Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever you think of Bercow it is right that the executive ha

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Michael Gove warns MPs 'winter is coming' if they reject deal as Theresa May's odds of crushing defeat increase"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/15/brexit-vote-latest-news-parliament-result-deal-theresa-may-commons/
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Of course, the government’s support for the Murrison amendment - tacit or overt - shows precisely why the EU feels the backstop is necessary. The UK cannot be trusted to stick with agreements it has made.

Any agreement between Barnier and Robbins is made with the assumption that it has to be agreed by Parly.

So there is no agreement to be broken - yet.

The government has agreed. It is now seemingly supporting an amendment that would render what it had agreed to void. It cannot be trusted.

The government can agree - but it can't sign up until the House has given its consent.

You can wilfully ignore this but its always an overt rule of the negotiation.

The government can make clear it opposes the amendment.

It could but given it's obvious that the deal as is cannot pass the house that a would be dog in a manger stuff.

Which takes us back to the UK not being a trustworthy party with which to negotiate.

Only in your mind.

A government that signs an agreement and then backs amendments in the House of Commons that render the agreement void is a government that cannot be trusted. That's just a matter of simple fact.
    Or it is politics in this mad climate
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

eek said:

I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again. Why when an extension requires all 27 EU countries to vote for it is everyone so sure that 1 country won't veto it...

There's no certainty, but on the relatively minor question of an extension, there would be a very strong wish in the EU to remain united, and so the probability is that it would pass (assuming there's a good reason for it). But no guarantee, of course.
    Given that any extension beyond mid May would leave us as members of the EU as the European Parliament is subject to election I'm really not as sure as other people are about that.

At any other period during an European Parliament I could understand it but I suspect the timing makes it harder than it would otherwise be,.
    That is July. Now, I accept that it isn't the five to ten years necessary to conclude a trade agreement but it will do in the interim. And it certainly gives enough time for a second referendum.
    And if the result was to revoke and remain - then the entire election is a problem as the other countries have additional MEPs in our seats (for example France had 74 in 2014 but will have 79 in 2019)?
    I think in the scheme of things these are relatively trivial. If there weren't half a dozen EU apparatchiks working on it as I type then I would be amazed.
    Already sorted. Legislation passed to deal both with us still being nembers and electing MEPs after all and then subsequently leaving anyway.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    edited January 2019

Polruan said:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1085065153035583488

Note the heavy overlap of signatories with my list of uncommitted MPs. This looks like a list of MPs who would like to be loyal but are struggling to do so.

This amendment makes absolutely no sense to me. Can someone explain it?
    It’s an attempt to deal with the EU’s reluctance to negotiate further until the U.K. has a unified position that will pass Parliament. If the amendment passes, then it wrecks the Bill, which means the Bill could pass because it no longer implements the WA. May can then say ‘look, the backstop really is the only problem, can’t you get rid of it?’

If that cunning plan works, it also means we never see how badly the WA is defeated, which in turn means that the EU say ‘but you haven’t voted on our agreement, so we’re not doing anything else until you have that vote.’

Yep - it’s a vote for a No Deal.

Presumably you have piled on the generous odds available Southam?

This all has the whiff of President Mitt Romney to me.

You always boosterise the outcome you oppose, sometimes you turn out right, sometimes you turn out wrong.

But, you are equally emphatic in all cases, as my Euro election betting victory against you in favour of Amnesty International proves.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

You cannot have a single market without freedom of movement.

In general, yes, a single market would work better if people are free to move to work anywhere in the market without unnecessary restrictions or conditions.

But the argument is really about what restrictions or conditions are necessary e.g. should one insist that a minimum level of language proficiency is needed or that benefits or tax credits can only be paid after a minimum period of time has been spent in the country/income earned, even if that is different to the conditions applicable to citizens? It seems to me that much of the FoM arguments are about a sense that some people - obviously quite a lot - have that British citizens should be seen as special in their own country and that while it is OK to have someone from Greece or whoever come to a job here it somehow feels unfair if they can come here and get priority over a British person on the housing list, for instance. Or get tax credits the minute they start working. It may be illogical from an economic perspective. But it is not just about the economics, is it?

