Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some comfort for TMay from YouGov – 56% of those polled have f

Comments

• Options
    I don't think pity was the emotion Thatcher sought.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,038
    edited January 2019

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Pity is the most dangerous emotion for her. She would do better to be hated if she wanted to achieve anything.

Hated is no use unless it’s hated AND feared.
    That's not the mission statement of your company is it?
    No. The strategic mission to be independent and family owned on a 25, 50 and 100 year basis. The mission statement is to treat customers as we would want to be treated ourselves
    I hope you wish to be treated grandly, like an Ottoman Sultan then, since as a customer I would love companies to treat me that way.

If that's your mission statement, it's stupid and you're doomed.

Your mission statement should be "we plan to continue to exist, screw your parochial 'family company' bullshit, this is capitalism and we've got bills to pay".

The true strategic mission should be 'become an Amazon affiliate'. Because it's either that or wait for the day Amazon decides to get into your line of business and uses its terrifying economies of scale and logistic networks to undercut you until you bleed to death.
    Mrs Bezos may soon prove to be the first person who has managed to bleed Amazon once her divorce gets under way
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

Don't we have more admirals than ships these days?

41 Admirals and 50 ships (if you count OPVs, MCMs and don't count HMS Victory)

The British Army has more more horses than tanks though.
    I stand corrected.

Not sure about your implication that the Army equivalent of Admirals is horses though.

At least you can ride horses.
    Yes, but if you do it at sea the horses drown. It's a problem.
    Explains why the Navy cavalry didn't figure at Trafalgar I guess.
    I only know of one direct pitched battle between cavalry and a navy.

The cavalry won.

Mind you, I think the weather had something to do with it...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_the_Dutch_fleet_at_Den_Helder
    Fantastic stuff. I bet that was a grand victory to tell tales about later in one's career.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

I'll try and make it easy for Tezzie.

100 MPs think your deal is too BINO.

400 MPs think your deal is not BINO enough.

Which way should you move to get more MPs to support your deal?

I'll give you a clue - it doesn't involve inviting the ERG and the bowler hats round for tea and biscuits.

A majority of Tory MPs back May's Deal or No Deal though and it is actually about 300 MPs not 400 MPs who think May's Deal is not BINO enough (100 of the 400 MPs who voted against May's Deal were No Dealers) and 90% of those who think May's Deal is not BINO enough are not Tory MPs.

Hence May cannot move any further towards BINO, so votes on the staying in the single market and customs union and on EUref2 with a Remain option will have to come from MPs themselves not the PM which will come into play in the next few weeks thanks to the Grieve amendment and with Bercow's support.
    Perhaps the best we can hope for now is that May will carry on making the noises she thinks will keep the Tory party in one piece, but will acquiesce in the House of Commons taking the responsibility out of her hands.
    She will have to, the most powerful person in the country for the next few weeks is no longer Theresa May, it is John Bercow, ably supported by Dominic Grieve.

That likely means a Remain v Deal referendum, though May can at least blame it on Parliament forcing EUref2 on her rather than she proposing it herself. Secretly I also doubt she would be that unhappy, the Deal tends to be rather more popular with voters than MPs, especially if head to head with Remain and the only means to preserve Brexit
    The only way May can exercise and control now is by calling an election, which is why I think it is likely.
    She can't as even if she got a majority of 100, given at least a third of Tory MPs would likely be committed No Dealers that would still not ensure her Deal got through.

In fact the only way the Deal may get through now is in a Remain v Deal referendum (or better still but less likely to pass the Commons, a Deal v No Deal referendum)
    I think those 380 or so Tories (in a 100 maj) would find it pretty difficult not to vote her Deal through if she had just won an election on the back of a promise to deliver her Deal (a manifesto all the Tories had stood on).
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

HYUFD said:

At what point does repeatedly saying repeatedly saying "nothing has changed" in response to every unfolding national crisis switch from being an amusing mental illness to a terrifying risk to national security?

Asking for a Prime Minister.

Your repeated comments on TM mental illness is an insult to all the people suffering in this country

You use it to try and make yourself feel better but it is just pathetic

TM has many faults but to continue to imply she has a mental illness is absurd unless you can prove your accusation.
    I expect May has at least some symptoms of mild high functioning aspergers, indeed I expect plenty on PB probably are in a similar boat, myself included. Though I state that as a suspected fact not an insult
    We know she is diabetic but unless medical confirmation of other conditions are made it is not in anyone's interest to make statements without evidence
    I mean she's not high-functioning. One of the features of a high-functioning individual is, though they are neurologically incapable of *understanding* human behaviour, they at least have learned how to fake competence.

