Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » HealthSec Hancock edges up in the betting for next CON leader

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    philiph said:

TGOHF said:

Well, I gave Mrs May credit for reaching out to Labour and putting country. It looks like I could well have been wrong - as many on here told me I was. I’m still hoping not, though. Surely even she wouldn’t be so stupidly dishonest as that.

If it is true France, Spain and Belgium are going to refuse an extension then the HOC have to decide next Thursday

TM deal - revoke
    If they revoke, then what?
    The EU would refuse it unless we either ruled out leaving for 10 years or agreed to a flextension.
    The EU can't refuse a revocation as long as it's done in accordance with the UK's constitutional requirements.
    Did that right continue past March 29th?
    Yes. The extension conditions don't remove any rights or obligations under the treaties.

https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/XT-20006-2019-INIT/en/pdf
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

Well, I gave Mrs May credit for reaching out to Labour and putting country. It looks like I could well have been wrong - as many on here told me I was. I’m still hoping not, though. Surely even she wouldn’t be so stupidly dishonest as that.

If it is true France, Spain and Belgium are going to refuse an extension then the HOC have to decide next Thursday

TM deal - revoke
    Jeremy Corbyn pm because the tories will be monstered
    The Tories will be out of power for 20 years if we revoke
    But not if we leave without a deal.
    That's off. Try to keep up.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

The issue for the EU27 is not who will be blamed for No Deal by people in the UK, but who will blamed for it in the EU27. One of the things the government got wrong from the very start is its failure to understand that the important thing from a deal perspective was putting the EU27 governments under some kind of pressure in their home countries. Instead, May has constantly chased good headlines at home by pursuing a strategy that has confirmed to just about everyone in all the member states that the UK is almost entirely to blame for the current mess. The only country where there is any kind of pressure on the government is Ireland - and most of that comes from people who think that Varadeker is being too soft on the Brits.

Whilst all that is true, I'm not sure there's much she could have done about it. EU27 governments will nonetheless be aware that they will cop some blame if the no-deal chaos become reality.

Here's one example of the potential problems they could hit:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/05/eu-confirms-it-wants-short-term-fisheries-arrangement-with-uk-no-deal-brexit-fishing

Yep - that's why I would be very surprised if the EU did not end up offering a very long extension to the UK. I still think the likeliest way to No Deal from here is May turning that down. And that does not seem very likely.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited April 2019

philiph said:

TGOHF said:

TM deal - revoke
    The EU would refuse it unless we either ruled out leaving for 10 years or agreed to a flextension.
    The EU can't refuse a revocation as long as it's done in accordance with the UK's constitutional requirements.
    Did that right continue past March 29th?

We're still full members of the EU the same as we were before the 29th, so yes.
    True, but was the right to revoke connected to article 50, from which we extended our deadline, but I don't know about any other rights from article 50.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was challenged in court if used.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Foxy said:

O/T. For any of our medics here; If esophageal cancer has blocked the pipe so much that a rod had to be pushed through before a stent could be fitted, and then the stent has failed, is a feeding tube possible? I can't find anything about this

It is possible to do a feeding gastrostomy. This is an opening from the upper abdomen to the stomach, so food gan go directly into the stomach. It is also possible to do Total Parental Nutrition intravenously.

The prognosis though at this stage is very grim indeed, and palliative care may well be kinder.
    Thank you. That is what I feared. My brother - nine years older than me.
    Ask to speak to the Palliative care team at the hospital. It should be possible for him to be comfortable. They are much more than pain relief, dealing with nutrition and hydration too.

Best wishes.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke
    That's off. Try to keep up.
    No longer the legal default?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

France are now safe to say no extension and turf the Uk out. They wouldn't get the blame.

May - rightly - would.

Win win win all round.

That is utter nonsense. If France do this it will be France and their supporters who will be blamed
    Macron may play bad cop but there aren't going to be any actual vetoes disrupting the unity of the EU. It's a peculiarly British habit trying to deconstruct the EU into a collection of national interests.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    TGOHF said:

TM deal - revoke
    They will vote against TM's deal and against revoking - as previously.

They would indeed. One constant has been they never believe they must approve something, anything.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    AndyJS said:

Has it been confirmed that the Euro elections will be taking place in the UK?