It is the combination of FoM and the non-discrimination rules of the EU which cause issues, I think. Now on the whole I am in favour of removing discriminatory rules. But that means that in Britain British people are no more special than French people or Bulgarians or whoever. And that is the whole point of the EU - that it is one big melting pot where people from its different nations move freely as if there is no distinction between them.

What the EU has not understood I think that some of the peoples within it have a strong sense of their own national identity and value this and do think that a nation's priority should be its own people i.e. British citizens and that people coming here from elsewhere are in a sense visitors who need to earn their place here.

Also, let's face it - Britain has received far more of the FoM than other countries. If, say, France had received proportionately the same number from other countries, mostly located in one part of the country with consequent pressures on housing, transport etc, do you really think they wouldn't have kicked up a fuss about this oh-so-precious-and-indivisible-freedom? Let's not be naive here.

FoM is generally a good thing. But it has its costs and challenges precisely because people are not like goods and services and other intangibles. And the EU has been dishonest and disingenuous in not understanding this and seeking to craft a policy which ignored peoples' feelings on this. A lack of political empathy and emotional intelligence - on both it and the British government's part - has landed us where we are.
  • Options

Gilet Jaune attack 60% of speed cameras in France.

Government announces considering raising the speed limit.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/French-minister-says-that-80kph-speed-limit-could-revert-back-to-90kph-if-it-does-not-save-lives

Democracy in action.

Ah, I hadn't though of the 2011 English riots as an exercise in democracy, but if you say so.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Beth Rigby on Sky saying the DUP may back the Murrison amendment

So, May goes back to EU and says I want time limit.

Again, it's a no.

This is can kicking again.

No deal hoves into view
    I think this is the point @southamobserver is making about the motivations of some Tory supporters of the amendment: it allows May to carry on playing ‘nothing has changed’ for perhaps another month, and as a result reduces the time in which the grown-ups have options to avert no deal.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

#qtwtain

Had to look that one up. And, OK, I agree. No chance. Which is great because I am as keen as the next man to see what Plan B will be. I suspect something along the following lines:

"My people. They have only gone and done it. MPs have rejected the best and only negotiated exit from the European Union. It's a damn shame but nothing has changed. I am still your Prime Minister and I am still resolved to deliver on the referendum instruction that we leave the EU. It is my duty. So I will go to Brussels and obtain some further assurances, then I will give parliament a second and final chance to vote on it, knowing that if they reject it again we are nonetheless leaving on 29th March. If colleagues wish some other outcome, and bearing in mind that the Leader of the Opposition is as keen as I am that we honour the referendum, then they need to turn their fancy talk of replacing my government with some sort of Grand Unity Coalition into reality. I bet they can't. In the meantime we go back to work. Thank you."
    I think that could be quite a reasonable summary of TM response, though maybe expressed slightly differently
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    This whole situation could have been avoided if both Labour and Tory MPs didn’t stand under manifestos they did not agree with.

Another failure of FPTP.

Another election will solve nothing.
  • Options
    Press Association has May losing by a much narrower margin - 127.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Chris said:

I may win on the roundabout
    Then I'll lose on the swings
    In or out, there is never a doubt
    Just who's pulling the strings
    I'm all tied up to you
    But where's it leading me to?

:-)

Many would say that 'Puppet on a String' is more appropriate for TM than either of mine.

But let's see. She may surprise us all with a Plan B of breath-taking audacity that nobody has even thought of.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Of course, the government’s support for the Murrison amendment - tacit or overt - shows precisely why the EU feels the backstop is necessary. The UK cannot be trusted to stick with agreements it has made.

Any agreement between Barnier and Robbins is made with the assumption that it has to be agreed by Parly.

The government has agreed. It is now seemingly supporting an amendment that would render what it had agreed to void. It cannot be trusted.

The government can agree - but it can't sign up until the House has given its consent.

It could but given it's obvious that the deal as is cannot pass the house that a would be dog in a manger stuff.

Which takes us back to the UK not being a trustworthy party with which to negotiate.

So then the EU should wave us off into the sunset....

Yep, as I say - it's hard to see how No Deal is avoided from here.

