Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Taking stock of Brexit with fewer than 60 days until we Leave

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,818

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

One other thing that is being missed is the closer to Brexit day we move the more producers with lead times and products produced in the EU will have to start quoting prices with customs duties included. You can see all the German, French, Slovakia and Spanish car producers having to jack prices 10%.
    This will lead to another PR battle between the remainers and leavers with leavers saying buy british all the time on TV and remainers playing the victim card.

The real question will be the order level at the EU produced cars dealerships. If they fall substantially yet UK produced models do not suffer a fall then look out for the EU to instantly become more accommodating.

Why would there be a 10% tariff on incoming cars? The WTO tariff is 10%, but the UK can waive it and have a zero car tariff if it likes: it's not automatically applied.

So. When is the UK going to pass a law to put a 10% tariff on cars?

There is no such thing as a WTO tariff. Countries have tariffs and lodge them at the WTO. To stop any prospect of objections at the WTO as we move to independent status the only thing we can do is lodge a schedule of tariffs that is identical as we use today (we have done this last year), it is even priced in Euros. This is because we currently use the CET from the EU and this is what we will use day one of Brexit. The EU tariff on cars is 10%.
    OK, so we're going to lodge a schedule of tariffs of 10% on cars, yes? (Or am already doing so?) Am I correct that would be all foreign cars, not just the EU ones (see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45112872).
    We have already lodged it. Yes it is all foreign cars. It is a very large incentive for South Korea for example to "grandfather" the EU-SK FTA for a couple of years to ensure their cars come in tariff free.
    Ah I see, thank you.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

The Tories are going over the falls in a barrel. OK so they are taking us with them in their utterly reckless irresponsible bet. We will probably mostly emerge the other side alive. However even if we did- and it ain't certain- the fact that these B*****ds played this game and could get away with it is why we now need major political reform.

Communist Corbyn us a useless as a chocolate teapot, May will be out of it. We now need to change utterly and do it damn quick.

Yes. The idea that our unwritten constitution is not the envy of the world, but a collection of largely arbitrary conventions, archaic practices, and unwieldy decision making processes. That our electoral and Party system encourages the grandiose, the time serving and the idle. That pompous grandstanding is rewarded over diligent hard work, clear thought or long-term planning. That Party loyalty and advantage is prized over consensus building in the National interest.
    Some of this has been made plain.
    Reform ought to move up the agenda post-Brexit. But probably won't, because of, well, the above.
    Most of us were too young to recall Suez (Jack W excepted) but I wonder whether we were as much the laughing stock of the world then as we are now.
    I've said it before, but the rest of the world has far more serious issues to concern itself with than political posturing in a wealthy country.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

"The mood across Europe, appears to be one of resignation and bafflement as they struggle to come to terms with May's u-turn on re-opening the withdrawal agreement given the fact that there is still no majority in the Commons for a workable deal with the EU."

https://www.ft.com/content/6de7c97e-42b8-39f8-ad38-f9c016ea6135

Maybe they'd be less baffled if they understood that for the past year when we said we didn't like their proposed backstop that we meant it.
    The backstop that the Prime Minister personally negotiated and signed off and then insisted loudly for a year was completely necessary you mean?

The Prime Minister has been telling the EU for two years her red lines, and the EU have been surprisingly flexible in attempting to accommodate her nonsense.

Perhaps the EU should have realised sooner that May is a tin-eared automaton, unreliable, incompetent, xenophobic, destructively obstinate and tribally dishonest.

Unfortunately she's also the PM and that's who they've had to deal with.

And there we are.

AndyJS said:

"The mood across Europe, appears to be one of resignation and bafflement as they struggle to come to terms with May's u-turn on re-opening the withdrawal agreement given the fact that there is still no majority in the Commons for a workable deal with the EU."

https://www.ft.com/content/6de7c97e-42b8-39f8-ad38-f9c016ea6135

Maybe they'd be less baffled if they understood that for the past year when we said we didn't like their proposed backstop that we meant it.
    The backstop that the Prime Minister personally negotiated and signed off and then insisted loudly for a year was completely necessary you mean?

The Prime Minister has been telling the EU for two years her red lines, and the EU have been surprisingly flexible in attempting to accommodate her nonsense.

Perhaps the EU should have realised sooner that May is a tin-eared automaton, unreliable, incompetent, xenophobic, destructively obstinate and tribally dishonest.