No, but both parties are in full preparation mode. Labour selections start next week.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke
    More likely Heidi Allen or Chuka
    Neither will be MPs let alone PM
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke
    I imagine it's roughly like this;

Revoke = bye, bye Tories.
    Referendum = Tory skeleton staff
    Crappy CU or some such deal = Tories split
    May's deal = Tories reunited
    No deal = Tories reunited, but with defectors

I actually think in purely long-term party political terms 'no deal' is likely to be better, and especially if that's forced upon us by the EU.

I'm not sure about Labour's equation at all. I think it looks like;

Revoke = horrible, but worse for Tories. Labour splits
    Referendum = Labour splits in a small way
    Crappy CU or some other deal = Labour on the march
    May's deal = Pretty neutral
    No deal = Slightly blind-sided

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    Omnium said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke

I actually think in purely long-term party political terms 'no deal' is likely to be better, and especially if that's forced upon us by the EU.
    No Deal won't be a final state, so you also need to factor in how the parties and voters would react to the ongoing consequences of it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Omnium said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke

No Deal won't be a final state, so you also need to factor in how the parties and voters would react to the ongoing consequences of it.
    Nor will revoke, it'll be revoke with view to resubmitting or revoke + referendum.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

No, but both parties are in full preparation mode. Labour selections start next week.
    Hat in ring?

That'd be odd - to be elected to a parliament where you never actually take your seat. I presume there might be some pretty juicy pension rights etc for the taking?

I will consider voting 'monster raving loony' if we have elections where we expect the candidates never to participate in the body they're being elected to.
  • Options

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke
    Heidi will sail through
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

France are now safe to say no extension and turf the Uk out. They wouldn't get the blame.

May - rightly - would.

Win win win all round.

That is utter nonsense. If France do this it will be France and their supporters who will be blamed
    Macron may play bad cop but there aren't going to be any actual vetoes disrupting the unity of the EU. It's a peculiarly British habit trying to deconstruct the EU into a collection of national interests.
    Yes, it is why veto is rarely required. The consensus position is reached before that stage.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    In May's statement offering talks with Labour there was a carefully constructed couple of sentences on what should happen if agreement was not reached. That the Government and Opposition would agree a set of proposals to be put to the vote with both Opposition and Government accepting the verdict of the house. I think this is the end game. If Labour resist that approach then they rightly get blamed. To try to ensure that the house must choose something I suspect that May will say that she will whip a bill based on the option that gets the most indicative votes and challenge Corbyn to do the same.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke
    Heidi will sail through
    I dont think any of ChUK started their breakaway as a means to careerism. I think they are all astute enough to know that they are each likely to lose their seats at the next GE.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I suppose it depends on what was demanded. I can see her having acceded on the CU but saying no to rerunning the referendum. I actually give her no credit at all but can see that perhaps there were some red lines she still felt she could not cross.
    If the argument is that the vote to leave the EU is so sacrosanct that no argument against it is valid, then she is not entitled to red lines. We must leave. The convenience of the Conservative Party, let alone of her particular leadership of it cannot stop us leaving.
  • Options

Omnium said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke

Oh, most certainly. No deal is actually a bewildering confusion of deals. Quite how that pans out I don't know. My hunch would be that a daily tally of new deals and fixes would play quite well. And unless anyone was daft enough to employ someone like David Davis to do the job then that's what we'd get.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Omnium said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke

I buy that.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Omnium said:

AndyJS said:

Hat in ring?

That'd be odd - to be elected to a parliament where you never actually take your seat. I presume there might be some pretty juicy pension rights etc for the taking?

I will consider voting 'monster raving loony' if we have elections where we expect the candidates never to participate in the body they're being elected to.
    They're a bit slow off the mark?

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2019/04/04/greens-stand-ready-to-fight-eu-elections/.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited April 2019
    There’s a danger people accept political showboating now with what happens on Wednesday.

Chaos in the run up to the EU elections isn’t what leaders want . Macron can’t afford any more calamities and short term point scoring won’t help in the long run .

The EU will make sure any no deal is down to the UK . It’s likely conditions will be placed on any extension and it will be the final one offered.

