Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB’s man in Wales, Harry Hayfield, on today’s Newport West by-

Comments

• Options
    sealo0sealo0 Posts: 48
    dots said:

Huge leak of water in the commons, its proper broken

The roof falling in is an omen
    Does this include the House of Lords?
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    edited April 2019

From the Guardian live blog:

A senior EU official has confirmed that if the UK crashes out of the bloc in nine days time controls will have to be in place on “day one” on milk and other animal products coming from Northern Ireland.

They say it will “be difficult” to say how the giant co-operatives that currently exist on the south of the border could continue to do daily milk collections picking up both milk from farms on both sides of the frontier.

They will also see a 19p EU tariff slapped on the payment they get per litre of milk almost doubling the current 26p per litre cost, warned bosses at Dairy UK.

This is the kind of thing which would make a No Deal crash-out politically and socially catastrophic. It's not our imports that are the big problem (except for the knock-on effect of disruption in trucks going back to the EU), it's our exports, especially of agricultural products and seafood. The latter industry will collapse rapidly if it can't land produce directly and without hold-ups in EU ports.

The EU source is bullshitting. And you are latching onto this bullshit to spin your own narrative.

Council already have a very workable GF respecting plan to do nothing in the first instance of a no deal and in time add checks well away from the border. Rather than stumped by it they are shoring up plans this week to make sure that end is watertight and they are all on message.

We will see increasing more of this bullshit from the commission in the coming week, as exasperated they try to put pressure on, but the council will then pour cold water all over it and implement their cool headed GF honouring not seeking to be provocative plan for no deal. Why? Because protecting the integrity of their market place is ultimately owned not by the commission, but the council.

To be polite to you, They are the ones to listen to not the agitators in the commission.

No Deal brexit is certain. In touch of Dr Strangelove, learn to love it. And all the good it will do.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    dots said:

A senior EU official has confirmed that if the UK crashes out of the bloc in nine days time controls will have to be in place on “day one” on milk and other animal products coming from Northern Ireland.

They say it will “be difficult” to say how the giant co-operatives that currently exist on the south of the border could continue to do daily milk collections picking up both milk from farms on both sides of the frontier.

They will also see a 19p EU tariff slapped on the payment they get per litre of milk almost doubling the current 26p per litre cost, warned bosses at Dairy UK.

This is the kind of thing which would make a No Deal crash-out politically and socially catastrophic. It's not our imports that are the big problem (except for the knock-on effect of disruption in trucks going back to the EU), it's our exports, especially of agricultural products and seafood. The latter industry will collapse rapidly if it can't land produce directly and without hold-ups in EU ports.

The EU source is bullshitting. And you are latching onto this bullshit to spin your own narrative.

Council already have a very workable GF respecting plan to do nothing in the first instance of a no deal and in time add checks well away from the border. Rather than stumped by it they are shoring up plans this week to make sure that end is watertight and they are all on message.

We will see increasing more of this bullshit from the commission in the coming week, as exasperated they try to put pressure on, but the council will then pour cold water all over it and implement their cool headed GF honouring not seeking to be provocative plan for no deal. Why? Because protecting the integrity of their market place is ultimately owned not by the commission, but the council.

To be polite to you, They are the ones to listen to not the agitators in the commission.

No Deal brexit is certain. In touch of Dr Strangelove, learn to love it. And all the good it will do.
    Ah yes, the 'that cliff we're about to drive over is bluffing' argument.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    dots said:

Newsnight reported last night that various medicines, including anti-seizure medicines, were proving incapable of being stockpiled for a no-deal Brexit. If I have to start dealing with my partner having seizures because some geniuses have decided that it's for the greater good, forgive me if I don't learn to love it. Or them.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Totally O/T...but super interesting.

Why some Asian accents swap Ls and Rs in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzMUs3badc
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

rpjs said:

viewcode said:

@HarryHayfield

Excellent article as always. Have you perchance heard the Comic Relief song "Newport State Of Mind". The article seemed to make reference to some of the lyrics... :)

I preferred Goldie Lookin' Chain's response "You're Not From Newport"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx8CZyFM4b4
    I prefer the original one that Comic Relief based theirs on.

https://youtu.be/Eijc2tGe-zM
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

I like one comment about the leak in the Commons:-

"I hope no-one's tag got short-circuited."
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

dots said:

Newsnight reported last night that various medicines, including anti-seizure medicines, were proving incapable of being stockpiled for a no-deal Brexit. If I have to start dealing with my partner having seizures because some geniuses have decided that it's for the greater good, forgive me if I don't learn to love it. Or them.
    As someone reliant on a steady diet of 12 pills a day I'm not thrilled at the prospect of shortage.
    Out with the WA and I no longer care what deal, just get it did already
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,020

Tesla's share price tumbled nearly 9% after the electric carmaker warned on profits following a 31% drop in vehicle deliveries during the first quarter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47817830

On the other hand, last night SpaceX fired up the Starhopper.
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/04/spacexs-starhopper-vehicle-test-fires-its-engine-for-the-first-time/

Musk is someone I really, really dislike, yet like at the same time.

