Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Very shortly the credibility of so many Tory leavers could be

Comments

• Options
    nico67 said:

May will not push the button on no deal .

She’ll resign and pass the decision on to someone else .

She doesn't have to. It is unstoppable without legislation all passed with royal assent by the 12th April

TM resigning does not address the legislation required
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Scott_P said:

You are talking to different Tories than me.....

Probably talking to voters, not members...
    How many members does the Conservative Party have now? I have not seen any recent figures.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Perhaps this is the week the Tory Party will finally break. A division that has been predicted for much of my adult lifetime.

The Tories didn’t quite split over tariff reform, albeit they did suffer defections.

The party will not split over no deal, but it will lose 10-20 MPs.
    "Internal housekeeping"
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited March 2019

nielh said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

So, Gauke is pushing the (IMHO minority) view that May will be forced to accept a customs union if somehow it goes support this week (I’m doubtful myself).

I suspect 11 of these would resign if that happened: https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers

Maybe but Gauke may not be wrong, sadly. There is one report in today’s papers that if May’s deal doesn’t pass, she’ll go for a soft Brexit which will satisfy absolutely no one
    It will satisfy many and possibly the majority in the HOC

I do not agree with it but I accept the reality
    I’d rather see the manifesto on which the Tories were elected honoured.
    Sometimes manifestoes cannot be honoured, sometimes u-turns are justified and/or necessary

Most of the outcomes now are not what many people will have wanted. Well, half the country wasn't going to get what it wanted anyway (although they might, if we remain), and neither will many others.

Something this big?
    Rawnesley's characteristically sharp piece in the Observer today cited exactly that feature as one of the reasons why May is likely to go down as one of the worst PM's in the last hundred years.
    Asquith?

It is way to early to judge either Cameron or May.
    Indeed - many months and even years need to pass to assess their success or failure
    John Major is seen as being better now than he was in the 1990s but he never did anything to screw up the long term ability of the economy to grow. I liked John Major, I remember seeing him in Westminster a few months after the 1997 Tory wipe out. People were enthusiastic toward him despite the Tories brand being as popular as the black death in those times I felt people were boyed by the experience of seeing an ex PM!

I think the current PM has a fundamental flaw in that she has made some very poor decisions and is clearly utterly clueless. The DUP are never going to vote for her deal as it weakens the union. DUP are not interested in economics, they are principally only interested in saving the political union of UK and NI. If that means more poverty then so be it in their eyes. A bit like the Brexit fundamentalists who don't seem to care that tracts of the economy might close down.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Which government ministers will be resigning if May is forced to adopt a Customs Union?

Ben - I have given up caring

Hold fast there Big_G - it can't go on for too much longer, it really can't*.

(*He says, more in hope than expectation.)
    12th April is high noon and no deal beckons

The mps have to take a plausable way to stop it and there are few options due to legal constraints

Why thy do not pass the WDA is beyond me, but ERG are beyond redemption in my party and for me
    Well maybe a few more Labour MPs will back a WA they have no real objection to and....sorry, couldn't finish that one with a straight face.
    Ultimately May has found herself in a poker game with Corbyn, Barnier and Foster. And she's not very good.
    May said she was a tough negotiator! lol

I cannot understand how someone so inadequate and completely out of their depth has survived as long as she has. She is really very bad. Embarrassingly bad!

Nobody had the balls or moral fibre to do so. All of them thought they'd let her take the blame and they'd rule over the rubble. It's good for them and if it fucks us up, well, we're only the voters... :(
    The Tories are in real trouble over Brexit. The people I have talked to over the last few days who usually support the Tories are starting to get really angry that Brexit is going ahead despite the likely implications of a No Deal Brexit. May has to act in the national interest and revoke article 50. If she sides with the hard Brexit crowd it is not unfeasible that the Tories could suffer a Canadian 1990s style Wipeout.
    There were lots of people on the big march who looked and sounded a lot like the kinds of people you'd expect to be Tories. I didn't think the people protesting last Friday looked much like Tories at all.
    Many of them would have been Tories pre-Thatcher/Major when places like Hornsey & Wood Green, Manchester Withington and Bristol West were safely Conservative. But, a chunk of middle class voters were lost in those years, and they never came back. A lot of people who fit the stereotype of Tory voters are not.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Adolf fans of Deutschland?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

She doesn't have to. It is unstoppable without legislation all passed with royal assent by the 12th April

She won’t agree a CU and won’t no deal .

She will say another leader needs to reset the negotiations and will ask for an extension till the end of the year . Her going will diffuse the situation re a longer delay . The Tories will stomach a longer extension if May goes soon.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Which government ministers will be resigning if May is forced to adopt a Customs Union?

The mps have to take a plausable way to stop it and there are few options due to legal constraints

Why thy do not pass the WDA is beyond me, but ERG are beyond redemption in my party and for me
    Well maybe a few more Labour MPs will back a WA they have no real objection to and....sorry, couldn't finish that one with a straight face.
    Ultimately May has found herself in a poker game with Corbyn, Barnier and Foster. And she's not very good.
    (
    Actually the reverse, Deltapoll today had Tory voters backing No Deal 57% to 36%, Tory voters rejected EUref2 61% to 29% and revoke 59% to 31% so the only way the Tories suffer a 1990s style Wipeout is by backing EUref2 or revoke as they would then likely be overtaken by Farage's new Brexit Party or UKIP much as the Progressive Tories in Canada were overtaken by the more rightwing Reform Party in 1993. The only other option on Brexit Tories supported was May's Deal plus CU 42% to 27% although that still got less Tory support than No Deal

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/polls/brexit-conservatives

Indeed in Epping canvassing at the weekend I found on balance more voters complaining that we were still in the EU when we due to Leave last Friday than wanted to stop Brexit completely.

