Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB’s man in Wales, Harry Hayfield, on today’s Newport West by-

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    edited April 2019

kinabalu said:

It's called a shepherd's hut apparently. The closest it's ever got to a shepherd is the half tray of last night's Charlie Bigham's shepherd's pie that Dave smuggled in to scoff while staring into space and not writing his autobiography.

Those Charlie Bigham pies are an absolute disgrace. The top is not properly attached to the main body of the pastry, it slides off and leaves you with something extremely ill defined to deal with.

Had not struck me before but in that very real sense, a Charlie Bigham pie is like Brexit. Expensive too. And arguably mis-sold with the 'pie' description. The similarities go on and on, come to think of it.
    Point of order: There's no pastry on a shepherd's pie.
    Point of information. There's a pub near us that does proper steak and kidney (and other) pies, with a top, sides and a bottom. And proper, quite thick, gravy. And vegetables.
    Excellent.
    Not a lot of information in 'near us', just saying.
    The Bell, Feering village, about 10 miles S of Colchester on the A12. No, I don't get commission. We're lucky round here; several good owner-run eateries.
    Ah - a bit of a long way from Dorset. Still we have some pretty good food pubs around here too; unfortunately my unending battle to keep my BMI in (or at least very closes to!) the healthy range precludes frequent visits. :disappointed:
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

I imagine that there will be about 180 in the end, with hundreds more not facing major party opposition. Granted, these are rural wards, but it's still a piss poor effort from Labour and Lib Dems.

There are, I think, nearly 9,500 seats up for grabs on 2/5 so the fact the Conservatives are unopposed in just over 1% of them (have you bothered counting how many Labour Councillors are guaranteed to be returned?) is hardly news.

How does this compare with 2015 would be a better guide - presumably then there were more UKIP candidates fighting Conservatives.

I doubt Labour and the LDs have ever been able to put up full slates for the English rural elections - describing it as "piss poor" seems rather mean-spirited and petty.

This might on the other hand be a good election to be an Independent (they won 500 seats last time). I'll be keeping an eye on Tandridge where the Independents might make more gains from the Conservatives while in Guildford a new independent group is contesting a number of the seats.

http://r4gv.org.uk/

"Piss poor" is a bit unfair, but the Conservatives generally put up full slates even in hopeless areas. I expect that independents will do quite well.
    Mixed bag of nominations in Wealden:

http://www.wealden.gov.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.aspx?lID=26461&sID=610

I'm a bit surprised to see that the LibDems are not fielding candidates in quite a lot of the wards - they used to be quite strong here.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

It's called a shepherd's hut apparently. The closest it's ever got to a shepherd is the half tray of last night's Charlie Bigham's shepherd's pie that Dave smuggled in to scoff while staring into space and not writing his autobiography.

Those Charlie Bigham pies are an absolute disgrace. The top is not properly attached to the main body of the pastry, it slides off and leaves you with something extremely ill defined to deal with.

Had not struck me before but in that very real sense, a Charlie Bigham pie is like Brexit. Expensive too. And arguably mis-sold with the 'pie' description. The similarities go on and on, come to think of it.
    Point of information. There's a pub near us that does proper steak and kidney (and other) pies, with a top, sides and a bottom. And proper, quite thick, gravy. And vegetables.
    Excellent.
    Apparently pies have a top, sides AND a bottom though.
    Fair point. Just one side if it's a round pie though?
    Inside and outside...
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    edited April 2019

The problem with a WTO exit is not only logistical but regulatory for medical supplies. Under WTO the UK Government can only accept all international drugs approved locally or no drugs. The problem is that India manufactures a wide range of drugs you would not want to take but the UK cannot stop being supplied to the UK if you want to take drugs from Europe. It is the same issue with chlorine chicken but on a larger scale.

Until the UK sets up its own regulatory system and then negotiates agreements with the rest of the world the country will become the only truly free market in the world where anyone can effectively sell anything. This may be Ok with bananas but is dangerous in the medical field.

• Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    felix said:

dots said:

No Deal brexit is certain. In touch of Dr Strangelove, learn to love it. And all the good it will do.

Newsnight reported last night that various medicines, including anti-seizure medicines, were proving incapable of being stockpiled for a no-deal Brexit. If I have to start dealing with my partner having seizures because some geniuses have decided that it's for the greater good, forgive me if I don't learn to love it. Or them.
    If I were you I would take comfort in the knowledge that the EU is not the sort of organisation which would allow bureaucratic niceties to put lives at risk should the worst happen.
    The Newsnight report was very clear that is is production capacity constraints that mean that the current stockpile of 6 weeks could not be increased. You can use a different brand but there are subtle differences which can cause problems. To be fair to the BBC they also highlighted that these supply problems existed already and used a case study from last year where a specific brand became unavailable and the patient faced side effects when on a new brand.

The question to me is why have the EMA let this happen?
    Then the worry would be a fire or some circumstance that caused a factory to shut down for more than the 6 weeks of stock we hold. What would happen then? Would they be a dramatic shortage that meant that patients could not move to a different brand because there were just no supplies available at all.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    kinabalu said:

Fair cop. I was thinking of the other ones. The reprehensible Bigham has a finger in quite a few and that problem I describe always manifests.

There is an obvious and brutal next question, a killer really, so I will pose it myself in order to limit the damage.

If I hate 'CB' pies so much how come I keep buying them?
    Because Fray Bentos exist?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Fair cop. I was thinking of the other ones. The reprehensible Bigham has a finger in quite a few and that problem I describe always manifests.

There is an obvious and brutal next question, a killer really, so I will pose it myself in order to limit the damage.

Do those things still exist?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Either that's an outlier or the public has had enough of the shitbaggery in the Commons.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

kinabalu said:

Excellent.
    The Bell, Feering village, about 10 miles S of Colchester on the A12. No, I don't get commission. We're lucky round here; several good owner-run eateries.
    Ah - a bit of a long way from Dorset. Still we have some pretty good food pubs around here too; unfortunately my unending battle to keep my BMI in (or at least very closes to!) the healthy range precludes frequent visits. :disappointed:
    Haven't been to Dorset for a long while, not since my parents, who retired there, died. And yes, there were some very good eateries.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,774

Could imply that May is expecting to reach agreement with Corbyn I guess?
    I wish I could believe that. Absent her giving in on customs union and him not demanding a referendum I don’t see how that happens, and Corbyn doesn’t have the party backing for that I suspect.

I fear it is just a sign may was not serious after all and is once again stringing things out.
  • Options

The problem with a WTO exit is not only logistical but regulatory for medical supplies. Under WTO the UK Government can only accept all international drugs approved locally or no drugs. The problem is that India manufactures a wide range of drugs you would not want to take but the UK cannot stop being supplied to the UK if you want to take drugs from Europe. It is the same issue with chlorine chicken but on a larger scale.

Until the UK sets up its own regulatory system and then negotiates agreements with the rest of the world the country will become the only truly free market in the world where anyone can effectively sell anything. This may be Ok with bananas but is dangerous in the medical field.

I’m calling bullshit

Plants will need to be MHRA approved for a start. I would expect that MHRA will accept EMA plant inspections as satisfactory.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, but they are a shadow of their former selves I'm afraid. Much smaller and the filling is basically soup.
  • Options

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

‘Things’ being the right term...

I believe so
  • Options
    edited April 2019

felix said:

dots said:

No Deal brexit is certain. In touch of Dr Strangelove, learn to love it. And all the good it will do.

Newsnight reported last night that various medicines, including anti-seizure medicines, were proving incapable of being stockpiled for a no-deal Brexit. If I have to start dealing with my partner having seizures because some geniuses have decided that it's for the greater good, forgive me if I don't learn to love it. Or them.
    If I were you I would take comfort in the knowledge that the EU is not the sort of organisation which would allow bureaucratic niceties to put lives at risk should the worst happen.
    The Newsnight report was very clear that is is production capacity constraints that mean that the current stockpile of 6 weeks could not be increased. You can use a different brand but there are subtle differences which can cause problems. To be fair to the BBC they also highlighted that these supply problems existed already and used a case study from last year where a specific brand became unavailable and the patient faced side effects when on a new brand.

