Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile what’s been happening in the local elections

Comments

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Seeing Conservative Party membership cards being cut up on Twitter. The Tories as we have known them are over. I wonder what comes next?

Boris I suspect
    Nope, May's just ensured it will be Corbyn.
    How did she do that? The party was about to split over no deal and usher in a GE and Corbyn anyway
    I'm not saying it would be easy, but the party could in theory survive a no deal split; every other option severs irreparably too large a chunk of the voters. Especially rebuffing them and preferring scheming with Corbyn instead, the optics are truly awful.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

Have people really forgotten that May has done this exact same "talks with opposition leader(s)" PR stunt twice already this year, and both times she just didn't engage with any of the suggestions those leaders made in those talks, and then after a few days went back to saying "my deal is the only way"? Why would it be any different this time?

Time has passed, more votes have been lost, May is a victim of the clock ticking down as much as anyone.
    Indeed. If May was prepared to countenance No Deal we'd have left last week.
    Yet SO and others on here have been saying all day that is what she'd do. They were wrong. She has made many mistakes but at the end of the day the deal she got was as good as Brexit gets for those who support it. More fool them for siding with Labour to vote it down. The ERG are the party traitors.
    I have said from the beginning that no PM can afford to take us to no deal. Despite her legacy already being close to rock bottom, May won't want to go down in history alongside Lord North.
    Indeed, as losing Scotland is a likely legacy of No Deal that would be equivalent to Lord North's losing America
    The phraseology of "losing" Scotland is quite revealing, as if it were a colonial possession.
    You can choose to interpret it that way but it is not a given, so it is not revealing in the slightest.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

May did promise a Red White and blue brexit
    She's waved the white flag for Corbyn to help out..
    It all seems quite civilised - and it'll be hard for either leader to denounce the other as virulently as in the past if it all works out. I note that the Chief Whip is reported as saying that Corbyn's price is likely to be a referendum, and if that happens I think most Labour people will accept a deal subject to that.
    May will ignore Corbyn and go over his head to Labour backbenchers then.

The facts will back her up, only 10 Labour MPs opposed a Customs Union but 24 Labour MPs voted against a second referendum. 37 Tory MPs voted for a Customs Union but only 15 Tory MPs voted for EUref2.

Deltapoll also has Tory voters backing her Deal plus CU 42% to 27% but Tory voters opposing EUref2 61% to 29%
    Labour party discipline has been in stark contrast to Tory over the last few weeks. Very few rebels, so why is that going to change now? I am not convinced that you have very good insight into Labour MPs thinking!
    Why? 24 Labour MPs rebelled to vote against EUref2 and given Labour whipped in favour of a Customs Union plus Deal amendment on Monday which all but 10 Labour MPs voted for the idea Corbyn could whip against a Customs Union plus Deal amendment and not see most Labour backbenchers tell him to sod off is I think absurd
    They may well just obey the whip, as they did for MV2.5 last Friday.
    Look, Foxy I know party politics comes before all else for you and having trashed hard Brexit for months as soon as May offers a compromise you have to trash that too but most Labour MPs are not braindead, even if it sometimes seems so, after all but 10 of them voted for a Customs Union or abstained when it was proposed by Tory Ken Clarke, the idea that they are all going to suddenly vote against it because Corbyn says so is absurd
    It depends what legislatiin the CU is attached to. MV may trump it.

I am an LD leaning Green btw, and have voted Tory as recently as 2010 :)
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Bojo met Murder on the way
    She wore the mask of Tessa May

Last came Anarchy: he rode
    On a white horse, splashed with blood;
    He was pale even to the lips,
    Like No Deal in the Apocalypse
    That JRM is weak and gray
    With waiting for a better day;
    See how idiot-like he stands,
    Fumbling with his palsied hands
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

GIN1138 said:

What I want to know is how does a ‘customs union’ even happen? Even if it gets written into the PD it’s not legally binding is it? So it’s still a blind brexit, at the whim of the next Tory leader regardless. Am I wrong?