Unfortunately she's also the PM and that's who they've had to deal with.

And there we are.
    You're making the mirror argument (from a europhile viewpoint) of David Davis that only Theresa May is standing in the way of a deal. The Red lines were not plucked out of thin air.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

The Tories are going over the falls in a barrel. OK so they are taking us with them in their utterly reckless irresponsible bet. We will probably mostly emerge the other side alive. However even if we did- and it ain't certain- the fact that these B*****ds played this game and could get away with it is why we now need major political reform.

Communist Corbyn us a useless as a chocolate teapot, May will be out of it. We now need to change utterly and do it damn quick.

Yes. The idea that our unwritten constitution is not the envy of the world, but a collection of largely arbitrary conventions, archaic practices, and unwieldy decision making processes. That our electoral and Party system encourages the grandiose, the time serving and the idle. That pompous grandstanding is rewarded over diligent hard work, clear thought or long-term planning. That Party loyalty and advantage is prized over consensus building in the National interest.
    Reform ought to move up the agenda post-Brexit. But probably won't, because of, well, the above.
    Most of us were too young to recall Suez (Jack W excepted) but I wonder whether we were as much the laughing stock of the world then as we are now.
    I've said it before, but the rest of the world has far more serious issues to concern itself with than political posturing in a wealthy country.
    I'm taking my annual trip to Brazil next week. I'm not really looking forward to the polite questions, and barely-disguised incredulity. And believe me that is a country with problems of its own.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

I do remember Suez, just. The main fear then was all out war.

I agree, Sean, there is interest and a great deal of bewilderment elsewhere, but basically they have more important things to think about.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

Start of common sense coming to light?

Detlef Seif, who is the Brexit rapporteur of the CDU/CSU group in the German parliament, called for an extension on Article 50: "I consider Donald Tusk's knee-jerk rejection of new negotiations over the EU Withdrawal Treaty .. irresponsible in the current situation. There is too much at risk." Mr Seif added the vote yesterday showed that the majority of MPs in the Commons don't reject the withdrawal treaty as a whole, but just the backstop. "This is understandable in terms of domestic politics, because if the backstop comes into force, the UK would remain tied to the EU through a customs union and wouldn't be able to conclude its own trade agreements. Northern Ireland would also partially remain in the EU single market." The proposal voted through yesterday which sees an alternative to the backstop is "in domestic political terms big progress", he added. There is now much more clarity in the UK negotiating position, which there wasn't before. "In order to allow for a sensible debate and to test alternatives, an extension of the 2-year deadline of Article 50 is now inevitable. I suggest an extension until the end of 2020." "If the EU now sticks to the proposed backstop without offering any compromises, this will lead to an outcome that all sides want to avoid the most, namely a hard border in Ireland and huge risks for the northern Irish peace process. We can't allow that. Therefore I appeal urgently to all those involved to test all possible options and to allow more time for that."

Bet Sky and BBC do not cover that
    I was queuing for bread earlier next to someone with a bit of euro accent who thought its a good idea to reopen the agreement. There you are, there’s another one! They’re splintering. They’re splintering at an alarming rate now.

It’s not one or two voices here there people mention or link to that contemplate opening the agreement to get a better one that is indicative, but the other 440 million voices who quickly say no. If someone answered yes open it we can get better deal they might be thinking its better with UK in CU.

all this clutching at straws to try and justify the governments position just looks sad and pathetic. If people doing it aren’t careful they find others subtly taking the piss.

14th Feb there’s a vote May loses. 15th she calls the General Election to try and force the May Deal through.

Decades from now the younglings will ask, it was all before I was born, how did Jeremy Corbyn actually become Prime Minister?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Can anyone tell me - is the plan for Theresa May to go to Brussels to be told in person that the EU won't renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement, or is it already time to move on to the next stage? Whatever that is.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

