Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Both TMay and Corbyn drop to record lows in YouGov’s favourabi

Comments

• Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

The Countryside Alliance march? Was that the one when all the bumpkins came to London to thank them for subsidising their lifestyle so heavily?

I went on that march, just for the lolz

What amazed me was the physical beauty of the girls (and boys, to be fair). Posh country English folk have very lovely daughters (with excellent teeth, and lovely honey blonde or russet red hair). It was like a parade of the best of Hitler Youth, only they were obsessed with killing foxes not Jews.

Right wing women are hotter than lefties. It's a universal truth.
    Reactionary dilemma, who was hotter, Unity or Jessica Mitford?

Nb neither all that, but at least JM was smart & funny.
    Diana for me.
    Hmm, you have ice maiden tendencies I see.
    I've forgotten. How did it go against

KAZAKHSTAN????
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Does anyone have email addresses for those eight magnificently gullible Remain ministers? I have some magic beans going cheap I am sure they’ll be interested in buying.

The best strategy for them is to save resignations for the moment, if it arrives, where a no deal decision is about to be made. They'll take a big chunk of their party with them, be able to bring down the government and opt for an alternative course, and have politics students writing essays about them in a hundred years time. Compared with that why walk out just now, when the tide appears to be flowing in their direction?

I just don’t see how things are flowing their way. Letwin Cooper Boles will Gail by more votes than last time, May’s Deal will fail, which means that something else has to happen to prevent No Deal. What will that be when the ERG congenitally disloyal and the Soft Brexiteers are so supine?

Indefinite extension, including contesting the EU Parliament elections, May made clear to day she is prepared to extend forever until the Commons passes her Deal
    She needs a reason to extend. What will it be? That said, I accept the EU will be very accommodating in that respect, we now know they are as terrified of No Deal as us, if not more - for us No Deal at least honours the referendum (settling one issue), and clears the deck, and we become a truly independent country.

For them No Deal is nothing but bad bad bad - Ireland in shock, several economies taking a hit (as they head into recession), and the EU permanently reduced and politically shrivelled, and lots of blame being handed around the Berlaymont,
    The absolute worst case scenario for the EU is we leave with No Deal, and it turns out to be not very serious. At that point they run the risk of several other dissatisfied countries following suit. That I think is why they should be afraid of it.

I'm not saying a No Deal wouldn't be very serious for us BTW, just that if it isn't a demonstrable irrefutable disaster that would be more damaging to the EU than us leaving with a deal.
    I'm sure there are a number of governments absolutely itching to embark on this process.
    There are.

That's why they need Brexit to be a total disaster.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

The Countryside Alliance march? Was that the one when all the bumpkins came to London to thank them for subsidising their lifestyle so heavily?

What amazed me was the physical beauty of the girls (and boys, to be fair). Posh country English folk have very lovely daughters (with excellent teeth, and lovely honey blonde or russet red hair). It was like a parade of the best of Hitler Youth, only they were obsessed with killing foxes not Jews.

Diana for me.
    I have standards, it is just they are lower than everybody else's.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

You can imagine the more nuttier* elements of the ERG putting burning EU flags in the gardens of EU citizens living in the UK.

*Horrendous tautology I know.

Remainers seem to want to label all leavers as nutters , hardly the way to reconcile a divided nation
    I guess English isn't your first language.

My comment was NOT directed at all leavers, I was precise in that it was focussed on the ERG.

I'm only using the language Leavers use towards the ERG.
    Little Englanders loons fruitcakes swivel eyed thickos racists amongst the other terms remainers have labelled leavers since the referendum.
    Horrendous straw man arguments from you when you're exposed as talking bollocks.
    Here's another one. Leavers - all 17.4 million of us, cannot appreciate art and are NECESSARILY philistines.

https://twitter.com/JANUSZCZAK/status/1109111214817316864

So we are thick, old, racist, stupid and hideously uncultured, kind of like bipedal geriatric monkeys, or something.

And these are the people that Remainers are trying to win to their cause, in a 2nd referendum.

