Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pete Buttigieg’s an interesting candidate but shouldn’t be a f

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    I think that would produce a result of something like:

Labour 20
    Conservative 14
    Brexit 14
    UKIP 10
    Green6
    Lib Dem 2
    Change 1
    SNP2
    Plaid 1
    Northern Ireland 3

In terms of maximising representation at regional level, it's an almost perfect result for anti-EU parties, at the same time as wasting a huge number of votes for pro-EU parties. Either one of the pro-EU parties has to break out of the pack, or they all have to pull votes away from Labour.

Does the seat allocation actually matter, though? What everyone will be looking at is the Leave/Remain split. If the election does turn into a quasi-referendum, Labour could find itself losing votes.

The UK sending 38 MEPs who are somewhere between lukewarm and absolute zero on the EU - many wanting to make life as awkward as they can in Brussels - is what Brussels will see.

Brussels is used to that. If they take their seats, most anti-EU UK MEPs will do what they’ve always done: nothing, except make the odd speech.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Well I’m going canvassing in Yorkshire today.

I’ll let you how bad it is for the blue meanies.

Which party will you be canvassing for ?
    :smile:

Ruth Davidson’s Tory party.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    There is a question I have that nobody else seems to be interested in. What does Roger Scruton know about housing?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Nigelb said:

Sounds like a bit of trek from the North.

Have fun! Wrap up warm.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    isam said:

Nigelb said:

isam said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Very worrying polling for the Tories. Perhaps those of us who said that failing to deliver Brexit guarantees a Corbyn Government were right after all?

A No Deal Brexit ensures a Corbyn premiership.

I also remember back in 2016 by Tory Leavers that only a Leave victory would unite the Tory party and country.
    We could have left with a deal by now, if it weren’t for the stupidity of 40 of our MPs.
    The stupidity was allowing the meaningful vote. As soon as that was permissible, the referendum was betrayed.
    So allowing a democratic vote on the implementation of Brexit amounts to ‘betrayal’ ?

In what way does the country owe allegiance to a referendum vote ?

Yes.

Anyone with a sense of honour would not have to ask that question
    Pffft.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Mr. Eagles, which bit of Yorkshire, though?

I know you'll know this, but for those unaware, politically Yorkshire gets bluer to the north and redder to the south, with West Yorkshire full of marginals, the People's Republic of South Yorkshire, and the Toryland National Park in North Yorkshire.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    nunuone said:

He’s rising in the polls, getting lots of favourable media coverage, breaking out into public awareness and the money is flowing in. His odds aren’t that silly. He’s got momentum.

Being gay is a plus not a minus. By the end of his run political palaeontologists will be looking at the political corpses his sexuality has attracted in the way their science cousins look at the tar pits of La Brea.

His price may well be a bit too short now but it looks like it’s shortening a way yet. I expect I’ll be laying him eventually but he is going to continue moving through the field. He’s got talent and a distinctive pitch. No doubt it will be tested soon enough.

Mayor Pete being gay, I feel is a positive in a Democratic primary that takes intersectionality very seriously.
    Pretty poor when the only good point in you being president is that you are gay. Has the guy not got any talents or things that may make him a presidential candidate.
    FFS. Next we will be getting told that xxx being a prostitute is a bonus for her candidacy.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Nigelb said:

I’d vote for that.

Shame it’s not on the ballot.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Nigelb said:

Have fun! Wrap up warm.
    It’s in Yorkshire. I’m in Andrea Jenkyns/ Stuart Andrew territory
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

He’s rising in the polls, getting lots of favourable media coverage, breaking out into public awareness and the money is flowing in. His odds aren’t that silly. He’s got momentum.

Being gay is a plus not a minus. By the end of his run political palaeontologists will be looking at the political corpses his sexuality has attracted in the way their science cousins look at the tar pits of La Brea.

His price may well be a bit too short now but it looks like it’s shortening a way yet. I expect I’ll be laying him eventually but he is going to continue moving through the field. He’s got talent and a distinctive pitch. No doubt it will be tested soon enough.

