Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Independents’ day. The implications for Jeremy Corbyn

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_F said:

eek said:
    Their description of the ERG is correct. However, their voting records show that they are not prepared to tolerate any form of Brexit, despite their manifesto commitments.
    Did they not vote to trigger Article 50? I don't recall.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

justin124 said:

The effect is to halve the Government's majority - even with DUP support.

The three conservative mps defecting to TIG have said they will vote with the government on occassions and certainly they will not support a vonc
    True, but back in 2017 they said they'd support Brexit.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_P said:
    How is Soubry leaving surprising? She's been openly opposed to the government for years now.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

eek said:
    Their description of the ERG is correct. However, their voting records show that they are not prepared to tolerate any form of Brexit, despite their manifesto commitments.
    I expect they would take a Norway/ETFA etc plan.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    That's not an accurate statement.

The Home Secretary also needs to be convinced they have acted in a manner "seriously prejudicial" to the interests of the UK.
    And if someone like Corbyn were appointing the Home Secretary?
    The law still applies and any decision is still reviewable by the courts. ...
    I really think it would be better if the law prescribed specific conditions for depriving people of citizenship, rather than a vague one like "conducive to the public good". That's the case in the USA, incidentally.
    We are a Common Law nation. No reason the courts can't apply common sense.

Even if it did it wouldn't change the outcome in this case. Pretty sure treason and joining a proscribed terrorist group would be on the specific conditions list.
    You're surely not being serious about "common law" meaning the courts reach decisions based on "common sense" rather than law, are you? I never know when people are posting silly stuff just for amusement here.

Fortunately whether people have committed treason isn't decided by online comments (at least not yet). I hope this case will be properly examined at appeal, and it will be interesting to see the conclusion.
    Actually to some extent he is correct. We do still have the situation where a jury can decide not to follow the law if it feels it is wrong. The judge is supposed to neutrally advise on the letter of the law but the jury does not have to follow his guidance if they choose not to.
    Given they are finders of fact only, I don't see how they could.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012
    Can some spod work out what the tory + bowler hatted lunatics' majority is now? Or even if it still exists?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

So who is next then.....

Theresa May?

• Options

It makes Jeremy Hunt's argument to the EU look a bit silly.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/19/brexit-labour-jeremy-hunt-eu

Jeremy Hunt has seized on Labour’s split, claiming to European foreign ministers it proved that only concessions to win round Conservative rightwingers will get the Brexit deal through the Commons.

No its entirely correct still. Wollaston etc were opposed to any Brexit deal. Despite being elected on that pledge.
  • Options
    As I predicted a very gracious letter from TM to the three defectors and as Sky has just said, so much in contrast to Corbyn's attitude to his defectors
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Sodium said:

eek said:

Regarding Shamima Begum I was just about OK with it as I thought she had Bangladesh Citizenship, as she only has the possibility of the right to Bangladesh citizenship I'm rather more dubious now.

Then I saw

https://twitter.com/gordonguthrie/status/1098135780495642624

and it doesn't seem such a great idea...

She is not having her citizenship revoked because she has a Bangladeshi passport though. It is because she joined a terrorist organisation completely at odds to our entire way of life.

It's like saying you can't put someone in jail for murder because then they could also put you in jail for being Jewish.
    Define "completely at odds to our entire way of life" is the problem.

And don't give Jeremy ideas wrt putting Jewish people in jail.

And welcome!
    Is it really controversial to have a situation whereby if you join a proscribed terrorist organisation abroad, we have the right to forbid your re-entry to the UK if possible?

The original counter was it would render her stateless, if there is now a way of getting around that, what’s the problem?
    Well indeed.

And people are speaking about this as if Javid is creating a new law that could be exploited in the future. He's not he is using exist laws that were created by his predecessors.

If you don't like the law maybe campaign to get the law changed. But I don't think Javid is doing anything wrong implementing the existing law how he has.
    Quite true. But this case has highlighted the difficulties with the current law - which effectively gives the Home Secretary the power of exile in a particular set of cases. And for a particular class of UK born citizens.

