Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Those claiming that the “will of the people” equates to no dea

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Ireland suddenly punching above its weight and no fear of trampling egos in London.

Has something changed in the geopolitical order?
    They've been demanding this for decades.
    Wasn’t the whole point of the ‘peace process’ that we left the past in the past?
    The point being that *we* are meant to leave the past in the past. Irish Republicans have no intention of doing so.
    Or perhaps we should have an inquiry.

After all, we’ve already admitted that the British government colluded in his murder.

Doesn’t sound like cricket to me.
    But blowing up pubs is?
    We are meant to be better than the terrorists.

Would you be ok with state sanctioned murder if Corbyn or future Home Secretary Chris Williamson had that power ?
    I disapprove of murder full stop. But I accept that to move forward, justice has to be sacrificed. If it is to be sacrificed on one side, it should be sacrificed on all three sides.
    We've resumed the inquests into the Birmingham pub bombings.
    Will the victims' families get justice? Will there be prosecutions?
    It is something that they have pushed for, but it is a Coroners inquest, not a judicial enquiry.

Personally, I would approach these issues of memory a bit like South Africa, with amnesty contingent on telling the truth and confession.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

No - if the extension is only to June 30, there isn't time for an EURef2. There'd only be three and a half months from the March 14 vote to the new Brexit Date: that's nothing like long enough to pass a Bill for the new referendum, allow campaign groups to organise and register, and then hold the vote. I reckon you'd need at least six months - which of course means into the new EP term.

If the extension is for only 3 months, it really does become May's Deal / No Deal / Revoke.

But another extension would be granted for either REF2 or GE - do you not think?
    I think that would be very difficult if the UK hadn't participated in the EP elections, as that would mean that the EP might well not be properly constituted and so any legislation it passed could be invalid. Perhaps there might be ways round that but it wouldn't be certain without an CJEU ruling as to what was legal. It wouldn't just be that the UK wasn't there - it'd also potentially be that MEPs from other countries *were* there who shouldn't be (i.e. the expected-to-be-former seats for the UK).

If the UK isn't to leave until July or later, I think it'll need to be sorted out in March.

Put another way, if Labour is serious about an EURef2, it'll need to try to amend the extension date on the March 14 motion, as well as try to enable the process.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

Mr. F, not sure that's the case. Some people want the freedom to choose, even if that means others doing things of which they personally disapprove.

They tend not to be politicians.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    kinabalu said:

Ghastly character, Griffin. How come he hasn't been banned from Twitter like Tommy?

Dunno, I think possibly twitter's policy is pretty reactive, ie controversy >> ban pillock. Griffin is rather yesterday's man since the BNP collapsed, not in the news much.
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    Revocation of Article 50 it is then.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

HYUFD said:

If it was not for religious groups half our food Banks and homeless hostels would be gone

No they wouldn't. People would still go out and help their neighbours. The idea that charity and helping your fellow man is in any way a reserve of the religious is simply wrong.
    It's obviously not a reserve (he did say half, not all) but there's a lot of evidence that religious people give more to charity, and tend to be more involved in their community (meal rotas, blood drives, schools, youth groups, etc) - possibly because they by definition have one, whereas for non religious people, the local community can be a somewhat nebulous term.

If you could find a way of replicating the support networks that small community groupings have across larger towns and cities, it would probably remove the last really good reason for organised religion to continue to exist.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:
    Mike's 3-1 looking somewhat better value now...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Ireland suddenly punching above its weight and no fear of trampling egos in London.

They've been demanding this for decades.
    Wasn’t the whole point of the ‘peace process’ that we left the past in the past?
    The point being that *we* are meant to leave the past in the past. Irish Republicans have no intention of doing so.
    Or perhaps we should have an inquiry.

After all, we’ve already admitted that the British government colluded in his murder.

Doesn’t sound like cricket to me.
    But blowing up pubs is?
    We are meant to be better than the terrorists.

Would you be ok with state sanctioned murder if Corbyn or future Home Secretary Chris Williamson had that power ?
    I disapprove of murder full stop. But I accept that to move forward, justice has to be sacrificed. If it is to be sacrificed on one side, it should be sacrificed on all three sides.
    We've resumed the inquests into the Birmingham pub bombings.
    That's different. Those inquests (AIUT) are about establishing causes of death; they won't be pointing fingers at potential suspects.

