Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options

isam said:

IanB2 said:

The power of government to duck the hard choices facing the country has simply moved to MPs who are doing their best to duck the same hard choices. Bercow could force MPs back to reality but does he have the political capital to be able to do so, when so many are in denial?

Revocation is looking increasingly sensible.

The country already made the hard choice. So has the government to a degree... parliament is making the easy choice of ignoring it and hoping it will go away, like a smoker deciding not to give up after the doctor told him to... it will catch up with them in the end
    The hard choice was made in 1975 which you choose to ignore.
    We didn't join the EU in 1975.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

There's no majority for a second referendum in parliament. That's why this is a "confirmatory vote" they are legislating for a yes/no question and it seems to have tricked second referendum types into believing that labour are actually in favour of one (which entirely what the proposal exists to do).

It's more Labour can kicking of the variety of "we oppose whatever the Tories are doing, but aren't commiting to anything ourselves". May isn't the only one can kicking throughout this process.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Major elections this year:

Israel, 9th April
    India, 11th April to 19th May
    Finland, 14th April
    Indonesia, 17th April
    Spain, 28th April
    South Africa, 8th May
    Australia, by 18th May (House and Senate) or 2nd November (House only)
    Belgium, 26th May
    Denmark, by 17th June
    Portugal, by 6th October
    Greece, by 20th October
    Canada, by 21st October
    Argentina, 27th October
    Ukraine, 27th October
    Poland, by November
    Sri Lanka, by 9th December
    Switzerland, (2019)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elections_in_2019

Any bets on how long it takes the Belgians to form a government?
    I'm guessing that's a rhetorical question.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Major elections this year:

Israel, 9th April
    India, 11th April to 19th May
    Finland, 14th April
    Indonesia, 17th April
    Spain, 28th April
    South Africa, 8th May
    Australia, by 18th May (House and Senate) or 2nd November (House only)
    Belgium, 26th May
    Denmark, by 17th June
    Portugal, by 6th October
    Greece, by 20th October
    Canada, by 21st October
    Argentina, 27th October
    Ukraine, 27th October
    Poland, by November
    Sri Lanka, by 9th December
    Switzerland, (2019)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elections_in_2019

The European Union needs to be added

And Good night again
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Foxy said:

FWIW, Electoral maps have tommorows results:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1110602936353214464?s=19

So the problem with this is: Say Parliament votes for SM+CU, then votes through the WA with a rider saying "we're totally doing SM+CU". Is TMay or any other Tory PM really going to go off and negotiate a deal that includes free movement? And once they do, how many of the people who are currently supporting it going to keep supporting it?
    Is the plan to get the WA through then go to the country knowing this parliament can't bind the next one?
    Ye, here's the crucial thing. Once we've left, rejoining becomes a hell of alot harder. A political aspiration to agree a SM and CU, well that isn't legally binding and could be overtaken by... events. Only the WA is binding !
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    edited March 2019
    The Independent's John Rentoul on twitter has been crunching the numbers. I think he's out on a few but not by a great deal. Rough figures don't make for happy reading:

WA defeated by 100-150 votes, in theory, but won't be voted on.

Of the motions and amendments likely to be called (and some not).

#CCU (Snell) defeated by 100 votes
    Kyle-Wilson defeated by 130 votes
    Boles Common Market 2.0 defeated by 190 votes
    Revoke defeated by about 460 votes
    No deal defeated by about 500 votes
    WA+SM (Eustice) defeated by about 550 votes
    Malthouse defeated by about 550 votes

Thought Parliament could sort it out. Now we here.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Danny565 said:

Andrea Jenkyns on Newsnight saying she still won't back the deal even if Theresa May quits.

I blame TSE!
    Why? Would Ed Balls have backed the deal?
    Tbh, I think he'd be where Corbyn is sitting and we'd have got rid of May in 2017.
    If he was sitting where Corbyn is sitting there'd have been no 2017 election.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

isam said:

IanB2 said:

The power of government to duck the hard choices facing the country has simply moved to MPs who are doing their best to duck the same hard choices. Bercow could force MPs back to reality but does he have the political capital to be able to do so, when so many are in denial?