He is the subject of my first ever political bet, courtesy of my son who first mentioned him to me ages ago.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nunuone said:

Mayor Pete being gay, I feel is a positive in a Democratic primary that takes intersectionality very seriously.
    Pretty poor when the only good point in you being president is that you are gay. Has the guy not got any talents or things that may make him a presidential candidate.
    FFS. Next we will be getting told that xxx being a prostitute is a bonus for her candidacy.
    It would be if that were the only point to his candidacy. Manifestly it isn’t.

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Very worrying polling for the Tories. Perhaps those of us who said that failing to deliver Brexit guarantees a Corbyn Government were right after all?

I also remember back in 2016 by Tory Leavers that only a Leave victory would unite the Tory party and country.
    We could have left with a deal by now, if it weren’t for the stupidity of 40 of our MPs.
    The stupidity was allowing the meaningful vote. As soon as that was permissible, the refeeendum was betrayed.
    It wasn't "allowed"; it was legislated for by a parliament elected after the referendum. The parties put forward manifestos that made pledges about the Brexit deal. Labour said they wanted the benefits of the single market and customs union. The Tories said we needed to know the future relationship at the end of the Article 50 period.

What's you're witnessing is not the betrayal of Brexit, but the failure of Brexit.
    Allowing a group of people at odds with the country on the subject a meaningful vote betrayed the referendum
    Some people are determined to feel betrayed.

Betrayal was always going to be one of the consequences of the Leave vote because what was promised was undeliverable. We have not yet left because Tory and DUP leave-supporting MPs decided May’s deal betrayed the 2016 result.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

A crap deal that made sure we would get shafted on trade etc when they did a real deal and not a treaty. Tories are easily pleased, happy to sell out the public as long as they can make cash out of it..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Just as a bit of fun, if you add the Brexit/UKIP numbers and put them into Baxter, the Euros would give a result of UKIP/Brexit 297, Labour 244, Lib Dem 33, SNP 53, Conservative 1.
  • Options
    JackJackJackJack Posts: 98
    TGOHF said:

I must say I’m curious as to why this Remainer tactic of mocking the lower classes is being continued at pace - I’m not convinced it’s effective - or is it just a comfort blanket ?

Many Remainers are decent people but there is sadly a minority who have fallen for the abusive Twitter mindset. I think it says more about them than those they are insulting.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    TGOHF said:

I must say I’m curious as to why this Remainer tactic of mocking the lower classes is being continued at pace - I’m not convinced it’s effective - or is it just a comfort blanket ?

They wouldn’t say it to their faces.

I think it would be a good idea for students to do a day a week at a rough boxing gym or on a building site to see how their supercilious attitude goes down in the real world.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

A crap deal that made sure we would get shafted on trade etc when they did a real deal and not a treaty. Tories are easily pleased, happy to sell out the public as long as they can make cash out of it..
    This. It was a deal hatched in secret and a terrible deal that gave away a lot in return for a maybe.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699
    Scott_P said:
    Do you remember the days, less than ten years ago, when ‘Others’ was fourth placed on these charts, usually about 3%?

Now joint second.

• Options

RoyalBlue said:

Nigelb said:

Have fun! Wrap up warm.
    It’s in Yorkshire. I’m in Andrea Jenkyns/ Stuart Andrew territory
    Yikes.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nunuone said:

Who knew that Israel Folau lives in Scotland?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL, what a waste of time that will be
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Sean_F said:

Just as a bit of fun, if you add the Brexit/UKIP numbers and put them into Baxter, the Euros would give a result of UKIP/Brexit 297, Labour 244, Lib Dem 33, SNP 53, Conservative 1.

Who's holding on?
  • Options

isam said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

The stupidity was allowing the meaningful vote. As soon as that was permissible, the refeeendum was betrayed.
    It wasn't "allowed"; it was legislated for by a parliament elected after the referendum. The parties put forward manifestos that made pledges about the Brexit deal. Labour said they wanted the benefits of the single market and customs union. The Tories said we needed to know the future relationship at the end of the Article 50 period.