(Although I'm not really sure if there is much value to be had from the process, which can presumably only be mostly a paper-based exercise, where the 'paper' is not entirely reliable given W Mids Police's reputation for truth and accuracy in the era).
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited February 2019
    DougSeal said:

I don't think that Dublin demanding a public enquiry into this is anything new. Such demands were made regarding Bloody Sunday from the moment it happened. Until 1987 they had a long-standing defence against extradition of suspects who could plead that an act of violence in Northern Ireland or Britain was a political offence. Standing up to London has always been the norm in Ireland for sound electoral reasons. It had become less so in recent years but Brexit has poisoned the well.
    Quite. I wish people would consider the context that the comments are made, in particular the domestic political situation and the balance of power in legislative bodies. I thought that looking at other countries from the context of British politics was the preserve of Brexiters but that dimwittedness and unfounded intellectual arrogance extends across the spectrum.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,311

As I said this is why relenting now on the referendum was not tactically smart from Corbyn. He hasn't made any friends, just more enemies. The people that don't like him will continue not to like him and it's not going to stop MPs leaving because his insincerity is barely concealed, the trust simply isn't there. Besides those MPs are people he doesn't want in the party anyway.

Well it was forced but, yes, I agree. The pivot to REF2 should have been saved for if there were to be a pre Brexit GE. It would then have positioned the election of a Labour government on the critical path to cancelling Brexit. That IMO would have a good chance of delivering victory.
  • Options

Another bizarre episode in our tangled politics - PPS fired for making proposal with general support:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/27/confusion-reigns-over-brexit-amendment-as-tory-mp-alberto-costa-sacked

Should be the biggest political story of the day, but a bunch of twats in the Labour Party are letting the government off the hook by creating a diversion.
    A PPS being fired over an arcane parliamentary procedural matter wouldn't be the lead on a slow news day, never mind with everything else going on.
  • Options
    England doing ok in the ODI v the Windies.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Anorak said:
    How long have I been saying Macron would stick his oar in?
  • Options

Anorak said:
    That helps Theresa a bit.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975
    God bless Macron, forcing us to shit or get off the pot.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kinabalu said:

As I said this is why relenting now on the referendum was not tactically smart from Corbyn. He hasn't made any friends, just more enemies. The people that don't like him will continue not to like him and it's not going to stop MPs leaving because his insincerity is barely concealed, the trust simply isn't there. Besides those MPs are people he doesn't want in the party anyway.

Well it was forced but, yes, I agree.
    Forced by people threatening to jump anyway, and who will continue to threaten to jump. They've smelt blood and the feeding frenzy will continue.
  • Options

Anorak said:
    I'm guessing Macron will let the extension go through actually. But he's going to make it clear that's a one time deal - so June 29th really WILL be it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

brendan16 said:

I agree tolerance is important.

The majority of British Muslims (52%) according to polling think gay people should be locked up (compared to only 5% of the general population) and a further 30% did not have an opinion on the matter. Four in ten thought wives should always obey their husbands.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

It does make one wonder what drives the atheist Chinese government, the Hindu nationalist government in India (vs Pakistan), the Burmese and to a less extent Thai Buddhist nations and the Israeli Jewish state to not look too favourably on their Muslim minorities or neighbouring states. Let alone how Christians including Yazidis in the middle east may feel too.

Given this seems to be a global issue what can we do to promote greater tolerance?

If you believe that Muslims are on the whole backward primitives whose values are out of step with 'ours' why not just say that?

It's not anti-semitic so you won't get jumped on.
    That is a rather simplistic view.

That doesn't mean that Individuals are inevitably
    I think this is just about spot on. My only comment would be that, as an atheist, I think we give way too much latitude to religious groups and allow them to do things in the name of their religion that we would never allow for any other community grouping.

But I still feel that all religious groups exert an unwelcome and excessive amount of influence on our society and our institutions.
    The problem is when people want to apply their own beliefs to other people. Knock yourself out if you want to cut off bits of your own body or refrain from gay/premarital sex to keep your god happy. But don't presume to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't do, and everyone can be happy. The balance between individual freedoms and societal standards is set by democratic, secular parliaments rather than by churches nowadays - even in places like Ireland - albeit with some lingering reference back to the old days. If people want to listen to their preferred flavour of bloke in a dress for additional guidance, great. But I won't be, and it should never trump the secular.
    Ironically a problematic issue on the Isle of Harris Tweed!
    All politicians, religious and non-religious, want to apply their beliefs to others. It's why they are politicians.
    Some don't have many beliefs and trade them as they see fit as politics is a career choice.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    148grss said:

@Endillion

Point by point:

1) As you mention, this doesn't target Jews specifically; banning medically unnecessary circumcisions of children would impact some aspect of all the Abrahamic faiths. Same with end of halal / kosher meat killing.

2) Faith schools of all stripes are pretty bad. But again, if Lab enacted strict policies against faith schools (which I haven't seen proposed but would love to see), it wouldn't be targeting Jews specifically.

3) Is Labour creating this air of fear or is the press? Yes, the upper echelons of the Lab party are doing the politics of this super badly, but as I stated, it is a perception issue not a more AS people are lab than elsewhere issue. The stats suggest roughly 20-25% of the UK hold AS tropes as true, and that most parties harbour a roughly equal percentage of people who believe that.

