Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today could be the day that Corbyn’s Labour Party finally spli

Comments

• Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Their website still seems to be down, which is odd if the home page is basically static as it should be cached by Cloudflare (their CDN). Maybe they set it up wrongly.

On the other hand, it might be that its upstream processing has been overwhelmed with people trying to join or donate.

See their latest tweet
    The tweet says the web site is down -- and was sent more than half an hour after I posted that fact on pb, and I'd not have been first to notice. It rather suggests their web and social media team is asleep at the wheel.
    I suspect "team" is one of their SpAds
    It was up and down all through the event. Their Twitter following is already twice The Brexit Party's (low bar)
  • Options
    Mr. Blue, Corbyn was ignoring pro-second referendum Labour MPs anyway.

It was only a few days ago that we heard Starmer had been told a threat for Labour to back said referendum, which had been agreed to be included in a letter, had been 'accidentally' omitted.
  • Options

What the Seven really need now is a big name in Corbyn's frontbench team to join them. Someone who has tried to do the right thing, but been treated with contempt.

Time to leave, Keir Starmer.....

They need a Tory MP first, to establish that they are a broad church, rather than an ideologically pure cult that was unable to compromise with its existing Party.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

kinabalu said:

Maybe your hope for a GE is somewhat diminished

I need to process properly but initial thoughts -

My GE scenario (as you know) is that TM calls it if she cannot get a Brexit through this parliament.

Now this 'split' probably hurts Labour's chances in a GE. So does this make it more or less likely that TM would go for it in the event her Brexit is stymied?

Perhaps more.
    The next few months will be fascinating and I expect more labour mps will leave labour for this group

If it gains real momentum (forgive the pun) we may see a public groundswell towards them and of course will damage Corbyn.

A GE may come along but I am not expecting one this year
    If May gets her deal through at the end of March (just humour me!), then THAT is when Corbyn is most at risk. He will have failed to prevent Brexit. And without the cover of Brexit, Labour MPs have the stark issue of anti-semitism to focus on.
    I do not need to humour you as I still think she will get a deal

And as you say, Corbyn will then be very exposed
    Prediction. If May gets the deal through she will have a very good local election results.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,316
    RoyalBlue said:

Doesn’t this split make it less likely that a second referendum will take place? Corbyn no longer needs to heed the Labour Europhiles, as they are tainted with disloyalty.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1097460143602712576
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    edited February 2019
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

up'

No, Roger, she appeals to all those women who have been slighted, overlooked, condescended to, patronised, mocked, sidelined, bullied and ignored by smug, self-satisfied and ignorant men who refuse to see what is happening in front of their eyes.
    whether she could attract others to the EU/centrist cause and I don't think 99% of the population have even heard of her.
    With great respect, I don’t think you have the first clue of how women feel about being slighted in the work place. The things I have described above have happened to every single woman of my acquaintance, including myself, no matter what the industry or sector or their political views or age. And it is still going on.

Labour looks like an old-fashioned mysogynistic party where the behaviour of individual men, including those close to the leadership, is as bad as as any seen anywhere.

I’ve no idea whether this grouping will be successful. I do know one of the women closely involved in it (not Luciana) and I know that she has been appallingly bullied and treated by those within Labour who claim to be in favour of womens’ rights in theory but cannot stomach any individual woman speaking up for herself in practice.

That strikes with a chord with rather more women across the political spectrum than you might suppose.
    I agree with everything in your post. I loathe the labour leadership for the reasons you give and many more. I wouldn't vote for Corbyn's labour under any circumstances. But this is hopefully about a new grouping that will stop people like me (and maybe you) having nowhere to go. I can't see Berger being the magnet that will get this new grouping off the ground. Umunna on the other hand or Cooper (if she could be persuaded to join) might.
    That may be so. I would certainly like to have a sensible party to vote for. Whether this is it I don’t know. I know well one of the people behind the scenes and they have all the right instincts. So I wish them well.

