Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At this critical time a look at matters of Confidence in the p

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:
    That is what is needed. Then it is sign or no deal

Or revoke
    I just cant see revoke
  • Options
    Macron live on Sky - deal but if no vote it will guide the EU to no deal

Now deal or revoke
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

900000 fwiw

17400000, fwiw :smiley:
    Strange that this time yesterday there were those bragging that the No Deal petition launched 4 months ago was well ahead with 350,000 signatories. They seem to have gone quiet since the revoke petition is coming close to a million in 24 hours.

I agree it may not signify a great deal but there are a lot of very angry people out there and not all of them are people who think Brexit is being "betrayed". If the leavers manoeuvre us into a no deal a week from now this will be the tip of the iceberg.
    As will revoking. The only sane course is the deal, then negotiate what actually matters, the future relationship
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

From their perspective victory looks more within reach now.

What victory?

I know the headbangers think a scorched Earth No Deal will see them lauded as liberators and feted for 1000 years.

I am less sure that the medicine queues and food riots will be chanting their names in praise...
    Do yo honestly, really truly honestly think there will be food riots or queues for medicines (beyond the standard pre Brexit NHS efficiency levels) if we leave next week without a deal?
    There was an article on LSE blogs from the Chief Economist at Allianz and he stated that there is currently 4 to 7 months of non perishable food stockpiled in the UK. The MD of a toilet paper maker was on Sky just now saying they have stockpiled 600 tons of stock over normal, he also stated that sales are 7% higher than normal because people are stockpiling. Does not seem to me that there is much panic out there.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited March 2019

Adding about 1000 per minute at the moment. Should get to 1m soon after 3pm...

Honestly, and without meaning to be rude .... but who cares? We already know there are many millions of remainers out there. A meaningless petition, and one without any verification of identity, is rather useless.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Scott_P said:
    Rutte should focus on issues closer to home...

He's only saying what many of us think
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

900000 fwiw

Oooooh, good point.

Actually the correct comparator is the difference of votes. As nobody has started a petition saying yes please, we want to become a third world backwater next Friday, that is 950000 - 0 signatures on the petition vs a difference of 1.3m in the referendum. We'll be there by tea time.
    No the difference is immaterial since these are probably the same people signing as voted not new people. Furthermore there is a large no deal petition there - not that petitions mean anything it is only the votes that matter.
  • Options

Now deal or revoke

Quote" his views carry huge weight in the EU"

When have they ever said that about a British pm?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

900000 fwiw

Strange that this time yesterday there were those bragging that the No Deal petition launched 4 months ago was well ahead with 350,000 signatories. They seem to have gone quiet since the revoke petition is coming close to a million in 24 hours.

I agree it may not signify a great deal but there are a lot of very angry people out there and not all of them are people who think Brexit is being "betrayed". If the leavers manoeuvre us into a no deal a week from now this will be the tip of the iceberg.
    As will revoking. The only sane course is the deal, then negotiate what actually matters, the future relationship
    It’s insanely frustrating that all of this is not even regarding the future relationship. I wonder how far along things would be had all these energies been devoted to actually working on the FTA etc.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

If May refuses to revoke after a vote next Thursdsy there's no time to remove her and revoke. Parliament cannot exercise the royal prerogative.

Precisely. Anyway it's politically impossible for a Conservative PM in current circumstances. It's not going to happen.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

It is also an issue close to home for him. Brexit is a big deal for the Netherlands.

Little Englanders wouldn't realise that though.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814
    edited March 2019
    I have been supportive of the deal, but last week, for me, was the time when plan B had to come out. Plan A or burn from May last night was totally unacceptable.

The have been articles on May's psychology to the effect that the Tory party is the country for her and that there always has to be a dragon to slay, even if the slaying itself is unimportant. Those profiles increasingly make sense to me.

I think she has decided that No Deal will hold the Tory party together better than pushing her deal and her actions over the last days have convinced me that MV3 is not being brought forward in good faith - it is being set purposely to fail and blame. On that score she could have a point - you will lose some TSE/Cameroon types, but the base and hierarchy could well be broadly be intact through No Deal, however bad the fallout, however massively defeated the party are, however much power Corbyn gets. Just as long as they are together, perhaps eventually they may even be salved of their Euroscepticism.

Which leaves the rest of the country. Still, good luck with MV3 but, if you are not playing to win, time for me, who won't get a vote on it, to move on. You're sailing too close to No Deal and I will not accept that. Revocation petition and protest (though not London: work duties this weekend, though I might sniff around some Northern town squares). Quite simply, I've not been given a better way out than this.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

What victory?