The country already made the hard choice. So has the government to a degree... parliament is making the easy choice of ignoring it and hoping it will go away, like a smoker deciding not to give up after the doctor told him to... it will catch up with them in the end
    1972 - Statement from the Prime Minister

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1972/oct/23/european-communities-summit-conference-1

The main decision of the summit conference was that the member States of the Community affirmed their intention to transform the whole complex of their relations into a European Union by the end of the decade. The institutions of the Community are to report on the subject by the end of 1975. The enlarged Community reaffirmed its determination to progress towards economic and monetary union; and it was fully accepted that progress in economic co-operation must move in parallel with progress in monetary co-operation.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

...which again opens the possibility of "no deal". Jeez, what a mess.
    How?
    What happens if the people say no?
    Revoke
    That's insane. There was a referendum. Yes, I know it was only advisory but it should at least be tried. You can't set up an implausible series of events then say "Naah, let's not bother". The public would go apeshit and they would be right to do so.
    If the public go apeshit they will vote for the HoC approved deal rather than Remain won't they!
    Where is remain an option, it's a yes/no approval ballot. The no option brings the process back to this step.
    Have you seen the wording of the ballot already?
    It's a "confirmatory" referendum. It has to be a Yes/No question.
    The closest I can think of is the Greek referendum on the austerity deal. That was a stupid idea as well.
    Worth noting that ignoring the referendum has done Tsipras no harm.

His party has trailed the opposition ever since.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That seems a very high estimate for single market and customs union. I feel like if there was enough backing for that softest of soft brexits things would have played out differently before now.
    I would be very happy with that outcome and have been a supporter of it since the vote. It respects the result and strikes a compromise based on the fact that half the country want to Remain. Let’s do it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    May as well make our own predictions. Entirely without any methodology:

Single Market Deal: Lose by 20
    Free Trade Agreement: Lose by 40
    2nd Ref: Lose by 30
    Customs Union Deal: Lose by 50
    May's Deal: Lose by 160 (yes, more than MV2, I think even fewer have reason to back it now that the door is opened to other options)
    No Deal: Lose by 480
    Revoke A50: Lose by 485
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    I think one thing we can say about the Tories is that they have always been pretty gender fluid when it comes to eviscerating their leaders. :D
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Drutt said:

The Independent's John Rentoul on twitter has been crunching the numbers. I think he's out on a few but not by a great deal. Rough figures don't make for happy reading:

Of the amendments likely to be called (and some not).

That's on first choices though. Who you gonna call
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Drutt said:

I think he’s got it totally wrong. Lots of MPs will vote for all the soft Brexit options. They won’t all be defeated by 100 votes.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

So the problem with this is: Say Parliament votes for SM+CU, then votes through the WA with a rider saying "we're totally doing SM+CU". Is TMay or any other Tory PM really going to go off and negotiate a deal that includes free movement? And once they do, how many of the people who are currently supporting it going to keep supporting it?
    Is the plan to get the WA through then go to the country knowing this parliament can't bind the next one?
    Ye, here's the crucial thing. Once we've left, rejoining becomes a hell of alot harder. A political aspiration to agree a SM and CU, well that isn't legally binding and could be overtaken by... events. Only the WA is binding !
    Exactly, the Letwinners can only guide this government not a subsequent one. Get out and run on whatever future arrangement you like and negotiate it if you win.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That seems a very high estimate for single market and customs union. I feel like if there was enough backing for that softest of soft brexits things would have played out differently before now.
    I would be very happy with that outcome and have been a supporter of it since the vote. It respects the result and strikes a compromise based on the fact that half the country want to Remain. Let’s do it.
    I'm sure I recall SeanT saying the same thing in the aftermath of the referendum :)

It does have that logic though. Just under half wanted in, but just over half wanted out, so you get out, but not much of an out. Everyone is unhappy but never mind.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Less than 100 backing Malthouse seems low end.

Interesting we have a forecast for CM 2.0 to be overwhelmingly defeated by Rentoul yet the other forecast just posted is for it to be narrowly passed. That's a very wide divergence.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    They’re seeing sense at last.

