Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn harking back to LAB’s GE2017 vote share is no solution

Comments

• Options
    Lala out on TV again.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Another febrile day of transference and projection on all sides. Earlier this evening we were told a deal was being hammered out. TM makes a brief trip....nowt. All predictions are ultimately futile and pointless till something actually happens...or doesn't.
    888 hours to Brexit.

Let's wait until it gets to 666 before we panic.
    2019-03-02 05:00 is your panic hour.
    That's the devil of a time to have a panic. Why couldn't it be noon?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pauly said:

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1098343452889309190
    Owen Smith? Peter Kyle? Liz Kendall? Ian Murray? Siobhain McDonagh? Ian Austin? So many choices left...

Ian Murray is one to watch. Edinburgh South is an interesting constituency, very Remain and full of affluent types voting tactically to keep out the SNP. He might fancy a shot at holding it for TIG in a snap GE.
    There was polling done in the last couple of year specifically for Edinburgh South asking if you would back Murray if he stood for an independent "Stop Brexit" coalition.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Pauly said:

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1098343452889309190
    Owen Smith? Peter Kyle? Liz Kendall? Ian Murray? Siobhain McDonagh? Ian Austin? So many choices left...

Ian Murray is one to watch. Edinburgh South is an interesting constituency, very Remain and full of affluent types voting tactically to keep out the SNP. He might fancy a shot at holding it for TIG in a snap GE.
    I wouldn't rule out John Woodcock. Also Ruth Smeeth.
    Pedant's revolt: Woodcook currently sits as an Independent already...
    That's a different sort of independent. He can still move to the TIGs.
    ah, but he can't "defect from Labour" as per the tweet.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

England are making this look easy. Admittedly the catching has made it a lot easier but jeez, this game has moved on.

YOu silly sod...
    A truly disgraceful post by David.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    He is the expert on the media fawning and adulating over a party...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Endillion said:

He is the expert on the media fawning and adulating over a party...
    Tru dat
  • Options
    Owen Jones really needs to make his mind up. These people are either red Tories who have no place in the Labour Party or he’s cool with co-existing with the moderates. All this moaning from him is just nauseating. Corbyn will no doubt not be too fussed by the departures as it means that the Labour left consolidate their control over the party. More moderates go, the more Labour will look to replace them with Momentum backed candidates.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

England are making this look easy. Admittedly the catching has made it a lot easier but jeez, this game has moved on.

YOu silly sod...
    For goodness sake. It’s not like I said Radiohead were worth listening to or something.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    Dominic Grieve confirms on Newsnight he would leave the Tory Party if No Deal
  • Options
    Dominic Grieve saying on Newsnight he would resign the whip if No Deal.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited February 2019

A Labour split is logical, not just because of Corbyn but that I don’t think the Labour left and the moderates can live together period under one tent. After 1983, the left was essentially shut down within the party, and the exact same is happening to the modernisers now. The last thirty years has shown the two factions need to go their separate ways.

Maybe these things go in cycles inside parties, just as politics goes in cycles in terms of who Governs and who opposes. Indeed, Britain's engagement with Europe tends to go in cycles as well. I am afraid to say it will probably never be resolved until we have committed to Europe and cannot reverse our way out i.e. member of the Euro and full political union. Not that I support either of those developments but I do think Brexit is the wrong choice to make.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

John Mann's speech in the Commons today.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2019-02-20/debates/993F895E-D215-4773-A464-1A6320523B0E/AntisemitismInModernSociety#contribution-3697F29B-93EA-4016-AE6B-C40017640901

Direct quote:

"The enablers of antisemitism are as big a problem as the antisemites, and they are more numerous. It is time the enablers were exposed. I have exposed one: Kevin Maguire—an enabler of racism."

Hypothetically If I wanted to lie about someone and smear someone but was too cowardly to take the consequences then doing so in parliament as an MP but not repeating myself outside parliament would be the approach I would take.

I won't be holding my breath on this one...
    What is it that bothers you about John Mann's speech?
    Edit: Just to make clear you are not an enabler of racism (AFAIK)

Would you have a problem if John Mann called you an enabler of racism?

But did it in a cowardly way that meant he wouldn't face consequences.