We heard all this rhetoric before the last extension . The current hardline is to force the UK to come up with a plan .
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2019

In May's statement offering talks with Labour there was a carefully constructed couple of sentences on what should happen if agreement was not reached. That the Government and Opposition would agree a set of proposals to be put to the vote with both Opposition and Government accepting the verdict of the house. I think this is the end game.

Agreed - I presumed as much when the talks were announced. Corbyn had to accept, but agreeing anything is politically self-destructive. He can just let things play out, the Tories take the hit (and the economy of course).

Problem now though: with a year long flextension mooted, it's not the end game. MPs will just vote down everything again.

Macron might be doing us a favour if he vetoed any more extensions.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    Revoke would be a dreamy outcome. If that happens I'm going to round up a posse of pals in Hampstead and we'll get the train up to Barnsley and reassure the locals that their concerns about globalization will be addressed.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke
    Heidi will sail through
    Yeah right
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    isam said:

My new early to bed regime means I have only just caught up with last nights edition of This Week... overjoyed to hear Michael Portillo make the point I have repeated ad infinitum, including in a tweet to Nigel Farage himself...

"...the middle road, the Customs Union, would have seemed marvellous to leavers four years ago, and now seems an absolute cheat"

May's Deal is at least 80% Hard on the Soft-Hard Brexit axis.

Even a May's Deal plus CU would be about 67% Hard.

Yet for some people the only permissible Brexit is now an unplanned, uncontrolled crash-out No Deal.

Its the equivalent of people demanding that a new Conservative government privatise the NHS.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964

I suppose it depends on what was demanded. I can see her having acceded on the CU but saying no to rerunning the referendum. I actually give her no credit at all but can see that perhaps there were some red lines she still felt she could not cross.
    If the argument is that the vote to leave the EU is so sacrosanct that no argument against it is valid, then she is not entitled to red lines. We must leave. The convenience of the Conservative Party, let alone of her particular leadership of it cannot stop us leaving.
    Whilst I would like that to be true I was thinking purely in terms of what she might consider red lines, not what yours or mine might be. I was just envisaging a situation (and it doesn't have to be a referendum) where she might agree with Corbyn over a CU but find some other demand on his part just too much for her or her party to bear.

It is unfortunate but I still say that everything she has done has been about getting what is best for her party not what is best for the country.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke
    Heidi will sail through
    I dont think any of ChUK started their breakaway as a means to careerism. I think they are all astute enough to know that they are each likely to lose their seats at the next GE.
    Well at least that gives us something to look forward to.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    May keeps demonstrating that she is the most untrustworthy politician of her generation (the one that hasn't been 'skipped'). Shameless.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TGOHF said:

May - rightly - would.

Win win win all round.

In a closely contested field, I think I would blame ERG most, followed by May and Corbyn, followed by the DUP, then the rest of the HoC, then Ireland. I would rank France after all that lot for responsibility for a no deal exit, but saying they are responsible is not the same thing as blaming them. I don't see what they would have done wrong.
    Who cares who you would blame? It's the voters' perception of blame that matters.

The government, the ERG and the rest of Parliament have done all they can to ensure that the EU will not be blamed for any No Deal.

I agree. Much as I want to be out of the EU I don't see how there is much blame that can be attached to them for the current impasse. The inability to do something that was easily possible if all sides in Parliament had shown some compromise is an entirely home grown problem.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Revoke would be a dreamy outcome. If that happens I'm going to round up a posse of pals in Hampstead and we'll get the train up to Barnsley and reassure the locals that their concerns about globalization will be addressed.

Sounds a great outing to make peace with the Leavers. I will bring some hummus and quiche to cheer them up.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    If we leave with no deal, the EU will not start any sort of talks with us without basically re-agreeing the backstop.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

isam said:

My new early to bed regime means I have only just caught up with last nights edition of This Week... overjoyed to hear Michael Portillo make the point I have repeated ad infinitum, including in a tweet to Nigel Farage himself...

"...the middle road, the Customs Union, would have seemed marvellous to leavers four years ago, and now seems an absolute cheat"

Yet for some people the only permissible Brexit is now an unplanned, uncontrolled crash-out No Deal.

Its the equivalent of people demanding that a new Conservative government privatise the NHS.
    It is far worse than that and more damaging! No Deal is rightly seen as being toxic to the economy and the people who live on our islands.