Detlef Seif, who is the Brexit rapporteur of the CDU/CSU group in the German parliament, called for an extension on Article 50: "I consider Donald Tusk's knee-jerk rejection of new negotiations over the EU Withdrawal Treaty .. irresponsible in the current situation. There is too much at risk." Mr Seif added the vote yesterday showed that the majority of MPs in the Commons don't reject the withdrawal treaty as a whole, but just the backstop. "This is understandable in terms of domestic politics, because if the backstop comes into force, the UK would remain tied to the EU through a customs union and wouldn't be able to conclude its own trade agreements. Northern Ireland would also partially remain in the EU single market." The proposal voted through yesterday which sees an alternative to the backstop is "in domestic political terms big progress", he added. There is now much more clarity in the UK negotiating position, which there wasn't before. "In order to allow for a sensible debate and to test alternatives, an extension of the 2-year deadline of Article 50 is now inevitable. I suggest an extension until the end of 2020." "If the EU now sticks to the proposed backstop without offering any compromises, this will lead to an outcome that all sides want to avoid the most, namely a hard border in Ireland and huge risks for the northern Irish peace process. We can't allow that. Therefore I appeal urgently to all those involved to test all possible options and to allow more time for that."

Unless Ireland agrees though they could veto the final trade agreement and even the Withdrawal Agreement needs approval by QMV
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Parliament votes for permanent Customs Union and half the Cabinet resigns it will be near impossible for May to stop a permanent Customs Union unless she wants to set up the biggest constitutional crisis between legislature and executive in a century which would likely lead to a successful VONC soon enough anyway

Of course, a permanent customs union doesn't remove the need for a backstop, so it actually solves nothing beyond catalysing the merciful implosion of the Tories.
    No but the Deal has the backstop anyway and not one Brexiteer opponent of the Deal would vote for permanent Customs Union
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

I'm taking my annual trip to Brazil next week. I'm not really looking forward to the polite questions, and barely-disguised incredulity. And believe me that is a country with problems of its own.
    Strange - my experience has been the opposite.

Even from people in the country which has the most to lose if the hard brexit fear mongers are right.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    dots said:

14th Feb there’s a vote May loses. 15th she calls the General Election to try and force the May Deal through.
    Um, earliest day for a GE called on February 15th would be March 28th...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

TudorRose said:

I suspect that the EU's 'knee-jerk rejection' is the final nail in EU-Ref 2. Even if the supporters of a People's vote could get the support they need in Parliament I would expect the EU's response (and how it is - and will be - portrayed in the media) to secure another Remain defeat.
    If it’s clear they want us out then “Piss off Juncker, we’re staying” could work.
    lol - give up man
  • Options
    felix said:

Thank you for flying Brexit Airways, enjoy your crash.

Grabcoque redux!

If someone is banned they should remain outside, they shouldn’t sneak noncompliant posts through an unfenced border and make mockery of all the rules we got in place.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    HYUFD said:

Unless Ireland agrees though they could veto the final trade agreement and even the Withdrawal Agreement needs approval by QMV
    TWO year extension?

Give me strength!

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    One thing that's bothering me. The EU seems explicitly clear that the withdrawal agreement will not be renegotiated, why are people still banging on about a CU ?

Surely that would count as renegotiation and be off the table now ?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

dots said:

Um, earliest day for a GE called on February 15th would be March 28th...
    Yeah? I refer you to the comments the Leader of the House made some days ago, about few weeks extension to tie up legal formalities. If May wins that GE her deal goes through.
    If she doesn’t, will the last one out the basement where the cheka putting bullets in the heads please turn out the lights.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

Brazil has a homicide rate 25 times higher than ours. The average Brazilian would give his eye teeth to have our problems.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    dots said:

felix said:

Grabcoque redux!

If someone is banned they should remain outside, they shouldn’t sneak noncompliant posts through an unfenced border and make mockery of all the rules we got in place.
    If I were you I'd worry about your own posts. Plenty to be getting on with there before you turn your attention to other people's.
  • Options

One thing that's bothering me. The EU seems explicitly clear that the withdrawal agreement will not be renegotiated, why are people still banging on about a CU ?

[puts on Kenneth Williams voice] oh, but they’d actually like “that” negotiation
  • Options

Given that the WA contains provisions for a customs union perhaps something can be worked out that is similar. The frothers will be apoplectic but that's frothers for you.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

I do remember Suez, just. The main fear then was all out war.

