Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The ERG, the new Militant tendency?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

rpjs said:

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

It is all about the blame game now, isn't it?

The Tories undoubtedly hope the EU will be blamed for No Deal. And maybe the EU will be. But it is not very clear how that actually helps us deal with a No Deal. So, what is the plan?

It is also pretty clear that when we do depart Ireland will not do anything to change the border. That will help Ireland, of course. But how does it help us? Our problems are not there, but elsewhere in all kinds of ways.

In short, a No Deal departure puts us in an even weaker negotiating position than we are now.

Wonderful!

If the only thing that stops a deal happening is the refusal to not make the backstop a permanent feature of the agreement, then quite rightly the EU will be to blame.

They screwed down a deal, used their unity to give us a punishment beating. And the British Parliament said no. Too cocky by half.

Bring it on.

Yep, bring it on. And then what?

We are buggered, but it will bugger them also (to a lesser extent). I dont want a no deal, but the EU is not acting reasonably by expecting a backstop in perpetuity. A compromise or fudge is a crowning feature of most of what the EU does.
    But the backstop is not supposed to be in perpetuity. It’s supposed to be until the Brexiteers can pull their “technological solution” to the Irish border out of their pet unicorn’s arse. The fact that no Leaver seems to have any confidence that that will happen and so complain about a “perpetual” backstop speaks volumes.
    It’s subject to EU approval of the technological solution. As with so much here it’s a lack of trust that’s the issue. And if you don’t trust your partner a deal can’t work
    And yet the one person on all sides who has played with an absolutely straight bat at all times in this whole process is Barnier.
    That's great. He was supposed to help to get a deal though. Drafting a deal, as May could tell him, doesn't win you any prizes.
    It is not Barnier who made a mess of the UK negotiating position. If May didn't think she could get her deal through she should not have agreed to it. The fact that she did agree to it makes it reasonable that Barnier she then expect that meant she could get it through Parliament. It was not his job to babysit the British side of the negotiation.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Chris said:

It's pretty clear that the Irish will not do anything to disrupt the border after No Deal. It is also pretty obvious why they would not say this in advance.

Varadkar has simply painted himself in to a corner

hes now starting to get pressure at home from all sides

really he should have settled back in Septmeber

He has a very, very easy way out. Unfortunately, we do not.

he no longer has , If he holds his position he;ll get thumped for any disruption, if he changes hell get thumped by FF and SF

he has an election coming up TM doesnt

Why would FF and SF hammer him for making no changes at the border?

Mr Alanbrooke is very very disparaging about Mr Varadkar. I wonder why he dislikes him so?
    I suppose gay Irish Indians are never going to be popular in all quarters.

I have wondered whether the venom that gets spat in his direction is always for purely political reasons.
    What an unpleasant smear

Perhaps you could provide one single piece of evidence that @Alanbrooke is racist or homophobic.

If not you owe him a fulsome apology
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Nandy voting for Cooper

No way TND 30 is going to materialise if Nandy voting for i thought she would abstain.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Charles said:

Chris said:

It's pretty clear that the Irish will not do anything to disrupt the border after No Deal. It is also pretty obvious why they would not say this in advance.

he no longer has , If he holds his position he;ll get thumped for any disruption, if he changes hell get thumped by FF and SF

Mr Alanbrooke is very very disparaging about Mr Varadkar. I wonder why he dislikes him so?

I have wondered whether the venom that gets spat in his direction is always for purely political reasons.
    What an unpleasant smear

Perhaps you could provide one single piece of evidence that @Alanbrooke is racist or homophobic.

nah

I never get excited about it, I dish it out at times so can take the flak back.

• Options

Letwin on fire again.

I thought he’d been told never to play with matches?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Charles said:

Chris said:

What an unpleasant smear

As you can see, I was speaking about the venom directed at Varadkar generally.

And frankly I'd be amazed if some of it wasn't influenced by his sexuality and/or race. Just as some of the venom directed at Diane Abbott is no doubt influenced by her race.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

No, they are frightened. They know 2016 was a lucky fluke and they know that once the implications of leaving start to become evident in the real world, people will go off their project pretty quickly. And quite possibly dramatically. Hence they want to go for a big leap rather than the sensible gradual transition, and want to get beyond a point of no return before people start clamouring for that return.

OK I will take that - a 5th possibility, frightened.

I suppose in reality it varies. Scared, lazy, deceitful, thick, deluded - one or more of these things depending on the individual.

Quite a crew - viva the ERG!
    TBF that description probably covers 90% of our MPs!
  • Options

Charles said:

rpjs said:

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

It is all about the blame game now, isn't it?

The Tories undoubtedly hope the EU will be blamed for No Deal. And maybe the EU will be. But it is not very clear how that actually helps us deal with a No Deal. So, what is the plan?

It is also pretty clear that when we do depart Ireland will not do anything to change the border. That will help Ireland, of course. But how does it help us? Our problems are not there, but elsewhere in all kinds of ways.

In short, a No Deal departure puts us in an even weaker negotiating position than we are now.

Wonderful!

If the only thing that stops a deal happening is the refusal to not make the backstop a permanent feature of the agreement, then quite rightly the EU will be to blame.

They screwed down a deal, used their unity to give us a punishment beating. And the British Parliament said no. Too cocky by half.

Bring it on.

Yep, bring it on. And then what?

We are buggered, but it will bugger them also (to a lesser extent). I dont want a no deal, but the EU is not acting reasonably by expecting a backstop in perpetuity. A compromise or fudge is a crowning feature of most of what the EU does.
    But the backstop is not supposed to be in perpetuity. It’s supposed to be until the Brexiteers can pull their “technological solution” to the Irish border out of their pet unicorn’s arse. The fact that no Leaver seems to have any confidence that that will happen and so complain about a “perpetual” backstop speaks volumes.
    It’s subject to EU approval of the technological solution. As with so much here it’s a lack of trust that’s the issue. And if you don’t trust your partner a deal can’t work
    And yet the one person on all sides who has played with an absolutely straight bat at all times in this whole process is Barnier.
    Yes, but unless takes over from Juncker (AIUI his ambition) he’s irrelevant in future.
This discussion has been closed.