Still, at least he's 100 times better than Steve Jobs ... ;)
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Nice report but I think you've got your footballers mixed up. Craig Bellamy is a Cardiff boy, born and bred. No connection to Newport. Not sure any well known footballers have ever come from Newport.
    Ps should be comfortable labour hold.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Tesla's share price tumbled nearly 9% after the electric carmaker warned on profits following a 31% drop in vehicle deliveries during the first quarter.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/04/spacexs-starhopper-vehicle-test-fires-its-engine-for-the-first-time/

I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying my escape from the apple eco-system. My Samsung S10 is a joy, with a far superior screen, especially after customizing the crap out of it with a custom launcher / widgets / icon packs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

dots said:

I don't blame you.

The Biotech/pharma research industry isn't happy, either:
    https://www.outsourcing-pharma.com/Article/2019/03/28/Brexit-threatens-bioanalytical-innovation-in-the-UK-as-logistics-remain-unclear
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

In the 1980s and 1990s, the late Julian May wrote a series of eight books: the four Pliocene Exile books, the standalone vinculum 'Intervention', and the three novels of the Galactic Milieu trilogy.

In them, she describe a world where alien races have come to Earth whilst we were on the brink of nuclear war and offered us the stars. Since then, mankind has moved out from Earth to planets around the Galaxy: the large nations have many worlds, the smaller a few, and the smallest share some. Vast liners travel the ether between worlds, and mankind is flourishing.

Yet there are discontents. Humans - often powerful and influential ones - who rail against the aliens with whom we share control. We once controlled the world, but we are now a small piece of a gigantic Galactic cog. We should be in charge.

So these discontents start a rebellion that destroys worlds and kills billions. It is a pointless rebellion: one where they shake their fists at the very beings who have treated us well.

And it ends with Humanity chastened and still part of the Milieu. Little has changed, for the course was inevitable, and changing it would destroy everything.

And that is now what might happen to Brexit. We in the UK have a history that is littered with glory, and it is easy to sit back and want those glories to return. Britannia ruled the waves, and we ruled the world. But that world has changed: first came America, and then other countries overtook us. We are a small country: proud and brilliant, but small - in a world where size matters.

In such a world, is the EU an inevitability?

So we have a choice: to join up with other small countries (and smaller ones) to form a bloc that has more power together, or to be small and alone. It seems that the former might be inevitable. If so, perhaps the wettest of wet dreams of hardcore Europhiles are correct and, like Humanity after the rebellion, we will eventually become leaders of the group.

If so, then Brexit may be, like the rebellion in the books, a felix culpa - a blessed fall.

Intervention and the Galactic Milieu books were an outstanding read. The earlier ones, not so much. The inevitability of a mental unity is not inherently attractive to me, I thought that Uncle Rogi was by far the best character in the stories. I am also pretty sure its not even mentioned in the PD either!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    valleyboy said:

Nice report but I think you've got your footballers mixed up. Craig Bellamy is a Cardiff boy, born and bred. No connection to Newport. Not sure any well known footballers have ever come from Newport.

How can you forget Tony Pulis ;-)
  • Options

dots said:

As someone reliant on a steady diet of 12 pills a day I'm not thrilled at the prospect of shortage.
    You are right. We can never leave the EU and stand free of them because of our dependency on EU membership for drugs.

Are you remainers by any chance? You seem to be spewing up all the bullshit you’ve swallowed about what happens in a disorderly brexit.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

During the referendum campaign, I don't remember anyone saying either that the result was only advisory, or that MPs would have the chance to prevent us leaving after Article 50 was invoked.

Did they?

Yes. This was in comparison to the AV referendum in 2011 which explicitly was binding.
    Oh right, who said so during the campaign?
    Cameron was pretty clear the result would be implemented

Despite previous experience most people take a promise from a PM at face value
    Did Cameron have the authority to give that undertaking?