A question I've asked multiple people but haven't got an answer yet... do you think John will repeat his accusations without protection or is he too cowardly?
    I don't like the idea that libel/slander laws can be used to intimidate people from speaking out.

I'm sure I would not like to be called an enabler of racism, but it would make no difference to me whether this was said in Parliament or elsewhere as it wouldn't occur to me to take someone to court for it.

I'd be desperate to convince them that they were mistaken though. I wonder whether Kevin Maguire is interested in trying to convince John Mann that he is mistaken?
    Nothing I have seen when McGuire does the paper reviews would lead me to think he was an enabler or what he normally publishes. Indeed, watching the clip from parliament puzzles me as to what he has meant to have done that is so offensive. I doubt McGuire would have done what he is accused of doing and he is probably mortified that he is being discussed about in this way. The media often misreport second hand news and if Mann was not a Eurosceptic it would not surprise me if he was next to defect!
    I don't remember clearly who he is, so I didn't intend my comment to imply a judgement on the issue raised - just that it's the substance of what was said that should be more important than where it was said.

It feels like Jezziah is trying to avoid the issue by talking about a process issue instead.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

YOu silly sod...
    For goodness sake. It’s not like I said Radiohead were worth listening to or something.
    The betting markets still make us a 99.4% shot
  • Options
    Perhaps there is an opportunity for spread betting here. How many MPs still in Labour by the end of the month?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,948

Soubry on message: not tribal. This is about a new movement to break the twin party system.

This is not just Brexit.

Could all fall to bits, but what a moment we are seeing...

Not tribal my arse, We’ll see how well that holds together the first time one votes for something the other previously viciously opposed.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited February 2019

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2019-02-20/debates/993F895E-D215-4773-A464-1A6320523B0E/AntisemitismInModernSociety#contribution-3697F29B-93EA-4016-AE6B-C40017640901

Direct quote:

"The enablers of antisemitism are as big a problem as the antisemites, and they are more numerous. It is time the enablers were exposed. I have exposed one: Kevin Maguire—an enabler of racism."

Hypothetically If I wanted to lie about someone and smear someone but was too cowardly to take the consequences then doing so in parliament as an MP but not repeating myself outside parliament would be the approach I would take.

A question I've asked multiple people but haven't got an answer yet... do you think John will repeat his accusations without protection or is he too cowardly?
    I don't like the idea that libel/slander laws can be used to intimidate people from speaking out.

I'm sure I would not like to be called an enabler of racism, but it would make no difference to me whether this was said in Parliament or elsewhere as it wouldn't occur to me to take someone to court for it.

I'd be desperate to convince them that they were mistaken though. I wonder whether Kevin Maguire is interested in trying to convince John Mann that he is mistaken?
    If you thought they were a political opponent doing so for cynical reasons?

I don't care for suing people particularly, I don't insult easily. But if Mann said I was an enabler of racism I'd drag the lying bastard through the courts and sue his ass.

I don't like the idea on intimidating people from speaking out but my problem is I think that is exactly what Mann is doing here. He is trying to taking down a political enemy and he is using the cover of the house of commons.

I don't think Mann is interesting in changing his mind, if Kevin were to change his political opinions and support Mann political positions that would probably do the trick. Not sure it is worth selling out his soul to appease a bully though.
  • Options
    In a markedly different response to the Labour leadership over its defectors, No10 and Cabinet ministers held the door firmly open to the three MPs’ return to the Tory fold one day.

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said: “These are extremely talented people, and I hope one day we can invite them back into the Conservative family”.

Leading Brexiteers also refused to condemn them, with former Tory boss Iain Duncan Smith also calling for the three’s return one day, dubbing the Tories “a broad church which is tolerant and decent”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8473872/tories-breaking-point-mps-defect-independent-group
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    GIN1138 said:

The conciliatory gestures and comments from the PM down slapped away then....."ah sweet the air from all my burning bridges".....
    Think Con's going to have to call an election for the Summer - Will leave Chuka and Heidi out in the cold standing as independents in their constituency's with no real time to formulate a campaign or policy agenda.
    Once we are past March 29 I think a GE is the only way forward for the tories , and puts a quick end to the independent group before it has any chance to develop
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    May - she is giving it a good go to be fair.....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

HYUFD said:

But he doesn't want to vote for the current deal. Indeed, he doesn't want any deal. He wants to remain,

I am somewhat fed up with Grieve. He tries to present a cool, calm, rational image - but he is as fixed and unyielding as anyone in this process.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Did Grieve vote for the WA ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Soubry on message: not tribal. This is about a new movement to break the twin party system.

