Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boost for beleaguered TMay as the Tories hold second place in

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Who the hell are the 7,000+ people who voted Conservative in Newport West?

Seriously you've got to be out of your mid to vioe Tory at this point?

The 7,000 plus Tory voters are fanatics about sentence construction and spelling .... :smile:
    Don't start on me your Lordship I was up until nearly 2am waiting for a Tory evisceration that didn't happen! :D
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

If ever there was a moment when leavers had the chance of a free hit in a by-election when Brexit is supposedly being "betrayed" I would have thought this would have been it.

They got 8.6% so I think it is fair to say that the population is nowhere near as enraged about Brexit as the Mail, Telegraph and a few PB posters keep telling us they are. Very timely by-election

The choice was between a People's Vote backing Labour candidate and a Tory candidate who voted to Leave, in a remarkably safe Labour seat, 9 years into Tory governance and there was a swing from the the Labour to the Tories.
    Not quite my point. To listen to some in the press on PB you would be forgiven for believing that leavers were so incensed at what is going on that they are on the brink of civil unrest. UKIP then poll 8.6% in a by-election.

It's not happening. The ultras in their comfortable newspaper offices are desperately trying to whip up the troops into a frenzy but most of the troops (Yaxley-Lennon apart) are remaining steadfastly unwipped. Farage's pitiful march was another indication.
    It wasn’t people who wanted to respect the referendum result that were inferring the smaller parties finishing position in the Newport by election would infer anything re the nationwide mood.

UKIP saving a deposit with its current set up is surprising though.
    I see, wrong sort of UKIP!

What stopped Farage standing the by election on a clear Leave Means Leave platform? He could have actually done something and put his money where his mouth was instead of just spouting hot air. What was he afraid of?

With nothing still settled on Brexit it would seem to have been the ideal opportunity for him to influence the debate and demonstrate that leavers are all as irate as he claims they are. Perhaps he knows that they aren't, his "march" should have given him a clue!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

kamski said:

WTO rules only apply to countries that belong to the WTO, not "everyone". EU rules only apply to countries that belong to the EU. I don't see a fundamental difference, just one of degree, and the size of the group.

For me it's not a question of principle, but whether you think, like me, that we have more in common (and more common interests) with our European neighbours, and therefore it is in our interests to share more rules with them, than with the wider 159 members of the WTO. Or not.

But claiming
    In the EU=not a free country.
    Remaining a member of other international organisations/treaties=we are a free country
    is illogical

I think some people just hate the idea of Britain cooperating with other Europeans, and having to treat people like the Germans as equals. Obviously not true of lots of leavers, but people like Jenkin really annoy me.

No we do not have more in common with Europeans. We have more in common historically, culturally, linguistically and even in our Common Law legal system with English-speaking Commonwealth nations like Canada, Australia and New Zealand than we do Germany, Hungary or Romania.
    So we should get out of this unnatural union with Europeans with 'foreign' legal systems like Scotland's?
    Yes. Did you miss the debate yesterday?
    It's pretty hard to sustain the argument that "we" have more in common with Canada, Australia and New Zealand than we do with other Europeans if you're including Scotland in the other category.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,010
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Once the extension is in place it isn't obvious why those MPs happy with a delay would vote to resolve the deal impasse in the options exercise on Monday.

Edit/ This surely makes a PV more likely, as a way to cement the extension?

The extension will not be in place before the Council meeting on the 10th April but it does look very likely a referendum may well happen as it creates the space for it. Of course the limited thinking of ERG is they have longer to plan a no deal, completely unware that public demand for a referendum is likely to overwhelm them. And I do not support a referendum
    Some unreconciled remainers demand a referendum, not the public. The fact that you as a remainer do not support it demonstrates that. If we extend we can fix May's mistakes [and Fox's] and leave properly.
    You seem to have overlooked that under the flextension there isn't an easy route to no deal.

The extension lasts for a year, at least (and could theoretically be extended again). If there's a referendum the outcomes are a soft Brexit or no Brexit. If there isn't a referendum the extension only ends if we get a deal, which will be a soft Brexit. soft Brexit or no Brexit. Otherwise the EU just postpones. Whatever you think of the EU, they are giving us a political masterclass.
    If there isn't a referendum the extension ends on 12 April 2020.

I suggested we break the impasse by replacing May [and Fox] and fixing May's mistakes and prep properly for No Deal. Build border posts on the Irish border if we have to, while holding out an olive branch that we will ratify the deal if they drop the backstop.