I prefer qualitive sources of information to opinion polls which have been shown to be wildly inaccurate and the quantitive sources of data that underpin them are sometimes corrupt./skewed Just think of some of the polling fails that have underwritten the political process in the last 30 years! I find some of your faith in opinion polls to be deeply naive. If the Tories split or dip below critical mass in a GE then they will get slaughtered on the ground. I don't think a Brexit party will find FPTP an ambivalent system as it will cut them to shreds. An example is the Green party in 1989 where despite a good showing in popular votes they got nothing!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    FF43 said:

Rawnesley's characteristically sharp piece in the Observer today cited exactly that feature as one of the reasons why May is likely to go down as one of the worst PM's in the last hundred years.

Interestingly he gave as the four worst to date Ramsay McDonald, Chamberlain, Eden and Cameron. Not sure of I agree with that last one, and personally I'd have Baldwin in my worst four, but am sure PBers will have plenty of opinions on the matter!

The worst leader since Charles 1, whom she resembles by being at the same time totally inflexible and utterly untrustworthy. A fatal combination for a leader, as King Charles found out to his cost. The compensation perhaps is that Theresa May might still be better than her successor.
    Charles I was rather more popular with Parliament.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    IanB2 said:

Perhaps this is the week the Tory Party will finally break. A division that has been predicted for much of my adult lifetime.

Most Tory MPs have voted to keep No Deal on the table and most Tory voters and members back No Deal in the polls over Remain, it may be a minority of Tory Remainers defect to TIG/CUK much as some Blairites from Labour and Soubry, Allen and Wollaston have already done but the Tory Party will remain.

Remember even when Peel's supporters defected from the Tories after the Commons voted to repeal the Corn Laws ultimately to form the Liberals with the Whigs the Tory Party remained in the form of the protectionist majority of the Party
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Scott_P said:
    lol - You know politics is really in a bad place when Chris Grayling is threatening to resign! What is even worse is the PM not accepting it!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,445
    Leaving aside whether the header is valuable or not as a piece of political commentary, TSE mentions betting implications - it would be interesting to know what you feel those are, and perhaps even how you've adjusted your betting accordingly.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

She will say another leader needs to reset the negotiations and will ask for an extension till the end of the year . Her going will diffuse the situation re a longer delay . The Tories will stomach a longer extension if May goes soon.
    With respect you are not understanding there is no time for this

Just where do you think the legislation to stop no deal and indeed for the HOc to approve EU elections is coming from in just 12 days

Futhermore any extension has to have a majority HOC view for the EU to consider it

Indeed it may just be we run out of legislative time

Also TM will not agree a CU, so it is her WDA or no deal happens by default on the 12th April
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Is that rhetoric or just a prediction of how many times she'll bring it back?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

(
    Actually the reverse, Deltapoll today had Tory voters backing No Deal 57% to 36%, Tory voters rejected EUref2 61% to 29% and revoke 59% to 31% so the only way the Tories suffer a 1990s style Wipeout is by backing EUref2 or revoke as they would then likely be overtaken by Farage's new Brexit Party or UKIP much as the Progressive Tories in Canada

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/polls/brexit-conservatives

Indeed in Epping canvassing at the weekend I found on balance more voters complaining that we were still in the EU when we due to Leave last Friday than wanted to stop Brexit completely.

I prefer qualitive sources of information to opinion polls which have been shown to be wildly inaccurate and the quantitive sources of data that underpin them are sometimes corrupt./skewed Just think of some of the polling fails that have underwritten the political process in the last 30 years! I find some of your faith in opinion polls to be deeply naive. If the Tories split or dip below critical mass in a GE then they will get slaughtered on the ground. I don't think a Brexit party will find FPTP an ambivalent system as it will cut them to shreds. An example is the Green party in 1989 where despite a good showing in popular votes they got nothing!
    The Conservatives could be slaughtered, but only if they face a rival on the right, which they don't.

Absurdly, some Lib Dems thought they could replace the Conservatives in 2005, despite being to the Left of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Just where do you think the legislation to stop no deal and indeed for the HOc to approve EU elections is coming from in just 12 days

Futhermore any extension has to have a majority HOC view for the EU to consider it

Also TM will not agree a CU, so it is her WDA or no deal happens by default on the 12th April
    I am not sure, if the Commons votes for her Deal but only with a CU as Gauke says she cannot press on without a clash between executive and legislature and I cannot see the Queen allowing that to go on.

May knows that too hence she has said she will never allow No Deal unless the Commons votes for it. If the Commons votes for a CU tomorrow I suspect May will then put up her Deal as is v her Deal with a CU and say she will implement whatever of the 2 the Commons votes for and stay PM to then sign off with the EU and see the WA with or without a CU in the PD get royal assent.

However she will step down as Tory leader as soon as the WA with or without a CU passes the Commons giving the Tories a few months to have a leadership contest before she finally steps down as PM
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

We know parliament can extend Brexit. If we want a different path, we signal that to the EU, agree a reasonable date, and use the statutory instrument to amend the Brexit act date. It can be done quickly. We know this, because it has just happened.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    I do hope we get some clarity this week.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,445
    Scott_P said:
    Are we going to be enjoying many more cut and pasted tweets about Jacob Rees Mogg's tweets from you this evening?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Is that rhetoric or just a prediction of how many times she'll bring it back?
    The Remainers

🎤 And I would vote 500 times
    And I would vote 500 more 🎤
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,235
    Scott_P said:
    Nobody is going to be laughing in a month or two.
  • Options

FF43 said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

I cannot understand how someone so inadequate and completely out of their depth has survived as long as she has. She is really very bad. Embarrassingly bad!