• Options
    Anazina said:

Polruan said:

Note the heavy overlap of signatories with my list of uncommitted MPs. This looks like a list of MPs who would like to be loyal but are struggling to do so.

It’s an attempt to deal with the EU’s reluctance to negotiate further until the U.K. has a unified position that will pass Parliament. If the amendment passes, then it wrecks the Bill, which means the Bill could pass because it no longer implements the WA. May can then say ‘look, the backstop really is the only problem, can’t you get rid of it?’

If that cunning plan works, it also means we never see how badly the WA is defeated, which in turn means that the EU say ‘but you haven’t voted on our agreement, so we’re not doing anything else until you have that vote.’

You always boosterise the outcome you oppose, sometimes you turn out right, sometimes you turn out wrong.

But, you are equally emphatic in all cases, as my Euro election betting victory against you in favour of Amnesty International proves.

I really don't need the money - and I could well be wrong. But I genuinely do not see how No Deal is avoided from here. The government effectively giving its support to the Murrison amendment is the clincher for me.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Only in your mind.

A government that signs an agreement and then backs amendments in the House of Commons that render the agreement void is a government that cannot be trusted. That's just a matter of simple fact.
    Not if the agreement has already been voted down it isn't.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1085142850642341889?s=21

Can anyone please explain this bill? I don’t understand it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Submarine, that implies something like 250-260 MPs supporting her deal, right?

That sounds optimistic compared to most of the mood music.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

So, May goes back to EU and says I want time limit.

Again, it's a no.

This is can kicking again.

No deal hoves into view
    I think this is the point @southamobserver is making about the motivations of some Tory supporters of the amendment: it allows May to carry on playing ‘nothing has changed’ for perhaps another month, and as a result reduces the time in which the grown-ups have options to avert no deal.

Precisely. It seems to me that Mrs May has accepted we are heading towards a No Deal and her usual cackhanded way is now seeking to shift the blame for the consequences onto Brussels.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249

Anazina said:

Polruan said:

I really don't need the money - and I could well be wrong. But I genuinely do not see how No Deal is avoided from here. The government effectively giving its support to the Murrison amendment is the clincher for me.

May probably thinks the EU will agree to the time limit.

Talk about bunker and the armies in the North.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    kinabalu said:

Chris said:

I may win on the roundabout
    Then I'll lose on the swings
    In or out, there is never a doubt
    Just who's pulling the strings
    I'm all tied up to you
    But where's it leading me to?

:-)

Many would say that 'Puppet on a String' is more appropriate for TM than either of mine.

But let's see. She may surprise us all with a Plan B of breath-taking audacity that nobody has even thought of.
    We become the 51st state?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Looking at that list of names where would we be if some MPs hadn't decided to allow J Corbyn to stand for the leadership in 2015?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TM has been consistent we leave on the 29th March. She has also ruled out extending A50 or a referendum so I would expect her to negotiate the backstop over several weeks and put an amended deal to the HOC and by then it must be very difficult for disorganised mps to be able to get legislation stopping no deal

I hope not but it does look more likely
  • Options

It makes an application to extend A50 the default in the absence of a WA not no deal. It originally was to revoke but they've watered it down to attract more support.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Only in your mind.

Not if the agreement has already been voted down it isn't.

That’s the point: the discussion is about the implications of the government supporting the amendment *before* its bill has been voted down.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Is this the way through? If the ERG do likewise and May returns to Brussels saying that I can only get the WA through if there is a time limit on the backstop will they say yes? I think it would depend on the Irish but there seems to have been some real signs of panic there in the last couple of weeks.

I think that this is the amendment to watch.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Useful thing for May to stick under Mutti's nose.

"There is a way out, Angela....."

The amendment is an opportunity for MPs to vote for a No Deal Brexit, nothing more.

It is an opportunity for MPs to highlight that there is a particular aspect of the current deal that is preventing them from supporting it.

We know that already. Those supporting it are supporting a No Deal Brexit. Presumably it’s an attempt to pin the blame on the EU27 for the consequences. I doubt it will work. That ship has sailed.

No - there are some who would support the deal if there was an end date or unilateral notice period.