Labour will be forming the government within weeks or months so they'll be negotiating the second part of Brexit.
    There’s no guarantee of that though.
    They'll be the largest party.
    Odds of 8.5 are available on JC as next PM. It appears that not everyone agrees with this analysis.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

MaxPB said:

These c*nts had 3 chances to get the deal done, they spurned every single one. Now we're fucked.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1113145267048644608
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1113148213157134336
    After May finally goes, they will presumably look to take the party over as the Corbynites did with Labour, and keep fighting.
    They're welcome to try. After Brexit happens.

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Seeing Conservative Party membership cards being cut up on Twitter. The Tories as we have known them are over. I wonder what comes next?

Boris I suspect
    How did she do that? The party was about to split over no deal and usher in a GE and Corbyn anyway
    I'm not saying it would be easy, but the party could in theory survive a no deal split; every other option severs irreparably too large a chunk of the voters. Especially rebuffing them and preferring scheming with Corbyn instead, the optics are truly awful.
    Not everyone is so sanguine about no deal. If it is truly a very bad outcome, and many think it is, then the price of avoiding it may be the Tories losing power.

Also that's not what has happened. May, terrible though she hsa been, has worked damn hard to pass something without working with Corbyn. The people most angry now stopped it from working. Heck, some of them have threatened to back Corbyn in a vote of no confidence in the government.

Assuming May is being sincere, she is finally being more statesmanlike and grown up. That Tories are angry she is (at least in appearence) trying to be less partisan, is very telling.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621

MaxPB said:

These c*nts had 3 chances to get the deal done, they spurned every single one. Now we're fucked.

If only someone had warned them of this outcome if they didn’t support the WA...

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    @Blackrook If this was a chess move, you'd instantly stick a ?! by it. In contrast to many of May's moves which have been ? ? ?? ????

• Options

MaxPB said:

After May finally goes, they will presumably look to take the party over as the Corbynites did with Labour, and keep fighting.
    Hence why an Early election need be Labour's key demand. It is the only way to save the country from the ERG.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Red Brexit

May did promise a Red White and blue brexit
    She's waved the white flag for Corbyn to help out..
    It all seems quite civilised - and it'll be hard for either leader to denounce the other as virulently as in the past if it all works out. I note that the Chief Whip is reported as saying that Corbyn's price is likely to be a referendum, and if that happens I think most Labour people will accept a deal subject to that.
    May will ignore Corbyn and go over his head to Labour backbenchers then.

The facts will back her up, only 10 Labour MPs opposed a Customs Union but 24 Labour MPs voted against a second referendum. 37 Tory MPs voted for a Customs Union but only 15 Tory MPs voted for EUref2.

Deltapoll also has Tory voters backing her Deal plus CU 42% to 27% but Tory voters opposing EUref2 61% to 29%
    Labour party discipline has been in stark contrast to Tory over the last few weeks. Very few rebels, so why is that going to change now? I am not convinced that you have very good insight into Labour MPs thinking!
    Why? 24 Labour MPs rebelled to vote against EUref2 and given Labour whipped in favour of a Customs Union plus Deal amendment on Monday which all but 10 Labour MPs voted for the idea Corbyn could whip against a Customs Union plus Deal amendment and not see most Labour backbenchers tell him to sod off is I think absurd
    They may well just obey the whip, as they did for MV2.5 last Friday.
    Look, Foxy I know party politics comes before all else for you and having trashed hard Brexit for months as soon as May offers a compromise you have to trash that too but most Labour MPs are not braindead, even if it sometimes seems so, after all but 10 of them voted for a Customs Union or abstained when it was proposed by Tory Ken Clarke, the idea that they are all going to suddenly vote against it because Corbyn says so is absurd
    It depends what legislatiin the CU is attached to. MV may trump it.

I am an LD leaning Green btw, and have voted Tory as recently as 2010 :)
    The WA is unamendable, Corbyn had better realise even if he does become PM it will still be exactly the same WA, otherwise it will be Corbyn leading us to No Deal not May if he does not back it. If he gets a CU in the PD I fail to see how he can oppose it and most Labour backbenchers would vote for it with the bonus of splitting the Tories too given most Tory MPs would vote against it
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    All they had to do was vote for it, and Brexit was theirs...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

GIN1138 said:

What I want to know is how does a ‘customs union’ even happen? Even if it gets written into the PD it’s not legally binding is it? So it’s still a blind brexit, at the whim of the next Tory leader regardless. Am I wrong?