I don't think anybody would credibly accuse May of faking competence.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'll give you a clue - it doesn't involve inviting the ERG and the bowler hats round for tea and biscuits.

A majority of Tory MPs back May's Deal or No Deal though and it is actually about 300 MPs not 400 MPs who think May's Deal is not BINO enough (100 of the 400 MPs who voted against May's Deal were No Dealers) and 90% of those who think May's Deal is not BINO enough are not Tory MPs.

Hence May cannot move any further towards BINO, so votes on staying in the single market and permanently in the customs union and on EUref2 with a Remain option will have to come from MPs themselves not the PM which will come into play in the next few weeks thanks to the Grieve amendment and with Bercow's support.
    Sorry 300 not 400.

However, just because the only route to a majority is cross party is not a reason to rule it out.

May might not want to acknowledge the reality but I think the majority of the cabinet now do.
    Indeed and Parliament is about to take control
    What do they intend to do with it? Control without a plan won't be control at all.
    Somebody should have told Vote Leave that three years ago.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Hence May cannot move any further towards BINO, so votes on the staying in the single market and customs union and on EUref2 with a Remain option will have to come from MPs themselves not the PM which will come into play in the next few weeks thanks to the Grieve amendment and with Bercow's support.
    Perhaps the best we can hope for now is that May will carry on making the noises she thinks will keep the Tory party in one piece, but will acquiesce in the House of Commons taking the responsibility out of her hands.
    Everyone wants the responsibility out of their hands. That's the problem.
  • Options
    It's going to be No Deal, because the malfunctioning Maybot will let it happen, and the chickenshit simpletons of the Tory front bench have no idea how to turn it off.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

I stand corrected.

Not sure about your implication that the Army equivalent of Admirals is horses though.

This is why so few admirals plough the waves these days.

Although on a serious note, shouldn't we include commodores as well when talking about admirals? There are rather a lot of them and they rank above a ship's captain.
    They could fix it all by constraining 'rank inflation'. The Captain of QNLZ is a Rear Admiral for fuck's sake. I feel justified in militating for this now that my largely meaningless OF-4 promotion is under my belt.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

At what point does repeatedly saying repeatedly saying "nothing has changed" in response to every unfolding national crisis switch from being an amusing mental illness to a terrifying risk to national security?

Asking for a Prime Minister.

Your repeated comments on TM mental illness is an insult to all the people suffering in this country

You use it to try and make yourself feel better but it is just pathetic

TM has many faults but to continue to imply she has a mental illness is absurd unless you can prove your accusation.
    I expect May has at least some symptoms of mild high functioning aspergers, indeed I expect plenty on PB probably are in a similar boat, myself included. Though I state that as a suspected fact not an insult
    We know she is diabetic but unless medical confirmation of other conditions are made it is not in anyone's interest to make statements without evidence
    I mean she's not high-functioning. One of the features of a high-functioning individual is, though they are neurologically incapable of *understanding* human behaviour, they at least have learned how to fake competence.

I don't think anybody would credibly accuse May of faking competence.
    Now that is fair comment
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

I stand corrected.

The cavalry won.

Fantastic stuff. I bet that was a grand victory to tell tales about later in one's career.
    It gives a whole new meaning to the expression 'ice right...'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Pity is the most dangerous emotion for her. She would do better to be hated if she wanted to achieve anything.

Hated is no use unless it’s hated AND feared.
    That's not the mission statement of your company is it?
    No. The strategic mission to be independent and family owned on a 25, 50 and 100 year basis. The mission statement is to treat customers as we would want to be treated ourselves
    I hope you wish to be treated grandly, like an Ottoman Sultan then, since as a customer I would love companies to treat me that way.

If that's your mission statement, it's stupid and you're doomed.

Your mission statement should be "we plan to continue to exist, screw your parochial 'family company' bullshit, this is capitalism and we've got bills to pay".

The true strategic mission should be 'become an Amazon affiliate'. Because it's either that or wait for the day Amazon decides to get into your line of business and uses its terrifying economies of scale and logistic networks to undercut you until you bleed to death.
    Mrs Bezos may soon prove to be the first person who has managed to bleed Amazon once her divorce gets under way
    If I were him I'd just pay to have her 'taken care of'.

"Make it look like an accident. And please, I don't want her to suffer... much."
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Except May, who's too unable to read human behaviour to realize that everyone else is boxing her in to take 100% of the blame.

She still thinks the game is "deliver the best deal for Britain" rather than the actual game which is "no deal Chaos, May blamed".
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    FF43 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

But obviously that would involve a danger of splitting the parliamentary Tory party almost exactly in two.
    It has seemed pretty apparent to me for quite some time that the cost of a getting a Brexit deal would be the fall of the Tory government, both for the reason you mention and the DUP. Sucks for them, but if May and most of her party do not, in fact, believe no deal is better than a bad deal, then the national interest they talk about would be to do what it takes to get a deal through even at the cost of a split and a fall.
    I suppose it's not a question of whether No Deal is worse, but of how much worse. And the same for Labour's calculation of its party advantage.

