Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden might be topping the polls for the Democratic nomination

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Like so much of ERG they are utterly useless at thinking

TM or ANO will make no difference to the maths
    Useless at thinking; useless and plotting; useless and counting; useless at explaining the benefits of Brexit.

Excellent at unfocused rage; excellent at lying.

A plague on them all.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    edited April 2019

I wonder what a Venn diagram of No Deal Leavers, Trump supporters, Climate Change Deniers and Anti-Vaxxers would look like.

The Vax I'm not so sure about but re the other 3 it would not be far from a recognizable circle.

Likewise and the other way, ardent Remainers, vegans, proficient players of the bassoon. Almost perfect correlation there.

Not all ardent Remainers are vegans but almost all vegans are ardent Remainers.

Not all ardent Remainers are proficient on the bassoon (very few in fact) but almost all proficient bassoonists are ardent Remainers.

And to complete the picture - not all vegans can play the bassoon but almost all who do play the bassoon (to a good standard) are vegan.

EDIT: That last one could be arrant nonsense, but the point stands.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

algarkirk said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Mango said:

HYUFD said:
    It's great to see all these Tories outing themselves. I mean, I always suspected they were proto-fascists, but when you align yourself with Farage, the case is closed.
    The fascists are going to get a lot of votes at the upcoming election. Just sayin'
    I wonder what total percentage the parties led by Corbyn, Farage and Batten will get at the Euro elections...
    Using terms like fascist or p. This isn't about fascism or anything like it. Calm down.
    The constant politics.
    Labeling people as members of Death Cults in the age of ISIS is just fine and dandy though.
    No deal Leavers show all the markings of a cult and are completely indifferent to any chaos, death and destruction that it will cause. Hence, death cult.
    Your use of it is risible and demeans you. You clearly need to have that pointed out.
    No deal Leavers’ constant loyalty tests, shunning of the unclean and messianic belief in the redemptive powers of Brexit no matter what the human cost make it a sober description.

You don’t like it? Tough. Show some interest in the human suffering your deranged policy position could cause.
    It's not my policy position. I've always supported May's deal.

You just sound rather deranged using such a stupid epithet.
    I’m still awaiting a straight answer from Leavers as to how many avoidable deaths they think would be tolerable as a result of a No Deal Brexit. They seem to think it’s an unfair question, which is only conceivably the case if the answer is not zero.

But the cleansing power of Brexit will no doubt wash away their sins.
    it;s just a stupid question

we have avoidable deaths atm. the question should be about additional avoidable deaths

I struggle to believe you are allowed to work on pensions
    Learn to read.

“ how many avoidable deaths... as a result of No Deal Brexit”.

I struggle to believe that you can’t come up with a better answer than that.
    It's a question along the lines of "when did you last stop beating your wife." You are not expecting anyone to give an answer to it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scripting is great.

I've just downloaded 28MB of tweets from Change UK candidates' feeds.

Read them with an open mind and you may learn something, or is that not your intention?
    I did have an open mind about TIG. I hoped that they might have some fresh ideas and bring some fresh energy to centre-left politics, just as (say) the Green Party do.

But instead we get this: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6954283/Change-UK-group-plots-destroy-Lib-Dems.html . It's dismal. Really dismal.

That said, I've just found something that will probably torpedo the Conservatives' chances in my local seat this time round, so that'll do for now (not an embarrassing tweet, a development policy that'll screw over a lot of local people).
    I quite like some individual Tiggers, but the collective is a big disappointment. LD in the Locals and Green in the Euros for me. Young Greta has inspired me.
    Fake news is pretty powerful as a propaganda tool, isn't it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

in which party list for Euro elections she will show up?

She sounds like something out of Viz meets the Daily Mash.

KUWAITI ACADEMIC CLAIMS GAY MEN HAVE AN 'ANAL WORM' THAT 'FEEDS ON SEMEN'
    Mariam Al-Sohel argued the anal worm makes gay men attracted to other men

An academic in Kuwait has claimed she has a ‘cure’ for homosexuality saying gay men have an ‘anal worm’ that ‘feeds on semen’.

Mariam Al-Sohel claimed on Scope TV that she believes there are four genders – male, female, feminine gay men and butch lesbians – and she explained how she has found a cure for being gay based on Islamic prophecy.