If they drop the backstop we get a good deal and exit. If they don't we make sure we're prepared to exit on 12 April 2020. Public attitude to No Deal is higher than for revocation or extension and momentum is increasing support for No Deal as it happens. If we've prepared properly for it there's no reason we can't do it if need be - but if we prepare properly for it, there's every chance the EU will blink and give us a good deal. Win/win either way.
    Not sure there is support for No Deal if you actually look at the data,

https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1113764788486721536?s=19
    So 49% want Brexit of some form, only 37% to Remain in the EU even if only 26% want No Deal
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kamski said:

WTO rules only apply to countries that belong to the WTO, not "everyone". EU rules only apply to countries that belong to the EU. I don't see a fundamental difference, just one of degree, and the size of the group.

For me it's not a question of principle, but whether you think, like me, that we have more in common (and more common interests) with our European neighbours, and therefore it is in our interests to share more rules with them, than with the wider 159 members of the WTO. Or not.

But claiming
    Remaining a member of other international organisations/treaties=we are a free country
    is illogical

I think some people just hate the idea of Britain cooperating with other Europeans, and having to treat people like the Germans as equals. Obviously not true of lots of leavers, but people like Jenkin really annoy me.

No we do not have more in common with Europeans. We have more in common historically, culturally, linguistically and even in our Common Law legal system with English-speaking Commonwealth nations like Canada, Australia and New Zealand than we do Germany, Hungary or Romania.
    So we should get out of this unnatural union with Europeans with 'foreign' legal systems like Scotland's?
    It's pretty hard to sustain the argument that "we" have more in common with Canada, Australia and New Zealand than we do with other Europeans if you're including Scotland in the other category.
    I think we have more in common with Scotland than the others but I think we should still dissolve the UK anyway despite that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The 2.4% swing from Labour to the Tories last night would see the Tories gain 24 Labour seats nationwide, enough for a small Tory majority.

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative

It seems more voters like May's attempts to produce a compromise Brexit Deal than hard Brexiteers first thought

Would it be heresy to suggest that Brexit made bugger all difference in Newport? And that issues like Labour in Wales being crap on the NHS and the problems of traffic on the M4 were just as important?
    Perhaps but the Tory vote held up despite the Brexit issues
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    Government accepts we will have to hold EU elections if we extend beyond 23rd May and is preparing for them.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/793058/PM_letter_to_His_Excellency_Mr_Donald_Tusk__1_.pdf
  • Options

The preliminary investigation into the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 last month revealed Thursday that pilots began fighting the Boeing 737 MAX’s new automatic flight-control system barely a minute after leaving the ground, after a sensor failed shortly after takeoff....

The “black box” flight-recorder data shows that after MCAS swiveled the plane’s horizontal tail to push the nose sharply down three times in succession, the pilots hit the cut-off switches stopping the automatic action and tried to adjust the tail manually, according to the report by the Accident Investigation Bureau of Ethiopia’s Transport Ministry.

In doing so, they were following instructions provided by Boeing last November, following the crash of Lion Air Flight 610, on how to deal with such an inadvertent triggering of the new flight-control system.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/preliminary-crash-report-reveals-detail-of-ethiopian-pilots-fight-against-the-737-max-flight-controls/

Surprised Boeing's share price hasn't taken more of a pasting tbh.
    Regardless of what happens they will remain in a duopoly and recover.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That will strengthen May's hand. The ERG doomongers (doommongers?) have been thwarted.
    Yes, despite UKIP gaining 6% on 2017 the Tories held second place comfortably and the Labour vote was also down
  • Options

kamski said:

But claiming
    is illogical

I think we have more in common with Scotland than the others but I think we should still dissolve the UK anyway despite that.
    Incidentally, how much time have you spent in Canada?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    Ironic that the Governmenr is now rushing to get its extension agreed before the MPs can ask for their own. Especially as the reply from the EU is likely to be the same either way.

Two groups both afraid of no deal rushing each other to the finish.

It does however explain why the Tory Lords were willing to abandon their games yesterday afternoon in return for the debate spilling over to Monday.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    GIN1138 said:

Seriously you've got to be out of your mind to vote Tory at this point?

The result certainly suggests it's not as toxic as the press and commentariat would have it. The council by election in Norfolk also had them holding up over 50%, ok only a local but there is no evidence yet of a vote collapse. Certainly it's not like 92 to 97 when they were smashed in every by election.
    Its activists not voters that are deserting imo but that will weigh in a general
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

Floater said:

Mr. 64, it's an interesting possibility. And welcome to PB.

