Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today could be the day that Corbyn’s Labour Party finally spli

Comments

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,880
    Jim Pickard is spot on, I think. This is a holding operation for a post-Brexit party.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1097441881062035457
  • Options
    The Magnificent Seven?
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    MaxPB said:

It's not a very good name tbh.

I think it's great positioning. No fancy names, just designed to mop up those of independent mind of the centre-right, centre and centre-left. I hope some Tories will join. I can see the group welcoming Anna S, Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston, among others.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,138
    TOPPING said:

OK well the main question is simple: is this a mini-opposition breakaway Labour group working to overthrow the hated Tories, or is it a come all ye cross-party, centrist grouping.

Website seems to suggest the latter; the speeches the former.

Doing it as an loose group of independents rather than a new party is quite smart as it can become a repository for MPs from any side who think the current parties are broken.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    To be fair, Dan Hodges has now call 1 out of 51 splits.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges needs to get out more. This evening, DecrepitPolls will run an impromptu focus group in the fish and chip shop to see if this launch has any traction in a constituency of one of these MPs.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Its a holding operation waiting to see how things turn out.
    They've probably chosen something neutral enough that anti-Brexit Tories will feel comfortable to join. Right now something like 'Old New Labour' or 'Blair's Barmy Army' would be more apt.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    Unlike the others, in his mind Gapes is still Labour
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2019
    From the New Independent Group website.
    Who is this? Anyone know?

The Independent Group of MPs is supported by Gemini A Ltd a company limited by guarantee.

Registered address:
    3rd Floor
    1 Ashley Road
    Altrincham
    Cheshire
    WA14 2DT
    UK

(And what happened to the twin, who I assume is Gemini B )
  • Options
    DonTsInferno_DonTsInferno_ Posts: 108
    edited February 2019

Will there be a diddy McIndependent Group? Would have thought Kezia, Ian Murray & Anas should be up for it?

"Independents against Independence".
    Brilliant! Scottish, Irish & EU independence equally frowned upon... Orwellian!
  • Options
    Mike Gapes....holy hell....
  • Options
    Gapes just tearing into Corbyn.

Top stuff.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

You can see how painful the decision is to each of these mps and they are very courageous. I wish them well and hope this grows into something really promising

From small acorns large oak trees grow
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Mike Gapes: "A Corbyn-led government would be a threat to national security".
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    Isn't there something just a tiny shade to the left of this group!
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

This is full on attack ripping corbs to shreds

It is astonishing in the unremitting attack on Corbyn and those around him. It is not just the EU but the wider anti-semitism, the anti west attitude and bullying

The question for all remaining labour mps is are they prepared to carry on endorsing Corbyn or are they willing to join the independent group
    Indeed so. I think many more might join. These breakaway MPs deserve medals. Splitting in the Commons was always the answer – moral and technical – to the Corbynite problem.
  • Options
    This is utterly compelling and magnificent and tragic and probably doomed. But absolutely right.
  • Options
    There are a very large number of Labour MPs who said they had no confidence in Corbyn in 2016. Do they all hide behind the 2017GE or will more of them leave Corbyn's party?

The Independent Group need more MPs. Seven isn't enough. They could do with overhauling the SNP (35) to become the third party. Perhaps if they have some good polling more will follow.
  • Options
    Paging David Milliband...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

If you think the Lib Dems and the Independent Group are going to put candidates up against each other, I have a bridge to sell you.

No, suppose not.

Wonder if we will see a similar move by the Hard Remainers in the Tory Party?
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189
    philiph said:

The Independent Group of MPs is supported by Gemini A Ltd a company limited by guarantee.

Registered address:
    3rd Floor
    1 Ashley Road
    Altrincham
    Cheshire
    WA14 2DT
    UK

(And what happened to the twin, who I assume is Gemini B)

its just a shell at the moment https://companycheck.co.uk/company/11770529/GEMINI-A-LTD/companies-house-data
  • Options
    Regardless of anything else, chuka is inspiring...