I honestly think the grotesque snobbery, hypocrisy and elitism from Remainers would very likely make me vote Leave all over again. Remainers are just repulsive. They need to be taught a lesson. YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT. YOU NARCISSISTIC C*NTS.
    That's one of the reasons I don't want another referendum.

I think Remain would make the same mistakes over again.

Much better for us to leave and experience life outside the EU then decide if that's what we really want or to Rejoin.
    I completely agree. I have gone from thinking Remain would walk a 2nd vote to thinking: Jesus, they can't help themselves. Even when they are trying to "reach out" and understand the Leave vote they sound patronising, supercilious and impatient, when they are relaxing and chilled they are brutally snobbish, and openly contemptuous, of their fellow Brits who voted Leave.

All this de haut en bas hatred for the proles would be cruelly exposed in a 2nd campaign. Because Remainers have no clue how they sound to ordinary people.

So yes, I think you're right: Remain might easily lose again, possibly by an even bigger margin.
    Let them eat Pastel de Nata
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

IanB2 said:

The PM said quite specifically that recognising the view of the house, we wouldn't leave with no deal unless parliament so agreed.

The PM has recently contradicted various things she said quite specifically.
    For sure. But this statement, on something so critical, was really a recognition of the inevitable. And she knows that her party will break if we end there, so even by her own computation it isn't an acceptable outcome.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

IanB2 said:

The PM said quite specifically that recognising the view of the house, we wouldn't leave with no deal unless parliament so agreed.

The PM has recently contradicted various things she said quite specifically.

Anyone who believes a word of any promise Theresa May makes - or seems to make - is only setting themselves up for permanent disappointment. Along with John McDonnell she is the most shameless liar in British politics.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Gosh, the Scots have gone awfully quiet!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Does anyone have email addresses for those eight magnificently gullible Remain ministers? I have some magic beans going cheap I am sure they’ll be interested in buying.

The best strategy for them is to save resignations for the moment, if it arrives, where a no deal decision is about to be made. They'll take a big chunk of their party with them, be able to bring down the government and opt for an alternative course, and have politics students writing essays about them in a hundred years time. Compared with that why walk out just now, when the tide appears to be flowing in their direction?

I just don’t see how things are flowing their way. Letwin Cooper Boles will Gail by more votes than last time, May’s Deal will fail, which means that something else has to happen to prevent No Deal. What will that be when the ERG congenitally disloyal and the Soft Brexiteers are so supine?

Indefinite extension, including contesting the EU Parliament elections, May made clear to day she is prepared to extend forever until the Commons passes her Deal
    She needs a reason to extend. What will it be? That said, I accept the EU will be very accommodating in that respect, we now know they are as terrified of No Deal as us, if not more - for us No Deal at least honours the referendum (settling one issue), and clears the deck, and we become a truly independent country.

For them No Deal is nothing but bad bad bad - Ireland in shock, several economies taking a hit (as they head into recession), and the EU permanently reduced and politically shrivelled, and lots of blame being handed around the Berlaymont,
    Bring. It. On.

If they want to avoid No Deal they can compromise on the backstop. Their obstinancy means we have no options left but No Deal and it is with great regret.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Owen Smith's presumption that somehow another referendum shouldn't be one of the options Parliament gets to likely eliminate in any indicative votes process, and that it is somehow above all the options is an absolute nonsense.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

The absolute worst case scenario for the EU is we leave with No Deal, and it turns out to be not very serious. At that point they run the risk of several other dissatisfied countries following suit. That I think is why they should be afraid of it.

I'm not saying a No Deal wouldn't be very serious for us BTW, just that if it isn't a demonstrable irrefutable disaster that would be more damaging to the EU than us leaving with a deal.
    I'm sure there are a number of governments absolutely itching to embark on this process.
    There are.

Which ones?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    MaxPB said:

Gosh, the Scots have gone awfully quiet!