I can see either party putting political advantage above the good of the country. I can't see them initiating absolute catastrophe for party advantage. I wonder how well informed most MPs are about what would happen if we leave with No Deal.
    But that won't be the trade off. So you exit to No Deal. Now what? It's the catastrophe that makes No Deal so bad for the Party (and incidentally for the country)
    Well, if the Tories thought it would be a catastrophe that would be another strong reason for them not to do it - because they'd get the blame.

But the point I'm making is that if they just thought it would be damaging to the country but not catastrophic, then they might think that was preferable to splitting the party.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,856
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

I stand corrected.

The cavalry won.

The US Navy has an Army (the Marines) which in turn has its own Air Force (the USMCA)
    So the USMCA is the Navy's Army's Air Force.

This is only matched by the planes that fly off a Chinese aircraft carrier. Which is the People's Liberation Army Navy Airforce.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Theresa May leaves diplomats in 'disbelief' after presenting EU leaders with unchanged Brexit demands"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/18/theresa-may-leaves-diplomats-disbelief-presenting-eu-leaders/
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    HYUFD said:

You've been fairly quiet this week. Hope all is well.

If you wouldn't mind indulging me on a cold Friday night, first question - do you think an election at this time desirable or beneficial or necessary?

Second question - the Prime Minister has always stood four square opposed to a second referendum, do you support this or would you like to see the WA put to the people in a referendum?

Third question (to win absolutely nothing at all) - should Leaving without a Deal be on the ballot paper and how do you think elements of the Conservative Party will react if it is not?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Hence May cannot move any further towards BINO, so votes on staying in the single market and permanently in the customs union and on EUref2 with a Remain option will have to come from MPs themselves not the PM which will come into play in the next few weeks thanks to the Grieve amendment and with Bercow's support.
    Sorry 300 not 400.

However, just because the only route to a majority is cross party is not a reason to rule it out.

May might not want to acknowledge the reality but I think the majority of the cabinet now do.
    What do they intend to do with it? Control without a plan won't be control at all.
    Somebody should have told Vote Leave that three years ago.
    Fair call, however repeating an error doesn't make things better. Perhaps parliament will manage to have a plan, I hope so, but people parroting a line about 'taking back control' because it throws a Leave line back in leave's face is not initself a sign that anything positive will come of it. It's like if people throw the 'Brexit means Brexit' line back in May's face to counter their own vague unicorn ideals with her previous vague unicorn statements. It was stupid when she said it, and it'd be stupid if anyone else says it.

And yes, I have said it myself.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Theresa May leaves diplomats in 'disbelief' after presenting EU leaders with unchanged Brexit demands"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/18/theresa-may-leaves-diplomats-disbelief-presenting-eu-leaders/

Nope, perfectly neurotypical, sane behaviour.

PERFECTLY FINE.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

I stand corrected.

The cavalry won.

The US Navy has an Army (the Marines) which in turn has its own Air Force (the USMCA)
    So the USMCA is the Navy's Army's Air Force.

This is only matched by the planes that fly off a Chinese aircraft carrier. Which is the People's Liberation Army Navy Airforce.
    Tell that to the Marines...
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

It's going to be No Deal, because the malfunctioning Maybot will let it happen, and the chickenshit simpletons of the Tory front bench have no idea how to turn it off.

Surely at some point Hammond Gauke Rudd and others will resign if May continues to a no deal endgame .
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Remind me again of the definition of madness... :(
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Not sure how much comfort pity is. I pity May, I don't respect her.

Whilst obviously a PM would prefer to be respected than pitied, it's better to have the pity than neither? Which is one thing May still has over Brown, since, even after the public had lost respect for him, they also thought he was such an unlikeable, untrustworthy person that they didn't even sympathise with him.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sorry 300 not 400.

Vote for the only thing there probably is a majority for in Parliament now, a Remain v Deal referendum
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    AndyJS said:

Already noted. There's nothing unbelievable about it, nor even unreasonable. She's told them and everyone before she could not deliver without certain things, which the EU won't give, and she isn't lying or bluffing about that, the parliamentary vote proves that. They've no reason to change their minds now, but May cannot give more to the EU or ask for less without losing loads more votes, so as stupid as repeating the demands are they cannot be a surprise to any diplomat, on any side, who is keeping up with the political situation.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Surely at some point Hammond Gauke Rudd and others will resign if May continues to a no deal endgame .
    You misunderstand. May truly isn't pursuing a No Deal endgame. She still believes, because she's dangerously broken, that her deal is the best deal and she can deliver it.