Umunna is an ex-Herbert Smith lawyer. I have spent so much time with people like him that I’m rather allergic to their appeal. Cooper seems to be a bit colourless, though she has been a bit more effective over Brexit in recent weeks. But I have some time for Berger because she has shown some courage and, as I am sure you will guess from some of my other posts, this is rarer than it ought to be and is something I admire.

She may not be a leader. Who knows? But she is showing up a very dark and unpleasant side to Labour, something which rips the heart out of everything they claim to be.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Endillion said:

Danny565 said:

Chris said:

Danny565 said:

IanB2 said:

Danny565 said:

Prediction: 10% in the immediate polls, with their support being drawn roughly evenly from the Lib Dems and Labour (maybe 1-2% off the Tories at a real push).

3% in an actual election, with no constituencies and no respectable showings outside of a few London seats.

They would help themselves if they and the LibDems said they would work toward an electoral deal - enabling pollsters to combine their ratings
    Nah, that knackers their hopes of winning significant numbers of Labour voters even more - it means they'll get contaminated with the Lib Dems' albatross of "they'll just let the Tories in".
    I think they're faced with an impossible task under our electoral system. But not so hard to cause a lot of damage to Labour's electoral prospects.
    IMO, this sort of analysis completely misunderstands what sort of constituencies this party's support is going to come from -- they'll be getting sod-all votes in Nuneaton, for example (if they even field a candidate there).
    Don't agree with that. I think there's a lot of people all over the country who won't vote Tory but can't vote Labour. It won't win them seats in Middle England but it'll give them the credibility they need to contest their target areas.
    Well, we'll soon find out, but I don't think "Middle England" is going to be at all attracted to a party which makes EU membership, and generally retaining the status quo, its main objectives.

IMO, this party's main market (to the extent it has one at all) will be wealthy liberals/lefties, but there's very few marginal seats with a significant concentration of them (Kensington is an exception, admittedly) - most live in ultra-safe Labour seats.
    Depends what they are for beyond Brexit.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Their website still seems to be down, which is odd if the home page is basically static as it should be cached by Cloudflare (their CDN). Maybe they set it up wrongly.

On the other hand, it might be that its upstream processing has been overwhelmed with people trying to join or donate.

See their latest tweet
    The tweet says the web site is down -- and was sent more than half an hour after I posted that fact on pb, and I'd not have been first to notice. It rather suggests their web and social media team is asleep at the wheel.
    Or subject to a DDoS attack.
    Generally Cloudflare should be able to handle that, but maybe they couldn't afford to protect themselves.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    rawzer said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

See their latest tweet
    It was up and down all through the event. Their Twitter following is already twice The Brexit Party's (low bar)
    Chuka's own website is struggling to load as well
  • Options
    The 538 Valentines Day article on parallels between romance and politics is relevant here, especially point six on countries declaring war because they misread each other's bluffs.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/8-tips-to-improve-your-relationship-courtesy-of-international-relations/
  • Options

Interesting there's no new party. What'll they do come election time?

It's an unsustainable position. They cannot now return to Labour: the bridges have been burned by this step. They have to either join another party or launch their own. They should have done it today. They've screwed up their best chance.

I am not so sure. They are clearly looking to build something from the grassroots up. They are clear they do not have all the answers. Better to be honest about that than pretend otherwise.

Since when were successful parties built from the grassroots up? Unusually, Corbyn's Labour is one such movement, although that was a parasite that infected a pre-existing host.

All successful parties are driven from the top down. In this case, where only the top exists at the moment, that has to be even more so than normal.

That’s very 20th century, David!

• Options

Interesting there's no new party. What'll they do come election time?

It's an unsustainable position. They cannot now return to Labour: the bridges have been burned by this step. They have to either join another party or launch their own. They should have done it today. They've screwed up their best chance.

I am not so sure. They are clearly looking to build something from the grassroots up. They are clear they do not have all the answers. Better to be honest about that than pretend otherwise.

Since when were successful parties built from the grassroots up? Unusually, Corbyn's Labour is one such movement, although that was a parasite that infected a pre-existing host.