What's you're witnessing is not the betrayal of Brexit, but the failure of Brexit.
    Brexit hasn't failed for the simple reason that it hasn't been tried yet.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    If Remain can persuade the 6 million petition signers that they can serve a purpose by voting for one of the progressive parties they could do very well indeed. I shouldn't imagine more than 10 million will vote in total
  • Options
    JackJack said:

isam said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

So once it is, it will ?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Which tactic is this?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

nunuone said:

It is all that is mentioned on here constantly, only thing I see in every single post is that he is gay, no other qualities whatsoever mentioned.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,973
    edited April 2019

There is a question I have that nobody else seems to be interested in. What does Roger Scruton know about housing?
    Does a lovely loft conversion I'm told.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Mr. Eagles, it's a little cool but nice and sunny, and is likely to stay that way.

Anyway, might see you later :p
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

Sean_F said:

Who's holding on?
    Probably Chope...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I’d vote for that.

There was me thinking you had a modicum of intelligence Nigel, but that makes me wonder.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:
    To be so lacking in self-knowledge and so steeped in hypocrisy is actually quite an achievement. I admire it in a way. It’s how we built an empire ;-)

• Options
    Sean_F said:

If the mainstream parties don't cater to their voters, the voters will go elsewhere.

May is a busted flush. Her support has now dried up even in the sections of the party who were still supporting her. But if they get in a new leader who ensures Brexit happens and has a few other populist policies,, they can pull the rug out from under Farage/UKIP, unite right wing voters and win a majority.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Sean_F said:

Who's holding on?
    Mark Francois. You know what they say about cockroaches
  • Options
    isam said:

Nigelb said:

isam said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

The stupidity was allowing the meaningful vote. As soon as that was permissible, the referendum was betrayed.
    So allowing a democratic vote on the implementation of Brexit amounts to ‘betrayal’ ?

In what way does the country owe allegiance to a referendum vote ?

Yes.

Anyone with a sense of honour would not have to ask that question
    The logic of your first answer is that a minority government, elected since the referendum, gets to choose the manner in which we leave without consulting the legislature.

The logic of the second is that your believe democracy finished immediately after the referendum vote.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    TGOHF said:

Savage mockery is default mode of communication that the slines employ between themselves. Your comment betrays your elitism.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

nunuone said:

It is all that is mentioned on here constantly, only thing I see in every single post is that he is gay, no other qualities whatsoever mentioned.
    He went to Harvard, went to Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship, worked at McKinsey, was elected the youngest mayor of an American city with a population over 100,000 and he’s served in the US Navy Reserve including a tour in Afghanistan.

How does that compare to Nicola Sturgeon’s CV?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    JackJack said:

isam said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Conservative-minded people treat such revolutionary rhetoric with nothing but contempt.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,051
    JackJack said:

Sean_F said:

If the mainstream parties don't cater to their voters, the voters will go elsewhere.

May is a busted flush. Her support has now dried up even in the sections of the party who were still supporting her. But if they get in a new leader who ensures Brexit happens and has a few other populist policies,, they can pull the rug out from under Farage/UKIP, unite right wing voters and win a majority.
    But how do you ensure that Brexit happens ?

You can either approve May's Deal as it is, you can soften May's Deal with a CU or you can go all out for a No Deal exit.

Now which of those is most likely to get approved ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I’d vote for that.

There was me thinking you had a modicum of intelligence Nigel, but that makes me wonder.
    So which of the English based alternatives would you favour ?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited April 2019
    This year’s rugby world cup is going to be won by the side with the fewest homophobic players isn’t it?

Billy Vunipola is facing potential disciplinary action from the Rugby Football Union and Saracens after supporting Israel Folau’s controversial anti-gay comments by claiming “man was made for woman”.

The RFU will summon Vunipola to question him over a social media post made in which he defends Folau, who is facing the sack by Rugby Australia for his claims that “hell awaits” gay people. Saracens have stated they will deal with the “very serious matter” internally.