She said: “I discovered therapeutic suppositories that curb the sexual urges of boys of the third gender.

“As well as the fourth gender, which is butch lesbians. This is all science, so there’s nothing to be ashamed of.

https://attitude.co.uk/article/kuwaiti-academic-claims-gay-men-have-an-anal-worm-that-feeds-on-semen/20804/

In what subject is her PhD and where did she she get it?
    Piss poor due diligence is the cause of this. I am not surprised.

Due diligence on employees is usually one of banks' - and I expect other employers as well - weakest spots. The stories I could tell!

People simply don't take this stuff seriously enough. And given the very tight timetable which CUK gave themselves I'm not surprised they are finding all sorts of stuff now which ought to have been picked up sooner.
    umm, I think TSE posted this as a general interest story. The suggestion that she is standing in the euro elections is a frivolous one.

I was responding to the points raised about some potential CUK MEPs not having been vetted well enough.
    The role of Guv of the Bank of England has gone out to headhunters.

Word is they would like a woman.

CV up to date?
    Carney shafted the best candidate when he lied about something she had told him
    Oooh. Are you referring to Ms Hogg?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

in which party list for Euro elections she will show up?

She sounds like something out of Viz meets the Daily Mash.

KUWAITI ACADEMIC CLAIMS GAY MEN HAVE AN 'ANAL WORM' THAT 'FEEDS ON SEMEN'
    Mariam Al-Sohel argued the anal worm makes gay men attracted to other men

An academic in Kuwait has claimed she has a ‘cure’ for homosexuality saying gay men have an ‘anal worm’ that ‘feeds on semen’.

Mariam Al-Sohel claimed on Scope TV that she believes there are four genders – male, female, feminine gay men and butch lesbians – and she explained how she has found a cure for being gay based on Islamic prophecy.

She said: “I discovered therapeutic suppositories that curb the sexual urges of boys of the third gender.

“As well as the fourth gender, which is butch lesbians. This is all science, so there’s nothing to be ashamed of.

https://attitude.co.uk/article/kuwaiti-academic-claims-gay-men-have-an-anal-worm-that-feeds-on-semen/20804/

In what subject is her PhD and where did she she get it?
    Piss poor due diligence is the cause of this. I am not surprised.

Due diligence on employees is usually one of banks' - and I expect other employers as well - weakest spots. The stories I could tell!

People simply don't take this stuff seriously enough. And given the very tight timetable which CUK gave themselves I'm not surprised they are finding all sorts of stuff now which ought to have been picked up sooner.
    umm, I think TSE posted this as a general interest story. The suggestion that she is standing in the euro elections is a frivolous one.

I was responding to the points raised about some potential CUK MEPs not having been vetted well enough.
    The role of Guv of the Bank of England has gone out to headhunters.

Word is they would like a woman.

CV up to date?
    Carney shafted the best candidate when he lied about something she had told him
    CH?
    That would be Honorable CH to you, pal.
  • Options

So looks like Crispin Blunt doesn't have the numbers to oust Speaker Bercow, who could have foreseen that?

Consistent with the collective of ERG. Clueless
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Mango said:
    The fascists are going to get a lot of votes at the upcoming election. Just sayin'
    I wonder what total percentage the parties led by Corbyn, Farage and Batten will get at the Euro elections...
    Using terms like fascist or proto-fascist for politicians who run robust democratic campaigns and appeal to millions of centrist voters - the sort who often vote Tory or Labour - is a bad use of language and does not advance an argument. People keep forgetting that our political debate is in divisive turmoil because the centrist population has been split (16m - 17m approx.) on a binary issue. This isn't about fascism or anything like it. Calm down.
    The constant appeals to the
    Labeling people as members of Death Cults in the age of ISIS is just fine and dandy though.
    No deal Leavers show all the markings of a cult and are completely indifferent to any chaos, death and destruction that it will cause. Hence, death cult.
    Your use of it is risible and demeans you. You clearly need to have that pointed out.
    No deal Leavers’ constant loyalty e.

I’m still awaiting a straight answer from Leavers as to how many avoidable deaths they think would be tolerable as a result of a No Deal Brexit. They seem to think it’s an unfair question, which is only conceivably the case if the answer is not zero.