All successful parties are driven from the top down. In this case, where only the top exists at the moment, that has to be even more so than normal.
    They can’t exactly fess up that it’s a top down, elitist movement can they? “Grassroots”, “We’re listening”, “We don’t have the answers” will have been focussed grouped to death, blatant advertising tricks, same as it ever was.
  • Options
    Liz Kendall generally tweets or retweets several times a day, but all quiet since Friday
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

The country needs a political party who supports Remain and aren't the soiled Lib Dems who created the Frankenstein monster Cameron.

Bizarre. The lever on Cameron only got pulled when the LibDems were no longer tying him down.
    All on the centre left were reasonably content with the 2010 election. What we didn't bank on was Cameron getting such a taste for power that he ws prepared to sell the EU down the river to appeal to his UKIP wing. Blair for example would never had done that even if it meant losing power.
  • Options
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

The country needs a political party who supports Remain and aren't the soiled Lib Dems who created the Frankenstein monster Cameron.

Bizarre. The lever on Cameron only got pulled when the LibDems were no longer tying him down.
    All on the centre left were reasonably content with the 2010 election. What we didn't bank on was Cameron getting such a taste for power that he ws prepared to sell the EU down the river to appeal to his UKIP wing. Blair for example would never had done that even if it meant losing power.
    Err, you do realise that it was above all Cameron who (with no help at all from Labour) actually made the case for Remain?
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    AndyJS said:

Luciana Berger standing for the new party in Hendon or Bury would probably have a very good chance.

Chipping Barnet might be her best bet; it seems to be swinging more heavily to Labour than the neighbouring areas, and Theresa Villiers is a Brexiteer in a Remain area.
    Yes, that would be a perfect seat for Luciana.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Err, you do realise that it was above all Cameron who (with no help at all from Labour) actually made the case for Remain?
    I think the complaint in this case is that Cameron even let the plebs have a say.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited February 2019
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

See their latest tweet
    Or subject to a DDoS attack.
    Unless it is an official Russian DDoS attack, Cloudflare should be able to cope. I'd imagine the Independent Group's upstream processing of donations and new members (many of which will be hoaxes) can't cope because their web team tested it with only one or two simultaneous users, and Cloudflare can't cache the home page because it is badly architected and possibly because the web team did not understand all the options on the Cloudflare portal.
  • Options

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

In the referendum? Yes, but since he'd just spent the last 5 years telling the voters how terrible the status quo was and implying that leaving the EU might be a good idea unless he could change it, then conspicuously failed to change it, he wasn't exactly the world's most convincing advocate...
  • Options
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

The sad thing is that in retrospect it's very clear that Cameron made that strategic decision well before 2010. There's an interview with Gove where he talks about how Cameron got "permission from the base" to move to the centre on social issues in return for giving them what they wanted on Europe and "national sovereignty".
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Would anybody notice if Lib Dem MPs quit to join them? What they need now is some tories to jump ship.

I'd be surprised if Heidi Allen doesn't join this group.

Downthread, someone notes it would be advantageous electorally for her to do so. She has absolutely zero in common with today's gammonite Tory Party so should go for it.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,152
    Danny565 said:

Chris said:

Danny565 said:

IanB2 said:

Danny565 said:

Prediction: 10% in the immediate polls, with their support being drawn roughly evenly from the Lib Dems and Labour (maybe 1-2% off the Tories at a real push).

3% in an actual election, with no constituencies and no respectable showings outside of a few London seats.

They would help themselves if they and the LibDems said they would work toward an electoral deal - enabling pollsters to combine their ratings
    Nah, that knackers their hopes of winning significant numbers of Labour voters even more - it means they'll get contaminated with the Lib Dems' albatross of "they'll just let the Tories in".
    I think they're faced with an impossible task under our electoral system. But not so hard to cause a lot of damage to Labour's electoral prospects.
    IMO, this sort of analysis completely misunderstands what sort of constituencies this party's support is going to come from -- they'll be getting sod-all votes in Nuneaton, for example (if they even field a candidate there).
    That reminds me very much of the people who argued that the Lib Dems would miraculously hold most of their seats in 2015 despite polling in single figures. First Past the Post can be brutal to small parties.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,905
    I see Corbyn's gang are merrily tweeting that the departing MPs should voluntarily stand down and restand in by-elections, presumably on the basis that people thought they were voting for a Labour candidate in 2017.