Compounding the RFU’s headache, the No 8’s post was liked by fellow England internationals Manu Tuilagi, Nathan Hughes, Nick Isiekwe and Courtney Lawes, who replied with his own message defending Vunipola’s decision to offer his opinion. It remains to be seen whether they and other Premiership players, including his childhood friend and Wales No 8 Taulupe Faletau, who also “liked” the post, will face further action.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/12/rfu-will-speak-to-billy-vunipola-social-media-israel-folau-england-saracens
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

He is a "world leading expert on aesthetics". His appointment says a lot about housing policy.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Premium economy: is it worth the extra expense?

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/apr/13/premium-economy-is-it-worth-the-extra-expense

What is this premium economy they speak of?
  • Options

This year’s rugby world cup is going to be won by the side fewest homophobic players isn’t it?

Billy Vunipola is facing potential disciplinary action from the Rugby Football Union and Saracens after supporting Israel Folau’s controversial anti-gay comments by claiming “man was made for woman”.

The RFU will summon Vunipola to question him over a social media post made in which he defends Folau, who is facing the sack by Rugby Australia for his claims that “hell awaits” gay people. Saracens have stated they will deal with the “very serious matter” internally.

Compounding the RFU’s headache, the No 8’s post was liked by fellow England internationals Manu Tuilagi, Nathan Hughes, Nick Isiekwe and Courtney Lawes, who replied with his own message defending Vunipola’s decision to offer his opinion. It remains to be seen whether they and other Premiership players, including his childhood friend and Wales No 8 Taulupe Faletau, who also “liked” the post, will face further action.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/12/rfu-will-speak-to-billy-vunipola-social-media-israel-folau-england-saracens

They all agreed in the bath together the butch heteros
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

He is a "world leading expert on aesthetics". His appointment says a lot about housing policy.
    I know a lot of housing stock is poor quality, but I didn't think you needed to be rendered unconscious to cope with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

This year’s rugby world cup is going to be won by the side with the fewest homophobic players isn’t it?

I am not sure I would want to get on the wrong side of the Tuilagi family....

In addition to Manu, there is his brothers, Alesana Tuilagi, Henry Tuilagi, Freddie Tuilagi, Sanele Vavae Tuilagi.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Not a Blackadder fan then?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    edited April 2019
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1116978179565137920

Quick question. In his letter Matthew Goodwin states that "...today the average voter is looking not only for economic prosperity but a greater sense of cultural security...". Is this actually true? I'm happy to believe it's true of many voters, but the average overall?

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

Savage mockery is default mode of communication that the slines employ between themselves. Your comment betrays your elitism.
    Punching up; punching down.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited April 2019
    One interesting detail from the Yougov Euro elections poll is that the Conservatives are on just 12% with men, but 22% with women. There's a similar, but less marked gender split in their Westminster support at 24:33.

Therefore all those anecdotes along the lines of "no-one I talk to will vote Tory" will mean a bit less than normal unless the people being talked to are half female.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    edited April 2019
    viewcode said:

Quick question. In his letter Matthew Goodwin states that "...today the average voter is looking not only for economic prosperity but a greater sense of cultural security...". Is this actually true? I'm happy to believe it's true of many voters, but the average overall?

For him to frame law and order issues as being about "cultural security" tells you all you need to know about Goodwin's worldview.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

malcolmg said:

nunuone said:

Who knew that Israel Folau lives in Scotland?
    What are you talking about you cretin. I asked a serious question , obviously a moron like you could not answer. Every post goes on about him being gay, I seriously asked why that would make him a President , similar to my example of prostitute or hetrosexual or whatever. Sexual orientation has no bearing on what would make a person suitable to be a President.
    Of course it brings out the swivel eyed nutjobs like you trying to pretend I was commenting on the homosexuality rather than the question as to why it is the only thing mentioned about him.
    Crawl back under your rock bigot.
  • Options

Suspend all of those and someone will allege discrimination against players from a racial / cultural background.