This is not just Brexit.

Not tribal my arse, We’ll see how well that holds together the first time one votes for something the other previously viciously opposed.
    +1.
  • Options
    Personally I preferred it when One Day cricket matches were games of proper cricket completed in one day rather than slogathons.

This for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XgoUwFq0RA
  • Options

Owen Jones really needs to make his mind up.

Ah, I think I have identified the problem...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2019
    Owen Jones is saying almost exactly the same thing about the media that Tony Benn was saying about it with regard to the SDP in the early 80s. Benn was obsessed with the idea that the media and the BBC were mouthpieces for the Alliance, (especially Peter Snow of Newsnight IIRC).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

But he doesn't want to vote for the current deal. Indeed, he doesn't want any deal. He wants to remain,

I am somewhat fed up with Grieve. He tries to present a cool, calm, rational image - but he is as fixed and unyielding as anyone in this process.
    Likewise. If you don’t want no deal vote for the deal. Simples.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Nope. So essentially he votes for no-deal, then gets upset when no-deal happens.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Isn't he trying to blackmail his own party into supporting his view - by threatening to quit if they don't?

Hardliners on all sides are not helping anyone.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Direct quote:

So now Labour's supporters are their own political opponents?

This isn't going to end well.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

Morgan gone. Collapse!

Lol. For a second I thought you meant Nicky Morgan!
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

GIN1138 said:

The conciliatory gestures and comments from the PM down slapped away then....."ah sweet the air from all my burning bridges".....
    Think Con's going to have to call an election for the Summer - Will leave Chuka and Heidi out in the cold standing as independents in their constituency's with no real time to formulate a campaign or policy agenda.
    Once we are past March 29 I think a GE is the only way forward for the tories , and puts a quick end to the independent group before it has any chance to develop
    The group is already up to 14% in the latest poll, that is more than the LDs got in the last 2 general elections
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Direct quote:

I don't care for suing people particularly, I don't insult easily. But if Mann said I was an enabler of racism I'd drag the lying bastard through the courts and sue his ass.

I don't like the idea on intimidating people from speaking out but my problem is I think that is exactly what Mann is doing here. He is trying to taking down a political enemy and he is using the cover of the house of commons.

I don't think Mann is interesting in changing his mind, if Kevin were to change his political opinions and support Mann political positions that would probably do the trick. Not sure it is worth selling out his soul to appease a bully though.
    Right, so why not trust to the truth of the matter prevailing, rather than harping on about using the court system to shut people up?
  • Options
    Went to a New Statesman Brexit and the left event this evening. Came away feeling rather sad. So, this evening left me sad. In their different ways, Paul Mason and Stella Creasy described an engaged and engaging Labour party that would be well worth being a part of. But then I remembered the anti-Semitic Morning Star Brexiteers are in charge and knew it could never be.
  • Options

kle4 said:

This is not just Brexit.

+1.
    +1

Or should that be +2 ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I presume he would support another vote if opinion were to shift again, because we conduct everything by opinion poll.

And his support for a second referendum is contingent on him expecting to win it I see, since he only backs it because he thinks the public has changed its mind. If they hadn't he would still not vote for Brexit but he'd not want to test it.

I truly hope he does not get away with enhancing his reputation in all this. He's bright, but unscrupulous and dishonest in his intentions, yet because many want to remain (and reluctantly I'd agree it is our best option now) they pretend he is some paragon of virtue, when he is the Rees Mogg of the remainers.
  • Options
    I found Leslie’s comments re leadership and membership interesting. How does this group intend to elect a leader? Only MPs voting? Or are looking to the public? If it’s the latter they haven’t learned their lesson from last time....
  • Options
    Root better be careful here. He could run out of runs.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Ian Austin gone.

Taken Labour off his Twitter profile just now.

Just says MP now.

Official announcement tomorrow.

