Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More Democrats put their hats into the ring in the fight for t

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

the only way this could be better is if it was EU law...

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1086214081013575680

Well I suppose if you aren't bothered about things like truth and facts then trifles like copyright law can be dismissed at will.
    Wetherspoons has a magazine?
    God, yes. Along with the manager and staff of the Elmer Chickenshit pub taking part in a worthy fun run for charity it is pages and pages of full scale Brexit paranoia. The other day I was stuck at the airport as the weather closed in with nothing to entertain me except Wetherspoon's Mein Kampf levels of hatred against the elites and how they were betraying the people of Britain.
    The elites that own chains of pubs are an exception of course.
    Hardly elite pubs. though. I made the mistake of going to one once and ordering some food. It's not a mistake I shall ever make again.
    The Wetherspoons in Spennymoor is outstandingly good value.
    None of them are particularly good value. You pay low prices, for absolutely bloody awful food.
    I used to go in the Briar Rose on Bennett’s Hill in Central Birmingham which had a great selection of real ales and you didn’t see any of the fellow professional types who preferred the wine bars off Colmore Row. They also used to do a pint of real ale and a chicken burger (which was a chicken breast) on a bun with chips and salad - 5 quid for both. That’s about 5 years ago mind you but outstanding valued if you go in the right one.
    I very much doubt the chicken was high welfare. I don't eat any chicken that isn't free range and I'd encourage others to observe similar standards.
    I'm no fan of Wetherspoons but you really shouldn't make comments like that these days when it is so easy to check first.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/food/food-provenance/our-poultry
    In fairness, that doesn't say that the chicken burger he ate five years ago was free range. I said I very much doubt that it was high welfare, at that price, which I stand by. It is possible that I am wrong to doubt it but I remain sceptical.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

The more I think about this, the more utterly brilliant it becomes in terms of a Machiavellian masterstroke.

May tries to dissolve Parliament on Monday. GE takes place Feb 28.

Too late for any party to say they would renegotiate a 'jobs-first Brexit' with the EU now. It's the "Noel Edmonds General Election": de facto 'Deal or No Deal'.

Lib Dems will stand for Remain - naturally. So will the SNP. But the Tories stand on a 'Theresa May's Deal' or no Deal platform. It's a twisted, nightmarish #PeoplesVote that even the most hardcore Remainer could never have imagined. And the fact that the ECJ has said we can revoke at any point just adds to the mix. Tories may not be scared by possibility of no Brexit, but I bet the Leavers will.

If Labour stand on a 'No Deal' platform they will be crucified by Remainers and Business alike. If they stand on a 'Remain' platform they will hemorrhage WWC voters in droves. Who will doubtless vote Tory. No time for UKIP to try to get something up and running either to hollow out the Tory vote.

As I say, a masterstroke. I'm in awe. Even before Christmas, she couldn't have pulled this off as they might have been time to claim a renegotiation for Labour. Providing May doesn't do anything stupid (not guaranteed) during the campaign, expect a landslide Tory victory, and 'The Deal' in law ready to exit the EU on March 29th.

Which means, if Labour *really* want to survive all of this, and want to leave the Tories with a No Deal disaster, they should do everything in their power *not* to agree to dissolve Parliament on Monday. And how will that look in the eyes of everyone?

Discuss!

Individual candidates will just make it clear that they don't support certain parts of the manifesto.
    It's the dishonest tragedy of FPTP.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited January 2019

The more I think about this, the more utterly brilliant it becomes in terms of a Machiavellian masterstroke.

Too late for any party to say they would renegotiate a 'jobs-first Brexit' with the EU now. It's the "Noel Edmonds General Election": de facto 'Deal or No Deal'.

Lib Dems will stand for Remain - naturally. So will the SNP. But the Tories stand on a 'Theresa May's Deal' or no Deal platform. It's a twisted, nightmarish #PeoplesVote that even the most hardcore Remainer could never have imagined. And the fact that the ECJ has said we can revoke at any point just adds to the mix. Tories may not be scared by possibility of no Brexit, but I bet the Leavers will.

If Labour stand on a 'No Deal' platform they will be crucified by Remainers and Business alike. If they stand on a 'Remain' platform they will hemorrhage WWC voters in droves. Who will doubtless vote Tory. No time for UKIP to try to get something up and running either to hollow out the Tory vote.

As I say, a masterstroke. I'm in awe. Even before Christmas, she couldn't have pulled this off as they might have been time to claim a renegotiation for Labour. Providing May doesn't do anything stupid (not guaranteed) during the campaign, expect a landslide Tory victory, and 'The Deal' in law ready to exit the EU on March 29th.