In unrelated news, it's reported Prince Harry thinks Fortnite should be banned.

It looks like a pretty pointless game to me, but banning stuff is an unwelcome new fashion and not something royalty should be promoting.

Proving his right on connections ...

What an arse
    Speaking of potential bans, here's an example of the EU Parliament looking very stupid (and I post this with no pleasure, as an ardent Remainer). Hopefully, sense will prevail.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/04/eu-to-ban-non-meat-product-labels-veggie-burgers-and-vegan-steaks
    First they came for the bendy bananas, and I did not speak out,
    Because I like straight bananas.
    Then they came for the inefficient vacuum cleaners, and I did not speak out
    Because I had a Henry Hoover
    Then they came for the curved cucumbers, and I did not speak out
    Because I don’t like cucumbers
    Then they came for the vegan sausages. Now it’s fu*king war!

• Options
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That will strengthen May's hand. The ERG doomongers (doommongers?) have been thwarted.
    Yes, despite UKIP gaining 6% on 2017 the Tories held second place comfortably and the Labour vote was also down
    I think based on this result alone Rod Crosby's model would be forecasting a pretty big Conservative majority at the next election? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    If the Cooper Bill has forced the Government to request a longer extension already it is serving its purpose.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    OllyT said:

isam said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

If ever there was a moment when leavers had the chance of a free hit in a by-election when Brexit is supposedly being "betrayed" I would have thought this would have been it.

They got 8.6% so I think it is fair to say that the population is nowhere near as enraged about Brexit as the Mail, Telegraph and a few PB posters keep telling us they are. Very timely by-election

The choice was between a People's Vote backing Labour candidate and a Tory candidate who voted to Leave, in a remarkably safe Labour seat, 9 years into Tory governance and there was a swing from the the Labour to the Tories.
    Not quite my point. To listen to some in the press on PB you would be forgiven for believing that leavers were so incensed at what is going on that they are on the brink of civil unrest. UKIP then poll 8.6% in a by-election.

It's not happening. The ultras in their comfortable newspaper offices are desperately trying to whip up the troops into a frenzy but most of the troops (Yaxley-Lennon apart) are remaining steadfastly unwipped. Farage's pitiful march was another indication.
    It wasn’t people who wanted to respect the referendum result that were inferring the smaller parties finishing position in the Newport by election would infer anything re the nationwide mood.

What stopped Farage standing the by election on a clear Leave Means Leave platform? He could have actually done something and put his money where his mouth was instead of just spouting hot air. What was he afraid of?

With nothing still settled on Brexit it would seem to have been the ideal opportunity for him to influence the debate and demonstrate that leavers are all as irate as he claims they are.
    You'd have to ask him, but I would disagree that Newport West was "the ideal opportunity"
  • Options

kamski said:

But claiming
    is illogical

I think we have more in common with New Zealand than Scottish nationalists but we should maintain the Union and our shared monarchy for Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Plaid saved their deposit by 9 votes !
  • Options

Government accepts we will have to hold EU elections if we extend beyond 23rd May and is preparing for them.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/793058/PM_letter_to_His_Excellency_Mr_Donald_Tusk__1_.pdf

Brexit Party. Brexit Party. Brexit Party. :D
  • Options
    isam said:

OllyT said:

isam said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

With nothing still settled on Brexit it would seem to have been the ideal opportunity for him to influence the debate and demonstrate that leavers are all as irate as he claims they are.
    You'd have to ask him, but I would disagree that Newport West was "the ideal opportunity"
    Hes gearing up for euros, his favourite election
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    edited April 2019

kamski said:

But claiming
    is illogical

Hmmm. I definitely feel I personally have much more in common with people in other EU countries like Germany, France, and Italy (just to pick the 3 biggest), than with China, India or the USA (taking the 3 biggest in the WTO).

I also think our national interests and concerns are also closer to our European neighbours', than to countries that some might feel we are culturally closer to "like" Canada, Australia, New Zealand and, remind me what other "English-speaking Commonwealth nations" you had in mind were? (there are a few to choose from)

edit: sorry this was a reply to Philip_Thompson
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

Once the extension is in place it isn't obvious why those MPs happy with a delay would vote to resolve the deal impasse in the options exercise on Monday.

Edit/ This surely makes a PV more likely, as a way to cement the extension?

The EU’s proposal is because they think they will get a better deal from Parliament than from May
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Kamski, because the principle of self-government and the right to elect and remove from office who governs one's nation is important.
  • Options
    Peterborough looks VERY interesting after this result
  • Options
    Mr. Pointer, alas, I must agree and defend veggie burgers (in name, at least).