Nobody had the balls or moral fibre to do so. All of them thought they'd let her take the blame and they'd rule over the rubble. It's good for them and if it fucks us up, well, we're only the voters... :(
    The Tories are in real trouble over Brexit. The people I have talked to over the last few days who usually support the Tories are starting to get really angry that Brexit is going ahead despite the likely implications of a No Deal Brexit. May has to act in the national interest and revoke article 50. If she sides with the hard Brexit crowd it is not unfeasible that the Tories could suffer a Canadian 1990s style Wipeout.
    The Tories have become UKIP. If you were a Conservative of a couple of years ago, who opposed UKIP at the time you will be alienated by what the party has become.
    The type of Tories I meet have been lifelong supporters. The support structure for the party may have changed and this maybe why none of us are likely to vote for it again. Personally, I think the Tories made a mistake to ditch middle of the road Tories for fair weather Brexit supporters. I think I will support Change/ Independent group and failing that Lib Dems until Labour is taken back by the moderates.
    You do realise that the moderates cannot take back Labour. Momentum and the Corbynites hold all the levers of power - except the deputy leadership. If Tom Watson fails as a voice of moderation then the hard left will rule if Labour win. That will make Brexit seem like a tea party
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Hold fast there Big_G - it can't go oation.)
    12th Ame
    Well maybe a few mo with a straight face.
    Ultimatelyood.
    (
    Actually the reverse, Deltapoll today had T

http://wly.

You can think what you want but I quoted both canvassing and polling.

The Tories will not get below 30 to 35% provided they deliver Brexit, probably in whatever form, if the Tories fail to deliver Brexit however and we stay in the EU they would be lucky to get 20%.

Your FPTP point is of course totally contradictory to your earlier point about the Tories facing a Canada 1993 style wipeout given Canada has FPTP and in 1993 the Progressive Conservatives in Canada fell from 43% at the last election to just 16% and 156 seats to just 2 while the more rightwing Reform Party overtook them to surge from 2% at the last election to 19% and 1 seat to 52 to become the main party of the right in Canada until they merged with the Progressive Conservatives in 2003 to become the Conservative Party of Canada which finally beat the governing Liberals in 2006
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Hmmm: would the people of the UK be better off if power was exercised by Lithuania or by Chris Grayling.

Choices, choices, choices...
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

FF43 said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

You do realise that the moderates cannot take back Labour. Momentum and the Corbynites hold all the levers of power - except the deputy leadership. If Tom Watson fails as a voice of moderation then the hard left will rule if Labour win. That will make Brexit seem like a tea party
    It’s not probable, certainly in the near term. But it is by no means impossible. At some point, Corbyn will go. It remains unlikely that a hard-leftwinger gets on the ballot.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson exclusive: "The Tories need to get on with Brexit and learn to believe in Britain again"

(Telegraph)

Is anyone still listening to this pseudo-Edwardian jingoist crap anymore?

Sadly, probably the answer is yes, but only Tory members.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

NeilVW said:

The Telegraph reckons 13 no-dealers in the Cabinet and 10 customs union supporters (4 undecided).

I think that's wishful thinking on the Telegraph's part:

Which of these are No Dealers?:

Steve Barclay
    Karen Bradley
    James Brokenshire
    Alun Cairns
    Greg Clark
    Geoffrey Cox
    Leo Docherty
    Liam Fox
    David Gauke
    Michael Gove
    Chris Grayling
    Philip Hammond
    Matt Hancock
    Damian Hinds
    Jeremy Hunt
    Sajid Javid
    Eleanor Laing
    Andrea Leadsom
    Brandon Lewis
    David Lidington
    Theresa May
    Penny Mordaunt
    David Mundell
    Caroline Nokes
    Claire Perry
    Amber Rudd
    Julian Smith
    Liz Truss
    Gavin Williamson
    Jeremy Wright

Fox, Leadsom, Mordaunt, Truss, Barclay, who else?
    Fox isn't, Grayling is.

Fox is petrified that his disastrous tenure at DfIT is about to bite him in the arse.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

How many members does the Conservative Party have now? I have not seen any recent figures.
    124,000 at the end of 2017. Now, I would guess something over 150,000.
  • Options

Gordon Brown was very bad. He deliberately made a bad situation even worse through profligate spending, embarrassing obsession with Barack Obama and complete inability to communicate to the country.

By "deliberately made a bad situation even worse" you mean Gordon Brown led and coordinated the international response to contain the global financial crisis?
    Some might argue that was his only significant success as PM, but it was an incredibly important one. As for an 'obsession with Barack Obama', the newly elected President was only too happy to led Brown lead on a crisis that Brown was plainly well equipped to handle.

Rawnesley's lengthy tome The End Of The Party documents the episode well.

The rest of his Premiership may have been crap, but his handling of the financial crisis was a triumph.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm: would the people of the UK be better off if power was exercised by Lithuania or by Chris Grayling.

Bet the Lithuanians have a better transport minister than failing .
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Most Tory MPs have voted to keep No Deal on the table and most Tory voters and members back No Deal in the polls over Remain, it may be a minority of Tory Remainers defect to TIG/CUK much as some Blairites from Labour and Soubry, Allen and Wollaston have already done but the Tory Party will remain...
    Sweet. You really do think that support for No Deal would survive contact with the reality of No Deal, don't you?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Most Tory MPs have voted to keep No Deal on the table and most Tory voters and members back No Deal in the polls over Remain, it may be a minority of Tory Remainers defect to TIG/CUK much as some Blairites from Labour and Soubry, Allen and Wollaston have already done but the Tory Party will remain...
    Sweet. You really do think that support for No Deal would survive contact with the reality of No Deal, don't you?
    :+1:

In my weaker moments, I half wish we would No Deal, just so the Brexiteers will get what they want and then the Tory party will be destroyed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625
    rcs1000 said:

The only surprising thing about a Grayling “exclusive” interview is that he found a journalist who could be bothered.

