Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More Democrats put their hats into the ring in the fight for t

Comments

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

IanB2 said:

So many talk about stopping no deal but it amazes me that they think saying it it will happen

There were several examples of mps yesterday on the media saying it has to be stopped but not how

Some of these politicians say TM is to blame for the 29th March no deal exit date, but 498 of them voted for it and simply had not thought if through. Each and every one of them shares collective responsibility although not the 114 who voted against

There are only 3 ways to stop it. Sign a deal (there is one ready to go), revoke A50 or extend it, subject to the 27 EU countries terms

But you also have to have a government to put forward the legislation and a HOC to vote for it

So when anyone says stop no deal, they have to say how

I think people are deliberately being overly pedantic about this. When people say Theresa May should rule out no deal, they mean rule out it ever being the government's position, and that furthermore she should commit to doing everything in her power to avert it (rather than just everything that respects her red lines, or everything that keeps her party on side, etc.)

I also think it is within her power practically. If she put forward a bill saying that, if no deal is reached by March 28th, we will automatically revoke A50, I'm pretty certain that would get through parliament. Not doing so is her choice, whether or not that's a justifiable choice.
    That would finish her in the party
    Because otherwise she has a long and rosy future?
    Not quite the same.

She has a rocky road in front but she is not going to betray all she has worked for on brexit
    Not sure what you mean. In the referendum she campaigned for remain. Everything she worked on since then is her deal, which would be equally "betrayed" by No Deal as by Remain, surely?
    She will not surrender on Brexit and do anything that helps remain
    Perhaps she won't. Whether she could or should is a different question.
  • Options
    If there does have to be a second referendum with remain on the ballot, surely it should have a minimum threshold of the 17.4m votes there were for brexit for it to pass?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

kinabalu said:

I do wonder if some Americans voted for him out of a sense of morbid fascination - "How bad COULD he be?"

You know what, I would like to think so. Still reprehensible, of course, but not quite such a basket of deplorable as actually liking him.

Still, don't mind me, I've got full blown TDS. It's making me a bit crazy and hard to be around.
    Politics as freak-show.

Pay a shilling - and watch the inmates of Bedlam for a laugh....
    I truly think that those who voted for him broadly fell into two camps:
    1. those who believed he diagnosed and spoke to genuine issues that they felt strongly about and which no other politician was even admitting into the debate
    2. those who hated Hillary and her policies, and voted holding their noses about Trump's awful personality because they believed/hoped he would at least prove a good business and executive mind in the Oval Office.

My guess is that virtually all of category 2 have deserted him, and that most of category 1 are trapped into still supporting him, because the basis of their original decision still holds true. And the more other politicians, particularly Democrats, ridicule Trump's statements and decisions (and even personality), the more they will cleave to him.

I was never a Trump supporter, but even now I can still see the appeal - on issues like Syria, NATO and China he is willing to break the mold (even though is implementation is awful) on issues that no other politician will touch. But lest anyone misread that, I think he is an unmitigated disaster for the country.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

So many talk about stopping no deal but it amazes me that they think saying it it will happen

There were several examples of mps yesterday on the media saying it has to be stopped but not how

Some of these politicians say TM is to blame for the 29th March no deal exit date, but 498 of them voted for it and simply had not thought if through. Each and every one of them shares collective responsibility although not the 114 who voted against

There are only 3 ways to stop it. Sign a deal (there is one ready to go), revoke A50 or extend it, subject to the 27 EU countries terms

But you also have to have a government to put forward the legislation and a HOC to vote for it

I think people are deliberately being overly pedantic about this. When people say Theresa May should rule out no deal, they mean rule out it ever being the government's position, and that furthermore she should commit to doing everything in her power to avert it (rather than just everything that respects her red lines, or everything that keeps her party on side, etc.)

I also think it is within her power practically. If she put forward a bill saying that, if no deal is reached by March 28th, we will automatically revoke A50, I'm pretty certain that would get through parliament. Not doing so is her choice, whether or not that's a justifiable choice.
    Not quite the same.

She has a rocky road in front but she is not going to betray all she has worked for on brexit
    Not sure what you mean. In the referendum she campaigned for remain. Everything she worked on since then is her deal, which would be equally "betrayed" by No Deal as by Remain, surely?
    Indeed - of course she could, but impossible for her to should
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer

The fact that Laura K is merely a mundane conduit is of importance because she is the political editor of the BBC. Her neutrality is not the issue, it is that she just parrots the lines she is fed.