Labour will be forming the government within weeks or months so they'll be negotiating the second part of Brexit.
    There’s no guarantee of that though.
    They'll be the largest party.
    Odds of 8.5 are available on JC as next PM. It appears that not everyone agrees with this analysis.
    Doom! 100-1.

• Options
    The best thing about a Corbyn Customs Union.

It makes the disgraced national security risk Liam Fox redundant.

#JezHasPlayedABlinder
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Boris I suspect
    Not everyone is so sanguine about no deal. If it is truly a very bad outcome, and many think it is, then the price of avoiding it may be the Tories losing power.
    Then you aren't disputing my point that in attempting to avoid no deal she is sacrificing the party...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

Have people really forgotten that May has done this exact same "talks with opposition leader(s)" PR stunt twice already this year, and both times she just didn't engage with any of the suggestions those leaders made in those talks, and then after a few days went back to saying "my deal is the only way"? Why would it be any different this time?

Time has passed, more votes have been lost, May is a victim of the clock ticking down as much as anyone.
    Yet SO and others on here have been saying all day that is what she'd do. They were wrong. She has made many mistakes but at the end of the day the deal she got was as good as Brexit gets for those who support it. More fool them for siding with Labour to vote it down. The ERG are the party traitors.
    I have said from the beginning that no PM can afford to take us to no deal. Despite her legacy already being close to rock bottom, May won't want to go down in history alongside Lord North.
    Indeed, as losing Scotland is a likely legacy of No Deal that would be equivalent to Lord North's losing America
    The phraseology of "losing" Scotland is quite revealing, as if it were a colonial possession.
    Scotland, unlike the American colonies, does have representation and taxation at both Westminster and Holyrood but it would still be lost from the Union in all likelihood with No Deal
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    Scott_P said:

All they had to do was vote for it, and Brexit was theirs...

Yup. Simples. As was pointed out to them.

• Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    isam said:

Is it quite astute of May to get Corbyn to share some of the blame? A symbiotic relationship between Tories and Labour is needed to keep both sides supporters angry enough with the other party to not vote for anyone else.

At the time of the referendum there was one UKIP voter for every one who voted Labour and FWIW UKIP were polling around 18-19%.. how will those voters feel at a cross party Brexit ft two parties who want to Remain?

This is how I read it. With No Deal now nailed on, and realising that the fallout will f*ck the Tories for a generation, she's gone to Corbyn and said 'you need some of this blood on your hands too'.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Hence why an Early election need be Labour's key demand. It is the only way to save the country from the ERG.
    Election after the WA passes, and we're out the EU would be fair.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

ITYM "losing Scotland and Northern Ireland".
    Less soon as NI has a DUP First Minister and Scotland an SNP First Minister but in any case Ireland was already lost a century ago, it would just be reuniting the Northern bits with the Republic
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I'm looking forward to the spin off comedy series where May and Corbyn end up sharing a flat.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

Is it quite astute of May to get Corbyn to share some of the blame? A symbiotic relationship between Tories and Labour is needed to keep both sides supporters angry enough with the other party to not vote for anyone else.

At the time of the referendum there was one UKIP voter for every one who voted Labour and FWIW UKIP were polling around 18-19%.. how will those voters feel at a cross party Brexit ft two parties who want to Remain?

This is how I read it. With No Deal now nailed on, and realising that the fallout will f*ck the Tories for a generation, she's gone to Corbyn and said 'you need some of this blood on your hands too'.
    If No Deal was nailed on May would have said this evening we are leaving next Friday with No Deal the Commons having rejected my Deal and offered no alternative.

Instead we are now more likely to end up with Deal plus CU after more indicative votes and then further extension to ratify and a transition period whoever ends up PM
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Do you remember One Nation Tories? I miss them*

*Disclaimer: I've never voted Tory in my life, but I could at least respect people who genuinely wanted to do their best for this country, even if I disagreed with them on policy.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Private Francois?

you might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
    All of them and they've fucked our party for 10-15 years in the process. We're done as a political force. Not only are we about to get a zombie UK brexit, we're also going to get Corbyn as PM.