I know the headbangers think a scorched Earth No Deal will see them lauded as liberators and feted for 1000 years.

I am less sure that the medicine queues and food riots will be chanting their names in praise...
    Do yo honestly, really truly honestly think there will be food riots or queues for medicines (beyond the standard pre Brexit NHS efficiency levels) if we leave next week without a deal?
    There was an article on LSE blogs from the Chief Economist at Allianz and he stated that there is currently 4 to 7 months of non perishable food stockpiled in the UK. The MD of a toilet paper maker was on Sky just now saying they have stockpiled 600 tons of stock over normal, he also stated that sales are 7% higher than normal because people are stockpiling. Does not seem to me that there is much panic out there.
    Directly contradicting other sources that MD also said he just cannot see shortages.

So we aint Venezuela .... yet.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Corbyn and Selmayr: who pulled the wool over the other's eyes?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Now deal or revoke

Probably never. They’ve always been more of a nuisance.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

Its only because he now has a serious populist anti EU problem in the Dutch parliament
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,681
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I recall that in the past a Prime Ministerial Broadcast gave rise to the Opposition Leader having a Right of Reply. This goes back as far as Suez when Gaitskell replied to Eden's address to the nation, and this happened again throughout the 1960s and 1970s at times of crisis - eg Devaluation in November 1967. Theresa May has chosen a more informal method of speaking to the country via a lectern from No 10, but it it makes me query whether Corbyn should be given the same opportunity to convey his message as Gaitskell - Wilson-Heath - and Thatcher in earlier years.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

900000 fwiw

Yes. In terms of sudden organisation, it's a harbinger.

• Options

If May refuses to revoke after a vote next Thursdsy there's no time to remove her and revoke. Parliament cannot exercise the royal prerogative.

Precisely. Anyway it's politically impossible for a Conservative PM in current circumstances. It's not going to happen.
    Agreed
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    We're really going over the cliff aren't week. Every hour makes it more likely, and requires a 'black swan' more and more....
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I recall that in the past a Prime Ministerial Broadcast gave rise to the Opposition Leader having a Right of Reply. This goes back as far as Suez when Gaitskell replied to Eden's address to the nation, and this happened again throughout the 1960s and 1970s at times of crisis - eg Devaluation in November 1967. Theresa May has chosen a more informal method of speaking to the country via a lectern from No 10, but it it makes me query whether Corbyn should be given the same opportunity to convey his message as Gaitskell - Wilson-Heath - and Thatcher in earlier years.

He can get a lectern out any time he chooses.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I take it everything's going well?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    Revoke > 950,000
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    edited March 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Currently the number of ERG irreconcilables is rising rather than falling.

But surely Glorious Strategist Theresa May accounted for that, right?
    All else being equal some remainers should logically move over to the deal as the possibility of hard Brexit increases. There are far more remainers in the HoC than leavers too.

This clearly isn't what is happening for a variety of reasons.
    Like being told they are a bunch of sh**heads by the sitting PM for example?
    Noone gives a shit about their personal feelings. They need to vote in the only sure way to avoid "No Deal", and that is to vote for the PM's deal no matter how mean or nasty she's been to them.
    Yes, I agree with this. I wasn't impressed by Nandy's pronouncement last night, for this reason. It's valid to express your disgust with MayDay's comments, but using this as a reason to vote down a deal which is critical to upkeep of the economy is just risible.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

True, in fairness Corbyn needs an equal opportunity to piss off his own MPs.
  • Options
    I wonder if we'd be in this mess if Macron/Merkel had taken firmer control 6/9/12 months ago. There was always going to be a problem of flexibility when we were negotiating with second tier bureaucrats.
  • Options

A bit of turbulence, nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

eristdoof said:

philiph said:

Andrew said:

eristdoof said:

Thinking aloud, is there anything that May can threaten to make the consequences of not passing MV3 totally unacceptable to All conservatives and the DUP? I. e. the neuclear option.

For the Tories: expel any MPs who vote against MV3, and then call a GE.
    Just withdraw the whip of any who do not vote for the deal for 3 weeks or so.