For my part, I voted as I did on the understanding that it was only advisory.
    As leader of the majority party in Parliament, sure.
  • Options

What you have left out of your summary is that the humans who rebelled did so, not out of antipathy towards the aliens, but because the aliens were not open about why they were restricting / controlling humanity. The exiles ended up escaping back in time and - at the end of the story - they cross the earlier galaxy to help the ancestors of that mystic alien race solve their differences and (over time) evolve into the alien race who help earth in the future.

Silly - but arguably the human rebels ended up being right and saving humanity. Discuss.

Were the aliens not open and truthful, or was that just the perception of the rebels? Humanity had been granted massive advantages, and yet we were not satisfied. Being part of a larger group does mean you lose something: as that is what being an equal member of any group (even down to the scale of a marriage) means. But you can also gain much more than you lose.

Your last point is utterly correct: as the arc of the book means that Humanity could not progress to the stars without the rebellion, and especially Marc's part in it.

Then there is Felice. I really wish she was/is the Carbuncle, but apparently that's not what Julian May wanted ... :)
    I really enjoyed reading the books when I was younger. I always liked the development of Aiken Drum as a character.
  • Options
    dots said:

dots said:

You are right. We can never leave the EU and stand free of them because of our dependency on EU membership for drugs.

Are you remainers by any chance? You seem to be spewing up all the bullshit you’ve swallowed about what happens in a disorderly brexit.

I said leave with the WA and any deal they want to negotiate. That would make me an odd remainer. I am a leave voter on the basis of disliking the structure and integration of yet another third world buggering superpower. I don't give a hoot if there's FOM a CU or baguettes for brekkie I just want it over
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited April 2019

I simply don't believe it. Perhaps the Irish and UK gov'ts will reach an agreement to pay the value of tariffs to the EU as part mitigation and plead special measures otherwise.
    It's not the tariffs which are the main issue. It's the legal position regarding import of foodstuffs into the EU from a third country.

And even if they do somehow manage to sort out something for Ireland (under what powers, though?), that doesn't alter the general point. There are lots and lots of these type of problem. Even if it legally could do so, is the EU going to go to enormous trouble for the sake of (Leave-voting!) Aberdeen fishermen, for example?

Saying 'I simple don't believe it' is not good enough. Those problems are not fictional, they are the direct effect of EU treaty law which any expert can tell you about.
    Trust me Richard, I am not hand-waving.

All EU member states are under an obligation to maintain and police the common external border.

It is a Herculean task, and to a greater or lesser extent, each of them fails to.

The UK, and most others, are already facing enforcement ation.

By failing to put in place any measures to collect tariffs or enforce product standards/allowing non-compliant goods to enter free circulation, Ireland would hardly be breaking new ground.

For example:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/08/uk-faces-2bn-fine-over-chinese-imports-scam-say-eu-anti-fraud-investigators

No deal will be a disaster, because there are plenty of other issues it creates which cannot be resolved by masterful inaction.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    dots said:

dots said:

To be clear, is it your position that you don't care whether anyone suffers any harm as a result of a no deal Brexit or that you don't believe that there is any risk of any harm?

Just so I can assess whether you're evil or delusional.
  • Options

dots said:

Yes, that’s the one. 😀

Learn to love that minor bump in the road formerly spun by British and EU establishment as a cliff, because this is happening folks.

A no deal exit is now inevitable. Why? The size and smell of the shit sandwich the UK government will have to eat to avoid it has become politically impossible to swallow.

Also, in the event of a No Deal exit the Conservative Party, wounded, survives. But Labour does not. Labour party R.I.P. because conservative members and supporters in the country are behind no deal, Labours aren’t, and labour voters and members have plenty of other options throughout UK to go to as this year develops and the party remains buried under the media barrage for voting with ERG to enable no deal to happen, and refusing to vote for pv when the chance was before them

Goodnight. 🙃
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

During the referendum campaign, I don't remember anyone saying either that the result was only advisory, or that MPs would have the chance to prevent us leaving after Article 50 was invoked.

Did they?

Yes. This was in comparison to the AV referendum in 2011 which explicitly was binding.

Off his own bat then? Or was it signed off by the Cabinet?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Did they?

