimer/status/1124319672483102720
    >
    > Cotswold Council face legal challenge.

I suspect he will be well placed to win that challenge.
  • Options
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @Streeter said:
    > > > @Nigelb said:
    > >
    > > > > @CarlottaVance said:
    > >
    > > > > IF Parliament can't sort it out.
    > >
    > > > >
    > >
    > > > > Who do you think that's aimed at? https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/status/1124323555934724102
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > You don't have to aim Pickles - just roll him in the approximate direction.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > What was the 2016 referendum if not a People's Vote ?
    > >
    > > It was a vote for Brexit in theory, not in practice.
    >
    > The theory was that voters thought HOC would implement it. Grieve, Letwin, Gauke, Hammond etc should hang their heads in shame.

... and the ERG MPs?
  • Options
    Con about to pass 1000 lost seats...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,378
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > Haven’t heard May once say how sorry she is that 900+ Tory councillors have lost their seats - because of her incompetence. Same lack of empathy and compassion she showed after 2017 GE losses. She is a disaster.

You did not listen to her today on the media at tge Welsh conference doing exactly that

The disaster you refer to is not only part TM fault but hugely the brexiteer's with their extreme views which look as if they are going to result in brexit failing.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019
    nunuone said:

> @Scott_P said:

>

Is losing middle/upper class graduates and gaining white working class voters a good swap?
    The middle/upper class graduates culturally dislike the Tories. It’s like when Gove tried to cuddle up to Greta and then the Extinction Rebellion lot said it wasn’t enough. They never will be satisfied no matter how progressive you try to be because there’s plenty of nuttier alternatives. And in doing so the small ‘c’ conservative vote looks elsewhere too.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    TudorRose said:

I think my council (Lancaster) must be the slowest count; they haven't got halfway through the ward results yet.

Cherwell (North Oxfordshire) is being shockingly slow too. Of the wards declared so far, the main change appears, once again, to be independents gaining seats in wards where there's a lot of new housing development coming up.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    >
    > > What was the 2016 referendum if not a People's Vote ?
    > >
    > > It was a vote for Brexit in theory, not in practice.
    >
    > The theory was that voters thought HOC would implement it. Grieve, Letwin, Gauke, Hammond etc should hang their heads in shame.

Eh? Letwin, Gauke and Hammond all voted to implement Brexit with the withdrawal agreement. It's the ERG who did most to prevent it from happening.
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > Chelmsford protesting slow progress of Brexit by voting LD, I see:
    > > > >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    > > >
    > > > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.
    > >
    > >
    > > Protest vote politics
    >
    > Wot, like the Brexit referendum?

Nope - how else explain the current polls for the Euro elections.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2019
    > @AmpfieldAndy said
    >

Err, Letwin, Gauke and Hammond voted for it to happen. You are as always directing your irrational anger at the wrong people: it was Corbyn and the Labour Party, in league with Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris, Steve Baker et al, who voted against Brexit happening in an orderly fashion on the 29th March.
  • Options
    > @OblitusSumMe said:
    > >
    > > > What was the 2016 referendum if not a People's Vote ?
    > > >
    > > > It was a vote for Brexit in theory, not in practice.
    > >
    > > The theory was that voters thought HOC would implement it. Grieve, Letwin, Gauke, Hammond etc should hang their heads in shame.
    >
    > Eh? Letwin, Gauke and Hammond all voted to implement Brexit with the withdrawal agreement. It's the ERG who did most to prevent it from happening.

Quite right. The WDA isn’t Brexit. It’s just an agreement to shell out £ 39bn whilst there is another round of talks.
  • Options
    Fortunately, the Conservatives are not replicating their performance in Somerset in neighbouring Dorset, where they're strolling to victory in both authorities.

It's odd that neighbouring counties and districts should produce very different results. The Conservatives have done fine in Berkshire for that matter, but horribly in Surrey, despite the social similarities between the two counties.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2019
    > @eek said:
    > > @Sean_F said:
    > > > @nunuone said:
    > > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124331160442687488
    > > >
    > > > Is losing middle/upper class graduates and gaining white working class voters a good swap?
    > >
    > > It's not been bad everywhere in the East Midlands for Labour (eg High Peak, and Bassetlaw).
    >
    > The issue here and with the North East (Tees Valley especially) is that people are looking at things on a National level when it's really local issues (20 years of badly run council eventually results in votes going to the other party).
    >
    > And I really wouldn't be looking here as these wins being gains for the Tories. It's a gain for the opposition who just happened in a few cases to be the Tory candidate.