I agree, Sean, there is interest and a great deal of bewilderment elsewhere, but basically they have more important things to think about.
    When I was growing up, the fear was perishing in a nuclear fire/winter. Threads was actually overoptimistic, when it suggested a population of 11 million, a decade after we were hit by 210 megatons. 750,000 or so, would be more realistic.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited January 2019
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

Brazil has a homicide rate 25 times higher than ours. The average Brazilian would give his eye teeth to have our problems.
    Yes, as I said in my post - I'm well aware of that. And if it was a marginally safer, had a marginally less corrupt political class I'd have moved there years ago. But all that doesn't stop Brazilians from being aware of, and genuinely bewildered by, what is happening here.
  • Options

Channel 4 News featured an interview with John Whittingdale in which he indicated that some German whose name he couldn't pronounce and a Pole had come round to the British view. Definitely getting there ...
    It’s already reached the point of taking the piss out of people peddling “they’re splintering” line
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Nope, both Juncker at the weekend and Verhofstadt today said they would renegotiate for a permanent Customs Union but they would not revisit the backstop without that, as that would be movement from the UK side not the EU side
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/26/juncker-may-backstop-eu-customs-union
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    Leicester always give the opposition a sporting headstart to make it interesting :)
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    So if I was the EU my thinking would be as follows:

I really really don't want a disorderly Brexit and as Theresa May is coming maybe I can bodge something together with her. But I have made so many public pronouncements saying that I'm not budging, plus I'm aware of the example this would set in any other negotiation if I caved now, that I'm not sure I can do anything other than stick to my public line.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

"If the EU now sticks to the proposed backstop without offering any compromises, this will lead to an outcome that all sides want to avoid the most, namely a hard border in Ireland and huge risks for the northern Irish peace process. We can't allow that. Therefore I appeal urgently to all those involved to test all possible options and to allow more time for that."

An extension till the end of 2020?

Just shoot me and throw my corpse in the Thames now. Get it over with.
    Get in line.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

I can understand other companies warning about delays to imports but the amusing thing about the supermarkets and fast food companies is they have spent years banging on about their fresh 100% British produce. How long is McDonald's 100% British Beef going to spend stuck at Calais?

;)

I believe just because something is advertised as being British produce does not mean that it is. As long as it was processed in the UK at one point, it can be labelled as British regardless of source.

The UK imports around 80% of its food, including 50% of meat. The largest source of meat is Irish beef.

I can understand other companies warning about delays to imports but the amusing thing about the supermarkets and fast food companies is they have spent years banging on about their fresh 100% British produce. How long is McDonald's 100% British Beef going to spend stuck at Calais?

;)

I believe just because something is advertised as being British produce does not mean that it is. As long as it was processed in the UK at one point, it can be labelled as British regardless of source.

The UK imports around 80% of its food, including 50% of meat. The largest source of meat is Irish beef.
    I think the proportion of food we import is about one third, not 80%.
    As far as I am aware No Deal Brexit will pose major customs and licencing challenges, but does not amount to an economic blockade. I'd have thought the main effect would be price spikes in fresh food imported from the EU with a knock on effect to the broader economy.

Noone will go hungry but it won't be popular either.
    Imagine , No Lettuce , will be a disaster
    When I was at university, our tutor asked us why it was so difficult for food producers to set up a cartel similar to OPEC. It seems so blindingly obvious, but none of us were smart enough to say "because you can go without certain food products like bananas; there aren't many alternatives to oil."

So it's puzzled me as to why we're not being told that there will be petrol and diesel shortages as that would have much more impact on people.
    Because we don't import our petrol and diesel from the EU.
    Remember the World Cup beer crisis? Maybe refinery’s need stocks of certain special type of NaOH in order to refine to a standard that car engines need, and it turns out we import 94% of from Spain and Italy. Who knows what little surprises are in store...
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Presumably with a permanent Customs Union included, May's deal would receive enough backing from Labour and Tories who want to avoid no deal. So why not go that route for now?

Presumably "a permanent Customs Union" is not actually permanent forever and we could withdraw from it after the transition period if it were in the Conservative manifesto at the next GE and they won.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    TOPPING said:

I really really don't want a disorderly Brexit and as Theresa May is coming maybe I can bodge something together with her. But I have made so many public pronouncements saying that I'm not budging, plus I'm aware of the example this would set in any other negotiation if I caved now, that I'm not sure I can do anything other than stick to my public line.

Not to mention that there is absolutely no guarantee that any changes would a) be supported by all EU countries, b) pass the House, or, perhaps most importantly c) junked at the first politically opportune moment, urged on by a chorus of ERGers in the belief that Johnny Foreigner was on the run.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Can't disagree with much in Alastair's article, If we have another referendum perhaps we should consider adding a further option to abolish parliament altogether and be governed entirely by the EU. I seriously doubt we would be worse off.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

"If the EU now sticks to the proposed backstop without offering any compromises, this will lead to an outcome that all sides want to avoid the most, namely a hard border in Ireland and huge risks for the northern Irish peace process. We can't allow that. Therefore I appeal urgently to all those involved to test all possible options and to allow more time for that."