On the other hand, the DUP, the ERG and Labour are pursuing a No Deal endgame. They all want to box her in, push her right to the cliff edge.

She hasn't realised this.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    Chris said:

FF43 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

But obviously that would involve a danger of splitting the parliamentary Tory party almost exactly in two.
    It has seemed pretty apparent to me for quite some time that the cost of a getting a Brexit deal would be the fall of the Tory government, both for the reason you mention and the DUP. Sucks for them, but if May and most of her party do not, in fact, believe no deal is better than a bad deal, then the national interest they talk about would be to do what it takes to get a deal through even at the cost of a split and a fall.
    I suppose it's not a question of whether No Deal is worse, but of how much worse. And the same for Labour's calculation of its party advantage.

I can see either party putting political advantage above the good of the country. I can't see them initiating absolute catastrophe for party advantage. I wonder how well informed most MPs are about what would happen if we leave with No Deal.
    But that won't be the trade off. So you exit to No Deal. Now what? It's the catastrophe that makes No Deal so bad for the Party (and incidentally for the country)
    Well, if the Tories thought it would be a catastrophe that would be another strong reason for them not to do it - because they'd get the blame.

But the point I'm making is that if they just thought it would be damaging to the country but not catastrophic, then they might think that was preferable to splitting the party.
    Indeed they have lost their minds. Or rather, to return to your original question, some of them have. Other Tory MPs are well aware of the looming disaster.
  • Options
    "Why a UK general election is more likely than you think

A snap election didn’t work out so well last time but Theresa May could find herself with little choice.

By Charlie Cooper"

https://www.politico.eu/article/why-a-uk-general-election-is-more-likely-than-you-think/
  • Options
    edited January 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

She will have to, the most powerful person in the country for the next few weeks is no longer Theresa May, it is John Bercow, ably supported by Dominic Grieve.

That likely means a Remain v Deal referendum, though May can at least blame it on Parliament forcing EUref2 on her rather than she proposing it herself. Secretly I also doubt she would be that unhappy, the Deal tends to be rather more popular with voters than MPs, especially if head to head with Remain and the only means to preserve Brexit
    The only way May can exercise and control now is by calling an election, which is why I think it is likely.
    She can't as even if she got a majority of 100, given at least a third of Tory MPs would likely be committed No Dealers that would still not ensure her Deal got through.

In fact the only way the Deal may get through now is in a Remain v Deal referendum (or better still but less likely to pass the Commons, a Deal v No Deal referendum)
    I think those 380 or so Tories (in a 100 maj) would find it pretty difficult not to vote her Deal through if she had just won an election on the back of a promise to deliver her Deal (a manifesto all the Tories had stood on).
    Except I doubt they all would stand on that promise, many would issue their own manifestos backing No Deal as many Tory candidates issued their own manifestos in 1997 ruling out the single currency against official party policy under Major which still left the option open to join it
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

How does she turn it off Mr Hat Trim? On her desk next to the A50 button is bright one saying revoke.
    Do you concede how hard it is politically, not just a vociferous bunch of Her MPs but party members, donors, voters supporting her party for her to hit that button?
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

You misunderstand. May truly isn't pursuing a No Deal endgame. She still believes, because she's dangerously broken, that her deal is the best deal and she can deliver it.

On the other hand, the DUP, the ERG and Labour are pursuing a No Deal endgame. They all want to box her in, push her right to the cliff edge.

Wrong, it is only Corbyn and Hoey and a handful of others in Labour who want No Deal, the vast majority of Labour MPs want EUref2 with a Remain option
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Nope, perfectly neurotypical, sane behaviour.

PERFECTLY FINE.
    Parliament has chopped her legs off and you expect her to be able to sprint in two opposite directions simultaneously? That's basically what she's facing, given she loses votes whichever way she goes. She's helped get to that point, but that is the point we're at regardless, she cannot change position without knowing parliament will back it, and they cannot agree.

Unless Labour agree to back something it's no deal. Labour would agree a GE, and many of them want a referendum too. I don't see what else is up for discussion. In the meantime, it's a holding pattern with the EU - since they've insisted they won't change anything substantive, it doesn't matter what May says to them except to confirm our eventual capitulation to remain, acceptance of the deal or telling them to bugger off.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A snap election didn’t work out so well last time but Theresa May could find herself with little choice.

By Charlie Cooper"

https://www.politico.eu/article/why-a-uk-general-election-is-more-likely-than-you-think/

It's one of the stupidest options, so of course it is more likely than it should be.
  • Options
    dots said:

How does she turn it off Mr Hat Trim? On her desk next to the A50 button is bright one saying revoke.
    Do you concede how hard it is politically, not just a vociferous bunch of Her MPs but party members, donors, voters supporting her party for her to hit that button?
    Truth is, she doesn't. There is zero room for manoeuvre.