While Brexiteers are rather cavalier about the sufferings of others, I think that deaths are unlikely. A certain amount of administrative and logistic chaos certainly, but the reality of No Deal Brexit will be a damp squib. A bit like waking up with a hangover in piss stained trousers having insulted everyone at the office party.
    Just for you...

St Dunstan was once asked to reshoe the Devil’s cloven hoof. He fixed a red hot shoe to it and refused to remove it until the Devil promised never to enter any building with a horseshoe afixed to the wall (the origin of the superstition)

I think you can say St Dunstan nailed it

• Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729

Mr. Charles, could you elaborate on that?

Hope Christian Legrande is not in the frame. That would be an appointment too far
    Christine Lagarde?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

algarkirk said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Mango said:

HYUFD said:
    It's great to see all these Tories outing themselves. I mean, I always suspected they were proto-fascists, but when you align yourself with Farage, the case is closed.
    I wonde elections...
    Using terms like fascist or p. This isn't about fascism or anything like it. Calm down.
    The constant politics.
    No deal Leavers show all the markings . Hence, death cult.
    No deal Leavers’ c cause.

we have avoidable deaths atm. the question should be about additional avoidable deaths

Learn to read.

firstly your question asked how many deaths would be tolerable

its a meaningless question the answer whether in or out should be zero, but thats not todays reality and never will be

the issue if - indeed there is one- is does a no deal Brexit increase or decrease the number of avoidable deaths compared to the current status and frankly only time will tell

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Sean_F said:

algarkirk said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Mango said:

HYUFD said:
    The constant politics.
    No deal Leavers’ constant loyalty tests, shunning of the unclean and messianic belief in the redemptive powers of Brexit no matter what the human cost make it a sober description.

You don’t like it? Tough. Show some interest in the human suffering your deranged policy position could cause.

This thread is really circling the plughole.
    It certainly seems to have driven some people round the bend
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Hope Christian Legrande is not in the frame. That would be an appointment too far
    Claude Juncker, just for the LOLs :)
    And it is Christine not Christian, my error
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sean_F said:

algarkirk said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

The constant politics.

Learn to read.

It's a question along the lines of "when did you last stop beating your wife." You are not expecting anyone to give an answer to it.
    If the answer were zero it would be easy to give. Clearly it isn’t.

In any case, I have yet to find a Leaver advocate who is prepared to identify any basis on which his or her support for Brexit is contingent on developments. It is a religious belief system and if it demands extreme sacrifices, so be it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

Risible indeed. After such hyperbolic insulting crap, do you seriously still expect people who disagree with you on No Deal Brexit (i.e. whether the UK can get better terms if settling the substance of negotiations after rather than before leaving the EU) to take seriously or even bother to read any future threads you may pen on the subject of Brexit?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Next Governor of the Bank of England: Theresa May. She's a woman, she has relevant experience having worked at the BoE for 6 years and at the APCS for 12 years. She's well known internationally, and she'll be available. Should be a shoo-in.
  • Options

So looks like Crispin Blunt doesn't have the numbers to oust Speaker Bercow, who could have foreseen that?

same old, same old - like the ERG 'coups', they are all mouth and no trousers.

so whilst I've been away, the biggest news appears to be your new avatar...

shakes head...

Oh and a certain semi
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729

In any case, I have yet to find a Leaver advocate who is prepared to identify any basis on which his or her support for Brexit is contingent on developments. It is a religious belief system and if it demands extreme sacrifices, so be it.

If Brexit reduces avoidable deaths, will you consider it a success?
  • Options

Consistent with the collective of ERG. Clueless
    Clueless and game playing, while the Tory party is being razed to the ground by Farage.
  • Options

Christine Lagarde?
    Yes indeed
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    Cyclefree said:

What strange creatures men are.

I am not going to ask what else goes on at your leisure club. Ignorance is bliss, I feel.

:-)

Lips are sealed in any case. Reputations at stake.
  • Options

Risible indeed. After such hyperbolic insulting crap, do you seriously still expect people who disagree with you on No Deal Brexit (i.e. whether the UK can get better terms if settling the substance of negotiations after rather than before leaving the EU) to take seriously or even bother to read any future threads you may pen on the subject of Brexit?
    Clearly in the non-zero column too.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

algarkirk said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

The constant politics.