Which means, if Labour *really* want to survive all of this, and want to leave the Tories with a No Deal disaster, they should do everything in their power *not* to agree to dissolve Parliament on Monday. And how will that look in the eyes of everyone?

Discuss!

But what if Labour stand on a delay Article 50 platform? To allow time to re-negotiate if they win. An entirely reasonable position given the circumstances, which would allow them to continue to ride both horses.
    Meanwhile there would be Tories for No Deal, Tories for Remain, Tories for Delay, Tories for re-negotiating and Tories for Mays deal.
    And what about Mays promise to step down before the next election? It would be the first question asked.
  • Options

Discuss!

Individual candidates will just make it clear that they don't support certain parts of the manifesto.
    It's the dishonest tragedy of FPTP.
    Never underestimate the tempting power of a majority government and the rewards of loyalty. The flipside of the tragedy of FPTP...
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Discuss!

I think a snap election is a complete fantasy, shows the level of desperation to which we have sunk, but if it were to come about I guess Labour's official line would be to extend A50 to allow their unicorn deal to be negotiated.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    So we have a snap election - am I exected to believe that if I vote for Dr. Sarah Wollaston, she will magically support Theresa May's Shit Deal?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,292
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Well I suppose if you aren't bothered about things like truth and facts then trifles like copyright law can be dismissed at will.
    Wetherspoons has a magazine?
    God, yes. Along with the manager and staff of the Elmer Chickenshit pub taking part in a worthy fun run for charity it is pages and pages of full scale Brexit paranoia. The other day I was stuck at the airport as the weather closed in with nothing to entertain me except Wetherspoon's Mein Kampf levels of hatred against the elites and how they were betraying the people of Britain.
    The elites that own chains of pubs are an exception of course.
    Hardly elite pubs. though. I made the mistake of going to one once and ordering some food. It's not a mistake I shall ever make again.
    The Wetherspoons in Spennymoor is outstandingly good value.
    None of them are particularly good value. You pay low prices, for absolutely bloody awful food.
    I used to go in the Briar Rose on Bennett’s Hill in Central Birmingham which had a great selection of real ales and you didn’t see any of the fellow professional types who preferred the wine bars off Colmore Row. They also used to do a pint of real ale and a chicken burger (which was a chicken breast) on a bun with chips and salad - 5 quid for both. That’s about 5 years ago mind you but outstanding valued if you go in the right one.
    I very much doubt the chicken was high welfare. I don't eat any chicken that isn't free range and I'd encourage others to observe similar standards.
    Funnily enough, was discussing the Spoons last night with a couple of fellow real ale fans. The fundamental problem is there are never enough staff for the number of customers wanting to be served.

I don't do waiting when I want a pint. Not more than two or three minutes anyway.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Discuss!

But what if Labour stand on a delay Article 50 platform? To allow time to re-negotiate if they win. An entirely reasonable position given the circumstances, which would allow them to continue to ride both horses.
    Meanwhile there would be Tories for No Deal, Tories for Remain, Tories for Delay, Tories for re-negotiating and Tories for Mays deal.
    And what about Mays promise to step down before the next election? It would be the first question asked.
    Fine - I can see that playing well with a population fed up with Brexit. "Vote Brexit for more delay!"

And the EU haven't promised to delay. They do allow revoke. Subtle but important difference. Labour can *ask* for a delay...

As I say, never underestimate the power of, well power and patronage. Tories would have to sign up for the manifesto which expressly said 'Deal'. If they didn't: deselected. The Tories would have to decide if they wanted to split or power. Precious little time to arrange anything.

As for May's promise to stand down before the election. There is no time, and this is really a #PeoplesVote to break the logjam.

Simples.
  • Options

Discuss!

I think a snap election is a complete fantasy, shows the level of desperation to which we have sunk, but if it were to come about I guess Labour's official line would be to extend A50 to allow their unicorn deal to be negotiated.
    *posts emoji of Gordian Knot being cut*

As I say, that's a banner to stand behind: "Vote Labour for more delay".
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Deary me, PBers liking Weatherspoons and McD food....OGH get your house in order, ban these people forthwith.

Wetherspoons are Chav central.

They are frequented by people who think Die Hard is a Christmas film and pineapple is an acceptable topping for pizza.
    Spoons are great if you fancy a pint at 8 in the morning. Not that I ever do.