Fanatics on both siders (ERG and Remain) will no longer be able to take part in the activities of the Tory party in Westminster.
    At which point May no longer has a majority for anything and gets VONCed faster than you can say "Oh, Jeremy Corbyn".
    Doesn't may remain primeminister for two weeks even if she is VoNCd?
    I think it is "upto" two weeks. iirc if her Majesty is persuaded, through the usual channels, that someone else can command confidence, then the cars are heading to the palace.
    If May refuses to resign how can Her Majesty be persuaded? That seems to be a bit of a legal grey area.
    Presumably someone else can propose a vote of confidence in an alternative administration before then?
    That's what seems to be confusing. The law says 'an early general election is held, unless the House of Commons subsequently resolves "That this House has confidence in Her Majesty's Government". '

So its not a vote of confidence in a potential alternative administration but in the Government. If May doesn't resign and suggest that Her Majesty calls Corbyn [for example] I don't see how the issue gets forced? The Act doesn't really address that point.
  • Options

justin124 said:

True, in fairness Corbyn needs an equal opportunity to piss off his own MPs.
    I don't think he needs any assistance in that regard.
  • Options

Swimmingly.
  • Options
    Well, as long as it's only in effigy, what's he bitching about?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

What victory?

I don't want to know what your diet consists of, but most things which are nice to eat are perishable. The fact that we have 4-7 months worth of pot noodles and tinned peaches is neither here nor there.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Andrew said:

I wonder if we'd be in this mess if Macron/Merkel had taken firmer control 6/9/12 months ago. There was always going to be a problem of flexibility when we were negotiating with second tier bureaucrats.

They've had their own problems to deal with, as so many Brexiteers gleefully pointed out.

I'd guess that when deal was sorted out to their and May's satisfaction, they naively assumed 'second tier bureaucrats' were perfectly adequate.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited March 2019

Just due to periodic air pockets we encountered. There's no reason to be alarmed.

By the way, is there anyone on this board who knows how to run a country?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305
    I'm sorry folks, but it is with profound regret that I've decided to cancel my Brexit street party scheduled for 29 March 2019. (Anyone need ten dozen union-jack plastic bowler hats?)
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

Its only because he now has a serious populist anti EU problem in the Dutch parliament
    Exactly, liberal types love retweeting the rhetoric of failed international politicians as somehow meaningful, but these are really designed to deflect from their own woes.
  • Options
    HOC needs to indicative vote on deal - no deal - revoke
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

What victory?

I don't want to know what your diet consists of, but most things which are nice to eat are perishable. The fact that we have 4-7 months worth of pot noodles and tinned peaches is neither here nor there.
    I think frozen food counts as non perishable so ya know, meat and vegetables etc
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    justin124 said:

Corbyn would have to decide on a message -as opposed to a trimmed soundbite on whatever he thinks is good for Lab on a given morning - before embracing that opportunity.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224
    Andrew said:

It is neither Merkel nor Macron to blame, it is MAY.
  • Options

Just due to periodic air pockets we encountered. There's no reason to be alarmed.

By the way, is there anyone on this board who knows how to run a country?
    LOL - could any of the posters here be worse than the current crop of mp's?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Wishful thinking. I have my fingers crossed though.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited March 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

What victory?

As you know I mentioned to you to get your seedlings in, Aldi have a special buy at the moment.
    The point is that the Government may not be prepared businesses are prepared for no deal.
    If we have the stockpiles of non perishable foods, then we just have to focus on getting the perishable foods into the country. This maybe from Eu27 suppliers or from RoW suppliers, but is is a smaller problem to overcome than managing the whole food supply.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814
    Corbyn in Brussels. Wonder if the tabloids can rustle up a Chuka Umunna lookalike to follow him round.
  • Options

They'd just vote no to everything, again.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Nope they still need to remove an option from the table.

Then decide upon which of the 2 options left is the one they want
  • Options

We're really going over the cliff aren't week. Every hour makes it more likely, and requires a 'black swan' more and more....

The chances of panic buying this weekend have got to be high. Big Aldi shop for me tomorrow!
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224
    Deep Political Change: New Leader, New Referendum then New Election
  • Options
    eek said:

Nope they still need to remove an option from the table.

Then decide upon which of the 2 options left is the one they want
    The one with the fewest votes get eliminated?
  • Options

I'm sorry folks, but it is with profound regret that I've decided to cancel my Brexit street party scheduled for 29 March 2019. (Anyone need ten dozen union-jack plastic bowler hats?)

Perhaps the Leave Means Leave march could take them off your hands for their triumphant entry to our capital? Ten dozen definitely too much though.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

He can get a lectern out any time he chooses.
    That is a fair point - though it is striking that formal Ministerial Broadcasts at times of crisis appear to have rather gone out of fashion.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pro_Rata said:

Corbyn in Brussels. Wonder if the tabloids can rustle up a Chuka Umunna lookalike to follow him round.

https://twitter.com/sw1a0aa/status/1108720994892558337
  • Options
    If Theresa May were to go to the EU and ask for a long extension on the basis that she's throwing in the towel and a new PM would take over, would they agree?