Get in line.
    I don’t want to be a killjoy, bodies in Thames contravenes a few environmental standards set by the EU, and we wouldn’t actually be out of them by the time the corpse hits the splishy stuff.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Must say Xbox being offline for 2 hours does not bode well for the prospect of the stiff upper lip in the face of shortages.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    TOPPING said:

The EU is one of the many actors in this drama that has made a complete Horlicks of its role.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

dots said:

felix said:

Grabcoque redux!

If I were you I'd worry about your own posts. Plenty to be getting on with there before you turn your attention to other people's.
    Firstly, you’ve completely missed the clever metaphor to the UK EU border.

Secondly, like what?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The EU is one of the many actors in this drama that has made a complete Horlicks of its role.
    Whereas we thought they needed us more than we needed them, I think the EU have been in denial about us leaving and now it's too late.

That said the backstop could and can never be compromised. So all roads would have lead here whatever the interim process.
  • Options
    As of right now that more than slightly fortuitous point at OT last night is looking a lot better than it did this morning.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    TOPPING said:

I think that's probably where they are. As I said yesterday, I think if the EU put a time limit on the backstop the government have the votes to ram it through the house.

I actually think 5-7 year time limit suits us as it gives us a lot more time to fix our non-EU trade deals without having to worry about a cliff edge in two years and negotiating from a position of weakness.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

As of right now that more than slightly fortuitous point at OT last night is looking a lot better than it did this morning.

Yes, but a lot happened in the last ten minutes of that game -what might still happen tonight?
  • Options
    dots said:

DavidL said:

Get in line.
    I don’t want to be a killjoy, bodies in Thames contravenes a few environmental standards set by the EU, and we wouldn’t actually be out of them by the time the corpse hits the splishy stuff.
    We are in danger of having enough boys and girls queuing up to make a new Thames crossing replacing the old London Bridge. God knows what they would think of that. They might even chuck us out and finally solve the problem!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

I think that's probably where they are. As I said yesterday, I think if the EU put a time limit on the backstop the government have the votes to ram it through the house.

I actually think 5-7 year time limit suits us as it gives us a lot more time to fix our non-EU trade deals without having to worry about a cliff edge in two years and negotiating from a position of weakness.
    You are making the mistake of considering the national interest.

The ERG-ers won't have that as it runs the risk of a Corbyn govt making the terms of the backstop permanent.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    TOPPING said:

Whereas we thought they needed us more than we needed them .....

Did anyone seriously think that? UK GDPPPP is just short of $3 trillion. The rest of the EU is 6x as much.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes, but a lot happened in the last ten minutes of that game -what might still happen tonight?
    Hence the reference to right now. Chelsea are looking to be in a difficult place. I wonder how the manager's attempts to inspire his team are going tonight. Spurs may get something yet.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    edited January 2019
    dots said:

I was queuing for bread earlier next to someone with a bit of euro accent who thought its a good idea to reopen the agreement. There you are, there’s another one! They’re splintering. They’re splintering at an alarming rate now.

It’s not one or two voices here there people mention or link to that contemplate opening the agreement to get a better one that is indicative, but the other 440 million voices who quickly say no. If someone answered yes open it we can get better deal they might be thinking its better with UK in CU.

all this clutching at straws to try and justify the governments position just looks sad and pathetic. If people doing it aren’t careful they find others subtly taking the piss.

Decades from now the younglings will ask, it was all before I was born, how did Jeremy Corbyn actually become Prime Minister?
    I think I'm getting whiplash trying to follow your predictions. Weren't you earlier today confidently predicting the EU was going to blink?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

You are making the mistake of considering the national interest.

The ERG-ers won't have that as it runs the risk of a Corbyn govt making the terms of the backstop permanent.
    If we get the deal through I think we ride the wave until 2022 and stay in power until 2027. If we don't Corbyn wins, gets deposed by a restless Labour party and Starmer takes us back into the EU without a vote in 2022.