If you want a proper national TV hack, go for Peston. He's a risk taker and not always right but at least he works hard to get behind the official line, which means he often provides insights and even scoops that are beyond LK, who is just a bit rubbish.

What Matt Frei says or doesn't say in a German bakehouse is utterly trivial.

When peston was at the bbc he did just the same as Laura k. He was the conduit for the treasury, then there was a change of government and his direct contact went out the window along with the accuracy of most of his reports.
    Rubbish. He got one of the best biz scoops of modern times with his Northern Rock story.
    Isn't that what Mr Urquhart said? His story was just a direct conduit from the Treasury .
    He got that as leaked information via his unnamed inside source at the Treasury.

AKA proper journalism.
    Proper journalism is more than just having a single source inside the Treasury and parroting them.
    Yes, he had/has many good sources. As I say in my OP, he's a risk taker, but at least he gets behind the line. LK doesn't.
  • Options

If there does have to be a second referendum with remain on the ballot, surely it should have a minimum threshold of the 17.4m votes there were for brexit for it to pass?

People's Vote?

I might raise a few eyebrows here, but:

Bring 'em on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around!
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer

The fact that Laura K is merely a mundane conduit is of importance because she is the political editor of the BBC. Her neutrality is not the issue, it is that she just parrots the lines she is fed.

If you want a proper national TV hack, go for Peston. He's a risk taker and not always right but at least he works hard to get behind the official line, which means he often provides insights and even scoops that are beyond LK, who is just a bit rubbish.

When peston was at the bbc he did just the same as Laura k. He was the conduit for the treasury, then there was a change of government and his direct contact went out the window along with the accuracy of most of his reports.
    Rubbish. He got one of the best biz scoops of modern times with his Northern Rock story.
    Isn't that what Mr Urquhart said? His story was just a direct conduit from the Treasury .
    He got that as leaked information via his unnamed inside source at the Treasury.

AKA proper journalism.
    Proper journalism is more than just having a single source inside the Treasury and parroting them.
    Yes, he had/has many good sources. As I say in my OP, he's a risk taker, but at least he gets behind the line. LK doesn't.
    His sources were, Ed Balls and Will Lewis (news international and brother of Gordon Brown's Director of Communications).
  • Options

Why? People change their minds. I am not mad keen on a new referendum, but that is, sorry, just plain silly
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer

AKA proper journalism.
    Peston repeats any old nonsense.
    Met him once. He makes the most egotistical politician seem like a model of humility.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,012
    edited January 2019

eek said:

4) as an MP introduce the amendment David Green published earlier today...

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1086180708069064704

because (and I say this on all projects I work on as they are always either Pilots, Proof of Concepts or Experiments)

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1086236745639886850
    That is just an argument to revoke Article 50. It means that the EU would just sit back and wait for revocation.
    The point is that it removes an option of the table. As currently we have the Deal, No Deal and Revoke as possible (albeit all unlikely options) and none of them win against the other 2 options.

By insisting on a vote on revoking A50 on March 28th one of the extreme options will be removed and finally MPs will have to make a binary decision based on what is left on the table.

So I actually don't care which option wins and whether the final vote is No Deal against May's deal or Revoke and May's Deal both questions are binary and will force MPs into a position where they have to choice one of them and cannot weasel their way out of it.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

IanB2 said:

Not quite the same.

That is why, IMO, she is unsuitable to be PM, or even in front-line politics.
  • Options
    Anecdote warning with all usual caveats.

I spoke to someone yesterday and at the end of the meeting we got into a general chat and into the subject of Brexit. He said he was Remain 2 years ago (he mentioned that to me at the time two years ago too) but that Britain made a choice and we need to follow through with it. He blames the politicians for the impasse at the moment and not honouring the public's wishes. Says we just need to get on with it now and if there was another vote he would now vote Leave.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Won't mean that there will be one, or even that there is a high chance.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Michael Crick will already be getting ever so over-excited about who will be paying for said hypothetical bus.
  • Options

I spoke to someone yesterday and at the end of the meeting we got into a general chat and into the subject of Brexit. He said he was Remain 2 years ago (he mentioned that to me at the time two years ago too) but that Britain made a choice and we need to follow through with it. He blames the politicians for the impasse at the moment and not honouring the public's wishes. Says we just need to get on with it now and if there was another vote he would now vote Leave.