I'd suggest probably yes, although it wouldn't be guaranteed. Dunno if she'd do it though, still less whether it would resolve anything, and a leadership contest in current circumstances would not be a pretty sight.
  • Options
    So they can read Twitter too and see the deal is doomed.
  • Options
    A delay I would have thought needs full legislation because the exit date is already on the Statute Book with Royal Assent. So what new is going to be achieved with more time? Business will quite soon invest if we press on now. We will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. A bit more British spirit rather than metropolitan liberal snowflake spirit needed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Then MPs deserve to be villified and put in stocks, how utterly pathetic
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

What victory?

As you know I mentioned to you to get your seedlings in, Aldi have a special buy at the moment.
    The point is that the Government may not be prepared businesses are prepared for no deal.
    If we have the stockpiles of non perishable foods, then we just have to focus on getting the perishable foods into the country. This maybe from Eu27 suppliers or from RoW suppliers, but is is a smaller problem to overcome than managing the whole food supply.
    Yes, but they thing about the future is that it is unknowable, least of all by you. You thought your claim about non perishable food was a complete answer until prompted by me, which doesn't really inspire much confidence in you as a futurologist.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    How does a 12% lead for the TM Party over The Rest look if we Baxter it?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    MV3 won't go ahead because the division to disapply the current Standing Orders in order to facilitate it will fail.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    That's because they are facing an even more unpopular opposition. in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

If Theresa May were to go to the EU and ask for a long extension on the basis that she's throwing in the towel and a new PM would take over, would they agree?

I'd suggest probably yes, although it wouldn't be guaranteed. Dunno if she'd do it though, still less whether it would resolve anything, and a leadership contest in current circumstances would not be a pretty sight.

We need some kind of election to clear the air, in the Tory party you need to pick a direction. Are you soft or hard?
  • Options
    Problem is that is EVERYONE is agreed how awful she is but nobody is prepared to act then she remains PM and we crash out with no deal.

Someone needs to come out and demand her immediate resignation. Not Jezbollah, someone who commands respect across all sides of the house.

C'mon Ken Clarke, time to tango.
  • Options

*deletes tasteless 737 Max 8 crack*
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Floater said:

Now deal or revoke

If we'd had Ken Clarke maybe..... Oh, his VIEWS carry huge weight. Not his Hushpuppies then....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Scott_P said:
    It's basically the same gambit she pulled on the country with the snap election when her pitch was basically "vote for me or face the abyss with Jeremy Corbyn". She uses blackmail instead of persuasion.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Brazilian former President Michel Temer arrested in corruption investigation, media reports say
  • Options
    I think he missed the vote in Parliament:

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1108737274378752000
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Andrew said:

Honestly, and without meaning to be rude .... but who cares? We already know there are many millions of remainers out there. A meaningless petition, and one without any verification of identity, is rather useless.
    Indeed. It is yet another form of displacement activity.

If the Remainers in Parliament (and there abundantly many of them) don't want No Deal, they have the numbers to do something about it.

They have been outwitted by thickos like Francois.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632

kjh said:

kjh said:

Sean_F said:

The petition seems to be running at 1-1,500 a minute, now, although a couple of thousand were just deleted.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HughRBennett/status/1108682038184419328
    So so predictable. So predictable that I predicted you would do it down thread.
    Did you? Must have missed it.

I normally skip straight over your posts.
    Any reason you have to be so rude? I was trying to be quite nice to you last night and conciliatory in trying to explain to you why people are baiting you over the numbers thing (but don't when you make other rational posts). If you go back and look at the threads after you left last night there was some gentle humour at your expense on counting numbers (not by me). You seem very touchy about this. I don't know why. Your arguments are usually rational, but just the other day, pretty well unprompted, you commented that these marches 'boil your piss'. That isn't a rational response. Neither is your one sided view on the numbers. Of course there will be illegitimate numbers in the petition. of course nobody knows the numbers at the march. None of it really matters. Only the ball park is important. But it really, really mattters to you. Try not to be rude. I won't be rude to you.
    You’ve been very rude to me.

If you don’t want it back then don’t belittle or patronise me.
    I haven't. Not at all. Please see posts from yesterday particularly near the end of the day. I was trying to be helpful. I also said some positive things to you. I also apologised when I messed up a post.

I actually don't care if you are rude to me, but it would be better if you address the points in the post instead.

I was having some gentle fun at your expense, but it was all harmless and I was also explaining to you why people were doing it. I thought that might be appreciated or do you like people winding you up.