That's progress though because I thought anything blue was 'toxic' in traditional hardcore Labour heartlands like the Northeast. It seems that toxicity no longer applies. It's not like the viters didn't have other places to put their protest X on the ballot paper (at least in most wards).
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > Haven’t heard May once say how sorry she is that 900+ Tory councillors have lost their seats - because of her incompetence. Same lack of empathy and compassion she showed after 2017 GE losses. She is a disaster.
    >
    > You did not listen to her today on the media at tge Welsh conference doing exactly that
    >
    > The disaster you refer to is not only part TM fault but hugely the brexiteer's with their extreme views which look as if they are going to result in brexit failing.

Oh come on Big G - anyway you slice it this is a useless government led by a worse than useless PM
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,378
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @OblitusSumMe said:
    > > >
    > > > > What was the 2016 referendum if not a People's Vote ?
    > > > >
    > > > > It was a vote for Brexit in theory, not in practice.
    > > >
    > > > The theory was that voters thought HOC would implement it. Grieve, Letwin, Gauke, Hammond etc should hang their heads in shame.
    > >
    > > Eh? Letwin, Gauke and Hammond all voted to implement Brexit with the withdrawal agreement. It's the ERG who did most to prevent it from happening.
    >
    > Quite right. The WDA isn’t Brexit. It’s just an agreement to shell out £ 39bn whilst there is another round of talks.

It is the only brexit on offer. Take it or stay and I am relaxed either way
  • Options
    Final seat in west Norfolk on 4th recount, 3 votes in it, will mean con hold or NOC!
  • Options
    > @Sean_F said:
    > Fortunately, the Conservatives are not replicating their performance in Somerset in neighbouring Dorset, where they're strolling to victory in both authorities.
    >
    > It's odd that neighbouring counties and districts should produce very different results. The Conservatives have done fine in Berkshire for that matter, but horribly in Surrey, despite the social similarities between the two counties.

Devon is falling midway between Somerset and Dorset, in terms of performance.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    edited May 2019
    The result. Waiting to see how ronely he will be.

Quite a turnup after 15 years of Indys.

https://twitter.com/MDC_News/status/1124331713922990081
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    GIN1138 said:

Con could have lost 2000 seats in these local elections of the Brexit Party had stood!

How do you work that out? UKIP are losing seats.
  • Options
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > Haven’t heard May once say how sorry she is that 900+ Tory councillors have lost their seats - because of her incompetence. Same lack of empathy and compassion she showed after 2017 GE losses. She is a disaster.
    >
    > You did not listen to her today on the media at tge Welsh conference doing exactly that
    >
    > The disaster you refer to is not only part TM fault but hugely the brexiteer's with their extreme views which look as if they are going to result in brexit failing.

I doubt it but frankly staying in would be a better option than May’s deal. I expect the Euro election results will end all talk of Brexit failing.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > > > @dr_spyn said:
    > >
    > > > Not sure I would ever try to pull leaflets back through a letter box, you never know what might grab your fingers.
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/CllrJeanieBell/status/1123917856176050177
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Could not the police be alerted to that? Plenty of evidence there!
    > >
    > > Let’s not distract them from fighting real crime, like checking what people say on twitter.
    >
    > But it represents clear photographic evidence of theft!Had that happened to me I would have sought to press charges.

If you prosecuted every party activist who pinched their opponent's leaflets when left in full view the police would never be doing anything else
  • Options
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > Chelmsford protesting slow progress of Brexit by voting LD, I see:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    > > > >
    > > > > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Protest vote politics
    > >
    > > Wot, like the Brexit referendum?
    >
    > Nope - how else explain the current polls for the Euro elections.

The ones showing the Brexit Party on less than a third of the votes?

We are seeing a #Remainbacklash. If the Tories ignore it, there will be more losses to come.