On the eve of GE 2015, a referendum being offered was about 4-5/1... winning said referendum was probably the same price, people holding out for a pure outcome need to get real & stop pushing their luck.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Drutt said:

I think he’s got it totally wrong. Lots of MPs will vote for all the soft Brexit options. They won’t all be defeated by 100 votes.
    I think so too. The original customs union amendment only lost by a handful when there was much less pressure.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

The bottom for can be eliminated, then go for preference voting for the top three, plus May's Deal.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

How?
    Revoke
    That's insane. There was a referendum. Yes, I know it was only advisory but it should at least be tried. You can't set up an implausible series of events then say "Naah, let's not bother". The public would go apeshit and they would be right to do so.
    If the public go apeshit they will vote for the HoC approved deal rather than Remain won't they!
    Where is remain an option, it's a yes/no approval ballot. The no option brings the process back to this step.
    The closest I can think of is the Greek referendum on the austerity deal. That was a stupid idea as well.
    Worth noting that ignoring the referendum has done Tsipras no harm.

His party has trailed the opposition ever since.
    He made a very smart call to have an early election not long after he capitulated.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

How?
    Revoke
    In case it is No, the EU will require us to undertake the elections for MEPs.
  • Options
    isam said:

On the eve of GE 2015, a referendum being offered was about 4-5/1... winning said referendum was probably the same price, people holding out for a pure outcome need to get real & stop pushing their luck.
    Where do you get that from? On the eve of GE 2015 a referendum being offered was Tory policy.
  • Options
    isam said:

Too little too late. Even if every member of the ERG voted for May's deal (which they won't) it still won't pass without significant Labour and DUP support which isn't happening.
  • Options

isam said:

Where do you get that from? On the eve of GE 2015 a referendum being offered was Tory policy.
    They were about 13/2 to win a majority, and I think they would have been odds on to wriggle out of it if the coalition had continued
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    edited March 2019
    Wow. Has Theresa really now got both Rees-Mogg and Boris on her mantelpiece? But how on earth do they square that with their previous assertions that No Deal would be just fine and dandy and Theresa's deal is worse than Remain?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The bottom for can be eliminated, then go for preference voting for the top three, plus May's Deal.

Yup, it's not rocket science. I mean, I'm sure they'll somehow find a way to somehow fuck it up, but it shouldn't be an intractable problem.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Too little too late. Even if every member of the ERG voted for May's deal (which they won't) it still won't pass without significant Labour and DUP support which isn't happening.
    If it gets 300+ Tory MPs enough opposition MPs will be bought. It would need an additional 5 Labour switchers and 10 abstainers to ensure it passed. Eaay enough. The tough part is getting the WA to 300+ Tory MPs.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

They were about 13/2 to win a majority, and I think they would have been odds on to wriggle out of it if the coalition had continued
    Cameron said he would not form any Coalition that didn't honour the pledge, that if he couldn't honour the pledge he would resign.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Wow. Has Theresa really now got both Rees-Mogg and Boris on her mantelpiece? But how on earth do they square that with there previous assertions that No Deal would be just fine and dandy and Theresa's deal is worse than Remain?
    And if we have the humiliation of a 2nd referendum, Mays Deal vs Remain, clips of them slagging it off will be on loop
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Yup, it's not rocket science. I mean, I'm sure they'll somehow find a way to somehow fuck it up, but it shouldn't be an intractable problem.
    I remain sceptical.
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142

isam said:

IanB2 said:

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1972/oct/23/european-communities-summit-conference-1

The main decision of the summit conference was that the member States of the Community affirmed their intention to transform the whole complex of their relations into a European Union by the end of the decade. The institutions of the Community are to report on the subject by the end of 1975. The enlarged Community reaffirmed its determination to progress towards economic and monetary union; and it was fully accepted that progress in economic co-operation must move in parallel with progress in monetary co-operation.
    Confirming that we didn’t join the EU in 1975.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960

isam said:

IanB2 said:

No one now under the age of 62 had any part in that choice.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Cameron said he would not form any Coalition that didn't honour the pledge, that if he couldn't honour the pledge he would resign.
    Yeah he said he wouldn’t resign if Leave won too
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Ye the number of Labour votes May's deal can attract is limited as the lexit hardliners like Ronnie Campbell, Skinner and Hoey (Include Corbyn if you like :D ) will never support it; and the Gov't have managed to rub potential softer support like Nandy up the wrong way. Which leaves a very particular group of Brexity Labour MPs who aren't ultra Brexit but just Brexit enough. Flint, Mann, Barron and possibly Snell on a good day. Its a small bunch, the lot that block Brexit blocking stuff is bigger at around 8 consistent rebels.
  • Options

Wow. Has Theresa really now got both Rees-Mogg and Boris on her mantelpiece? But how on earth do they square that with there previous assertions that No Deal would be just fine and dandy and Theresa's deal is worse than Remain?
    If they follow through and do back it then they will presumably claim the situation has changed in that parliament is now set to reverse Brexit for real, or endorse something so soft it makes no difference, and that they don't believe no deal is achievable even though they think it would be fine.