Then the worry would be a fire or some circumstance that caused a factory to shut down for more than the 6 weeks of stock we hold. What would happen then? Would they be a dramatic shortage that meant that patients could not move to a different brand because there were just no supplies available at all.

The EMA moving/having to move to Amsterdam was very disruptive. Both to it, and I understand, to our own MHRA.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited April 2019
    Charles said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

I believe so
    Birthplace of Arsenal’s Lucas Torreira I believe
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:
    Either that's an outlier or the public has had enough of the shitbaggery in the Commons.
    It's not quite like for like.

The earlier polls were how would you vote in a referendum, if given a choice between Remain and No Deal?
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

I believe so
    In a pie?
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

I believe so
    In a pie?
    His mum had one in the oven... in Fray Bentos!
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    kle4 said:

Could imply that May is expecting to reach agreement with Corbyn I guess?
    I wish I could believe that. Absent her giving in on customs union and him not demanding a referendum I don’t see how that happens, and Corbyn doesn’t have the party backing for that I suspect.

I fear it is just a sign may was not serious after all and is once again stringing things out.
    Long extension nailed on I think. Unless the EU cuts up rough, but that's unlikely. They've got the UK pretty much where they want it. A supplicant, unable to find a way out of a mess of its own creation.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

dots said:

My point remains that I'd expect that 2 civilised entities [UK & EU] would if needed relax the 'rules' to deal with these situations. If they could or would not I'd utterly condemn both of them.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

I'm a bit surprised to see that the LibDems are not fielding candidates in quite a lot of the wards - they used to be quite strong here.

I've never made any secret of the fact the Party I joined in 1981 which became the Alliance and later the Liberal Democrats perished in the fires of the Coalition and the 2015 GE. I believe three quarters of the Party's current membership joined since 2015.

At local level successive years of losses wiped out many branches and even constituency parties as activists left and weren't replaced.

Since 2015 the Party has made recoveries in areas of traditional strength (though not all) and I'd expect that to be reflected on 2/5. Branches have re-activated, activity has re-started and I think there will be advances in those islands of strength.

However, they are islands and are surrounded by oceans of inactivity - even in the mid 90s when the party had over 4,000 Councillors there were still too many barren areas where little or nothing happened. Unlike the Conservative and Labour parties who enjoy areas of traditional strength and support, the LDs need people to make things happen.

Too many areas have not recovered from the Coalition and therefore don't or can't field the candidates they might have done in the 90s and 00s.That will limit the scope of gains in May but will I think provide fertile ground for Independents who in the current climate could well have a very good evening.

I am seeing more and more well-organised well-financed independent groups emerging and this could be a new political model for the years to come.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    No deal critics have no faith that any wrinkles couldn't be ironed out in a few days, weeks.

As the yougov poll shows - the public are ready to lance the boil - a few days of pain is worth it to get this crap done.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I've never made any secret of the fact the Party I joined in 1981 which became the Alliance and later the Liberal Democrats perished in the fires of the Coalition and the 2015 GE. I believe three quarters of the Party's current membership joined since 2015.

At local level successive years of losses wiped out many branches and even constituency parties as activists left and weren't replaced.

Since 2015 the Party has made recoveries in areas of traditional strength (though not all) and I'd expect that to be reflected on 2/5. Branches have re-activated, activity has re-started and I think there will be advances in those islands of strength.

However, they are islands and are surrounded by oceans of inactivity - even in the mid 90s when the party had over 4,000 Councillors there were still too many barren areas where little or nothing happened. Unlike the Conservative and Labour parties who enjoy areas of traditional strength and support, the LDs need people to make things happen.