Still it would be one way of stopping the big countries from stealing players from the South Pacific Islands.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

nunuone said:

That is simply not true. @RoyalBlue has listed his CV above. He appears articulate and thoughtful when interviewed. Add to that the fact that he is a practising Christian, important in the US, and that he has some tangible achievements to his name during his Mayoralty and there is some substance there. Whether it is enough or whether it will all fall apart under scrutiny who knows. But for the moment he appears to be someone fresh and interesting from the next generation who appears to have a commendably old-fashioned approach to serving his country. In these times that is something hopeful.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I’d vote for that.

So which of the English based alternatives would you favour ?

Now you set me an impossible task as they are all similar to Roothie.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

In addition to Manu, there is his brothers, Alesana Tuilagi, Henry Tuilagi, Freddie Tuilagi, Sanele Vavae Tuilagi.
    I wonder what the statistical chances are of at least one of them being gay?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    Roger said:

If Remain can persuade the 6 million petition signers that they can serve a purpose by voting for one of the progressive parties they could do very well indeed. I shouldn't imagine more than 10 million will vote in total

I suppose that depends a lot on how many of those 6 million are eligible to vote.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

Punching up; punching down.
    Or punching their Mrs in Hartlepool.
  • Options

viewcode said:

For him to frame law and order issues as being about "cultural security" tells you all you need to know about Goodwin's worldview.
    I know about Goodwin's worldview - I've read his stuff - but my question was about his statement about the average voter. I'd like to know if that statement is true.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    RoyalBlue said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

nunuone said:

He went to Harvard, went to Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship, worked at McKinsey, was elected the youngest mayor of an American city with a population over 100,000 and he’s served in the US Navy Reserve including a tour in Afghanistan.

How does that compare to Nicola Sturgeon’s CV?
    You almost posted an intelligent and informative reply there that was what I would expect to see about him, however your xenopbia and bigotry got the better of you and you could not help but revert to nasty little Englander mode.
    PS: I can only assume you are either a juvenile or incredibly immature
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The current frontrunner hasn't declared for the race and has form for taking a lot of time to decide not to run. Maybe he's waiting to see if a strong candidate will emerge who he can support? Is there a benefit to Biden in delaying entering the race?

I think the market might have already priced in a winning performance in the first debate. If he disappoints, or someone else notably excels, then there could be a major lengthening in his odds.

The benefit so far has been to avoid posting fundraising figures for the end of March, which might have been embarrassing, and giving himself less time to gaffe. As front runner, he hasn’t had much to gain by declaring early, and plenty to lose.

My guess is that he’s going to find things start to become much more difficult once he declares.

The debates are going to be interesting, but there’s an awful lot of candidates qualifying for them. As we saw with Trump, being a dominant personality is of more importance than any particular accomplishment in debate, when you’re in a crowd.
    So that sounds like it is a sign of weakness.

I don't think Biden will run.

That would change everything.
  • Options
    For those interested, the latest Spanish tracking poll data. The GE takes place on 28th April.
    https://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1117003275033825281?s=21
  • Options
    I believe it.

Remain voters should have nothing to do with Labour in the European elections.
  • Options

JackJack said:

isam said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Conservative-minded people treat such revolutionary rhetoric with nothing but contempt.
    Perhaps our politics is now explained by the fact that middle class people who have no ideology, and vote Conservative as a result, are not very numerous any longer. Most voters are ideological.
  • Options

I wonder what are the statistical chances of at least one of them being gay?
    Statistically one of them will have had a homosexual experience.

In my experience the biggest homophobes turn out to be gay.
  • Options

Roger said:

I suppose that depends a lot on how many of those 6 million are eligible to vote.
    Well I am, as is my wife our friends, the woman who runs the shop next to ours and her boyfriend. And so are my sister and her husband. The people from my town who went up to London to protest are all eligible to vote as well. So I'd say quite a lot.
  • Options
    Roger said:

16 million voted in 2014. it will probably be more this time (although, treat pollsters certainty to vote numbers with a pinch of salt.)
  • Options

Who could forget that guy who ran the pray away the gay conversion scheme coming out.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Who's holding on?

