Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why punters have got it right making a 2019 general election a

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,369

Mr. B2, most of us did expect an easy Remain win. Cameron's assumption was wrong but he was in the majority expecting that result.

Nevertheless he ought, as a politician, to have fought such a critical contest with everything he has. Even a ward councillor defending their seat knows you don't try and soft pedal to an election.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I see that Hannan is still seen by some as some sort of oracle. A liar and a fool. He sees himself as a Cassandra. He’s not, he’s a Siren. I guess the Telegraph will employ him for ever which is the nearest thing to purgatory.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

IanB2 said:

But it was blue on blue from the start. And it was Cameron who ordered the Remain campaign to go softly on the likes of Boris and Gove, not wanting to exacerbate his problems when Remain cruised to victory.

Yes, that was an error in retrospect. But it was a very honourable one - he wanted to be able to reunite the party and the country after the expected Remain victory.

Alas, it didn't turn out that way.
    You don't say?

One of the great ironies of history - had the Remain campaign gone for Boris's jugular, the Tory party might have been saved from the fate that awaits it.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

You can't whitewash massive strategic mistakes on the basis that it would have been a great plan if only the electorate had played along.

Nor can you use the benefit of hindsight to call it a 'massive strategic mistake'. I'm not even sure that there was any choice in the matter. Your comments make sense only if you ignore the huge opposition to our membership of the EU which had built up over decades.
    The opposition was only "huge" inside the Tory party, and instead of confronting that and recognising it as a strategic risk, Cameron's decided to placate them and thought gambling the whole country would allow him to finally shut them up. It's one of the most catastrophic foreseeable political failures in history.
    Precisely. Cameron shied away from taking on the nutters himself and tried to get the electorate to do it for him. It was an act of cowardice as well as a disastrous political misjudgment which could yet end up ruining both his country and his party.
    What utter tosh. What the hell do you think he was doing in the referendum campaign if not 'taking on the nutters himself'? He could have done with a bit of help from those, especially in Labour, who did virtually nothing or who actively obstructed the Remain campaign, but who now have the gall to criticise Cameron for not doing enough.
    He should have taken them on within the party. As Blair did with the Labour left in the 1990s. If he had done that in 2005 they would have folded quite easily.
    I must have imagined the comments about 'fruitcakes and loons' and 'not banging on about Europe', or missed some massive passage from his famous 2005 speech which clinched the leadership:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/oct/04/conservatives2005.conservatives3
    But that was just words. What action did he take against them? How many were dropped as candidates or forced out of the party? His rhetoric belied his actions, which were to come out of the EPP, and pander to Euroscepticism at every available opportunity. Every summit was presented as Cameron battling against the overmighty EU, and right up until a few weeks before the referendum he pretended to be undecided about the case for continued membership.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    What - did we lose his speechwriter as well?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Endillion, cheers.

Mr. B2, a fair criticism.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    Well if that line from "Auf Wiedershen Pet" about AV meaning everyone gets what nobody wants holds true revoke or no deal are probably favourite. :D
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:
    I’m a straightforward guy

Someone offers a different product at different prices. If you pay for one product and then take the other that’s theft. It doesn’t matter if it’s paying for an apple and walking off with an avocado or paying for a VW Polo and driving away in a Ferrari. If even paying for standard class and travelling first

You take something without paying its theft. Black and white really.

What if you pay for guacamole and walk off with mushy peas?
    Nah, you’ve paid what you think is an exceptionally cheap price for avocado and think you’ve done the seller over. You lose.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

But it was blue on blue from the start. And it was Cameron who ordered the Remain campaign to go softly on the likes of Boris and Gove, not wanting to exacerbate his problems when Remain cruised to victory.

Yes, that was an error in retrospect. But it was a very honourable one - he wanted to be able to reunite the party and the country after the expected Remain victory.

Alas, it didn't turn out that way.
    You don't say?