You know when the petition reaches a 1 million people are going to post and they are going to expect you to react and will respond accordingly.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019

Problem is that is EVERYONE is agreed how awful she is but nobody is prepared to act then she remains PM and we crash out with no deal.

Someone needs to come out and demand her immediate resignation. Not Jezbollah, someone who commands respect across all sides of the house.

C'mon Ken Clarke, time to tango.
    Yes, this could help. Events could already overtake her first, ofcourse.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    In which case, if we go to No Deal, it is because most MP's are either pleased with that outcome, or regard it as being better than the alternatives.
  • Options

So they can read Twitter too and see the deal is doomed.
    They expect MV3 and if rejected a fundamental change. They won't extend if there is no MV3 vote
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Guy Fawkes style, you burn the person first, then you burn their effigy repeatedly, for hundreds of years, for the amusement of children
  • Options
    Parliament needs to be recalled for the weekend and decisions made. The blame game is a nonsense but sums up the childish behaviour of our mps.

Sky poll indicates by 52% - 36% mps are more to blame than TM

The HOC needs to decide on deal - no deal - revoke fast

As far as TM is concerned I doubt she will survive much longer but until the next few weeks have passed she may as well act as a lightening conductor, but the HOC needs to take control
  • Options
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Deep Political Change: New Leader, New Referendum then New Election
    In 7 days !!!!!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I must agree

Some of them are using this as an excuse to further whatever their preference is
  • Options

Andrew said:

If the Remainers in Parliament (and there abundantly many of them) don't want No Deal, they have the numbers to do something about it.

Outwitted by a moron.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

We need some kind of election to clear the air, in the Tory party you need to pick a direction. Are you soft or hard?
    I'm not sure that that is a question one gentleman should ask of another, but as for the party, I'm afraid the answer is hard - which is why it won't resolve anything.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    In which case, if we go to No Deal, it is because most MP's are either pleased with that outcome, or regard it as being better than the alternatives.
    The house needs to Express what it wants, and hope the EU will play or if no deal then clock watch
  • Options
    Without a weekend recall there is indeed very little time for the Commons to organise and vote for anything. There is incredibly little time left.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Andrew said:

Yep. at least Francois is open and honest about what he wants.

it's the people which don't want X, but won't do 'everything' to stop it we should have issues with.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

How does a 12% lead for the TM Party over The Rest look if we Baxter it?

Wait until the council elections in May and you'll find out...
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I'm not sure that that is a question one gentleman should ask of another, but as for the party, I'm afraid the answer is hard - which is why it won't resolve anything.
    The Tory party membership certainly sees the deal as remaining. I mean I know you, Eagles and my parents don't but... you're in the minority.
  • Options
    He's cracked it!

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - British Labour opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn said after meeting the EU’s Brexit negotiator that he will push ahead with Brexit and seek to renegotiate the terms of the divorce deal.

Corbyn’s meeting with Michel Barnier on Thursday came as Prime Minister Theresa May is struggling to get her divorce deal through parliament and has asked the EU for an extension to negotiations.

“Our determination is to find an agreement, which means we prevent a no-deal Brexit, and that we have a future constructive relationship with the European Union that could be negotiated during an extension period,” Corbyn told reporters.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-corbyn-idUKKCN1R21BN?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c93a1299ebbef000134abd7&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

The Tory party membership certainly sees the deal as remaining. I mean I know you, Eagles and my parents don't but... you're in the minority.
    Yep, very much so.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Francois looked like he could hardly believe his luck on the TV last night. Who'd have thunk it, a "Francois" celebrating Monsieur Macron.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

He's cracked it!

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - British Labour opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn said after meeting the EU’s Brexit negotiator that he will push ahead with Brexit and seek to renegotiate the terms of the divorce deal.

Corbyn’s meeting with Michel Barnier on Thursday came as Prime Minister Theresa May is struggling to get her divorce deal through parliament and has asked the EU for an extension to negotiations.

“Our determination is to find an agreement, which means we prevent a no-deal Brexit, and that we have a future constructive relationship with the European Union that could be negotiated during an extension period,” Corbyn told reporters.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-corbyn-idUKKCN1R21BN?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c93a1299ebbef000134abd7&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

I know he's the messiah, but in 7 days....at the rate the EU operates...be more of a miracle than feeding the 5000 from seven loaves and two fishes.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

It doesn't matter what they do, all of the theoretically possible options will be the most unpopular decision ever taken by a British government and Parliament.

Other decisions might have been opposed by a greater number of people but none of them would have combined breadth of opposition and depth of feeling to the extent that will greet any decision on Brexit, when one is finally made.
This discussion has been closed.