* Labour will not support any deal, under ANY circumstances.
    * The ERG and the DUP will only support a deal without a backstop.
    * The EU will never agree to a deal without a backstop.

May will sooner or later realise that circumstances and politics are determined to push her all the way to the cliff edge.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Wrong, it is only Corbyn and Hoey and a handful of others in Labour who want No Deal, the vast majority of Labour MPs want EUref2 with a Remain option
    They don't want no deal, but nor do they mind it as much as they blubber about it. They'd happily see it happen on the chance of getting a remain option. So would many Tories.
  • Options

dots said:

Truth is, she doesn't. There is zero room for manoeuvre.

* Labour will not support any deal, under ANY circumstances.
    * The ERG and the DUP will only support a deal without a backstop.
    * The EU will never agree to a deal without a backstop.

May will sooner or later realise that circumstances and politics are determined to push her all the way to the cliff edge.
    On this, at least, I think you have summed it up completely correctly.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

Well you could be correct.
    One would hope May could see reality then eventually before it is to late.
    However I think she is past any sort of rational reasoning .
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

If you wouldn't mind indulging me on a cold Friday night, first question - do you think an election at this time desirable or beneficial or necessary?

Second question - the Prime Minister has always stood four square opposed to a second referendum, do you support this or would you like to see the WA put to the people in a referendum?

Third question (to win absolutely nothing at all) - should Leaving without a Deal be on the ballot paper and how do you think elements of the Conservative Party will react if it is not?
    Been busy at work and my father is having surgery next week to remove a tumour in his bowel so have not had a great deal of time to post with other things going on (and may have lost my permission anyway for a time) but have been lurking from time to time.

On your first question no I do not think an election is desirable and personally I backed May's Deal but think it will have to be put to the people now in a referendum given there is no majority in Parliament for any 1 option but may be for a Remain v Deal ballot. I would be happy with having No Deal on the ballot but Parliament would not, if we do get a Remain v Deal referendum it will be Labour, LD, SNP MPs and say 50 Tory MPs (Remainers and a few ex Deal switchers) who will pass it, most Tory MPs will vote against
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

They don't want no deal, but nor do they mind it as much as they blubber about it. They'd happily see it happen on the chance of getting a remain option. So would many Tories.
    Labour don't want No Deal, they want to destroy the Tories. All they need to do is push May all the way to the cliff edge. If we get to there May will have only two choices:

1. Revoke - Tory party fractures in civil war, Labour wins
    2. Crash out with May at the wheel - Tories get the blame for economic chaos, Labour wins.

Labour do not want No Deal, but it is in their strong interests to do nothing that stops May from marching ever closer.
  • Options

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Except May, who's too unable to read human behaviour to realize that everyone else is boxing her in to take 100% of the blame.

She still thinks the game is "deliver the best deal for Britain" rather than the actual game which is "no deal Chaos, May blamed".
    But May can simply turn it on the Remainers and say "if you wanted to avoid No Deal, you should have voted for my deal".
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

They might vote for a Remain v No Deal referendum but would prefer Remain v Deal
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    dots said:

Easily enough - if she put the National Interest ahead of her Party. She says nothing, writes a letter to Brussels revoking A50 and sends it off via courier. When it is safely there, she goes quietly to the Dispatch Box and announces an immediate free vote - back A50 revocation or the cliff-edge.

It is a binary choice. The choice that was always on offer. Stay or Go - no ifs, no frills, no buts.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sorry 300 not 400.

Vote for the only thing there probably is a majority for in Parliament now, a Remain v Deal referendum
    Is there a majority for that ? Neither front bench is keen.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,346
    HYUFD said:

Been busy at work and my father is having surgery next week to remove a tumour in his bowel so have not had a great deal of time to post with other things going on (and may have lost my permission anyway for a time) but have been lurking from time to time.

So sorry to hear that - I hope the operation goes well.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

But May can simply turn it on the Remainers and say "if you wanted to avoid No Deal, you should have voted for my deal".

She could, if she wanted to be laughed at I guess. It was barely convincing as an argument before the deal was monstered by Parliament and opinion polls on a truly galactic scale.

I suppose you could say the argument was "retro kitsch" or something.

Be under no illusions, if we go over the cliff edge with May at the wheel, the Tories are finished for a looooong time.