I see that in Ampfield and Braishfield ward the LD got 402 of the 978 votes cast on a 45.83% turnout, 8 spoiled ballots. Sounds more than a protest vote...
  • Options
    The Conservatives now lead Labour & Lib Dems by 2,797 to 2,784. But, their losses are just about to reach 1,000.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > Surely the Tories are not going to wait for the disaster that will be the Euro elections before giving May her marching orders. She’s tried, she’s failed and she has a proven record of failure - Brexit, 2017 GE and now the 2019 local elections.
    >
    > Probably best to leave her to soak up the EU elections disaster.
    >
    > I would think she'll be resigning soon after though...

May's Tories tied first in the NEV! Despite lots of Tory seat losses Labour still not making the progress it needs for a majority
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    > @El_Capitano said:
    > I think my council (Lancaster) must be the slowest count; they haven't got halfway through the ward results yet.
    >
    > Cherwell (North Oxfordshire) is being shockingly slow too. Of the wards declared so far, the main change appears, once again, to be independents gaining seats in wards where there's a lot of new housing development coming up.

Mansfield only just started.
  • Options
    > @Recidivist said:
    > Con could have lost 2000 seats in these local elections of the Brexit Party had stood!
    >
    > How do you work that out? UKIP are losing seats.

Shire Tories won't vote for racist parties and parties than hang out with thugs like Yaxley Lennon.

They will vote for the Brexit Party... As you'll see very, very soon. ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    1000 !!

DING DING

Conservative
    Total+/-
    Councils:
    Total78 +/--36
    Councillors:
    Total2842 +/--1004
  • Options
    > @MattW said:
    > > @El_Capitano said:
    > > I think my council (Lancaster) must be the slowest count; they haven't got halfway through the ward results yet.
    > >
    > > Cherwell (North Oxfordshire) is being shockingly slow too. Of the wards declared so far, the main change appears, once again, to be independents gaining seats in wards where there's a lot of new housing development coming up.
    >
    > Mansfield only just started.

To be fair they had mayoral elections to count first.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Con pass 1,000 losses!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719
    Thrasher/Sky GE Projection: A fecking mess
  • Options
    Still 36 councils left..
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,401
    That's the 1000 up. Still 36 councils to go.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > Surely the Tories are not going to wait for the disaster that will be the Euro elections before giving May her marching orders. She’s tried, she’s failed and she has a proven record of failure - Brexit, 2017 GE and now the 2019 local elections.
    > >
    > > Probably best to leave her to soak up the EU elections disaster.
    > >
    > > I would think she'll be resigning soon after though...
    >
    > May has tied first in the NEV!

Don’t think the 900+ councillors who’ve lost their seats care about that with the possible exception of your good self. Sorry to hear that BTW.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Recidivist said:
    > > Con could have lost 2000 seats in these local elections of the Brexit Party had stood!
    > >
    > > How do you work that out? UKIP are losing seats.
    >
    > Shire Tories won't vote for racist parties and parties than hang out with thugs like Yaxley Lennon.
    >
    > They will vote for the Brexit Party... As you'll see very, very soon. ;)

But only in a throwaway election that doesn’t (they assume) confer any responsibility.
  • Options
    Tories hold on to Canterbury Council. Bit of a coup that, considering the southern massacre.
  • Options
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > > Surely the Tories are not going to wait for the disaster that will be the Euro elections before giving May her marching orders. She’s tried, she’s failed and she has a proven record of failure - Brexit, 2017 GE and now the 2019 local elections.
    > > >
    > > > Probably best to leave her to soak up the EU elections disaster.
    > > >
    > > > I would think she'll be resigning soon after though...
    > >
    > > May has tied first in the NEV!
    >
    > Don’t think the 900+ councillors who’ve lost their seats care about that with the possible exception of your good self. Sorry to hear that BTW.

Make that 1000+ now. ;)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    The claims that today represents a big vote for a Referendum/Remain platform would be welcome if true but I don't buy it, unless we get something similar in the Euros. I suspect we won't.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Recidivist said:
    > > Con could have lost 2000 seats in these local elections of the Brexit Party had stood!
    > >
    >
    > Shire Tories won't vote for racist parties and parties than hang out with thugs like Yaxley Lennon.
    >

Like the old Farage led UKIP were going to win 100s of Westminster seats?
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > Chelmsford protesting slow progress of Brexit by voting LD, I see:
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    > > > > >
    > > > > > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Protest vote politics
    > > >
    > > > Wot, like the Brexit referendum?
    > >
    > > Nope - how else explain the current polls for the Euro elections.
    >
    > The ones showing the Brexit Party on less than a third of the votes?
    >
    > We are seeing a #Remainbacklash. If the Tories ignore it, there will be more losses to come.
    >
    > I see that in Ampfield and Braishfield ward the LD got 402 of the 978 votes cast on a 45.83% turnout, 8 spoiled ballots. Sounds more than a protest vote...