That's a great idea, Jeremy, but how about all your city MPs do the same, on the basis that people appear to have thought in 2017 they were voting for a party that might actually oppose Brexit?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Which is why the Lib Dems should, and I think will, elect a leader with no ties to the Coalition era.
    My reading is that Moran realises Swinson is tarnished and is starting to think herself forward toward the job. Unless today changes everything, of course.
    I agree.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,060
    rawzer said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

See their latest tweet
    Extrapolating that, they have 200 000 members already. Extraordinary!
  • Options
    The Independent Group. Can anyone think of part of this sceptred isle where independence has another meaning? Or even a newspaper web site?

Look, I know this might sound like a Corbynista snow job but it just seems so badly done.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2019

We already know that from their "statement" - Clegg-esque waffle about a "mixed economy", how they essentially want to keep the economy running the way it has for the past 40 years, but put on a sadface when they see homeless people.

To be fair, there is a market for that - there's quite a lot of wealthy liberals who want to (virtue-)signal that they're compassionate and therefore not Tory, but who also don't want to actually give up any more of their income to put their "compassion" into practice (nice guys though I'm sure they are, Southam Observer and Roger are good examples of that). But it's just not a very large market, nor is it concentrated in marginal seats.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

RoyalBlue said:

Doesn’t this split make it less likely that a second referendum will take place? Corbyn no longer needs to heed the Labour Europhiles, as they are tainted with disloyalty.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1097460143602712576
    Yes, that's why the timing is so bad if they actually feel strongly about Brexit: the chance of achieving something next week to stop the lemming policy has been damaged. But interestingly, it doesn't really seem to be their focus - most of the comments at the press conference merely mentioned Brexit in passing as one of the issues.

In one sense that broadens their appeal - we alrteady have an all-about-stopping-Brexit party and it's getting nowhere. But it will damage their links to other centrists who really do feel that stopping or at least ameliorating Brexit is the immediate priority.
  • Options

The Independent Group. Can anyone think of part of this sceptred isle where independence has another meaning? Or even a newspaper web site?

Look, I know this might sound like a Corbynista snow job but it just seems so badly done.

Would the "UK Independents Party" get past the Electoral Commission?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Which is why the Lib Dems should, and I think will, elect a leader with no ties to the Coalition era.
    My reading is that Moran realises Swinson is tarnished and is starting to think herself forward toward the job. Unless today changes everything, of course.
    I agree.
    Whyis Jo Swinson tarnished?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,121
    edited February 2019

The problem you rapidly hit when naming anything is finding a suitable name that either isn't used by someone else or has connotations due to history that mean it's not much use.

Equally I suspect this is a holding pattern while Brexit pans out...
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Danny565 said:

We already know that from their "statement" - Clegg-esque waffle about a "mixed economy", how they essentially want to keep the economy running the way it has for the past 40 years, but put on a sadface when they see homeless people.

To be fair, there is a market for that - there's quite a lot of wealthy liberals who want to (virtue-)signal that they're compassionate and therefore not Tory, but who also don't want to actually give up any more of their income to put their "compassion" into practice (nice guys though I'm sure they are, Southam Observer and Roger are good examples of that). But it's just not a very large market, nor is it concentrated in marginal seats.
    But the market for "people who think the current Conservative government couldn't run a whelk stall, but will never vote for a party led by an unreconstructed Trotskyite" is potentially quite big, no?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Cameron opened a pandora's box of bigotry and prejudice that surprised most of us but shouldn't have surprised him. After all they were well represented in his own party. As for Corbyn come the revolution it would be a toss up between him and Cameron who should face the firing squad first
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    A bit of the Wehrmacht about it. By that, I mean having to fight on too many flanks at once. The SDP had a big advantage in that they were fighting against an obvious extremist group alone.