All Jews have an entitlement to Israeli citizenship - it's not a stretch to see how this could be used against them:

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/shamima-begum-should-not-be-stripped-of-her-citizenship-1.480316

For all that, @Philip_Thompson is right, Javid is acting reasonably and doing the right thing by this country under the law as it stands. It's not exactly fair on Bangladesh, though, is it? A change to the law should be considered.
    It is because of the existence of people like Corbyn and those he associates with that Jews need that backstop. They have learnt through bitter experience that even the most civilised countries can turn on them. That some Jews feel that this is a possibility in Britain is a matter of great sadness and deep shame.

• Options
    It looks likely to me that there will be more defections on both sides.

Note there have already been more Conservative MP defections to the centre than took place to the SDP.
  • Options
    Roger said:

MattW said:

Roger said:

Two thirds of all MPs don't want to Leave the EU

Two thirds of Labour MPs don't want Corbyn as leader.

Parliamentary democracy rules OK!

Four fifths of MPs voted in support of leaving the EU ...
    I must have missed that vote
    They voted to enact A50. That is an explicit vote to leave the EU.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

_Anazina_ said:

https://twitter.com/seddonnews/status/1098165445834801153?s=21

Grim. He certainly wont be getting my vote.

Who cares? The entire mayoralty is a complete nonsense, geographically. It does NOT include Gateshead, which is effectively part of Newcastle despite some old-school parochial voices claiming otherwise.

It's a classic example of what happens when you leave devolution at the mercy of parochial sentiment. The unit should have been Greater Newcastle, both sides of the Tyne, which would have commanded a population of around one million.

Stupid.
    Gateshead is not part of Newcastle. It is part of County Durham. A Mayor covering the area between Tyne and Tees would be my choice. Well, either a mayor or a Prince Bishop.
    It has not been part of County Durham for more than four decades. Almost no-one under the age of 60 considers it so. Is Brixton part of Surrey?

They should have built City Hall on the southbank in Gateshead and had a proper stab at an outward-looking Metro Mayoralty, a la Greater Manchester and Greater London. Instead, they chose parochialism and inward-looking stupidity.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

As I predicted a very gracious letter from TM to the three defectors and as Sky has just said, so much in contrast to Corbyn's attitude to his defectors

May knows she might need to dump the DUP and do a deal with the Tiggers.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

AndyJS said:

Sky News seem to think that 8+3=10.

Their letter says 'sitting alongside' TIG.
    Wollaston's letter to her constituents makes it clear she'll be part of TIG:

"I will be sitting alongside them in a new centre grouping of independent MPs who share a common set of values, The Independent Group. We agree with the millions of people who feel that neither main political party represents them and that there needs to be a new offer at the heart of our politics.

"I know that being an MP is an enormous privilege and I remain hugely grateful to everyone who has supported me. I know some will now call for me to stand in a by election but neither this nor a general election would answer the fundamental question that is dividing us... for that we need a referendum on the final Brexit deal.

"I will be listening carefully to views about The Independent Group and how this could develop in the future. I remain absolutely committed to this constituency."

http://www.drsarah.org.uk
  • Options

The Independent Group is now 7-4 Female majority. That's quite distinctive.

Good point!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

Yes. It’s noticeable that it has been women (and mostly middle-aged women) who have shown the courage needed.
  • Options
    Of the three, I think the loss of Anna Soubry is the most regrettable. She's a true Conservative.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Cyclefree said:

Yes. It’s noticeable that it has been women (and mostly middle-aged women) who have shown the courage needed.
    Conversely, the 'extreme' politicians with more convictions than sense tend disproportionately to be male.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Will we get the floor crossing theatre or will they all just enter on the opposition side ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Nothing ever changes in Mrs M's world.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

May knows she might need to dump the DUP and do a deal with the Tiggers.
    And lose the ERG? Dream on...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

Chris said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    That's not an accurate statement.

The Home Secretary also needs to be convinced they have acted in a manner "seriously prejudicial" to the interests of the UK.
    And if someone like Corbyn were appointing the Home Secretary?
    The law still applies and any decision is still reviewable by the courts. ...
    I really think it would be better if the law prescribed specific conditions for depriving people of citizenship, rather than a vague one like "conducive to the public good". That's the case in the USA, incidentally.
    We are a Common Law nation. No reason the courts can't apply common sense.