4) Look, we can't say "conflating Israel and Jewish people is AS" and then use a position on Israel as an example of Labour being AS. The left feel that the creation of Israel by colonial powers post war, and the displacement of the Palestinian people through illegal means is bad. The left also feel this needs to be talked about because it is mostly funded by the US. Same reason the left complain a lot about the Saudis (although the historic reasons of support are obvs different)

5) Does Lab have an issue with AS? Yes. Does it have an unique issue with AS? I would say no. What it does have is unique scrutiny around AS specifically, and really bad political reactions to that scrutiny.

Thanks for your response.

I'm not going to engage with your contention that this is really all perception/politics, because I think it's a demonstrably ridiculous position, and I'm happy enough that the weight of opinion on this site is firmly against you.

On point 4), while that all may be true, I don't think it even comes to explaining why there's an army on Twitter arguing that the state of Israel is funding media-driven opposition to the UK Labour party.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:
    I'm guessing Macron will let the extension go through actually. But he's going to make it clear that's a one time deal - so June 29th really WILL be it.
    Not just the French though, i'm sure the opportunity will not have gone unnoticed by Salvini.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,678
    edited February 2019
    148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

I don't bother arguing with anti-religious people. Some do like black and white, and seem to be experts on what I think. Pride is one of the great sins and we all still indulge in it. I'm Catholic but I'd be very happy with married priests and priestesses. Even a female Pope.

There's always a desire for perfection, but we aren't perfect. If we were, we wouldn't need help. This misplaced pride can often develop into arrogance. Atheists as well as theists. I'm not so arrogant that I can envisage science ever explaining everything. We have a better understanding than we used to have about 5% of the content of this universe, but it's baby steps and still subject to some ratification.

As for why, rather than how, you pays your money and ...

The thing is atheists don't claim to be perfect, whereas the Catholic Church, for a very long time, did and kinda still tries to.
    I don't think it did, and I don't think it does. Care to explain?

And (writing as one with Protestant tendencies) that would be "Roman Catholic Church" !
  • Options

Good omen for Spurs tonight?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:
    Not just the French though, i'm sure the opportunity will not have gone unnoticed by Salvini.
    Spanish elections running shortly...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited February 2019
    Wondering now if the no-deal vote specifies _how_ the PM should ensure such an outcome. She asks for an extension, EU says nope, is she then compelled to revoke?

If the latter was the case, it puts the ERG in a pretty tricky place for the earlier WA vote.
  • Options

Bairstow out now so who knows?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:
    The ERG will probably wake up and smell the coffee on 1st July.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Anorak said:
    I did think there were rather a lot of blithe assumptions about EU approval for an extension, on the basis of very little evidence.

What Macron and Sanchez are saying now is very close to what others in the EU have been saying for weeks - that they won't approve an extension simply for the sake of allowing more time.

"Plus ca change ..."
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Anorak said:

I'm not sure that quite works. Muslims and Catholics are by definition members of the Islamic Religion and the Roman Catholic church. Jews are not by definition Zionists (though many are; this is not a controversial fact). The failure to understand that Jews are neither necessarily Zionists, nor responsible for the actions of the Israeli state, is the root of most left wing antisemitism.

But neither are Muslims and Catholics necessarily particularly Islamic or Catholic. Indeed the ones I know of both persuasions are very much not. They are soft not hard in their beliefs.

Zionism also has a hard and soft definition. The soft one is an approval and acceptance of Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state in the Middle East and to defend itself against those who wish it harm. The hard one is the belief in the Jews as 'chosen people' whose rights and merits exceed those of others in the region, and that Israel as the sacred homeland can never be criticized, must always be supported in whatever it chooses to do. I would say that the former includes most people, Jewish or otherwise, and the latter not so many. Most of the people I know, and I venture most of those on here, are soft zionists. So am I.
  • Options
    Mr. Andrew, given the choice, I wonder if May would opt for revocation, extension for a referendum, leaving with no deal?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

I'm not sure that quite works. Muslims and Catholics are by definition members of the Islamic Religion and the Roman Catholic church. Jews are not by definition Zionists (though many are; this is not a controversial fact). The failure to understand that Jews are neither necessarily Zionists, nor responsible for the actions of the Israeli state, is the root of most left wing antisemitism.

But neither are Muslims and Catholics necessarily particularly Islamic or Catholic. Indeed the ones I know of both persuasions are very much not. They are soft not hard in their beliefs.