Chukka's commandos have Brexit to contend with, as well as the Cobynites. But they do have the advantage of novelty.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

Would anybody notice if Lib Dem MPs quit to join them? What they need now is some tories to jump ship.

I'd be surprised if Heidi Allen doesn't join this group.

Downthread, someone notes it would be advantageous electorally for her to do so. She has absolutely zero in common with today's gammonite Tory Party so should go for it.
    The question for them is whether it is genuinely centrist a la Chuka or Labour in exile a la Gapes. The sooner a batch join, the quicker they can marginalise Gapes and his ilk.
  • Options

S Club 7 would have been a better name. Insert solidarity, strength, soft, soppy, strange as you prefer.
    Just not Socialist.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,152
    Is the party colour really grey, or is that someone having a laugh on Wikipedia?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Endillion said:

Danny565 said:

Chris said:

Danny565 said:

IanB2 said:

Danny565 said:

Don't agree with that. I think there's a lot of people all over the country who won't vote Tory but can't vote Labour. It won't win them seats in Middle England but it'll give them the credibility they need to contest their target areas.
    Well, we'll soon find out, but I don't think "Middle England" is going to be at all attracted to a party which makes EU membership, and generally retaining the status quo, its main objectives.

IMO, this party's main market (to the extent it has one at all) will be wealthy liberals/lefties, but there's very few marginal seats with a significant concentration of them (Kensington is an exception, admittedly) - most live in ultra-safe Labour seats.
    Lots of London (and some Manchester) seats might fit the bill. I can see them doing quite well in outer London seats that have been trending leftward as wealthy liberals set up families in the suburbs. Places like Chingford & Woodford Green, Ilford North, Chipping Barnet etc etc.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926
    justin124 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    This presumably isn't correct. If their plan is to target marginals, then their plan is to ensure that the Tories win the next election.

Their best hope of retaining their seats is surely to stand where they are already known/where Brexit is the most salient issue and Labour are popular.
    No. Tories need to win marginals too.
    If its Chukka and 4/5 Labour MPs standing on an anti-Brexit platform... they are going to be taking Labour voters predominantly, not Tory votes. So they will make it much more likely that the Tories win those marginals.

If on the other hand, they stood against Kate Hoey in Vauxhall, well frankly they'd get plenty of Labour support and probably win the seat.
    I doubt that they would poll many votes beyond those who would otherwise have voted Libdem.
    There is a large pool of remain voters with no real political home right now so I wouldn't be too sure that the impact will be minimal. I don't think Corbyn's chances of winning a GE were that great but I think this will just about kill it off. It will reinforce the anti-semitic anti-EU image that Corbyn wants to shed.
  • Options

The attacks by the 7 on Corbyn are going to be played ad infinitum across the media and to be honest it is stark, especially Luciana's no holds barred confrontation of Corbyn
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Corbyn has been lucky as Brexit has given him the last 2 years to avoid this.

Now Remain has lost - it's open season.

Terrific Viewing.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

I agree.
    Moran is an empty vessel. There is nothing that looks like a political philosophy about her. She has not demonstrated anything that looks like leadership quality - she is a band-wagon jumper and virtue signaller. That doesn't make you a leader.

I know there are very few LDs who can become leader post-Cable. But it baffles me as to why Moran is seen as viable. She hasn't endeared herself to her constituents since winning her seat. Indeed her posturing has been off-putting.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

I see Corbyn's gang are merrily tweeting that the departing MPs should voluntarily stand down and restand in by-elections, presumably on the basis that people thought they were voting for a Labour candidate in 2017.

That's a great idea, Jeremy, but how about all your city MPs do the same, on the basis that people appear to have thought in 2017 they were voting for a party that might actually oppose Brexit?

Why would they have thought that, since Labour's 2017 manifesto didn't oppose brexit?