• Options
    edited March 2019

Gordon Brown was very bad. He deliberately made a bad situation even worse through profligate spending, embarrassing obsession with Barack Obama and complete inability to communicate to the country.

By "deliberately made a bad situation even worse" you mean Gordon Brown led and coordinated the international response to contain the global financial crisis?
    Some might argue that was his only significant success as PM, but it was an incredibly important one. As for an 'obsession with Barack Obama', the newly elected President was only too happy to led Brown lead on a crisis that Brown was plainly well equipped to handle.

The rest of his Premiership may have been crap, but his handling of the financial crisis was a triumph.
    It wasn't a triumph at all. I don't want to criticise too much, but it was what any government, of any party, would have done. The actual implementation, when it finally happened, was pretty good - but it's Darling, not Brown, who deserves the credit for that. And before that, the earlier response was absolutely dire. The Northern Rock bank run was a completely avoidable disaster, and the pushing of HBOS into Lloyds (Brown's biggest personal intervention) converted a crisis in a minor bank into a crisis in a major bank.

Overall, about 4/10.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The real interest in terms of IVs is what the DUP support .

They abstained on Common Market 2.0 last time .
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

In my weaker moments, I half wish we would No Deal, just so the Brexiteers will get what they want and then the Tory party will be destroyed.
    I kind of feel the same, although I don't have the same degree of antipathy towards the Tory Party. Nevertheless I think it might in the end prove a chastening experience for people to find out what No deal really means, and in the long run - perhaps very long run - we might be better off for learning the hard way.
  • Options

It wasn't a triumph at all. I don't want to criticise too much, but it was what any government, of any party, would have done. The actual implementation, when it finally happened, was pretty good - but it's Darling, not Brown, who deserves the credit for that. And before that, the earlier response was absolutely dire. The Northern Rock bank run was a completely avoidable disaster, and the pushing of HBOS into Lloyds (Brown's biggest personal intervention) converted a crisis in a minor bank into a crisis in a major bank.

Overall, about 4/10.
    That’s a whole 4 more than May and 5 more than Cameron.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625

Scott_P said:
    Are we going to be enjoying many more cut and pasted tweets about Jacob Rees Mogg's tweets from you this evening?
    Don’t know why you’re asking, given that it’s rather up to you whether you enjoy them or not.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Overall, about 4/10.
    Cameron and Osborne rescued the country. 10/10.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    HYUFD said:

If English MPs alone had voted on May's Deal last week it would have passed 266 for, 254 against and we would now be ready to Leave the EU on the basis of the WA

ENGLAND: 266 MPs for, 256 MPs against (51%-49%)
    SCOTLAND: 13 for, 45 against (22%-78%)
    WALES: 6 for, 33 against (15%-85%)
    NORTHERN IRELAND: 1 for, 10 against (9%-91%)

https://wingsoverscotland.com/independence-for-england-now/

What's remarkable is the difference between England and Wales, especially considering that Wales is as pro-Brexit as England.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Hold fast there Big_G - it can't go oation.)
    12th Ame
    Well maybe a few mo with a straight face.
    Ultimatelyood.
    (
    Actually the reverse, Deltapoll today had T

http://wly.

I prefer qualitive sources of information to opinion polls which have been shown to be wildly inaccurate and the quantitive sources of data that underpin them are sometimes corrupt./skewed Just think of some of the polling fails that have underwritten the political process in the last 30 years! I find some of your faith in opinion polls to be deeply naive. If the Tories split or dip below critical mass in a GE then they will get slaughtered on the ground. I don't think a Brexithowing in popular votes they got nothing!
    You can think what you want but I quoted both canvassing and polling.

The Tories will not get below 30 to 35% provided they deliver Brexit, probably in whatever form, if the Tories fail to deliver Brexit however and we stay in the EU they would be lucky to get 20%.

Your FPTP point is of course totally contradictory to your earlier point about the Tories facing a Canada 1993 style wipeout given Canada has FPTP and in 1993 the Progressive Conservatives in Canada fell from 43% at the last election to just 16% and 156 seats to just 2 while the more rightwing Reform Party overtook them to surge from 2% at the last election to 19% and 1 seat to 52 to become the main party of the right in Canada until they merged with the Progressive Conservatives in 2003 to become the Conservative Party of Canada which finally beat the governing Liberals in 2006
    About 25% of Conservative voters disagree with Brexit, and 10-15% dislike it very much.

That leaves 75% who are in favour, and 10-15% who can live with it.

So, people like @The Taxman aren't wrong, when they talk about meeting lifelong Conservatives who hate Brexit. That will be especially the case if you work in the City or West End, or live in the Stockbroker Belt, or Fulham. Conversely, you won't meet many Conservatives in Essex, Lincolnshire, or North Kent who disagree with Brexit, let alone hate it.

Brexit is a big issue, but not the only issue in determining party allegiance.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Jonathan said:

Overall, about 4/10.
    Doesn’t feel all that rescued to me. Feels like they flushed it down the shitter in pursuit of short term party unity, creating problems we didn’t have. I will give you that Osborne was better than Cameron.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

I kind of feel the same, although I don't have the same degree of antipathy towards the Tory Party. Nevertheless I think it might in the end prove a chastening experience for people to find out what No deal really means, and in the long run - perhaps very long run - we might be better off for learning the hard way.
    Indeed. Kinda of how I am thinking now. Then I catch on to myself, as they say in NI.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Basically Racist Exemplifying Xenophobia In Totality (BREXIT) - Sopme bloke on 5 live
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Jonathan said:

Doesn’t feel all that rescued to me. Feels like they flushed it down the shitter in pursuit of short term party unity, resting problems we didn’t have. I will give you that Osborne was better than Cameron.