Even if it did it wouldn't change the outcome in this case. Pretty sure treason and joining a proscribed terrorist group would be on the specific conditions list.
    You're surely not being serious about "common law" meaning the courts reach decisions based on "common sense" rather than law, are you? I never know when people are posting silly stuff just for amusement here.

Fortunately whether people have committed treason isn't decided by online comments (at least not yet). I hope this case will be properly examined at appeal, and it will be interesting to see the conclusion.
    Actually to some extent he is correct. We do still have the situation where a jury can decide not to follow the law if it feels it is wrong. The judge is supposed to neutrally advise on the letter of the law but the jury does not have to follow his guidance if they choose not to.
    "Common law" just means law that applies to everyone, rather than a particular group. It has no reference whatsoever to "common sense".
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

Who cares? The entire mayoralty is a complete nonsense, geographically. It does NOT include Gateshead, which is effectively part of Newcastle despite some old-school parochial voices claiming otherwise.

It's a classic example of what happens when you leave devolution at the mercy of parochial sentiment. The unit should have been Greater Newcastle, both sides of the Tyne, which would have commanded a population of around one million.

Stupid.
    Gateshead is not part of Newcastle. It is part of County Durham. A Mayor covering the area between Tyne and Tees would be my choice. Well, either a mayor or a Prince Bishop.
    I mean it isn’t part of County Durham. Hasn’t been for a long time.
    Indeed. It was last part of County Durham on 31 March, 1974. Almost no-one of working age considers it so. Presumably Sandy also considers Walthamstow part of Essex, Willesden part of Middlesex, Brixton part of Surrey and Greenwich part of Kent?
  • Options
    Nicky Morgan's speedy tweet in response raises my eyebrows a little:

https://twitter.com/NickyMorgan01/status/1098178932904476672
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Note there have already been more Conservative MP defections to the centre than took place to the SDP.

Historically Tory defections to Labour seem to have been much more common than Tories defections to the centre (SDP / LDs). Something I have always wondered about.
  • Options
    How are the numbers now for a confidence vote ? True minority c&s now ?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I'd say it's still 50/50 whether this remains a temporary parliamentary thing or morphs into a new party or movement. A lot will depend on the public and polling response and whether they get backers, members and councillors.

The local elections are a massive opportunity for the Lib Dems. They already were, but now even more so. There's not much chance of TIG having a party machinery in place to contest them given the thousands of councillors up for election, so you'd expect an endorsement of the Lib Dems from TIG.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

eek said:
    I was thinking you meant the ERG with that last, for a moment there!
  • Options

Of the three, I think the loss of Anna Soubry is the most regrettable. She's a true Conservative.

Seconded. Though I don't want to see anyone leave, I found Allen's maiden speech very misjudged ("I picked the blue team") and I have had a huge amount of scepticism about Wollaston's integrity ever since her switch in the referendum (the implication being that she cynically pitched as Leave to win the seat in the first place). But Anna is a real loss.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Will we get the floor crossing theatre or will they all just enter on the opposition side ?

Presumably the latter as they have already quit and joined the Tiggers.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Boles

The parallel is that very many Tory associations have been taken over by Brexit loons just as surely as the Corbynista grip on local Labour

That's true to an extent. However, important as an issue as Brexit is, it is not the only one and will still pass. It is not defining the party in existential terms other than for a few members. Labour's splits run deeper.
    You must mix in different circles. I know lots of them for whom Brexit is an obsession. cf. ConHome

Edit/ and, to the point, the only test by which they judge fellow tories
    Oh, some, sure. But there's not been a UKIP takeover in the same way that there's been a Corbynite takeover. And Brexit as an issue will still pass, sooner or later.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Boo !
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I'd say it's still 50/50 whether this remains a temporary parliamentary thing or morphs into a new party or movement. A lot will depend on the public and polling response and whether they get backers, members and councillors.