One of the great ironies of history - had the Remain campaign gone for Boris's jugular, the Tory party might have been saved.
    Well, there are many 'what-ifs' which could have changed the referendum result. I doubt whether that particular one was terribly important. Corbyn's (or rather Seumas Milne's) deliberate obstruction of the Labour Leave effort was almost certainly more decisive.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well if that line from "Auf Wiedershen Pet" about AV meaning everyone gets what nobody wants holds true revoke or no deal are probably favourite. :D
    The question remains whether PV could be moved as a "subject to a referendum" amendment with sufficient cross-party support that the Speaker would have to take it.

Nevertheless such an AV process would surely eliminate Revoke and No Deal first and second, or vice versa, and that Corbyn's deal might well get through at the final stage. Which then requires the PM to ask for a longer extension. How do Conservatives think that handing Corbyn such a victory is in their interests?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited April 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:
    Yes I know all that. So what is Mr Hannan's (and your) alternative. That could get through the house.
    To be honest, remaining in the EU and being shits from the inside is way better than anything involving a customs union with the organisation we just left. It’s the worst possible outcome.
    Welcome back to the fold. We will only tell you once every fifteen minutes that we told you it would likely end up like this.
    LOL. My preferences in order:

Deal with no backstop
    No Deal
    EEA/EFTA Deal
    May’s Deal
    Remain in EU
    Anything involving a customs union.

A CU is an utterly bonkers idea - it locks in all the possible negatives of leaving the EU, whilst foregoing all the positives. It’s the very definition of a vassal state, leaves the EU having every incentive to screw the U.K. over at every opportunity in the future.
    Sandpit - you're an intelligent guy. What's it about the Backstop that worries you?

1. The WA includes a provision for international arbitration regarding the commitment for implementing a technical solution, so if the EU does not follow through on its treaty commitments, we can walk away anyway.

2. The EU doesn't actually want us to be in the Backstop. Let's not forget that the backstop - as well as the Customs Union - also involves us being in the Single Market for goods (like Switzrtland), but without the free movement or fees. That's not something the EU would want to persist, because - errr... - the Swiss would soon start complaining about their deal.
    I think it’s mostly an issue of trust. If you take as the starting point that the EU’s top objectives are to prevent regulatory divergence and to protect their trade surplus, the backstop does a very good job of it. They know they can probably stretch arbitration out for years if they wish to, with the Swiss as well as the British. They probably also hope for a much more EU-friendly British government in future.

For me personally, the likes of Tusk and Junker talking about NI being the “price to pay” for leaving the EU, and high-fiving each other over their “f... the British” WA, tells me not to believe there will anything like good faith in the next part of the talks, as there hasn’t been so far either.
  • Options
    All this Brexiter nitpicking and filibustering on the Programme Motion is becoming tiring. Surely time to move on to the substance of the matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    IanB2 said:

Mr. B2, most of us did expect an easy Remain win. Cameron's assumption was wrong but he was in the majority expecting that result.

Nevertheless he ought, as a politician, to have fought such a critical contest with everything he has. Even a ward councillor defending their seat knows you don't try and soft pedal to an election.
    If the opposition’s stated policy (and more importantly, emotional touchstone) appears to want the same result, you might change your approach slightly. He didn’t anticipate the EU becoming anathema to the Labour leadership [cue Palmer giving some bollocks excuse and clearly either believing it or being a liar]
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Sandpit, trusting the EU is as damned foolish as trusting May or Corbyn.

Mentioned to my mother the other day the suggestion that Parliament should be locked and set on fire to deal with the political class. She objected, on the grounds it was quite a nice building.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Virtually all of the Uks avocados are imported from Mexico, the US and ISRAEL.

No impact from a hard brexit.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    GIN1138 said:

Seems self-defeating to pick AV. May's deal will probably be the first option dropped. Unless there's a lot of tactical voting.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

A shame for those hoping for a silver lining. Apart from destruction of the Tory party, of course.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I have to say that the resignation count is lower today than I had been expecting.
  • Options

Mentioned to my mother the other day the suggestion that Parliament should be locked and set on fire to deal with the political class. She objected, on the grounds it was quite a nice building.

From the outside.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,981

I have to say that the resignation count is lower today than I had been expecting.