*sighs*

I shall be having a ham sandwich for lunch to make myself feel better. And also a cheese sandwich.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

The 7,000 plus Tory voters are fanatics about sentence construction and spelling .... :smile:
    Don't start on me your Lordship I was up until nearly 2am waiting for a Tory evisceration that didn't happen! :D
    It's the hope that kill you .... :smile:

A factor to take into account is that whilst BREXIT continues to suck the life out of the chattering classes, media and dare I say the denizens of PB, it is not the lifeblood of the overwhelming majority of Mr & Mrs Joe Voter who for the most part go about their daily lives completely unencumbered by, albeit fed up with BREXIT.
  • Options

Mr. Kamski, because the principle of self-government and the right to elect and remove from office who governs one's nation is important.

I like that: "Mr. Kamski". But I'm not sure what you are referring to Mr Dancer
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think based on this result alone Rod Crosby's model would be forecasting a pretty big Conservative majority at the next election? :open_mouth:
    Depends on who the leader is
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    kamski said:

Mr. Foremain, but not domestically. And exporting to any market (whether a nation or trading bloc) requires said export to meet the requisite standards of the market.

Whereas under the EU, UK firms, even that are 100% domestic and export nothing to the other EU member-states, must obey all EU standards.

That's true, but is that a problem? I mean outside of the EU, 100% domestic firms would have to obey UK standards, and I don't see any good reason why UK standards would be generally better than EU standards, thought hopefully somebody could give some examples?
    Indeed Mr Kamski. Although Mr Dancer is one of the more thoughtful and polite Leave inclined posters, I am not sure this area is one that he has thought through.

One of the foremost and successful "notified bodies" (organisation that helps companies comply with conformity and safety regs) in Europe is actually British; BSI, formally known as the British Standards Institute, and it, in itself is a highly successful business. Thanks to the Brexit madness it is relocating to Amsterdam. We have an excellent history of standards and measures. Why not have them aligned to our nearest and largest market? It would be madness not to, and no advantage to British business whatsoever. Unless, of course, Mr Dancer is advocating that products sold in Britain should not have to conform to safety and measurement standards? Maybe he is.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    "Flextension" has possibilities. It could develop into "hexaflextension" for example, as way of describing the contortions and many-sidedness of May-Corbyn, Grieve-Cooper, Spelman-Dromey etc etc.
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

It's the hope that kill you .... :smile:

A factor to take into account is that whilst BREXIT continues to suck the life out of the chattering classes, media and dare I say the denizens of PB, it is not the lifeblood of the overwhelming majority of Mr & Mrs Joe Voter who for the most part go about their daily lives completely unencumbered by, albeit fed up with BREXIT.
    My Mum, who would never allow anything but the News on at 6pm when I was growing up, now switches over because it will all be about 'the B word'
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Plaid saved their deposit by 9 votes !

You've got plaid, ld and that renew lot grubbing about the deposit mark in a low turnout and you have this week talking about Corbyn needing to consider second referendum carefully based on it. Bizarre. Especially as their combined rise equaled that for the no deal loon party. Inconclusive at best
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Pulpstar said:

Any news on the petition? Ought to be getting close to the requisite number now.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

isam said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

With nothing still settled on Brexit it would seem to have been the ideal opportunity for him to influence the debate and demonstrate that leavers are all as irate as he claims they are. Perhaps he knows that they aren't, his "march" should have given him a clue!
    Farage is just a poseur. Dangerous, but still, fundamentally, a poseur.
  • Options

The preliminary investigation into the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 last month revealed Thursday that pilots began fighting the Boeing 737 MAX’s new automatic flight-control system barely a minute after leaving the ground, after a sensor failed shortly after takeoff....

The “black box” flight-recorder data shows that after MCAS swiveled the plane’s horizontal tail to push the nose sharply down three times in succession, the pilots hit the cut-off switches stopping the automatic action and tried to adjust the tail manually, according to the report by the Accident Investigation Bureau of Ethiopia’s Transport Ministry.

In doing so, they were following instructions provided by Boeing last November, following the crash of Lion Air Flight 610, on how to deal with such an inadvertent triggering of the new flight-control system.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/preliminary-crash-report-reveals-detail-of-ethiopian-pilots-fight-against-the-737-max-flight-controls/

Yes, I suppose that's true. It's going to cost them a huge amount though, financially and reputationally.