Which isn't a no deal Brexit.
    So...there are people who would support the deal if it was a different deal.

Pause.

Well, that was helpful...😀
  • Options
    Bet MPs can't wait for Social Care questions to be wrapped up, so they can crack on with taking us over the cliff.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Polruan said:

It really depends on whether the Irish are willing to risk no deal. I think the EU will show solidarity with them but I doubt they would insist on this if the Irish didn't.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is this the way through? If the ERG do likewise and May returns to Brussels saying that I can only get the WA through if there is a time limit on the backstop will they say yes? I think it would depend on the Irish but there seems to have been some real signs of panic there in the last couple of weeks.

How can a backstop have a time limit - especially one that expires before the backstop would ever come into force? It is absurd.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Yes - if Bercow allows it. He may not.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If May returns to Brussels saying ‘I can only get the backstop through provided that you agree amendments to the backstop so that it’s not a backstop’ then it’s possible we’ll be able to hear the laughter from this side of the channel.
  • Options
    Spot the Tory leadership contenders. Personal ambition and self-interest come first every single time ...
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1085145840719667201
  • Options

DavidL said:

How can a backstop have a time limit - especially one that expires before the backstop would ever come into force? It is absurd.

It is the heart of the problem
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Spot the Tory leadership contenders. Personal ambition and self-interest come first every single time ...

Gove remarkably silent...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

He needs to allow all amendments or he risks mps openly defying him and causing chaos
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's genius - a backstop which expires before it comes into force wouldn't be temporary, so should be acceptable to the Irish.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    So, I suppose all this fuckwittery means that I'd better order my Siemens kitchen pronto so that it gets here before 29th March.....

Righto.

I'll come back later when all this Brexit malarkey has been sorted.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

I think that could be quite a reasonable summary of TM response, though maybe expressed slightly differently

Yes, I am not, alas, her speechwriter, so no doubt it will be delivered in mayspeak.

But it has to be (i) press on or (ii) pivot or (iii) resign, and I rank them in that order in terms of probability.
  • Options

DavidL said:

We've had enough of experts thank you. :lol:
  • Options
    eek said:

Gove was on R4 at 8am this morning backing the deal - he was on superb form. He would make an excellent PM.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

He needs to allow all amendments or he risks mps openly defying him and causing chaos
    I think he showed last week he doesn't care a fig about MPs.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Of course its absurd. But we are where we are as some war criminal once said.
  • Options

What on earth are the Germans thinking? This just ups the anti-deal vote!

https://twitter.com/ReutersUK/status/1085121753729388544

And it was going to be so close!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    What are the rules for calling amendments?

Does the Speaker have complete discretion about which amendments he calls?
  • Options
    eek said:

He's too busy texting NewtonDunn.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Of course its absurd. But we are where we are as some war criminal once said.

We'll just have to hope you are right about No Deal!

• Options

Dishonest Germans - supporting the Murrison amendment - Southam will be outraged.
  • Options

DavidL said:

We've had enough of experts thank you. :lol:
    LOL!
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's genius - a backstop which expires before it comes into force wouldn't be temporary, so should be acceptable to the Irish.

There's a flaw in that argument somewhere.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    I think that is what we should have. Otherwise MPs will be voting for an adulteratd deal that isn't even on offer.

May's Deal is what is on the table today. No fudging.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

Tonight is different. Most of the nation will be watching and if there is an open rebellion against Bercow it would be a disaster for politics, the nation, and of course Bercow himself
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes, I am not, alas, her speechwriter, so no doubt it will be delivered in mayspeak.