Zionism also has a hard and soft definition. The soft one is an approval and acceptance of Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state in the Middle East and to defend itself against those who wish it harm. The hard one is the belief in the Jews as 'chosen people' whose rights and merits exceed those of others in the region, and that Israel as the sacred homeland can never be criticized, must always be supported in whatever it chooses to do. I would say that the former includes most people, Jewish or otherwise, and the latter not so many. Most of the people I know, and I venture most of those on here, are soft zionists. So am I.
    I think taking this further would involve a lot of sticky ground around religion and ethnicity. You can be an atheist Jew, for example, but not an atheist Muslim.

You're on the money regarding the strains of Zionism, though, which is why I remain baffled why the hard left view it as such a pejorative term.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,712
    MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

I don't bother arguing with anti-religious people. Some do like black and white, and seem to be experts on what I think. Pride is one of the great sins and we all still indulge in it. I'm Catholic but I'd be very happy with married priests and priestesses. Even a female Pope.

There's always a desire for perfection, but we aren't perfect. If we were, we wouldn't need help. This misplaced pride can often develop into arrogance. Atheists as well as theists. I'm not so arrogant that I can envisage science ever explaining everything. We have a better understanding than we used to have about 5% of the content of this universe, but it's baby steps and still subject to some ratification.

The thing is atheists don't claim to be perfect, whereas the Catholic Church, for a very long time, did and kinda still tries to.

And (writing as one with Protestant tendencies) that would be "Roman Catholic Church" !
    The entire doctrine of Papal Infallibility and the Infallibility of the Church would suggest that the RCC has claimed divine perfection and, to a degree, still does.
  • Options
    148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

The entire doctrine of Papal Infallibility and the Infallibility of the Church would suggest that the RCC has claimed divine perfection and, to a degree, still does.
    The Right-on Church of Corbyn?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

148grss said:

@Endillion

Point by point:

1) As you mention, this doesn't target Jews specifically; banning medically unnecessary circumcisions of children would impact some aspect of all the Abrahamic faiths. Same with end of halal / kosher meat killing.

2) Faith schools of all stripes are pretty bad. But again, if Lab enacted strict policies against faith schools (which I haven't seen proposed but would love to see), it wouldn't be targeting Jews specifically.

3) Is Labour creating this air of fear or is the press? Yes, the upper echelons of the Lab party are doing the politics of this super badly, but as I stated, it is a perception issue not a more AS people are lab than elsewhere issue. The stats suggest roughly 20-25% of the UK hold AS tropes as true, and that most parties harbour a roughly equal percentage of people who believe that.

4) Look, we can't say "conflating Israel and Jewish people is AS" and then use a position on Israel as an example of Labour being AS. The left feel that the creation of Israel by colonial powers post war, and the displacement of the Palestinian people through illegal means is bad. The left also feel this needs to be talked about because it is mostly funded by the US. Same reason the left complain a lot about the Saudis (although the historic reasons of support are obvs different)

5) Does Lab have an issue with AS? Yes. Does it have an unique issue with AS? I would say no. What it does have is unique scrutiny around AS specifically, and really bad political reactions to that scrutiny.

Thanks for your response.

I'm not going to engage with your contention that this is really all perception/politics, because I think it's a demonstrably ridiculous position, and I'm happy enough that the weight of opinion on this site is firmly against you.

On point 4), while that all may be true, I don't think it even comes to explaining why there's an army on Twitter arguing that the state of Israel is funding media-driven opposition to the UK Labour party.
    https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-antisemitism-political-parties

This article, rightly, argues against using just one study, but this is the only study I've seen that asks the questions about perception and puts it next to the data on antisemitic views.

As for twitter, god knows why anyone is allowed on there. I assume it is because for many people the plight of palestinians is a top priority, and so they're single issue on that; just as their are many single issue people in the states on abortion, or in the UK on Brexit.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

I think taking this further would involve a lot of sticky ground around religion and ethnicity. You can be an atheist Jew, for example, but not an atheist Muslim.

You're on the money regarding the strains of Zionism, though, which is why I remain baffled why the hard left view it as such a pejorative term.
    On the contrary, I know Jewish Athiests, Muslim Athiests, Hindu Athiests, Catholic Athiests, and Presbyterian Athiests (like my father). Each is quite certain of the God that they don't believe in!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    A racist, a conman and a cheat walk into a bar...

"Hello, Donald" says Michael Cohen.
    https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/431764-live-coverage-michael-cohen-testifies-in-public-on-president-trump
  • Options

Bairstow out now so who knows?
    and Root...

gulp....
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Forced by people threatening to jump anyway, and who will continue to threaten to jump. They've smelt blood and the feeding frenzy will continue.

I do agree. The Labour leadership should keep their eye on the prize - general election.

And IMO the best way to engineer that is to stay passive on Brexit. Oppose the May deal and propose their own soft BINO version. Nothing more. Make TM and the Tories own the tough decisons from here. They are in government.
  • Options
    148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

As I understand it, the Pope is only infallible when he enunciates religious doctrine.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

As I understand it, the Pope is only infallible when he enunciates religious doctrine.
    So in a specific time and place the pope can be perfect. So it believes in perfection, to a degree.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

That's not very convincing, and "Perfect" or "a very long time" seem to me to be a little overegging the pudding.