• Options
    Pretty clear Chukka thinks this will be a new party in the end.
  • Options
    So is it the independent group party? Or an independent group that isn’t a party?
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see the first opinion polls with this new grouping as an option.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

They've probably chosen something neutral enough that anti-Brexit Tories will feel comfortable to join. Right now something like 'Old New Labour' or 'Blair's Barmy Army' would be more apt.
    Most Tories would largely agree with every one of their statements - deliberately very motherhood-and-apple-pie.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,880

He is. Best so far.
  • Options

He is. Best so far.
    The first to paint a forward vision rather than just read out their CV and criticise Corbyn
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

This is full on attack ripping corbs to shreds

It is astonishing in the unremitting attack on Corbyn and those around him. It is not just the EU but the wider anti-semitism, the anti west attitude and bullying

The question for all remaining labour mps is are they prepared to carry on endorsing Corbyn or are they willing to join the independent group
    Indeed so. I think many more might join. These breakaway MPs deserve medals. Splitting in the Commons was always the answer – moral and technical – to the Corbynite problem.
    Even as a conservative these mps have made me so very proud of them. Let us hope this does succeed and enable those of us who reject the hard brexiteers and the hard left to find hope for our politics and country
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    rawzer said:

philiph said:

Registered address:
    3rd Floor
    1 Ashley Road
    Altrincham
    Cheshire
    WA14 2DT
    UK

(And what happened to the twin, who I assume is Gemini B)

its just a shell at the moment https://companycheck.co.uk/company/11770529/GEMINI-A-LTD/companies-house-data
    Hasn't any ships then!

And thanks to this site I've been made aware of one called Newsthump, when I found the following:
    'Changes to BST mean clocks will go back by 70 years at the end of March'

Which I thought was rather good!
  • Options

If they set something up. i'd be in line to join them.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    A sad day for the Labour party - but a necessary one.

These 7 MPs are very brave and principled. Compare and contrast to the the rest of the HoC.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Umnuna much the best.....

Unalloyed good news. It'll be bees around a honeypot....

'Life's messy. Clean it up'
  • Options

Essexit said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Most Tories would largely agree with every one of their statements - deliberately very motherhood-and-apple-pie.
    There must be at least 5 Tory MPs tempted to join this group.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    And the winners today are: the Tories
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I immediately notice an error in the table - Alliance leaders in June 1983 were D.Steel and R.Jenkins - not D.Owen!
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Too early to say
  • Options
    "A strong economy means we can invest in our public services." - Cameron 2010 or TIG 2019?
  • Options
    Their website has crashed already. Too many people trying to access it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

Too early to say
    It doesn't help their immediate problem over Brexit
  • Options
    Mr. B2, indeed.
  • Options
    If they were really cunning they will have some more ready to leave in the coming days, where they can claim we were inspired by them, corbyn outriders disgust me in their reaction to this news..and a few tories who will claim may / brexit / etc.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

History doesn't always repeat itself. 2019 doesn't have to be 1981/3.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    AndyJS said:

Their website has crashed already. Too many people trying to access it.

It's working sporadically.
  • Options

https://www.theindependent.group/statement

They are seeking signing ups and donations.

It is happening.

This could be a snowball that becomes an avalanche.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Roger said:

Chuka said nothing memorable

Berger is head and shoulders above the rest of these very small beasts

She also has a link to Labour royalty - given her family connection to Manny Shinwell - who also resigned from Labour in protest at the 1980s extremism
  • Options

Interesting there's no new party. What'll they do come election time?

It's an unsustainable position. They cannot now return to Labour: the bridges have been burned by this step. They have to either join another party or launch their own. They should have done it today. They've screwed up their best chance.
  • Options
    There are a variety of bets to consider today, but one bet stands out to me: lay Jeremy Corbyn for next Prime Minister. He may or may not get there in the end but in this Parliament his task has just got 7 MPs harder, with the distinct prospect of more to follow. Since Theresa May has already said that she is stepping down before the next election, he should not now be anything like as short as 6.8 last matched.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    murali_s said:

A sad day for the Labour party - but a necessary one.