However you can buy an unlimited supply of filter coffee and use their wifi for under £2, which is nice.

I have also once stayed in a Spoons hotel. There was an elderly chap who lived in one of the rooms.
  • Options

Tories would have to sign up for the manifesto which expressly said 'Deal'. If they didn't: deselected. The Tories would have to decide if they wanted to split or power. Precious little time to arrange anything.

As for May's promise to stand down before the election. There is no time, and this is really a #PeoplesVote to break the logjam.

Simples.

So you are deselecting not only Wollaston, Grieve and Soubry, but also Boris, Rees-Mogg and IDS?
  • Options

Deary me, PBers liking Weatherspoons and McD food....OGH get your house in order, ban these people forthwith.

Wetherspoons are Chav central.

They are frequented by people who think Die Hard is a Christmas film and pineapple is an acceptable topping for pizza.
    Spoons are great if you fancy a pint at 8 in the morning. Not that I ever do.

However you can buy an unlimited supply of filter coffee and use their wifi for under £2, which is nice.

I have also once stayed in a Spoons hotel. There was an elderly chap who lived in one of the rooms.
    Was his name Tim?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Can we talk Trump please. The Cohen allegations are very severe. They are essentially the same ones - that the President instructed a subordinate to purjure themselves - that led to the downfall of Nixon.

Is it possible that Republicans with an eye on the history books start to distance themselves from the president?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rcs1000 said:

Can we talk Trump please. The Cohen allegations are very severe. They are essentially the same ones - that the President instructed a subordinate to purjure themselves - that led to the downfall of Nixon.

Is it possible that Republicans with an eye on the history books start to distance themselves from the president?

Depends if Cohen can produce any hard evidence of his assertions such as a letter or email from Trump directing him to lie. If it is just verbal testimony then I expect the GOP to dismiss it as fake news
  • Options

Tories would have to sign up for the manifesto which expressly said 'Deal'. If they didn't: deselected. The Tories would have to decide if they wanted to split or power. Precious little time to arrange anything.

Simples.

So you are deselecting not only Wollaston, Grieve and Soubry, but also Boris, Rees-Mogg and IDS?
    I guess it would be up to the local association to decide. They are notoriously reluctant to be pushed around by Conservative Central Office, but they would also have to decide how much they wanted to ensure Corbyn doesn't get in. Which seems to be catnip to Tories at the moment...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Simples.

MR Bookseller is de-selecting dozens and dozens. Presumably summarily, without Association support. Under such circumstances, a sitting MP, particularly an Independent No Dealer may find a large number of willing activists, and more voters.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    rcs1000 said:

Donald Trump's bigger problem is that these revelations have coincided with what appears to be a flaking away of previously-reliable supporters. While he controls a sizeable bloc, he won't be taken on. If he looks to be unpopular, everyone will be queuing up to kick him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yes, these new allegations look both serious and very hard to deny, if this report is correct:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/trump-russia-cohen-moscow-tower-mueller-investigation?ref=hpsplash
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Obscure music reference time:

Would a Snap! election result in The Madman's Return to government. Will he have The Power to renegotiate Brexit?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Depends if Cohen can produce any hard evidence of his assertions such as a letter or email from Trump directing him to lie. If it is just verbal testimony then I expect the GOP to dismiss it as fake news
    Larry Hogan to primary Trump?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/18/larry-hogan-donald-trump-2020-election-1110535
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Simples.

MR Bookseller is de-selecting dozens and dozens. Presumably summarily, without Association support. Under such circumstances, a sitting MP, particularly an Independent No Dealer may find a large number of willing activists, and more voters.
    Nearly 120. A significant number of whom, if deselected, would stand as independents.

It makes no sense to me to call an election. None at all. Madness.

Nailed on to happen then.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    Has Trump tweeted about the Cohen allegations?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yes, these new allegations look both serious and very hard to deny, if this report is correct:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/trump-russia-cohen-moscow-tower-mueller-investigation?ref=hpsplash
    Oh, please, please let there be a smoking email.

Ideally, on an unsecured server held in Trump's own hotel.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Oh, please, please let there be a smoking email.

Ideally, on an unsecured server held in Trump's own hotel.
    And he will parrot 'fake news'. He is an utter disaster
  • Options
    Just popping back in for a few mins. In case our Scottish Nationalist friend is in (you know the one that shouts abuse at you if you dare impune the nationalist view of the world), I thought I would let him see this. Have a good weekend everyone. Heil Salmond!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/27/parallels-scottish-nationalism-racism-sadiq-khan
  • Options

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1086277705916502017
  • Options

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1086277705916502017
    Thanks.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953

Wetherspoons is fine for beer.