About the football team? No, god knows we know they're shite.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Who's going to have changed from backing Letwin last time to not this time. I don't understand what's changed?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:
    Isn't that the worst of both worlds? That whether it passes or not, it is very close? I'm with Philip_Thompson, I don't see what is changed, among those who backed last time at least.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Drutt said:

Oh bugger.....

Humbled by a small Balkan nation, which uses the Euro. Better get used to it.
    It hasn't aged well.
    It hasn't aged well.
    Araminta
    It hasn't aged well.
    I went with a cheap gag far too soon. Apologies.
    Accepted, and thank you for taking it in the good humour in which it was meant.

Govt saying Letwin will ease through, oppo benches reckon it won't. Everyone trying to convince Remainy ministers it's worth their vote.

What price tonight's vote is actually as tight as that, and is decided by Fiona Onasanya turning up on her tag to draw it, and Bercow casting against the Govt?
  • Options
    This England team actually plays lovely football. And scores a LOT.

Very seductive
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited March 2019

Drutt said:

Oh bugger.....

It hasn't aged well.
    It hasn't aged well.
    Araminta
    It hasn't aged well.
    It is never too soon for a cheap gag. I think that is one of PB's core tenets, first handed down on stone tablets by TSE as the word of OGH. Though who can say with prophets.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Diana for me.

KAZAKHSTAN????
    Drunken boor lurches into someone else's conversation.

'INGERLAAAND!!!'

A scene reproduced all over INGERLAAAND.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Drutt said:

Oh bugger.....

It hasn't aged well.
    It hasn't aged well.
    Araminta
    It hasn't aged well.
    It is never too soon for a cheap gag. I think that is one of PB's core tenets, first handed down on stone tablets by TSE as the word of OGH. Though who can say with prophets.
    Cheap gags are all I've got, really, which is why I enjoy using Twitter so much.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Diana for me.

KAZAKHSTAN????
    Drunken boor lurches into someone else's conversation.

'INGERLAAAND!!!'

A scene reproduced all over INGERLAAAND.

Ah. It hurt. I remember now.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    edited March 2019

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

There are.

Which ones?
    Shall we start with Hungary and Italy?

Anyway, I have a busy day tomorrow. I wish the company buenas noches.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Silly this from England at the end.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    SeanT said:

Very seductive

Never had a doubt! :)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Diana for me.
    Eva Braun for me.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668

SeanT said:

I completely agree. I have gone from thinking Remain would walk a 2nd vote to thinking: Jesus, they can't help themselves. Even when they are trying to "reach out" and understand the Leave vote they sound patronising, supercilious and impatient, when they are relaxing and chilled they are brutally snobbish, and openly contemptuous, of their fellow Brits who voted Leave.

All this de haut en bas hatred for the proles would be cruelly exposed in a 2nd campaign. Because Remainers have no clue how they sound to ordinary people.

So yes, I think you're right: Remain might easily lose again, possibly by an even bigger margin.

It isn't hatred just an inability to understand what makes a working class Northerner tick.

For example a few of us were amused that one of Stronger In's focus was that Brexit means the return of mobile roaming charges.

That means bugger all to a Leaver who can't afford to go on an overseas holiday.

I wonder what percentage of the overall Leave vote do not ever go on holidays abroad.

My view is that a second referendum would be pretty tight. The Leave side also has a huge amount of negativity to overcome, especially around those would be fronting it.

If Brexiteers are confident they will win a 2nd referendum why are they so set against one?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Who's going to have changed from backing Letwin last time to not this time. I don't understand what's changed?

Govt offered indicative votes later in the week. So they can support the Govt and still get indicative votes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Drutt said:

Oh bugger.....

It hasn't aged well.
    It hasn't aged well.
    Araminta
    It hasn't aged well.
    Cheap gags are the best.

This from July 2016 came back to haunt me.

Speaking as a Tory, every time I remember that Jeremy Corbyn is likely to be Labour leader at the next general election my reaction is similar to every time I remember that there’s a mineral called cummingtonite, it makes me laugh way too much.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/07/17/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-jeremy-corbyn-and-his-dire-polling/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Very seductive

As good as anyone going forward. Still too vulnerable at the back. But this is an England team able to play precise football at high pace. We haven’t been close to this standard for a very long time. We are properly competitive.