Too many areas have not recovered from the Coalition and therefore don't or can't field the candidates they might have done in the 90s and 00s.That will limit the scope of gains in May but will I think provide fertile ground for Independents who in the current climate could well have a very good evening.

I am seeing more and more well-organised well-financed independent groups emerging and this could be a new political model for the years to come.
    What do you make of the new SDP? They seem to be Blue Labour to me
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Endillion said:
    Maybe not sure breaking for no deal as the anti establishment position - anger with mps translating to hardening position
  • Options
    stodge said:

I do see the Lib Dems have a full slate in Chesterfield, where Labour candidates have frequently been returned unopposed in the past.
  • Options
    isam said:

stodge said:

Owenites. Blue labour as he always was
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Question for our constitutional experts. I believe the Commons voted [by Bercow's casting vote] against allowing Cooper/Boles to take control of the agenda on Monday. If the Lords amends the Cooper bill that snuck through yesterday, do Cooper/Boles have control over the timetable to deal with any 'ping pong' with the Lords? Or can the government just let the bill die?
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

I believe so
    In a pie?
    My Dad was popped in the aga to keep him warm after he was born
  • Options

Question for our constitutional experts. I believe the Commons voted [by Bercow's casting vote] against allowing Cooper/Boles to take control of the agenda on Monday. If the Lords amends the Cooper bill that snuck through yesterday, do Cooper/Boles have control over the timetable to deal with any 'ping pong' with the Lords? Or can the government just let the bill die?

Aiui its passed the commons and if its unamended by the Lords it's done and on the book
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

No deal critics have no faith that any wrinkles couldn't be ironed out in a few days, weeks.

As the yougov poll shows - the public are ready to lance the boil - a few days of pain is worth it to get this crap done.

Like ripping off a bandage.

The no deal opponents are spouting the same old 'boy who cried wolf' crap we've heard for years now about the dangers if we were to leave the EU/have a referendum/rule out the Euro/not be founder members of the Euro/leave the ERM etc . . . every time its "ah but this time there really is a wolf".
  • Options

isam said:

stodge said:

https://twitter.com/consumers4b/status/1113785223135813635?s=21
  • Options
    Endillion said:
    Now that must worry those wanting a referendum.
  • Options

Aiui its passed the commons and if its unamended by the Lords it's done and on the book
    Yes that's my understanding too, so given the Lords has a major Remainer majority I believe it will probably go through unamended.

But if its amended though, what then?
  • Options
    Oh yes it is!
    Endillion said:
  • Options

Endillion said:
    Maybe not sure breaking for no deal as the anti establishment position - anger with mps translating to hardening position
    The relief that would sweep the nation if we left next week would be palpable.

Some scare stories would follow but would diminish as both sides ironed out wrinkles.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Inclined to agree. I've posted before that as a former LD I feel ashamed of some of the things the Coalition did, notably in Health, Legal Aid and Education.
    I can get over actions being forced of Governments, but what was done to legal Aid and in Welfare is, to me, unforgivable.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Endillion said:
    The relief that would sweep the nation if we left next week would be palpable.

Some scare stories would follow but would diminish as both sides ironed out wrinkles.
    The panic will be in Dublin and Brussels more than Birmingham or Boston.
  • Options

Yes that's my understanding too, so given the Lords has a major Remainer majority I believe it will probably go through unamended.

Then it is in the hands of government again and csn be delayed beyond the critical date
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

Endillion said:
    But there isn't ever going to be a referendum offering no deal.
  • Options

Then it is in the hands of government again and csn be delayed beyond the critical date
    So even one amendment will be viewed as a wrecking amendment - even if it is a good amendment.

Not a smart way to pass laws.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

stodge said:

https://twitter.com/consumers4b/status/1113785223135813635?s=21
    Finally making a comeback after continuity SDP finished behind the loonies in Bootle
    Might be a marginal force
  • Options
    Charles said:

I’m calling bullshit

Plants will need to be MHRA approved for a start. I would expect that MHRA will accept EMA plant inspections as satisfactory.
    I understand from a pharmacist friend that lots of drugs used in the UK are supplied by sea from India already
  • Options

So even one amendment will be viewed as a wrecking amendment - even if it is a good amendment.