I’m still awaiting a straight answer from Leavers a zero.

Learn to read.

bonkers
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    In important news, I discovered I still had a little coffee fudge left. It remains delicious.
  • Options

Spartan if of the day. A policy that is highly disruptive and makes the country relatively poorer, sucking resources out of public services, is most unlikely to reduce avoidable deaths.

The spiritual rewards for Leavers, no doubt, will be compensatory.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

One thing I have never grasped is why many arch Brexiteers like RobD are so viscerally opposed to Scottish independence. It really is a contradiction of gigantic proportions.

Brexit is a contradiction of gigantic proportions. Like Scottish Nationalism it is a belief set of the Neanderthal. You don't have to be stupid to believe in it, but it helps.
    Latest evidence suggests that Neanderthals were highly intelligent. Stop indulging in prejudiced speciesm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/8898321/Neanderthals-were-too-smart-for-their-own-good.html
  • Options

Spartan if of the day. A policy that is highly disruptive and makes the country relatively poorer, sucking resources out of public services, is most unlikely to reduce avoidable deaths.

lol

you avoided the straight answer you were seeking off other
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited April 2019

shakes head...

Oh and a certain semi
    So would you prefer to lose the semi to Ajax or lose the final to Liverpool?

As for my avatar I'm shocked as you but is for one day only.

GGMU.

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/1121062932022951937

At least I'm not supporting Mark Reckless.

PS - Last week's match was this generation's Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    The Tories have become utterly hopeless when it comes to knifing their leaders.

They're almost as bad as Labour were from 2008-2010.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

@ Alistair Meeks, if Brexit supporters were to kick off a civil war, or impose a dictatorship by a pro-Brexit leader, or if we suffered an economic slump similar to 1929-31, or suffered similar calamaties, then I would conclude that Brexit was a mistake.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why knifing. Sacking if you like
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@ Alistair Meeks, if Brexit supporters were to kick off a civil war, or impose a dictatorship by a pro-Brexit leader, or if we suffered an economic slump similar to 1929-31, or suffered similar calamaties, then I would conclude that Brexit was a mistake.

lol

I thought all of that was nailed on anyway

now I feel cheated :-)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    _Anazina_ said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Another reason not to live in Essex.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1121016340867891200

Your dimwitted prejudice about Essex, even in jest, is as narrow-minded as your equally dimwitted prejudice against France.

Have you ever bobbed along the Stour at Dedham Vale, or rambled the northern reaches of Epping Forest on a sultry late-spring day?

Get out more man.

Essex is a wonderful place.
    To be fair, Sharon &Tracey International, as it is known in pilot circles, used to be a sleepy disused airport used only by the occasional passing light aircraft. People living nearby can hardly have imagined that some RyanAir wannabe would pitch up and start landing large airliners there.
    That RyanAir wannabe being Ryanair? (at least judging by the picture)
    Safer to train in a sea plane? :D
    Not if the plan is to return to an airfield adjacent to the M25
    That's North Weald, not Southend.
    In my case, it was Stapleford. Fact remains, no-one is ever going to take off in a seaplane from either.
    Very true. More to the point, land.
    I’d like to see someone take off in a seaplane from either! Maybe possible from the grass alongside the runways.
    Depends on how the rain has been recently, I suppose. We don't get that much is Essex.
    Indeed Essex is Britain's driest county I believe, and also has the most islands of any English county and therefore the longest coastline.

St Osyth, inland from Clacton, is the driest settlement in the UK.
    I think Cornwall has a longer coastline, TBH. There was something about it somewhere in a corner of the Press recently.
    Driest place in England used to be Gt Wakering, just N Of Southend. It was the jumping off place for the Weapons Research place on Foulness Island.

It was a terrible shock for me when I moved from Essex to Lancashire as a young man. Didn't believe it could rain as much.
  • Options
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793

Brexit may well solve the obesity crisis, as indolent Brits get conscripted to the Land Army, to gather in the new turnip based diet, thereby saving many avoidable deaths.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    The people of Essex know a good thing when they see it!

https://twitter.com/bbcessex/status/1121022172150083584?s=21
  • Options
    isam said:
    I've never seen so many white people in one place.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Widdecombe on about re-negotiating the backstop again on PM. One really does despair at times.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    isam said:
    No doubt the Brexit Broadcasting Commission which is BBC East will lead on that tonight.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

algarkirk said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Mango said:

HYUFD said:
    The constant politics.