It does not cease to amaze me how the siren voices of No Deal still get some traction with people. Like conspiracy theories a significant number of people will believe anything but the downright obvious!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Foxy said:

O/T. For any of our medics here; If esophageal cancer has blocked the pipe so much that a rod had to be pushed through before a stent could be fitted, and then the stent has failed, is a feeding tube possible? I can't find anything about this

It is possible to do a feeding gastrostomy. This is an opening from the upper abdomen to the stomach, so food gan go directly into the stomach. It is also possible to do Total Parental Nutrition intravenously.

The prognosis though at this stage is very grim indeed, and palliative care may well be kinder.
    Thank you. That is what I feared. My brother - nine years older than me.
    I’m sorry to hear that. Be well
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Sounds a great outing to make peace with the Leavers. I will bring some hummus and quiche to cheer them up.
    I was in Barnsley last saturday. Some nice views out over Yorkshire from the pubs near the ground.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Omnium said:

geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

TM deal - revoke

Don't overlook the effect of Brexit, as well as the fact of it. Any disruption or downturn will be blamed on the Conservatives, with the reverse true if Brexit does lead to the sunlit uplands.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

You need pickled eggs and black puddings then all will be well
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Andrew said:

In May's statement offering talks with Labour there was a carefully constructed couple of sentences on what should happen if agreement was not reached. That the Government and Opposition would agree a set of proposals to be put to the vote with both Opposition and Government accepting the verdict of the house. I think this is the end game.

Agreed - I presumed as much when the talks were announced. Corbyn had to accept, but agreeing anything is politically self-destructive. He can just let things play out, the Tories take the hit (and the economy of course).

Problem now though: with a year long flextension mooted, it's not the end game. MPs will just vote down everything again.

Macron might be doing us a favour if he vetoed any more extensions.
    Yes. A time limit ensures clarity: an outcome must be reached. If MPs are given a week more to faff, they will faff for a week. If they're given a year more to faff, they will faff for a year. If they're given five more years to faff, then there will have to be a GE at some point - but if that produces a House of Commons with more-or-less exactly the same balance of forces as this one (which would be absolutely typical) then they'll continue to faff.

So, either the EU27 send May off with a flea in her ear on Wednesday, or MPs will continue to faff and faff and faff.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    Heidi Allen on C4 News :)
  • Options

isam said:

It is far worse than that and more damaging! No Deal is rightly seen as being toxic to the economy and the people who live on our islands.

It does not cease to amaze me how the siren voices of No Deal still get some traction with people. Like conspiracy theories a significant number of people will believe anything but the downright obvious!
    I imagine you mean that its downright obvious that 'no deal' would be bad. Entirely true. It's reasonably obvious that there's a huge opportunity to build up though. The Sirens are calling from safer rocks.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

May keeps demonstrating that she is the most untrustworthy politician of her generation (the one that hasn't been 'skipped'). Shameless.

On the basis at the moment of what Labour are saying about talks which are still ongoing? Does no-one on ere understand politics?
  • Options
    No 10 still peddling delivering the Brexit people voted for line .

What Brexit was that ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    There are now 210 women MPs in the House of Commons, the highest ever, and just 7 short of a third of the total.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_House_of_Commons_of_the_United_Kingdom#Current_representation
  • Options

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Is vegan black pudding substitute availible, to meet them halfway?
  • Options

Why has she resigned from Losers vote Party and joined the fuck you thickos were revoking now Party
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Omnium said:

AndyJS said:

Hat in ring?

I wouldn't have thought there would be any reward to speak of. I'm giving it a little thought but would need to ensure it didn't risk my real job. I'm in the SE and the sitting MEP will stand again followed by a female candidate, so unless there was a huge Labour surge then winning would not be something I'd need to worry about!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Is vegan black pudding substitute availible, to meet them halfway?
    No you will not get back alive if you take that
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

You are a sneering tosspot sometimes @Foxy
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Omnium said:

isam said:

I imagine you mean that its downright obvious that 'no deal' would be bad. Entirely true. It's reasonably obvious that there's a huge opportunity to build up though. The Sirens are calling from safer rocks.
    Indeed, no deal would be very bad. Some of the Tories in the Lords who call for No Deal Brexit have taken residency in France for instance!