Ian Murray Friday
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He wants Remain or a BINO as close to it as possible
  • Options

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

Well spotted
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I don't think he did but anyway voting for the WA is not voting for No Deal
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

A Labour split is logical, not just because of Corbyn but that I don’t think the Labour left and the moderates can live together period under one tent. After 1983, the left was essentially shut down within the party, and the exact same is happening to the modernisers now. The last thirty years has shown the two factions need to go their separate ways.

I've thought this for a long time, and quit the party myself when I saw the writing on the wall. The problem is that many people in the labour party are hopelessly tribal, and are in denial about the situation. This will go on until they either submit to the hard left, or are forced out.

• Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Nothing I have seen when McGuire does the paper reviews would lead me to think he was an enabler or what he normally publishes. Indeed, watching the clip from parliament puzzles me as to what he has meant to have done that is so offensive. I doubt McGuire would have done what he is accused of doing and he is probably mortified that he is being discussed about in this way. The media often misreport second hand news and if Mann was not a Eurosceptic it would not surprise me if he was next to defect!
    I don't remember clearly who he is, so I didn't intend my comment to imply a judgement on the issue raised - just that it's the substance of what was said that should be more important than where it was said.

It feels like Jezziah is trying to avoid the issue by talking about a process issue instead.
    https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1098296799134138368

Basically Kevin committed the mortal crime of disagreeing with John Mann, this makes him an enabler of racism.

Racism is when you disagree with John Mann FWIW, at least it can be when John Mann is making speeches in parliament and has protections from any consequences his words might have.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    DavidL said:

Root better be careful here. He could run out of runs.

I was terrified he would be out after that comment given your record.

This has been an extraordinary chase by England. I didn't give them even one chance in five at the changeover.

Edit - and yet the curse of @DavidL strikes again!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Stephen Kinnock says his first reaction when hearing about Derek Hatton being readmitted was "Derek who?". What a liar!
  • Options
    360 run down and Buttler didn’t even get a bat.
  • Options

Kirsty corrects Soubry's latin.

Only on the BBC :smiley:

It was her Spanish.

(Sorry, only on PB)

:smiley:
  • Options

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

I appreciate them slaking our thirst for more defections like this, though it will prove a big disappointment when the drip feed of MPs leaving stops. after having got used to a regular announcement of them.

I'm hoping for a LD defection. Doesn't make much sense, given the Tiggers' one and only policy the LDs already back, but I'd like everyone shaken up by this. I'd hope for one from the SNP too, but I'd heard no SNP MP has ever even gone against the whip, so that seems unlikely.
  • Options

Owen Jones really needs to make his mind up. These people are either red Tories who have no place in the Labour Party or he’s cool with co-existing with the moderates. All this moaning from him is just nauseating. Corbyn will no doubt not be too fussed by the departures as it means that the Labour left consolidate their control over the party. More moderates go, the more Labour will look to replace them with Momentum backed candidates.

The problem is the anti-Semitic Stalinist left - the Morning Star Brexiteers in and around the leader’s office. The rest of the left can co-exist, even if it doesn’t always get along. I’d share a party with Paul Mason. I couldn’t share one with Seamus Milne, Andrew Murray or Derek Hatton.

• Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1098296799134138368

Basically Kevin committed the mortal crime of disagreeing with John Mann, this makes him an enabler of racism.

Racism is when you disagree with John Mann FWIW, at least it can be when John Mann is making speeches in parliament and has protections from any consequences his words might have.

Thanks. That's a lot more persuasive to me then nonsense about whether an MP will repeat statements outside the Commons.
  • Options
    Root scores a century at a quicker pace than Gayle's innings, despite hitting no sixes. Impressive.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    The Express really is a sad fucking comic.

Its political coverage is only beaten in shitness by its forays into meteorology.
  • Options

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

Ian Austin's bio has just said 'MP for Dudley' for a while. I agree he's likely to jump, though.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    If it's anything that's even close to legally binding it passes IMO. I think fear of losing the majority will keep a lot of people in line now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

360 run down and Buttler didn’t even get a bat.

You were saying....
  • Options

Went to a New Statesman Brexit and the left event this evening. Came away feeling rather sad. So, this evening left me sad. In their different ways, Paul Mason and Stella Creasy described an engaged and engaging Labour party that would be well worth being a part of. But then I remembered the anti-Semitic Morning Star Brexiteers are in charge and knew it could never be.