• Options
    That England game was like Peak Barcelona playing a substandard Polish team. Brutal, clinical yet somehow relaxed. Slotted 5 without really breaking a sweat.

Hmmmmm.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

SeanT said:

Very seductive

As good as anyone going forward. Still too vulnerable at the back. But this is an England team able to play precise football at high pace. We haven’t been close to this standard for a very long time. We are properly competitive.

To be fair England defence was missing a number of players.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

SeanT said:

It isn't hatred just an inability to understand what makes a working class Northerner tick.

For example a few of us were amused that one of Stronger In's focus was that Brexit means the return of mobile roaming charges.

That means bugger all to a Leaver who can't afford to go on an overseas holiday.

I wonder what percentage of the overall Leave vote do not ever go on holidays abroad.

My view is that a second referendum would be pretty tight. The Leave side also has a huge amount of negativity to overcome, especially around those would be fronting it.

If Brexiteers are confident they will win a 2nd referendum why are they so set against one?
    because it would not solve anything. Have another divisive vote to confirm the leave vote.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6847147/Labour-splits-Brexit-exposed-Peoples-Vote-march.html

Well at least shameless in honest

Shami Chakrabarti insisted a second referendum had 'never been our preference'.

• Options
    Drutt said:

Drutt said:

Oh bugger.....

It hasn't aged well.
    It hasn't aged well.
    Araminta
    It hasn't aged well.

Govt saying Letwin will ease through, oppo benches reckon it won't. Everyone trying to convince Remainy ministers it's worth their vote.

What price tonight's vote is actually as tight as that, and is decided by Fiona Onasanya turning up on her tag to draw it, and Bercow casting against the Govt?
    Drutt said:

Drutt said:

Oh bugger.....

It hasn't aged well.
    It hasn't aged well.
    Araminta
    It hasn't aged well.

I'm sure that's one occasion when Bercow would not follow precedent.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

SeanT said:

If you have bet, and it wins, why would you want to run the race again with the upside being the status quo, and the downside being lose everything?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:
    Isn't that the worst of both worlds? That whether it passes or not, it is very close? I'm with Philip_Thompson, I don't see what is changed, among those who backed last time at least.
    No, the margin is irrelevant, if it passes it passes and we finally get the indicative votes on the Brexit options
  • Options
    initforthemoneyinitforthemoney Posts: 736
    edited March 2019
    Cyclefree said:

If only MPs would listen to what the EU is saying.

A No Deal exit will happen on 12th April unless the Deal is voted for (unlikely), Article 50 is revoked (also unlikely) or Parliament decides to have a second referendum or a GE.

Debating and voting on other possibilities is pointless flim-flam.

If MPs don’t pick one of the above options, a No Deal exit will happen.

One hopes the penny drops before 12th April. I have my doubts.

Tusk said the same re: 29 March, but a few hours later it was 12 April.
  • Options
    Mighty Luxembourg are top of Group B ahead of Ukraine, Serbia and Portugal.

(It's probably an evil EU plot.)
  • Options

SeanT said:

Very seductive

And a lack of 'celeb' players, a manager with a cool head who knows how to get the best out of people and build a real team ethos.

Southgate is the best since the great and sadly late, Sir Bobby Robson.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Diana for me.
    Eva Braun for me.
    Having (I assume) a two ball advantage, you might have been in with a shout.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Very seductive

And a lack of 'celeb' players, a manager with a cool head who knows how to get the best out of people and build a real team ethos.

Southgate is the best since the great and sadly late, Sir Bobby Robson.
    And a thoroughly nice guy in my experience.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    isam said:

SeanT said:

If you have bet, and it wins, why would you want to run the race again with the upside being the status quo, and the downside being lose everything?
    It's not a bet though is it.

A better analogy would be a war: you win a battle, but it's not decisive; if you think you can win the next battle too - bring it on.