He could personally pledge himself and (if he was feeling brave) his MPs for the remainder of that parliament. That doesn't mean that anything he said then is capable of affecting matters relating to the constitution now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

IanB2 said:

FPT

Christ, if a walk in Wales meant a GE what does a house in Ireland presage?

https://twitter.com/munsterexpress/status/1113398563604783104

Well you can't blame her for not wanting to meet British people in the street when she leaves office. Where is Cameron hiding out?
    Some sort of shed in the backwoods of the Cotswolds? Or is it a gypsy-type caravan?
    It's called a shepherd's hut apparently. The closest it's ever got to a shepherd is the half tray of last night's Charlie Bigham's shepherd's pie that Dave smuggled in to scoff while staring into space and not writing his autobiography.
    From the recent images of Fat Boy Cameron, make that a full tray.....
  • Options

So far, I make it 97 Conservative councillors returned unopposed or guaranteed.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited April 2019

dots said:

dots said:

I said leave with the WA and any deal they want to negotiate. That would make me an odd remainer. I am a leave voter on the basis of disliking the structure and integration of yet another third world buggering superpower. I don't give a hoot if there's FOM a CU or baguettes for brekkie I just want it over
    As someone involved closely and professionally in NHS no-deal contingencies for the supply of medicines, medical supplies and non-clinical material, the preparations are extensive and sophisticated. In addition to considerable stockpiling by manufacturers and wholesalers, there is additional dedicated freight capacity through non-channel ports equivalent to the entire current NHS freight capacity, as well as dedicated air-freight capacity for short-life or refrigerated products. Every port has an individual in place to ensure NHS supplies are prioritised and and far as possible, unimpeded.

If everyone plays their part (suppliers, freight partners, NHS providers and patients) as intended, then there should be no interruption to supply. If providers, patients or prescribers stockpile locally or over-prescribe, then this could inadvertently cause issues.

The NHS is very adept and experienced at managing supply shortages. It happens every day. For example a couple of weeks ago we were managing in excess of 80 medicines supply issues, all of which were non-Brexit related. Many were related to manufacturing changes in the Far East.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,996

valleyboy said:

Worst possible outcome would be Neil Hamilton winning.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Sean_F said:

They can get on with the business of opposing each other when safely in place :)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,114

Yep, Scottish West coast prawn & scallop fishermen are absolutely bricking it. Strangely their representatives are never the ones that get the attention in the media.
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352
    dots said:

dots said:

Yes, that’s the one. 😀

Learn to love that minor bump in the road formerly spun by British and EU establishment as a cliff, because this is happening folks.

A no deal exit is now inevitable. Why? The size and smell of the shit sandwich the UK government will have to eat to avoid it has become politically impossible to swallow.

Also, in the event of a No Deal exit the Conservative Party, wounded, survives. But Labour does not. Labour party R.I.P. because conservative members and supporters in the country are behind no deal, Labours aren’t, and labour voters and members have plenty of other options throughout UK to go to as this year develops and the party remains buried under the media barrage for voting with ERG to enable no deal to happen, and refusing to vote for pv when the chance was before them

Goodnight. 🙃
    Complete insanity - if that's the prevailing Tory view then we are all f*cked....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Another 6 and that's more than the kippers in total
  • Options

dots said:

dots said:

As someone involved closely and professionally in NHS no-deal contingencies for the supply of medicines, medical supplies and non-clinical material, the preparations are extensive and sophisticated. In addition to considerable stockpiling by manufacturers and wholesalers, there is additional dedicated freight capacity through non-channel ports equivalent to the entire current NHS freight capacity, as well as dedicated air-freight capacity for short-life or refrigerated products. Every port has an individual in place to ensure NHS supplies are prioritised and and far as possible, unimpeded.

If everyone plays their part (suppliers, freight partners, NHS providers and patients) as intended, then there should be no interruption to supply. If providers, patients or prescribers stockpile locally or over-prescribe, then this could inadvertently cause issues.

The NHS is very adept and experienced at managing supply shortages. It happens every day. For example a couple of weeks ago we were managing in excess of 80 medicines supply issues, all of which were non-Brexit related. Many were related to manufacturing changes in the Far East.

Thank you for this info
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I imagine that there will be about 180 in the end, with hundreds more not facing major party opposition. Granted, these are rural wards, but it's still a piss poor effort from Labour and Lib Dems.
  • Options
    HoC adjourned for the day. Better hope it doesn't happen at an important time. Oh wait......
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Did they?

You’re into the territory of reasonable expectations at that poibtv
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I imagine that there will be about 180 in the end, with hundreds more not facing major party opposition. Granted, these are rural wards, but it's still a piss poor effort from Labour and Lib Dems.
    Is it election fatigue?
  • Options
    The Chamber of the HOC has been suspended for the day due to water leaking in through the press gallery

Sums brexit up - the roofs caving in !!!!!!
  • Options

valleyboy said:

Worst possible outcome would be Neil Hamilton winning.
    Please do not go there OKC
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

dots said:

dots said:

If you have helped set this up then - Top Job Sir.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Did they?