You are confusing Cameron and Osborne with the electorate. It was the choice of the electorate - against the very, very strong advice of Cameron and Osborne (and in the midst of near-silence from Labour) - to take us out of the EU. Big mistake, but let's put the blame for the mistake where it belongs - with those who made it. And then the same electorate converted the mistake into a disaster by electing a parliament incapable of implementing their previous decision.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Overall, about 4/10.
    Is this rescued
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Jonathan said:

Overall, about 4/10.
    Is this rescued
    No, unfortunately. All the good work has been thrown away (although we do at least have reasonably sound public finances, still, and ultra-low unemployment).
  • Options

Overall, about 4/10.
    We've had this debate before, Richard, and I don't dispute that Brown contributed to the problem in the first place, nor that Darling played a major and valuable part. But rescuing the international banking system needed a figure of international standing, and that was Brown - not Darling (who would have been little known outside the UK ) - and he was ideally suited to play such a role.

I like to think of Brown and Blair as reverse images of each other. Blair was imo a pretty good PM overall with one appalling policy that defined him as a failure. Brown was a crap PM with one defining success.

Would make a good essay topic that!
  • Options

Overall, about 4/10.
    We've had this debate before, Richard, and I don't dispute that Brown contributed to the problem in the first place, nor that Darling played a major and valuable part. But rescuing the international banking system needed a figure of international standing, and that was Brown - not Darling (who would have been little known outside the UK ) - and he was ideally suited to play such a role.

I like to think of Brown and Blair as reverse images of each other. Blair was imo a pretty good PM overall with one appalling policy that defined him as a failure. Brown was a crap PM with one defining success.

He didn't rescue the international banking system, that's absolute tosh. His government rescued the two big British banks, plus a few minor ones - which is a good thing, and due credit for that. But let's not buy into his absurd boasting that he had any part in the rescue of German or US banks.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

It didn't win a majority.

Why not the DUP manifesto?
    Because the gains were made by Labour who also campaigned on a Leave platform and its the Tories who are in power albeit courtesy of the DUP who are more supportive of the Tory manifesto on Brexit than many Tories.
    How does that work? Because Labour gained seats then that means the Tory manifesto should be honoured? They’re a minority government and minority governments don’t get to do everything in their manifesto.
    Ignoring the fact that abiding by the referendum was also one of Labour's manifesto pledges.

Indeed the one UK wide party that supported reversing the referendum result actually managed to lose votes compared to the previous election.
    The manifesto said what a Labour government would do, not what a Labour opposition would do.
    And therein lies your problem. Europhiles can only win these arguments by pointing out just how slippery and dishonest their own arguments are.

I am truly amazed you cannot hear how utterly disingenuous and unprincipled these statements sound to normal non political people.

This is one of the reasons both Europhiles and politicians in general are held in such contempt. Because no matter what the argument they will try and find some way to justify their perfidy.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Doesn’t feel all that rescued to me. Feels like they flushed it down the shitter in pursuit of short term party unity, resting problems we didn’t have. I will give you that Osborne was better than Cameron.

You are confusing Cameron and Osborne with the electorate. It was the choice of the electorate - against the very, very strong advice of Cameron and Osborne (and in the midst of near-silence from Labour) - to take us out of the EU. Big mistake, but let's put the blame for the mistake where it belongs - with those who made it. And then the same electorate converted the mistake into a disaster by electing a parliament incapable of implementing their previous decision.
    You been on the juice tonite, Richard?! You gonna start apportioning blame, you got to start at the top where the greatest power resides, and then work your way down.

I'd start with the EU and work my way through quite a few institutions and individuals before I got down to me and thee.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

Because the gains were made by Labour

You want the Tory manifesto because they lost seats to Labour...

Do you understand how elections work?

I want the Tory manifesto because the Tories are in Gov so your question is one for you to answer.
    Manifestos require legislative action. The people who published the manifesto do not command a majority in the legislature. As a result they cannot pass all the legislation required to fulfil the manifesto and therefore need to find alternatives. Is that so hard to understand?
    It is an argument that collapses entirely when over 80% of the legislature in question included the same promise in their manifestos.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,678
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Jonathan said:

You are confusing Cameron and Osborne with the electorate. It was the choice of the electorate - against the very, very strong advice of Cameron and Osbrorne (and in the midst of near-silence from Labour) - to take us out of the EU. Big mistake, but let's put the blame for the mistake where it belongs - with those who made it. And then the same electorate converted the mistake into a disaster by electing a parliament incapable of implementing their previous decision.
    Hard to blame the people for this...

https://twitter.com/david_cameron/status/595112367358406656?s=21

Gordon Brown was very bad. He deliberately made a bad situation even worse through profligate spending, embarrassing obsession with Barack Obama and complete inability to co

Overall, about 4/10.

He didn't rescue the international banking system, that's absolute tosh. His government rescued the two big British banks, plus a few minor ones - which is a good thing, and due credit for that. But let's not buy into his absurd boasting that he had any part in the rescue of German or US banks.
    OK, get hold of the aforementioned 'End Of The Party', look up G20 Summit in the index and read the appropriate sections.

Then we'll discuss it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Conservatives must back no-deal because 'sorry, we botched Brexit' won't win a general election
    Michael Fabricant"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/31/conservatives-must-back-no-deal-sorry-botched-brexit-wont-win/
  • Options

Jonathan said:

You been on the juice tonite, Richard?! You gonna start apportioning blame, you got to start at the top where the greatest power resides, and then work your way down.

I'd start with the EU and work my way through quite a few institutions and individuals before I got down to me and thee.
    Well me and thee (or at least me!) have no blame.