Edit: PS - especially if it looks like the enemy you beat in the 1st battle might starve you out in the long term.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

You can imagine the more nuttier* elements of the ERG putting burning EU flags in the gardens of EU citizens living in the UK.

*Horrendous tautology I know.

Remainers seem to want to label all leavers as nutters , hardly the way to reconcile a divided nation
    I guess English isn't your first language.

My comment was NOT directed at all leavers, I was precise in that it was focussed on the ERG.

I'm only using the language Leavers use towards the ERG.
    Little Englanders loons fruitcakes swivel eyed thickos racists amongst the other terms remainers have labelled leavers since the referendum.
    Horrendous straw man arguments from you when you're exposed as talking bollocks.
    Here's another one. Leavers - all 17.4 million of us, cannot appreciate art and are NECESSARILY philistines.

https://twitter.com/JANUSZCZAK/status/1109111214817316864

So we are thick, old, racist, stupid and hideously uncultured, kind of like bipedal geriatric monkeys, or something.

And these are the people that Remainers are trying to win to their cause, in a 2nd referendum.

I honestly think the grotesque snobbery, hypocrisy and elitism from Remainers would very likely make me vote Leave all over again. Remainers are just repulsive. They need to be taught a lesson. YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT. YOU NARCISSISTIC C*NTS.
    That's one of the reasons I don't want another referendum.

I think Remain would make the same mistakes over again.

Much better for us to leave and experience life outside the EU then decide if that's what we really want or to Rejoin.

Indeed. Let the Leave clusterfuck speak for itself.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Very seductive

Yes. I'd give us a sporting chance against any side in the world. Also we aren't totally reliant on one great player - Gascoigne, Rooney etc. This is a proper TEAM. We have stars like Kane but they aren't totally pivotal.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

It will still be in the top three biggest public attendance events ever in the UK, and probably the second after the Stop the Iraq War march of 2003.

The point they are making in that article is that numbers are always overestimated.
    On those numbers it would be third - the Countryside Alliance March of 2002 would be bigger.

Interesting list here, but it only goes up to 2011:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/mar/28/demonstrations-protests-uk-list
    The presumption is that the Countryside Alliance march numbers were also exaggerated on the same basis.
    No, CA marchers were counted individually through a gate.
    A farm gate?
    Presumably like those at a mass start in a marathon.
    IIRC it was a bank of turnstiles
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It's also absolute bollocks, which doesn't really help.

All four main companies have said they won't reintroduce roaming charges.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/13/brexit_mobile_roaming/

Smaller companies like giffgaff might just do it, but there is no incentive for the larger companies, and a massive disincentive, in terms of scaring their customers to alternative providers that don't charge,

The whole thrust of the industry is towards lower and lower roaming charges. I was charged £6 a day by Vodafone to have my entire UK data and calling plan.... in Vietnam, last month.

Vietnam??? That's not in the EU. Just £6? And I was only charged that fee - less than the cost of a sandwich and coffee in Pret - on the days I used it.

Eventually all this stuff will be free everywhere (i.e. you'll pay a domestic bill wherever you go).
    It is now with Three, including Vietnam. I had a holiday in Bali on my UK contract.

http://www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/vietnam
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Drutt said:

Is she allowed out that late? Surely some curfew applies.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Floater said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6847147/Labour-splits-Brexit-exposed-Peoples-Vote-march.html

I remember when Shami Chakrabarti was widely respected. It seems like a long time ago.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

It will still be in the top three biggest public attendance events ever in the UK, and probably the second after the Stop the Iraq War march of 2003.

The point they are making in that article is that numbers are always overestimated.
    On those numbers it would be third - the Countryside Alliance March of 2002 would be bigger.

Interesting list here, but it only goes up to 2011:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/mar/28/demonstrations-protests-uk-list
    The presumption is that the Countryside Alliance march numbers were also exaggerated on the same basis.
    No, CA marchers were counted individually through a gate.
    A farm gate?
    Presumably like those at a mass start in a marathon.
    IIRC it was a bank of turnstiles
    Did they count the sheep too?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

isam said:

SeanT said:

It's not a bet though is it.