I'm genuinely thinking of selling my flat before it gets expropriated by the communist left.
    What make you think Corbyn has the slightest interest in your flat.

Unless its never lived in in which case give us the keys now.
  • Options
    I don't think in their hearts May and Corbyn are a million miles apart on Brexit. They might end up agreeing something or other !
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Private Francois?

All of them and they've fucked our party for 10-15 years in the process. We're done as a political force. Not only are we about to get a zombie UK brexit, we're also going to get Corbyn as PM.

I'm genuinely thinking of selling my flat before it gets expropriated by the communist left.

It's got two empty bedrooms. Commissar Corbyn will want to put random unemployed people in there.
  • Options

I'm looking forward to the spin off comedy series where May and Corbyn end up sharing a flat.

T AND J
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

If the ERG had the collective spine they claim to have, wouldn't it be they who VONC the government?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Pulpstar said:

I don't think in their hearts May and Corbyn are a million miles apart on Brexit. They might end up agreeing something or other !

Pretty close to the mark I would say
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Shes a remainer trying to leave
    Hes a leaver trying to remain
    Together they are TezzleJezzle 'politics begins at home'
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Pulpstar said:

@Blackrook If this was a chess move, you'd instantly stick a ?! by it. In contrast to many of May's moves which have been ? ? ?? ????

If this were a game of chess she's have done the polite thing and resigned about 50 moves ago.
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Nah, it's far too late for that. We're going to get the hard right and the hard left - it's just a matter of which follows which, and whether either will get a decisive majority for their madness at future elections.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

Scotland, unlike the American colonies, does have representation and taxation at both Westminster and Holyrood but it would still be lost from the Union in all likelihood with No Deal
    I bet someone has talked of the EU losing Britain too.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Do you think Corbyn's position is sincere? Surely his CU thing has been his excuse for voting against the WA. I can't see anything changing.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    I'm registered to vote in Twickenham but am spending most of my time in West Dorset, a second home. Are there any ramifications if I register to vote in West Dorset with the intention of voting here in any GE?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

*Disclaimer: I've never voted Tory in my life, but I could at least respect people who genuinely wanted to do their best for this country, even if I disagreed with them on policy.
    We're still around.

We're like the Jedi at the end of Revenge of the Sith though.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    The Conservative party has expired tonight, never to be revived
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

If No Deal was nailed on May would have said this evening we are leaving next Friday with No Deal the Commons having rejected my Deal and offered no alternative.

Instead we are now more likely to end up with Deal plus CU after more indicative votes and then further extension to ratify and a transition period whoever ends up PM
    But that's the one thing she *couldn't* say. The HoC made sure she couldn't choose announce No Deal. She just needs to be seen to be floundering around trying increasingly desperate attempts to try to *prevent* No Deal even though it drifts ever closer...
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    It's quite incredible how the ERG and their outliers are acting.

'We want X'
    'There's no majority for X, something else will be passed. How about Y?'
    'We want X'
    'I get it. But if you don't vote for Y you may get Z, which is even worse'
    'We want X'
    'Well it is too late now, we're getting Z'
    'How dare you not give us X?'

They've hung themselves out to dry and are now complaining they've been hung out to dry.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Private Francois?

It's got two empty bedrooms. Commissar Corbyn will want to put random unemployed people in there.
    Bedroom Tax!!

But seriously do you really believe what your typing
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

True but Juncker does not see himself as Lord North, he is probably not sober enough to think about it too much anyway
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Posts: 26
    If Labour help the Tories pass the WA (which includes the backstop) won't the DUP just VoNC the government?
  • Options
    Well I'm not in favour of legislation being rushed through, but I am happy at the thought the Commons will attempt to sort it out with votes this week. There is no need to wait.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

If the ERG had the collective spine they claim to have, wouldn't it be they who VONC the government?
    VONC needs to come from LOTO, under the fixed term parliament act, I thought.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

isam said:

Has the PM really received word that the EuCo would refuse any extension, and accordingly offered the LOTO an olive branch of talks, in order that all three share any no-deal flak?