Beyond that, yes, there are lots of politicians and others who made mistakes in the lead-up to the referendum, and in the negotiations afterwards. But the electorate are not children. No-one forced them to vote as they voted, and if you support democracy, then you support the view that the electorate get to decide. Well they did get to decide - and therefore they are responsible for their decisions. They, and not ultimately the politicians.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

I want the Tory manifesto because the Tories are in Gov so your question is one for you to answer.
    Manifestos require legislative action. The people who published the manifesto do not command a majority in the legislature. As a result they cannot pass all the legislation required to fulfil the manifesto and therefore need to find alternatives. Is that so hard to understand?
    It is an argument that collapses entirely when over 80% of the legislature in question included the same promise in their manifestos.
    Could you find me where in the Labour manifesto it commits to voting for May's deal, or where it commits to leaving by 29 March 2019?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

The MPs seem to want to make this unnecessarily complicated. A permanent Customs Union is the obvious front runner and needs to be put back into the process. There's a question as to whether a referendum should be tied to it, producing a second option. The government needs to decide whether to throw May's deal into the mix for a quasi-MV4; if they do, there's a third option. If they are willing to subject this to a referendum as well, there's a possible fourth option. No deal and revoke probably have to stay in the process to give the people on each of the spectrum something to support before their preferences are transferred. So six in total, even if the government plays ball. Even if Labour's semi-unicorn has to stay in as the official opposition's first choice, that's only seven. Five if HMG doesn't want May's deal in the field.

Surely that should be it?

'A' permanent customs union will destroy a significant proportion of our non EU trade overnight.
    Less destruction than NOT being in the/a customs union however. We can't compare with membership of the European Union. Every Brexit outcome represents a downgrade. Staying in the customs union means a smaller downgrade overall.

Good explainer here: https://twitter.com/SamuelMarcLowe/status/1112292385705390081
    Nope. Not being in a Customs Union is far better because it still allows us to develop trade deals of our own with those countries which already have them with the EU. Being in 'A' Customs Union means we will never be able to negotiate those trade deals as those countries will already have tariff free access to our markets. That is why Turkey is so unhappy with its own customs union with the EU.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You are confusing Cameron and Osborne with the electorate. It was the choice of the electorate - against the very, very strong advice of Cameron and Osbrorne (and in the midst of near-silence from Labour) - to take us out of the EU. Big mistake, but let's put the blame for the mistake where it belongs - with those who made it. And then the same electorate converted the mistake into a disaster by electing a parliament incapable of implementing their previous decision.

Not at all. They wisely took his advice in 2015. Then they very unwisely failed to take his advice in 2016.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Well me and thee (or at least me!) have no blame.

Beyond that, yes, there are lots of politicians and others who made mistakes in the lead-up to the referendum, and in the negotiations afterwards. But the electorate are not children. No-one forced them to vote as they voted, and if you support democracy, then you support the view that the electorate get to decide. Well they did get to decide - and therefore they are responsible for their decisions. They, and not ultimately the politicians.
    Harsh but I haven't the energy to argue. Got to go to bed. More indicative votes tomorrow. Sigh.

Nite Richard, nite everybody.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

We didn't do as he said, and chaos ensued.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

At some point we have to choose from a list of unstisfactory options. Currently the EU accounts for nearly half our exports, plus there is the NI thing. We can't, in the immortal phrase, have our cake and eat it. This is the Brexit undividend. Asymmetric tariffs for those of our non-EU trading partners is one such cost.

The issue of EU trade goes away of we are in the Single Market. And without the issues of 3rd party tariff free access. That is why EFTA countries have never joined a customs union with the EU. It is truly the dumbest idea known to man.

It is also why the EFTA route is by far the most sensible. As some of us have been saying for the last 4 or more years.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not at all. They wisely took his advice in 2015. Then they very unwisely failed to take his advice in 2016.
    You remind me of one of those Japanese soldiers still fighting WW2. Noble, but somewhat out of touch. Cameron really doesn’t deserve your continued loyalty.
  • Options

Boris Johnson exclusive: "The Tories need to get on with Brexit and learn to believe in Britain again"

(Telegraph)

Is anyone still listening to this pseudo-Edwardian jingoist crap anymore?

Sadly, probably the answer is yes, but only Tory members.

He's astonishing - what the hell does he think people have been trying to do while he's been opposing Brexit because it wasn't perfect enough before finally agreeing it was better than nothing?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    edited March 2019

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

But it was perhaps inevitable that the losers (in this case Labour) would insist that the Brexit they were promising is different from the one that the winners promised. Hence stalemate. Frankly, Labour have been very clever/naughty (depending on your point of view) in using this stalemate to leverage an early general election (at the expense of trashing the UK's reputation - it seems that's okay to Corbyn as long as the Tories get the blame). They haven't succeeded yet (in forcing an election) but it's only a matter of time.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

It didn't win a majority.

Why not the DUP manifesto?
    Because the gains were made by Labour who also campaigned on a Leave platform and its the Tories who are in power albeit courtesy of the DUP who are more supportive of the Tory manifesto on Brexit than many Tories.
    How does that work? Because Labour gained seats then that means the Tory manifesto should be honoured? They’re a minority government and minority governments don’t get to do everything in their manifesto.
    Ignoring the fact that abiding by the referendum was also one of Labour's manifesto pledges.

Indeed the one UK wide party that supported reversing the referendum result actually managed to lose votes compared to the previous election.
    Labour's manifesto also rejected a No Deal Brexit.
    The Labour manifesto also made no mention of 29th March 2019 being the unchangeable exit day; and it explicitly reserved the right to vote against May's deal (if it failed their "six tests").

People can say Labour's positions on rejecting May's deal / delaying Brexit are wrong, or contradictory, or that the "six tests" were impossible to meet, or whatever - but they can't say that Labour's voters in 2017 didn't give them a mandate for those positions.