A better analogy would be a war: you win a battle, but it's not decisive; if you think you can win the next battle too - bring it on.
    Actually the best questions to ask are why those who wanted to leave had to work so hard to get a referendum & why did those who wanted to remain try not to hold one?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

SeanT said:

because it would not solve anything. Have another divisive vote to confirm the leave vote.
    The idea behind the Kyle Compromise is that the referendum legislation would (subject to the referendum that you think would definitely go leave) pass the deal, so if you support the deal and Brexit is currently being delayed because other MPs don't vote for it, it definitely does solve something.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Are England fans talking up the soccer team to avoid talking about how badly the rugby team are going to demolished at the World Cup?
  • Options

Floater said:

I remember when Shami Chakrabarti was widely respected. It seems like a long time ago.
    An observation that could be applied pretty indiscriminately.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Are England fans talking up the soccer team to avoid talking about how badly the rugby team are going to demolished at the World Cup?

Shush, you.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Drutt said:

Andrew said:

Drutt said:

She should be wearing a ball and chain
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Labour will support the indicative vote outcome, so long as its ITS preferred outcome, ffsake
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I'm confident that at the end of the world cup England will still be the only Northern Hemisphere nation to have won the world cup.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    There was a first in tonight's debate. For the first time Kier Starmer looked discomforted.
    It was when he was asked by Ken Clarke whether Labour would whip against certain of the indicative votes after having criticised the Government for doing the same. Hoists and petards come to mind.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Very seductive

Yes. I'd give us a sporting chance against any side in the world. Also we aren't totally reliant on one great player - Gascoigne, Rooney etc. This is a proper TEAM. We have stars like Kane but they aren't totally pivotal.

It’s high quality - and it’s only going to get better. We are or have very recently been world champions at all levels from U16 to U23. The investments the PL clubs have made in youth development are now paying huge dividends.

• Options
    Andrew said:

Drutt said:

Yes, curfews can be quite liberal if you're in gainful employment and you have to do your job.
  • Options

I'm confident that at the end of the world cup England will still be the only Northern Hemisphere nation to have won the world cup.

Might have been different, but for the worst referee in World rugby...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

England were just fifteen bad minutes at Cardiff from winning a Grand Slam (if they'd won that I think they would have gone on to crush Scotland).

They have an odd fragility as we saw in Cardiff (and in the 2nd half against Scotland) but they are also the team that annihilated Ireland IN Dublin etc etc

I'd have England as 2nd or 3rd faves to win the World Cup. Not a bad place.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited March 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Labour will support the indicative vote outcome, so long as its ITS preferred outcome, ffsake

Starmer didn't say that. He said IF the preferred outcome was No Deal, Labour wouldn't support it. But it doesn't have to be the Labour preferred deal. He also sympathised with the similar Tory line.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    So TAKING BACK CONTROL is an attempt that could yet still fail, to control order paper for indicative votes that if one did squeak over line is hardly going to be ringing endorsement of way forward to take back to Europe, and in any case will simply be ignored by government if it wasn’t in the manifesto that won them government.

Never has nothing breached trade description act so outrageously than naming this thing taking back control. It’s not worth the order paper it’s written on, might as well just write indicative votes on loo paper and just flush them away.

Where’s HY? You were wrong HY!!! Admit it.

Repeat after me, there’s just the two options, vote for the WA or clean brexit.

Nothing else is in play!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Might have been different, but for the worst referee in World rugby...
    Yeah, we should have won a second world cup in 2007 but for an incompetent TMO.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Very seductive

It’s high quality - and it’s only going to get better. We are or have very recently been world champions at all levels from U16 to U23. The investments the PL clubs have made in youth development are now paying huge dividends.