Which wouldn't answer their comments or hints that the deal was worse than remain (I forget exactly what each has said on the matter) but would also rather suggest they have absolutely no ability to see more than one step ahead, since parliament taking us down this sort of route, which might lead to no brexit or much softer brexits, was very very obvious for some time.
  • Options
    trawl said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

Confirming that we knew it would become the EU before we joined.

PS. 1975 was the referendum. We joined in 1973.
  • Options

Never mind "in case it's no", you'll need to elect MEPs to give you time to actually hold the referendum.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

But if May's deal came out top of the indicative votes, that might be enough.
    If I was the ERG, I would say to May that they would back her deal in the indicative votes, if she whipped for it, and dare the Tory Remainers/Soft Brexiters to trash the Tory party by breaking the whip.
  • Options
    Nigel Evans comes out as a would-be Remainer.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1110668007842430976
  • Options
    kle4 said:

May as well make our own predictions. Entirely without any methodology:

Single Market Deal: Lose by 20
    Free Trade Agreement: Lose by 40
    2nd Ref: Lose by 30
    Customs Union Deal: Lose by 50
    May's Deal: Lose by 160 (yes, more than MV2, I think even fewer have reason to back it now that the door is opened to other options)
    No Deal: Lose by 480
    Revoke A50: Lose by 485

I'm pretty sure May's Deal will do better than that. Most Conservatives and independents who are willing to support soft Brexit will want to keep it as an option, as will some Conservatives who favour hard Brexit. The DUP are the only ones who would favour anything apart from her deal.

I think the margin of defeat for second ref will be much bigger, given the way that it's been drafted to put off soft Brexiteers.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Ye the number of Labour votes May's deal can attract is limited as the lexit hardliners like Ronnie Campbell, Skinner and Hoey (Include Corbyn if you like :D ) will never support it; and the Gov't have managed to rub potential softer support like Nandy up the wrong way. Which leaves a very particular group of Brexity Labour MPs who aren't ultra Brexit but just Brexit enough. Flint, Mann, Barron and possibly Snell on a good day. Its a small bunch, the lot that block Brexit blocking stuff is bigger at around 8 consistent rebels.
    If it was close then I think the chancellor's warchest gets opened for their areas and they have a change of heart.
  • Options

Wow. Has Theresa really now got both Rees-Mogg and Boris on her mantelpiece? But how on earth do they square that with their previous assertions that No Deal would be just fine and dandy and Theresa's deal is worse than Remain?
    There is no practical route to No Deal with the HoC having taken control. That is how they can justify it. And it has been clear for a while that May's Shit Deal would not get renegotiated by May. And not by the HoC.

The ERG will fracture into oblivion. Send neither flowers nor donations.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

But if May's deal came out top of the indicative votes, that might be enough.
    If I was the ERG, I would say to May that they would back her deal in the indicative votes, if she whipped for it, and dare the Tory Remainers/Soft Brexiters to trash the Tory party by breaking the whip.
    That would have worked if they'd done it three months ago but it's too late to shock people at the disloyalty of breaking the whip now.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

There is no practical route to No Deal with the HoC having taken control. That is how they can justify it. And it has been clear for a while that May's Shit Deal would not get renegotiated by May. And not by the HoC.

However, even with most of the ERG on side, that's still not enough to get May's deal through the Commons.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Which made sense as otherwise people would vote Leave to get rid of him when they should have been voting on the matter at hand.

He couldn't have survived going back on that pledge. It was a pledge given to quell his own MPs after nearly 100 voted for a referendum in 2012. If he backtracked he would have torn the party apart.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Isn't Whats App supposed to be private?

Why don' t they all join PB and have it out on here. We'd welcome them! :D
  • Options
    Identical verbs ?