You are right, anecdotal and, therefore meaningless
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not quite the same.

You may be right, but from where I'm sitting she is less unsuitable than the main alternatives, particularly Mr. Thicky.
  • Options

So to be in the top 2 options this time, it needs more than the top 1 option last time?

You're a clever lad, aren't you?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Michael Crick will already be getting ever so over-excited about who will be paying for said hypothetical bus.
    Perhaps it will be paid for from the Brexit bonus. Oh, hang on...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768

What of Julian Castro?

I think the lack of response says it all ?
    Politico had an article recently...
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/01/13/2020-election-julian-castro-223963
  • Options

So to be in the top 2 options this time, it needs more than the top 1 option last time?

You're a clever lad, aren't you?
    I think it was an attempt at sarcasm.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

I do know a couple of people who have switched from Remain to actively saying they would vote leave. More people who voted Remain and think the whole process has been shambolic but that we should leave. Don’t know any leavers who have switched to remain. It’s what makes me very sceptical that a second vote is a likely win for Remain.

I do think however that it is very difficult for someone who voted leave to openly say they were wrong to do so and would now vote remain. It’s just natural to want to save face. But in the secrecy of the ballot box there could well be a decent amount of leavers that no longer have confidence in Brexit.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,341

I do know a couple of people who have switched from Remain to actively saying they would vote leave. More people who voted Remain and think the whole process has been shambolic but that we should leave. Don’t know any leavers who have switched to remain. It’s what makes me very sceptical that a second vote is a likely win for Remain.

I do think however that it is very difficult for someone who voted leave to openly say they were wrong to do so and would now vote remain. It’s just natural to want to save face. But in the secrecy of the ballot box there could well be a decent amount of leavers that no longer have confidence in Brexit.
    I know some leavers - including in my family - who voted Leave as a protest and never imagined they would win. Given the chaos that has ensued, that must be a fertile patch for new Remain voters next time.
  • Options

There are one or two... according to the Japan Times:
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/01/18/world/politics-diplomacy-world/regretful-remainer-now-former-brexit-backers-lobby-chance-right-wrong-ballot-box/
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

Nice suggestion! As an alternative I like the idea of Remain needing 60% to overturn the original decision.

As so often in life and politics there is a lesson from cricket. When you're given out, you can ask for a review, and you will be successful if that shows clear and palpable error by the umpire. If it shows that the original decision was right, or just perhaps right, then it stands. Perhaps right is known as 'umpire's call'. A great system since it eradicates terrible mistakes but at the same time protects the authority of the on-field umpire - just as here we need to correct a terrible mistake but without disrespecting the original referendum.

So, Remain was given out LBW in 2016 and now we review. Is the ball clipping leg? Ok, so still out. Just missing leg by a hair? Umpires call, still out. Missing by a country mile? Decision reversed and we remain.

60% seems about right for that. And as it happens - if up against May's despised deal - I foresee no problem in Remain clearing that.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I think Mrs May has gone off elections and referendums - doesn't sound likely.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Peston - correlation doesn’t equal causation but the demise of the Brown administration and the decline of his accurate insight do appear to march in step.
  • Options

No need to be rude. Anecdotal yes but interestingly matches what OGH said in yesterday's header.
  • Options

In fairness though, Nigel, it is an argument and one I have some sympathy with - a sort of 'lay in the bed you've made' line of thought. Brexit may be a disaster but we would get over it in time and if it made people a bit more careful about what they voted for, and a bit more aware of the importance of political choices, would that be such a bad thing.

The counter-arguments are plenty of course, but I wouldn't be dismissive of Philip's line. It's certainly far more reasonable than some of the nonsense that was trotted out at the referendum.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Completely O/T: This is an excellent 'long read' article on euthanasia in the Netherlands. Balanced and very thought-provoking:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jan/18/death-on-demand-has-euthanasia-gone-too-far-netherlands-assisted-dying

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting indeed.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Hugh Gaitskell died 56 years ago today. He was a pretty inspirational speaker.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nice suggestion! As an alternative I like the idea of Remain needing 60% to overturn the original decision.