But it has to be (i) press on or (ii) pivot or (iii) resign, and I rank them in that order in terms of probability.
    The thing is that your version is a pivot of a sort, because it makes it very clear that she'll go for No Deal over A50 extension, revocation, 2nd ref, etc., That may force the hand of some Tory MPs to resign the whip, though I don't see it being enough to pass a vonc.
  • Options
    I will be out of the country on 29th March. It will be a huge bonus if No Deal chaos means I am not able to get back in again.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

Tonight is different. Most of the nation will be watching and if there is an open rebellion against Bercow it would be a disaster for politics, the nation, and of course Bercow himself
    Nah, this is pure bubble stuff.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625

Will the penny drop - only a Labour-friendly deal can pass in Parliament.
  • Options

And now Germany denying it. They are as chaotic as everyone else
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

The Con backbench amendments have a chance of allowing Brexit to proceed - logical thinking is that hence Bercow will block.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

It makes an application to extend A50 the default in the absence of a WA not no deal. It originally was to revoke but they've watered it down to attract more support.
    It won't work. The extention is relient on the EU27 agreeing, which they won't for any old reason.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I will be out of the country on 29th March. It will be a huge bonus if No Deal chaos means I am not able to get back in again.

Yes, but who for?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

The Con backbench amendments have a chance of allowing Brexit to proceed - logical thinking is that hence Bercow will block.
    How would they allow Brexit to proceed?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

So will only a Tory friendly one.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

As discussed - if the Con backbencher amendments pass - or come closer than May's deal to passing- it shows further adjustments to the deal could allow Parly to pass it.

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710
    Can I ask the wonks if I am reading tonight correctly:

Parliament has only four options left:
    Remain (revoke); Deal; No Deal; Don't decide - Second referedum

Problem I see is:

Parliament have ruled out no deal.
    Parliament are likely to rule out the deal.
    The Government have ruled out a second referendum.
    The Government have ruled out revoke Article 50.

So the only REAL options are:

[1] Change of government, to one which would be prepared to entertain either a second referendum or revoke.
    [2] Change the deal, to one more acceptable to Parliament.

[1] Requires EITHER the Prime Minister to go (And she’s being a bloody difficult woman and refusing to resign); OR the Governing Party to go.
    [2] Requires the EU to make some concessions, and they have consistently said the legal text cannot change.

The Prime Minister won’t resign, and she’s safe from internal party mechanisms for another 11 months now after December’s failed internal VoNC in her.
    The Government can’t change because Labour don’t have enough Parliamentary support.
    The Labour party can’t get a VoNC through Parliament.
    Even if they do, all it does is force a General Election, which may not change the Parliamentary numbers at all (And it takes at least three weeks)
    The EU won’t change the deal.

Are we completely and utterly screwed?
  • Options

Official Labour can not afford to support anything because they are split like the Conservatives. Especially Corbyn is pro Brexit but doe not want to alienate the 70% of his party who are pro Remain.
  • Options

Yes, but who for?

All concerned, obviously!

• Options
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

As discussed - if the Con backbencher amendments pass - or come closer than May's deal to passing- it shows further adjustments to the deal could allow Parly to pass it.

That's already extremely obvious, though
  • Options

[2] Requires the EU to make some concessions, and they have consistently said the legal text cannot change.

No - as the Con backbench amendments even if they fail to pass by a small number of votes could point a huge finger at (2) above as a potential feasible way forward.

Hence why remainers are so anti these amendments.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

eek said:

Gove was on R4 at 8am this morning backing the deal - he was on superb form. He would make an excellent PM.

It’s only Gove doing it’s thing baby
    It’s only Gove that you’re feeling
    It’s only Gove doing it’s thing baby
    It’s only Gove that you’re giving

• Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

That's already extremely obvious, though
    The numbers from an actual vote of MPs could make all the difference - if the numbers don't change much then further negotiations pointless.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Furious Remainers continue to flock from Labour to the LibDems.
  • Options
    "atya adler

@BBCkatyaadler
    11m11 minutes ago
    More
    OR b) MPs unite around one particular change to deal and PM tells Brussels that parliament will approve agreement if they grant that change. In that case EU will likely be more flexible that has indicated so far. Leaders want to avoid a no deal Brexit "
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I think that is what we should have. Otherwise MPs will be voting for an adulteratd deal that isn't even on offer.

May's Deal is what is on the table today. No fudging.
    Right. MPs can vote on adding a time limit to the backstop when the Commons debates what to do next on Monday. There's no need to get ahead of ourselves.

Except that doing so would prevent that debate from happening, so that the only plan B is the ERG plan B.
  • Options

Problem I see is:

[1] Change of government, to one which would be prepared to entertain either a second referendum or revoke.