The only case where Labour's arguably been in breach of their 2017 manifesto in relation to Brexit was in voting for a second referendum last week (the manifesto itself didn't rule that out, but Corbyn did say a few times in interviews during the election campaign that he opposed one).
    They will clearly be in breach if they support any measure that means we stay in the EU.
  • Options
    Does rather beg the question why, given their position has not changed, it came as such a shock that they confirmed that position.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Hunt might be planning a bait and switch on No Dealers if he comes into power, but he's definitely in the hardline camp on Europe right now in the cabinet I think.

God, him and Sajid Javid are such idiots.

Atleast the likes of Leadsom and Davis genuinely believe the nonsense they come out with.
    Agreed. Ok, lots of politicians, well, play politics even with stuff like this, but those two have been particualrly blatant in it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,139

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

That is possibly the most disingenuous thing you have ever posted and that is saying something. Both manifestos committed to leaving the EU. That is where the similarities end. Nothing in the Labour manifesto commits it to supporting May’s deal - indeed its opposition to a “damaging Tory Brexit” suggests the opposite. Mr Andy was saying that this MP should support May’s deal rather than the alternative option he had put forward. I was saying that there is no need. There is no detailed proposal on the table that “80% of the legislature” supported in a manifesto.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

Could you find me where in the Labour manifesto it commits to voting for May's deal, or where it commits to leaving by 29 March 2019?
    That is not the argument. Neither of those are problematic. What would be a clear breach is if they support cancelling Brexit. They have obviously not done it yet so there is justifiable criticism. If we do not leave and they have facilitated that then that changes. The same applies to anyone on the Tory side with the exception of Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

But it was perhaps inevitable that the losers (in this case Labour) would insist that the Brexit they were promising is different from the one that the winners promised. Hence stalemate. Frankly, Labour have been very clever/naughty (depending on your point of view) in using this stalemate to leverage an early general election (at the expense of trashing the UK's reputation - it seems that's okay to Corbyn as long as the Tories get the blame). They haven't succeeded yet (in forcing an election) but it's only a matter of time.
    Stalemate I think you mean CheckMate
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You remind me of one of those Japanese soldiers still fighting WW2. Noble, but somewhat out of touch. Cameron really doesn’t deserve your continued loyalty.
    I don't have any loyalty to him. I simply reckon that he was the best PM (bar the very special case of Maggie) of the half-century I've been following politics, and the fact that voters chose to ignore his advice, with bad or perhaps disastrous consequences, doesn't alter that observation; if anything it tends to support it. After all, if the shareholders in a company perversely decide to sack the MD and go for a completely different strategy, for no good reason, with the result that the company which was previously doing well gets into trouble, who do you blame? Not the ex-MD, that's for sure.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,139

Danny565 said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

That is not the argument. Neither of those are problematic. What would be a clear breach is if they support cancelling Brexit. They have obviously not done it yet so there is justifiable criticism. If we do not leave and they have facilitated that then that changes. The same applies to anyone on the Tory side with the exception of Ken Clarke.
    No one in that specific sub-thread was talking about “cancelling Brexit”.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What a stupid headline. What, the no deal that is causing very senior figures to say they'll resign won't?

And these same people are the ones privately leaking to journalists about how May is mad in bringing her deal back all the time probably. And it is a bad move, but when both sides are constantly saying doing anything will cause a split and destroy the party no wonder she keeps trying the thing that has at least kept most of them in Cabinte so far.

Gods, the Tories really have pushed their party games far too far. What price would they have the country pay rather than compromise with people in their own goddamn party?

Good night all. Hopefully Prime Minster Letwin will see us on a better path this week.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I don't have any loyalty to him. I simply reckon that he was the best PM (bar the very special case of Maggie) of the half-century I've been following politics, and the fact that voters chose to ignore his advice, with bad or perhaps disastrous consequences, doesn't alter that observation; if anything it tends to support it. After all, if the shareholders in a company perversely decide to sack the MD and go for a completely different strategy, for no good reason, with the result that the company which was previously doing well gets into trouble, who do you blame? Not the ex-MD, that's for sure.
    Cameron made two big mistakes. Gambling the future of the country for short term party advantage and then believing his own hype that he could talk his way through the EU negotiations and referendum. He should have faced down his nutters, but gave into them. He is beneath contempt.

• Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

That is possibly the most disingenuous thing you have ever posted and that is saying something. Both manifestos committed to leaving the EU. That is where the similarities end. Nothing in the Labour manifesto commits it to supporting May’s deal - indeed its opposition to a “damaging Tory Brexit” suggests the opposite. Mr Andy was saying that this MP should support May’s deal rather than the alternative option he had put forward. I was saying that there is no need. There is no detailed proposal on the table that “80% of the legislature” supported in a manifesto.

I made no mention of them supporting May's deal. Nor do I have any problem if they do not. So long as in the end they support some form of Brexit. That is what they and the Tories both committed to and what they should be held to.

So please keep your faux outrage to yourself. It fools no one.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Maybe worth mentioning that the MD had spent the previous 10 years suggesting the original strategy was terrible, and desperately needed changing, and he would change it, then totally failed to change it in any meaningful way, but suddenly appealed to the shareholders to keep it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Had Cameron simply won most seats again and not won quite as many LD seats as he did which gave him an overall majority in 2015 he would have remained PM as head of the Coalition with Clegg staying on as DPM, there would have been no EUref in 2015 and Cameron would probably still be PM today. PM Miliband though would have had a far more unstable confidence and supply arrangement with the SNP and faced opposition from the left to any plans he had to cut the deficit.