Corbyn knows this, of course. Hence his actions.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What a bad week. May drove us down a cul de sac. She has no reverse gear, no steering wheel. Meanwhile Corbyn, who could push us out of the mess rammed us into a brick wall and started kicking the car. Any other potential route out is immediately closed down.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Labour don't want No Deal, they want to destroy the Tories. All they need to do is push May all the way to the cliff edge. If we get to there May will have only two choices:

2. Crash out with May at the wheel - Tories get the blame for economic chaos, Labour wins.

Labour do not want No Deal, but it is in their strong interests to do nothing that stops May from marching ever closer.
    Note that in this strategy there is not the slightest consideration for what might be best for the country as a whole - or even certain classes within it, such as the working class for example.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,083
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sorry 300 not 400.

"Things don't happen just because Prime Ministers are very keen on them! Neville Chamberlain was very keen on peace."
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

1. The Tory Party will never revoke, neither I expect will Corbyn, if we Remain it will only be through EUref2.

2. If Corbyn has not committed to back EUref2 and we crash out with No Deal then the LDs or a new centrist party could benefit from any Tory defections, not Labour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

They might vote for a Remain v No Deal referendum but would prefer Remain v Deal
    I agree. My point was there's no guarantee they will get any referendum and in seeking one to the end they might cause the no deal they falsely claim they will not permit.

Now, I do actually think they have enough allies across the House to get a referendum, but they clearly are prepared to see no deal happen in the attempt, even if unsuccessful. They don't fear it as they say they do. Indeed, politically Labour might gain from it, and the idea that is not in some of their minds would not hold up, any more than the idea it is not firmly in many Tory minds.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

By Charlie Cooper"

It's one of the stupidest options, so of course it is more likely than it should be.
    I can't see how a general election can result in anything positive before 29th March, no matter who wins. Not enough time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Thanks, operation is on Monday so will keep my fingers crossed and will be going to see him later in the week provided all goes to plan. The consultant seems to think they got it reasonably early which is something but of course you never really know
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

What a bad week. May drove us down a cul de sac. She has no reverse gear, no steering wheel. Meanwhile Corbyn, who could push us out of the mess rammed us into a brick wall and started kicking the car. Any other potential route out is immediately closed down.

Yep. Monday looks like being a laughing stock, or a horror show, and no one is showing any sign of coming down off the ledge (oh, by the way the cul de sac is on the edge of a cliff as well). There's been this assumption all along that they won't really let it happen like that, but the politics is closing off the options, and the sides appear to be getting more unreasonable, not less. No one is breaking first. It makes me sick.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited January 2019

dots said:

Easily enough - if she put the National Interest ahead of her Party. She says nothing, writes a letter to Brussels revoking A50 and sends it off via courier. When it is safely there, she goes quietly to the Dispatch Box and announces an immediate free vote - back A50 revocation or the cliff-edge.

It is a binary choice. The choice that was always on offer. Stay or Go - no ifs, no frills, no buts.
    But an absence of concern for the interests of the country is the one thing she has in common with the Leader of the Opposition.

We wouldn't be in this effing mess if our politicians were in the habit of putting the country's interests ahead of the Party's.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,346
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. Personally I don't think it's in our interest for the EU to agree to an extension otherwise, since we all know what will happen: TM will spin things out until the new deadline, and we'll have had some more months of uncertainty and achieved nothing further.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sorry 300 not 400.

It will be backbenchers who vote for it using the Grieve amendment
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    AndyJS said:

By Charlie Cooper"

I will be surprised if we have an election before May 2nd this year - same day as Local Elections.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

1. The Tory Party will never revoke, neither I expect will Corbyn, if we Remain it will only be through EUref2.

2. If Corbyn has not committed to back EUref2 and we crash out with No Deal then the LDs or a new centrist party could benefit from any Tory defections, not Labour
    This is my point, of course. Corbyn doesn't care about remain or no deal. He seems totally uninterested in Brexit as anything other than a means to an end.

As an old Trot, what he REALLY cares about is laying waste to the Tories. *If* he can force May all the way to the cliff edge, every possible decision from there leads to disaster for them.

We should be surprised not in the least that Corbyn is trying to push May to the cliff edge, for that is where the best interests of himself and his party lie.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks, operation is on Monday so will keep my fingers crossed and will be going to see him later in the week provided all goes to plan. The consultant seems to think they got it reasonably early which is something but of course you never really know
    Good luck. Hope all goes well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932
    Jonathan said:

Grieve/Bercow/Boles will betray the people rescue sterling...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I agree. My point was there's no guarantee they will get any referendum and in seeking one to the end they might cause the no deal they falsely claim they will not permit.

What reason does Corbyn have for backing a referendum? What does it gain him?

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck with that. I hope you receive good news.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It pleases his members, and he can say it is a free vote and lay low like the last one, while watching the Tories blow themselves apart.