+1

Many a fine night in the Bournemouth ‘Spoons in my youth.

On a dark cold winter Monday night in Leominster a few years ago it was the only place serving food. It was perhaps the one bright spot in an awful 16 hours in hat place...
  • Options

In case our Scottish Nationalist friend is in (you know the one that shouts abuse at you if you dare impune the nationalist view of the world)

How is that supposed to cut down the field?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,924

Scott_P said:

Whenever I see Mr weatherspoon I always think he's just shat himself and it's dribbling down his leg. Seriously. Next time you see him on telly just look at him.
  • Options
    Trigger warning for all those snowflakes upset by today's Evening Standard cartoon.

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1086316577258119169
  • Options
    Blimey Momentum have worked themselves up into a right old state about whether Labour are behind in the polls or not, following BBC QT last night.

What happened to:

a) We don't care or believe in polls as most of them are developed by Peter Mandelson?

b) Jezza came from miles behind to nearly become PM last time and will do again?

Is the cult beginning to get seriously worried?
  • Options
    Top tweet - so true
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,903

Just popping back in for a few mins. In case our Scottish Nationalist friend is in (you know the one that shouts abuse at you if you dare impune the nationalist view of the world), I thought I would let him see this. Have a good weekend everyone. Heil Salmond!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/27/parallels-scottish-nationalism-racism-sadiq-khan

No doubt there are racist Scottish Nationalists (and Scottish Unionists) but racism is not the driving force of either cause.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,903

Trigger warning for all those snowflakes upset by today's Evening Standard cartoon.

That falls into Alistair Meeks' category of tasteless but funny, rather than tasteless and unfunny.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Blimey Momentum have worked themselves up into a right old state about whether Labour are behind in the polls or not, following BBC QT last night.

What happened to:

a) We don't care or believe in polls as most of them are developed by Peter Mandelson?

b) Jezza came from miles behind to nearly become PM last time and will do again?

The double-diamond standard YouGov has the Tories in front. Nothing more to say really.

:smiley:

In all seriousness, it's amazing how correlated the Con and UKIP shares are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

What happened to:

If Corbyn wants power, all he has to do is wait until May feels confident enough to call a snap election, then pivot to a second referendum on the first day of the campaign.

It really is quite obvious that this is the easiest way to a) lull May into a false sense of security and b) pull the rug out from underneath her.

• Options
    kyf_100 said:

What happened to:

If Corbyn wants power, all he has to do is wait until May feels confident enough to call a snap election, then pivot to a second referendum on the first day of the campaign.

It really is quite obvious that this is the easiest way to a) lull May into a false sense of security and b) pull the rug out from underneath her.

Dunno. There are awful lot of Leaver saturated marginals iirc.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That falls into Alistair Meeks' category of tasteless but funny, rather than tasteless and unfunny.
    And mine
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    This is how a Jezza government will work. Fiona Bruce was toast of the Left last week as she took on James Cleverly.

This week, she is being lined up for a reeducation camp thanks to a comment about Labour and polls.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

What happened to:

And lose swathes of his non metropolitan seats and the election
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,924
    Anazina said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:
    This is why May MUST make her choice - soft Brexit as it can win in Parliament and is in the national interest.
    'Top' minister?? Does anyone take Penny Splash seriously??
    I don't know what to think of her. I like her life history and I think she has an irreducible core (unlike bojo). But she believes in homeopathy. So...um?
  • Options
    Jezza to table EDM on No Deal exit.
  • Options

Jezza to table EDM on No Deal exit.

Waste of time
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Borough, is that before or after Corbyn proposes something that might actually happen instead?

So far, the 'compromise' talks appear to be every side willing for their opponents to compromise, which doesn't really change much.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    dixiedean said:

Simples.

If Theresa May withdrew the whip from every Tory MP, she'd have the 100% backing of her Parliamentary party.

It's a foolproof plan.
  • Options

So unable to support those endless claims of Fascist sympathisers and appeasers of Nazis then?

Still, always good to get an insight on appeasement and Fascist sympathies from a supporter of the party of Halifax, Hoare, Mosley and Archibald Ramsay.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2019
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Whenever I see Mr weatherspoon I always think he's just shat himself and it's dribbling down his leg. Seriously. Next time you see him on telly just look at him.
    He has a peculiar face which is two sizes too small for his head.
This discussion has been closed.