Papal Infallibility was made into a dogma in I think 1870 or so, and is circumscribed to the Pope speaking in his (accepted by RCs) role as successor of St Peter, relating to "matters of faith or morals". I think the number of times it has been used in 150 years and accepted throughout the RC Church is exactly once.

The Doctrine of Infallibility of the Church is one I had not heard of referenced in that fashion, but seems to relate to the Authority of Ecumenical (ie with authority accepted by the entire Church Militant) Councils. The last of these was in, I think, Niceae II in 787AD.

You perhaps need to be taking history into account that is more recent than 787AD?

I would describe Perfectibility as more of a Protestant thing in churches with a 'Holiness' background, but that will take us down a theological rabbit hole.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Wondering now if the no-deal vote specifies _how_ the PM should ensure such an outcome. She asks for an extension, EU says nope, is she then compelled to revoke?

If the latter was the case, it puts the ERG in a pretty tricky place for the earlier WA vote.

No, she would be compelled to oversee No Deal by the automatic operation of EU and UK law.

She probably doesn't have lawful authority to revoke without a change to the Notification Act. I suppose the government could table an Act to make that amendment but it's doubtful it could pass in time and in any case, there'd be immense opposition within the government (or without of it, once the resignations hit).

A parliamentary motion cannot override primary legislation.
  • Options
    Time for the roast of Trump.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    They are replacing them with ones of Chris Williamson.

Perhaps.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47386100
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Andrew said:

No, she would be compelled to oversee No Deal by the automatic operation of EU and UK law.

She probably doesn't have lawful authority to revoke without a change to the Notification Act. I suppose the government could table an Act to make that amendment but it's doubtful it could pass in time and in any case, there'd be immense opposition within the government (or without of it, once the resignations hit).

Does the Notification Act remove the governments prerogative to revoke, as well as invoke?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,831
    Chris said:

Anorak said:
    I did think there were rather a lot of blithe assumptions about EU approval for an extension, on the basis of very little evidence.

What Macron and Sanchez are saying now is very close to what others in the EU have been saying for weeks - that they won't approve an extension simply for the sake of allowing more time.

"Plus ca change ..."
    March 14th is crunch day for T. May. If the answer to Benn's 'for what are you going to use the extension' is 'more plan A', then surely to the Lord all defenestration will break loose, by Tigger, by VONC, by 1922 rule change.

A proper, or at least a better, answer will be needed to go to the EU. One that should satisfy Macron at least. AIUI, extension is a verbal unanimity from CoM meeting, so perhaps they can just lock Conte in a cupboard for a few hours until he agrees, in the event that Italian mischief making occurs.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The latest polling shows about 42% favouring No Deal.
  • Options
    F1: Ferrari down a smidge to 2.62 for the title. Too short to tempt me, given the time frame involved.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Anorak said:

kinabalu said:

Agree on the sticky ground.

You can also be a "catholic atheist" or "protestant atheist" as indicators of style, or as Dawkins put it once (which may have been in the Graun) you can be an "athiest".
  • Options
    MattW said:

148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

That's not very convincing, and "Perfect" or "a very long time" seem to me to be a little overegging the pudding.

Papal Infallibility was made into a dogma in I think 1870 or so, and is circumscribed to the Pope speaking in his (accepted by RCs) role as successor of St Peter, relating to "matters of faith or morals". I think the number of times it has been used in 150 years and accepted throughout the RC Church is exactly once.

The Doctrine of Infallibility of the Church is one I had not heard of referenced in that fashion, but seems to relate to the Authority of Ecumenical (ie with authority accepted by the entire Church Militant) Councils. The last of these was in, I think, Niceae II in 787AD.

You perhaps need to be taking history into account that is more recent than 787AD?

I would describe Perfectibility as more of a Protestant thing in churches with a 'Holiness' background, but that will take us down a theological rabbit hole.
    I mean, if we're ignoring any dogma that started before 787, do we think the RCC is no longer claiming that Jesus IS god rather than just a prophet OF god?

Facetiousness aside, when your church is based on you being the only path to eternal bliss, you are making a moral claim about being the only way of goodness, and therefore close to, if not, perfect. But then I am an atheist and always have been, and theology always confuses me.
  • Options
    Errrrrr....Trump looks like he's got some issues.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Just watched the opening of the Cohen hearing and what an utter farce.

Republicans - quite rightly - raised the issue that the written evidence/statements were not provided to them 24 hours before the start of the hearing and the Chair just pushed on regardless

They were right to demand a postponement so that the material could be properly digested but the Democrat majority pushed it through.