One third of the vote is a lot more than 18% of it.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Recidivist said:
    > >
    >
    >

Plenty of spolied ballot papers with BREXIT scrawled across them across the country too it seems
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719
    Tories have held our ward - under 200 votes in it, but 600 voted Green.

If only the electoral pact in our house extended through the town...
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Prof. Thrasher / Sky News, House of Commons forecast:

Con 280
    Lab 268
    SNP 53
    LD 28
    Others 21
  • Options
    UKIP and Labour almost tied for losses, 100 & 99.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > @Recidivist said:
    > > > Con could have lost 2000 seats in these local elections of the Brexit Party had stood!
    > > >
    > > > How do you work that out? UKIP are losing seats.
    > >
    > > Shire Tories won't vote for racist parties and parties than hang out with thugs like Yaxley Lennon.
    > >
    > > They will vote for the Brexit Party... As you'll see very, very soon. ;)
    >
    > Plenty of spolied ballot papers with BREXIT scrawled across them across the country too it seems

The one that got counted as a Tory vote and decided the contest is the only one that matters.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    > @felix said:
    > The claims that today represents a big vote for a Referendum/Remain platform would be welcome if true but I don't buy it, unless we get something similar in the Euros. I suspect we won't.

You're probably right. What it does do however is identify the LDs as the most prominent Remain Party, so the remain vote should coalesce around them.
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    > > > > >
    > > > > > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > >
    >
    >
    > We are seeing a #Remainbacklash. If the Tories ignore it, there will be more losses to come.
    >
    > I see that in Ampfield and Braishfield ward the LD got 402 of the 978 votes cast on a 45.83% turnout, 8 spoiled ballots. Sounds more than a protest vote...

If it’s a Remain backlash how do you explain the Euro polling or what the leaders in Leave voting councils in the North are saying. Ampfield and Braishfield is my ward. There was only a choice of 3 - Tory, Labour and LibDem. If you want make a protest vote against the Tories, who do you vote for.
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > UKIP and Labour almost tied for losses, 100 & 99.

100 each now according to BBC. The Tory result is appalling but Labour, jeez.
  • Options
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > Surely the Tories are not going to wait for the disaster that will be the Euro elections before giving May her marching orders. She’s tried, she’s failed and she has a proven record of failure - Brexit, 2017 GE and now the 2019 local elections.
    > > >
    > > > Probably best to leave her to soak up the EU elections disaster.
    > > >
    > > > I would think she'll be resigning soon after though...
    > >
    > > May has tied first in the NEV!
    >
    > Don’t think the 900+ councillors who’ve lost their seats care about that with the possible exception of your good self. Sorry to hear that BTW.

Thanks though it was close and I was not an incumbent (and it was town not district level).

As I have said before the Tories need Boris to win the next general election and win back Brexiteers who are staying at home or voting Brexit Party however as long as Corbyn leads Labour it seems Labour cannot get a clear lead even over May
  • Options
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > > > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > > Chelmsford protesting slow progress of Brexit by voting LD, I see:
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Protest vote politics
    > > > >
    > > > > Wot, like the Brexit referendum?
    > > >
    > > > Nope - how else explain the current polls for the Euro elections.
    > >
    > > The ones showing the Brexit Party on less than a third of the votes?
    > >
    > > We are seeing a #Remainbacklash. If the Tories ignore it, there will be more losses to come.
    > >
    > > I see that in Ampfield and Braishfield ward the LD got 402 of the 978 votes cast on a 45.83% turnout, 8 spoiled ballots. Sounds more than a protest vote...
    >
    > If it’s a Remain backlash how do you explain the Euro polling or what the leaders in Leave voting councils in the North are saying. Ampfield and Braishfield is my ward. There was only a choice of 3 - Tory, Labour and LibDem. If you want make a protest vote against the Tories, who do you vote for.