He could personally pledge himself and (if he was feeling brave) his MPs for the remainder of that parliament. That doesn't mean that anything he said then is capable of affecting matters relating to the constitution now.
    Sure, but it does create the political backdrop
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Nigelb said:

dots said:

I don't blame you.

The Biotech/pharma research industry isn't happy, either:
    https://www.outsourcing-pharma.com/Article/2019/03/28/Brexit-threatens-bioanalytical-innovation-in-the-UK-as-logistics-remain-unclear
    Sadly the difficulty is not about whether preventing treatments is a good thing - it isn't; the real problem is the less tangible one of assigning responsibility. If there is no deal and harm is done (I don't want either or both of those outcomes) the list of possible blameworthy is indefinitely long: Drafters of the badly drawn up Art 50, parliaments who waved it through, those who thought we didn't need referenda on big EU issues while other countries did, Labour for not voting for a WA they actually agreed with, the EU for not permitting an extension, the ERG for not comprehending reality, the media for misreporting, the Commons for triggering Art 50 when they hadn't clue what they wanted, Remain voters for voting in leave manifestos in 2017, the DUP for being the DUP......and one has still hardly started.

Happily I don't believe we shall crash out.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Huge leak of water in the commons, its proper broken

MPs have been told that it requires a massive amount of work to fix. They refuse to do what is necessary because they fear it will be unpopular.

There are obvious parallels with the inability to follow through on Brexit, or stopping Brexit.

It is therefore a fitting coincidence. In extremis would they use Westminster Hall for normal debates?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    DavidL said:

Intervention and the Galactic Milieu books were an outstanding read. The earlier ones, not so much. The inevitability of a mental unity is not inherently attractive to me, I thought that Uncle Rogi was by far the best character in the stories. I am also pretty sure its not even mentioned in the PD either!

We could have that in the PD if we want. So long as we sign the WA we can have whatever we like in there. I would like to see a cure for cancer.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Iain M Banks didn't realise "The Culture" would be an RIP Harambe song ;)
  • Options

dots said:

dots said:

If you have helped set this up then - Top Job Sir.
    I’m just a small cog - an Exit lead in a specialist NHS Trust. The real stars are the civil servants at a national level.

If the preparations in other sectors are as good, we can accommodate any outcome without the cataclysmic results predicted in by the more shrill commentators/politicians.
  • Options

The Chamber of the HOC has been suspended for the day due to water leaking in through the press gallery

God is a Leaver?

Don’t forget it rained on referendum day as well..,

😇
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Wiggs, cheers for that post (and your good work).
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Did they?

Well, for starters we know that he was over-promising on the basis that he intended to resign on a "Yes" result, and would therefore have no influence on what the Government did.
  • Options
    A criminal serving her sentence passes the vote to create law Wednesday, and the Commons is flooded Thursday.

What will Friday have in store ?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I had the impression that Labour’s membership numbers were such they could field someone everywhere (even if only on paper).
  • Options

I doubt anyone was going to say anything interesting, new or imaginative. Not much loss.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Did they?

But this is a major constitutional change. The original acceptance of the Referendum was IIRC on the basis that it was merely advisory. And then the Prime Minister of the day arrogantly upgrades it, off his own bat, to be a prescriptive referendum?

The only reason why the Referendum could not be overturned on the basis of the corrupt and illegal behaviour on the part of the Leave Campaign, according to the Electoral Commission, was because it was merely advisory. Obviously, Mr Cameron forgot to inform them of its change of status.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Did they?

But it does mean that people who don't implement it need to successfully argue why they're going back on what he said. And after two years of "will of the people" schtick from Mrs M, I can see why she'd crap herself about Revoke or Ref2. After GE2017, if she'd said it was clear the British people had denied her a majority and she'd have to compromise, it might not be such an issue. But she wrongly bet the farm that she could get both wings of her party and the EU27 close enough to find a sweetspot between them... and promised stuff it turned out she can't deliver.

(And however keen No Dealers are on the prospect now, I don't hold out much hope of it lasting *if* stuff like the farm exports and other grief comes to pass).
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Good afternoon. This is the best article I've read in the last few days.

https://unherd.com/2019/04/who-takes-advantage-of-disadvantage/
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Don't they have to have their name crossed off? Unless they pretend to be another MP, I'm not sure they can cheat.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Pulpstar said:

A criminal serving her sentence passes the vote to create law Wednesday, and the Commons is flooded Thursday.

What will Friday have in store ?