Probably Chris Chope.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I know about Goodwin's worldview - I've read his stuff - but my question was about his statement about the average voter. I'd like to know if that statement is true.
    The dominant meme of our time is 'people like us not people like them'.

The combination of a fragmentation of society and economic stagnation means that for one group to gain another group must lose and this can be justified by the 'othering' of 'people like them'.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

nunuone said:

That is simply not true. @RoyalBlue has listed his CV above. He appears articulate and thoughtful when interviewed. Add to that the fact that he is a practising Christian, important in the US, and that he has some tangible achievements to his name during his Mayoralty and there is some substance there. Whether it is enough or whether it will all fall apart under scrutiny who knows. But for the moment he appears to be someone fresh and interesting from the next generation who appears to have a commendably old-fashioned approach to serving his country. In these times that is something hopeful.

WOW, he actually mentioned it 10 seconds ago but there have been posts on here for months and the only points ever mentioned were mayor and gay. I just wonder why it has to be mentioned constantly when it has no bearing on suitability for being President , no other candidate ever has their sexuality mentioned.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

I believe it.

Remain voters should have nothing to do with Labour in the European elections.
    That depends on whether they have a confirmatory vote as part of that. Poll after poll shows Labour voters by a huge majority think Leaving was wrong . Northern Labour MPs need to stop peddling the fantasy that their seats were won on the back of Labour Leave voters .
  • Options

For those interested, the latest Spanish tracking poll data. The GE takes place on 28th April.

Do you know how that would translate in terms of seats?
  • Options

Thank you, @SouthamObserver
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

By their own calculation it is about 120 PSOE to 80 PP, 35 Podemos and 60 Citizens, with 176 needed for a majority.
  • Options
    Looking at the Yougov numbers:

51% of people who voted Conservative in 2017 say they'd vote UKIP/Brexit in the Euros. 38% say they'd vote Conservative. The party wins 15% among Remain voters, 18% among Leave voters.

54% of people who voted Labour in 2017 say they'd vote Labour in the Euros. The party wins 37% among Remain supporters, 11% among Leave voters. I expect that Labour is down to its core vote among Leave voters, but could still lose ground to anti-Brexit parties among Remain voters.
  • Options
    Being eurosceptic to eurosceptics, and europhile to europhiles is certainly a good strategy for an opposition.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

By their own calculation it is about 120 PSOE to 80 PP, 35 Podemos and 60 Citizens, with 176 needed for a majority.
    How many would Vox win?
  • Options
    DeafblokeDeafbloke Posts: 69

Some spectacular ignorance on display here. One of the Tuilagi brothers (non rugby playing) is well known for being fa'afafine.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It’s very complicated. Here’s a seat projection based on one poll that is quite similar to the tracker (though with PSOE slightly lower and PP slightly higher). 176 seats is an overall majority of one.

https://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1116578306248175618?s=21
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Who's holding on?

Probably Chris Chope.
    Jesus. Creme de la shite
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Tories plus Brexit Party on 36%, 4% ahead of Labour
    Perhaps the next election will lead to a hung parliament with Nigel Farage holding the balance of power? :D
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

How many would Vox win?
    20-25. So not even a PP deal with the devil would necessarily produce a majority. It's probably a PSOE minority at this poimt.
  • Options

If the probability of a randomly-chosen person being gay is X (where X is a number between 0 and 1) then the probability of at least one of a group of N randomly-chosen people, each independent of each other, being gay is:

1 - the probability of all of them being straight, which is

1 - [(1-X)^N]

So if the probability of a person being gay is 5% and we have 4 people, then X=0.05 and N=4, so the probability is 1-(0.95^4), which is 1-0.85, which is 0.15.

So if we have four randomly-chosen people from a representative population, each independent of each other, and the probability of such a person being gay is 5%, then the probability that at least one of them is gay is 15%.