As so often in life and politics there is a lesson from cricket. When you're given out, you can ask for a review, and you will be successful if that shows clear and palpable error by the umpire. If it shows that the original decision was right, or just perhaps right, then it stands. Perhaps right is known as 'umpire's call'. A great system since it eradicates terrible mistakes but at the same time protects the authority of the on-field umpire - just as here we need to correct a terrible mistake but without disrespecting the original referendum.

So, Remain was given out LBW in 2016 and now we review. Is the ball clipping leg? Ok, so still out. Just missing leg by a hair? Umpires call, still out. Missing by a country mile? Decision reversed and we remain.

60% seems about right for that. And as it happens - if up against May's despised deal - I foresee no problem in Remain clearing that.
    I guess it is a relief your metaphor is cricket and not WW2.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I know of a Leaver who has switched to Remain. But rather than rely on anecdote we have plenty of polling showing that a few people have switched in both directions but most people have not.

What would make a second referendum more difficult for Leavers is that a specific Leave option would be given. Some hardcore Leavers would boycott a Deal option and some softcore Leavers would vote Remain against No Deal.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kinabalu said:

Yes because there really would be no democratic crisis at all if Remain won 55:45 (so more conclusively than the original vote was won) but the decision was not reversed.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not quite the same.

You may be right, but from where I'm sitting she is less unsuitable than the main alternatives, particularly Mr. Thicky.
    Well Corbyn did manage 2 A levels in the late 1960s. Ok - they were both E grades but their present day equivalent would certainly be 2 C grades. Academically he would have been in the top 15% - 20%.
  • Options

I know of a Leaver who has switched to Remain. But rather than rely on anecdote we have plenty of polling showing that a few people have switched in both directions but most people have not.

What would make a second referendum more difficult for Leavers is that a specific Leave option would be given. Some hardcore Leavers would boycott a Deal option and some softcore Leavers would vote Remain against No Deal.

Indeed. It would be a real possibility versus the status quo, as opposed to the "all-things-to-all-bigots" approach used by the Leave campaign in 2016. I am still not convinced Remain would win though. The closed minded are unlikely to be moved by any amount of reality
  • Options

Indeed. It would be a real possibility versus the status quo, as opposed to the "all-things-to-all-bigots" approach used by the Leave campaign in 2016. I am still not convinced Remain would win though. The closed minded are unlikely to be moved by any amount of reality
    Oh, I don't know, Nigel. There was an interesting TV report from Llanelli recently which suggested it was now marginal Remain whereas it had been heavily Leave before. This appears to have something to do with the closure of a German-owned industrial plant in the area.

Some realities are harder to ignore than others.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    Where can I get one?
  • Options
    Mr.124: Corbyn went to one of the top grammar schools in the country and still only achieved 2 Es at Alevel. It would be interesting to see what percentage of his peers from that school did worse. It isn't only this though, his behaviour and his speeches all suggest he is not even close to the intellectual capabilities of people from all parties that have held high office. He might be on a par with Prescott or Andrea Loathsome, but this is not a high bar. I think if we were to do a survey of IQs across parliament it would be a safe bet to think he would be in the bottom 10%

As for him being able to negotiate a better deal with the EU, the prospect is laughable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Anorak said:
    Where can I get one?
    I think it's gonna be a long, long time.....
  • Options

Oh, I don't know, Nigel. There was an interesting TV report from Llanelli recently which suggested it was now marginal Remain whereas it had been heavily Leave before. This appears to have something to do with the closure of a German-owned industrial plant in the area.

Well, yes that is very true. Apparently Leave voters are still OK with people losing their jobs, even people in their own families. If it comes for them, that is probably where they draw the line
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Anorak said:
    It would have been a lot funnier if he'd twatted himself into that 8ft wall.
  • Options
    Let's have a good laugh at the stupid Paddies eh Mr Alanbrooke?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Anorak said:
    Where can I get one?
    I think it's gonna be a long, long time.....
    Down Selfridges, innit. Bit pricey, mind.
    https://www.aol.co.uk/video/view/you-can-actually-buy-this-jetpack-at-selfridges-for-340k/5b50901bc2ec104fe3828a72

Edit: Oh, Elton John!! V Good.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

international relations isnt your strong point, stick to shagga dog stories
  • Options
    Happy birthday, Leo.....
  • Options

Mr.124: Corbyn went to one of the top grammar schools in the country and still only achieved 2 Es at Alevel. It would be interesting to see what percentage of his peers from that school did worse. It isn't only this though, his behaviour and his speeches all suggest he is not even close to the intellectual capabilities of people from all parties that have held high office. He might be on a par with Prescott or Andrea Loathsome, but this is not a high bar. I think if we were to do a survey of IQs across parliament it would be a safe bet to think he would be in the bottom 10%

As for him being able to negotiate a better deal with the EU, the prospect is laughable.