Is Peston "is hearing"
    Newton Dunn "posts" a Whatsapp screenshot...
  • Options

isam said:

IanB2 said:

Theresa May was only 18 years old at the time of that referendum.
  • Options

I am glad they are coming round to the deal but actually I still believe your basic comment about No Deal is wrong. The HoC cannot force May to revoke short of a VoNC. Now of course they may do that but 'having taken control' does not rule out their being No Deal as long as they refuse to endorse an alternative. The EU has confirmed it will only deal with May for as long as she is PM so until she decides to revoke instead of No Deal the risk remains.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Which made sense as otherwise people would vote Leave to get rid of him when they should have been voting on the matter at hand.

He couldn't have survived going back on that pledge. It was a pledge given to quell his own MPs after nearly 100 voted for a referendum in 2012. If he backtracked he would have torn the party apart.
    The Lib Dem’s flagship policy in 2010 was to scrap tuition fees. In order to satisfy their coalition partners they voted to treble them.
  • Options

Never mind "in case it's no", you'll need to elect MEPs to give you time to actually hold the referendum.
    I can't see why we need a lengthy confirmatory referendum campaign though. No longer than a GE should be needed. Just get it done.....
  • Options

trawl said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

Thanks for the PS. Got that thanks. The original post raising the issue was the one saying that the hard decision was made in 1975. I infer the author meant that the referendum to stay in the EEC (no loss of sovereignty honest guv) after having been taken in without referendum in 1973 also counted as a referendum to join the EU. Debatable is putting it mildly.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

However, even with most of the ERG on side, that's still not enough to get May's deal through the Commons.
    It might, if nothing else is favoured.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

The Lib Dem’s flagship policy in 2010 was to scrap tuition fees. In order to satisfy their coalition partners they voted to treble them.
    And they were junior partners and it destroyed the party.

You think Cameron as senior partner in a coalition would trash his flagship policy that he needed to keep his own MPs on board?
  • Options

I can't see why we need a lengthy confirmatory referendum campaign though. No longer than a GE should be needed. Just get it done.....
    If parliament was decisive it could be expedited but even so 16 days would be logistically tough...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

It might, if nothing else is favoured.
    Get May's deal close then formally chop off the PD.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Most MPs do not have Dr Palmer's thick skin.

But yes, so many of these things get leaked, it must be hard to have some actual serious discussions in Westminster.
  • Options
    trawl said:

trawl said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

Thanks for the PS. Got that thanks. The original post raising the issue was the one saying that the hard decision was made in 1975. I infer the author meant that the referendum to stay in the EEC (no loss of sovereignty honest guv) after having been taken in without referendum in 1973 also counted as a referendum to join the EU. Debatable is putting it mildly.
    Were you around at the time?

https://twitter.com/Jim_Cornelius/status/1104305338424143872
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

And they were junior partners and it destroyed the party.

You think Cameron as senior partner in a coalition would trash his flagship policy that he needed to keep his own MPs on board?
    4-5/1 was too big, it was probably more like 9/4.

He could have kicked it into the long grass for sure. There was no need to rush. What price would we have been not to have left the EU by April 2019 in June 2016?
  • Options

'Clean Global Brexit'?

These desperate bloody chancers.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Most MPs do not have Dr Palmer's thick skin.

But yes, so many of these things get leaked, it must be hard to have some actual serious discussions in Westminster.
    We get a live commentary on Cabinet meetings.
  • Options

trawl said:

trawl said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

Were you around at the time?

https://twitter.com/Jim_Cornelius/status/1104305338424143872
    Yes but a bit young, more engaged with it at the time of Maastricht tbh. IMHO there had to a referendum at that point and all of the issues since derive from the Europhiles being too scared to have one and make the honest case for their vision (wouldn’t have convinced me but who knows they might have convinced enough). But there it is.

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited March 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

And that worked out... well... for them?
  • Options

'Clean Global Brexit'?