Why resign now when you can get a big Sunday Telegraph splash ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Interesting that the two resignations so far are not from the ERG wing of the Tory Party.

They both seem to be very much "middle of the road" Tories?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771

Ah, The Belarussian partisan control procedure!

Not sure that is really appropriate.
  • Options
    How many unfilled ministerial posts are we at & can they even be filled now ?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Might as well wait to see if it all goes tits-up between May & Corbyn first.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Does anyone buy the Sunday Telegraph any longer - what is its circulation? In my local Waitrose, if one goes in at 1540 on Sunday generally all that’s left in the free newspaper section is the ST and the Observer. Certainly, I don’t pick it up even if it’s at no additional cost.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301
    TGOHF said:

Has the trade agreement we had with Mexico via the EU been rolled over yet? It hadn't a few weeks ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/13/brexit-uk-trade-deals-eu
  • Options

So far nothing has been agreed with Corbyn, so it's still a bit early to draw any conclusions on that.
  • Options
    matt said:

Pulpstar said:

Does anyone buy the Sunday Telegraph any longer - what is its circulation? In my local Waitrose, if one goes in at 1540 on Sunday generally all that’s left in the free newspaper section is the ST and the Observer. Certainly, I don’t pick it up even if it’s at no additional cost.
    Well I don't buy it, but the Tory party seems to love it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Couldnt you hide your Sausage in one of their straight Bananas
  • Options

Junckers has just said there will be no extension unless the WDA is passed by monday

If so no deal is still very much in play but revoke must be increasingly possible as well
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Interesting that the two resignations so far are not from the ERG wing of the Tory Party.

Well there aren't any full far ERGers in government to resign from it
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    TGOHF said:

Two point of order:

The UK drops out of the existing Euromed agreement with Israel in the event of a Hard Brexit. There is a replacement deal (Dr Fox's first success!), but the agriculture part of the agreement has not been fully fleshed out yet.

The Uk also drops out of the EU-Mexico FTA.

Hopefully the Israel deal will get finalised in the next ten days, but Mexico looks pretty unlikely.

So unless we unliaterally remove tariffs on avocado imports, yes hard Brexit will have an impact on supply.
  • Options

Agreed. It has taken a day or two before but theres not much time yet and given how divided the leaders from cabinet said they were I'll be surprised if no big beasts go. Have they really all been beaten down by it all, or woken up to the fact the numbers require this?
  • Options

So far nothing has been agreed with Corbyn, so it's still a bit early to draw any conclusions on that.
    Surely the prospect of "binding" indicative votes for all the MPs on Monday is sufficiently attractive to ensure that an agreement between two party leaders today is made almost impossible?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,558
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Heaton-Harris is a former Chairman of the ERG!

Edit - He was Chairman between 2010-16.

Middle of the road my arse.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What would be the point? Theres a new leader coming soon anyway.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    She has had the biggest upheaval to the British political orthodoxy since I don't know when to deal with I suppose
  • Options
    Do the Brexiters really believe they are going to achieve anything by talking the Programme Motion through to 5pm, rather than moving on to the substance?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,759
    edited April 2019
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

What would be the point? Theres a new leader coming soon anyway.
    I'ts saving the exchequer some money I guess :smile:

Edit: There's no icon for :simile: apparently. Disappointing
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    God this is sinister. For how much longer will the original referendum result even stand?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/grassroots-facebook-brexit-ads-secretly-run-by-staff-of-lynton-crosby-firm
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    So another nutjob resigns . How will we cope !
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Middle of the far right lane.....
  • Options

Junckers has just said there will be no extension unless the WDA is passed by monday

If so no deal is still very much in play but revoke must be increasingly possible as well
    I think the EU sees the Withdrawal agreement as an almost apolitical document. It really doesn't specify anything other than the fact there'll be a transition and a backstop, which is absolubtely de minimus for leaving the European Union. The political bit is surprise surprise explicitly called the "political declaration"
    The problem is that the WA itself has become massively politicised in the UK with reasons varying from wanting to boot the Tories out, playing to constituency concerns and not wanting to actually leave. The EU simply doesn't see it this way, the only political bit is the backstop and they aren't budging on it - all the other concerns are mince to them.
  • Options
    How many bag carriers can we add onto that ?
  • Options
    Corbyn's rate of shadow ministerial resignations must also be impressive.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,118