Nothing about it has been smart
  • Options

Yes, given the balance of the Lords the only amendments likely to carry are drafting ones that the Commons will be able to nod through.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

If I were having a bet on the Newport West by-election it would be LibDems to take 3rd place at 8/1. Needs them to garner remainer votes at a slightly higher rate than UKIP pull in leavers. I think they can do that. Remainers seem much more politically active right now. And UKIP have Neil Hamilton.

Even in this part of Wales i’d see Plaid as a more natural remainer protest than the LDs, no?
    You could well be right. They were almost level pegging at the GE. Think they're bigger than 8's too so I wouldn't put you off backing them. If they split the remainers might let skippers thru. Hopefully not.
    Apologies, plaid are 3/1 3rd favs behind UKIP and Con.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    https://www.economist.com/britain/2019/04/06/the-radicalisation-of-remainers

“The radicalisation of Remainers
    Europhiles may shape British politics for years to come”
  • Options

Endillion said:
    I don't want a referendum, and it's worrying me.

What's worse: Revoke in a situation where the public overwhelmingly wants No Deal, or actual No Deal? Short run, certainly the latter. Long run: no clue.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Endillion said:
    Not really since they have no intention of putting No Deal on the ballot paper.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128

TGOHF said:

The no deal opponents are spouting the same old 'boy who cried wolf' crap we've heard for years now about the dangers if we were to leave the EU/have a referendum/rule out the Euro/not be founder members of the Euro/leave the ERM etc . . . every time its "ah but this time there really is a wolf".
    If only there were a way in which the people saying there's nothing to be worried about could take all the consequences on themselves, and leave the rest of us immune.

But of course there isn't.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes, given the balance of the Lords the only amendments likely to carry are drafting ones that the Commons will be able to nod through.
    The irony is that there are some genuine holes in this bill which the Lords ought to fix. Instead they are wasting time on filibustering and procedural nonsense.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    RobD said:
    If only the public were negotiating with the EU......
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    kle4 said:

I have little hope for a joint May/Corbyn position. I just cannot see it.

In fact, my personal mood (for want of a better word) on Brexit is changing. Up to the last couple of days I have seen all of this as a boon. A fascinating puzzle to be grappled with, a great betting opportunity, a compelling drama to be followed, but with the cosy underlying assumption that, ultimately, and no doubt at the very last gasp, we would ratify the Withdrawal Agreement, leave into transition, and then proceed to negotiate a pragmatic trade deal over the next few years.

Not so sure of that now. Things are starting to look quite bleak and it is not clear where a non-traumatic resolution of this crisis is going to come from. So all of a sudden I'm not enjoying it so much. I've gone a bit Yvette Cooper. I'm worried.
  • Options
    Faisal reporting the Lords delaying may have worked and bill could go into Monday but still make it for royal assent by cob
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

TGOHF said:

So how many deaths do you think are acceptable in pursuit of your mad obsession?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

I have little hope for a joint May/Corbyn position. I just cannot see it.

In fact, my personal mood (for want of a better word) on Brexit is changing. Up to the last couple of days I have seen all of this as a boon. A fascinating puzzle to be grappled with, a great betting opportunity, a compelling drama to be followed, but with the cosy underlying assumption that, ultimately, and no doubt at the very last gasp, we would ratify the Withdrawal Agreement, leave into transition, and then proceed to negotiate a pragmatic trade deal over the next few years.