This thread is really circling the plughole.
    It certainly seems to have driven some people round the bend
    Plumbing new depths.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:
    I thought it was footage of the Peoples Vote march at first!
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Another fantastic example of ERG piss and wind.

Mike Smithson nailed them ages ago.

Theresa May lives on. And on. And on. And on.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    _Anazina_ said:

This saga is perfect tonic for insomniacs.
    It's like GOT, just with more tits.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think it's a figure of speech that probably harks back to Caesar?
  • Options
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:
    You should have been there, quite a mixed crowd where I was.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Another fantastic example of ERG piss and wind.

Mike Smithson nailed them ages ago.

Theresa May lives on. And on. And on. And on.

The ERG really are clueless . None of the leadership candidates want to deal with Brexit as they’d have to stop carping from the sidelines and face reality .
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

_Anazina_ said:

This saga is perfect tonic for insomniacs.
    It's like GOT, just with more tits.
    I can't see that any of them comes within a nano of the characters in Game of Thrones.

Except Theon. Obvs.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:
    Was washing my hair, darn it!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:
    When do the broadcasting rules kick in? Yet another event for Farage covered by Beeb.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Yay, he's going to get expelled from the Tory Party.
    Along with over half the membership and almost half the councillors?
    So be it.

Voting for another party is high treason if you're a Tory MP/councillor/activist.

Normally you're expert in telling people they aren't Tories, so I'd assume you'd be in favour of these expulsions.
    HYUFD is a closet Kipper.
    No, I even voted Remain but I also know if the Tories do not deliver Brexit there will be little Tory Party left and the Brexit Party will take its place
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Hard to know who is the bigger ditherer, Sturgeon or May?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Next Governor of the Bank of England: Theresa May. She's a woman, she has relevant experience having worked at the BoE for 6 years and at the APCS for 12 years. She's well known internationally, and she'll be available. Should be a shoo-in.

Sterling crisis within six weeks. Can't think there are many people with confidence in her.
  • Options
    JackJackJackJack Posts: 98
    The supposed "making us poorer" element of Brexit is entirely based on estimates from people that estimated we would have already had negative growth. If you dress numbers up with the right presentation and have them presented by people with the right qualifications, it doesn't matter how rigorous they are. A certain type of person will always accept them no matter the track record.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019

isam said:
    No doubt the Brexit Broadcasting Commission which is BBC East will lead on that tonight.
    Well it probably offsets the BBC making the Tiggers candidate launch yesterday their headline news story on their website - and barely registering the Brexit party one.

It might surprise you but the BBC really isn't biased in favour of Brexit - about the only place where it gets arguably more positive treatment is at 11.45pm on Thursday nights and that won't last beyond July!

I doubt the BBC east crowd in Norwich and Cambridge venture much to Clacton anyway!
  • Options

isam said:
    By my reckoning the EU election broadcasting rules should click in this weekend (25 days from poll).

Will we see a reduction in the continuous reporting of Farage's every move by BBC then?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Another reason not to live in Essex.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1121016340867891200

Your dimwitted prejudice about Essex, even in jest, is as narrow-minded as your equally dimwitted prejudice against France.

Have you ever bobbed along the Stour at Dedham Vale, or rambled the northern reaches of Epping Forest on a sultry late-spring day?

Get out more man.

Essex is a wonderful place.
    The sad thing about 'Southend" Airport.......its actually not within the confines of the borough.... is that back in the 50's, in the days of very noisy and slow propellor driven planes it was very noisy indeed. I attended a school right under the flight path and some class-rooms were almost unusable at time of heavy traffic. Then it went into decline and was almost all club-flying with some freight. Now it's been brought back to life as a proper commercial airport, but in the meantime houses have been built close to the perimeter.

And yes there are some bad parts of Essex, but as _Anazina says there are some lovely areas. As well as those she mentions, there's most of the coast, once South of Clacton right down to Southend. And there are some really ancient buildings; St Peters at Bradwell was bullt in the 600's, there are some even older in Colchester.
    North Essex really belongs in Suffolk. On that point there really isn’t any argument.
    I suggest you come round here and say that. You'd be surprised how unpopular you'd be.
    Those southern Suffolkers mispronounce the Stour, for one thing

The only patch of Essex where I have done any serious door knocking is in Saffron Walden. I am pretty sure those residents would bite your hand off if you came offering cessation to Suffolk.