Locusts?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

I see your point, I'm just thinking mps might, or perhaps will, blink and pass an option that gets us out if faced with the prospect of perhaps revoking and facing the storm

You may well be right - if every Conservative who voted against MV3 had voted for it would have carried 320 to 310. The notion the WA isn't going through because of the DUP is therefore nonsense.

Nothing I've heard since however suggests the 34 holdouts will shift - indeed, there may be more given what has transpired since.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Did they?

I’d like to know what would have happened if the HofC rejected Cameron’s renegotiation after a Remain win. Another referendum?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I’m just a small cog - an Exit lead in a specialist NHS Trust. The real stars are the civil servants at a national level.

If the preparations in other sectors are as good, we can accommodate any outcome without the cataclysmic results predicted in by the more shrill commentators/politicians.

Your second paragraph doesn't follow. I've always thought that the alarm about disruption to the supply of drugs and other medical supplies was over-blown. Firstly they are imports, not exports, so there's no issue of legal or regulatory barriers outside the UK's control to worry about. Secondly we already have as you imply the administrative structures to oversee continuity of supply. And thirdly, even if there was some problem with incoming supplies at ports because of general disruption, these are generally low-bulk, highish value items, which can easily be flown in specially if necessary. So the kind of no-deal preparation you describe should be able to handle any issues which arise.

Now tell me how we can do or ever could have done no-deal planning to force French ports to accept Scottish scallops (with a shelf-life measured in hours).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Just as well it wasn't yesterday! Did the ERG plumber arrive a day late?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Don't they have to have their name crossed off? Unless they pretend to be another MP, I'm not sure they can cheat.
    In the Seventies, the Labour Chief Whip, Walter Harrison, used to provide disguises so that Labour MP's could vote twice. Callaghan was astonished by his ability to pull of one tied vote after another (usually, the Speaker voted with the government).
  • Options

It's called a shepherd's hut apparently. The closest it's ever got to a shepherd is the half tray of last night's Charlie Bigham's shepherd's pie that Dave smuggled in to scoff while staring into space and not writing his autobiography.

Those Charlie Bigham pies are an absolute disgrace. The top is not properly attached to the main body of the pastry, it slides off and leaves you with something extremely ill defined to deal with.

Had not struck me before but in that very real sense, a Charlie Bigham pie is like Brexit. Expensive too. And arguably mis-sold with the 'pie' description. The similarities go on and on, come to think of it.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

valleyboy said:

Haha
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    If I were having a bet on the Newport West by-election it would be LibDems to take 3rd place at 8/1. Needs them to garner remainer votes at a slightly higher rate than UKIP pull in leavers. I think they can do that. Remainers seem much more politically active right now. And UKIP have Neil Hamilton.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
  • Options

Your second paragraph doesn't follow. I've always thought that the alarm about disruption to the supply of drugs and other medical supplies was over-blown. Firstly they are imports, not exports, so there's no issue of legal or regulatory barriers outside the UK's control to worry about. Secondly we already have as you imply the administrative structures to oversee continuity of supply. And thirdly, even if there was some problem with incoming supplies at ports because of general disruption, these are generally low-bulk, highish value items, which can easily be flown in specially if necessary. So the kind of no-deal preparation you describe should be able to handle any issues which arise.

Now tell me how we can do or ever could have done no-deal planning to force French ports to accept Scottish scallops (with a shelf-life measured in hours).
    The perceived risk is down to the huge reliance on two-way traffic through channel ports. We can waive through imports fine. But there is an immediate knock on impact of any delays on the EU side. Hence the need to create additional non-channel port freight capacity.

There are similarly robust contingencies in place to mitigate risks arising from workforce, blood, data, research, etc, etc.

Why on earth would we want to give the French our scallops. We should be eating the tasty things ourselves!

• Options

If I were having a bet on the Newport West by-election it would be LibDems to take 3rd place at 8/1. Needs them to garner remainer votes at a slightly higher rate than UKIP pull in leavers. I think they can do that. Remainers seem much more politically active right now. And UKIP have Neil Hamilton.

Yes, I'm on this one. Also laid UKIP at 14s to win £20 on Betfair yesterday.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    kinabalu said:

Those Charlie Bigham pies are an absolute disgrace. The top is not properly attached to the main body of the pastry, it slides off and leaves you with something extremely ill defined to deal with.

Had not struck me before but in that very real sense, a Charlie Bigham pie is like Brexit. Expensive too. And arguably mis-sold with the 'pie' description. The similarities go on and on, come to think of it.
    Point of order: There's no pastry on a shepherd's pie.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Sean_F said:

There are, I think, nearly 9,500 seats up for grabs on 2/5 so the fact the Conservatives are unopposed in just over 1% of them (have you bothered counting how many Labour Councillors are guaranteed to be returned?) is hardly news.