But his seeming (and surprising) reticence is one reason why risking no deal in pursuit of remain (sorry, a referendum) is a genuine thing, and why MPs who want one but cry about no deal are being phoney. They wouldn't do anything to stop it, they are content to see it happen rather than vote for the deal for instance, and fair enough if that is what they want, but they won;t convince me they truly think no deal is a disaster therefore.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Now, I do actually think they have enough allies across the House to get a referendum, but they clearly are prepared to see no deal happen in the attempt, even if unsuccessful. They don't fear it as they say they do. Indeed, politically Labour might gain from it, and the idea that is not in some of their minds would not hold up, any more than the idea it is not firmly in many Tory minds.
    I think most MPs who back a referendum, certainly on the Labour side, back the People's Vote argument that it should be Deal v Remain but of course until we get to the vote we will not know
  • Options

dots said:

But an absence of concern for the interests of the country is the one thing she has in common with the Leader of the Opposition.

We wouldn't be in this effing mess if our politicians were in the habit of putting the country's interests ahead of the Party's.
    Indeed. I apologise for bringing it up! :'(
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

This is my point, of course. Corbyn doesn't care about remain or no deal. He seems totally uninterested in Brexit as anything other than a means to an end.

As an old Trot, what he REALLY cares about is laying waste to the Tories. *If* he can force May all the way to the cliff edge, every possible decision from there leads to disaster for them.

We should be surprised not in the least that Corbyn is trying to push May to the cliff edge, for that is where the best interests of himself and his party lie.
    That is where Corbyn thinks his interests lie but most of his party remain committed to EUref2 with a Remain option
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck. Hope all goes well.
    Thanks
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    HYUFD said:

Irrespective of our political differences, I wish you and especially your father well and hope the procedure has the desired outcome and your father enjoys a swift recovery.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck with that. I hope you receive good news.
    Thanks
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Irrespective of our political differences, I wish you and especially your father well and hope the procedure has the desired outcome and your father enjoys a swift recovery.
    Thankyou
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

By Charlie Cooper"

I can't see how a general election can result in anything positive before 29th March, no matter who wins. Not enough time.
    It is "Displacement Activity", nothing more.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It pleases his members, and he can say it is a free vote and lay low like the last one, while watching the Tories blow themselves apart.
    Not the members he cares about. PV-ers are all Blairite traitor scum.

Corbyn's only mildly polite concession to the irritating fungible mass of centrist FBPE fungus going on endlessly and tediously about a people's vote is that he's just ignored a second ref rather than publicly denounce what an obviously terrible, stupid idea it is.

In any case, Corbyn's wheeze of boxing May in and pushing her closer to the cliff edge and disaster seems to be working beautifully. I see zero reason for him to change.

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    edited January 2019

kle4 said:

In a normal world, some of the route maps out of this might include a Labour leadership election. I think in current circumstances, if one were triggered, there is something in the rules linking a challenge to conference, so perhaps a bloody minded NEC would still try to schedule it for October!
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Not the members he cares about. PV-ers are all Blairite traitor scum.

Corbyn's only mildly polite concession to the irritating fungible mass of centrist FBPE fungus going on endlessly and tediously about a people's vote is that he's just ignored a second ref rather than publicly denounce what an obviously terrible, stupid idea it is.

In any case, Corbyn's wheeze of boxing May in and pushing her closer to the cliff edge and disaster seems to be working beautifully. I see zero reason for him to change.

He might not, hence my anger at the phoney no deal complainers.
  • Options
    From Texas / New Mexico / Arizona, does Mecca line up with Trump's office in the Whitehouse?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That is where Corbyn thinks his interests lie but most of his party remain committed to EUref2 with a Remain option

You know, if Labour weren't the primary beneficiary of Tory no-deal chaos I think Corbyn would be fine with that.

Yeah, he loves the Labour movement. But he HATES Tories. And we all know hatred is the more powerful emotion.

Playing his part in rendering the Tories unelectable for a generation, regardless of beneficiary, would allow him to retire happy.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

All the best to you, your Father, and family

Keep positive and do not worry about PB

We will still be around for a long time
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

kle4 said:

In a normal world, some of the route maps out of this might include a Labour leadership election. I think in current circumstances, if one were triggered, there is something in the rules linking a challenge to conference, so perhaps a bloody minded NEC would still try to schedule it for October!
    Yes, Labour needs to convene a special conference to affirm the result of the electoral college vote. And the NEC controls the timetable. And the NEC is majority Momentum-slate.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited January 2019
    Previous Thread.

Joe Biden is going to be very hard to beat if he runs. Age is NOT a factor if the last presidential round is anything to go by plus who gives a toss if he is up against an equally aged Trump? O'Rourke at this point is a name in the news and f**k all else so his position in the betting is not yet good value. He is a wait and see.