That would be a gross misuse of intel, a horrible inversion of the party/country hierarchy of interests, and frankly the most monumental darkside. So yes, expect that to be the case.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Private Francois?

It'll be like in Doctor Zhivago, where the rich family had most of their house taken over after the Revolution and ended up all living in one room.

We only have a one bedroom flat, so I'm reasonably confident we won't have to put up more than one smallish family of asylum seekers in our lounge.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Do you think Corbyn's position is sincere? Surely his CU thing has been his excuse for voting against the WA. I can't see anything changing.
    I'm genuinely not sure, certainly he enjoys moving the goalposts.

May should start out by asking Corbyn to lay out his Brexit plan in full that satisfies his own 6 tests.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Seamus will come up with a formula for Jeremy to deflect the offer to cooperate. All the while spouting "we must find ways to bring people together"
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Not quite.

A VONC from the LOTO means the government has to give it priority over all other Commons business.

A VONC from anyone other than the LOTO doesn't get the same priority and may even not be given time to be debated/voted by the government.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Private Francois?

Bedroom Tax!!

If he does, he's even more stupid than I have previously assumed.
  • Options
    Cosmic said:

If Labour help the Tories pass the WA (which includes the backstop) won't the DUP just VoNC the government?

If Labour help the WA pass how can they justify also VoNC the government, at least until required legislation goes through?

But that t is one reason they won't help it pass, I suspect.
    kjohnw said:

The Conservative party has expired tonight, never to be revived

Never? If they united on this issue they wouldn't be in their current state paralysed to move one or another, until possibly tonight.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

#CorbynsCustomsUnion - Even May is begging for it!

Not sure he is serious about PV. But willing to give it for the greater good of JIMIPM
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Xtrain said:

I'm registered to vote in Twickenham but am spending most of my time in West Dorset, a second home. Are there any ramifications if I register to vote in West Dorset with the intention of voting here in any GE?

You won't be able to vote in Twickenham any long and Council Tax might be an issue depending on how many still "live in" the Twickenham houe/flat when you are no longer officially there. I can't think of any other serious ramifications.
  • Options
    Prepare for the final economic decline of a once great nation, about to be turned into a Marxist republic under PM Jeremy Corbyn, Hard left socialist / Marxist / communist , and we are going to be undemocratically subservient to a rule making unelected EU who will dictate our tariffs and foreign policy for us with no say in the matter. We are so screwed. I will never ever vote Tory again or anyone for that matter
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

ITYM "losing Scotland and Northern Ireland".
    Less soon as NI has a DUP First Minister and Scotland an SNP First Minister but in any case Ireland was already lost a century ago, it would just be reuniting the Northern bits with the Republic
    NI doesn't have a First Minster of any stripe.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Xtrain said:

It is possible to be on both registers, and indeed vote in both local elections. Only one or t'other at a GE though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    isam said:
    As I said, no PM could willingly take us there, despite all the contrary voices suggesting she might prefer no deal to other choices.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

But keeping NI (cf Selmayr).
  • Options
    If Tories cannot pass anything on Brexit, and no deal is bad as the Commons thinks, then non Tories are going to be needed to pass something. Either the Tories as a whole attempt to shape that something, or it gets shaped without them with the help of a few rebels.

Why so many Tories struggle with this I do not know. They seem to think other people voting for Brexit is bad, even though they don't have enough on their own to do it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kle4 said:

'We want X'
    'We want X'
    'We want X'

They've hung themselves out to dry and are now complaining they've been hung out to dry.