Edit/ or Cambridgeshire
    I was on the board of a company in SW. they called it south Cambridge
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Foxy said:

Brexit may well solve the obesity crisis, as indolent Brits get conscripted to the Land Army, to gather in the new turnip based diet, thereby saving many avoidable deaths.
    Gammons gonna live forever....
  • Options
    That 'nothing has changed' nightly summary:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1121088079941505024
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I think it's a figure of speech that probably harks back to Caesar?
    In these days of violence, towards women especially, it is not necessary as there are many alternatives
  • Options

Surely Andrea Leadsome is better qualified?
  • Options
    JackJackJackJack Posts: 98
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    So be it.

Voting for another party is high treason if you're a Tory MP/councillor/activist.

Normally you're expert in telling people they aren't Tories, so I'd assume you'd be in favour of these expulsions.
    No, I even voted Remain but I also know if the Tories do not deliver Brexit there will be little Tory Party left and the Brexit Party will take its place
    Exactly right.

The only way I could see the Tories being replaced by the Brexit Party is if they suspended half their membership.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    @TheScreamingEagles

You have vanilla mail.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    JackJack said:

The supposed "making us poorer" element of Brexit is entirely based on estimates from people that estimated we would have already had negative growth. If you dress numbers up with the right presentation and have them presented by people with the right qualifications, it doesn't matter how rigorous they are. A certain type of person will always accept them no matter the track record.

Brexit is one of a hundred different factors affecting UK growth going forward.

If Brexit results in us having higher trade barriers with the rest of the world going forward, then it will likely negatively impact on growth. If it results in us having lower trade barriers, it will likely result in us having higher growth. But that will still only be one piece of the puzzle. Other things matter as much or even more: like, the UK's extraordinary dependence on consumer spending as a driver of growth. Or, indeed, the external demand environment, and price of oil and natural gas.

* Right now, as we've failed to replicate many of the EU's existing arrangements a No Deal Brexit would result in us having higher trade barriers in the short term with 60-65% of our partners. Now, that will right itself in time, but I think it's naive to assume that would have no impact at all.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    rcs1000 said:

* Right now, as we've failed to replicate many of the EU's existing arrangements a No Deal Brexit would result in us having higher trade barriers in the short term with 60-65% of our partners. Now, that will right itself in time, but I think it's naive to assume that would have no impact at all.

You can't blame Liam Fox for a No Deal Brexit not replicating existing arrangements with the EU.
  • Options
    JackJack said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    So be it.

Exactly right.

The only way I could see the Tories being replaced by the Brexit Party is if they suspended half their membership.
    If they were stupid enough to do that May really would end up the UK Kim Campbell
  • Options
    PloppikinsPloppikins Posts: 126
    The 'brexit is like a cult' brigade need to take a long lie down in a dark room. It's a GCSE sociology level of analysis which could be made about hundreds of things! Political parties, rock bands, etc. It just serves to make the writer of such a comparison look hysterical.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

Funnily enough, what has changed is that all three of those things have become more unlikely.
  • Options

Nothing. Has. Changed. :D
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    GIN1138 said:

Nothing. Has. Changed. :D
    except the thread
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    edited April 2019

Clearly in the non-zero column too.
    Zero. And zero for any thinkable outcome.

The mistake keeps being made that Leavers (or Remainers) are some sort of nutter or zealot. This cannot be true of either group taken as a whole, as the voting means inevitably (16m v 17m) that the overwhelming majority on either side are quiet political centrists. There aren't enough zealots to go round.
  • Options
    JackJack said:

That’s simply untrue.

Try again, cultist.
  • Options

shakes head...

Oh and a certain semi
    So would you prefer to lose the semi to Ajax or lose the final to Liverpool?

As for my avatar I'm shocked as you but is for one day only.

GGMU.

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/1121062932022951937

At least I'm not supporting Mark Reckless.

PS - Last week's match was this generation's Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3.
    Any semi victory would be a welcome breakthrough!! It wasn't too shabby last week was it....
This discussion has been closed.