When the rules of the committee are ignored to create political theatre, there is something wrong with the system.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Anorak said:

Oh allah, yes, let's not then. All the "is it a bird, is it a plane?" business. That is a road to perdition.

I would like to throw in a soft v hard definition of feminism too, however, just to take us into less choppy waters.

Soft - Women are equal in worth to men and should have equal rights.

Hard - The world can only be understood properly if viewed as a patriarchy. The whole of human history is the story of the exploitation of women by men.

Here too, most people are soft feminists (or at least say they are) but few are of the hard variety.

In this case I think I am one of the few not the many.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andrew said:

Does the Notification Act remove the governments prerogative to revoke, as well as invoke?
    The Act only granted the power to invoke notification of A50. There are different legal opinions as whether that means that there was an implicit power to revoke contained within that clause but I'd suggest that the Act should be read as written, rather than as imagined.

The argument re the prerogative would be that a government would not be able to revoke by prerogative an action that was explicitly granted by legislation, when the contrary power was not explicitly granted.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited February 2019

Errrrrr....Trump looks like he's got some issues.

What from Cohen? He's about to go to prison and has admitted lying to Congress. He's a nobody
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

Oh allah, yes, let's not then. All the "is it a bird, is it a plane?" business. That is a road to perdition.

I would like to throw in a soft v hard definition of feminism too, however, just to take us into less choppy waters.

Hard - The world can only be understood properly if viewed as a patriarchy. The whole of human history is the story of the exploitation of women by men.

Here too, most people are soft feminists (or at least say they are) but few are of the hard variety.

I think it's more the case that throughout history the powerful have exploited the weak. The powerful have mostly been men (but there have been powerful women) while the weak may be either sex.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,360
    AndyJS said:

There is evidence that some people think no deal means that we do not leave.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,199
    AndyJS said:

If there was a referendum tomorrow with the options of remaining in the EU, accepting the government’s Brexit agreement, or leaving the EU without a deal, which would you support?

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-there-was-a-referendum-tomorrow-with-the-option-of-remaining-in-the-eu-accepting-the-governments-brexit-agreement-or-leaving-the-eu-without-a-deal-which-would-you-support-2-2/
  • Options
    eek said:
    Has Rees Mogg, Blackford and Caroline Lucas on the order paper so will go through without division I expect.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:

If there was a referendum tomorrow with the options of remaining in the EU, accepting the government’s Brexit agreement, or leaving the EU without a deal, which would you support?

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-there-was-a-referendum-tomorrow-with-the-option-of-remaining-in-the-eu-accepting-the-governments-brexit-agreement-or-leaving-the-eu-without-a-deal-which-would-you-support-2-2/
    Once you exclude DKs it’s not too far off.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Anorak said:

kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

On the contrary, I know Jewish Athiests, Muslim Athiests, Hindu Athiests, Catholic Athiests, and Presbyterian Athiests (like my father). Each is quite certain of the God that they don't believe in!
    I'd argue that they are "from a Catholic family", etc, rather than a Catholic per se. AIUI - because I'm not a Jew - being Jewish doesn't work like that.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

There is evidence that some people think no deal means that we do not leave.
    If by 'evidence' you mean a furiously retweeted twitter 'poll', sure.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,016
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:

That's dated January 18th. I suspect things may have changed since then.
  • Options

RobD said:

Andrew said:

The Act only granted the power to invoke notification of A50. There are different legal opinions as whether that means that there was an implicit power to revoke contained within that clause but I'd suggest that the Act should be read as written, rather than as imagined.

The argument re the prerogative would be that a government would not be able to revoke by prerogative an action that was explicitly granted by legislation, when the contrary power was not explicitly granted.
    For me the question would be whether the Act directed the Executive to invoke Article 50, or merely provided the power to do so. If the latter then it follows that it remains the discretion of the Executive when and whether to use that power, so I think it follows that the Executive has the power to revoke the notification. The former would then be your interpretation.
  • Options

Republicans - quite rightly - raised the issue that the written evidence/statements were not provided to them 24 hours before the start of the hearing and the Chair just pushed on regardless

They were right to demand a postponement so that the material could be properly digested but the Democrat majority pushed it through.

When the rules of the committee are ignored to create political theatre, there is something wrong with the system.

I’m not sure the Republicans have any moral authority to be complaining about misuse of majorities.
  • Options

I’m not sure the Republicans have any moral authority to be complaining about misuse of majorities.
    And no longer do the Democrats.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Israel is a hate object for those fanatics on the Left (e.g. Ken Livingstone) who see it as a racist white colonial enterprise sustained by a belief in racial and cultural supremacy and the oppression of those deemed inferior.