Not so sure of that now. Things are starting to look quite bleak and it is not clear where a non-traumatic resolution of this crisis is going to come from. So all of a sudden I'm not enjoying it so much. I've gone a bit Yvette Cooper. I'm worried.
    I have not enjoyed this from day 1
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

RobD said:
    Looks like an emotional response, it would change pretty quickly if it happened.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The irony is that there are some genuine holes in this bill which the Lords ought to fix. Instead they are wasting time on filibustering and procedural nonsense.
    Can one "waste time" on filibustering?
  • Options

It's now up to 115 Conservatives unopposed or guaranteed, 8 Lib Dems, 1 Labour (in of all places, Blaby).
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The Rt Hon member for Stone thought there were big holes in it too.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, if it's not successful!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

The Rt Hon member for Stone thought there were big holes in it too.
    I think we can safely conclude that he is biased.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

I believe so
    In a pie?
    Uruguay
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's now up to 115 Conservatives unopposed or guaranteed, 8 Lib Dems, 1 Labour (in of all places, Blaby).

To some extent depends on the efficiency or otherwise of the party's staff (often well-meaning volunteers) on the ground.
  • Options

Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, if it's not successful!
    Fair point :)
  • Options
    edited April 2019

It's only going to be used once, then be of no further relevance. The only problem arises if it doesn't work.

Anyhow, it's already done the trick - government knows that despite the narrow majority, it has sympathy from a considerable number who were whipped against on its own side, including a fair few in cabinet. Everyone on the UK side today is talking as if no deal is as good as off the agenda. Thankfully.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

To some extent depends on the efficiency or otherwise of the party's staff (often well-meaning volunteers) on the ground.
    I felt for the Lib Dems in 2002 in Harrow. The local returning officer barred them from standing in 54 out of 60 seats, several of which they were defending, because they were described as Liberal Democrat Focus Team.

They had left it till a couple of hours before close of nominations to file the papers.
  • Options

Doesn’t it need royal assent? I know that’s a formality but how frequently does it happen? I thought bills were batched together
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:
    Well yeah, but 25 is still enough to kill the prospects of a referendum passing stone-dead.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

Inclined to agree. I've posted before that as a former LD I feel ashamed of some of the things the Coalition did, notably in Health, Legal Aid and Education.
    I can get over actions being forced of Governments, but what was done to legal Aid and in Welfare is, to me, unforgivable.

Without wishing to rake over the coals too much on this, we did a "deal with the Devil" (as we would have done had we sided with Labour) and our spoon wasn't long enough.

Put it another way, in order to get some of the things through which would never have got through otherwise, we were forced to acquiesce to Conservative legislation that we would under other circumstances have strongly opposed.

I've spent too long wondering what else we could and should have done in 2010 - there are plenty of answers with the gift of hindsight but, at the time, with huge pressure because of events in Europe, there seemed no other choice than to work with the Conservatives who were by some way the leading party.

Anecdotally, Hague thought he had killed us off on the Monday after the GE - he was right. I think we agreed to too much too quickly under pressure - the world wouldn't have ended if we had not had a Government for 10-14 days - I mean it's not as thought we have a functioning Government now and life seems to be going on perfectly normally.
  • Options
    Charles said:

:-)

Delicious. Much cheaper too. Furthermore, a real sense of achievement if you can open the tin without injuring a finger.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:
    Well yeah, but 25 is still enough to kill the prospects of a referendum passing stone-dead.
    Plus abstentions, and former Labour MP's turned independent.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I hope you're right it is only a few days. I think the fact no deal may happen despite, officially, so many MPs being against it, does not bode well for thinking that even if things can be ironed out so quickly that they will be.
  • Options

Charles said:

I’m calling bullshit

I understand from a pharmacist friend that lots of drugs used in the UK are supplied by sea from India already
    Yes they are, but they can only be manufactured in plants that have been inspected and approved by the EMA.

So it’s not the free for all that @hamiltonace suggested
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:
    I'm more concerned about if that is killed whether anything can be made live in its absence.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

So how many deaths do you think are acceptable in pursuit of your mad obsession?
    How much taxpayers money should be spent converting manual railway crossings to automatic ones?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

RobD said:
    Looks like an emotional response, it would change pretty quickly if it happened.
    A further indication of the weaknesses of our educational system if it is accurate.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Doesn’t it need royal assent? I know that’s a formality but how frequently does it happen? I thought bills were batched together
    It does but they say thatz in the bag if it comes back on Monday
  • Options
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

How much taxpayers money should be spent converting manual railway crossings to automatic ones?
    Let's start with not taking new steps to put people in harm's way and then we can move onto questions of taking people out of harm's way.