I do wonder how long it will be before Mason falls out with the Jezza show. He seems thoughtful, imaginative and at least interested in mapping the future of economics and politics, rather than running a 1970s reenactment society with a large dash of anti-semitism.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Voting for the WA is indeed not voting for No Deal. However, not voting for the WA, or voting against the WA, is voting for No Deal. Confused? I am.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

That means they've overtaken the LDs. Could be important in terms of things like PMQs.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Right, so why not trust to the truth of the matter prevailing, rather than harping on about using the court system to shut people up?
    Sorry but where do you draw the line?

If a group of people were running around my town convincing everyone I was a paedophile should I just be hoping 'the truth outs'?

I don't mind some random idiot on the street calling me any type of name really but if a public figure wanted to make a false accusation like racism against me I would sue their lying ass and prove I am innocent of the false charges.

How is this truth supposed to out exactly?

Some people will see what Mann said and believe it without discover the truth.
  • Options
    And Buttler wins with his first and only hit.

That is incredible. What a performance from Roy, Root and to a lesser extent Morgan.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    edited February 2019
    kle4 said:

I'm hoping for a LD defection. Doesn't make much sense, given the Tiggers' one and only policy the LDs already back, but I'd like everyone shaken up by this. I'd hope for one from the SNP too, but I'd heard no SNP MP has ever even gone against the whip, so that seems unlikely.

The Tiggers could morph into an English civic nationalist pro-EU party, so I hope no Scottish MPs join.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Its political coverage is only beaten in shitness by its forays into meteorology.
    But they do keep us right about Diana. Which is a public service in itself.
  • Options
    Obviously I do not operate at such exalted levels, but I find when drafting something that when the higher ups get all twitchy and obsessed about very precise wording in attempt to forestall problems, it at best doesn't prevent those problems and at worst causes new ones.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

That means they've overtaken the LDs. Could be important in terms of things like PMQs.
    Not until they become something more than a set of independents
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922
    Don't tell me. Cameron had an idea but devoted insufficient resources to it, got serious too late, and failed in his objective. Not like he's ever done that before... :)
  • Options
    Tusk sounding open to a faffing-only A50 extension:
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1098349354757308416
  • Options
    DavidL said:

_Anazina_ said:

And house prices are always up.
  • Options

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

Good riddance in the case of Austin, any hopes he takes the cowardly little John Mann as well or is that too much to hope for?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922

Well that makes it all OK then... :(
  • Options
    Jezza looks tired, ill and lost in the thread video. Just a bad day at the office, or is it all getting too much?
  • Options

Oh FFS Tusk, I'd have hoped as an at least occasional grown up you'd know that fucking around to no purpose is pointless. If both sides think no deal is so bad that further can kicking is preferred, its also preferred for one or the other to just bloody capitulate already.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

Good riddance in the case of Austin, any hopes he takes the cowardly little John Mann as well or is that too much to hope for?
    I don't understand this attitude at all. I don't agree with everything that Soubry says but I'd rather have her in the tent than not.
  • Options

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

Roy Jenkins, with his legendary lisp: 'I leave without rancour.'

Skinner: 'I thought you were taking Marquand with you?'

It only took 15 years to get over that split...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Which is my point.

Voting for the Deal is a vote against No Deal.

But Grieve did not vote for the Deal.
  • Options
    More of that "fawning media coverage":

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1098273417588023296
  • Options

Jezza looks tired, ill and lost in the thread video. Just a bad day at the office, or is it all getting too much?

Well May is often looking very peaky these days as well, it's tough times for them both.
  • Options

He looks to have lost weight and does look ill IMO. It would not surprise me if he quits this summer....
  • Options

It was too much within five minutes of being elected. He's just not willing to accept he isn't up to it.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

GIN1138 said:

The group is already up to 14% in the latest poll, that is more than the LDs got in the last 2 general elections
    The group won’t be mps if we have a swift GE this summer. Cutting off the head quickly before it develops
  • Options
    DavidL said:

_Anazina_ said:

And "miracle cures" for arthritis.....
  • Options

A special place in purgatory
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

I don't understand this attitude at all. I don't agree with everything that Soubry says but I'd rather have her in the tent than not.
    Plenty of Tories would disagree though, it's not surprising some in Labour take such an attitude.