How does this compare with 2015 would be a better guide - presumably then there were more UKIP candidates fighting Conservatives.

I doubt Labour and the LDs have ever been able to put up full slates for the English rural elections - describing it as "piss poor" seems rather mean-spirited and petty.

This might on the other hand be a good election to be an Independent (they won 500 seats last time). I'll be keeping an eye on Tandridge where the Independents might make more gains from the Conservatives while in Guildford a new independent group is contesting a number of the seats.

http://r4gv.org.uk/

• Options
    matt said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I had the impression that Labour’s membership numbers were such they could field someone everywhere (even if only on paper).
    How does this situation compare with normal. AToW we have in my ward 2 Independents vs (don't laugh too loud) 2 'independently minded' Conservatives and 2 Labour. In the next ward SE'wards we have two Conservatives, two Greens and two Labour. Both Labour and Tories are putting up pretty well a full slate, and the Greens aren't far off.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Scott_P said:
    He’s your pal now remember, be nice.
  • Options
    Sounds like May, Corbyn and the rest of parliament have failed to do the homework Macron and Barnier have set for them !
  • Options

The perceived risk is down to the huge reliance on two-way traffic through channel ports. We can waive through imports fine. But there is an immediate knock on impact of any delays on the EU side. Hence the need to create additional non-channel port freight capacity.

There are similarly robust contingencies in place to mitigate risks arising from workforce, blood, data, research, etc, etc.

Why on earth would we want to give the French our scallops. We should be eating the tasty things ourselves!

The last point - British will, it appears only eat cod, farmed salmon and at a push haddock. In fillets and without any of those risky bones. Anything which looks as if it had once been alive is anathema (or covered in vinegar and jelly to ensure it’s tastelessness). Which is why spider crabs, langoustines/DBPs, scallops in the shell etc head to France and Spain.
  • Options

I am sure your last sentence will be a great comfort to scallop fishermen across the UK.

It illustrates a truth about many Leavers - they don't give a f*ck about anyone but themselves.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

There are, I think, nearly 9,500 seats up for grabs on 2/5 so the fact the Conservatives are unopposed in just over 1% of them (have you bothered counting how many Labour Councillors are guaranteed to be returned?) is hardly news.

How does this compare with 2015 would be a better guide - presumably then there were more UKIP candidates fighting Conservatives.

I doubt Labour and the LDs have ever been able to put up full slates for the English rural elections - describing it as "piss poor" seems rather mean-spirited and petty.

This might on the other hand be a good election to be an Independent (they won 500 seats last time). I'll be keeping an eye on Tandridge where the Independents might make more gains from the Conservatives while in Guildford a new independent group is contesting a number of the seats.

http://r4gv.org.uk/

"Piss poor" is a bit unfair, but the Conservatives generally put up full slates even in hopeless areas. I expect that independents will do quite well.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Point of information. There's a pub near us that does proper steak and kidney (and other) pies, with a top, sides and a bottom. And proper, quite thick, gravy. And vegetables.
    Excellent.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Point of information. There's a pub near us that does proper steak and kidney (and other) pies, with a top, sides and a bottom. And proper, quite thick, gravy. And vegetables.
    Excellent.
    Not a lot of information in 'near us', just saying.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

I am sure your last sentence will be a great comfort to scallop fishermen across the UK.

It illustrates a truth about many Leavers - they don't give a f*ck about anyone but themselves.
    It was said in jest.

I’m no seafood-export expert.

However, I would imagine we will find a way to trade these goods, similar to how we managed before we were part of a single market/customs union.

It is not beyond the wit of either party who wish to trade together.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Did they?

Well, for starters we know that he was over-promising on the basis that he intended to resign on a "Yes" result, and would therefore have no influence on what the Government did.
    With hindsight yes. But people voted based on the information they had
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, I'm on this one. Also laid UKIP at 14s to win £20 on Betfair yesterday.
    Nice one. Easy score.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

Did they?

But this is a major constitutional change. The original acceptance of the Referendum was IIRC on the basis that it was merely advisory. And then the Prime Minister of the day arrogantly upgrades it, off his own bat, to be a prescriptive referendum?