The exuberance with which your fellow Leavers are willing to play ducks and drakes with peoples' lives and health is depraved.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:
    Not if May makes it Government policy.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Put it another way, in order to get some of the things through which would never have got through otherwise, we were forced to acquiesce to Conservative legislation that we would under other circumstances have strongly opposed.

But that was your USP! The New Politics, Parties Working Together etc etc. As I said repeatedly at the time, I've never understood why the LibDems spent the whole five years looking so glum, rather than celebrating the fact of coalition (with all its compromises) which was what they'd been advocating for decades. No wonder voters decided to stay away in droves next time round.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    It is a curious mish mash of poses they've gone for. Huq is conveying 'What the hell am i doing here?' perfectly, while May looks like she is trying to smile politely but not really pulling it off.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:
    I'm more concerned about if that is killed whether anything can be made live in its absence.
    You can definitely add Kate Hoey to that list, also

Stringer, Mann, Jarvis and a whole sprinkling of Ex Lab independents (Not the Tiggers, the other splitters)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    stodge said:

Without wishing to rake over the coals too much on this, we did a "deal with the Devil" (as we would have done had we sided with Labour) and our spoon wasn't long enough.

I've spent too long wondering what else we could and should have done in 2010 - there are plenty of answers with the gift of hindsight but, at the time, with huge pressure because of events in Europe, there seemed no other choice than to work with the Conservatives who were by some way the leading party.

Anecdotally, Hague thought he had killed us off on the Monday after the GE - he was right. I think we agreed to too much too quickly under pressure - the world wouldn't have ended if we had not had a Government for 10-14 days - I mean it's not as thought we have a functioning Government now and life seems to be going on perfectly normally.
    Lib Dems should have given the Tories confidence & supply after 2010. Not taken cabinet posts. It would not have made much difference to the policies that the Tories pursued but it would have made it much easier for the Lib Dems to distance themselves when necessary. As the DUP have shown since 2017.

I'm afraid that this was largely down to the personal vanity of Clegg and Cable - they convinced themselves that they would be seen as saviours by a grateful nation, Clegg in particular was hopelessly naive in his approach and it is hard to have much sympathy - he brought his fate on himself.
  • Options

I have not enjoyed this from day 1

Perhaps because you are a Conservative. They say that the bitterest wars are civil wars.

From the Labour side, not so traumatic. But now, as I say, I'm feeling it a little.

Still think (just) that we are passing the WA and leaving by 30 June.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Let's start with not taking new steps to put people in harm's way and then we can move onto questions of taking people out of harm's way.

The exuberance with which your fellow Leavers are willing to play ducks and drakes with peoples' lives and health is depraved.
    The extent to which you Remainers are willing to play on the unfounded fears of the weak and vulnerable is sick.
  • Options

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It’s with sadness not exuberance. In a sensible world a deal would have been agreed. Too many politicians decided to grandstand in the U.K., the EU and on both sides of the argument
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    One can only imagine the furore if Remainers in the HOL were trying to wreck a Bill .

Disgraceful timewasting by a cabal of Tories in the HOL.
  • Options

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

But you are happy with the annual number of deaths from road pollution caused by Irish trucks hammering across England belching out their fumes ?

• Options
    edited April 2019
    nico67 said:

One can only imagine the furore if Remainers in the HOL were trying to wreck a Bill .

We don't have to imagine it, such a furore has happened many times when that occurs. Cracks about the House of Remain are longstanding at this point.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It’s with sadness not exuberance. In a sensible world a deal would have been agreed. Too many politicians decided to grandstand in the U.K., the EU and on both sides of the argument
    I suggest you read the comments of your fellow Leavers on this thread. There's plenty of exuberance around for the death cult.
This discussion has been closed.