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

He’s the McCarthy of the ERG.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/24/universities-mccarthyism-mp-demands-list-brexit-chris-heaton-harris
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Surely the prospect of "binding" indicative votes for all the MPs on Monday is sufficiently attractive to ensure that an agreement between two party leaders today is made almost impossible?
    You could well be right. I'm a bit punch-drunk from trying to evaluate the twists and turns in this saga.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    TGOHF said:

That's a shame as I hate avocados, and generally only eat the ghastly things to be polite.
  • Options
    Nearly three hours of petty procedural nitpicking from sour Brexiters. I can see why they tabled their amendment seeking to remove the restrictions on filibustering.

Now Mad Nad wades into the debate.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

They are middle of Mr Gins road.
  • Options
    glw said:

TGOHF said:

That's a shame as I hate avocados, and generally only eat the ghastly things to be polite.
    Have you perhaps made the elementary mistake of believing supermarkets who claim their avocados are ripe and ready to eat?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,905

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

He backed the Withdrawal Agreement from the outset.

The problem is that if 34 Conservatives and the DUP say No to everything, the government has to look elsewhere - and there's no common ground with TIG, Lib Dems, SNP or Plaid.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    IanB2 said:

Nearly three hours of petty procedural nitpicking from sour Brexiters. I can see why they tabled their amendment seeking to remove the restrictions on filibustering.

You missed out "nutjobs" , "loons" etc.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    IanB2 said:

I see your three hours and raise you three years
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/24/universities-mccarthyism-mp-demands-list-brexit-chris-heaton-harris
    They always try making out they are middle of the road Tories when they are not. Mike Penning tried the same rouse saying he was middle of the road on Europe when he had been the whipless Tories spokesperson in the 1990s. Middle of the road my arse!
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

According to the Guardian website he said no SHORT extension unless the WA is passed.

But I guess Labour will spin out the talks so a longer extension becomes necessary just to show May who's boss. And that will mean EP elections which could tip some Tories over the edge to support a VONC in TM.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I think he said no short extension. Long extension still possible if we do EU elections.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

TGOHF said:

Have you perhaps made the elementary mistake of believing supermarkets who claim their avocados are ripe and ready to eat?
    I can honestly say I have never eaten any avocado I liked, whether at home, with friends, family, or in a restaurant. There are very few things I dislike eating, avocado is one of the few.
  • Options

Isn't that what they said about last Friday?
  • Options

Corbyn's rate of shadow ministerial resignations must also be impressive.
    Brexit is the Viagra of British politicians; it is much favoured by aging white men who claim things worked much better in the past
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

God this is sinister. For how much longer will the original referendum result even stand?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/grassroots-facebook-brexit-ads-secretly-run-by-staff-of-lynton-crosby-firm

Received several of them myself telling me to lobby "Catherine". She is not my MP, and, even as the geekiest of geeks, I didn't recognise her as an MP of any kind.
    So their targeting ain't spot on...
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    edited April 2019
    deleted
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

They always try making out they are middle of the road Tories when they are not. Mike Penning tried the same rouse saying he was middle of the road on Europe when he had been the whipless Tories spokesperson in the 1990s. Middle of the road my arse!
    CHH is probably close to the median Conservative voter.
  • Options

According to the Guardian website he said no SHORT extension unless the WA is passed.

But I guess Labour will spin out the talks so a longer extension becomes necessary just to show May who's boss. And that will mean EP elections which could tip some Tories over the edge to support a VONC in TM.
    Maybe. Long extension looks nailed on, because it enables enough waverers to punt any decision further down the field. May is desperate for a deal to pass right now, and is clearly willing to pay a big price to do so, but there may not be enough willing to name their price for that.
  • Options
    Well that disagrees with what Sturgeon was thinking !
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Received several of them myself telling me to lobby "Catherine". She is not my MP, and, even as the geekiest of geeks, I didn't recognise her as an MP of any kind.
    It is clearly time to regulate political adverts on social media, and regulate them with serious teeth
  • Options
    Could be worse, although frankly we heard words of a not totally dissimilar nature every time the DUP sat down to confirm they were still a no.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

;)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Do the Brexiters really believe they are going to achieve anything by talking the Programme Motion through to 5pm, rather than moving on to the substance?