But the Corbynites have a point; the people didn't know what they were voting for when they elected the splitters, so the people deserve a second vote...
  • Options

The attacks by the 7 on Corbyn are going to be played ad infinitum across the media and to be honest it is stark, especially Luciana's no holds barred confrontation of Corbyn
    Certainly makes it harder to simply dismiss as another daily mail smear on the messiah.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

The pressure from the members will still be there.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

In the referendum? Yes, but since he'd just spent the last 5 years telling the voters how terrible the status quo was and implying that leaving the EU might be a good idea unless he could change it, then conspicuously failed to change it, he wasn't exactly the world's most convincing advocate...
    Here is an example of Cameron advocating Remain. It is so half-hearted it makes Jeremy Corbyn sound like Ken Clarke.
    Like many, I have had my doubts about the European Union as an organisation. I still do. But just because an organisation is frustrating it does not mean that you should necessarily walk out of it, and certainly not without thinking very carefully through the consequences.

Taken from: The Language of Brexit
    https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-language-of-brexit-9781350047976/
  • Options

How many Tory MPs to defect would it take for Con+DUP to lose its majority?

I make it seven.

If they get those seven (plus more Labour MPs) then that would be big - but can they do it in time to affect Brexit?
    Would getting the Tories to jump affect Brexit?

The extreme hardliners like Grieve, Soubry and Wollaston have all but resigned the whip on Brexit already.
  • Options
    philiph said:

From the New Independent Group website.
    Who is this? Anyone know?

The Independent Group of MPs is supported by Gemini A Ltd a company limited by guarantee.

Registered address:
    3rd Floor
    1 Ashley Road
    Altrincham
    Cheshire
    WA14 2DT
    UK

(And what happened to the twin, who I assume is Gemini B )

According to Guido it is an office above a Weatherspoons
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

I think the complaint in this case is that Cameron even let the plebs have a say.
    That at least would be an honest and arguable criticism.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Liz Kendall generally tweets or retweets several times a day, but all quiet since Friday

A drip drip approach of who is going next and all the uncertainty and rumours that causes brings back the old days when those forgotten figures of Carswell and whats-his-name jumped ship from the Tories to the Kippers.... .unsurprisingly I am a lot more fabourable on these 7 MPs actions!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

*Checks Labour manifesto* Err
  • Options
    As I said last night, nobody will quit this week...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796
    I wonder how many bottled it at the last minute? Another half dozen? More?

They definitely need some Tories to jump to build the momentum.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Danny565 said:

Endillion said:

Danny565 said:

Chris said:

Danny565 said:

IanB2 said:

Danny565 said:

Lots of London (and some Manchester) seats might fit the bill. I can see them doing quite well in outer London seats that have been trending leftward as wealthy liberals set up families in the suburbs. Places like Chingford & Woodford Green, Ilford North, Chipping Barnet etc etc.
    Exactly the places where the LDs cleaned up last time you mean?
  • Options

Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

I agree.
    Moran is an empty vessel. There is nothing that looks like a political philosophy about her. She has not demonstrated anything that looks like leadership quality - she is a band-wagon jumper and virtue signaller. That doesn't make you a leader.

I know there are very few LDs who can become leader post-Cable. But it baffles me as to why Moran is seen as viable. She hasn't endeared herself to her constituents since winning her seat. Indeed her posturing has been off-putting.
    That's honestly not the impression I have from people I know in her seat. She seems well-liked and respected, more so than Nicola Blackwood was. Would that those of us lumbered with Robert Courts as an MP could say the same...
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Danny565 said:

But the market for "people who think the current Conservative government couldn't run a whelk stall, but will never vote for a party led by an unreconstructed Trotskyite" is potentially quite big, no?
    This is the same sort of argument that's been made at almost every election for the past 40 years about how the conditions were good for a third party to make a breakthrough (most recently for the Lib Dems in 2017).

The only party that's done it in recent times is the SNP, and they only because they actually got a set of policy positions that lots of people agreed with, rather than just benefitting from how crap people thought the established alternatives were. If there isn't a strong enough "pull factor" from the new party, people will just default back to the same old parties like usual; a "push factor" from the two main parties is not and has never been enough on its own for a new party to rise.
  • Options

Well said Roger (mk 2)....
  • Options

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

The case for Remain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXvuLVUOBZo
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,557
    Website is still down. Getting mildly embarrassing now.
  • Options
    Maybe some should listen to Dan a bit more as he accurately predicted today's split
  • Options
    OllyT said:

justin124 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    This presumably isn't correct. If their plan is to target marginals, then their plan is to ensure that the Tories win the next election.