Academically his record was better than Churchill's , and whatever advantages he enjoyed he certainly did not go to Harrow. As far as A levels are concerned, many people simply ignore - or are unaware of - the fact that under the Relative Marking system used until the end of the 1980s 30% of pupils failed the exams or were awarded an O level pass. He may well have sat a third A level - though I don't know this - and failed to get an E grade. If so, it would be highly unlikely that he would have failed to achieve such a grade today - given that a mere 2.5% do so.
  • Options

Schadenfreude is a European concecpt Nige.

Looks like Ireland's friction free, pollution heavy, freebie road bridge to the continent may be a bit slower in the future. Heart of stone etc.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    the only way this could be better is if it was EU law...

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1086214081013575680
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,012

Well, yes that is very true. Apparently Leave voters are still OK with people losing their jobs, even people in their own families. If it comes for them, that is probably where they draw the line
    Isn't that no different from the definition of a recession and a depression. A recession is a time when people you know lose their job, a depression is when you lose yours....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Anorak said:
    Or his watching CO!
  • Options

Au contraire. International relations are very much my strong point, which is why I have nothing but contempt for nasty little bigots who attempt to parade their English superiority, whilst simultaneously regularly not knowing how to put together a coherent sentence, or know where an apostrophe should be used. As for your puerile attempts at put downs, I don't think even Jeremy Corbyn would employ you.
  • Options
    ROI's gamble of a hard line approach which caused hard Brexit really does look daft.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44657460

Ireland's Central Statistics Office released figures on 29 June, which show that in 2017 553,630 loaded Ro-Ro freight containers, on lorries or trailers, were shipped from Ireland to the rest of the world.

The vast majority were heading for other ports in the EU. Only a tiny number - 24 - went to ports elsewhere. About 85% of Ireland's total EU freight trade goes via British ports - 475,925 containers last year.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2019
    Scott_P said:
    This is why May MUST make her choice - soft Brexit as it can win in Parliament and is in the national interest.
  • Options

Au contraire. International relations are very much my strong point, which is why I have nothing but contempt for nasty little bigots who attempt to parade their English superiority, whilst simultaneously regularly not knowing how to put together a coherent sentence, or know where an apostrophe should be used. As for your puerile attempts at put downs, I don't think even Jeremy Corbyn would employ you.
    woof woof
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Academically his record was better than Churchill's , and whatever advantages he enjoyed he certainly did not go to Harrow. As far as A levels are concerned, many people simply ignore - or are unaware of - the fact that under the Relative Marking system used until the end of the 1980s 30% of pupils failed the exams or were awarded an O level pass. He may well have sat a third A level - though I don't know this - and failed to get an E grade. If so, it would be highly unlikely that he would have failed to achieve such a grade today - given that a mere 2.5% do so.
    I am afraid you lost your credibility when you mentioned Churchill in the same paragraph as Corbyn. He is thick. Get over it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

TOPPING said:

Anorak said:
    Or his watching CO!
    Don't think he's the CO; he's fat enough to be the Commandant General.

@Dura?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

ROI's gamble of a hard line approach which caused hard Brexit really does look daft.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44657460

Ireland's Central Statistics Office released figures on 29 June, which show that in 2017 553,630 loaded Ro-Ro freight containers, on lorries or trailers, were shipped from Ireland to the rest of the world.

The vast majority were heading for other ports in the EU. Only a tiny number - 24 - went to ports elsewhere. About 85% of Ireland's total EU freight trade goes via British ports - 475,925 containers last year.

I reckon Leo got maximum value out of kick the brits around September October last year, he should have settled then and he would have come out well ahead. he has now hung in too long and cant back off, if it goes wrong he;s got a huge problem.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2019
    justin124 said:

Unlike Jezza, I think Churchil might have done a thing or two a bit later in life that proved he wasn't a total thickie.