Israel is a love object for those fanatics on the Right (e.g. Katie Hopkins) who see it as a racist white colonial enterprise sustained by a belief in racial and cultural supremacy and the oppression of those deemed inferior.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

I think it's more the case that throughout history the powerful have exploited the weak. The powerful have mostly been men (but there have been powerful women) while the weak may be either sex.
    To an extent, that's true - but there can surely be little doubt that most societies have given men substantially more rights than women, whether at the top of society or the bottom. Kings ruled countries as men ruled households.

There are pre-20th century (or arguably, pre-21st century) exceptions of rich and powerful women but these are notable in large part simply because they are rare - and even then, they almost universally gained their power because of who they married or who fathered them.

That said, it's also true that many of these women readily adopted the exploitative habits and abuses of men in similar positions. The question feminists would (rightly) ask is whether they did so out of necessity in order to fit into a male-defined culture, or whether such actions are innate instincts to humans of either gender in such positions?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

So in a specific time and place the pope can be perfect. So it believes in perfection, to a degree.

The Sunni and the Shia believe their doctrine is infallibly correct.. someone is telling porkies!
  • Options

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

The Sunni and the Shia believe their doctrine is infallibly correct.. someone is telling porkies!
    I mean, I think the essence of most religions is to claim some kind of infallibility; otherwise what's the point of a religion? "Yeah, there's a god, but I dunno what he wants, try your best" may be wise words, but no prophet has spoken them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

RobD said:

Andrew said:

For me the question would be whether the Act directed the Executive to invoke Article 50, or merely provided the power to do so. If the latter then it follows that it remains the discretion of the Executive when and whether to use that power, so I think it follows that the Executive has the power to revoke the notification. The former would then be your interpretation.
    The judgment in the Miller case depended on the assumption of inevitable loss of statutory rights from invoking article 50. That argument doesn't apply to revoking it so the default should be that the power lies with the executive.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

To an extent, that's true - but there can surely be little doubt that most societies have given men substantially more rights than women, whether at the top of society or the bottom. Kings ruled countries as men ruled households.

There are pre-20th century (or arguably, pre-21st century) exceptions of rich and powerful women but these are notable in large part simply because they are rare - and even then, they almost universally gained their power because of who they married or who fathered them.

That said, it's also true that many of these women readily adopted the exploitative habits and abuses of men in similar positions. The question feminists would (rightly) ask is whether they did so out of necessity in order to fit into a male-defined culture, or whether such actions are innate instincts to humans of either gender in such positions?
    The latter. The will to power is common to both sexes.
  • Options
    Turns out the authors of that report suggesting the NHS was doomed unless the UK remained were totally unbiased experts.

https://order-order.com/2019/02/27/nhs-brexit-scare-report-written-diehard-remain-campaigners-former-eurocrats/

Who would have thunk it?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Anorak said:

Foxy said:

Anorak said:

kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

I'd argue that they are "from a Catholic family", etc, rather than a Catholic per se. AIUI - because I'm not a Jew - being Jewish doesn't work like that.
    I self-identify as a Catholic Atheist
  • Options

I think that would be very difficult if the UK hadn't participated in the EP elections, as that would mean that the EP might well not be properly constituted and so any legislation it passed could be invalid. Perhaps there might be ways round that but it wouldn't be certain without an CJEU ruling as to what was legal. It wouldn't just be that the UK wasn't there - it'd also potentially be that MEPs from other countries *were* there who shouldn't be (i.e. the expected-to-be-former seats for the UK).

If the UK isn't to leave until July or later, I think it'll need to be sorted out in March.

Put another way, if Labour is serious about an EURef2, it'll need to try to amend the extension date on the March 14 motion, as well as try to enable the process.

Interesting.

So if you're right TM just has to get this Deal through or else ... well that's the point, there is no or else. All plan B's lead to probable political oblivion.

Labour really should be doing absolutely nothing IMO.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

Given that both Sunni and Shia abhor pork, I think you need to find another word...
  • Options

RobD said:

Andrew said:

The judgment in the Miller case depended on the assumption of inevitable loss of statutory rights from invoking article 50. That argument doesn't apply to revoking it so the default should be that the power lies with the executive.
    I think the issue raised by David was a bit different - would revoking Article 50 involve cancelling the Invocation Act, which would be beyond Executive power?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    AndyJS said:

Does that include the 28% who think No Deal means we are staying in?

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2322312/26-of-poll-thinks-no-deal-means-stay-in-the-eu
  • Options

The Power by Naomi Alderman is a well-written exploration of that question.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

Disagree. To gain position, and retain it in a male dominated environment, one needed to conform.