Their best hope of retaining their seats is surely to stand where they are already known/where Brexit is the most salient issue and Labour are popular.
    No. Tories need to win marginals too.
    If its Chukka and 4/5 Labour MPs standing on an anti-Brexit platform... they are going to be taking Labour voters predominantly, not Tory votes. So they will make it much more likely that the Tories win those marginals.

If on the other hand, they stood against Kate Hoey in Vauxhall, well frankly they'd get plenty of Labour support and probably win the seat.
    I doubt that they would poll many votes beyond those who would otherwise have voted Libdem.
    There is a large pool of remain voters with no real political home right now so I wouldn't be too sure that the impact will be minimal. I don't think Corbyn's chances of winning a GE were that great but I think this will just about kill it off. It will reinforce the anti-semitic anti-EU image that Corbyn wants to shed.
    Killing off Corbyn might free a lot of Tory remainers to vote elsewhere.
  • Options
    So it's Chuka not Chukka? My bad.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    AndyJS said:

Luciana Berger standing for the new party in Hendon or Bury would probably have a very good chance.

Chipping Barnet might be her best bet; it seems to be swinging more heavily to Labour than the neighbouring areas, and Theresa Villiers is a Brexiteer in a Remain area.
    Matthew Offord in Hendon is also now a full on ERG member it seems. Chipping Barnet swung less in 2017 than either Hendon or Finchley & Golders Green largely because it has fewer Jews. Even so, I imagine any of the three current Tory MPs in Barnet would be delighted if Berger stood against them, as it'd most likely split the Labour vote and make their re-election more likely.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Pulpstar said:

Quite!

And an interesting contrast with UKIP under Farage, where the default position was that a defection should result in a by-election. This will feed nicely into claims by Brexit supporters that Remainers are not democratic.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

I agree.

That's honestly not the impression I have from people I know in her seat. She seems well-liked and respected, more so than Nicola Blackwood was. Would that those of us lumbered with Robert Courts as an MP could say the same...
    It may be the circles in which we move - but I have not heard a single positive thing said about her since she took the seat.

It may be that living in central Oxford, my perspective is somewhat different to someone who lives in North Oxford or Abingdon.
  • Options

I expect the next few days and weeks will see many more labour mps join the group. I doubt more than Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston will be tempted
  • Options

Maybe some should listen to Dan a bit more as he accurately predicted today's split
    It's incredible but Hannan has an even more extreme track record than Economists.

Dan has accurately predicted 78 of the last 1 Labour splits ;)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,100

Layla Moran's YouTube channel is a new low tidemark in the use of social media by a politician. My 15 year old niece puts 100x more effort into hers and that's mainly about cosmetics and her dog. #votedurasneice
  • Options
    Without screenshots, this is less amusing than it might be.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

A very good chance she will lose anywhere she stands.

Is Bury Remoan
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,077
    DavidL said:

I think that their server has crashed.

No-one thought to throw a hundred bucks at Cloudflare or AWS to make sure it stayed up on day one, when all the media were going to be looking at it. This stuff really isn’t difficult any more. Poor show.
  • Options

Is Bury Remoan
    No, it was pretty much in line with the national average. Luciana could save her deposit there, though.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,557

I expect the next few days and weeks will see many more labour mps join the group. I doubt more than Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston will be tempted
    Dominic Grieve? Nick Boles?
  • Options

Fair play - you did seem confident
  • Options

Let's see how things look in a day or two. There are lots of things people expect to be game-changers that turn out not to be. Do commuters talk about it on the way to work? Go down the pub to watch the Chelsea vs Man Utd game tonight -- do people discuss it at half time?

The last couple of MPs resigning the whip created barely a ripple. Maybe this time it will be different.
  • Options

How many Tory MPs to defect would it take for Con+DUP to lose its majority?