Jezza on the other hand shows little to dispute that his A-Levels were indicative of his intellectual abilities.
  • Options

Yes because there really would be no democratic crisis at all if Remain won 55:45 (so more conclusively than the original vote was won) but the decision was not reversed.

Well, doesn't have to be 60%. In fact 55/45 is probably missing leg by enough.

Just the principle.

Certainly a '55' hurdle for making such a huge change in the 1st place looks quite attractive now.
  • Options

woof woof
    There you go, showing your English superiority again.... ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2019

TOPPING said:

Anorak said:
    Or his watching CO!
    Or tried to salute...
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    This is why May MUST make her choice - soft Brexit as it can win in Parliament and is in the national interest.
    Wrong choice.

She must rule out any further softening or extension or revocation. Either the EU can come back with a deal acceptable to the DUP and ERG or we no deal or those opposed to no deal can prevent it with her deal.

See two can play at that game. Everyone is demanding compromise with compromise being whatever they happen to believe already.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

No need to be rude. Anecdotal yes but interestingly matches what OGH said in yesterday's header.
    Maybe, but when I saw your name I was not surprised at which way the anecdote went.
    I hasten to add that I'm not doubting your word, but it may just be an example of the 'observer effect'.
  • Options

What a strange comment.
  • Options

woof woof
    There you go, showing your English superiority again.... ;)
    His wit and intellect shines out through PB like a beacon in a fog of mediocrity
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,764
    I have a slightly different issue. My input system has identified "Brexit" as a swear word/offensive language and keeps trying to change it to something else to spare my sensitivities.
  • Options
    felix said:

What a strange comment.
    Well I only wrote it once. However, it was meant to indicate Mr Alanbrooke's misplaced sense of superiority to all people foreign.
  • Options

felix said:

Scott_P said:
    Wrong choice.

She must rule out any further softening or extension or revocation. Either the EU can come back with a deal acceptable to the DUP and ERG or we no deal or those opposed to no deal can prevent it with her deal.

See two can play at that game. Everyone is demanding compromise with compromise being whatever they happen to believe already.
    Oh dear...
  • Options

felix said:

Scott_P said:
    Wrong choice.

There is no majority for that line. Maybe try reading the post next time.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Unlike Jezza, I think Churchil might have done a thing or two a bit later in life that proved he wasn't a total thickie.

Jezza on the other hand shows little to dispute that his A-Levels were indicative of his intellectual abilities.
    I think his A levels were probably his high water mark of intellectual attainment
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Be interesting to see how many candidates there are at the first Democrat debate.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

You really are thick, do you actually ever read any posts other than your own.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Everyone is demanding compromise with compromise being whatever they happen to believe already.

Tha about sums it up.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Oh Ye of little faith. As it says in the book of momentum chapter 3 -
    And so the blessed grandpa will defeat the evil stone woman and he shall rise up on the clouds and travel to the city of Brussels. There the scribes shall bow before him and agree to the custom of taxation he wishes.

Jeremy the momentous shall then return to London and after taking a period of solemn reflection in his vegetable garden, he shall then return to Westminster to establish his socialist paradise
  • Options

felix said:

What a strange comment.
    Well I only wrote it once. However, it was meant to indicate Mr Alanbrooke's misplaced sense of superiority to all people foreign.
    Except he didn't - you made a reference to 'paddies'.
  • Options

felix said:

What a strange comment.
  • Options

:-)

Re-running the EU referendum, although the worst idea since the original Breville Sandwich Toaster, is something I can just about get my head around.

That is very much not the case with WW2 - although some do seem to be still fighting it.

"The European Union is a tool of German hegemony over Europe. What Hitler failed to achieve with his messerschmitts and panzer divisions is being insidiously and relentlessly forced upon the continent by other means."

I keep hearing.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Afternoon all :)

As we approach the end of an extraordinary week, are we much the wiser? As most of us expected, May's Withdrawal Agreement was heavily defeated in the Commons - whether many of us thought it would go down so heavily I don't know - but I still get the sense it is no Norwegian Blue and is still there in the background.

I said on Monday five things wouldn't happen - these included a Second Referendum, Revocation of A50 and a GE. The polls might offer the Conservatives a window of opportunity but 230 was a big margin and there's no guarantee the new Conservative intake would be full of May loyalists itching to vote for her Deal.