I wouldn't get into an argument about it, it's pointless. The Euro elections in just three weeks' time will provide the true Brexit picture, one way or another.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > > Surely the Tories are not going to wait for the disaster that will be the Euro elections before giving May her marching orders. She’s tried, she’s failed and she has a proven record of failure - Brexit, 2017 GE and now the 2019 local elections.
    > > > >
    > > > > Probably best to leave her to soak up the EU elections disaster.
    > > > >
    > > > > I would think she'll be resigning soon after though...
    > > >
    > > > May has tied first in the NEV!
    > >
    > > Don’t think the 900+ councillors who’ve lost their seats care about that with the possible exception of your good self. Sorry to hear that BTW.
    >
    > Make that 1000+ now. ;)

Yep - and rising, with minimal UKIP opposition and no Brexit Party or CUK candidates. How bad does it have to get before May goes.
  • Options
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > > Chelmsford protesting slow progress of Brexit by voting LD, I see:
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Protest vote politics
    > > > >
    > > > > Wot, like the Brexit referendum?
    > > >
    > > > Nope - how else explain the current polls for the Euro elections.
    > >
    > > The ones showing the Brexit Party on less than a third of the votes?
    > >
    > > We are seeing a #Remainbacklash. If the Tories ignore it, there will be more losses to come.
    > >
    > > I see that in Ampfield and Braishfield ward the LD got 402 of the 978 votes cast on a 45.83% turnout, 8 spoiled ballots. Sounds more than a protest vote...
    >
    > If it’s a Remain backlash how do you explain the Euro polling or what the leaders in Leave voting councils in the North are saying. Ampfield and Braishfield is my ward. There was only a choice of 3 - Tory, Labour and LibDem. If you want make a protest vote against the Tories, who do you vote for.

It is strange indeed to protest slow progress in Brexit, by voting for an explicitly Remain party!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Labour forgot the big lesson of the Coalition. If you are not the Tories, oppose the Tories. If you prop them up or enable their Brexit policy, the electorate will be harsh.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124331160442687488
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Is losing middle/upper class graduates and gaining white working class voters a good swap?
    >
    > The middle/upper class graduates culturally dislike the Tories. It’s like when Gove tried to cuddle up to Greta and then the Extinction Rebellion lot said it wasn’t enough. They never will be satisfied no matter how progressive you try to be because there’s plenty of nuttier alternatives. And in doing so the small ‘c’ conservative vote looks elsewhere too.

What will be interesting is how that group of voters will react when they increasingly realise that a Labour government under current leadership and strong momentum influence will seriously damage their living standards. I suspect LDs and Greens will gain plus a lot of secret Tory voting.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Leicester council

Lab 53
    LD 1
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    > @Recidivist said:
    >
    > How do you work that out? UKIP are losing seats.

Mainly by not standing.

Not sure a disorganised party polling in the 3-4% "losing seats" by failing to stand candidates tells you what would be happening if a party polling up to 30% had stood everywhere, even if those parties have a couple of significant similarities.
  • Options
    Independents + Residents Association over 500 gains. A really remarkable rejection of the mainstream parties.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/status/1124341349451542528

I don't understand this. Labour are performing better in Remainy southern areas than in Brexity northern areas. How is that an argument that they should be going full second referendum/remain? Unless you want a Labour party that no longer represents the very people it was established to represent.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sean_F said:

> @Foxy said:

> > @AmpfieldAndy said:

> > > @Foxy said:

> > > > > > @Foxy said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

One third of the vote is a lot more than 18% of it.
    Are you expecting 100% turnout for the Euros?
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > > > > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > > > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > > > Chelmsford protesting slow progress of Brexit by voting LD, I see:
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1124233209804468224?s=19
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > The poor start to the cricket season by Essex would be another factor.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Protest vote politics
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Wot, like the Brexit referendum?
    > > > >
    > > > > Nope - how else explain the current polls for the Euro elections.
    > > >
    > > > The ones showing the Brexit Party on less than a third of the votes?
    > > >
    > > > We are seeing a #Remainbacklash. If the Tories ignore it, there will be more losses to come.
    > > >
    > > > I see that in Ampfield and Braishfield ward the LD got 402 of the 978 votes cast on a 45.83% turnout, 8 spoiled ballots. Sounds more than a protest vote...
    > >
    > > If it’s a Remain backlash how do you explain the Euro polling or what the leaders in Leave voting councils in the North are saying. Ampfield and Braishfield is my ward. There was only a choice of 3 - Tory, Labour and LibDem. If you want make a protest vote against the Tories, who do you vote for.
    >
    > It is strange indeed to protest slow progress in Brexit, by voting for an explicitly Remain party!