I make it seven.

If they get those seven (plus more Labour MPs) then that would be big - but can they do it in time to affect Brexit?
    Would getting the Tories to jump affect Brexit?

The extreme hardliners like Grieve, Soubry and Wollaston have all but resigned the whip on Brexit already.
    It would change the dynamic because May would not be able to pretend that simply getting all her party and the DUP on board would be enough to pass a deal. The arithmetic would mean that she had to reach outside those bounds - which would make it easier to force concessions from her - on the customs union, or another referendum.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

As did Luciana Berger's constituency party.
  • Options
    Mr Owls,

"A very good chance she will lose anywhere she stands."

She's good-looking, I'd vote for her. Join the Shallow Party! What is there to lose?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Which one is "nobody"?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,578

Is Bury Remoan
    The whole borough? No.
    But Bury South is almosr certainly much Remainier than Bury North. And also very Jewish.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Pulpstar said:

Quite!

And an interesting contrast with UKIP under Farage, where the default position was that a defection should result in a by-election. This will feed nicely into claims by Brexit supporters that Remainers are not democratic.
    It could be argued that sitting as an independent isn't as big a step as joining another party
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Just to double check, this lot have all resigned the whip and left the party now ? I mean apologies if this sounds like checking that the sun has risen this morning, but just want to be doubly sure.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dominic Grieve? Nick Boles?
    I doubt it
  • Options

Which one is "nobody"?
    All of them
  • Options

Let's see how things look in a day or two. There are lots of things people expect to be game-changers that turn out not to be. Do commuters talk about it on the way to work? Go down the pub to watch the Chelsea vs Man Utd game tonight -- do people discuss it at half time?

The last couple of MPs resigning the whip created barely a ripple. Maybe this time it will be different.
    Front page of BBC website will help.

Of course the Left will claim the BBC are deliberately promoting them in order to stop Jezza etc etc...
  • Options
    The Novara Media representative on Politics Live has managed to make an untrue statement with her very first contribution. Not a surprise.
    https://twitter.com/guywalters/status/1097470956166103040
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

No-one thought to throw a hundred bucks at Cloudflare or AWS to make sure it stayed up on day one, when all the media were going to be looking at it. This stuff really isn’t difficult any more. Poor show.
    It is behind Cloudflare but a CDN is not a magic talisman against bad design and implementation. Maybe they did not even test it because QA is not Agile!
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Fenman said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

I agree.

It may be the circles in which we move - but I have not heard a single positive thing said about her since she took the seat.

It may be that living in central Oxford, my perspective is somewhat different to someone who lives in North Oxford or Abingdon.
    I could believe that, certainly.

On a raw political level she (or her agent, who I think is a Focus-wielding operative of the old school) may have made the right calculation there - central Oxford is Lib Dem / Labour / Green in any case, and is never going to vote for a Conservative candidate in a month of Sundays (your good self excepted, I'm presuming!). The trick appears to have been to get the Greens to stand aside, which brought a lot of the Oxford vote on-side, while campaigning and leafleting hard in areas like Abingdon.

Honestly though, I'd far rather have Nicola Blackwood than Robert Courts out here in the sticks.
  • Options

Front page of BBC website will help.

Of course the Left will claim the BBC are deliberately promoting them in order to stop Jezza etc etc...
    Big front page splash on today's Standard
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,193
    If Ian Murray joins them he'll keep my vote.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    Amazing isn’t it. All they had to do was ditch Jezza.
  • Options
    PMQs is going to be a hoot. Or is it off for half bloody term?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,607
    edited February 2019
    TOPPING said:

Amazing isn’t it. All they had to do was ditch Jezza.

But then it wouldn't be the Cult they all want to live in.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Technologically illiterate technocrats.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Just to double check, this lot have all resigned the whip and left the party now ? I mean apologies if this sounds like checking that the sun has risen this morning, but just want to be doubly sure.

Yes
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Without screenshots, this is less amusing than it might be.
    Give Guido a little time......
This discussion has been closed.