The only reason why the Referendum could not be overturned on the basis of the corrupt and illegal behaviour on the part of the Leave Campaign, according to the Electoral Commission, was because it was merely advisory. Obviously, Mr Cameron forgot to inform them of its change of status.
    No. Legally it is advisory. Politically it is hard to ignore the result especially given what the PM at the time said
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

dots said:

dots said:

Very interesting insight. It's what you would rather hope would be going on, but the noise of Remainer Doomsters rather drowns it out.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

It was said in jest.

I’m no seafood-export expert.

However, I would imagine we will find a way to trade these goods, similar to how we managed before we were part of a single market/customs union.

It is not beyond the wit of either party who wish to trade together.
    No doubt in 5 or 10 years we will have recovered to a poor imitition of our current trading access... at a cost of being an unrepresented rule-taker and fee-payer.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

They do. Popping in and out of the lobbies (mainly to lobby ministers) is common practice
  • Options
    matt said:

The last point - British will, it appears only eat cod, farmed salmon and at a push haddock. In fillets and without any of those risky bones. Anything which looks as if it had once been alive is anathema (or covered in vinegar and jelly to ensure it’s tastelessness). Which is why spider crabs, langoustines/DBPs, scallops in the shell etc head to France and Spain.
    Haddock is the default fish in northern chippies. Very nice too. But I think mostly frozen at sea from Icelandic, Norwegian, Russian, German boats.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Excellent.
    The Bell, Feering village, about 10 miles S of Colchester on the A12. No, I don't get commission. We're lucky round here; several good owner-run eateries.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Even in this part of Wales i’d see Plaid as a more natural remainer protest than the LDs, no?
  • Options
    How many wrecking amendments has the HoL Speaker allowed? (And why ffs?)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Excellent.
    Apparently pies have a top, sides AND a bottom though.
  • Options
    Could imply that May is expecting to reach agreement with Corbyn I guess?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,020
    DavidL said:

In the 1980s and 1990s, the late Julian May wrote a series of eight books: the four Pliocene Exile books, the standalone vinculum 'Intervention', and the three novels of the Galactic Milieu trilogy.

In them, she describe a world where alien races have come to Earth whilst we were on the brink of nuclear war and offered us the stars. Since then, mankind has moved out from Earth to planets around the Galaxy: the large nations have many worlds, the smaller a few, and the smallest share some. Vast liners travel the ether between worlds, and mankind is flourishing.

Yet there are discontents. Humans - often powerful and influential ones - who rail against the aliens with whom we share control. We once controlled the world, but we are now a small piece of a gigantic Galactic cog. We should be in charge.

So these discontents start a rebellion that destroys worlds and kills billions. It is a pointless rebellion: one where they shake their fists at the very beings who have treated us well.

And it ends with Humanity chastened and still part of the Milieu. Little has changed, for the course was inevitable, and changing it would destroy everything.

And that is now what might happen to Brexit. We in the UK have a history that is littered with glory, and it is easy to sit back and want those glories to return. Britannia ruled the waves, and we ruled the world. But that world has changed: first came America, and then other countries overtook us. We are a small country: proud and brilliant, but small - in a world where size matters.

In such a world, is the EU an inevitability?

So we have a choice: to join up with other small countries (and smaller ones) to form a bloc that has more power together, or to be small and alone. It seems that the former might be inevitable. If so, perhaps the wettest of wet dreams of hardcore Europhiles are correct and, like Humanity after the rebellion, we will eventually become leaders of the group.

If so, then Brexit may be, like the rebellion in the books, a felix culpa - a blessed fall.

Uncle Rogi is perhaps my favourite literary character: he is just so well-written: a catalyst-observer of events.

I have the books on paper, on Kindle and some as audio books. The first of the earlier books is brilliant. The third and fourth books, less so. May certainly didn't mind killing off her babies, and that was a problem for me: she killed off my favourite Team Greenies too early.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

dots said:

If I were you I would take comfort in the knowledge that the EU is not the sort of organisation which would allow bureaucratic niceties to put lives at risk should the worst happen.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Excellent.
    Fair point. Just one side if it's a round pie though?
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Excellent.
    I mentioned the bottom. Gravy soaked and tasty.
  • Options

Even in this part of Wales i’d see Plaid as a more natural remainer protest than the LDs, no?
    You could well be right. They were almost level pegging at the GE. Think they're bigger than 8's too so I wouldn't put you off backing them. If they split the remainers might let skippers thru. Hopefully not.
  • Options

Fair cop. I was thinking of the other ones. The reprehensible Bigham has a finger in quite a few and that problem I describe always manifests.

There is an obvious and brutal next question, a killer really, so I will pose it myself in order to limit the damage.

If I hate 'CB' pies so much how come I keep buying them?
This discussion has been closed.