The German's are also been very helpful in developing some of our players ;-)
  • Options
    Barclay bombing a bit in the Commons, Hammond looks like he has eaten a fly, Liddington looking cross
  • Options
    SeanT said:

England were just fifteen bad minutes at Cardiff from winning a Grand Slam (if they'd won that I think they would have gone on to crush Scotland).

England might have crushed Scotland if they had not had a bad fifteen minutes at Twickenham...
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Very seductive

Yes, it's not coincidence. It's the same as Britain out-performing in the Olympics. We have finally worked out how to produce good sportsmen and women, and good team spirit.

There's a science to it, and we have copied the best, and we are prospering thereby. It helps we have lots of money, comparatively.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

England might have crushed Scotland if they had not had a bad fifteen minutes at Twickenham...
    The score would have been frightening had Scotland not had a poor 30 minutes.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Very seductive

Yes, it's not coincidence. It's the same as Britain out-performing in the Olympics. We have finally worked out how to produce good sportsmen and women, and good team spirit.

There's a science to it, and we have copied the best, and we are prospering thereby. It helps we have lots of money, comparatively.
    2019 might also be the year England win the cricket world cup.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    dots said:

So TAKING BACK CONTROL is an attempt that could yet still fail, to control order paper for indicative votes that if one did squeak over line is hardly going to be ringing endorsement of way forward to take back to Europe, and in any case will simply be ignored by government if it wasn’t in the manifesto that won them government.

Never has nothing breached trade description act so outrageously than naming this thing taking back control. It’s not worth the order paper it’s written on, might as well just write indicative votes on loo paper and just flush them away.

Where’s HY? You were wrong HY!!! Admit it.

Repeat after me, there’s just the two options, vote for the WA or clean brexit.

Nothing else is in play!

Nope, the EU made clear all they need for further extension is an indication of what the Commons might support and participation in the EU Parliament elections.

May also made clear today given the Commons will not support No Deal the only alternative is further extension and participation in the EU Parliament elections until it passes her Deal.

The last election also produced a hung parliament not a Tory majority
  • Options

SeanT said:

The idea behind the Kyle Compromise is that the referendum legislation would (subject to the referendum that you think would definitely go leave) pass the deal, so if you support the deal and Brexit is currently being delayed because other MPs don't vote for it, it definitely does solve something.
    Indeed. I fully expect Leave to win a Deal versus Remain referendum and that would be a much better result than accidental No Deal.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I think you are too hard on Wales. They are genuinely good. 14 wins in a row? Beat Ireland (easily) and England?

They have also beaten S Africa and Oz recently, all they need to do is get over their All Blacks hoodoo (or hope that someone else takes the Kiwis out first) and they could easily win the World Cup.

If England can't do it, I'll be lustily supporting the Taffs.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

The Countryside Alliance got some pretty big crowds at their various demonstrations during the Blair premiership.
    The official police numbers for the 2002 CA march was 400,000. Made not a blind bit of difference of course. I was on that one.
    We might have bumped into each other there Richard.
    I was there too.
    Is this a new sport? Hunt the PB members on the CA March?
    The funniest moment was White’s relaxing their dress code to allow marchers to use the loo
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

I think you are too hard on Wales. They are genuinely good. 14 wins in a row? Beat Ireland (easily) and England?

They have also beaten S Africa and Oz recently, all they need to do is get over their All Blacks hoodoo (or hope that someone else takes the Kiwis out first) and they could easily win the World Cup.

I hate the Welsh rugby fans.

A bunch of bigoted bellends they are.

It is all those years of being called a Nigel and told where to stick the sweet chariot has consequences.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

It is all those years of being called a Nigel and told where to stick the sweet chariot has consequences.
    Too much hate TSE - get some therapy.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

I'd sooner see France win the world cup than Wales.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    SeanT said:

UK sport is generally well run nowadays, and the UK is competitive in many sports. Mostly that will be down to the various bodies than run sports, but recent goverments seem to have done a good job on the whole.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

As soon as you realise their hostility (like nearly all Anglophobia) arises from a RAGING inferiority complex vis-a-vis England (same goes for Scotland, etc) then it is all much easier to forgive.