These desperate bloody chancers.
    That's what they believe in, a clean break. They've made no secret about that.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

It worked out badly. As will the Tories failure to make good on their promise to honour the Brexit vote
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

I was 10 and I have had to suffer the consequences for almost my whole life.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    On topic. I don't think Trumps insults make that much difference, but I too have written off Biden and Sanders as too old. Thats with 2 years before even taking office, and the Dems want two terms.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

How exactly have you suffered?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

How exactly have you suffered?
    He has to suffer straight bananas.
  • Options
    isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

It worked out badly. As will the Tories failure to make good on their promise to honour the Brexit vote
    Oh, sorry, I apparently misinterpreted your comment as claiming that Cameron could have got out of his manifesto commitments.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Endillion said:

isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Oh, sorry, I apparently misinterpreted your comment as claiming that Cameron could have got out of his manifesto commitments.
    I think there was wiggle room for him if he hadn’t won a majority. Look at the situation we are in now... a referendum was held and we were told it would be the final decision. Two parties promising to implement the vote win 84% of votes at the following GE, and 3 years later we haven’t left, and look every day more like never leaving. Cameron also promised a referendum on the Lisbon treaty
  • Options
    isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I think there was wiggle room for him if he hadn’t won a majority
    Probably. Although, Clegg was advocating an in/out referendum as early as 2008, but mysteriously lost the appetite for it once in Government.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Ripley protocol-level nuclear option here:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1110680083688312833
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    MIchael Buerk's comment(s) about the BBC was the most interesting thing I read about today:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/26/bbc-has-become-spends-much-time-worrying-gender-race-diversity/

"The BBC is so preoccupied with diversity and gender balance that it has become less representative of the country it serves, according to Michael Buerk.

The former foreign correspondent and news anchor said the corporation spends too much time worrying about paying women as “fabulously” as men.

It is dominated by a metropolitan middle class, he claimed, adding that the imminent departure of John Humphrys from Radio 4’s Today programme is a loss because he is that rare thing: a BBC presenter from a working class background with no university education."
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    People keep using this statistic that "almost every MP got elected on a manifesto promising to vote for Brexit", and that they're breaking that promise ... but in fact, almost every MP HAS voted for one form of Brexit.

Virtually every Tory MP has voted for either a May Deal Brexit or No Deal Brexit

Virtually every Labour MP has voted for a Corbyn Customs Union Brexit

Hell, even the Lib Dems and SNP voted for a Single Market Brexit in June 2017, despite being elected on manifestos opposed to any form of Brexit.
  • Options
    isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I think there was wiggle room for him if he hadn’t won a majority.
    There's no wriggle room in what he says here: "I will not lead a government that does not deliver that pledge."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo9D2H3bi4U
  • Options
    Boris Johnson gets worse...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/26/peoples-day-jubilation-has-hijacked-spineless-pirates/

This was meant to have been a week of national jubilation. It was meant to be the week when church bells were rung, coins struck, stamps issued and bonfires lit to send beacons of freedom from hilltop to hilltop. This was the Friday when Charles Moore’s retainers were meant to be weaving through the moonlit lanes of Sussex, half blind with scrumpy, singing Brexit shanties at the tops of their voices and beating the hedgerows with staves.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    FWIW I heard from a well-placed Democrat - someone who is really well plugged in at a high level, to the extent of being on the Hillary campaign's conference calls every morning up to the last election - that Biden had personally told my contact that he wasn't going to run. Now, to be fair, this conversation took place some time ago, and perhaps Biden has changed his mind. Make of it what you will; personally I don't think it rules out a Biden bid, but does he really have the energy and hunger to go for it as whole-heartedly as he would need to?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/26/peoples-day-jubilation-has-hijacked-spineless-pirates/

This was meant to have been a week of national jubilation. It was meant to be the week when church bells were rung, coins struck, stamps issued and bonfires lit to send beacons of freedom from hilltop to hilltop. This was the Friday when Charles Moore’s retainers were meant to be weaving through the moonlit lanes of Sussex, half blind with scrumpy, singing Brexit shanties at the tops of their voices and beating the hedgerows with staves.

Blimey, another one that has been driven mad.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    RoyalBlue said:

isam said:

The House of Commons is a, & is in, complete disgrace.

The grandest establishment of the land is acting like a celebrity getting off a ban for speeding on a technicality by hiring an expensive lawyer, filibustering the voters in order to deny them what was promised to be ‘your decision’ in a ‘once in a generation vote’. Absolutely disgusting.

Where in the legislation setting up the referendum did it say it would be acted upon?
    It is a convention in this country, and most successful societies, families or firms, that promises are kept. The government promised the result of the referendum would be enacted.