It's a huge one, but if the EU offer some kind of time limitation on the backstop we'd be absolutely foolish not to take it, even at 10 years.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hence the reference to right now. Chelsea are looking to be in a difficult place. I wonder how the manager's attempts to inspire his team are going tonight. Spurs may get something yet.
    Sarri won't last the season.
  • Options

dots said:

I think I'm getting whiplash trying to follow your predictions. Weren't you earlier today confidently predicting the EU was going to blink?
    Was that today?

Christ this is a lonnnnng brexit
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    edited January 2019
    Why have Liverpool decided to revert to the nervous defence they've had of the last few years? And when did we forget you need to have chances to score?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:
    If you can't get your own deal through the Commons, of course you have to seek to change that deal. What is so difficult about understanding that reality?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

;)

;)

As far as I am aware No Deal Brexit will pose major customs and licencing challenges, but does not amount to an economic blockade. I'd have thought the main effect would be price spikes in fresh food imported from the EU with a knock on effect to the broader economy.

When I was at university, our tutor asked us why it was so difficult for food producers to set up a cartel similar to OPEC. It seems so blindingly obvious, but none of us were smart enough to say "because you can go without certain food products like bananas; there aren't many alternatives to oil."

So it's puzzled me as to why we're not being told that there will be petrol and diesel shortages as that would have much more impact on people.
    Since when have facts got in the way of scaremongering?
    Are you two both high? We have been a net importer of finished petrol and diesel since 2013. Refining capacity is going down, not up
  • Options
    Andrew said:

TOPPING said:

Whereas we thought they needed us more than we needed them .....

Did anyone seriously think that? UK GDPPPP is just short of $3 trillion. The rest of the EU is 6x as much.
    5x. Just over $18trn including us.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Don't bet on Puel being next manager to go. He is safe until summer, and maybe another season. This is a work in progress, and Top knows it.
  • Options

Are you two both high? We have been a net importer of finished petrol and diesel since 2013. Refining capacity is going down, not up

Not from the EU though, most of our oil and gas is imported from Norway, Qatar and soon the US.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    If you can't get your own deal through the Commons, of course you have to seek to change that deal. What is so difficult about understanding that reality?
    Indeed. I think changing it in this way won't work, but it is trying to do what parliament wants. And those cowardly leaking ministers are liars - if the plan was mad they should have resigned rather than go along with it. None of that 'can do more good from the inside' bollocks, you cannot modulate madness.

It's yet more ministers just seeking to defend themselves post May by saying they never supported the thing they demonstrably supported with their votes.
  • Options
    You do have to laugh. Having spent more than 2 years negotiating a deal and insisting until a few days ago that the deal is the only deal, May whips her party to vote against it - and does so herself. Why? So that she can go back to Brussels and be told what she already knows.

Expect xenophobia writ large coming soon. Hate foreigners, the bullying scum. And when we say foreigners, to a Conservative and Unionist MP that will mean the Scots Welsh and Irish as well.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    DavidL said:

5x. Just over $18trn including us.

Was going by this:
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html

But I guess there are different figures out there, it's an estimate after all.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Don't bet on Puel being next manager to go. He is safe until summer, and maybe another season. This is a work in progress, and Top knows it.
    I don't know Puel does to attract the negative press. Quite why Southampton sacked him I don't know.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited January 2019

What at least the Commission has been saying is that they will *only reopen negotiations if the British change TMay's red lines*. They're not prepared to do another round banging their heads against the same walls as they have for the last 2 years, but if one of the previous constraints has gone then changing the agreement might have a point. I'm not sure whether the rest of the member states agree with this - at this point it would probably need more time so potentially you need unanimity - but I don't we've heard anything to the contrary.

What's more mysterious about the people in Britain who say they want a permanent customs union is why they won't just take TMay's deal, since gives the UK the right to a customs union under quite generous conditions...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Started pretty well but the gloss has come off real quick.
  • Options

You do have to laugh. Having spent more than 2 years negotiating a deal and insisting until a few days ago that the deal is the only deal, May whips her party to vote against it - and does so herself. Why? So that she can go back to Brussels and be told what she already knows.

It's another reason she should have actually had the MV back in December. She pulled it and said she would seek changes as it was going to lose. She got nothing, and it lost hugely, and she's used that to point out to the EU that the deal won't pass can she please have some changes.