It's worth remembering as well that no corporations have a god-given right to exist forever; history is littered with once dominant companies who went to the wall or ended up as shadows of their former selves.
  • Options

Does the US prosecute corporate manslaughter? Someone needs to be accountable
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Although it wont have Flynns personal vote unwind
  • Options
    Mr. Kamski, I was referring to your post extolling the idea of the EU setting all our regulations.

Mr. Foremain, any chance you could point me to the post where I suggested British products should have no safety standards?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

Boeing sold $400m worth of Block III Super Hornets the USN just yesterday.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, aye, my mother often watches other stuff now rather than the news.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

All the various parties contending to be the true Leave vote are going to knock each other out. Easy Labour hold.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

$4bn surely? ($400m would only be 7 aircraft) ??
  • Options
    If she's asking for June 30th won't the answer be the same as the last time she asked for that date?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    GIN1138 said:

Brexit Party. Brexit Party. Brexit Party. :D
    There's no party like a Brexit Party.....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

OllyT said:

isam said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Farage is just a poseur. Dangerous, but still, fundamentally, a poseur.
    He's been banging on about Leaving for 20 years though. If he's a poseur he's a very determined one.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

All the various parties contending to be the true Leave vote are going to knock each other out. Easy Labour hold.
    And what about the parties contending to be the true Remain vote?
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Jenkin on R4 just now: "leaving the EU means GB becoming a free country, with this deal we do not become a free country, therefore this deal is not leaving the EU"
    five seconds later :
    "I am in favour of leaving under WTO rules"

sorry, but if we have to follow WTO rules we are not a free country.

I guess under his definition the only "free country" in the world is North Korea

Yes we are a free country under WTO rules.
    Yup, in exactly the same way as we are a free country in the EU, or in the single market, or in the customs union...
    No we are not.
    Don't WTO rules mean the UK has to follow international rules and obligations?
    Yes international rules and obligations.

In the EU and Customs Union are national rules and obligations are set internationally.
    Can you rephrase this, I don't understand what you mean
    WTO rules are international affecting everyone. For instance the concept of MFN.

EU/Customs Union rules are national affecting the nations it applies to.

Under the WTO we would be a free nation setting our own national laws within the established international order.
    In the EU/CU some of our national rules will be set by the EU. In the latter case without us even getting a say.

But claiming
    is illogical

The differences are (a) the EU’s remit is wider and can be expanded without our veto and (b) we can be consistently outvoted in the EU
  • Options

kamski said:

But claiming
    is illogical

More time than I've spent in any individual EU nation, a few weeks at a time every couple of years. My in-laws live there. Why?
  • Options
    isam said:
    The second point does not invalidate the first.
  • Options

Which is worse VW's fiddling of emmissions tests or Boeing's alleged short-cutting of certification?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169

I only watch the Brexit section of the news.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I only watch the Brexit section of the news.
    That's not news. That's a soap....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And what about the parties contending to be the true Remain vote?
    Last night showed that in potentially more favourable territory for such parties there's not much appetite for them.

• Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:
    I guess if Nick Griffin told people to stop judging others on the colour of their skin it would be hard to say his words were not correct.

Campbell's reply wasn't exactly in complete agreement, although had a Finbar Saunders-esque quality
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

If the Cooper Bill has forced the Government to request a longer extension already it is serving its purpose.
    Looks like the EU are going to give a longer extension anyway with the option for the UK to leave as soon as a deal is agreed. But I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. A long extension will just mean a continuation of squabbling at Westminster and no agreement on anything.
  • Options

kamski said:

But claiming
    is illogical

More time than I've spent in any individual EU nation, a few weeks at a time every couple of years. My in-laws live there. Why?
    I just wondered as I know you grew up in Australia but hadn't seen you mention anything about Canada.
  • Options

Alistair said:
    For a supposedly smart bloke, Tomkins shows worrying signs of being dumb. Didn't he at some Holyrood finance committee ask why companies should pay tax when they didn't have a vote?
    That is a philosophically coherent position (tax the owners not the entity). But limited real world practicality.
  • Options

Which is worse VW's fiddling of emmissions tests or Boeing's alleged short-cutting of certification?
    Boeing's led to direct deaths so probably the latter but the certification process was decided by the FAA not them. VW committed outright fraud which I don't think Boeing have actually been accused of.
  • Options

If she's asking for June 30th won't the answer be the same as the last time she asked for that date?

Yes.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:
    I guess if Nick Griffin told people to stop judging others on the colour of their skin it would be hard to say his words were not correct.