These 7 MPs are very brave and principled. Compare and contrast to the the rest of the HoC.

It probably will not work, but they have done a brave and principled thing.
  • Options

If they were really cunning they will have some more ready to leave in the coming days, where they can claim we were inspired by them, corbyn outriders disgust me in their reaction to this news..and a few tories who will claim may / brexit / etc.

Frank Field and John Woodcock surely

I don't think they'd want Hopkins or Ivan Lewis but not sure they could say no.

The pitch to Tories ("we will never let in a Conservative government") is interesting but possible
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I would have thought your average beeboid would be big fans of new new labour / stop brexit party.
  • Options
    Very centrist manifesto on the website (compared to their pretty left-wing (as you would expect) statements today):

Britain works best as a diverse, mixed social market economy, in which well-regulated private enterprise can reward aspiration and drive economic progress and where government has the responsibility to ensure the sound stewardship of taxpayer’s money and a stable, fair and balanced economy.
    A strong economy means we can invest in our public services. We believe the collective provision of public services and the NHS can be delivered through government action, improving health and educational life chances, protecting the public, safeguarding the vulnerable, ensuring dignity at every stage of life and placing individuals at the heart of decision-making.
    The people of this country have the ability to create fairer, more prosperous communities for present and future generations. We believe that this creativity is best realised in a society which fosters individual freedom and supports all families.
    The barriers of poverty, prejudice and discrimination facing individuals should be removed and advancement occur on the basis of merit, with inequalities reduced through the extension of opportunity, giving individuals the skills and means to open new doors and fulfil their ambitions.
    Individuals are capable of taking responsibility if opportunities are offered to them, everybody can and should make a contribution to society and that contribution should be recognised. Paid work should be secure and pay should be fair.
    Our free media, the rule of law, and our open, tolerant and respectful democratic society should be cherished and renewed.
    We believe that our parliamentary democracy in which our elected representatives deliberate, decide and provide leadership, held accountable by their whole electorate is the best system of representing the views of the British people.
    In order to face the challenges and opportunities presented by globalisation, migration and technological advances, we believe the multilateral, international rules-based order must be strengthened and reformed. We believe in maintaining strong alliances with our closest European and international allies on trade, regulation, defence, security and counter-terrorism
    As part of the global community we have a responsibility to future generations to protect our environment, safeguard the planet, plan development sustainably and to act on the urgency of climate change.
    Power should be devolved to the most appropriate level, trusting and involving local communities. More powers and representation should be given to local government to act in the best interests of their communities.
  • Options

This is utterly compelling and magnificent and tragic and probably doomed. But absolutely right.

Yep
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198

It is happening.

Or it could melt into a damp squib.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,911
    kjohnw said:

;)
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Roger said:

She also has a link to Labour royalty - given her family connection to Manny Shinwell - who also resigned from Labour in protest at the 1980s extremism
    A Tory view. Berger is a one trick pony. Umunna is the magnet. Berger has very limited appeal beyond a tiny Jewish lobby.
  • Options

Interesting there's no new party. What'll they do come election time?

It's an unsustainable position. They cannot now return to Labour: the bridges have been burned by this step. They have to either join another party or launch their own. They should have done it today. They've screwed up their best chance.
    In effect they have - but have been sensible (or not had enough time) to avoid tying themselves to names, colours, manifestos etc - which makes sense since if a batch of Tories do decide to join them, it can be a genuine cross-party creation.
  • Options
    Not sure how this differs from the LibDems.