No, it is not working, but if the idea is parliament formally rejecting her deal and making a comment on a specific aspect might help the EU change its mind, it definitely should have been tried earlier, so it could be recognised if it was not working earlier so more could be tried.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Started pretty well but the gloss has come off real quick.
    I can not understand why Chelsea appointed him. Last year in the Champions League it was City v Napoli and all the pundits were going on about Sarri ball and how good it was. Man City rocked up in Napoli and game them a lesson. The writing was on the wall.
  • Options
    Slow to make a move, and constant sideways and backwards motion at the football - I'm seeing Brexit parallels in everything now.
  • Options
    Jonathan Pearce: Not many will give Bournemouth a chance here given their run of just three league wins in 13 games, Chelsea's 100% record at the Vitality Stadium and the visitors' buoyant cup wins last week...I can't see Bournemouth keeping a clean sheet but it'll be closer than some people think.

Some people get their money easy...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

;)

;)

Wouldn’t oil have dedicated locations for take on? Not being trucked via ferries to Dover.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's another reason she should have actually had the MV back in December. She pulled it and said she would seek changes as it was going to lose. She got nothing, and it lost hugely, and she's used that to point out to the EU that the deal won't pass can she please have some changes.

No, it is not working, but if the idea is parliament formally rejecting her deal and making a comment on a specific aspect might help the EU change its mind, it definitely should have been tried earlier, so it could be recognised if it was not working earlier so more could be tried.
    She doesn't honestly expect any chance of changes. It's more deliberate time-wasting to create a forced choice between two options she is happy with: deal/no deal.

Since time-wasting is the point of the exercise not wasting time would not help.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

I can snip

;)

I believe snip f meat. The largest source of meat is Irish beef.

I ca snippetty snip

;)

Since when have facts got in the way of scaremongering?
    I think the point is that imported petrol/diesel/gas/crude doesn't queue with the lorries at Calais and Dover, it comes ashore as liquid bulk at Milford Haven, Immingham etc., from all over the world. Since it takes all day and a file of paperwork to offload a tanker, it's not the sort of thing that tariffs or NTB paperwork would really slow down.
  • Options

kle4 said:

She doesn't honestly expect any chance of changes. It's more deliberate time-wasting to create a forced choice between two options she is happy with: deal/no deal.

Since time-wasting is the point of the exercise not wasting time would not help.
    Probably not, but it would be less blatant.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

I'm not putting you in that category, but there's a strain of Brexit thought that believes the UK is a very, very important country of which the world should take note, even more so when we're unmoored from EU mediocrity to confidently cruise the globalist oceans.
  • Options
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

;)

;)

Wouldn’t oil have dedicated locations for take on? Not being trucked via ferries to Dover.
    Sorry, I was being facetious. I'm sure we're fine for oil (apart from the value of the £), but nothing would surprise me in the war for hearts and minds.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    On topic - I agree with Alistair 100%. When the brown stuff contacts the air conditioning in such a way as the public notices, which will probably not be until we are well into March, there will be panic and it is very hard to guess what the outcome will be. But we can be sure that it will not be pleasant and the Tories will bet the blame.
  • Options
    Choke choke choke (not the EU unfortunately)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

In the last few weeks I’ve had more people asking me if I think a deal is going to get done. They’re not laughing at us but interested - prior to that it never came up
  • Options
    Remarkably, Spurs are still in the title race.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

dots said:

felix said:

Grabcoque redux!

You’ve completely missed dots clever metaphor to the EU UK border, totally central to all this impasse by taking my post so literally. 🤕 dots not aggressive to (strangely) popular grabcouque, dots slipping in smart metaphor

“If May wins that GE her deals goes through, if she doesn’t, will the last person out the basement where the cheka are putting bullets in heads please turn out the lights”

Topping you are saying this is reference to Labour Government shooting people? Not even Grabcouque at very worst would say such terrible thing about any government, St Gammons Day pun would pale into insignificance

I’m drawing metaphoric parallel to sort of situation brought the Bolshevik to power in Russia. Political impasse. Vacuum. Miscalculations. That makes the unthinkable happen...

Again It was real historic (so sadly) and metaphoric, mix with UK Journalism famous fantabulous

Go ahead. Ban dots ☹️
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

Good post. No chance, as you say, because the whole system is built upon vested interest
  • Options
    Critical paragraph.