The local elections are a massive opportunity for the Lib Dems. They already were, but now even more so. There's not much chance of TIG having a party machinery in place to contest them given the thousands of councillors up for election, so you'd expect an endorsement of the Lib Dems from TIG.
    It depends partly on whether, like the SDP, they pull across a fair chunk of councillors. Sitting councillors may choose to defend their seats under the new banner.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    TIG is becoming the refuse bin for the detritus of both parties.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    JonathanD said:

Historically Tory defections to Labour seem to have been much more common than Tories defections to the centre (SDP / LDs). Something I have always wondered about.
    BBC reporting the defection of a Labour councillor to the Tories in Brighton, which could change control of the council.
  • Options

Seconded. Though I don't want to see anyone leave, I found Allen's maiden speech very misjudged ("I picked the blue team") and I have had a huge amount of scepticism about Wollaston's integrity ever since her switch in the referendum (the implication being that she cynically pitched as Leave to win the seat in the first place). But Anna is a real loss.
    Presumably Ken couldn't talk her out of it.

Seems she has been pushed too far by lack of progress on No Deal ruling out.
  • Options
    Who is this awful Brexit woman on PL?
  • Options

She would be an obvious next step.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

Morgan proved at Education she's an unabashed cronyist, promoting her mates ahead of people of talent and experience. If she is describing Soubry as a friend, I agree that's a sign she's at least thinking of switching.

But bluntly, I can't see why the Tiggers would want her.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    I reckon at least 4 more LAB

If LK went could be another 20 including my MP
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I would be very surprised if open selections are tried again anytime soon.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    KYLE MURRAY AUSTIN HODGE by this time next week
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Scott_P said:

I would be very surprised if open selections are tried again anytime soon.
    Certainly not by the Tories, who don't seem to be able to stop sensible people slipping through.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Boles

The parallel is that very many Tory associations have been taken over by Brexit loons just as surely as the Corbynista grip on local Labour

That's true to an extent. However, important as an issue as Brexit is, it is not the only one and will still pass. It is not defining the party in existential terms other than for a few members. Labour's splits run deeper.
    You must mix in different circles. I know lots of them for whom Brexit is an obsession. cf. ConHome

Edit/ and, to the point, the only test by which they judge fellow tories
    Oh, some, sure. But there's not been a UKIP takeover in the same way that there's been a Corbynite takeover. And Brexit as an issue will still pass, sooner or later.
    The UKIP takeover is gathering speed and the leadership appear to be doing nothing about it.

Brext as an issue will pass but in the future we are now going to be in the EUs sphere of influence and so there will be all sorts of questions about how far we align with them, which a large number of the head bangers in the Tory party will see as capitulation. The same split will rumble on.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    ydoethur said:
    I think that sums up the feelings of most Conservatives.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    Brom said:

ydoethur said:
    I meant the implication that true Conservatives are selected in Party stitch-ups!
  • Options
    May & Corbyn would be well served in letting TIG flush out the uncommitted from both parties before dropping the GE hammer on them before they get themselves administratively sorted.

• Options
    Retweeted by Paul Masterton - there is a continuing rustling in the arras of the Remainy end of the Conservative party:

https://twitter.com/SCrabbPembs/status/1098184025817133056
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Stupid.
    Indeed. It was last part of County Durham on 31 March, 1974. Almost no-one of working age considers it so. Presumably Sandy also considers Walthamstow part of Essex, Willesden part of Middlesex, Brixton part of Surrey and Greenwich part of Kent?
    I don't have a viewabout those places down south, but I imagine lots of locals do. However I do know that I was born in Gateshead, County Durham. I support Durham CCC. I'm from County Durham.

Try telling folk in Barnoldswick that they are in Lancashire rather than Yorkshire. They have a bloody big Yorkshire flag flying in the middle of the town!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012

I reckon at least 4 more LAB

If LK went could be another 20 including my MP

They do need a specimen of centrist megafauna like Liz K for credibility.

I think this makes a GE much more likely. May will want to perform a late term abortion on TIG before it can transform into a fully fledged party.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:
    I meant the implication that true Conservatives are selected in Party stitch-ups!
    It's another mess left behind from the Cameron era. A broad church is one thing but evidently he was keen to permanently shift the party to the left and Wollaston and Allen were the turds that couldn't be flushed long after he'd walked away.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Will you lot get the fuck over to the new thread!!!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Stupid.
    I don't have a viewabout those places down south, but I imagine lots of locals do. However I do know that I was born in Gateshead, County Durham. I support Durham CCC. I'm from County Durham.