On the question of media coverage for the new group, well it is very exciting indeed, you really do not see this thing very often, so of course there will be breathless coverage.

Plus it is only partly to do with Brexit and actually has things happen rather than can kicking and votes that don't mean anything, so lets hope for more!
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

YOu silly sod...
    I have the bends in my top 10 i like it
  • Options

I don't know if Owen is internally consistent or not.

He may share my view of glad to see the back of some of them, like Chris Leslie, and will use any excuse to attack them (much like they have with the left) and the betrayal theme is a useful one.

Which is a consistent viewpoint, although I try to actually be 'externally' consistent on here so personally I don't criticise their actual leaving.
  • Options
    The Cult are in full hyperventilate mode tonight on social media. Beta blockers needed urgently.

Do I detect a certain amount of fear that the anointed one is in trouble?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That is incredible. What a performance from Roy, Root and to a lesser extent Morgan.

Morgan's knock was key. As the run rate started to go up he pressed the accelerator and ended the game as a contest. This really is a fabulous England one day team, we should treasure it.
  • Options
    Won't happen of course, events have moved beyond it, but I wonder what would happen if, say, Corbyn stood down as leader and was replaced by someone more to the moderates' liking. Would the Labour Tiggers return home, or having made the break are they gone forever?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    viewcode said:

Don't tell me. Cameron had an idea but devoted insufficient resources to it, got serious too late, and failed in his objective. Not like he's ever done that before... :)
    The trio went out of their way to praise his leadership of the Tories whilst they denigrated the current PM. He may have achieved one objective in not having his bad decision to have the referendum in the first place be the focus of their ire. I would say though that the current PMs inept capacity to execute a decision on where the country goes next has certainly made things worse - she is simply unable to meet the challenges of being PM. Some of us thought she was completely unsuited to the role as PM but as usual the sycophants and party machine faithful's claimed we misjudged her....
  • Options

I do wonder how long it will be before Mason falls out with the Jezza show. He seems thoughtful, imaginative and at least interested in mapping the future of economics and politics, rather than running a 1970s reenactment society with a large dash of anti-semitism.

He was excellent this evening. Very scathing of what he described as Morning Star Stalinists and very clear in his frustration at the Labour leaderships Brexit positioning. Thecstar was Stella Creasy, though. She made mincemeat of the Lexiteer Grace Blakeley.

• Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    ydoethur said:

It was too much within five minutes of being elected. He's just not willing to accept he isn't up to it.
    He’s a protester. A rebel. You cant do that from a throne with a crown on, compromise to ensure forward movement just isn’t him
  • Options

Ian Austin gone.

Just says MP now.

Ian Murray Friday

Purity is all!!!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Morgan's knock was key. As the run rate started to go up he pressed the accelerator and ended the game as a contest. This really is a fabulous England one day team, we should treasure it.
    We are very, very good. But, we need to prove ourselves on the big stage - at this summer’s World Cup.
  • Options

He was excellent this evening. Very scathing of what he described as Morning Star Stalinists and very clear in his frustration at the Labour leaderships Brexit positioning. Thecstar was Stella Creasy, though. She made mincemeat of the Lexiteer Grace Blakeley.

Mason has repeatedly said Jezza should reach out and put talented, hard working soft left MPs like Yvette in his Cabinet.

Ignored of course.
  • Options
    On the TIGgers, I agree with those who feel that May will get her deal through. As long as No Deal is the alternative then she will win a vote, and may even get some concessions to ease the passage.

I'd go one step further and suggest that the TIGgers already expect this to happen, and their strategy is to supplant Labour as the major opposition with the primary aim of rejoining.

I'd also agree with those who see a general election as likely. The conservatives have the chance to capitalise on labour in disarray, and the TIGgers not yet organised, and the anti-tory vote split. They can't not seek to take advantage. When this happens, and whether May is leader, are more difficult questions to answer.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Won't happen of course, events have moved beyond it, but I wonder what would happen if, say, Corbyn stood down as leader and was replaced by someone more to the moderates' liking. Would the Labour Tiggers return home, or having made the break are they gone forever?

Could see mass suicides amongst the Cult should Jezza stand down.
This discussion has been closed.