A conclusion that most eurosceptics here were able to reach in November.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    kle4 said:

'We want X'
    'We want X'
    'We want X'

No, it’s quite clearly the fault of the tiny band of ‘Remainer Wreckers’...
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/02/strip-tiny-band-remainer-wreckers-tories-not-split-brexit/
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    kjohnw said:

Prepare for the final economic decline of a once great nation, about to be turned into a Marxist republic under PM Jeremy Corbyn, Hard left socialist / Marxist / communist , and we are going to be undemocratically subservient to a rule making unelected EU who will dictate our tariffs and foreign policy for us with no say in the matter. We are so screwed. I will never ever vote Tory again or anyone for that matter

A trifle pessimistic?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

We have confidence now thanks.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,785
    Pulpstar said:

Because Better Together worked so well for Labour in Scotland...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Private Francois?

Bedroom Tax!!

No, but I do want a bigger place so I might sell up and get a bigger house out towards the country.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

#CorbynsCustomsUnion - Even May is begging for it!

Not sure he is serious about PV. But willing to give it for the greater good of JIMIPM
    Seems to me the sensible compromise is Labour's CU plan, no referendum. If both sides, or enough of them, agree on the outcome, why is a comfirmatory referendum needed? Tories compromise on the CU, Labour on the PV. Fair is fair.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Xtrain said:

Why would you want to vote in West Dorset compared to Twickers, Letwin is safe as houses whereas Twickenham can be a marginal (Though I expect it'll be an easy Lib Dem hold)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm genuinely not sure, certainly he enjoys moving the goalposts.

May should start out by asking Corbyn to lay out his Brexit plan in full that satisfies his own 6 tests.
    Like you, I've no idea whether this will amount to anything.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

'We want X'
    'We want X'
    'We want X'

A conclusion that most eurosceptics here were able to reach in November.
    The ERG has a selection process based on lowest IQ.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kjohnw said:

I believe you are a Leaver? In which case you did this. Well done.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

'We want X'
    'We want X'
    'We want X'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/02/strip-tiny-band-remainer-wreckers-tories-not-split-brexit/
    They've certainly played their part. I put them in the same boat as the ERG hardliners.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

No, my reading is that there's no restriction on who can put such a motion. Govt, oppo, Letwin day, EDM, whatever. I think you could even do it as an amendment.
  • Options
    Ugh, people attempting (they say) to compromise, it makes me sick. Don't they know that purity keeps you clean?
  • Options
    Cosmic said:

TIG will save them otherwise they will all be off
  • Options

Scott_P said:

We're still around.

So basically your faction now consists of Ewan McGregor and a 900 year old green gnome?

Ken Clarke is obviously Ewan McGregor in Hush Puppies in this scenario, which would make you...?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219
    edited April 2019
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

'We want X'
    'We want X'
    'We want X'

Is that 'our' Stewart Jackson?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Cosmic said:

Yes or try and agree a SM and CU Deal for the future relationship with Corbyn for the whole UK which negates the backstop anyway, it is not impossible if the ERG also VONC the government Corbyn could be PM by the end of the week with SNP, LD, DUP, Green and Plaid confidence and supply
  • Options

kjohnw said:

A trifle pessimistic?
    I think anger will be rising in the country tonight , the people are being sidelined, their votes worthless and no lessons have been learnt about why people voted leave. MPs are so detached from real peoples lives, a plague on all their houses
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    kjohnw said:

You think we are going to be a Marxist republic subservient to the EU? Interesting concept.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Yes, if we remained in the EU, much of that could be prevented by EU law.

But dont worry, PM Corbyn will need to be chosen by the Will of the People, and who can deny them their democratic right?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited April 2019
    May's original deal versus revoke in a run-off referendum is the only way out of this madness. A GE will not solve Brexit unless Labour stand on clear second ref and get a majority and do not renege. Corbyn government would be disaster, permanent CU would be unstable because it is crap and being in is so much better. May's deal is softest Brexit that makes any sort of sense.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    kle4 said:

'We want X'
    'We want X'
    'We want X'

That all sounds very similar to how May has been talking until today.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    Pulpstar said:

Xtrain said:

Why would you want to vote in West Dorset compared to Twickers, Letwin is safe as houses whereas Twickenham can be a marginal (Though I expect it'll be an easy Lib Dem hold)
    Well he was safe as houses. Who knows what might happen but I agree that Twickenham is an easy hold for the Libs. It's also remainer territory.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

We're still around.