Campbell's reply wasn't exactly in complete agreement...
    There is a difference in kind between calling someone "a piece of shit" and accusing them of treason.

• Options

kamski said:

But claiming
    is illogical

I just wondered as I know you grew up in Australia but hadn't seen you mention anything about Canada.
    If you think meeting your girlfriend's parents the first time is stressful, imagine having to fly thousands of miles to meet them for the first time then stay in their home for weeks...
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Pulpstar said:

Hmm, I reckon the Tories will win the seat whilst going backwards. Anyway I'll shut up about it now till hopefully some odds come out :D
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Boeing's led to direct deaths so probably the latter but the certification process was decided by the FAA not them. VW committed outright fraud which I don't think Boeing have actually been accused of.
    Yes, sounds reasonable. One thing it reinforces for me is that large corporates need close scrutiny.
  • Options

WOW.. still.

So my first PL match at WHL2 did happen before Brexit... first trophy before it too?

You're expecting a long extension then?
    I was going to make a joke about never leaving! (As a Spurs supporter)
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Yes.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln
    I didn't say Einstein said it first! :lol:
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Pulpstar said:

Bold. If farages mob stand then perhaps but UKIP are useless. Plus there will be some punishment vote against labour for standing a crook last time. Tories won in 2005 when behind nationally and got 35% in the annus horribilis 97. Any swing to cons sees them take the seat

Plus, east Midlands. Trending away from labour innit
  • Options

Mr. Kamski, I was referring to your post extolling the idea of the EU setting all our regulations.

Mr. Foremain, any chance you could point me to the post where I suggested British products should have no safety standards?

Mr Dancer, I see. I'm not sure exactly which regulations we are talking about. But if the UK sets its own standards these are generally unlikely to be set by referendum or parliament. I mean, the maximum amount of pesticide residue allowed in baby food is unlikely to become an election issue. If the UK makes its own rules, won't they still be set by "unelected bureaucrats"? We will just be inefficiently duplicating work done by the EU, won't we?

I guess Mr Foremain is asking the question: if we have different safety standards to the rest of the EU in which direction are we going to change? lower safety standards? stricter safety standards? neither direction makes much sense does it?

And, despite the greater democratic distance, where there are disputes between the EU and national governments I have the impression (maybe wrong) that the EU is doing a slightly better job of trying to look after the interests of EU citizens than national governments. I'm thinking of things like fights over the amount of air pollution in the air we breathe.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

There is a difference in kind between calling someone "a piece of shit" and accusing them of treason.

Hoping someone gets run over by a bus is worse than both in my opinion.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121
    kamski said:

kamski said:

But claiming
    is illogical

Hmmm. I definitely feel I personally have much more in common with people in other EU countries like Germany, France, and Italy (just to pick the 3 biggest), than with China, India or the USA (taking the 3 biggest in the WTO).

I also think our national interests and concerns are also closer to our European neighbours', than to countries that some might feel we are culturally closer to "like" Canada, Australia, New Zealand and, remind me what other "English-speaking Commonwealth nations" you had in mind were? (there are a few to choose from)

edit: sorry this was a reply to Philip_Thompson
    Living in the US for five years and working with people from all over the world taught me that the cultural differences between the US and the UK are vast while the cultural similarities between the UK and other northern Europeans (Irish, Scandis, Dutch, Germans and French in decreasing order of cultural distance) are pretty small. Of course the language barrier is the key reason we think we identify more with the US than with our European neighbours, but since I was working with Europeans who spoke perfect English it wasn't an issue and the cultural similarities were much more manifest. My impression is that Australia and Canada are more like us than the US is, but that was based on short visits, and both countries seemed more like the US than the UK.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

One was straight forward corruption with no loss of life (I’m sure they’ll be claims of a gazillion more hypothetical people killed by air pollution, but the reality is a big fat zero).
  • Options

Yes, sounds reasonable. One thing it reinforces for me is that large corporates need close scrutiny.
    The scrutiny needs to be smart not a box ticking exercise.

VW and Boeing met plenty of box ticking exercises. Albeit one fraudulently.
  • Options
    May of course can't ask for later than June 30 as shes said she'll quit first
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, sounds like a comedy plot.

Mr. Kamski, disagree. The EU's approach to Amazon/VAT was meant to help consumers but ended up harming small and micro-businesses, whilst helping Amazon (because the extra red tape forced many smaller firms/individuals to move to marketplace websites like Amazon).