No one is changing their minds. The government still seems to be pushing its deal, though it enthrals no one and appals many. The Labour leadership opposes it in favour of its own deal which borrows philosophically from Rorschach inkblots. Conservative Leavers oppose it without being very clear what they would actually actively accept, if they would actively accept anything

It's why kick the can is still everyone's preferred game. Until someone breaks nothing will happen. It's at times like this we could use a few more political cowards who would break, one way or another!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Remarkably, Spurs are still in the title race.

Yes, looked out of it not half an hour ago. I do wish Liverpool could have timed their best title chance in my living memory to not also during the gut punch that is the Brexit settlement period, I'm not sure my nerves can handle both. Scratch that, I know they cannot.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Munich, Suez, Three Day Week, Winter of Discontent, Black Wednesday, Credit Crunch, Brexit.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I think I need to resolve to try to obsess less over this whole mess, it's just causing me anxiety. See everyone in 2 weeks!
    eek said:

kle4 said:

Critical paragraph.

No one is changing their minds. The government still seems to be pushing its deal, though it enthrals no one and appals many. The Labour leadership opposes it in favour of its own deal which borrows philosophically from Rorschach inkblots. Conservative Leavers oppose it without being very clear what they would actually actively accept, if they would actively accept anything

It's why kick the can is still everyone's preferred game. Until someone breaks nothing will happen. It's at times like this we could use a few more political cowards who would break, one way or another!

Or the EU tell us to grow up and sod off - which I suspect they are starting to want to actually state out loud.
    They have as much as done that already, it hasn't made anyone change their view.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    kle4 said:

Critical paragraph.

Or the EU tell us to grow up and sod off - which I suspect they are starting to want to actually state out loud.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

I'm not putting you in that category, but there's a strain of Brexit thought that believes the UK is a very, very important country of which the world should take note, even more so when we're unmoored from EU mediocrity to confidently cruise the globalist oceans.
    I'd say there's a wide strain of political thought that believes the UK is a very, very important country of which the world should take note.

Middle Eastern warmongering, Overseas Aid spending (remember the UK was to become an 'Aid Superpower') and the 'Special Relationship' fawning to the USA being examples.

Blair, Brown and Cameron all had heavy doses of it and possibly Corbyn as well, though Corbyn's would be of a different variety.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Leicester are in their natural league position. There’s no work to progress. It’s done.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I don't know Puel does to attract the negative press. Quite why Southampton sacked him I don't know.
    He’s a colourless charisma vacuum - that can’t be blamed on his English, his French language press conferences were as soul destroying.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited January 2019
    Swap the backstop for reentry after 3 years if no trade deal agreed. Bosh job done.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,818
    edited January 2019
    ### BETTING POST ###

Following my usual practice I wish to inform you that I have today bet £500 with Betfair at 9/4 on the UK leaving the EU by 29/3/2019. #BigBoyPants .

Of course if they do delay it by a couple of weeks as that article[1] suggests I shall look like a tit.

Dammit.

[1] https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/theresa-may/news/101496/excl-top-tory-officials-give
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    edited January 2019
    If the EU really want May's deal to pass they should make it clear that they will not agree an extension to A50 under any circumstances other than to enable the passing of the legislation to enact an agreed deal.
  • Options
    He is in denial.

Unless votes can be won from the ERG or Labour the Deal is dead. There's no chance of votes from the ERG and May won't offer anything to win votes from Labour. The deal is dead.

So if he wants to avoid no deal he has to act now, because May isn't going to do anything to avoid it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
  • Options
    A question for PB Conservatives.

Almost all the PB Conservatives now support May's deal - some enthusiastically and some more grudgingly so - yet a large proportion of Conservative politicians oppose it and very few have publicly supported it.

Why is there this difference between PB Conservatives and Conservative politicians.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Telegraph says the AG is looking at Fiona Onasanya's sentence for undue leniency.

A 3-month sentence means that with good behaviour she could be out by mid-March ready to vote on the PM's nth iteration of the WA deal. Imagine if it were her vote to tie and Bercow went against the PM with a casting vote.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

If the EU really want May's deal to pass they should make it clear that they will not agree an extension to A50 under any circumstances other than to enable the passing of the legislation to enact an agreed deal.

Thing is there must be a significant block of EU thinking that we might just call the whole thing off, certainly until a couple of days ago that must have been at the back of many minds across the EU. That's looking a lot less likely now, but has the EU realised that yet?

So if both the UK and EU want to avoid no deal, then some compromise has to be found very shortly.
This discussion has been closed.