Unless it’s protest vote politics !
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > > > > > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > > > > > Surely the Tories are not going to wait for the disaster that will be the Euro elections before giving May her marching orders. She’s tried, she’s failed and she has a proven record of failure - Brexit, 2017 GE and now the 2019 local elections.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Probably best to leave her to soak up the EU elections disaster.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I would think she'll be resigning soon after though...
    > > > >
    > > > > May has tied first in the NEV!
    > > >
    > > > Don’t think the 900+ councillors who’ve lost their seats care about that with the possible exception of your good self. Sorry to hear that BTW.
    > >
    > > Make that 1000+ now. ;)
    >
    > Yep - and rising, with minimal UKIP opposition and no Brexit Party or CUK candidates. How bad does it have to get before May goes.

The Tories should still just about win most seats.

The 1000 losses the Tories are suffering are bad but mirror the 1161 losses Labour suffered in 1999, 2 years later Labour still won the general election
  • Options
    I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.
  • Options
    That next 50 losses came up really fast. Still 32 councils to declare. Over 1,200 now nailed on I think.
  • Options
    > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > @felix said:
    > > The claims that today represents a big vote for a Referendum/Remain platform would be welcome if true but I don't buy it, unless we get something similar in the Euros. I suspect we won't.
    >
    > You're probably right. What it does do however is identify the LDs as the most prominent Remain Party, so the remain vote should coalesce around them.

Not nessecarily. Greens have done very well where they have stood, and tend to draw more support in Euro elections.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    The Greens have just taken a seat off the Tories in Kidlington, Cherwell (North Oxfordshire). What's particularly interesting is that this was a Green-LibDem alliance - the Greens stood aside in one seat, the Lib Dems in another.

Ian Middleton, Green: 1,089
    Anthony Morris, UKIP: 214
    Neil Prestidge, Conservatives: 1,016
    John Stansby, Labour: 377

https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1124336415322640386
  • Options
    Genuine question ; imagine these results had happened under 'normal' circumstances (no Brexit) would there be pressure on a Tory leader to go?
  • Options
    > @Sean_F said:
    > I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.

And Surrey, Hertfordshire, etc. Surrey is now the Tory front line!
  • Options
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @Sean_F said:
    > > I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.
    >
    > And Surrey, Hertfordshire, etc. Surrey is now the Tory front line!
    >

Hertfordshire was okay, I thought. It's strange that Surrey should have produced such different results to Berkshire, or neighbouring parts of Hampshire.
  • Options
    > @Sean_F said:
    > I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.

A lot of Brexiteers stayed at home.

On the estates in Epping Forest it was a very low turnout, in Waltham Abbey Britain First also won a seat
  • Options
    > @Jonathan said:
    > Labour forgot the big lesson of the Coalition. If you are not the Tories, oppose the Tories. If you prop them up or enable their Brexit policy, the electorate will be harsh.

Their mission is now to “bail the Tories out” according to one shadow cabinet member.
  • Options
    > @El_Capitano said:
    > The Greens have just taken a seat off the Tories in Kidlington, Cherwell (North Oxfordshire). What's particularly interesting is that this was a Green-LibDem alliance - the Greens stood aside in one seat, the Lib Dems in another.
    >
    > Ian Middleton, Green: 1,089
    > Anthony Morris, UKIP: 214
    > Neil Prestidge, Conservatives: 1,016
    > John Stansby, Labour: 377
    >
    > https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1124336415322640386

Yes, they've been doing that in a lot of places, including in Canterbury where it worked to remove the Tory head of the council.
  • Options
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @Sean_F said:
    > > I'm surprised by how badly the Conservatives did in Essex.
    >
    > And Surrey, Hertfordshire, etc. Surrey is now the Tory front line!
    >

Yet the Tories gained seats in Stoke and Bolsover
This discussion has been closed.