In terms of preparedness for Brexit I am struck by the rumours of Maggie Thatcher hording food in the 1970s due to that periods instability. I wonder if JRM and co. have been building up the stocks of food at their respective homes and in JRM case also making sure the nanny has contingency measures in place!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,842
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

He was being humourous, not sneering.
  • Options

A two-tissue interview Sunil?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

He was being humourous, not sneering.
    You are being too kind
  • Options
    Foxy said:

😊

A nice touch. And the key thing is we listen. No matter how torrid it gets, we listen.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

He is most of the time.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

I am from a northern mining town myself. Just making some gentle humour.

The EU is not the source of Barnsleys problems. Or my hometown of Wigan.
  • Options
    felix said:

On the basis at the moment of what Labour are saying about talks which are still ongoing? Does no-one on ere understand politics?
    Starmer has said that we want to keep talking, but May's team need to offer some beef. So far they haven't even offered tofu.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Might I suggest a jug of Pims too, seeing as it's getting near the summer.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Better take a flask though as you won’t be able to get your free Waitrose latte each day oop north - they don’t have many shops in leave voting areas.

Happy sneering at the ‘plebs’!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

40 years of Neo Liberalism on the other hand
  • Options

A two-tissue interview Sunil?
    I wasn't paying attention :blush:

(EDIT: only kidding!)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I am from a northern mining town myself.

Me too!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

And how is Brexit going to help that?
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Better take a flask though as you won’t be able to get your free Waitrose latte each day oop north - they don’t have many shops in leave voting areas.

Happy sneering at the ‘plebs’!
    Who needs Waitrose when you've got Booths?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

The EU is a capitalist hegemony. Only Brexit gives us the chance to unleash full-blooded socialism.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Me too!
    Luxury
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Indeed, that is the real question that needs to be addressed whether we Revoke or No Deal.

How do we remake the country, economy and society so that the left behind are no longer left behind. We can only be a united country again when it works for everyone.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

😊

A nice touch. And the key thing is we listen. No matter how torrid it gets, we listen.
    Well why not start now.

How does Rotherham benefit from thousands of Eastern European Roma moving there ?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Too busy to reply Coronation Street is on

As anybody from a Northern Mining Town should know.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

"Was Daddy a coal-mahner?" :)
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019
    Apparently the Home office has already removed the words European union from the front page of all new passports being issued even though we haven’t left yet. They assumed we would leave on 29 March.

Some Guardian readers are very upset as they wanted an EU momento before the new blue passports come in. Susan Hindle Barone is outraged and feels absolutely sick about it!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/05/uk-removes-words-european-union-from-british-passports
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

And that's the problem while it's not been the source of any of Barnsley's (or Wigan's) problems it's been an easy scapegoat...
  • Options

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Might I suggest a jug of Pims too, seeing as it's getting near the summer.
    Actually Barnsley does do Pimms Cucumber is one of our 5 a day
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    brendan16 said:

Apparently the Home office has already removed the words European union from the front page of all new passports being issued even though we haven’t left yet. They assumed we would leave on 29 March.

Some Guardian readers are very upset as they wanted an EU momento before the new blue passports come in. Susan Hindle Barone is outraged and feels absolutely sick about it!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/05/uk-removes-words-european-union-from-british-passports

Oh well, guess we can’t revoke now. It’s done.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Too busy to reply Coronation Street is on

As anybody from a Northern Mining Town should know.
    You can watch proper Corrie on YouTube.

I'm convinced Thatcher modeled herself on Annie Walker.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

The EU is a capitalist hegemony. Only Brexit gives us the chance to unleash full-blooded socialism.
    Railway Nationalisation?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Indeed, that is the real question that needs to be addressed whether we Revoke or No Deal.

How do we remake the country, economy and society so that the left behind are no longer left behind. We can only be a united country again when it works for everyone.

I think we can safely assume that Rees-Mogg and the rest of the ERG have very little interest in dealing with this issue.

• Options
    brendan16 said:

Hmmmm - if we end up staying in after all, then will there be any obligation upon the Government to recall all those new passports and replace them with new new ones that have the appropriate wording?