Secondly, while doubtless there are venal, ambitious, and ruthless women as well as men, looking at the behaviour of only those who succeeded in a male world is an appalling sample bias.
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

I mean, I think the essence of most religions is to claim some kind of infallibility; otherwise what's the point of a religion? "Yeah, there's a god, but I dunno what he wants, try your best" may be wise words, but no prophet has spoken them.
    I think that's pretty close to the Quaker position.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Anorak said:

Disagree. To gain position, and retain it in a male dominated environment, one needed to conform.

Secondly, while doubtless there are venal, ambitious, and ruthless women as well as men, looking at the behaviour of only those who succeeded in a male world is an appalling sample bias.
    Yes, but over the past 100 years, it's become increasingly common to encounter women in positions in power. I don't think there's much evidence that they behave very differently from men in positions of power. We've got a much bigger sample now.
  • Options
    During the Merovingian period, women were regents for child-kings. When Alexius Comnenus went to fight off Robert Guiscard's invasion of the Baltic, he left his mum in charge of the Roman Empire (Guiscard's second wife was a commander on the battlefield).

And that's before we get into the Diadochi era (not chronologically, obviously): http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2015/10/macedonian-she-wolves.html

Painting history as men ruling and women serving is simplistic and inaccurate. Even in a very one-sided world (say, 15th/16th century England) there were advantages for women. Treason included disobeying a husband. So if a woman was guilty with her husband of murder, she could cite her duty to obey and get off without punishment.

https://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2018/10/advantages-for-women-in-middle-ages.html
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    OllyT said:

AndyJS said:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2322312/26-of-poll-thinks-no-deal-means-stay-in-the-eu
    That's a twitter "poll".

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1087061534596055040
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    # system error #
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

RobD said:

Andrew said:

I think the issue raised by David was a bit different - would revoking Article 50 involve cancelling the Invocation Act, which would be beyond Executive power?
    Ah, it was the latter then. The Act conferred the power on the PM but didn’t instruct her to use it.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

AndyJS said:

I think it is only 5% who think No Deal means Remain, but a fair few who have no idea what it means, including a fair percent of those who want it!

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/andrew-cooper-voters-just-want-brexit-over-with-whether-they-like-it-or-not-it-won-t-be-a4072886.html
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

MattW said:

148grss said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bladder,

Facetiousness aside, when your church is based on you being the only path to eternal bliss, you are making a moral claim about being the only way of goodness, and therefore close to, if not, perfect. But then I am an atheist and always have been, and theology always confuses me.
    I'm not suggesting ignore pre-787 (which having checked I think may actually be 604 !), I'm saying that the Infallibility of the Church cannot be nailed down to simply "x, y or z believes that they are perfect"; it is more subtle/provisional.

AIUI, the RC Church does not assert the "only path to eternal bliss" thing, but it sits alongside other beliefs around eg salvation outside the Church.

Within the variety of views, that may have been asserted alongside other interpretations, but it is towards the purist end. Rather as the Papal Infallibility dogma was asserted by a Pope who I see as being very keen on the Authority of the Papacy. These things always reflect pressures and circumstances.

The RC tradition evolves like everything else - observe the more liberal Vatican II vs the less liberal Vatican I, for example.

I need to exeunt now (not pursued by a bear). Cheers.

(Sorry - lost a blockquote.)
  • Options

During the Merovingian period, women were regents for child-kings. When Alexius Comnenus went to fight off Robert Guiscard's invasion of the Baltic, he left his mum in charge of the Roman Empire (Guiscard's second wife was a commander on the battlefield).

And that's before we get into the Diadochi era (not chronologically, obviously): http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2015/10/macedonian-she-wolves.html

Painting history as men ruling and women serving is simplistic and inaccurate. Even in a very one-sided world (say, 15th/16th century England) there were advantages for women. Treason included disobeying a husband. So if a woman was guilty with her husband of murder, she could cite her duty to obey and get off without punishment.

https://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2018/10/advantages-for-women-in-middle-ages.html

Hmmm. I think that's the same approach that would cite "free meals and accommodation" as an advantage of slavery.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Michael Crick
    ‏Verified account @MichaelLCrick

Labour’s Parliamentary Committee - senior PLP members - met this afternoon & I’m told everyone present agreed with Tom Watson that Chris Williamson should be suspended - except the non-MP rep from Corbyn’s office who was adamant they didn’t want him suspended

Corbyn calls Watsons bluff...
  • Options
    This chat reminds me of a silly Twitter incident a few years ago. It was International Women's Day and someone had put up Empress Irene as an example of a successful woman (citing the resolution of the iconoclasm). I, politely, pointed out she also had her own son blinded so brutally he ended up dying of his wounds and, perhaps, she wasn't an ideal poster girl for womanhood.

The tweet to which I replied was deleted. I was then blocked by the chap who put up a practically identical tweet claiming he'd deleted the first because of a grammatical error, or suchlike.

Discussions about things can get bogged down when people refuse to engage with varying viewpoints. But there we are.
This discussion has been closed.