But I guess that will be one of the big question in coming months.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Well I didnt think it would happen this soon. A ballsy but rather selfish move that will really screw Labour's electoral chances. May must be considering an election if more follow and they stand as Independents.
    Would expect Wollaston to join them (she in no way is a Conservative) though for some reason I feel Soubry has some Tory genes underneath all the Pro European bluster.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    _Anazina_ said:

MaxPB said:

I think it's great positioning. No fancy names, just designed to mop up those of independent mind of the centre-right, centre and centre-left. I hope some Tories will join. I can see the group welcoming Anna S, Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston, among others.
    If the Labour party were called something else, and the new party took the name Labour, they'd be being mocked incessantly on Twitter. Particularly as Berger is pregnant.

I think my point is that political party names are generally dull?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Sometimes people want and need the truth.

Never catch on with politicians though.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Scott_P said:
    Sounds like they have a Labour MP in the studio ready to give his opinion of this event. Candid if so!
  • Options
    The Bye Election Bottle Jobs
  • Options
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    As a Labour supporter I am worried and I think I am right to be worried. We saw what Macron was able to do in France. Formed a new Centrist Party - En Marche - and a couple of years later he sweeps to power. Dynamism, intellect, yes, but the main thing was that his timing was right. There is no reason, if he too has got the timing right, why Mike Gapes cannot do exactly the same here.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kjohnw said:

History doesn't always repeat itself. 2019 doesn't have to be 1981/3.
    The Tories were more united in 1983 than today. If they can unite around a Brexit compromise they will clean up.

That's a big ask, but the Labour split creates a greater inventive than the good of the country alone.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

Too early to say
    I think it is very much too early to say. My personal meandering political stroll from Conservative to "none of the above" may take another slight detour. I realise I am representative of nothing, but still.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

The pitch to Tories ("we will never let in a Conservative government") is interesting but possible
    Woodcock ain't going to be allowed in - they're not quite THAT daft as to allow in an alleged sex pest in the current climate.

I don't see why Field would join a group which has opposing Brexit as one of it's MO's (though, interestingly, I see their "statement" doesn't expressly commit to opposing Brexit, just some waffle about "strong alliances with European allies", which is the type of thing even May spouts).
  • Options
    From Vince: "The Liberal Democrats are open to working with like-minded groups and individuals in order to give the people the final say on Brexit, with the option to remain in the EU. We will be engaging in talks to progress both that campaign and a wider political agenda. #LabourSplit"
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    BigIan said:

It is happening.

Or it could melt into a damp squib.

'503 Service Unavailable
    No server is available to handle this request.'
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

Very centrist manifesto on the website (compared to their pretty left-wing (as you would expect) statements today):

Britain works best as a diverse, mixed social market economy, in which well-regulated private enterprise can reward aspiration and drive economic progress and where government has the responsibility to ensure the sound stewardship of taxpayer’s money and a stable, fair and balanced economy.
    A strong economy means we can invest in our public services. We believe the collective provision of public services and the NHS can be delivered through government action, improving health and educational life chances, protecting the public, safeguarding the vulnerable, ensuring dignity at every stage of life and placing individuals at the heart of decision-making.
    The people of this country have the ability to create fairer, more prosperous communities for present and future generations. We believe that this creativity is best realised in a society which fosters individual freedom and supports all families.
    The barriers of poverty, prejudice and discrimination facing individuals should be removed and advancement occur on the basis of merit, with inequalities reduced through the extension of opportunity, giving individuals the skills and means to open new doors and fulfil their ambitions.
    Individuals are capable of taking responsibility if opportunities are offered to them, everybody can and should make a contribution to society and that contribution should be recognised. Paid work should be secure and pay should be fair.
    Our free media, the rule of law, and our open, tolerant and respectful democratic society should be cherished and renewed.
    We believe that our parliamentary democracy in which our elected representatives deliberate, decide and provide leadership, held accountable by their whole electorate is the best system of representing the views of the British people.
    In order to face the challenges and opportunities presented by globalisation, migration and technological advances, we believe the multilateral, international rules-based order must be strengthened and reformed. We believe in maintaining strong alliances with our closest European and international allies on trade, regulation, defence, security and counter-terrorism
    As part of the global community we have a responsibility to future generations to protect our environment, safeguard the planet, plan development sustainably and to act on the urgency of climate change.
    Power should be devolved to the most appropriate level, trusting and involving local communities. More powers and representation should be given to local government to act in the best interests of their communities.