Senior Democrats are seeking a solid and optimistic middle of the roader just as much as some 'he/she is the next Kennedy' figure. What they want to avoid is a leftist packed field and bloody primary season.

Re: Sanders. The hierarchy will seek to bring him down. That has already started, the aim being that he doesn't even start a run.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You know, if Labour weren't the primary beneficiary of Tory no-deal chaos I think Corbyn would be fine with that.

Yeah, he loves the Labour movement. But he HATES Tories. And we all know hatred is the more powerful emotion.

Playing his part in rendering the Tories unelectable for a generation, regardless of beneficiary, would allow him to retire happy.

Certainly if No Deal is to be stopped it will be Labour backbenchers and Tory Remainers and the LDs and SNP doing the heavy lifting not Corbyn
  • Options
    Guys, we're less than an hour away from 19th Jan. You know what that means?

19th Jan is the day that Prof. John Curtice estimates, based on demographic trends, that the UK's leave majority will have died off from old age, gammon-related illness and general wastage.

I feel like 19th Jan should be a public holiday.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

All the best to you, your Father, and family

Keep positive and do not worry about PB

We will still be around for a long time

Thanks BigG
  • Options
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

By Charlie Cooper"

I will be surprised if we have an election before May 2nd this year - same day as Local Elections.
    And while you are here did you know Scottish labour has produced a media video extolling the wonder of Scotland and it's scenery using mountains from ......North Wales

Widely panned in Scotland and laughed at here in North Wales as the Welsh media to to town over it
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Liz’s audition as a new DExEU spin doctor:

https://twitter.com/theneweuropean/status/1086197493380104192?s=21

I've never heard of Liz Kershaw but if she isn't a spoof she must be one of the stupidest people ever to have been asked to do a paper review.
  • Options

And while you are here did you know Scottish labour has produced a media video extolling the wonder of Scotland and it's scenery using mountains from ......North Wales

Widely panned in Scotland and laughed at here in North Wales as the Welsh media to to town over it

They were STUNT SCOTTISH MOUNTAINS. You just need to learn to suspend your desbelief.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I've never heard of Liz Kershaw but if she isn't a spoof she must be one of the stupidest people ever to have been asked to do a paper review.
    One of the stupidest who isn't an ERG MP, you mean.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

...Been busy at work and my father is having surgery next week to remove a tumour in his bowel...

Just remember that we are a bunch of nutters who spend too much time talking about politics on the internet, but family is the important thing. Go look after your Dad for a while: he has a good chance and I hope he will be OK. We'll be here when you get back. Good luck.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

On your first question no I do not think an election is desirable and personally I backed May's Deal but think it will have to be put to the people now in a referendum given there is no majority in Parliament for any 1 option but may be for a Remain v Deal ballot. I would be happy with having No Deal on the ballot but Parliament would not, if we do get a Remain v Deal referendum it will be Labour, LD, SNP MPs and say 50 Tory MPs (Remainers and a few ex Deal switchers) who will pass it, most Tory MPs will vote against
    Hope your father's op goes well.
  • Options

They were STUNT SCOTTISH MOUNTAINS. You just need to learn to suspend your desbelief.
    It was Tryfan, a much loved mountain 25 miles from my home
  • Options
    How to rationalise polling you disagree with 101

• Options
    Roger said:

I've never heard of Liz Kershaw but if she isn't a spoof she must be one oe stupidest people ever to have been asked to do a paper review.
    It it answers your question she is a dedicated brexiteer and often on Sky paper reviews
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Joe Biden is going to be very hard to beat if he runs. Age is NOT a factor if the last presidential round is anything to go by plus who gives a toss if he is up against an equally aged Trump?

There is stacks of footage of Biden being handsy and creepy with women young and old. He was damn lucky to make it out with the Vice-Presidency and his reputation semi-intact. He would not survive scrutiny in these #MeToo times.

• Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

...Been busy at work and my father is having surgery next week to remove a tumour in his bowel...

Just remember that we are a bunch of nutters who spend too much time talking about politics on the internet, but family is the important thing. Go look after your Dad for a while: he has a good chance and I hope he will be OK. We'll be here when you get back. Good luck.

Very well said
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Yorkcity said:

Nothing has changed.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Roger said:

From the report:
    "if you believe in Brexit you can say ‘isn’t it good news that means Philips believes it can still transport these bottles and warmers frictionless trade back into the UK."

Why isn't this woman a cabinet minister?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Hope your father's op goes well.
    Don't feel obliged to acknowledge all the best wishes individually, but I join in hoping the op and recovery go well.
This discussion has been closed.