It's not just the front cover, of course. Some of the text inside a UK passport is (or at any rate was) translated into the official languages of all other EU member states.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Railway Nationalisation?
    And I thought you liked Trains.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    edited April 2019
    Good grief every time I log on here the Brexit needle has flipped from one end of the dial to the other!

This morning we were heading for a long extension, EU elections and a possible 2nd referendum; this evening we're back to a No Deal exit next Friday - depressing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

And you know what the ironic thing is ?

Its the young, educated, indebted, urban Remain voters who have received the shit sandwich.

Its not the poor who are losing out - they've always lost out and always will - but those who are the victims of middle class regression.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Railway Nationalisation?
    And I thought you liked Trains.
    I do - I was just trying to think what Sandy was thinking :)
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

I think we can safely assume that Rees-Mogg and the rest of the ERG have very little interest in dealing with this issue.

Bit rich coming from people who never realised there was a problem and then proceeded to call people thick old racist gammons the one time they didn’t get their way...
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Hmmmm - if we end up staying in after all, then will there be any obligation upon the Government to recall all those new passports and replace them with new new ones that have the appropriate wording?

It's not just the front cover, of course. Some of the text inside a UK passport is (or at any rate was) translated into the official languages of all other EU member states.
    Bloody incompetent Home Office! How could they not know precisely what was happening when, given the Government has made it so clear?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    brendan16 said:

"It makes me feel sick"... some people!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

brendan16 said:

I just knew leaving would be easy.
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt now almost imploring the EU to give the UK an extension . Perhaps the penny has finally dropped . No deal game over for the Tories for a very long time . There seems to be some bizarre notion that no deal saves the Tories .

Those who have joined the no deal fan club will soon turn on those who said it would all be fine .
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Am increasingly resigned to No Deal. It is the only thing that ultra Leavers will accept. Suppose we need to strap in and go through it.
    Then work out what the heck comes next...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

A question eI asked twice the other night and only @Cyclefree managed a reply

If the result is overturned, what will those in charge do to make the lives of the 52% minority better?
  • Options
    Southampton 1 Liverpool 0
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Come on you Saints!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,653
    brendan16 said:

This Guardian story is of rather more significance.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/05/france-spain-and-belgium-ready-for-no-deal-brexit-next-week
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Jeremy Hunt now almost imploring the EU to give the UK an extension . Perhaps the penny has finally dropped . No deal game over for the Tories for a very long time . There seems to be some bizarre notion that no deal saves the Tories .

Those who have joined the no deal fan club will soon turn on those who said it would all be fine .

I'll tell you a riddle. You're waiting for a deal, a deal that will take you far away. You know where you hope this deal will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where the deal will take you?
  • Options
    I know that Karen Bradley is not the smartest cookie, but she surely hasn't just removed the rights of hundreds of thousands of people in Northern Ireland to participate in any future border poll or rerun of the EU referendum. If she has, it is not only explosively anti-democratic, but also profoundly and dangerously provocative.

https://twitter.com/jonlis1/status/1114240713603022848
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Am increasingly resigned to No Deal. It is the only thing that ultra Leavers will accept. Suppose we need to strap in and go through it.
    Then work out what the heck comes next...

I can't lie to you about your chances... but you have my sympathies.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

If the result is overturned, what will those in charge do to make the lives of the 52% minority better?
    Presume you mean 52% majority?

Let's not forget that a good proportion of Leave voters were very comforotably off over 65 pensioners enjoying the continued benefits of the triple lock, low housing costs and good pensions. Not all the 52% are the downtrodden forgotten masses.

For those who are in the lower income brackets (whether Leavers, Remainers or Did-not-vote) reversing the 8 year squeeze on public services and benefits would have a dramatically more positive effect on their lives than any form of Brexit.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    RobD said:

brendan16 said:

I just knew leaving would be easy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8mJDng1Ikw
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    isam said:

Absolutely nothing, most politicians (of all parties) are barely even thinking about the issues, never mind proposing things that are deliverable and would do some good. If nothing else Brexit has opened our eyes as to how dysfunctional and moribund UK politics has become. Booting out the whole bloody lot of them at the next general election might be a small start towards moving forward.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Nobody does.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I'll tell you a riddle. You're waiting for a deal, a deal that will take you far away. You know where you hope this deal will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where the deal will take you?
    Wft are you on about Sunil?
This discussion has been closed.