[1] Requires EITHER the Prime Minister to go (And she’s being a bloody difficult woman and refusing to resign); OR the Governing Party to go.

The Prime Minister won’t resign, and she’s safe from internal party mechanisms for another 11 months now after December’s failed internal VoNC in her.
    The Government can’t change because Labour don’t have enough Parliamentary support.
    Even if they do, all it does is force a General Election, which may not change the Parliamentary numbers at all (And it takes at least three weeks)

Yep. So it becomes a game of "guess who blinks". If Parliament, we get May's deal. If the EU, we get May's deal minus the backstop. If May herself, we get- most likely- a second referendum. If nobody, we get No Deal.

For my own prediction, the May blinking option seems most likely to me, closely followed by No Deal. My reasoning for that is that May already has a track record for giving in, and to her a second referendum would represent the way to keep her deal on life support for longest which fits her can-kicking MO. No Deal is a close runner up based on the simple logic that it's the default, and everyone's very entrenched at this point.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TM has been consistent we leave on the 29th March. She has also ruled out extending A50 or a referendum so I would expect her to negotiate the backstop over several weeks and put an amended deal to the HOC and by then it must be very difficult for disorganised mps to be able to get legislation stopping no deal

That would be a dreadful approach, essentially holding us hostage.
  • Options
    Bercow on fine form, telling spurious point of order MPs to FO.
  • Options
    Boles Bill presented.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I suppose it depends on your view. Dreadful to some, acceptable to others.

And no, I do not want no deal
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Succeeding paragraphs in the BBC coverage...

Theresa May has held a Cabinet meeting this morning, saying the government is "the servant of the people" and that she "passionately" believes it has to deliver on the referendum result.

For the first time, the polling - carried out in mid-December and early January - found a majority in favour of a new referendum in every part of Britain.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

"atya adler

@BBCkatyaadler
    11m11 minutes ago
    More
    OR b) MPs unite around one particular change to deal and PM tells Brussels that parliament will approve agreement if they grant that change. In that case EU will likely be more flexible that has indicated so far. Leaders want to avoid a no deal Brexit "
    Huh, interesting. And what does the next tweet after that one say?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Acceptable to May, her dwindling band of apologists and no dealers. Dreadful to pretty much everyone else.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    NB if the Murrison amendment fails, as it presumably will, those previously-uncommitted MPs who backed it will presumably vote against the deal.
  • Options
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Acceptable to May, her dwindling band of apologists and no dealers. Dreadful to pretty much everyone else.
    I wish the no dealers were a diminishing band but there is no evidence they are and of course the DUP supports their cause with Arlene Foster appearing with Rabb and Davis this morning

The Country divides three ways into no deal - deal - remain with little sign of a breakthrough
  • Options
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2019

Problem I see is:

The immediate options are: Revoke A50; Deal; No Deal. However ... Revoke could come with a referendum; Deal could pivot to another state - eg Soft Brexit, Remain/Rejoin; No Deal isn't necessarily the last word (it's unsustainable IMO). They could ask for an extension to the A50, if the EU agree.
  • Options
    Thanks Debbie.

That will do now.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I'm starting to think that ensuring she couldn't be replaced for a year was a cunning plan by the ERG
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

NB if the Murrison amendment fails, as it presumably will, those previously-uncommitted MPs who backed it will presumably vote against the deal.

Presumably.

I don’t see any real positives for the Govt position in any remaining unknown.

News out of Germany and Katya Adler is all going to lead to undecideds voting against, I think.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Oh good. Now MPs can break up making the same speeches about their Brexit positions over and over with bitching at Bercow.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How the hell did he reach that decision?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    By the way, wouldn't the Leigh & Baron amendments have essentially the same effect as the Murrison amendment?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I'm starting to think that ensuring she couldn't be replaced for a year was a cunning plan by the ERG
    Having an impotent PM remain in office was always in their interest once withdrawal had been legislated for, given most of them don't believe No Deal will cause any significant problems.

That is to some extent true of the DUP too. While no deal is likely a great deal worse for NI than for rUK, the current parliamentary arrangement gives them an influence they will almost certainly never again possess.
This discussion has been closed.