At the moment then it's No Deal and the consequences thereof. I imagine a mutually agreed extension to A50 is more than possible but to do what? Additional preparations for leaving without a Deal - possibly but I keep hearing this notion of the permanent CU.

Both May and Corbyn face significant difficulties - May has a policy her Party doesn't want while Corbyn doesn't have a policy but his Party wants one.

As an aside, I'm inclined to the view that IF we had a second vote, LEAVE would win again and possibly by a larger margin but that's all obfuscation. The problem is more immediate and I suspect the can should be ready for another kicking as I see little alternative to an extension to A50 at this time.
  • Options

Oh Ye of little faith. As it says in the book of momentum chapter 3 -
    And so the blessed grandpa will defeat the evil stone woman and he shall rise up on the clouds and travel to the city of Brussels. There the scribes shall bow before him and agree to the custom of taxation he wishes.

Jeremy the momentous shall then return to London and after taking a period of solemn reflection in his vegetable garden, he shall then return to Westminster to establish his socialist paradise
    Wow, how did you access the official biography? I didn't think it was going to be released until after these events have happened?
  • Options

justin124 said:

I understand your point , but people need to be a little careful in labelling those who emerged with E grades at A level in the 1960s as being 'thick'. The reality was different in that such exams were much more difficult to pass than their present day successors bearing the same name. I sat A levels at a Grammar School in the early 1970s and recall that only circa 50% of the original intake went on to enter the sixth form. Five years earlier - when Corbyn took his A levels - the sixth form was even smaller. I also recall a fair number sitting three A levels who ended up with three O level passes - ie they failed the lot! In my own year there were also boys who achieved B and D grades - 2 Bs and a D - yet gained entry to Oxbridge.Those boys today would at the very least have managed 2 As and a B.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    'Top' minister?? Does anyone take Penny Splash seriously??
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

:-)

Re-running the EU referendum, although the worst idea since the original Breville Sandwich Toaster, is something I can just about get my head around.

That is very much not the case with WW2...
    It's more shitskrieg than blitzkrieg....
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    stodge said:

As an aside, I'm inclined to the view that IF we had a second vote, LEAVE would win again and possibly by a larger margin but that's all obfuscation. The problem is more immediate and I suspect the can should be ready for another kicking as I see little alternative to an extension to A50 at this time.

Afternoon stodge.

Leave winning by a bigger margin probably a good thing, would give legitimacy to the result in enough peoples eyes that you could force through a hard or maybe even a no deal Brexit through parliament with little objection.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

What a strange comment.
    You seem to have a problem repeating repeating repeating yourself. Anyway, I am sorry you don't understand irony, I used the term in a way that I though someone who held such views might. Also, as I am half Irish myself, I thought it was OK.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Scott_P said:

the only way this could be better is if it was EU law...

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1086214081013575680

Well I suppose if you aren't bothered about things like truth and facts then trifles like copyright law can be dismissed at will.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    It is still very disappointing to see people that should have learnt how things work over the past 2 odd years, still do not have a clue. The 22% illustrated is nothing to do with the WTO but everything to do with the Common External Tariff or more correctly the EU.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445

felix said:

Scott_P said:
    Wrong choice.

Given that the Remain supporting MPs profess to be so concerned about the economy, I think further talks that are not about fleshing out the future trading relationship are pointless but they are unlikely to swing MPs. Any further talks should be about trade.

The EU won’t agree to that because the WA traps us in the backstop with no way out unless we take the terms that are given to us by the EU.

Norway solves the trade issue but is effectively EU membership excluding the CAP and CFP. Signing up to paying for trade, Single Market Rules, the Common External Tariff and continues freedom of movement is not going to persuade Leave MPs.

It’s gridlock and the effective choice is therefore no deal or Brexit.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    felix said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:
    Wrong choice.

There is no majority for that line. Maybe try reading the post next time.
    The easiest hundred votes for a deal are those from the DUP and the Tories. To get them she needs to remove the in perpetuity nature of the backstop. Why it cannot be subject to a a50 two year notice I don’t know.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:
    'Top' minister?? Does anyone take Penny Splash seriously??
    She is now The Voice of No Deal Brexit in the Cabinet.

Unlike Boris.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Anorak said:

Another muppet who takes video the wrong way around.

This discussion has been closed.