I now return you to the debate about what is the actual probability of a person being gay, and the related debate about siblings, both of which affect the answer and are outside the scope of this board

[I apologise in advance for any calculation errors, which will no doubt haunt me... :( ]

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661
    If he is on 8-12% with at least half the electorate yet to form a view, does that not suggest he should be hitting around 20% once things settle down. Given he interviews particularly well I would see him as third favourite behind Biden and Sanders for the nomination. Being gay will probably cost him a few votes somewhere, but being ex military and religious will significantly limit that compared to other potential gay candidates.

In a close two or three runner race it would be more important if say 5% wouldn't vote for him due to his sexuality, whereas in this multi runner event it is more about being able to positively attract and maintain 30-40% as Trump showed last time.

Warren, Booker & Harris have had plenty of publicity the last couple of years without breaking through. O'Rourke is another with a decent chance, Yang probably too geeky. With doubts over Biden and Sanders, happy being green on the Buttigieg and O'Rourke at this stage.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

If the probability of a randomly-chosen person being gay is X (where X is a number between 0 and 1) then the probability of at least one of a group of N randomly-chosen people, each independent of each other, being gay is:

1 - the probability of all of them being straight, which is

1 - [(1-X)^N]

So if the probability of a person being gay is 5% and we have 4 people, then X=0.05 and N=4, so the probability is 1-(0.95^4), which is 1-0.85, which is 0.15.

So if we have four randomly-chosen people from a representative population, each independent of each other, and the probability of such a person being gay is 5%, then the probability that at least one of them is gay is 15%.

I now return you to the debate about what is the actual probability of a person being gay, and the related debate about siblings, both of which affect the answer and are outside the scope of this board

[I apologise in advance for any calculation errors, which will no doubt haunt me... :( ]

Thanks (I think).

Nothing is outside the scope of this board!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    edited April 2019
    And its fair to say Professor O'Hara is no fan of Corbyn.....
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

How many would Vox win?
    20-25. So not even a PP deal with the devil would necessarily produce a majority. It's probably a PSOE minority at this poimt.

Yep, I think so. The alternative is some kind of PP+Cs+Vox deal, but that only begins to be possible if between them they get to 176 seats. And even then it might well produce a split in C’s. What’s interesting is that PP+Vox basically equals what PP got in the last GE. Unlike in many other countries in Europe, the emergence of a far right populist party in Spain has not had any impact on votes for the left. I think that’s because Vox is a very traditional machista, toros, anti-autonomy party rather than one that focuses on the economy.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Tories plus Brexit Party on 36%, 4% ahead of Labour
    Perhaps the next election will lead to a hung parliament with Nigel Farage holding the balance of power? :D
    You can see why the big two will never agree to PR.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It’s very complicated. Here’s a seat projection based on one poll that is quite similar to the tracker (though with PSOE slightly lower and PP slightly higher). 176 seats is an overall majority of one.

https://twitter.com/electo_mania/status/1116578306248175618?s=21
    Old Castile and Galicia: right-wing in 1936, right-wing now!

Curious to see a city as large as Madrid still voting right. Looks more like the pattern in Brazil than the rest of Europe.
  • Options
    Deafbloke said:

Some spectacular ignorance on display here. One of the Tuilagi brothers (non rugby playing) is well known for being fa'afafine.
    It’s quite possible to have a cross-dressing brother and be homophobic. Cognitive dissonance is a rather powerful force.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Roger said:

Interesting that in America a gay man could become president whereas the Brunai Royal Family has just decreed that homosexuality should be punishable by stoning.

Almost the entire Brunai royal family went to Millfield. One shared a room with me. Happily I can confirm absolute probity during the entirity of that year otherwise I would have no hesitation in reporting him for a retrospective stoning.

Roger being educated at Millfield I'm somewhat surprised that he wasn't stoned at some time or other .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    She's even given Tony Blair a run for his money on the most duplicitous PM ever stakes... :D
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:
    FIgures he would like Cersei Lannister the most, a character not as smart as they think they are, and whose actions have been heavily self defeating for the things they supposedly cared about.
This discussion has been closed.