Try telling folk in Barnoldswick that they are in Lancashire rather than Yorkshire. They have a bloody big Yorkshire flag flying in the middle of the town!
    I know that the county identities still hold strong to some however there is no denying that Newcastle and Gateshead are one city and to try and deny that is detrimental to both.
  • Options

Retweeted by Paul Masterton - there is a continuing rustling in the arras of the Remainy end of the Conservative party:

https://twitter.com/SCrabbPembs/status/1098184025817133056

The minister to watch is Richard Harrington.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Brom said:

ydoethur said:
    That does indeed seem to be the case.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713
    Pulpstar said:

I just looked at Wikipedia and no. 311 officially Con, 10 DUP = 321. All opposition (including Tiggers) only makes 317. Unless Sinn Fein rock up, then NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

May & Corbyn would be well served in letting TIG flush out the uncommitted from both parties before dropping the GE hammer on them before they get themselves administratively sorted.

Chortle. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Stupid.
    It has not been part of County Durham for more than four decades. Almost no-one under the age of 60 considers it so. Is Brixton part of Surrey?

They should have built City Hall on the southbank in Gateshead and had a proper stab at an outward-looking Metro Mayoralty, a la Greater Manchester and Greater London. Instead, they chose parochialism and inward-looking stupidity.
    See also Andy Street in the West Mids, including cities which until 1974 were in Warwickshire (Brum and Cov) and Staffordshire (Wolverhampton). Plus odds and sods of historic Worcs and Shrops.

Had the WMCA only included stuff which was in Warwickshire - especially if the boundary was effectively in a city centre like Newcastle - people would have laughed.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Stupid.
    I don't have a viewabout those places down south, but I imagine lots of locals do.
    They really, really don't. If you told 90% of people from Walthamstow that they lived in Essex they would consider you mad.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Stupid.

I know that the county identities still hold strong to some however there is no denying that Newcastle and Gateshead are one city and to try and deny that is detrimental to both.
    Quite right, it's this tendency for people to conflate outlying rural areas with parts of what is a single urban city that is partly to blame for this problem.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I just looked at Wikipedia and no. 311 officially Con, 10 DUP = 321. All opposition (including Tiggers) only makes 317. Unless Sinn Fein rock up, then NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

Yes they need a couple more Tory defections I think.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845

I thought Nicky had been cast out of the gang for being a Judas and working with JRM on Malthouse Compromise?
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Stupid.

See also Andy Street in the West Mids, including cities which until 1974 were in Warwickshire (Brum and Cov) and Staffordshire (Wolverhampton). Plus odds and sods of historic Worcs and Shrops.

Had the WMCA only included stuff which was in Warwickshire - especially if the boundary was effectively in a city centre like Newcastle - people would have laughed.
    Spot on. The North of Tyne thing should never have been allowed to happen. It is a geographical and economic nonsense, arguably worse than the disintegrated shambles they have currently!
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Given the layout of the Commons, I'm not sure them crossing to (physically) the same side as Corbyn would be the best optics for TIG in portraying themselves as centrist.
  • Options

As her voting record shows - which - bar Brexit - will sit uneasily with the other TIG10
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    _Anazina_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes they need a couple more Tory defections I think.
    Or DUP?
  • Options
    So what happens next? Surely the price for settling the backstop will include the stepping down of Theresa May and she'll be gone by the party conference. The ERG will hope a staunch leaver takes over but it's usual for the least controversial candidate to win. This counts out Boris and I have a feeling Gove will pass up the chalice when it comes round. There is no obvious candidate although Sajid Javid obviously wants the job. An earlier post suggested Damian Hinds and they could just be right. He has the ability to talk for 5 minutes and say absolutely nothing - a safe pair of hinds. It might be needed as the post Brexit waters are chartered. As for TIG10 I suppose with a Berger and a Coffey they may end up as the Dinner Party and they all have that wet lettuce look about them. They need someone of substance to lead them. This is the usual problem for centre parties - finding gravitas out of moderation. With the TIG not fully formed and Corbyn a liability, it could just be that new Conservative leader plans for a general election in October.
This discussion has been closed.