This is managerial balls. I prefer Corbo's Sturm und Drang.

As Lenin said; without a revolutionary theory there can be no revolutionary movement. There is no theory here.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

There are a variety of bets to consider today, but one bet stands out to me: lay Jeremy Corbyn for next Prime Minister. He may or may not get there in the end but in this Parliament his task has just got 7 MPs harder, with the distinct prospect of more to follow. Since Theresa May has already said that she is stepping down before the next election, he should not now be anything like as short as 6.8 last matched.

Corbyn has always been too short as next PM. GE this year must be more likely now surely.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

TOPPING said:

OK well the main question is simple: is this a mini-opposition breakaway Labour group working to overthrow the hated Tories, or is it a come all ye cross-party, centrist grouping.

Website seems to suggest the latter; the speeches the former.

Doing it as an loose group of independents rather than a new party is quite smart as it can become a repository for MPs from any side who think the current parties are broken.
    Which somewhat invites the question of why they haven't mopped a bunch of the existing ones up already? If Woodcock/Lloyd are deemed personae non grata due to being not anti-Brexit, what does that say?
  • Options
    Luciana Berger is reminding me very slightly of Shirley Williams at this press conference.
  • Options
    So presumably this "Independence Group" is a bit like how the Gang Of Four launched the Council For Social Democracy in January 1981 which became the SDP in March 1981?

I'm guessing the formation of the new party will be after 29th March?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Out of interest, how many MPs have Labour lost since the election?

Counting all categories, splitters, expulsions (which includes the Perjury one) and death in service.

Is that about 14?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150
    "I accept a Labour led government is infinitely better than any other election outcome" has a remarkable "well, if we must" reluctance to it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Will The Independent Group put up a candidate in Newport West?

Am wondering if other Lab MPs will leave Corbyn's rump later this week, they might not be happy by the response of some of Corbyn's followers to long serving MPs.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

A Tory view. Berger is a one trick pony. Umunna is the magnet. Berger has very limited appeal beyond a tiny Jewish lobby.
    I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

As a Labour supporter I am worried and I think I am right to be worried. We saw what Macron was able to do in France. Formed a new Centrist Party - En Marche - and a couple of years later he sweeps to power. Dynamism, intellect, yes, but the main thing was that his timing was right. There is no reason, if he too has got the timing right, why Mike Gapes cannot do exactly the same here.

Maybe your hope for a GE is somewhat diminished
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Just the one taxpayer?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Woodcock ain't going to be allowed in - they're not quite THAT daft as to allow in an alleged sex pest in the current climate.

I don't see why Field would join a group which has opposing Brexit as one of it's MO's (though, interestingly, I see their "statement" doesn't expressly commit to opposing Brexit, just some waffle about "strong alliances with European allies", which is the type of thing even May spouts).
    I don't think they would announce either, I think they would just be in the same circles.

If there is a party launch - likely after 29 March - then they could be quietly brought into the fold.
  • Options
    Return of Ed Balls?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2019
    Who gets put up first to defend the Corbyn position on BBC News - Owen Jones?! Seriously?

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited February 2019
    BBC accept bad language in their coverage and have just apologised for it
  • Options
    "Berger has very limited appeal beyond a tiny Jewish lobby."

Christ @Roger wake up.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    The Kreminology of who sits near them on the green benches will be fun.....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dry..
  • Options

Return of Ed Balls?

Cooper-Balls will never leave Lab.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    This is key now - those Lab MPs who stay are now tied to the great leaders project so don't need to sign the 'vow'.... they are in that ship unless they join the Independent Group.

Fair play to them.
This discussion has been closed.