So basically your faction now consists of Ewan McGregor and a 900 year old green gnome?

Ken Clarke is obviously Ewan McGregor in Hush Puppies in this scenario, which would make you...?
    Luke Skywalker.
  • Options
    Save BREXIT
    Save NHS
    Renationalize Railways
    Max's flat

Anything else
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

A trifle pessimistic?
    I think anger will be rising in the country tonight , the people are being sidelined, their votes worthless and no lessons have been learnt about why people voted leave. MPs are so detached from real peoples lives, a plague on all their houses
    Anger will be rising because cynical politicians will be stoking it. We're not really any closer to an outcome, May and Corbyn have little incentive to bend even if they say they want to work together (in reality what could Corbyn sell to his party other than a PV, which is not a compromise at all, it's May doing what he wants), and bottom line is we were set for a multi year transition anyway, in the short term we won't really know the difference if some agreement were reached.

We will all get the chance to punish or reward the parties at a GE, probably this year.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076

May's original deal versus revoke in a run-off referendum is the only way out of this madness. A GE will not solve Brexit unless Labour stand on clear second ref and get a majority and do not renege. Corbyn government would be disaster, permanent CU would be unstable because it is crap and being in is so much better. May's deal is softest Brexit that makes any sort of sense.

Judging from the reaction from the ERG, today is a stepping stone towards that. May first needs to get them to the point where they realise that both her deal and Remain are preferable to the alternative.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

kjohnw said:

No Michael Gove stabbed the one man who could have negotiated a decent brexit in the back. Theresa May is no leaver never has been , she has by stealth and deception subverted the whole brexit process by fully surrendering to her EU masters. The political establishment has betrayed the voters demand to leave the EU. It was never going to be allowed to happen. The civil service would never allow to leave either.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    To be fair to May, thinking about it, her U turns, movement on red lines, indicative votes, reaching out to a Labour Brexit, does mean something good can happen now. The EU can put the Labour Brexit into the PD after just a couple of days negotiation. Both party leaders in the same lobby guarantees aye for something at last, what do we think, all SNP, DUP, TIG, LD voting against, plus substantial rebellions from Tory and Labour too, but the ayes still have it by 150-200? And Labour will insist May cave in to a confirmation vote as well, and public will endorse it 60/40 at worst? So a 150+ commons win and 60/40 public support draws a line under this brexit saga for a long time, and we can move on.

Labours even got leadsome parroting about a jobs brexit already. 😃

So like I said, to be fair to May, she put country before party when it came to it?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The ERG nutjobs can whine as much as they like .

They own everything that’s happened and clearly got delusions and couldn’t count .

A small number of sane Tories was all that’s needed with the opposition to stop their no deal fantasy .
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kjohnw said:

No Michael Gove stabbed the one man who could have negotiated a decent brexit in the back. Theresa May is no leaver never has been , she has by stealth and deception subverted the whole brexit process by fully surrendering to her EU masters. The political establishment has betrayed the voters demand to leave the EU. It was never going to be allowed to happen. The civil service would never allow to leave either.
    What during Boris Johnson's tenure as Foreign Secretary makes you think he could have negotiated a decent Brexit?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219
    edited April 2019
    kjohnw said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kjohnw said:

Boris Johnson seeing out a decent Brexit deal? Is that a squadron of flying unicorns I see above me?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

kle4 said:

'We want X'
    'We want X'
    'We want X'

That all sounds very similar to how May has been talking until today.
    Everyone has been behaving the same way demanding the other side do what they want. In fairness to Corbyn he moved a bit on the indicative votes. But PV supporters scuppered other options then immediately claimed a PV was needed despite it losing by more than CU for instance. None have behaved well. The ERG have moaned the loudest though, with the most pomposity.

Their numbers would have swung it last time even without the DUP. They said no, and are now mad that what they were told could happen is happening.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076

kjohnw said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kjohnw said:

What during Boris Johnson's tenure as Foreign Secretary makes you think he could have negotiated a decent Brexit?
    It's not that Boris Johnson could have negotiated a decent Brexit, but he might have been able to convince @kjohnw that a bad one was good.
This discussion has been closed.