The number of Liberal Democrat MPs returned in the 2015 election shows what happens when politicians adopt a carefree attitude to solemn commitments. The public don’t like it.
    But the Government which made that promise - David Cameron's - no longer exists!
  • Options
    Biden is only 3 and a half years older than Trump. If Trump has the energy, Biden ought to have almost as much.
  • Options

Truly bonkers!

• Options

isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

There's no wriggle room in what he says here: "I will not lead a government that does not deliver that pledge."

What was his answer when Douglas Carswell asked him if he would stay in office to implement the British people’s decision if they voted to leave?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-36038059/eu-referendum-carswell-asks-cameron-about-uk-brexit
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    justin124 said:

RoyalBlue said:

isam said:

The grandest establishment of the land is acting like a celebrity getting off a ban for speeding on a technicality by hiring an expensive lawyer, filibustering the voters in order to deny them what was promised to be ‘your decision’ in a ‘once in a generation vote’. Absolutely disgusting.

Where in the legislation setting up the referendum did it say it would be acted upon?
    It is a convention in this country, and most successful societies, families or firms, that promises are kept. The government promised the result of the referendum would be enacted.

The number of Liberal Democrat MPs returned in the 2015 election shows what happens when politicians adopt a carefree attitude to solemn commitments. The public don’t like it.
    But the Government which made that promise - David Cameron's - no longer exists!
    HMG carries on whoever leads it.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

I don't think so. While the likes of Adonis/Grayling and many ERGers certainly qualify, Boris is something else. He's just a slimy BS merchant. I doubt he cares much either way.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

What was his answer when Douglas Carswell asked him if he would stay in office to implement the British people’s decision if they voted to leave?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-36038059/eu-referendum-carswell-asks-cameron-about-uk-brexit
    That's very different. Of course he has to answer yes, but it was clear that having fronted a referendum campaign and lost, he couldn't carry on. If he'd tried, the ERG would have forced him out. It was naive of Carswell to even ask the question.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Bozo the media whore will come out for the deal and be paraded as the saviour !

The only good thing about the deal going through is it gives those lucky enough 18 months to escape the right wing takeover of the UK !

• Options

FWIW I heard from a well-placed Democrat - someone who is really well plugged in at a high level, to the extent of being on the Hillary campaign's conference calls every morning up to the last election - that Biden had personally told my contact that he wasn't going to run. Now, to be fair, this conversation took place some time ago, and perhaps Biden has changed his mind. Make of it what you will; personally I don't think it rules out a Biden bid, but does he really have the energy and hunger to go for it as whole-heartedly as he would need to?

Thanks for sharing that. He definitely has form for kind-of sounding like he might be in, leaving things quite late, then announcing that he's not running.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

"Whom the Gods would destroy they first make mad".
  • Options

Speaking of which, is there anywhere I can buy remaindered celebratory brexit kitsch, friends might appreciate a "March 29th, 2019 Independence Day" mug or whatever.
  • Options
    isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I think there was wiggle room for him if he hadn’t won a majority. Look at the situation we are in now... a referendum was held and we were told it would be the final decision. Two parties promising to implement the vote win 84% of votes at the following GE, and 3 years later we haven’t left, and look every day more like never leaving. Cameron also promised a referendum on the Lisbon treaty
    Not this Lisbon nonsense again. He promised a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty before it was ratified for the forthcoming election [that never was]. Brown cancelled the election and then ratified Lisbon and Cameron immediately said that since Lisbon was now ratified he could no longer hold a referendum on it. Before the 2010 election.
  • Options

Speaking of which, is there anywhere I can buy remaindered celebratory brexit kitsch, friends might appreciate a "March 29th, 2019 Independence Day" mug or whatever.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=brexit+mug&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=brexit+29th+march&_sacat=0
  • Options

Someone has a signed copy of the article 50 bill

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/04/article-50-bill-autographed-by-pm-to-be-auctioned-at-tory-dinner
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Ripley protocol-level nuclear option here:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1110680083688312833

It's how Major got Maastricht through.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    notme2 said:

justin124 said:

RoyalBlue said:

isam said:

HMG carries on whoever leads it.
    Indeed so - but no Government is bound by its predecessors!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Biden is only 3 and a half years older than Trump. If Trump has the energy, Biden ought to have almost as much.

How does that follow? I'm sure we all know people younger than both who would not have the energy for example. He might still have it he might not.
This discussion has been closed.