What happens if they do
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Based on what evidence?
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

TGOHF said:

I can honestly say I have never eaten any avocado I liked, whether at home, with friends, family, or in a restaurant. There are very few things I dislike eating, avocado is one of the few.
    Wait until the pasty transportation issue hits:

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1113430434724098050?s=19
  • Options
  • Options
    Finally the Benn amendment to the Programme Motion goes to division.

Every Conservative voter should be compelled to watch the last three hours of procedural drivel from Tory Brexiters. Few of them would ever support the party again.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

What happens if they do
    They have. Two divisions to 5.30pm and then finally MPs can debate the actual motion.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

What happens if they do
    They have. Two divisions to 5.30pm and then finally MPs can debate the actual motion.
    Thank you
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    They've agreed that neither of them wants a "people's vote", and that a General Election would be a great idea to bin 12 Tiggers from parliament.
  • Options
  • Options

dixiedean said:

It is clearly time to regulate political adverts on social media, and regulate them with serious teeth
    Social media needs to be treated as a publisher, that would soon motivate them to the truth. At the moment they have money and influence with nearly no responsibility.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Some comments from Geoffrey Cox on the BBC confirming the impression May will agree to a Customs Union in return for a "swift exit".

But did he really say "charter our own course"?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Maybe. Long extension looks nailed on, because it enables enough waverers to punt any decision further down the field. May is desperate for a deal to pass right now, and is clearly willing to pay a big price to do so, but there may not be enough willing to name their price for that.
    May was ready to ask for a long extension weeks back, until she was nobbled by her idiot colleagues. Clearly the right answer. The challenge now is coming up with a reasonable justification to secure EU agreement.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

glw said:

glw said:

TGOHF said:

How many people take food on holiday?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

matt said:

Pulpstar said:

Well I don't buy it, but the Tory party seems to love it.
    I haven’t read it in years but it used to be much superior to the daily version
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I hope there isn't an extension till April 19th.. its the next full moon.. Loons will abound...
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    kle4 said:

Could be worse, although frankly we heard words of a not totally dissimilar nature every time the DUP sat down to confirm they were still a no.
    In all fairness, the odious Duppers were born saying No.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

glw said:

glw said:

TGOHF said:

I generally take my own chef and ask them to cook from scratch.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

glw said:

glw said:

TGOHF said:

Its bound to be another straight banana story!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Of course it is. If the Commons does not, between now and next Tuesday, vote either (a) to pass the Deal or (b) find a sustainable majority for a softer form of Brexit that the EU27 would be interested in negotiating, then the only options left will then be Hard Brexit or Revocation.

Time is all but up, and there's still no sign of a Parliamentary majority for any solution.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

glw said:

glw said:

TGOHF said:

My mother once tried to smuggle two packets of biscuits into the United States, then unwisely tried to argue with the customs official when he confiscated them.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

My mother once tried to smuggle two packets of biscuits into the United States, then unwisely tried to argue with the customs official when he confiscated them.

Have they let her out yet?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    _Anazina_ said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

glw said:

glw said:

TGOHF said:

The only thing I know people do take is tea.

In the UK, Liptons doesn't even try to compete.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Based on what evidence?
    Based on the polling which suggest:-

1. 70-75% of Conservatives want to Leave the EU
    2. 60% now support May's Deal.

Pro-EU Conservatives are now untypical, but most are not fanatics like Francois and Cope.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

dixiedean said:

Good luck with that while both parties think they can win at the social media game. In any case, much influencing is done with messages rather than adverts per se -- ask the Russian troll farms! Increasingly too, messages will be amplified and even created by bots.
This discussion has been closed.