So Cameron might well have been right, just not in the way he intended.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If English MPs alone had voted on May's Deal last week it would have passed 266 for, 256 against and we would now be ready to Leave the EU on the basis of the WA

ENGLAND: 266 MPs for, 256 MPs against (51%-49%)
    SCOTLAND: 13 for, 45 against (22%-78%)
    WALES: 6 for, 33 against (15%-85%)
    NORTHERN IRELAND: 1 for, 10 against (9%-91%)

https://wingsoverscotland.com/independence-for-england-now/

What's remarkable is the difference between England and Wales, especially considering that Wales is as pro-Brexit as England.
    The difference is most Welsh MPs are Labour and most English MPs are Tory
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Cameron made two big mistakes. Gambling the future of the country for short term party advantage and then believing his own hype that he could talk his way through the EU negotiations and referendum. He should have faced down his nutters, but gave into them. He is beneath contempt.

If Brown hadn't reneged on Labour's 2005 manifesto commitment to a referendum, he wouldn't have had to. It might suit some people to pretend that our relationship with Europe is solely a Tory party obsession, but the fact that Blair and Brown felt the need to include that promise fourteen years ago shows otherwise.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Endillion said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If Brown hadn't reneged on Labour's 2005 manifesto commitment to a referendum, he wouldn't have had to. It might suit some people to pretend that our relationship with Europe is solely a Tory party obsession, but the fact that Blair and Brown felt the need to include that promise fourteen years ago shows otherwise.
    Blair not Brown.
  • Options

The issue of EU trade goes away of we are in the Single Market. And without the issues of 3rd party tariff free access. That is why EFTA countries have never joined a customs union with the EU. It is truly the dumbest idea known to man.

It is also why the EFTA route is by far the most sensible. As some of us have been saying for the last 4 or more years.

I don't understand this obsession with a customs union either. On its own it doesn't solve NI. Surely an eventual free trade agreement does everything the custom union does but without the restrictions and loss of sovereignty?

What am I missing?

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Blair not Brown.
    Either way. Blair was PM going in to the election, but everyone knew he was stepping down for Brown at some point during the next Parliament. Brown was the one who eventually signed Lisbon, so I'm more than happy giving him the blame.
  • Options

I don't understand this obsession with a customs union either. On its own it doesn't solve NI. Surely an eventual free trade agreement does everything the custom union does but without the restrictions and loss of sovereignty?

What am I missing?

Nothing as far as I can see. You are absolutely right. It is a very bad route to take whether you are a Remain or a Leave supporter. Unless of course one is part of that small but vociferous bunch of nutters who want to see Brexit happen and fail disastrously as some sort of punishment for having dared to challenge the EU hegemony.
  • Options

What am I missing?

Nothing as far as I can see. You are absolutely right. It is a very bad route to take whether you are a Remain or a Leave supporter. Unless of course one is part of that small but vociferous bunch of nutters who want to see Brexit happen and fail disastrously as some sort of punishment for having dared to challenge the EU hegemony.
    I'm convinced that either MPs don't know what they are voting for, or are deliberately choosing something that they know Theresa May can't agree to but looks a bit like Brexit.

Someone should grill a few on what they think a customs union actually is.

EFTA is however a perfectly reasonable compromise position.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Had Cameron simply won most seats again and not won quite as many LD seats as he did which gave him an overall majority in 2015 he would have remained PM as head of the Coalition with Clegg staying on as DPM, there would have been no EUref in 2015 and Cameron would probably still be PM today. PM Miliband though would have had a far more unstable confidence and supply arrangement with the SNP and faced opposition from the left to any plans he had to cut the deficit.

So Cameron might well have been right, just not in the way he intended.
    Being right but only in some counterfactual imaginary world that never came to pass is more commonly known as being wrong
  • Options
    edited April 2019

What am I missing?

I'm convinced that either MPs don't know what they are voting for, or are deliberately choosing something that they know Theresa May can't agree to but looks a bit like Brexit.

Except it has free movement, hence Labour MPs from Leave seats are more likely to back a Customs Union than EFTA. Indeed perhaps surprisingly Deltapoll today had more Tory voters favouring a Customs Union than EFTA too and May's Deal plus Customs Union was the most favoured option for voters as a whole on a net basis followed by Common Market 2.0 which is EEA and a temporary Customs Union but aiming to move to EFTA.

Personally I think EFTA is the best long term solution but the free movement issue may mean it is not on the cards for a few more years until EU migration to the UK has fallen further
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

What am I missing?

Except it has free movement, hence Labour MPs from Leave seats are more likely to back a Customs Union than EFTA. Indeed perhaps surprisingly Deltapoll today had more Tory voters favouring a Customs Union than EFTA too and May's Deal plus Customs Union was the most favoured option for voters as a whole on a net basis followed by Common Market 2.0 which is EEA and a temporary Customs Union but aiming to move to EFTA.

Personally I think EFTA is the best long term solution but the free issue may mean it is not on the cards for a few more years until EU migration to the UK has fallen further
    EFTA might appeal to the liberal middle classes with their Eastern Europe hired help who want to retire to the Algarve or Tuscany - but for Labour MPs in leave leaning seats (and most Tory MPs too) ending freedom of movement is what their working class and C2 voters care about.

May's deal plus a customs union - however much a bad idea - allows that promise to end FOM in its current form to be delivered. EFTA - unless perhaps we can develop Iceland and Norway's extremely high cost of living (which makes it hard for new arrivals on low incomes to survive) - does not.

In reality of course we already have control over non EU immigration - and supposedly hardline Theresa May has been unable to reduce that in any meaningful way.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    edited April 2019
    Deleted - blockquote disaster
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

What am I missing?

The key word is “eventual”. It will take 5-10 years to agree
  • Options
    Has Letwin decided on the voting system yet?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

124,000 at the end of 2017. Now, I would guess something over 150,000.
    Why do you think the figure is rising? I thought all Conservatives were bewildered and dismayed.
This discussion has been closed.