Bless them. They are small nations unfortunately united with the dominant global linguistic culture. Ouch.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited March 2019
    A national Dem primary poll (Q18) today has Hillary Clinton on 8%, begging the question as to why she is being prompted? More significantly though, 2.6% name Mayor Pete. I think it's now fair to say he is having a moment in the sun - whether he can make it last and grow remains to be seen but fair play to him.

Biden leads on 28%.

http://mclaughlinonline.com/pols/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/National-Omni-MA-Topline-for-Release-3-25-19.pdf
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

Cyclefree said:

If only MPs would listen to what the EU is saying.

A No Deal exit will happen on 12th April unless the Deal is voted for (unlikely), Article 50 is revoked (also unlikely) or Parliament decides to have a second referendum or a GE.

Debating and voting on other possibilities is pointless flim-flam.

If MPs don’t pick one of the above options, a No Deal exit will happen.

One hopes the penny drops before 12th April. I have my doubts.

Tusk said the same re: 29 March, but a few hours later it was 12 April.
    Cycle free is right. All EU done was play pass the blame. It’s a game. When the music stops you mustn’t be holding the blame. May wanted to stitch them up with a desperate summit this week, where the pressure would be in EU to blink they turned tables, London now holding the blame.

There is only one way to take no deal off table, vote for the WA. The idea any Tory leader revokes or flies to Europe begging to take part in EU elections and long brexit delay is laughable. If MPs don’t pass the EUs WA Britain has the clean brexit and all the blame.

Nothing else is in play.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

They have an odd fragility as we saw in Cardiff (and in the 2nd half against Scotland) but they are also the team that annihilated Ireland IN Dublin etc etc

I'd have England as 2nd or 3rd faves to win the World Cup. Not a bad place.
    Currently 5/1-ish, as are ENG for Euros, in from 7/1-ish to 5/1-ish today.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Richard Harrington resigns to vote for Letwin.
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Yes well your country gave us John Redwood as Secretary of State, so piss off, Nigel. xx
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

The Countryside Alliance got some pretty big crowds at their various demonstrations during the Blair premiership.
    The official police numbers for the 2002 CA march was 400,000. Made not a blind bit of difference of course. I was on that one.
    We might have bumped into each other there Richard.
    I was there too.
    Is this a new sport? Hunt the PB members on the CA March?
    The funniest moment was White’s relaxing their dress code to allow marchers to use the loo
    It was an enjoyable occasion. We had lunch at Mark Masons Hall, afterwards.
  • Options
    Harrington resigns, Letwin amendment vote happening now.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited March 2019

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Yes well your country gave us John Redwood as Secretary of State, so piss off, Nigel. xx
    When we let Welsh people run Wales you chose Ron Davies.

Bring back John Redwood, the Welsh need an English viceroy to run Wales.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Quincel said:

A national Dem primary poll (Q18) today has Hillary Clinton on 8%, begging the question as to why she is being prompted? More significantly though, 2.6% name Mayor Pete. I think it's now fair to say he is having a moment in the sun - whether he can make it last and grow remains to be seen but fair play to him.

http://mclaughlinonline.com/pols/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/National-Omni-MA-Topline-for-Release-3-25-19.pdf

Biden leads on 28%, Sanders second on 17%, Clinton tied third on 8% with O'Rourke and Harris.

In GOP Primary Trump leads on 80%, Kasich on 5% and Weld on 1%
  • Options
    I think Letwin gets through by 7 or 8 votes tonight.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

As soon as you realise their hostility (like nearly all Anglophobia) arises from a RAGING inferiority complex vis-a-vis England (same goes for Scotland, etc) then it is all much easier to forgive.

Bless them. They are small nations unfortunately united with the dominant global linguistic culture. Ouch.
    Well that makes sense.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

I'd sooner see France win the world cup than Wales.
    Must be a tough call for you.

A bit like I'd sooner see Man City win the Premiership than Liverpool I guess (though in truth I'd sooner it was cancelled this season.)
This discussion has been closed.