To combat ISIS-sold antiquities, a noble goal, the EU made things far more difficult for antique booksellers working legitimately. Now ISIS has lost all its territory, have the rules been loosened? Not that I'm aware of.

Articles 13 and 11 are great ways to shaft the internet with the deranged ideas of a link tax and an apparent attempt to help protect copyright which many fear, and it seems a legitimate concern, will end up stifling creativity and hammering smaller creative businesses.

The EU is technologically illiterate, unaware of the most basic concepts of business, and frankly delinquent when it comes to drafting laws like this.

UK politicians aren't great, but we don't need another layer of bureaucratic morons imposing this sort of bullshit on us.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    May asking for June 30th is madness. Queuing up to be humiliated in the EU elections.

Don't stand candidates - it's pointless.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm, I reckon the Tories will win the seat whilst going backwards. Anyway I'll shut up about it now till hopefully some odds come out :D
    They should, but as Alastair suggests it depends on whether leave voters divide between The Popular Front of Brexit, The People's Front and the Brexit People's Front. Not sure how I would vote if I lived there. Is the Tory candidate a Brexit hardliner or does she/he have a brain?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

They should, but as Alastair suggests it depends on whether leave voters divide between The Popular Front of Brexit, The People's Front and the Brexit People's Front. Not sure how I would vote if I lived there. Is the Tory candidate a Brexit hardliner or does she/he have a brain?
    Paul Bristow, hardcore Brexiteer I think.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

May asking for June 30th is madness. Queuing up to be humiliated in the EU elections.

As it is D'Hondt, voting someone else other than the Tories doesn't help Labour either.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    The continued speculation about changing the "Brexit date" by a few weeks and the threat of no deal in one week is good for no European economy and frankly an absurd way to do politics. The 2 year notice that comes with Article 50 was sensible, but we are where we are now, and another approach is needed.

A formal brexit date should now be withdrawn, but the negotiations votes etc carry on. Once the EU and the UK have agreed the withdrawal plan, then a two month notice is given with a definite date and known leaving conditions. This would allow comanpies and citizens to make realistic plans without having to hav 3 short term contingency plans.

Anyone who objects, saying that then Brexit will never happen, i reply "if the political will for Brexit is there then it will happen and Brexit is so big, we need to get it right, not rushed through in a few days just to meet a deadline"
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited April 2019
    Q: Without the superficial Etonian varnish and Latin epigrams, would Mogg have been seen through years & years & years ago?

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1114089657300602880
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458

isam said:

isam said:

I think a truer comparison is the practise of labelling those we don't agree with 'extremists'. This type of vilification is equally dangerous to our society.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

As it is D'Hondt, voting someone else other than the Tories doesn't help Labour either.
    Voting Labour helps Labour or are you claiming that voting Labour is not "voting someone else other than the Tories"
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Shes hoping to get the Corbyn compromise though and cancel them. If labour are on board they are unlikely to whip for a referendum as they would presumably have to campaign approve and leave. Even if they whip a referendum isn't passing imo
  • Options

Living in the US for five years and working with people from all over the world taught me that the cultural differences between the US and the UK are vast while the cultural similarities between the UK and other northern Europeans (Irish, Scandis, Dutch, Germans and French in decreasing order of cultural distance) are pretty small. Of course the language barrier is the key reason we think we identify more with the US than with our European neighbours, but since I was working with Europeans who spoke perfect English it wasn't an issue and the cultural similarities were much more manifest. My impression is that Australia and Canada are more like us than the US is, but that was based on short visits, and both countries seemed more like the US than the UK.

I deliberately didn't say the US. I have lived in Australia, it is very much the UK with US influences and more sunshine. The UK itself now has US influences too.

You could transport Melbourne into the UK and it would not feel alien.
  • Options

Higher emissions = higher deaths too. If they'd told the truth about the real level of emissions, it might have caused Governments to eradicate diesel engines sooner.

That said, the paper trail up through Boeing senior management is going to be interesting....
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

I think a truer comparison is the practise of labelling those we don't agree with 'extremists'. This type of vilification is equally dangerous to our society.
    Accusations of treason are extreme. Great claims require great evidence. The evidence that the nutjobs seem to think is sufficient is having a different view of the best way forward for the country.

Oddly, these selfsame nutjobs often seem entirely happy at the prospect of working with foreign powers to bring about their own aims.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Would you describe, say, Tommy Robinson as an extremist, or just someone we (whoever 'we' is) should respectfully disagree with.
  • Options

Q: Without the superficial Etonian varnish and Latin epigrams, would Mogg have been seen through years & years & years ago?

A: Yes
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Voting Labour helps Labour or are you claiming that voting Labour is not "voting someone else other than the Tories"
    Sorry I meant that if you don't want Labour to "win" then in FPTP normally you need to vote Conservative, but in D'Hondt there is no post so you can vote for someone else you want to see represent you in the Euro Parliament without the vote in effect boosting Labour.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TGOHF said:

We know May likes dancing. Maybe they have done a little public dance, both sides knowing what extension will actually be granted....
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Accusations of treason are extreme. Great claims require great evidence. The evidence that the nutjobs seem to think is sufficient is having a different view of the best way forward for the country.

Oddly, these selfsame nutjobs often seem entirely happy at the prospect of working with foreign powers to bring about their own aims.
    Yes they're extreme but not as extreme as wishing someone's death upon them as Campbell did with the 'run over by a bus' comment.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,141
    edited April 2019

kamski said:

WTO rules only apply to countries that belong to the WTO, not "everyone". EU rules only apply to countries that belong to the EU. I don't see a fundamental difference, just one of degree, and the size

If you think meeting your girlfriend's parents the first time is stressful, imagine having to fly thousands of miles to meet them for the first time then stay in their home for weeks...
    We are very much a European country in culture - the only thing that connects us to the culturally very different Commonwealth and US is language. We were part of the European family long before the Pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts and have never stopped so being. The sooner we in England realise we are just a medium sized region of Europe that has nonsensically cut itself off from any say in the workings of our central government the better. The idea that we are somehow “fee” of the entity we are part of, when all we have done is deprive ourselves of any say in its government, will be seen as the insanity it is in a few short years.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    edited April 2019

I rather think the concern was that the UK Government would enthusiastically take us in to the EU army, not that it would have been dragged in without its consent. We didn't get a vote to install a Government and political class that fought tooth and nail for the interests of the British people, we got a vote on whether to leave the EU. You do the best with what you're given.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kamski said:

WTO rules only apply to countries that belong to the WTO, not "everyone". EU rules only apply to countries that belong to the EU. I don't see a fundamental difference, just one of degree, and the size

We are very much a European country in culture - the only thing that connects us to the culturally very different Commonwealth and US is language. We were part of the European family long before the Pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts and have never stopped so being. The sooner we in England realise we are just a medium sized region of Europe that has nonsensically cut itself off from any day in the workings of our central government the better. The idea that we are somehow “fee” of the entity we are part of, when all we have done is deprive ourselves of any say in its government, will be seen as the insanity it is in a few short years.
    Utterly absurd claim. What makes us culturally more different than say Australia than we are say Romania?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Morning all :)

The first point about the Newport West numbers is how close they are to the 2010 and 2015 GE numbers so roughly 40% Labour and 30% Conservative. The rest of the voters have been widely shared across a range of votes - in 2010 about 15% voted LD and in 2015 15% voted UKIP. In 2017 Plaid, UKIP, the LDs and Greens got 8.5% between them - last night it was 22% with Renew getting nearly 4% so a big swing away from the two main parties and to the smaller parties.

Nationally, it's the contrast between the GEs of June 1970 and Feb 1974. In 1970, the Conservative and Labour parties won 89.5% of the vote and in Feb 1974 that fell to 75.1%. In 2017 the two main parties won 82.4% of the vote - if we are reverting to 2010/2015 norms we would be looking at 65-70% so both Conservative and Labour parties looking at big vote share falls which won't be reflected in falls in seats to anywhere near the same extent.

That would chime with recent polls putting both Conservative and Labour in the mid 30s but with the rest of the vote continuing to be widely spread with both UKIP and LDs doing better but still a long way from their optimum GE performances.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

Dura_Ace said:

$4bn surely? ($400m would only be 7 aircraft) ??
    Yes. Typo induced by brexit neurosis.
  • Options

Whilst screwing up the EU would be hilarious it would also be damaging economically and to any chance of being seen worldwide as more than Miss Haversham, a sad old crone pissing herself in her 50 year old wedding gown and taking out her bitterness on all around. So, shits and giggles versus being a power, however fading
  • Options

I rather think the concern was that the UK Government would enthusiastically take us in to the EU army, not that it would have been dragged in without its consent. We didn't get a vote to install a Government and political class that fought tooth and nail for the interests of the British people, we got a vote on whether to leave the EU. You do the best with what you're given.
    So Brexit was about saving us from our own governments? An interesting concept.
This discussion has been closed.